Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,145 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters (19990 Views)

Fashola Mocked On Twitter For Blaming GEJ Over Lekki Robbery With #fasholajoker / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by SEGAD: 10:51am On Dec 13, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

What El-rufai did in Abuja is what Lagos needs now. But unlike Abuja, Lagos governors are elected. This is why its going to be a bit difficult for Fashola and ACN to go all out on implementing some of these things. A lot of our people are used to the government providing everything for them. Trying to change this mentality abruptly may cost the ACN elections so the approach has to be gradual.

@Akanbi_edu, can you please highlights those things government are providing for the people.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by brainpulse: 11:32am On Dec 13, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

What El-rufai did in Abuja is what Lagos needs now. But unlike Abuja, Lagos governors are elected. This is why its going to be a bit difficult for Fashola and ACN to go all out on implementing some of these things. A lot of our people are used to the government providing everything for them. Trying to change this mentality abruptly may cost the ACN elections so the approach has to be gradual.

Imagine if Fashola had cleared Oshodi when elections were around the corner? Oshodi looks better today and everybody can see it. In the same manner, people need to use the Lekki road, pay for services rendered and see a proper maintenance culture. Then they would be able to appreciate the idea. In the nearest future, I guess it won't be so difficult to convince them.

Coogar, I think Fashola knows what to do but just being gradual in the process. It takes a lot to change peoples' mentality, that should be obvious by even the comments from so called university graduates on this website. Some of then even live where they pay for almost every public service they get.
University graduates were thought to think and make logical decisions, I know you are not a graduate because you dont think for yourself. Go and google the functions of Government and tell me the ones they are doing well. If you were elected by the pople and the same people says your policies are anti- social and anti-people then you av one choice to resign and not force your policies down the throat. How many times has the goverment come out to tell Nigerians that they will reduce the salaries of people in government all what they know is about there pockets. With the increament of LASU school fees shows that Fashola is demonic
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by fushi: 11:44am On Dec 13, 2011
Lekki for Show.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Akanbiedu(m): 11:51am On Dec 13, 2011
Coogar, see what I am saying.

This one thinks paying $1500 a year for university education is demonic

brainpulse:

University graduates were thought to think and make logical decisions, I know you are not a graduate because you dont think for yourself. Go and google the functions of Government and tell me the ones they are doing well. If you were elected by the pople and the same people says your policies are anti- social and anti-people then you av one choice to resign and not force your policies down the throat. How many times has the goverment come out to tell Nigerians that they will reduce the salaries of people in government all what they know is about there pockets. [size=15pt]With the increament of LASU school fees shows that Fashola is demonic[/size]

And this one wants to know what the government is providing for the people.

SEGAD:

@Akanbi_edu, can you please highlights those things government are providing for the people.

Yet, every four years, these are the people the government will return to for votes.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 11:52am On Dec 13, 2011
i think Akanbi got it wrong this time.
Government provides next to nothing for the people

security
good roads
electricity
justice
healthcare

are the very basic things one would expect from a government. for a variety of reasons NO government in Nigeria is delivering on this.

On this toll gate issue. There is something very fishy about the government's approach to this whole saga.

They have clearly failed to consult with those affected by this decision.
The decision to enter such a long term contract with terms which are so unfavourable to the government raises so many questions.
Of particular interest is the question of why the government itself did not build this road and collect the toll itself. The cost of the road is relatively NOT that high.
This is the same area in which the free trade zone is located and so the government has an interest in this road.
How open and transparent was the process that led to the choosing of this company which from all indications has no track record.
i am sure the residents could have collaborated with government and[b] formed a partnership to build this road for themselves so that the collected toll reverts back to the community [/b]. this is something that could have come out of sincere,open consultation
Finally the proposed charges seem very high and the government has not managed this issue well in the media. i am afraid I am beginning to see some autocratic tendencies with this ACN group and I am doubtful that our salvation lies with them. we have to renew our search
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by MyloXyloto: 11:53am On Dec 13, 2011
God is set to punish these stupid Tinubu and Fashola a*ss lickers like Eko Ile, AkanbiEdu and Coogar.

You want already poor Nigerians to be more impoverished just because Tinubu wants to be richer at all costs.

Yet una go open that una useless mouth dey curse PDP whereas una no better pass dem. God go punish una well well and e go cause dat una useless hand to catch leprosy since una sabi type nonsense. Especially that Eko-Ile. As u talk say Lagosians must suffer because of the greed of your master, na so you and your useless toto go dey drip water and suffer.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Akanbiedu(m): 12:16pm On Dec 13, 2011
aribisala0:

i think Akanbi got it wrong this time.
Government provides next to nothing for the people

security
good roads
electricity
justice
healthcare

are the very basic things one would expect from a government. for a variety of reasons NO government in Nigeria is delivering on this.

On this toll gate issue. There is something very fishy about the government's approach to this whole saga.

They have clearly failed to consult with those affected by this decision.
The decision to enter such a long term contract with terms which are so unfavourable to the government raises so many questions.
Of particular interest is the question of why the government itself did not build this road and collect the toll itself. The cost of the road is relatively NOT that high.
This is the same area in which the free trade zone is located and so the government has an interest in this road.

How open an transparent was the process that led to the choosing of this company which from all indications has no track record.
Finally the proposed charges seem very high and the government has not managed this issue well in the media. i am afraid I am beginning to see some autocratic tendencies with this ACN group and I am doubtful that our salvation lies with them. we have to renew our search

Aribisala, Please lets separate the federal government from the state government on this issue.

Security: Even though security is largely in the hands of FG, lagosians can attest to the fact that security in Lagos has improved tremendously. Just that security is one of those things governments expend so much energy on that people hardly notice. It's only if they see a bomb may be once that everybody starts shouting. to put things in perspective, you needs to see statistics of crime rate in Lagos and analyse lets say from 1999 till date. You will surely see an improvement.

Electricity equally is in the hands of FG. The Nigerian law does not even permit transmission by private or state governments as we speak. All Lagos efforst in the past have been seriuosly hindered by the Nigerian statutes related to power generation, transmission and distribution. I believe you are quite aware of the Nigerian situation in this case. This statutes are basically motivated by national security concerns. For how long this will remain, I don't know.

