Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters (20006 Views)

Fashola Mocked On Twitter For Blaming GEJ Over Lekki Robbery With #fasholajoker / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by karlmax2: 7:54pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:
I found this while searching for references to the existence, or non, of alternative routes and was not sure of the content since I was not able to find other refs to the same.  

Any who, my question is, are any of these routes available?

Before the press conference, journalists had been taken on an experiential site tour of the alternative routes and this provided them opportunity to see the quality of infrastructure and added services that have been put in place on the Eti Osa-Lekki-Epe corridor.

The site tour took the journalists through the first completed alternative route that runs from Oba Yesufu Abiodun Oniru Road that starts shortly after the Mobil petrol station to Market Road and back on the expressway to enable residents by-pass the first toll plaza at Admiralty Circle.

The second alternative route is the 34-kilometre road at Chevron Drive out of which 1.5 kilometres have been completed while work is in progress on the remaining 1.9 kilometres.
http://ekoonibajeng.com/index.php?topic=4972.0

Hahahahahahahahahah lwkmd I wish I could take picture and upload the so called alternative road from my phone
Pls there is no. Alternative road that exist like that at the chevron toll plaza, If Ʊ live around that area shuld prove me wrong
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emmatok(m): 7:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
The One:

I have been following this thread for the past 2 days and have been holding myself back from commenting. There's a lot of uninformed commentary here from a lot of people who obviously don't know much about the area in question. The first myth I want to correct is the talk that the people in the area covered by the road are rich. BIG FALLACY. Not up to 20% of the people are comfortable not to talk abt being rich. People see estates on the main road from phase 1 to jakande and conclude that represents the population of the place. I challenge anybody to go along any of the roads off the main road and see the abject squalor in those without ANY govt presence. Places like Ilasan, interior Agungi, igbo efon, alfa beach, lafiaji village, olugborangan, onigbongbo village, ikota village epecially the one behind the oando filling station, the slum at Ilaje and Alesh, Alaguntan village and if you branch into Ajah places like oke ira, owode, langbasa etc you will think you stepped into the 18th century. Now govt does nothing for these people and the only remnant bequeathed to them by Jakande is now being taken away by Fashola. You see why they'll fight with the last drop of their blood. Now if you say they don't contribute to the state coffers, what about the so-called rich ones that live in the estates. Again govt does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. All the estates come with their own amenities which the residents pay for because the govt will not do anything. The irony is that to do any project in that place costs an arm and a leg for consent and permits. I will not go into the argument about the morality or legality of the concession. Because of this issue, I went and checked my year-to-date playslip today and discovered to my chagrin that I've paid 8 million naira in PAYE taxes to the LASG this year alone! And someone will say Iam not entitled to a good road as the ONLY amenity govt provides for me?! Fashola cannot have it both ways, he either collects TAXES or TOLLS but not both of them.

Correct.

80% of Lekki-Aja - Epe residents live in those rural areas.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 7:57pm On Dec 13, 2011
The One:

I have been following this thread for the past 2 days and have been holding myself back from commenting. There's a lot of uninformed commentary here from a lot of people who obviously don't know much about the area in question. The first myth I want to correct is the talk that the people in the area covered by the road are rich. BIG FALLACY. Not up to 20% of the people are comfortable not to talk abt being rich. People see estates on the main road from phase 1 to jakande and conclude that represents the population of the place. I challenge anybody to go along any of the roads off the main road and see the abject squalor in those without ANY govt presence. Places like Ilasan, interior Agungi, igbo efon, alfa beach, lafiaji village, olugborangan, onigbongbo village, ikota village epecially the one behind the oando filling station, the slum at Ilaje and Alesh, Alaguntan village and if you branch into Ajah places like oke ira, owode, langbasa etc you will think you stepped into the 18th century. Now govt does nothing for these people and the only remnant bequeathed to them by Jakande is now being taken away by Fashola. You see why they'll fight with the last drop of their blood. Now if you say they don't contribute to the state coffers, what about the so-called rich ones that live in the estates. Again govt does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. All the estates come with their own amenities which the residents pay for because the govt will not do anything. The irony is that to do any project in that place costs an arm and a leg for consent and permits. I will not go into the argument about the morality or legality of the concession. Because of this issue, I went and checked my year-to-date playslip today and discovered to my chagrin that[b] I've paid 8 million naira [/b]in PAYE taxes to the LASG this year alone! And someone will say Iam not entitled to a good road as the ONLY amenity govt provides for me?! Fashola cannot have it both ways, he either collects TAXES or TOLLS but not both of them.

that's a tea spoon out of the ocean if you have copped 80 million naira this year as income.
in a nutshell, what you have paid as PAYE taxes makes no difference if you don't tell us your income.

Genius100:

This thread has conclusively proven you are a certified . I really pity the man who has the misfortune of marrying you.

don't mind them. . . . .3 pages ago, these runts are arguing there's no alternative route at all. now that they have been told there are actually routes, the story changed to those roads are too narrow/not motorable/there are gates/etc.

if they want to use the crisp roads, they should pay for it.
if they cannot afford to pay, then they should relocate out of the area or build a canoe!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emmatok(m): 7:59pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I found this while searching for references to the existence, or non, of alternative routes and was not sure of the content since I was not able to find other refs to the same.  

