Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,198 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters (19991 Views)

Fashola Mocked On Twitter For Blaming GEJ Over Lekki Robbery With #fasholajoker / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by phuckNL: 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2011
Genius100:

Spoken like a true Crack junkie! Of what consequence is it that New york is not in the same state of New Jersey? Hundreds of thousands of people live in New Jersey and work in New york, so what is your point? The point here is that you want to commute to a premium place like New york, you pay for it.

Second, Is toll currently being charged ? The road has been completed for several months and nobody has paid toll yet. That should tell an intellectual dwarf like you that Fashola is looking for alternatives. When they start charing toll without providing an alternative oad, then you can open your stinking trap. Just don't come here to talk about the inconvenience of using the alternative road.

Guy, stop commenting. You don't know anything about this road so stop commenting. The road has been completed abi? It is not by force to post.They said they want to start charging toll on the 18th and you are saying when they start tolling without alternatives we can shout. Where is the so called alternative? Oniru residential area abi? You know nothing about this road so stop posting
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 5:17pm On Dec 13, 2011
aribisala0:

@coogar you will notice I did not make any remarks about you?
try and deal with the issues without  referencing me. You are not really in a position to comment on my intelligence or lack of it.
like i said we don't agree on the facts.
i know Lagos VERY well particularly ALL those parts that are considered Ijebu land. There have been armed robberies in Ikorodu pretty much every day and a younger  area  "brother" was gunned down last week.
Our experience of security is different.

like i said - you cannot completely eradicate crime.

Yes as far as concessioning goes THE PUBLIC have a right to ask how much the company is making i.e cost basis vis a vis justification for the levy since it involves mandatory fees on public infrastructure.
as voters/tax payers people have a right to ask
What is the COST of the works that are being claimed and does this justify the arrangements entered into.
Personally i do NOT know and take no position BUT the government needs to open up

i am sure the information would be provided at the secretariat!
you guys should go to alausa and demand for this info. fashola is not an illiterate. why do you guys think he's become a rogue all of a sudden?

In fact if the freedom of information act was functioning like it should we would know everything about this deal.
there are people who are AUTOCHTHONS in that area and I do not see why they should pay a premium for living in there homesteads.

hehe - lekki is a highbrow area.
i want to live in kessington gardens or hyde park as well. . . .but i cannot afford it.
the people living in that part of london pay congestion charge everyday - they do not complain!

If the Idea is a premium area charge, this should entail premium services which the government does NOT provide in Lekki. The government should come out and say they have such a policy and we can debate its lawfulness and evenness of application.
so far what i see are ad-hoc explanations for what is a scheme that has been poorly conceived and communicated.

but i have been told the security in that area is much better on the mainland, no?
the roads are better, the basic amenities are better. the only parts of lagos with street lights, etc.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by 2AMLasgidi: 5:35pm On Dec 13, 2011
I work in Lekki Phase 1; I drive to and from this road every day. Since LCC has announced the tolling commencement date, I have cultivated the habit of using the alternative routes in the morning. I make my turning just by the Four Point junction through Oba Yesufu Abiodun Oniru by the City of David Church, I just turn to the left to T. F. Kuboye Road and hit the popular Market road to link the-Eti Osa-Lekki-Epe Expressway. I’ll just make my U-Turn at the newly constructed Round about pronto am right inside Lekki Phase 1. No toll payment… so what is the fuss all about?

When do we move forward if we stifle development project with protests? Last year we all requested for alternative routes which they have provided, so what else? If you don’t want to pay just branch out at the ‘Four Point Junction” Guys, we may as well just bid farewell to other investors bring their money to invest in infrastructure. I blame the Lagos State government too, they need to explain this thing clearly to people so that those who have their own personal agenda dont come out and misinform the public as we are witnessing now. I learnt Bode George is the man to lead the protest march being planned for Sunday 18, December. What nonsense!