Apart from security and Justice, others like roads, electricity and healthcare are no longer basic if you asked me. These are purely economic problems nowadays and any attempt to solve them using social means is going to fail IMO. In the sense that, we are now in global village and countries are becoming more dependent on other countries. Even security can no longer be said to basic nowadays. So government has to make policies that is at least 70% based on sound economic principles to ensure sustenability of these projects.

My friend, the idea of searching for salvation is quite funny to me though. If I were you, I would be looking for better alternatives not a saviour.

You asked why government couldn't build an operate. That's surely a good question. I will try as much as possible to answer that but I feel its a whole new idea that has to be discussed. brb
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Rad1cal: 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Aribisala, Please lets separate the federal government from the state government on this issue.

Security: Even though security is largely in the hands of FG, lagosians can attest to the fact that security in Lagos has improved tremendously

That is a lie . .the security situation has been low in recent months . Who are you trying to deceive here  . Which Lagos are you referencing

Akanbi_edu:

Security: Even though security is largely in the hands of FG, lagosians can attest to the fact that security in Lagos has improved tremendously. Just that security is one of those things governments expend so much energy on that people hardly notice. It's only if they see a bomb may be once that everybody starts shouting. to put things in perspective, you needs to see statistics of crime rate in Lagos and analyse lets say from 1999 till date. You will surely see an improvement.

brb

Hope you memorize this quote for future referencing . .cos it might come in useful
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 1:00pm On Dec 13, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Electricity equally is in the hands of FG. The Nigerian law does not even permit transmission by private or state governments as we speak. All Lagos efforst in the past have been seriuosly hindered by the Nigerian statutes related to power generation, transmission and distribution. I believe you are quite aware of the Nigerian situation in this case. This statutes are basically motivated by national security concerns. For how long this will remain, I don't know.

Apart from security and Justice, others like roads, electricity and healthcare are no longer basic if you asked me. These are purely economic problems nowadays and any attempt to solve them using social means is going to fail IMO. In the sense that, we are now in global village and countries are becoming more dependent on other countries. Even security can no longer be said to basic nowadays. So government has to make policies that is at least 70% based on sound economic principles to ensure sustenability of these projects.

My friend, the idea of searching for salvation is quite funny to me though. If I were you, I would be looking for better alternatives not a saviour.

You asked why government couldn't build an operate. That's surely a good question. I will try as much as possible to answer that but I feel its a whole new idea that has to be discussed. brb
you said GOVERNMENT and that is what I responded to. If you are wanting to make a distinction and defend the Lagos state government fine. There is no perfect government and there is always room for improvement.

you are not me and so do not patronise me about what i should look for .

what is good for you is for you to determine. I will determine for myself. I cannot attest to the security improvement.
The security situation in Lagos has deteriorated especially with the advent of the twin technologies of Okada and mobile phones and the persistent growth in population. these are not issues that should be politicised.As such I do not blame the government wholly BUT the situation is VERY BAD lagos state is NOT just Ikeja and the Island. To talk about statistics for crime without providing them shows you are determined as to what these mystery statistics must say. are we talking about the same lagos "statistics for crime from 1999?? who keeps them.
It is important to study ACN well so we can see how they will be different from PDP if in power. The sad truth is they are the same.
 No doubt there have been a few achievements by ACN in lagos but there is more hype than substance.They seem to be believing their own hype. I have supported the ACN government for long enough to know that they are NOT democratic. I will not be like the obstinate fly that follows the corpse into the grave. They need to start listening to those they govern and stop acting like a military regime. Sadly the mask is slipping and we can see who is behind the masquerade.

Lagos state is a challenging place to govern but its people are NOT stupid. For well over 90 % of Lagosians the government has little impact
There is the issue of Local government too. The elections were rigged,candidates imposed and they have a history of non-performance
this thread is about roads and as far as that is concerned the government in Lagos has been very diasppointing. Ceratainly in Ikorodu and Epe for example there is NOTHING to write home about.  The reality is we have a population that expect nothing and so it is not hard to please them.
they should stop those propaganda programmes on TV and starrt listening to people
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by jmaine: 1:09pm On Dec 13, 2011
Damn . .Some really weird [/b]argument in a desperate attempt to endorse this sham move by the Lagos State Government  . . .

Rad1cal:

[b][size=19pt]That is a lie . .the security situation has been low in recent months . Who are you trying to deceive here  . Which Lagos are you referencing[/size]

Hope you memorize this quote for future referencing . .cos it might come in useful

Affirmed . . .definitely not the Lagos i reside . . . .
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Akanbiedu(m): 1:36pm On Dec 13, 2011
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/sustaining-the-momentum-on-lagos-security/73017/

Confronted with diverse cases of security threats in Lagos State, the government established the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF) in 2007. Consequently, police statistics show 79 percent reduction in crime rate, which makes Lagos one of the safest cities in Africa. But a sustained commitment to ensuring effective policing through the public-private partnership model, is required to keep the momentum. Gboyega Akinsanmi writes

Before the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF) was established in 2007, the state crime rate was alarming. Bank robberies became rife in different parts of the state; the use of public buses to rob was on the increase; and public order was extremely vulnerable that a good number of Lagos residents relocated. Likewise, car snatching, ritual killing and burglary had become almost normal activities in Lagos metropolis.

But this trend has now changed tremendously. This is evident in the 2010 report of the Lagos State Police Command.  At the fourth town-hall meeting of the Fund held at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Marvel Akpoyibo presented a graphic report of the state crime rate, which he said, had drastically nose-dived by 79 percent between October 2009 and September 2010.

Within this timeframe, about 64 armed robbery incidents were foiled by the security operatives of Lagos State Rapid Response Squad (RRS); security and emergency operatives responded to 25 fire outbreaks and 27 accident victims in the state. He attributed the record success to the approach of the state government to set up the Fund as a means of bolstering security through capacity-building and logistics support.