Any who, my question is, are any of these routes available?
http://ekoonibajeng.com/index.php?topic=4972.0

Still On Lekki-Epe Expressway PPP Contract,

Written by Seyi Osiyemi  
Monday, 29 March 2010 14:27

The concept of Public-Private Partnership is not “Nigerian”. It’s a concept that was developed in the western world. However, it’s become common practice for governments in Nigeria to borrow a foreign concept and turn it on its head.

Still On Lekki-Epe Expressway PPP Contract, by Seyi Osiyemi

Just over a year ago, I wrote a piece on the Lekki-Epe Expressway Public-Private Partnership contract between Lagos State Government and Lekki Concession Company. My criticism at the time was informed by the decision of LCC to install three toll booths on the 44km arterial road. I couldn’t understand the concessionaire (LCC) tolling strategy. Why for example would a local resident making a short trip between Sangotedo and Ajah be subjected to a toll. I asked the question if the toll is targeted towards local traffic or long distance travellers?

Fast forward to 2010, only 2km of the proposed 44km road widening project has been completed, even though we were told in 2006 that the project will be completed within three years. The concessionaire, LCC put the construction cost of the 2km upgrade at N5billion. However, some of the tolling booths have been constructed, and there are “unconfirmed” reports that LCC intends to start charging commuters for using a road that is technically, “still under construction”.

The concept of Public-Private Partnership is not “Nigerian”. It’s a concept that was developed in the western world. However, it’s become common practice for governments in Nigeria to borrow a foreign concept and turn it on its head.

As PPP has now become a “buzz word” in government quarters, it is important that the government realise that concessions can sometimes create a private monopoly or extreme dominance, with consequent market power, which is prone to be abused. This makes the design of the concession agreement important so that adequate protection is given to consumers.

The Lekki-Epe contract defies the basic principles and world’s best practice on Public-Private Partnerships. From my experience in the transport industry, I’m yet to come across a PPP contract that involves the tolling of a road without an alternative. As we know, there is no alternative “passable” road along the Lekki-Epe axis. Therefore, handing this road over to a private company to upgrade under a 30-yr concession is contrary to principles of social equity. The concessionaire, LCC, has basically become a private monopoly by default.

It’s been noted that there are plans by the LASG to build an alternative road along the Lekki shoreline. So why was LCC not encouraged to build the alternative road under a PPP agreement? And what’s the timeframe for the completion of this alternative road? Ideally, toll roads in major urban areas are aimed at making available a priced ‘premium’ service as an alternative to competing congested roads on the unpriced network, while covering full costs, including a target rate of return on capital.

The allegations by a local community group that, LCC is planning to commence road user charging soon on a road that is still under construction is also quite disheartening. It calls into question, the openness and transparency of the project procurement process,

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=67%3Aseyi-osiyemi&id=3235%3Astill-on-lekki-epe-expressway-ppp-contract&Itemid=57
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Dec 13, 2011
karl max:

Hahahahahahahahahah lwkmd I wish I could take picture and upload the so called alternative road from my phone
Pls there is no. Alternative road that exist like that at the chevron toll plaza,  If Ʊ live around that area shuld prove me wrong

So, do you have any idea why the reports claim then that there are Alternative Routes?  Has the State Government made it official that  pre-existing roads, like the Oniru road, be considered an official alternative route? Or is this all internet gabble??

emmatok:

It’s been noted that there are plans by the LASG to build an alternative road along the Lekki shoreline. So why was LCC not encouraged to build the alternative road under a PPP agreement? And what’s the timeframe for the completion of this alternative road? Ideally, toll roads in major urban areas are aimed at making available a priced ‘premium’ service as an alternative to competing congested roads on the unpriced network, while covering full costs, including a target rate of return on capital.

I was myself under the impression that alternative routes needed to be built (i.e they were not already in existence).
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by TheOne2(m): 8:15pm On Dec 13, 2011
@coogar, what has my earning got to do with this?
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by jmaine: 10:15pm On Dec 13, 2011
Aha !!!! The eye opening reveals to the ignorant continues . . . Emmatok, you don show . . .abeg stay aside . .fun seeing people comment rigorously over a topic they have no real life grasp of embarassed . . .
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emiye(m): 11:25pm On Dec 13, 2011
i have been trying to follow comments on these thread. i am more particular and sensitive about the effect this tolls might have on the "poor" within the corridor of the road.

I want to believe the poor majority do not own cars, trucks e.t.c, as such they will resort to taking mass transit e.g 14 seater, 20 seater, if possible BRT buses. having this in mind, the effect might just be a N10 hike in T-FARE or no hike in T-fare for BRT buses
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 12:54am On Dec 14, 2011
Fashola has been telling us at every opportunity that the "concession" is a Public Private Partnership. This is a lie.