Check out this : Fast Facts about China Roads…
• China’s expressway network of 65,000 kilometers (40,389 miles) is the second largest in the world, next only to the U.S.
• By 2020 the government plans to reach three million kilometers (1.86 million miles) of expressways and highways, up from two million kilometers (1.24 million miles) in 2008.
• China houses more toll roads than any other country, with Chinese toll roads representing more than 70% of the world’s total toll roads.
• The government finances the majority of the road projects through its own budget and debt, while the private sector plays a limited role.
• The toll road sector was one of the three most profitable businesses in China for 2009, along with real estate and finance.

Read More:  http://www.thomaswhite.com/explore-the-world/bric-spotlight/china-toll-roads-expressways.aspx
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

I work in Lekki Phase 1; I drive to and from this road every day. Since LCC has announced the tolling commencement date, I have cultivated the habit of using the alternative routes in the morning. I make my turning just by the Four Point junction through Oba Yesufu Abiodun Oniru by the City of David Church, I just turn to the left to T. F. Kuboye Road and hit the popular Market road to link the-Eti Osa-Lekki-Epe Expressway. I’ll just make my U-Turn at the newly constructed Round about pronto am right inside Lekki Phase 1. No toll payment… so what is the fuss all about?

When do we move forward if we stifle development project with protests? Last year we all requested for alternative routes which they have provided, so what else? If you don’t want to pay just branch out at the ‘Four Point Junction” Guys, we may as well just bid farewell to other investors bring their money to invest in infrastructure. I blame the Lagos State government too, they need to explain this thing clearly to people so that those who have their own personal agenda dont come out and misinform the public as we are witnessing now. I learnt Bode George is the man to lead the protest march being planned for Sunday 18, December. What nonsense!

• China’s expressway network of 65,000 kilometers (40,389 miles) is the second largest in the world, next only to the U.S.
• By 2020 the government plans to reach three million kilometers (1.86 million miles) of expressways and highways, up from two million kilometers (1.24 million miles) in 2008.
• China houses more toll roads than any other country, with Chinese toll roads representing more than 70% of the world’s total toll roads.
• The government finances the majority of the road projects through its own budget and debt, while the private sector plays a limited role.
• The toll road sector was one of the three most profitable businesses in China for 2009, along with real estate and finance.

Read More:  http://www.thomaswhite.com/explore-the-world/bric-spotlight/china-toll-roads-expressways.aspx

may heaven bless you with this piece of information.

waiting patiently for the enemies of progress to continue their gnashing of teeth.
spoilt nigerians who expect government to get them the foodstuffs, cook it for them, serve it and clear the table for them.
only in nigeria do people think the government must provide everything without paying a dime for them.

i never even knew alternative roads have been provided and yet that miscreant called bode george is leading the protest.
i hope he gets arrested for inciting riots in lagos.
what a pubic louse of a man!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2011
He said time is up for ACN in the state. 'Fashola should not pay money to Tinubu. [size=13pt]How can you have three tollgates in one local government? There is no alternative route for people in the area that may choose not to go through the tollgate.[/size] This is imprisonment. These people don't mean well for the state,' said George.

Lagos State governor, after lifting the ban on toll collection retorted:

'The politically motivated resistance to the commencement of toll collection on the Eti-Osa, Lekki-Epe Expressway means that your government had to part with N4 billion for year 2011 which could have been used to provide more schools,

inner roads, hospitals and social needs in Eti-Osa, Ibeju-Lekki and Epe areas.

'This decision was sensible and necessary in order to maintain much needed and growing investor confidence in the Lagos economy, in order to maintain our credit rating and reduce our credit risk.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201112130487.html
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Dec 13, 2011

Giving an overview of the project in an exclusive interview with THISDAY last week, CEO/managing director, LCC, Opuiyo Oforiokuma, recalled that the design, financing, rehabilitation, upgrade, operation and maintenance, of approximately 50km of the Eti-Osa Lekki-Epe Expressway and approximately 20km of the coastal road, with the option to construct the southern bypass, was concessioned to LCC as far back as 2006(When Tinubu was Governor), under a 30-year concession using the build, operate and transfer model for public private partnerships.