Like the 2010 report, the previous statistics show rapid decline of crime rate. The decline was 62.2 percent between January 2007 and July 2009. But the state police command sought a sustained state intervention to address criminalities in the state. In 2009, private and public stakeholders thus pledged more support. Through the partnership, the state had invested a sum of N4.6 billion in the Fund, thus bringing down crime rates.

[size=15pt]In 2006, for instance, about 494 murder cases were recorded in the state within the timeframe. In 2007 alone, there were 221 murder cases recorded before the Fund began operations. The number declined to 193 cases in 2008 and dropped to 80 at the end of July 2009.[/size] This decline only represents about 63.8 percent, which suggests an appreciable impact of the state intervention in security governance and management.

[size=18pt]In the case of policemen killed in encounters with armed robbers, the statistics show that about 98 police offers of different high and low ranks were killed at the same timeframe. The number of police officers killed was as high as 59 in 2007, it sharply dropped to 33 in 2008, representing  about 44.7 percent. The number dropped to just 6 in July 2009, which indicates that the killing of police officers has reduced by 89.3 percent.[/size]

[size=15pt]The incidents of armed robbery recorded within the same timeframe also dropped as the report indicated. From 264 armed robbery incidents in 2007, it came down to 78 armed attacks, representing about 88.63 percent decline. By July 2009, it declined to just 30, which security analysts said it was at its lowest in the last decade, although they called for sustained effort to stem the incidents of criminalities on all fronts of the state.[/size]

[size=15pt]About 4,238 ammunition were recovered in 2007. The number of ammunition recovered surged to 13,149 in 2008, although it dropped to 1,093 ammunition by July 2009, indicating about 210 percent improvement. In the case of arms, 302 arms were recovered in 2007, climbed up to 358 and declined to 326, thus suggesting an increase of 7.94 percent in the number of arms recovered. The logic is simply that intensified anti-robbery missions produced positive results with the increased number of arms and ammunition recovered.
[/size]

[size=15pt]In another crime incident, the anti-robbery missions had brought low the number of armed robbers arrested from 602 in 2007 to just 451 in 2008. The number further came down to 177 by July 2009, though the police command warned that sustained anti-robbery missions are required to keep crime incidents as low as zero in the state. The number of stolen vehicles recovered also declined from 1695 in 2007 to 939 in 2008, representing 44.6 percent. It dropped further to 439 in July 2009. This shows an improvement of 74.1 percent if when compared with the cases of stolen vehicles recovered in the 2007 fiscal year.[/size]

The police statistics thus show that significant improvement was recorded in fighting crimes in the state. The state police command acknowledged the role of state in crime-fighting, suggesting that the task of state security can no longer be left in the hands of the federal government alone. As the police commissioner stated, the government of Lagos State had provided leadership in promoting community policing, which he explained was the practice in all modern civilizations, democracies and economies in the world of the twenty-first century.

From 2007, there has been a steady downward movement in the criminal activities in the state. For this reason, Akpoyibo commended the public-private partnership approach to the state security under the administration of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola while declaring zero tolerance for crime in the state. He simply said the mission of the administration is already being realised as crime indices have now assumed a downward trend.

At the town-hall meeting, Fashola addressed a gathering of concerned Lagos residents, who he said their contribution to the Fund, had helped the security operatives to nip in the bud a number of religious and ethnic incidents before they could escalate because the state had asset and equipment they could effectively deploy. He thus called for a renewed and sustained commitment to the Fund if crime rate must remain low in the state.

He lamented the impact of economic recession on the contribution of major donors to the Fund when it was set up, a situation both Chairman of the Fund Board of Trustees, Mr. Remi Makanjuola and its Executive Secretary, Mr. Fola Arthur-Worrey, said brought the contribution of private sector down to as low as 30 percent while the state government had been supporting the Fund to the tune of 70 percent in the 2010 fiscal year.

The governor therefore called on both individual and corporate donors to give more support to help sustain the Fund, pointing out that a centralized police force, whose ability “to perform its duties is predicated on the level of support it receives in material and logistics provided by its principal, the federal government”.

Fashola’s call has, however, started yielding positive result from both corporate bodies and individuals just as Zenith Bank Plc and Skye Bank Plc pledged a sum of N50 million each. A good number of private firms, public institutions and individuals also pledged varying amounts of money to support the Fund. But given the enormity of policing Lagos metropolis, Fashola advocated sustained individual, private and public effort to give the state police command support through capacity building and other necessary assistance.

He held a view that over 25 years of underfunding of police by the federal government “had led to the inability of the force to respond as effectively as it would desire to violent crimes, which recorded an upward trend between 2000 and 2007. The federal government could not even make up the difference required to ensure the immediate effectiveness of the police through yearly budget provisions that informed our collective resolve to set up the Fund”.

Fashola therefore explained that the Fund “has been able to raise over N6.2 billion in material and funding in the aid of the police and other security agencies in the state since it was set up. The effect of this flow of resources has been continually security as official police statistics and independent reports have shown. One of the advantages of our direct investment in the provision of assets for the police is our collective ownership of the assets, which translates to better accountability and coordination,” Fashola noted.

He therefore said addressing the challenges “will require continued commitment and deeply rooted partnership on the part of government, the private sector and individuals. We urge financial institutions, telecommunication companies, manufacturing firms, oil & gas giants, educational institutions, religious bodies and other well-meaning organisations and individuals to donate more generously to sustain the Security Fund,” he said.

I see you have other issues with ACN, not a problem. We are human beings and at such not expected to hold the same opinion on issues. That's why we have a democracy. I generally do not have enough time for internet back and forth so the only reason I am responding to you is I respect your opinions on the forum, so far.

Now, check the article and pay close attention to the statistics I highlighted. You will agree with me that security situation of Lagos has improved tremendiously. This is a state that has witnessed population increase in those years. The population is increasing and yet the crime rate is decreasing, that shows that somebody, somewhere is working. Problem is security, unlike infrastructure like roads and electricity, is hardly noticed or acknowledged. If you save 1million lives in a year, the death of 1000 will most likely be remembered more. Nobody is even going to notice how much you have saved.