Section 23, on page 268 of the Direct Agreement between "The Government of Lagos State of Nigeria, The State Roads, Bridges and Highway Infrastructure (Private Sector Participation) Development Board and Lekki Concession Company Limited" states clearly as follows:

23. NO PARTNERSHIP

Neither this Agreement nor any other agreement or arrangement of which it forms a part, nor the performance b the Parties of their respective obligations under any such agreement or arrangement, shall constitute a partnership between the Parties.

Tinubu dashed the road to himself, free. He used state resources to fund the take off of it, and now wants to raid the residents' pockets to fund the completion of his world class prison gates, while lying to us that it was a partnership. Clearly, it isn't and was never intended to be a partnership.

Sunday will be an interesting day.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 1:05am On Dec 14, 2011
On page 239 of the agreement, an interesting clause jumped out at me:

THE STATE HEREBY COVENANTS WITH THE LESSEE as follows (inter alia):

ii. To waive, for the entire term of this Lease, all statutory charges, rates, fees and assessments of whatever description that are payable to the State or any of its agencies in connection with this Lease or other related documents or in connection with the perfection thereof; and

iii. To indemnify the Lessee against all claims, demands, costs and expenses asserted against the Lessee by any third party during the term of this Lease.

Any lawyers out there to interpret this one? It seems to me that they're waiving all the fees that you or I would normally have paid for the execution of a C of O, which is what this "concession" effectively is, albeit for a shorter period. They couldn't even find the decency to pay the legal fees everybody else pays. Am I also right to assume that this clause also means that they'll never be assessed for or made to pay Land Use Charge for what is now their private property for the next 30 years, while the rest of us, who also have to pay them tolls must pay same Is this fair?

I assume this also gives effect to the clause that says all proceeds from advertising "in the concession area" must be reciepted to LCC. Would this be a correct assumption in the light of this clause?

Lawyers, help o!!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 1:29am On Dec 14, 2011
Under Schedule 4 of the Agreement, on page 231, it becomes clear that this agreement required a high level web of conspiracy involving the Highest levels of government in Nigeria. Obasanjo apparently REFUSED to be a part of it, and did not cooperate, but Yar'Adua, or somebody forging his signature (Bola Tinubu used to be a master forger at Cocoa House, Ibadan) granted an unbelievable amount of waivers to LCC:

[b]1. The grant of a Pioneer Certificate by the President pursuant to sections 1 and 2 of the Industrial Development (Income Tax Relief) Act, Chapter 117, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004

2. The waiver of custom duties by the President, during the period of construction and only for the specified equipment to be imported for the Project, pursuant to section 13 of the Customs, Excise, Tariffs etc. (Consolidation) Act, Chapter C49, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004

3. The exemption for value added tax purposes by statutory instrument pursuant to the Value Added Tax Act Chapter VI, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.

4. The approval for Education Taxes paid to be treated as allowable deduction for tax computation purposes.

5. Approvals from the Federal Ministry of Environment in respect of Environmental Impact Assessment for the Project.

6. Approvals/permits relating to immigration matters, including expatriate quota and temporary work permits etc.

7 Timely approval of offshore insurance by NAICOM. The successful procurement of financing will necessitate the procurement of some level of foreign insurance/reinsurance in respect of the Project due to the very large sums involved. In this regard, the Concessionaire and the foreign lenders will require an assurance from the FGN that the required approval will be granted timeously by NAICOM under Section 72(4) of the Insurance Act (No. 1) 2003.

8. Licences/permits required for the importation or exportation of equipment for the Concessionaire, its contractors and sub-contractors.

9. Permit of the National Inland Waterways Authority for the use of land within the right-of-way of declared waterway pursuant to the National Inland Waterways Authority Act Chapter N47, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

10. The waiver by the Minister of Commerce & Industry of Corporate Affairs Commission filing fees in respect of Security Documents pursuant to Section 632 of the Companies and Allied Matters Act, 1990.

11. Any other permits that may be required now or at a future date pursuant to any present or future legislation.
[/b]

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Tinubu has several Federal Government Ministries and Agencies, Ministers and Civil Servants, eating out of this scam. We will not stop until we scatter his empire. Ole jatijati!!!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by lastpage: 3:44am On Dec 14, 2011
LCC from day-one has Bola Ahmed Tinubu WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!
Dont mind the web of deceit he wove around it so as to befuddle "educated illiterates" like himself!

This Concessionaire is a criminal act to the core and l will bet that one day,just one day, one "Nigerian Rawlings" would have Tinubu's balls for this. Imagine all the "waivers and exemptions" they gave themselves!
Abuse of office to the core!

Fashola is playing dumb, closing his eyes to this brazen criminality (l can not rule out the possibility that he is assured of his own cut from this shenanigan) but as a Lawyer, l am sure he knows what the term "accessory" means.

BTW: It is erroneous to say Nigerians love freeloading.
I have seen Tolled-Roads in many parts of the world and it not done this way. Infact, you will feel very glad to pay those toll due to the "value they have added".