Justifying the planned commencement of toll collection, he said “The concession agreement between Lagos State Government and LCC provides for the road to be tolled when defined sections are substantially completed, and have been certified as such by the independent engineer - an international firm of consultant engineers with significant experience in projects of this nature.”

He maintained that the first road section, which commences at the descent from the Falomo Bridge Loop onto Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue in Victoria Island, and ends near the Marwa Bus Stop in Lekki, was certified by the independent engineering firm as substantially complete in July 2010.

[size=13pt]According to him, the Lagos State Government, however, prevented LCC from commencing the collection of tolls as provided for under the concession agreement for various reasons, which as stated in the government's public announcement on December 29, 2010, suspending toll collection, included a desire on the part of government to allow more time for it to provide alternative routes to enable road users that prefer not to pay tolls, to bypass the toll plazas, and also to allow more of the road works to be completed[/size].

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-lcc-justify-payment-of-tolls-on-lekki-epe-expressway/104765/
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Dec 13, 2011
. . . . . .

[size=13pt]“However, it appears from the governor's November 14 budget speech, during which he announced the lifting of the previous suspension of tolling, that the payment to LCC as provided for in the concession agreement has placed a strain on the government's resources. This, we understand, besides the need to begin to apply user-pays principles for what is a high quality road asset and related services, were key drivers behind Lagos State Government's lifting of the suspension of toll collection on the Eti-Osa Lekki-Epe Expressway,” Oforiokuma said.[/size]

When prodded to disclose how much has been paid into the coffers of his company by the state government, the company's helmsman declined, describing such issue as a confidential one. “Such issues are covered by confidentiality. Accordingly, LCC is not at liberty to discuss this in the media. We note, however, that the governor during his 2012 budget speech, stated that Lagos State Government had paid N4 billion to LCC by way of compensation,” he said.

Against the backdrop of the heated debate generated by the previous attempt to introduce toll fares on the road, Oforiokuma said the latest effort by the state government to allow LCC run the road amounted to letting the company do what it ought to have done a year ago.

“As the private investor financing and providing the new road assets and related services, and one which has fulfilled all the requirements of the concession agreement in this regard, that Lagos State Government is now permitting LCC to commence toll collection is simply putting LCC in a position to do what we have been entitled to for over a year now. This is how private investment in infrastructure works.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-lcc-justify-payment-of-tolls-on-lekki-epe-expressway/104765/

So, no indications that the Government actually kept it's promise of providing alternative routes . . . the suspension is being lifted simply because of the strain of the cost on the government . . .
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 6:24pm On Dec 13, 2011
4 billion naira is a lot of money if the government has that kind of money why did they not upgrade the road in the first place
second Lagos State has so many liabilities why were they so quick to pay this one
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Genius100: 6:28pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

. . . . . .

So, no indications that the Government actually kept it's promise of providing alternative routes . . . the suspension is being lifted simply because of the strain of the cost on the government . . .

Stop clutching at straws. Today is December 13th and nobody has paid toll yet. Lasgidi has posted the alternative route. Others have also posted an alternative route on Oniru. People have been enjoying the road for almost a year without paying toll. I was in Nigeria in August, and drove on the same road. The tolls were manned by employees but they were not charging. The employees were probably some analysis on the number of cars that travelled on it everyday, so I won't be surprised if they revise down the charges based on the analysis.

Fashola has done well on this. If you can't afford to live in Lekki, move somewhere else.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Dec 13, 2011
I am gonna guess you do not know what clutching at straws means . .

The article tells you of no such alternative routes. . . matter of fact, as of December 11th 2011, LCC CEO speaks in FUTURE TENSE of the possibilities that could exist with alternative routes . . . That all flew over your head, didn't it??

Seriously, learn to do some real brain work on these things. People will tell you stories on Nairaland but you have to at least be willing to do your homework to ascertain the truth of what you read. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am gonna guess you do not know what clutching at straws means .  . 