You will also notice that the security fund set up by Lagos government paid a huge part in the achievement of Lagos government in this case. This is another testimony to the fact that, nowadays problems are largely economic in nature and any attempt to solve them using other means is futile and will not work, in the long run.

Now, (1) you can attest to the security improvement in Lagos abi? And (2) that funds donated by corporate organisations helped in achieving this feat.

aribisala0:

.you said GOVERNMENT and that is what I responded to. If you are wanting to make a distinction and defend the Lagos state government fine. There is no perfect government and there is always room for improvement.

what is good for you is for you to determine. I will determine for myself. I cannot attest to the security improvement.
The security situation in Lagos has deteriorated especially with the advent of the twin technologies of Okada and mobile phones and the persistent growth in population. these are not issues that should be politicised.As such I do not blame the government wholly BUT the situation is VERY BAD lagos state is NOT just Ikeja and the Island. To talk about statistics for crime without providing them shows you are determined as to what these mystery statistics must say. are we talking about the same lagos "statistics for crime from 1999?? who keeps them.
It is important to study ACN well so we can see how they will be different from PDP if in power. The sad truth is they are the same.
 No doubt there have been a few achievements by ACN in lagos but there is more hype than substance.They seem to be believing their own hype. I have supported the ACN government for long enough to know that they are NOT democratic. I will not be like the obstinate fly that follows the corpse into the grave. They need to start listening to those they govern and stop acting like a military regime. Sadly the mask is slipping and we can see who is behind the masquerade.

Lagos state is a challenging place to govern but its people are NOT silly. For well over 90 % of Lagosians the government has little impact
There is the issue of Local government too. The elections were rigged,candidates imposed and they have a history of non-performance
this thread is about roads and as far as that is concerned the government in Lagos has been very diasppointing. Ceratainly in Ikorodu and Epe for example there is NOTHING to write home about.  The reality is we have a population that expect nothing and so it is not hard to please them.
they should stop those propaganda programmes on TV and starrt listening to people
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 2:13pm On Dec 13, 2011
phuck_NL:

@ Cougar and EKO ILE.

Thunder fire you and your bosses.

The toll is unacceptable. Period.
If they want to alleviate traffic, Build A FRIGGIN new road and TOLL THAT ONE.
If people realise that the new TOLLED road is faster and better for them, they will use it and pay tolls.
You cant force someone to pay tolls. You have to create an alternative. The current alternative that LCC is claiming is a JOKE.
If you want to see what tolling looks like check out the SAM HOUSTON TOLLWAY IN HOUSTON on Youtube. Nobody if forced to use that MAGNIFICENT PIECE OF ARCHITECTURE but people ply it daily. There are alternatives. Thats what you call tolling.
Because say COOGAR don manage collect visa enter Lagos Extension (london) , we no go hear word again. If you want to compare anything come to the UNITED STATES OF MURRRDAFUKN AMERICA and see how they toll. They don't force people to pay tolls except on roads in areas like the penny/New jersey turnpike where the road cuts from state to another.
THE LCC TOLL IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH AND SHOULD BE RESISteD.

iMAGINE IF THEY had built flyovers, completed the entire stretch of the road, maybe, just maybe people woulda bn more sympathetic. They simply DECORATED THE ROAD AND WANT TO COLLECT TOLL FOR THAT.

you are a big tool - the biggest tool this forum is yet to produce.
one cannot force people to pay tolls? who is forcing you to? stay in your shed but if you use that same road, you must pay for using it.
that is the point. all your balderdash about houston/new jersey makes no sense. this is lagos state! the commercial nerve centre of africa!

if you want to stay in lagos, there's a premium to pay!!
if lagos is too high-priced, go back to your father's village and take up subsistence farming.
staying in lagos should not be by force - i am sure every american also wants to stay in florida, hollywood, malibu, etc but their finances won't let them.

MyloXyloto:

God is set to punish these silly Tinubu and Fashola a*ss lickers like Eko Ile, AkanbiEdu and Coogar.
You want already poor Nigerians to be more impoverished just because Tinubu wants to be richer at all costs.

use your common sense for once. if paying tolls on that road is going to make you more impoverished then pack out of there.
there are other places in lagos you can stay and avoid these extra-costs. alagbado, ojodu, ajegunle and oshodi are nice places you can stay.
i dunno why you herbs want to stay in the nicest parts of lagos and you don't want to pay for the premium that comes with that.

Yet una go open that una useless mouth dey curse PDP whereas una no better pass dem. God go punish una well well and e go cause dat una useless hand to catch leprosy since una sabi type nonsense. Especially that Eko-Ile. As u talk say Lagosians must suffer because of the greed of your master, na so you and your useless toto go dey drip water and suffer.

continue with your epileptic rants. i hope you man up on sunday and join the protesters to burn the toll plazas.
if you are man enough - join the protest instead of barking on the internet.

Akanbi_edu:

Coogar, see what I am saying.
This one thinks paying $1500 a year for university education is demonic

he should come n see what his counterparts are paying in developed countries.
like i said, nigerians are spoilt. everyone wants to be a graduate and they think having a degree should be child's play!
these morons wouldn't mind paying $10,000 for a certification course that takes them nowhere but they would frown at their own state government for levying them with chicken change.

And this one wants to know what the government is providing for the people.
Yet, every four years, these are the people the government will return to for votes.

let them keep asking. i am done with the people on this thread.
many of them are either stark illiterates/semi-illiterates or herbivores with the lowest intelligence quotients in the world.

what baffles me is that these morons pay premium with smiles when they are asked to pay abroad. but the moment their own people ask them to pay, they frown their faces, they curse out loudly and they protest. when british airways tax an average nigerian £600 to fly, nigerians pay with prostrating for the white man. when lcc tax them £1 to pay on a paved lane, they come out snapping and cussing they cannot pay.

they have no difficulty paying to develop a white man's country but they are ready to die to stop their own country from developing.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Akanbiedu(m): 3:03pm On Dec 13, 2011
I wrote a reply, spam-bot caught it. well let me try again

Ref   http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/sustaining-the-momentum-on-lagos-security/73017/

Confronted with diverse cases of security threats in Lagos State, the government established the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF) in 2007. Consequently, police statistics show 79 percent reduction in crime rate, which makes Lagos one of the safest cities in Africa. But a sustained commitment to ensuring effective policing through the public-private partnership model, is required to keep the momentum. Gboyega Akinsanmi writes

Quotes from the article:

In 2006, for instance, about 494 murder cases were recorded in the state within the timeframe. In 2007 alone, there were 221 murder cases recorded before the Fund began operations. The number declined to 193 cases in 2008 and dropped to 80 at the end of July 2009. This decline only represents about 63.8 percent, which suggests an appreciable impact of the state intervention in security governance and management.