How can you justify 3-Tolls on one stretch of road, a road that you only added a SINGLE LANE and THREE ROUND-ABOUTS, A road that is yet to be completed?
And look at what they called "alternative roads"! Is it not obvious that the road mentioned is designed to cause you so much pain that you will regret taking your car on that bush-path, than paying Tinubu his retirement benefit? grin
In sane climes ruled by sane people, the "alternative route" is equally as motorable but might only be single lanes, longer route or even prone to hold-ups but not some dangerous dirt road that these clowns are pointing to.

Where in the world have you seen an uncompleted road being tolled? Why must everything be done with a criminal, fleecing intention, in Nigeria?
Why cant Lagos state Govt (Tinubu & Fashola) give them a concession to build a FRESH ROAD and Toll it?
Why did they not go and build the 4th Mainland Bridge and toll it and then see if people will not be happy to pay?

Tolling a "cosmetic job" on an already existing road is CRIMINAL.

Imagine if Jakande has the same mindset like these two thieves, He would have Tolled the same road, which he built from scratch, for over twenty years!

Politics aside, it is becoming very clear to everyone that Bola Ahmed Tinubu has done (and is doing) incalculable damage to this state!

His Greed and thievery is beyond understanding

Well, they say Nigerians dont have balls thus, Jonathan can double the price of Petrol without giving a hoot about the people;
Fashola and Tinubu can toll them to death, for some cosmetic roadworks, Okay, lets see if they are right or not.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 8:27am On Dec 14, 2011
Tinubu has always been a crook. He didn't start today. His early life saw him hustling on the streets of Ibadan, and eventually graduating into one of the top document forgers around Cocoa House.

Fashola is simply a toady. He was Tinubu's personal lawyer, and was made Chief-Of-Staff, and de-facto Deputy Governor for that reason, even while Pedro was the Deputy. Fashola reviewed the Concession Agreement when it was brought from the London Law firm that drafted it, before Tinubu finally signed it.

The corrupt elements in Yar'Adua's government, possibly including Yar'Adua himself, collaborated with Bola Tinubu on this agreement. They signed the Federal Support Agreement, which forms one of the 3 leprous legs on which this dirty agreement stands.

Bola Tinubu has already found new accomplices in the new government of Jonathan, like the current Minister for Works, Mike Onomelem and the incompetent Minister for Trade and Investment, Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga. Both are working as if they were employed by Bola Tinubu, and not Jonathan. They're actually working against the President's interests. I only hope he finds out and sacks them before it's too late.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by brainpulse: 8:41am On Dec 14, 2011
coogar:

that's a tea spoon out of the ocean if you have copped 80 million naira this year as income.
in a nutshell, what you have paid as PAYE taxes makes no difference if you don't tell us your income.

don't mind them. . . . .3 pages ago, these runts are arguing there's no alternative route at all. now that they have been told there are actually routes, the story changed to those roads are too narrow/not motorable/there are gates/etc.

if they want to use the crisp roads, they should pay for it.
if they cannot afford to pay, then they should relocate out of the area or build a canoe!

You are a child of a Dog for this comment
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 9:51am On Dec 14, 2011
brainpulse:

When I pointed out the envy evident in his tone, he denied it vigorously. Now you can see it for yourself. The bobo is still busy trying to get his residency papers in the UK, while envying those of us who chose to leave that country to try and build up our own through sheer hard work, and not involvement in government business.

Na dat envy and bad-bellus go kill am!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Eteks: 10:13am On Dec 14, 2011
It's worrisome how much misinformation is deliberately put out there about this road. It's also worrisome that some people resort to abuse and intimidation when doing so, which is frankly-speaking no way to get your point across. Let's examine the facts around some of the misinformation:

(1). There is definitely an alternative route around the 1st toll gate in Lekki. For example, from VI, turn right at Oniru Intersection into Oba Yesufu Oniru Rd, drive by Four Points Hotel, City of David Church, Atlantic Beach Estate, eventually onto Oniru Market Road, and back onto the expressway. You won't have paid any toll but you will still enjoy the new expressway. I live in the area and drive the route regularly, so I know that the alternative route to bypass the toll gate does exist. The alternative route to bypass the second toll gate by Chevron is half-completed. That is why the government is not allowing LCC to start collecting tolls there yet. I've driven there to see the road myself, which you can access from Chevron Drive, and I can confirm that it does exist.

(2). Tinubu does not own LCC as is falsely claimed by people trying to tarnish the company's reputation. If you check the records at the corporate affairs commission in Abuja, you will see that there is no past or present govermor or other government official on the list of shareholders.

(3). Lekki-Epe Expressway is not the only road currently being tolled in Lagos. Tolls have been collected at the Airport Road by Murtala Muhammed International Airport for years.

(4). The work done by LCC is more thanthe addition of 2 lanes as often claimed. They have built the new dual-lane Falomo ramp bridge; they expanded Mobil Bridge from 4 to 8 lanes; they have built several pedestrian bridges; there are several new roundabouts, new traffic lights and street lights, new drainage systems, new underground service ducts, etc. LCC also provides what they call incident management services, which are complementary, such as free towing if you breakdown, ambulance services, route patrols, a free-of-charge customer helpline, etc. They say that they've helped over 7,000 distressed motorists. I'm one of those that got a free tow, which saved me about N50,000.