The article tells you of no such alternative routes. . .  matter of fact, as of December 11th 2011, LCC CEO speaks in FUTURE TENSE of the possibilities that could exist with alternative routes . . . That all flew over your head, didn't it??

Seriously, learn to do some real brain work on these things. People will tell you stories on Nairaland but you have to at least be willing to do your homework to ascertain the truth of what you read.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i would believe nairalanders before i believe any news media in nigeria.

somebody just said he uses alternative roads to get to his place of work. why would i ignore his comment and believe a condemned criminal like bode george? bode george is a man with hidden agenda - he would say anything to make himself the 21st century nelson mandela. i don't have a problem with him leading the protests but to say there are no alternative route is a disgrace.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Dec 13, 2011
Again . . . LCC CEO himself, according to the report, speaks of existence of alternative routes in the FUTURE tense. Unless someone is able to provide us with verifiable facts that the report is wrong, I would rather go with the report until then.

Saying one believes what one reads on a forum is, to me, lazy-brained approach to research.

When we had this debate last year(2010), I remember quite clearly that some of those on here SWORE HEAVEN AND HELL that Fashola had already provided alternative routes, and so the Lekki residents ought to shut the f-up! However, just some days after the thread had reached, I believe, it's 8th page, Fashola came out and announced suspension of tolls so ALTERNATIVE ROUTES CAN BE PROVIDED . . . Imagine that !!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 6:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again . . . LCC CEO himself, according to the report, speaks of existence of alternative routes in the FUTURE tense. Unless someone is able to provide us with verifiable facts that the report is wrong, I would rather go with the report until then.

Saying one believes what one reads on a forum is, to me, lazy-brained approach to research.

then you are a tool if you think what one reads here is a lazy-brained approach.
the difference between what people type here and what you read in the media is nothing. if lasgidi makes himself available to a drunk journalist, his comments would be printed as well.

When we had this debate last year(2010), I remember quite clearly that some of those on here SWORE HEAVEN AND HELL that Fashola had already provided alternative routes, and so the Lekki residents ought to shut the f-up! However, just some days after the thread had reached, I believe, it's 8th page, Fashola came out and announced suspension of tolls so ALTERNATIVE ROUTES CAN BE PROVIDED . . . Imagine that !!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

there's a difference between alternative route and alternative routes.
if you think there's no alternative route at all - then you are not worthy to be engaged in a debate. i accept the alternative routes provided might not be enough to solve the problem 100% but to hang by the coat-tails that no route has been provided at all(bode george's heresy) is intellectual sterility.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2011

Any who . . . .

Kobojunkie:

Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by coogar: 7:11pm On Dec 13, 2011
Lagos, LCC Unveil Alternative Routes Ahead Of Toll Collection

TAKING into cognizance the protest that characterized the proposed tolling arrangement on the Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe expressway in time past, the Lagos State government, in conjunction with the Concessionaire, the Lekki Construction Company (LCC), last week unveiled the alternative routes ahead of December 18th, toll collection date.

The alternative route for those who may not want to pass through the Admiralty Circle Plaza (1st tolling plaza), located at kilometer 3 along the expressway, is the Ligali Ayorinde-Oba Oniru road, en-route Market Road-First Roundabout. The road is an entrance point to link the expressway for road users coming from either Ikoyi or Victoria Island.

Besides, the second alternative route is for the residents along the Lekki axis, especially, those living in places such as Agungi, Osapa, second round about, Jakande and others and those coming from Eleko-Epe axis. These set of road users have the opportunity of avoiding the tolling plaza, by making a detour at the second round about. The link road passes through Remi Olowude-Kuboye road, also linking the Oniru-Market to connect Exxon Mobil office in Maroko, for those going to, Ikoyi, Obalende and Lagos Island and Ligali Ayorinde to those going to Victoria Island.