In the case of policemen killed in encounters with armed robbers, the statistics show that about 98 police offers of different high and low ranks were killed at the same timeframe. The number of police officers killed was as high as 59 in 2007, it sharply dropped to 33 in 2008, representing  about 44.7 percent. The number dropped to just 6 in July 2009, which indicates that the killing of police officers has reduced by 89.3 percent.

The incidents of armed robbery recorded within the same timeframe also dropped as the report indicated. From 264 armed robbery incidents in 2007, it came down to 78 armed attacks, representing about 88.63 percent decline. By July 2009, it declined to just 30, which security analysts said it was at its lowest in the last decade, although they called for sustained effort to stem the incidents of criminalities on all fronts of the state.

About 4,238 ammunition were recovered in 2007. The number of ammunition recovered surged to 13,149 in 2008, although it dropped to 1,093 ammunition by July 2009, indicating about 210 percent improvement. In the case of arms, 302 arms were recovered in 2007, climbed up to 358 and declined to 326, thus suggesting an increase of 7.94 percent in the number of arms recovered. The logic is simply that intensified anti-robbery missions produced positive results with the increased number of arms and ammunition recovered.

In another crime incident, the anti-robbery missions had brought low the number of armed robbers arrested from 602 in 2007 to just 451 in 2008. The number further came down to 177 by July 2009, though the police command warned that sustained anti-robbery missions are required to keep crime incidents as low as zero in the state. The number of stolen vehicles recovered also declined from 1695 in 2007 to 939 in 2008, representing 44.6 percent. It dropped further to 439 in July 2009. This shows an improvement of 74.1 percent if when compared with the cases of stolen vehicles recovered in the 2007 fiscal year.

It appears you have other issues with ACN, not a problem. We are human beings, at such not expected to hold the same opinion on every issue. Thats why we even have democracy. I don't have much time to do back and forth on the internet, so the only reason I am responding to your post is I respect your opinion on the forum, so far.

Check the full article and pay aprticular attention to the paragraphs  I lifted. You will agree with me that the security situation in Lagos has really improved. This is inspite of increase in population of the state. This should tell you that somebody, somewhere is working seriuosly to keep Lagosians safe. Just that security, unlike infrastructures like road and hospitals, is hardly noticed. People go about their duties without noticing improvement until something bad happens.

I am sure you can see now that (1) security in Lagos has improved and (2) This is largely due to state security funds set up by the governor.

This brings us back to our argument. Services have to be paid for if we really want to enjoy them and ensure sustenability of same.

aribisala0:

.you said GOVERNMENT and that is what I responded to. If you are wanting to make a distinction and defend the Lagos state government fine. There is no perfect government and there is always room for improvement.

Lagos state is a challenging place to govern but its people are NOT silly. For well over 90 % of Lagosians the government has little impact
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2011
security when it exists may not be noticed this is true. Insecurity is a different thing entirely. People know when they are under threat.
  but this is a question of factual accuracy  and so not  one we shall agree on.
my experience has been that there is general insecurity in Nigeria and not Lagos alone. 
The evidence for this is the rise in the reported gun crimes everywhere. as such I do not localize this to lagos but I do not see any grounds for Fashola to claim success in this regard.
I note that you quote some figures where do they come from why not share them with us.
and let us analyse them. at best it is disingenuous to quote unattributed figures without context.

leaving security to one side
my point is a very simple one Fashola's government has made some progress compared to what came before but he could do a lot better .

first in furthering what was Tinubu's initiative they have changed the revenue generating profile of the state and that is to be commended. But there is evidence they are losing focus. There are very strong signs of corruption,autocracy and a derailment of democracy.rather than try to defend the indefensible they should engage with the electorate and demonstrate that they respect them and view them as their masters NOT the other way round.
Services must be paid for. true
BUT this is a relatively VERY SMALL PROJECT
and WHO IS GETTING PAID ? from all indications NOT the government.
why is it that in the whole of lagos state this was the ONLY project chosen for this NOT even the Badagry expressway a very laudable project has TOLLING
why was the community not engaged with on this initiative
why is the government not buildin this road
who are this company
HOW MUCH MONEY WILL THIS COMPANY MAKE
when dealing with the public you
MUST BE TRANSPARENT
why three toll gates
we are not talking about a Julius Berger quality job from all indications
in fact those (THE COMPANY) collecting the toll have no track record and were set up solely for this project
I do not live in LEKKI but those affected have articulated a very good case and
the government are

stranded for words
i am very embarassed for the government because I have always supported them on this forum
THIS STINKS
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by phuckNL: 4:01pm On Dec 13, 2011
coogar:

you are a big tool - the biggest tool this forum is yet to produce.
one cannot force people to pay tolls? who is forcing you to? stay in your shed but if you use that same road, you must pay for using it.
that is the point. all your balderdash about houston/new jersey makes no sense. this is lagos state! the commercial nerve centre of africa!

if you want to stay in lagos, there's a premium to pay!!
if lagos is too high-priced, go back to your father's village and take up subsistence farming.
staying in lagos should not be by force - i am sure every american also wants to stay in florida, hollywood, malibu, etc but their finances won't let them.

use your common sense for once. if paying tolls on that road is going to make you more impoverished then pack out of there.
there are other places in lagos you can stay and avoid these extra-costs. alagbado, ojodu, ajegunle and oshodi are nice places you can stay.
i dunno why you herbs want to stay in the nicest parts of lagos and you don't want to pay for the premium that comes with that.