(5).  Lagos State never borrowed $43M from a South African bank and then gave the money to LCC to start the work, as claimed by some people.  The website of Standard Bank group, when describing how the financing of the project was structured, confirmed that Lagos State advanced a loan to LCC at financial close. A loan is not a gift and has to be paid back. That event happened in 2008, while the loan was actually for a sum of N5Bn. This loan should be viewed in context of the N43Bn of shareholders equity and other loans that LCC had already secured for the project, as we have heard about in various forum where LCC's CEO has publicly explained how the project was financed. I've attended some of those forums myself. Furthermore, since the work started in 2007, it should be clear that LCC used funds other thanthe Lagos State loan advanced to them in 2008, to start up the work.

I'll probably have a torrent of abuse rained on me by some people for saying this, however, I believe that if we look at the facts objectively, we'll see that these LCC guys have done a lot, and more. They've not only brought in a lot of money to rehabilitate and service a road which although built over 30 years ago, was in fast deteriorating and unsafe condition, but have also helped to restore confidence of investors in Lagos and Nigeria at large. Isn't this what government at both state and federal level are saying they want in order to take the country forward?  This project needs to be debated at the level of progress and development, and not be reduced to petty politics and trying to destroy a good thing. That's like cutting your own nose to spite your face!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by naptu2: 10:25am On Dec 14, 2011
@ Eteks: God bless you. I lived in the Lekki area over 10 years ago, moved away and came back & the difference in road quality is clear. Everybody knows there's an alternative route by-passing Admiralty Circle Plaza & that the security situation around that road has greatly improved, but propaganda is such a bad thing.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Eteks: 10:29am On Dec 14, 2011
We should all be worried about the poor people that live along the Lekki-Epe axis.  They need good roads too.  A survey of the area will reveal that the main mode of transport that these people use are danfo buses. Well, LCC has introduced a Public Transport Discount targeted exclusively at danfo buses. This means that danfos immediately pay 47% less just for being danfos. The information LCC has published further shows that danfos can also benefit from the Frequent User Discount if they register to pay tolls electronically using eTag. This additional discount, which will benefit danfos a lot since they are frequent users of the road, will save them up to 70% at the highest discount level. Besides, danfos today now make more trips on the road that they could in the past, because of the reduced congestion in areas where the work is complete. Danfos are therefore making more money now than before. If danfos increase their prices, people should question it. The poorer residents of Lekki don't need to worry.  The toll pricing that LCC announced caters for them.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emmatok(m): 10:33am On Dec 14, 2011
Eteks:

It's worrisome how much misinformation is deliberately put out there about this road. It's also worrisome that some people resort to abuse and intimidation when doing so, which is frankly-speaking no way to get your point across. Let's examine the facts around some of the misinformation:

(1). There is definitely an alternative route around the 1st toll gate in Lekki. For example, from VI, turn right at Oniru Intersection into Oba Yesufu Oniru Rd, drive by Four Points Hotel, City of David Church, Atlantic Beach Estate, eventually onto Oniru Market Road, and back onto the expressway. You won't have paid any toll but you will still enjoy the new expressway. I live in the area and drive the route regularly, so I know that the alternative route to bypass the toll gate does exist. The alternative route to bypass the second toll gate by Chevron is half-completed. That is why the government is not allowing LCC to start collecting tolls there yet. I've driven there to see the road myself, which you can access from Chevron Drive, and I can confirm that it does exist.

(2). Tinubu does not own LCC as is falsely claimed by people trying to tarnish the company's reputation. If you check the records at the corporate affairs commission in Abuja, you will see that there is no past or present govermor or other government official on the list of shareholders.

(3). Lekki-Epe Expressway is not the only road currently being tolled in Lagos. Tolls have been collected at the Airport Road by Murtala Muhammed International Airport for years.

(4). The work done by LCC is more thanthe addition of 2 lanes as often claimed. They have built the new dual-lane Falomo ramp bridge; they expanded Mobil Bridge from 4 to 8 lanes; they have built several pedestrian bridges; there are several new roundabouts, new traffic lights and street lights, new drainage systems, new underground service ducts, etc. LCC also provides what they call incident management services, which are complementary, such as free towing if you breakdown, ambulance services, route patrols, a free-of-charge customer helpline, etc. They say that they've helped over 7,000 distressed motorists. I'm one of those that got a free tow, which saved me about N50,000.

(5).  Lagos State never borrowed $43M from a South African bank and then gave the money to LCC to start the work, as claimed by some people.  The website of Standard Bank group, when describing how the financing of the project was structured, confirmed that Lagos State advanced a loan to LCC at financial close. A loan is not a gift and has to be paid back. That event happened in 2008, while the loan was actually for a sum of N5Bn. This loan should be viewed in context of the N43Bn of shareholders equity and other loans that LCC had already secured for the project, as we have heard about in various forum where LCC's CEO has publicly explained how the project was financed. I've attended some of those forums myself. Furthermore, since the work started in 2007, it should be clear that LCC used funds other thanthe Lagos State loan advanced to them in 2008, to start up the work.