Apart from the alternative routes, there are also slip/access roads linking the various communities and business concerns to the expressway. Such newly constructed roads are in places like QMB Builders market, Insurance PHB, Elizade motors immediately after the second round about and places like the Osapa-Agungi axis.

[b]The third alternative route[/b]that commence from both sides of Chevron areas are still ongoing. It was non-completion of these routes that informed the decision by the Lagos government not to allow tolling at the “Conservation Plaza”, the second tolling plaza located at kilometer 13, in the vicinity of Chevron Nigeria Limited.

[b]Briefing Journalists during the tour of the road last week, [/b]the Director General, Private public Partnership (PPP) in Lagos Dr. Ayo Gbeleyi, explained the rationale behind the construction of these alternative routes and access roads.
According to him, one of the agitations by the residents and other stakeholders was the perceived financial burden that tolling would impose on them. Besides, there was this complaint about the inconveniences the fencing of the right of way (ROA) would also impose on the residents and businesses to connect their respective homes and offices.

“The reality was there that these agitations are not unfounded. However, government, in its quest to ameliorate the financial burden, asked the concessionaire to ensure that alternative routes are provided at the appropriate locations. Besides, they were also instructed to provide slip roads at the various locations to avoid undue frustration on the residents”, said Gbeluyi.

On the issue of fencing, many factors informed the decision. Part of the reasons, explained the PPP director general, include the need to protect what he called “traffic insanity”, by the various residents and business owners that may want to come out or get to their premises at every point. “This, coupled with the instances of animals that usually strayed into the highways and the need to protect the ROA from any form of abuses were some of the reasons that informed the fencing. It was purely to ensure safety of lives and property and not for any other ulterior purposes”.

On whether there is political undertone for the suspension of tolling by government last year, the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Abdul Lateef Aderemi Ibirogba, said contrary to the notion that tolling was suspended because of election, “the main reason is that government want to ensure that all the grey areas such as provision of alternative routes, fencing and number of tolling, among other issues were properly addressed”, he said, adding that it was the same consideration that informed the suspension of tolling at the second plaza, pending the completion of the alternative routes and slip roads in the affected areas.

Earlier, the Managing Director, LCC, Mr. Opuiyo Oforiokuma, had announced the commencement date of tolling to be as from the midnight of December 17, 2011. He explained that apart from security and other traffic related innovations being put in place by the L.C.C , “Nigerians plying this route would understand and experience an uncommon service delivery along the axis”.
He told the gathering at the media parley that the second phase of the project will complete in 2012.

kobojunkie, as you can see - you and bode george are a disgrace to humanity!

3 alternative routes identified as @ december 5. . . . . .plus countless access/slip roads.
this is the time to say you, bode george and the host of others gnashing your teeth on this thread without credible facts are homoerotic simpletons!
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Dec 13, 2011

Alternative ROUTES vs Alternative ROUTE
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Dec 13, 2011
The state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Aderemi Ibirogba, at a joint press conference with LCC’s team in Lagos, said government decided to go ahead with toll collection because some of the alternative routes created for people who don’t want to patronise the LCC facilities are now ready for use.

The state government had stayed action on the collection of tolls on the roads in the wake of demonstration and criticisms by stakeholders on the Lekki corridor.

However, Managing Director/ CEO of LCC, Mr. Opuiyo Oforiokuma, who expressed the readiness of his company to ensure road users get full benefits for their money said road users, can avoid the payment of tolls by using alternative routes created by the state government. Such people, according to him, can still make use of the expressway by gaining access to the road through some of the adjacent roads, which funnel into the expressway.

For instance, Toll Plaza 1 has an alternative road through Oniru Arch-City David Road-Market and back on the expressway. Dismissing the gale of criticisms that greeted the earlier attempts to introduce tolls on the road, Oforiokuma said infrastructure projects are capital intensive, adding that it is difficult for any government to meet all the infrastructural needs of the people. “It is about time we recognise the need to pay for what we use, infrastructure is not free,” he said.