continue with your epileptic rants. i hope you man up on sunday and join the protesters to burn the toll plazas.
if you are man enough - join the protest instead of barking on the internet.

he should come n see what his counterparts are paying in developed countries.
like i said, nigerians are spoilt. everyone wants to be a graduate and they think having a degree should be child's play!
these morons wouldn't mind paying $10,000 for a certification course that takes them nowhere but they would frown at their own state government for levying them with chicken change.

let them keep asking. i am done with the people on this thread.
many of them are either stark illiterates/semi-illiterates or herbivores with the lowest intelligence quotients in the world.

what baffles me is that these morons pay premium with smiles when they are asked to pay abroad. but the moment their own people ask them to pay, they frown their faces, they curse out loudly and they protest. when british airways tax an average nigerian £600 to fly, nigerians pay with prostrating for the white man. when lcc tax them £1 to pay on a paved lane, they come out snapping and cussing they cannot pay.

they have no difficulty paying to develop a white man's country but they are ready to die to stop their own country from developing.

This is what happens when people get visas to Lagos Extension and think they have gone to the west to study. Ol boy you just wasted your money going to JAND. You for just stay for Nigeria. What a waste of education. So you are telling me people can be forced to pay toll in residential areas, chineke your parents have wasted their money.
So if indigenes of lekki can not afford to pay the toll they should leave lekki abi? Mind you, 99% of the people that can actually afford it are not lagos residents. Seriously your parents have wasted money.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 4:07pm On Dec 13, 2011
phuck_NL:

This is what happens when people get visas to Lagos Extension and think they have gone to the west to study. Ol boy you just wasted your money going to JAND. You for just stay for Nigeria. What a waste of education.

the term "lagos extension" must be new in your dictionary. . . .what an asswipe!
your own parents have wasted efforts, s[i]e[/i]men, ovum and years of investment on a pathetic simpleton like yourself.
this is what happens when a disoriented male is half-baked. . . . . .animal!

So you are telling me people can be forced to pay toll in residential areas, chineke your parents have wasted their money.

don't pay it. jeeeez. what's your relevance in the grand scheme of things?
who are you? the people bigger, more educated and smarter than you would all pay when the time comes.
i don't see how your barking and howling on a forum would stop them.

So if indigenes of lekki can not afford to pay the toll they should leave lekki abi? Mind you, 99% of the people that can actually afford it are not lagos residents. Seriously your parents have wasted money.

if they are not lagos residents, then you mean they travel from outside lagos state everyday to use those roads?
you are a waste of education. the money spent on your education should have been used to buy prophylactics to prevent your conception in the first place. they could have also used it for cocoa production - a more lucrative venture than raising an epileptic beast of burden like yourself. grin
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by phuckNL: 4:09pm On Dec 13, 2011
aribisala0:

security when it exists may not be noticed this is true. Insecurity is a different thing entirely. People know when they are under threat.
 but this is a question of factual accuracy  and so not  one we shall agree on.
my experience has been that there is general insecurity in Nigeria and not Lagos alone.  
The evidence for this is the rise in the reported gun crimes everywhere. as such I do not localize this to lagos but I do not see any grounds for Fashola to claim success in this regard.
I note that you quote some figures where do they come from why not share them with us.
and let us analyse them. at best it is disingenuous to quote unattributed figures without context.

my point is a very simple one Fashola's government has made some progress compared to what came before but he could do a lot better .

first in furthering what was Tinubu's initiative they have changed the revenue generating profile of the state and that is to be commended. But there is evidence they are losing focus. There are very strong signs of corruption,autocracy and a derailment of democracy.rather than try to defend the indefensible they should engage with the electorate and demonstrate that they respect them and view them as their masters NOT the other way round.
Services must be paid for.
why is it that in the whole of lagos state this was the ONLY project chosen for this NOT even the Badagry expressway a very laudable project has TOLLING
who are this company
MUST BE TRANSPARENT
why three toll gates
in fact those (THE COMPANY) collecting the toll have no track record and were set up solely for this project
the government are

stranded for words
i am very embarassed for the government because I have always supported them on this forum
THIS STINKS

Don't mind them. We all know the main reason for the project. It is simply a private investment to enrich their pockets. They are in no way trying to help anybody in LEKKI. That is why they have deviced it in such a way that people will be forced to pay toll. If the purpose of the project was to help the lekki people, they would have built an entirely new road.
They have tolled that road because they know the amount of traffic plying it and want to make a killing in the process. Imagine what would happen when the LFTZ finally opens. People would nearly sleep on those roads daily because the traffic situation would be ridiculous. I would have expected Fashola to sit down with LCC and revise the terms of the contract. Do things like building a freeeeaking FLYOVER and see if peopel wont be willing to pay tolls. How can you ask people to pay tolls on a road that nothing has been done to?
That road was more than in an excellent condition before LCC came. They are not doing lekki residents any favour. The only favor they could have done is to alleviate traffic. What they have done will not alleviate traffic so please tell me why should we pay toll on the same road with the same problems we've been having. If you pay for services, you should be able to see what you are paying for.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by phuckNL: 4:13pm On Dec 13, 2011
Everyone should just ignore coogar. He is one of those idiots who believe because they've schooled abroad, that they now know it all.
Simply because they do this and that in Jand, then it has to apply to lagos abi.
How about you pull up a road in your so called Jand where a residential road that was untolled was suddenly converted to a tolled road without adequate alternatives.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 4:20pm On Dec 13, 2011
there are no such deals in the UK
the government builds roads here and
this i believe is the main bone of contention .
how much money was spent on the road and how much money will this company make in return.
It would appear that the greatest spend was on THE TOLL GATES
THAT INFORMATION SHOULD BE PUBLIC.