I'll probably have a torrent of abuse rained on me by some people for saying this, however, I believe that if we look at the facts objectively, we'll see that these LCC guys have done a lot, and more. They've not only brought in a lot of money to rehabilitate and service a road which although built over 30 years ago, was in fast deteriorating and unsafe condition, but have also helped to restore confidence of investors in Lagos and Nigeria at large. Isn't this what government at both state and federal level are saying they want in order to take the country forward?  This project needs to be debated at the level of progress and development, and not be reduced to petty politics and trying to destroy a good thing. That's like cutting your own nose to spite your face!

So you registered on NL, just to feed us with torrent of LIES

Those Alternative you mentioned are[b] streets within Estates [/b], you forgot to tell us tell us that those Alternative road have GATES. grin grin grin grin

Why rehabilitate and service an old road just to collect Tolls.

Why not built a new one and collect tolls on it.

We are just lucky that 3rd Mainland bridge, Ikorodu-road and Badagry Express are Federal roads, else Fashola/Tinubu will collect tolls for serving them.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by nku5: 10:49am On Dec 14, 2011
@ eteks - besides the street that runs past the four points hotel are there any other access roads for people to access as you go further up the expressway at the chevron drive area? As at yesterday there was NO alternative. The road that people used to divert away from the lekki expressway traffic , talking about the alfa beach road that passes through okun-ajah and comes out around abraham adesanya estate has been destroyed by the ocean. The state government didn't do anything about despite all the warnings, it makes me wonder if they wanted that alternative extinguished. Secondly you can't bring in the falomo bridge ramp as an excuse for tolling the lekki expressway. Thirdly your "search" at the CAC is to me a case of fulfilling all bare righteousness. If I wanted to fund and control an operation of that scale, I'd be smart enough to not put my name as a director of the company. Abeg no need for too much grammar , you can't put an extra lane, do a shoddy job of rehabilitating a road and wake up to decree that everyone is bound to pay for 30yrs.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Honeycity(f): 10:56am On Dec 14, 2011
It appears ETEKS is part and parcel of LCC grin
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by 2AMLasgidi: 10:57am On Dec 14, 2011
Eteks, God bless the day your mama born you!  , 
I wonder how some unserious people like Ebun will come to NL with millions of strangers. We need to reclaim our NL from them now.

Where is beaf for God sake!!! Some people are talking about the Masses,   As for the masses (I wont call them poor people) I have seen close to 40 mass transit (lagbus/brt) buses which one way or the other would serve as a deterrent to danfo drivers who may want to take unneccessary advantage, believe me, passengers would naturally migrate to the cheaper option if the danfo drivers decided to to pass such a meager ammount they are meant to pay  by passing it on to the masses.

This is suppose to be a Model road in Nigeria, Security is paramount to me. may be not to Ebun Adegboruwa or those who have threatened to bring boko haram to bomb the toll plaza. For me Ebun Adegboruwa is just seeking unnecessary attention with a lot of lies to mislead people. For me, this guy is a foot soldier of Bode George & PDP.
Let Bode (the ex-Convict) lead the protest and we shall see who will follow a convict.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by karlmax2: 11:26am On Dec 14, 2011
@ eteks - besides the street that runs past the four points hotel are there any other access roads for people to access as you go further up the expressway at the chevron drive area? As at yesterday there was NO alternative. The road that people used to divert away from the lekki expressway traffic , talking about the alfa beach road that passes through okun-ajah and comes out around abraham adesanya estate has been destroyed by the ocean. The state government didn't do anything about despite all the warnings, it makes me wonder if they wanted that alternative extinguished. Secondly you can't bring in the falomo bridge ramp as an excuse for tolling the lekki expressway. Thirdly your "search" at the CAC is to me a case of fulfilling all bare righteousness. If I wanted to fund and control an operation of that scale, I'd be smart enough to not put my name as a director of the company. Abeg no need for too much grammar , you can't put an extra lane, do a shoddy job of rehabilitating a road and wake up to decree that everyone is bound to pay for 30yrs.

My broda Ʊ ∂eƔ mind the ignorant people wey full this NL we are talking of 3 toll gate they keep harping on the so called estate. Road alternative route what about the 2 other toll plaza the one on chevron pls tinubu fashola ass l lickers should outline the alternative to the remaing 2 toll plaza I hope I Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ people like Ʊ there on the protect day to come and defend ur so called alternative route!!!!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 11:47am On Dec 14, 2011
Eteks:

1. That alternative route you refer to passes through the Privately Owned Oniru Estate, through gated streets, which the owners may decide to start tolling for. At any rate, the Agreement provides as follows, under Clause 20.2.1 of the Agreement:

20.2 Entitlement to Collect Tolls

20.2.1 The Concessionaire shall be entitled  to charge and collect Tolls from users of each section of:

(a) Phase 1, on the Phase 1 Toll Dates;

(b) Phase 2, on the Phase 2 Toll Dates; and

(c) the Southern Bypass, on the Southern Bypass Toll Dates.