According to him, the company process transactions in excess of 2 million month, explaining that the highest peak period of traffic flow recorded was in October when the figure hit approximately 8,000 vehicles. He said the delay over the project was caused by demographical challenge in the state.

To make things easy for users of the road, the LCCI chief said facilities like towing vehicle service, ambulance and a good security arrangement have been put in place by his company.

The state governor had earlier in the year explained that the initial resistance to the commencement of toll collection on the Eti-Osa, Lekki-Epe Expressway means that the state would have to part with N4 billion for this year, which could have been used to provide more schools, inner roads, hospitals and social needs in Eti-Osa, Ibeju-Lekki and Epe areas.”

He described the development as a sensible and necessary decision in order to maintain the much-needed and growing investor confidence in the Lagos economy, maintain credit rating and reduce credit risk.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/toll-collection-on-lekki-epe-expressway-begins-dec-18/104106/

Would be great to get input from anyone who lives in Lekki as to the truth and use of this. According to ThisDay report on the 2nd, there are some alternative routes ready. However, in their Dec 11th report of the interview, the alternatives are still aways in the future. . undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by naptu2: 7:26pm On Dec 13, 2011
Been using Oniru New Market rd (from Ligali Ayorinde) since 2008. It by-passes Admiralty Circle Plaza.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by karlmax2: 7:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
^ don't mind dem where is the alternative for the 2nd plaza that was hastly built at chevron.the alternative route they claim exist is even an estate road inside oniru estate that is very narrow can hardly contain two cars, Pls cooga and co point out the alternative to the other 2 plaza

Oniru estate an alternative thankGod the oniru residences have started erecting gates on there road alternative my back side
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Genius100: 7:35pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Alternative ROUTES vs Alternative ROUTE

This thread has conclusively proven you are a certified idiot. I really pity the man who has the misfortune of marrying you.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
naptu2:

Been using Oniru New Market rd (from Ligali Ayorinde) since 2008. It by-passes Admiralty Circle Plaza.
Was the oniru road expanded, or rehabbed to handle the increase in traffic that is to be expected? Or would this alternative be like driving through someone's backyard just to avoid tolls? I ask because if the road has been available since, why then did the Governor still announce it would have to do work in providing alternatives back in 2010 when it suspended tolls??
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by naptu2: 7:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
Anyway, I plan to walk down to the plaza & see what'll happen on sunday. Maybe I can give live reports. It shld be fun.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On Dec 13, 2011
^^^ Please don't forget to upload pictures and videos . . . loads of them. It is time we televised our own mini-revolutions.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emmatok(m): 7:40pm On Dec 13, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

I work in Lekki Phase 1; I drive to and from this road every day. Since LCC has announced the tolling commencement date, I have cultivated the habit of using the alternative routes in the morning. I make my turning just by the[b] Four Point junction through Oba Yesufu Abiodun Oniru by the City of David Church, I just turn to the left to T. F. Kuboye Road and hit the popular Market road to link the-Eti Osa-Lekki-Epe Expressway. I’ll just make my U-Turn at the newly constructed Round about pronto am right inside Lekki Phase 1[/b]. No toll payment… so what is the fuss all about?

LOL,

That is not an alternative road.

The alternative road is the Shoreline Road lekki which is yet to be constructed.

Those are street roads, that are usually close and opened at certain period for security reasons.

Those shortcuts have been there for long, even before the construction of Shoprite.

You also Forgot that there are 2 other tolls after Lekki-Phase 1.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by karlmax2: 7:42pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:
Quote from: naptu2 on Today at 07:26:23 PM

Was the oniru road expanded, or rehabbed to handle the increase in traffic that is to be expected? Or would this alternative be like driving through someone's backyard just to avoid tolls? I ask because if the road has been available since, why then did the Governor still announce it would have to do work in providing alternatives back in 2010 when it suspended tolls??