IT SEEMS THERE IS SOMETHING HIDDEN
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 4:28pm On Dec 13, 2011
aribisala0:

but this is a question of factual accuracy  and so not  one we shall agree on.

don't join the bandwagon of tools on this thread. you are actually more intelligent than the post above.
no state or country is 100% crime free. no government can guarantee you that. the best is to reduce it to the barest minimum and from my experience the last time i went to lagos - the security in lagos improved immensely. i cannot remember the last time there was a siege by armed robbers in any area in lagos. in fact, the general idea is most of them have relocated to the neighbouring states because of the superior firepower of the law enforcers in lagos.

oh. . . .so you admit fashola's government has made some progress?
wow - look around nigeria. which other state governor in the other 35 states can you compare to fashola?

you cannot please everyone. what you have just said is impracticable. look around the world - even the developed countries. do you agree with everything david cameron is doing? even under labour, did you agree with every of their policies? things don't just work that way.  if you respect the electorate too much, they would just sit at home and expect to be paid for doing nothing.

nigerians and especially lagosians would take advantage of that. if you agree fashola's government has made progress, you should trust him enough to make further progress and his decision to put toll plazas on those roads should be respected.

Services must be paid for. true
and WHO IS GETTING PAID ? from all indications NOT the government.

a project is a project - small or big. the size is immaterial.
i am assuming you stay in birmingham. you are conversant with the way things work in the united kingdom. can you name any basic amenity you do not pay a premium for? look at your utilities to start with - why are your wages taxed and you still pay for council tax? then road tax and then tv license. if the people here have been complaining like nigerians do - would this country work? the people of the state have the state's destiny in their hands. if they all contribute their quota to make it work. . . .the state would work. if they do otherwise. . . then we know what the outcome would be.

who are this company
MUST BE TRANSPARENT
why three toll gates
the government are stranded for words
THIS STINKS

how much money will the company make? has it really come to that?
who asked lcc how much money they spent providing that extra lane and the 2 roads they paved? grin grin grin

but now, you want to ask them how much they are going to be making??
i love nigerians. . . . . .

phuck_NL:

Everyone should just ignore coogar. He is one of those idiots who believe because they've schooled abroad, that they now know it all.
Simply because they do this and that in Jand, then it has to apply to lagos abi.
How about you pull up a road in your so called Jand where a residential road that was untolled was suddenly converted to a tolled road without adequate alternatives.

for your information, i didn't school abroad, you unrepentant sod!
i schooled in that same country so i know my stuff. . . . . you can keep on assuming like a blind bat but you have no strong points to engage me in this debate. your state government has asked you to pay and whether you like it or not. . . .you would pay(if you use their roads).

better get a canoe to transit you from your abode to the other parts of lagos. grin cheesy
you tools make noise in nigeria but when you go to ordinary ghana, you lick their arses and do everything you are asked to do.
the next time you buy an air ticket to abuja - ask them how much they bought the plane for them to be charging you 15k to abuja from lagos.

stinking swine!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by blacksta(m): 4:31pm On Dec 13, 2011
I am guessing the utlitmate question remains. Is it legal to force drivers to ply a tolled road. If it is legal I might As well open a LCC hosiptal.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by blacksta(m): 4:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
@coogar

The dartford tunnel you referenced has many alternative non tolled routes. E.g woolwich tunnel.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Genius100: 4:36pm On Dec 13, 2011
Laff wan kill me die for this thread. All I can say is that there is a premium for living in premium locations around the world. To go from New Jersey to New York, you have to pay $13 in toll. How many of you complaining about Lagos will relocate to another state? If Lekki residents can't be charged toll, which area in lagos can be charged? Also remember that the toll collected will be used to continuously maintan the road. So it's not just a matter of building the road.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by nku5: 4:42pm On Dec 13, 2011
@genius - do you know that there are many indigenes who still live there and have cause to move about? Are you saying they should be shipped out of their home. Make una fear God o!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 4:43pm On Dec 13, 2011
Genius100:

Laff wan kill me die for this thread. All I can say is that there is a premium for living in premium locations around the world. To go from New Jersey to New York, you have to pay $13 in toll. How many of you complaining about Lagos will relocate to another state? If Lekki residents can't be charged toll, which area in lagos can be charged? Also remember that the toll collected will be used to continuously maintan the road. So it's not just a matter of building the road.

If you are going to take on the genius moniker, @Genius300, at least make a better effort at pretending it suits you . . .

a) NEW YORK is NOT the same State as NEW JERSEY

b) Even at that, there are alternative routes into NEW YORK from NEW JERSEY that do not require paying $13 toll

c) NewYorkans do not pay tolls to have to ply their own streets without Alternatives. . . .

d) Even in New Jersey, there are alternative routes to the Tunnel
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Honeycity(f): 4:47pm On Dec 13, 2011
3 toll gates withing a very short distance/ same LGA ?
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 4:53pm On Dec 13, 2011
@coogar you will notice I did not make any remarks about you?
try and deal with the issues without  referencing me. You are not really in a position to comment on my intelligence or lack of it.
like i said we don't agree on the facts.
i know Lagos VERY well particularly ALL those parts that are considered Ijebu land. There have been armed robberies in Ikorodu pretty much every day and a younger  area  "brother" was gunned down last week.
Our experience of security is different.

Yes as far as concessioning goes THE PUBLIC have a right to ask how much the company is making i.e cost basis vis a vis justification for the levy since it involves mandatory fees on public infrastructure.
as voters/tax payers people have a right to ask
What is the COST of the works that are being claimed and does this justify the arrangements entered into.
Personally i do NOT know and take no position BUT the government needs to open up

In fact if the freedom of information act was functioning like it should we would know everything about this deal.
there are people who are AUTOCHTHONS in that area and I do not see why they should pay a premium for living in there homesteads.
If the Idea is a premium area charge, this should entail premium services which the government does NOT provide in Lekki. The government should come out and say they have such a policy and we can debate its lawfulness and evenness of application.
so far what i see are ad-hoc explanations for what is a scheme that has been poorly conceived and communicated.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Genius100: 4:54pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If you are going to take on the genius moniker, @Genius300, at least make a better effort at pretending it suits you . . .

a) NEW YORK is NOT the same State as NEW JERSEY

b) Even at that, there are alternative routes into NEW YORK from NEW JERSEY that do not require paying $13 toll

c) NewYorkans do not pay tolls to have to ply their own streets without Alternatives. . . .

d) Even in New Jersey, there are alternative routes to the Tunnel

Spoken like a true Crack junkie! Of what consequence is it that New york is not in the same state of New Jersey? Hundreds of thousands of people live in New Jersey and work in New york, so what is your point? The point here is that you want to commute to a premium place like New york, you pay for it.