Without prejudice to the foregoing, the Concessionaire shall be entitled to collect Tolls from users of any junction with or entry onto or egress from the Toll Road whether or not such junction or point of entry or egress from the Toll Road was created by the Concessionaire, at any time after the Concessionaire becomes aware of the same, and in all cases, the Concessionaire shall be responsible for all expenses related to the collection of Tolls.

2. We know who the shareholders of LCC are. They are all corporate organisations with more than a passing link to Bola Ahmed Tinubu. ARM is believed to have been bought out of the GTB group with funds provided by Bola Tinubu, through several fronts. Hitech is known to be a partnership between the Chaghoury's and Bola Tinubu. AIIF and Larue Ltd are shell companies, not existing prior to 2005. Who are their owners You can lie all you want. The breeze has exposed the backside of the chicken.

3. Before the direct route to the Air Force base and the Local Terminals was tolled, IT WAS COMPLETED!! IN FULL!! Lekki-Epe expressway has not been completed, and it appears that they want to collect the tolls to fund the completion of the road! There is also a longer, but well finished alternative route to go to the Local Airport, for those who don't want to pay tolls. There is no basis for comparison!

4. Before nko? Do they expect to build a road without drainage or without means of crossing it for pedestrians? What exactly are you on about? Where do you build inner-city roads without making it possible for pedestrians to cross it? How is that "additional works"?

5. Agreed. What they did was dip their grubby fingers in our treasury and take $42m from it to dash to their own company, LCC. I know they're calling it a loan now, but why is it not possible to tell us at what rate they're borrowing it and for how long? Why did they not tell us until they were exposed? Why hide?

If there is any petty politics, it would appear that it's from you. We are discussing how this road is affecting Lagosians lives, and it is quite bad.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Eteks: 12:17pm On Dec 14, 2011
Here we go again. The minute that someone decides to put forward the facts about LCC, so that we can stop allowing ourselves to be misled by people spreading untruths about this project, you get people accusing you of working for LCC.  If people bothered to research the facts, which you can find on LCC's website, in various publications, and from conferences both in Nigeria and overseas where this project has been discussed extensively for years, you will see the information available in the public domain.  You can also write to LCC's email address and ask them questions.  I have found  that they respond fairly quickly. There's no need to work for LCC in order to get the facts.  So let's stay focused on the core issues of development and progress, and not be distracted by the mudslinging and abuse. Regarding the alternative route around the 1st toll gate, I again repeat that you will be able to avoid that toll gate entirely and get back onto the expressway if you use Oba Yesufu Oniru Rd and Oniru Market Road.  There are NO GATES in the way as has been claimed.  If you don't believe this then I suggest that you go there and see it for yourself.  The facts will speak for themselves. Lagos State has said it will provide alernative routes so people that don't want to pay tolls can avoid the toll gates and still return back to the expressway and use it. Until that has happened, they have said they will not allow toll to be collected at the toll gate where the alternative route is not ready. That is the reason why they are only allowing LCC to start collecting toll at the Oniru Toll gate. The alternative route around Oniru toll gate is complete.  What other alternative route do some people want beyond this since their main thing is to avoid paying toll but still use the road. Falomo Bridge Ramp is an example of why it is wrong to describe what LCC has done as just adding one lane. Let's face facts, whether you support tolling or not - LCC had done more than some people claim. It's about the truth. Let's stop lying to ourselves. Development comes at a cost.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by djustice: 12:44pm On Dec 14, 2011
Eteks:

Here we go again. The minute that someone decides to put forward the facts about LCC, so that we can stop allowing ourselves to be misled by people spreading untruths about this project, you get people accusing you of working for LCC.  If people bothered to research the facts, which you can find on LCC's website, in various publications, and from conferences both in Nigeria and overseas where this project has been discussed extensively for years, you will see the information available in the public domain.  You can also write to LCC's email address and ask them questions.  I have found  that they respond fairly quickly. There's no need to work for LCC in order to get the facts.  So let's stay focused on the core issues of development and progress, and not be distracted by the mudslinging and abuse. Regarding the alternative route around the 1st toll gate, I again repeat that you will be able to avoid that toll gate entirely and get back onto the expressway if you use Oba Yesufu Oniru Rd and Oniru Market Road.  There are NO GATES in the way as has been claimed.  If you don't believe this then I suggest that you go there and see it for yourself.  The facts will speak for themselves. Lagos State has said it will provide alernative routes so people that don't want to pay tolls can avoid the toll gates and still return back to the expressway and use it. Until that has happened, they have said they will not allow toll to be collected at the toll gate where the alternative route is not ready. That is the reason why they are only allowing LCC to start collecting toll at the Oniru Toll gate. The alternative route around Oniru toll gate is complete.  What other alternative route do some people want beyond this since their main thing is to avoid paying toll but still use the road. Falomo Bridge Ramp is an example of why it is wrong to describe what LCC has done as just adding one lane. Let's face facts, whether you support tolling or not - LCC had done more than some people claim. It's about the truth. Let's stop lying to ourselves. Development comes at a cost.