Expand for where it was and has not been expanded the estate residence are buildind gates to protect there road
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by naptu2: 7:43pm On Dec 13, 2011
Bad portions of the Oniru road were rehabilitated by Hitech. However, I gathered from people living further down the expressway that there are no alternatives to the 2nd & 3rd toll plazas (well, the only "alternative" is a sandy path along the coastline).
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On Dec 13, 2011
karl max:

Expand for where it was and has not been expanded the estate residence are buildind gates to protect there road

Ukpabio!!!! lol

Are they allowed to gate the roads? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emmatok(m): 7:47pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Ukpabio!!!! lol

Are they allowed to gate the roads?  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

He meant they are not Main roads, just streets linking one estate to the other.

And those estate people shut their gates at certain period for security reasons.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Dec 13, 2011
I found this while searching for references to the existence, or non, of alternative routes and was not sure of the content since I was not able to find other refs to the same.  

Any who, my question is, are any of these routes available?

Before the press conference, journalists had been taken on an experiential site tour of the alternative routes and this provided them opportunity to see the quality of infrastructure and added services that have been put in place on the Eti Osa-Lekki-Epe corridor.

[size=13pt]The site tour took the journalists through the first completed alternative route that runs from Oba Yesufu Abiodun Oniru Road that starts shortly after the Mobil petrol station to Market Road and back on the expressway to enable residents by-pass the first toll plaza at Admiralty Circle. [/size]

[size=13pt]The second alternative route is the 34-kilometre road at Chevron Drive out of which 1.5 kilometres have been completed while work is in progress on the remaining 1.9 kilometres.[/size]
http://ekoonibajeng.com/index.php?topic=4972.0
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Dec 13, 2011
emmatok:

He meant they are not Main roads, just streets link one estate to the other.

And those estate people shut their gates at certain period for security reasons.

I see . . .driving through someone's backyard/kitchen to avoid having to pay toll . . . . ROFL

Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by emmatok(m): 7:51pm On Dec 13, 2011
naptu2:

Bad portions of the  Oniru road were rehabilitated by Hitech. However, I gathered from people living further down the expressway that there are no alternatives to the 2nd & 3rd toll plazas (well, the only "alternative" is a sandy path along the coastline).

The Alternative road is supposed to be at the Shoreline which goes straight to EPE.

The Government is just playing politics with that road.
Re: Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters by TheOne2(m): 7:52pm On Dec 13, 2011
I have been following this thread for the past 2 days and have been holding myself back from commenting. There's a lot of uninformed commentary here from a lot of people who obviously don't know much about the area in question. The first myth I want to correct is the talk that the people in the area covered by the road are rich. BIG FALLACY. Not up to 20% of the people are comfortable not to talk abt being rich. People see estates on the main road from phase 1 to jakande and conclude that represents the population of the place. I challenge anybody to go along any of the roads off the main road and see the abject squalor in those without ANY govt presence. Places like Ilasan, interior Agungi, igbo efon, alfa beach, lafiaji village, olugborangan, onigbongbo village, ikota village epecially the one behind the oando filling station, the slum at Ilaje and Alesh, Alaguntan village and if you branch into Ajah places like oke ira, owode, langbasa etc you will think you stepped into the 18th century. Now govt does nothing for these people and the only remnant bequeathed to them by Jakande is now being taken away by Fashola. You see why they'll fight with the last drop of their blood. Now if you say they don't contribute to the state coffers, what about the so-called rich ones that live in the estates. Again govt does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. All the estates come with their own amenities which the residents pay for because the govt will not do anything. The irony is that to do any project in that place costs an arm and a leg for consent and permits. I will not go into the argument about the morality or legality of the concession. Because of this issue, I went and checked my year-to-date playslip today and discovered to my chagrin that I've paid 8 million naira in PAYE taxes to the LASG this year alone! And someone will say Iam not entitled to a good road as the ONLY amenity govt provides for me?! Fashola cannot have it both ways, he either collects TAXES or TOLLS but not both of them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / Sowore Celebrates His Mother, Esther, On Her Birthday (Photo) / Jibrin: NNPP/LP Alliance Is South-East's Best Chance Of Producing President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.