Second, Is toll currently being charged ? The road has been completed for several months and nobody has paid toll yet. That should tell an intellectual dwarf like you that Fashola is looking for alternatives. When they start charing toll without providing an alternative oad, then you can open your stinking trap. Just don't come here to talk about the inconvenience of using the alternative road.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aiku(m): 5:05pm On Dec 13, 2011
I have read most of the comments: those for tolling and thise against tolling. To be honest there is sense in what everyone is saying. I do agree that if you want o enjouy services you must pay for them. I also think tolling a road to a residential area without providing an alternate road is unfair.

I think Fashola has done better than most other governors, but on this issue I do not quite agree with him. Having said that, people can differ in opinions about issues and not resort to name calling. I have said this somehwere else before, NLanders and other Nigerians with access to online fora of self expression represent a unique part of the population whose views about Nigeria can be seen by many around the world. Lets try some civility in the way we debate issues. There are trolls and crazies everywhere, but you don't have to feed the trolls.

Before you make conclusions, think about these questions:

How many country is the world can this happen (one an only existing road, albeit expanded, would be tolled)?
Are Nigeria getting what ethey already paying for before you ask them to pay more?
What is the average income of people living in the area?
What is wrong for people to hold their government accountabe, especially if they think they are being shortchanged?
How much is spent on fixing the road, and how much does the contracting firm stand to gain in the 30yrs of concession?
Could the people have gotten a better deal?
As someone has already asked, what kind of consultation occured wit the people who will bear the brunt of the policy?

Lets be fair even though this issue many not be a problem to us by virtue of being able to afford the fees or because we dont live in the area. When people go against these kinds of policies it is not only because it is affecting them, but because they fear it can become a normal way of doing things. The most absurd conclusion i have read here is one person suggesting that those who cannot pay should relocate. Where in the world would residents allow that? in the UK? Nigerians are already suffering from govt mismanagement and corruption, and no one should call them stupid for asking questions about government decisions they know would affect them and their children for thirty yrs or more.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by samstradam: 5:05pm On Dec 13, 2011
Wow- a schoolteacher of mine use to say you could always tell truly educated people in a public discourse by paying attention to there silence, his point being that true education would allow one to know when NOT to contribute, its only fools who think they should speak on every topic under the sun.

A lot of NLanders (some of whom i use to respect) have shown their backsides- and all because they wanted to let everyone know that they are 'educated', live abroad and thus are now experts on what we need to do to be like their white hosts. But heres where i thank my nigerian teacher, cause though i've spent a lot of my life in the two continents harbouring these 'educated' people, i'm still able to recognise that the minimum requisite for a meaningful contribution to this topic would be current and detailed knowledge of the area being discussed, and if one insists on using international knowledge or comparisons, then at least compare like with like e.g developing countries or even the BRIC ones. So again for my brothers in the whitemans land, pls stop showing your backsides, your knowledge of your current abode is not helpful on this particular topic- unless of course you have timemachines and can tell us how things were done there in the industrial revolution?
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Dec 13, 2011
Genius100:

Spoken like a true crack junkie! Of what consequence is it that New york is not in the same state of New Jersey? Hundreds of thousands of people live in New Jersey and work in New york, so what is your point? The point here is that you want to commute to a premium place like New york, you pay for it.

I don't believe the reason for the Toll when travelling from New Jersey to New york has much to do with Premimum. Even when Traveling from a place like Illinois to Indiana, there are toll gates along the way(alternatives routes exists even in that case).

Let's pretend that your claim that New York is a premimum place, and so people ought to pay toll holds for a second. If you consider the facts, you would realize quickly that those who live in New York are not charged MANDATORY toll for plying the roads IN new york. Even those who live in New Jersey(another State) are also not charged MANDATORY toll for entering or using the roads in New York.

Now, if we then, using what we have learnt from the New York situation, analyze the Lekki situation, we would almost immediately find that this comparison of yours fails on so many grounds.

Lekki residents are essentially MANDATED to pay toll to use roads within their own STATE, and within their own town. The residents are to pay this toll regularly and no adequate alternatives made available to them. Those from other neighboring towns who want to enter Lekki are to be charged MANDATORY fees, something that is not even close to the New Jersey to New York example you tried to provide earlier. See, it fails!

Genius100:

Second, Is toll currently being charged ? The road has been completed for several months and nobody has paid toll yet. That should tell an intellectual dwarf like you that Fashola is looking for alternatives. When they start charing toll without providing an alternative oad, then you can open your stinking trap. Just don't come here to talk about the inconvenience of using the alternative road.

OH!!! you are the Wait-until-all-hell-breaks-loose-before-you-fight-for-your-right kind of person, huh? Well, I would say you are probably on the wrong thread since these people prefer to be PROACTIVE . . . , cheesy
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by samstradam: 5:08pm On Dec 13, 2011
Wow- a schoolteacher of mine use to say you could always tell truly educated people in a public discourse by paying attention to there silence, his point being that true education would allow one to know when NOT to contribute,  its only fools who think they should speak on every topic under the sun.

A lot of NLanders (some of whom i use to respect) have shown their backsides- and all because they wanted to let everyone know that they are 'educated', live abroad and thus are now experts on what we need to do to be like their white hosts. But heres where i thank my nigerian teacher, cause though i've spent a lot of my life in the two continents harbouring these 'educated' people, i'm still able to recognise that the minimum requisite for a meaningful contribution to this topic would be current and detailed knowledge of the area being discussed, and if one insists on using international knowledge or comparisons, then at least compare like with like e.g developing countries or even the BRIC ones. So again for my brothers in the whitemans land, pls stop showing your backsides, your knowledge of your current abode is not helpful on this particular topic- unless of course you have timemachines and can tell us how things were done there in the industrial revolution?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ballot Thieves Snatch Ballot Box In Delta / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / Sowore Celebrates His Mother, Esther, On Her Birthday (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 216
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.