Fortunately, I have not yet accused you of working for LCC. Are you? Elefo o, "Ooo oo! Efo temi kii se tete o!". Why not wait until you're accused before you issue a rebuttal? Sounds to me like you're protesting on their behalf just a little too much!

Now, how do you situate your position alongside Clause 20 of the Concession Agreement, as stated below:

Clause 20.2.1 of the Agreement:

20.2 Entitlement to Collect Tolls

20.2.1 The Concessionaire shall be entitled to charge and collect Tolls from users of each section of:

(a) Phase 1, on the Phase 1 Toll Dates;

(b) Phase 2, on the Phase 2 Toll Dates; and

(c) the Southern Bypass, on the Southern Bypass Toll Dates.

Without prejudice to the foregoing, the Concessionaire shall be entitled to collect Tolls from users of any junction with or entry onto or egress from the Toll Road whether or not such junction or point of entry or egress from the Toll Road was created by the Concessionaire, at any time after the Concessionaire becomes aware of the same, and in all cases, the Concessionaire shall be responsible for all expenses related to the collection of Tolls.

Can you still safely say that these alternatives will never be tolled in the life of this concession? There is nothing in the agreement requiring LCC or the government for that matter to provide alternative routes as a pre-condition to tolling!!!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 12:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
brainpulse:

may amadioha kindly impregnate all the female species in your household with 7 albino midgets each.
you scumbag!

djustice:

When I pointed out the envy evident in his tone, he denied it vigorously. Now you can see it for yourself. The bobo is still busy trying to get his residency papers in the UK, while envying those of us who chose to leave that country to try and build up our own through sheer hard work, and not involvement in government business.

Na dat envy and bad-bellus go kill am!

the stark illiterate has found his tongue! grin
may the gods shrivel your c[i]o[/i]ck

residency papers? grin grin grin grin grin
if only you know i actually stay in that same area, your idiocy level wouldn't have sunken so low.
i need to buy you artificial intelligence. the natural intelligence bestowed to you by the heavens has vanished!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Eteks: 1:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
It's good to see that someone has been researching some facts, at least I assume so, since they have published what they say are extracts from the LCC Concession Agreement.  I don't see how that changes anything though, as it only confirms that the concession is a toll road. Such clauses are not unusual in such projects based on my independent research.  On the ownership of LCC, I decided to check out the AIIF shareholder recently claimed to be a shell company. It wasn't difficult to do this using google.com, which led me to the website of the Macquarie Group. Here's what they say about AIIF: "AIIF was established as a successor fund to SAIF, targeting assets in Africa with a bias towards South African investments. AIIF was established in 2004, with total investor commitments of ZAR1.32 billion , AIIF has largely focused on transport assets in South Africa and Nigeria, but also has stakes in telecommunications and power assets , ". Their website also shows that they have investments in other tolls roads, including in South Africa and Mozambique. Some shell company!  The story about the expressway not being completed yet doesn't wash with me. We've heard time and again that the Concession Agreement provides for the road to be built in sections, and that each section must be certified by an international engineering company before toll can be collected there. My reasearch again confirms this to be normal in PPP. Even Lagos State government has confirmed this in LCC's favour. We have all been using the road while LCC's spends money to repair and maintain it, yet some people don't want to pay. Development is not free. Regarding the pedestrian bridges that we are now told are not "additional works", I'm still trying to understand how they could be mistaken as an additional lane.  And the Falomo ramp bridge, and the expansion of Mobil bridge? Anyway, I first learnt about the N5Bn loan provided by Lagos State when I went to a conference as far back as 2009 where the financing structure was explained. That information was made public a long time ago. I don't see anyone hiding from anything. It's a good thing that Lagos State was willing to provide a loan. It hepls to atrract investors like Macquarie Groupo
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by mrjingles(m): 1:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
I keep saying it, the level of our education in Nigeria is worrisome, for someone to call an investment fund a "shell company" shows how uninformed a lot of us are. I won't comment beyond that.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 2:34pm On Dec 14, 2011
mrjingles:

I keep saying it, the level of our eduction in Nigeria is worrisome, for someone to call an investment fund a "shell company" shows how uninformed a lot of us are. I won't comment beyond that.
being uninformed has very little to do with the level of  "EDUCTION" whatever that is.
i wonder how many people are "informed" about the behaviour of quarks or hadrons when bombarded with X-rays and what that tells us about their level of EDUCTION
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by mrjingles(m): 2:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
^ Thanks for the "correction" but education teaches basic logic. Most of the posts on Nland these days lacks this vital ingredient and hence the debates have been reduced to hurling insults. Am not referring to technical issues and knowledge of jargon(quarks and hadrons hardly show up in everyday conversations)
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by nku5: 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
Lol! Aribisala, you must be a really humorous guy in real life

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Anambra PDP Sacks Metuh / Pictures From Sanwo Olu Apc Mega Rally, Campus Square Lagos. Pictures. / FG To Regulate Social Media - Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 208
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.