Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada (21337 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Zahra Buhari Becomes Laughing Stock On Twitter, See Why. [photos] / PDP Has Made Ribadu A Laughing Stock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by texazzpete(m): 3:29pm On Dec 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

Used and refurbished are 2 different things

Refurbished means updated to perform like New.

The only issue here is the fact that people are as usual very ignorant and are running their mouth about what they know nothing about.

These are the facts,

1. The company handling the project sourced the trains from Canada and Fashola went to Canada to make sure the Company is bringing in good and safe trains to Lagos and after seeing the trains and in what shape they'll be before getting shipped to Lagos, he gave the go ahead.

2. There is a huge difference between used and refurbished.

3. These are refurbished trains retrofitted to function like new trains with even better modifications than when they were new off the plant.

We are looking at almost new and better trains by the time they get to Lagos. Even better than when they were first built.

I don't know why it's so hard for many of you to stop being intellectually lazy, do a little digging at least to educate yourself and don't stop with just the need to do the usual pointless and uneducated criticism routine.

There's got to be other good qualities in you people other than the same uneducated ramblings like goats.

I have no idea why you're talking about 'refurbished' here.
The article in the Toronto news states clearly that the Toronto Transport Company is not making any effort to refurbish these cars. They will be sold 'as is' to Eko Rail.

ekt_bear:

At those who are suggesting the purchase of new cars.

Wouldn't this raise the price of fare on the train beyond that of your typical Lagosian?

It simply is unrealistic to suggest this.

Why is the assumption there that the project must make back the sunk capital as soon as possible? Why must the prices soar if new cars were purchased? Considering the population of Lagos State, it is very likely that these cars will experience greater stress in their operations here. So why purchase train cars that will require much more maintenance and have much shorter lifespan than new cars?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by manny4life(m): 3:30pm On Dec 25, 2011
@Ak47mann,

Lol, you are not good, ahh, that is locomotive or maybe some archaic locos. grin grin grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 3:31pm On Dec 25, 2011
yaribas are too back ward,this is why a white man will believe they are better than you cool cool
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 3:32pm On Dec 25, 2011
manny4life:

@Ak47mann,

Lol, you are not good, ahh, that is locomotive or maybe some archaic locos. grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy locomotive/speed trains
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by manny4life(m): 3:39pm On Dec 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

At those who are suggesting the purchase of new cars.

Wouldn't this raise the price of fare on the train beyond that of your typical Lagosian?

It simply is unrealistic to suggest this.

NO it wouldn't not if load factor by the hr is achieved. Lagos estimate to carry 1.8million passengers daily, almost 2.5x that in the DC area, that's a lot of people and "refurbished" 30year old trains won't cut it.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Basseti: 3:41pm On Dec 25, 2011
@ Eko ile

U are making a big hoopla about my use (or misuse) of used as opposed to refurbished.

I read the article and those vehicles are 30 yrs old. Refurbished or not, what do you call a vehicle that has been in operation for at least two decades?  

A used appliance can be refurbished and retro fitted but that does not mean its not used. There is a reason why it goes for a significantly lower rate than brand new ones.

I still hail Fashola. I am not really concerned that he is buying used vehicles. Thats normal. As long as they are safe, thats a step in the right direction.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by sheyguy: 3:42pm On Dec 25, 2011
There is nothing bad in it, It is called some New old-train.
The same way Okrika clothe is better than unclothedness thats how used-train is to treking. Most of these pple crying already use tokunbo cars except someone is trying to make fun of Lagos in reference to the train being purchased in the east (ENUGU)then i see no basis for complain here.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Basseti: 3:46pm On Dec 25, 2011
texazzpete:

Why is the assumption there that the project must make back the sunk capital as soon as possible? Why must the prices soar if new cars were purchased?

I figured that the problem is the immediate need to raise the amount of money needed to purchase new cars. I dont know if Lagos has the funds to go into such a capital intensive project without emptying the coffers of the state treasury.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Obalende: 3:54pm On Dec 25, 2011
i ride these old trains everyday. they are the worst. lagosians be prepared for hearing problems. i hv used nyc and london uk transits for reference and they r a lot safer sound wise. when the ttcs are stopping, they screech, creek and make very very high pitched noises that can lead to commutter stress and hearing loss over the long run.

I find myself wearing earplugs when riding them and trust me its not pleasant.

But on the positive side they still move from point A to B.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Dec 25, 2011
Basseti:

@ Eko ile
U are making a big hoopla about my use (or misuse) of used as opposed to refurbished.
I read the article and those vehicles are 30 yrs old. Refurbished or not, what do you call a vehicle that has been in operation for at least two decades?  
A used appliance can be refurbished and retro fitted but that does not mean its not used. There is a reason why it goes for a significantly lower rate than brand new ones.
I still hail Fashola. I am not really concerned that he is buying used vehicles. Thats normal. As long as they are safe, thats a step in the right direction.

You are right to apply the word "used", matter of fact, given that we are talking of 30-year old units that had already been condemned as SCRAP. I am not sure if you have been to salvage centers but when something is condemned as scrap, used is being too generous. Just across in the other state, you will find a number of people who use these 'scrap' cars as houses. The minute you get a look at these units, you know that they have gotten serious use.

I don't know why the word REFURBISHED keeps coming up but these 30 year old cars where definitely not REFURBISHED cars when purchased. The State purchased 'scrap' units and then proceeded to spend extra to 'refurb' them - That is what the article says.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 4:54pm On Dec 25, 2011
Basseti:

@ Eko ile

Obviously, you don't know the difference between both words.

Used is used, refurbished means restore to perform like new.

When the train gets to Lagos, they'll be like new trains with updated amenities than when they were first built with almost full life span.

Your 30 years rubbish means nothing after restoration to produce another 30 years with even better facilities.

Get off the blind and close minded argument and absurdities and deal with the obvious realities and outcome.

The outcome is almost new trains with better upgrades by the best folks in the business,

World class experts in the business are monitoring this project, not some ignorant folks on NL that can not even reason beyond the word use. It's like you read used and your brain just got stagnant at USED.

There's always 2 sides to every stories, your mind stopped one side. It's call intellectual laziness and deceit.

I'll listen to the experts in the business before paying a second attention laymen and ignorant folks on NL with zero idea about even the basics.

used
   [yoozd or, for 4, yoost] Show IPA
adjective
previously used or owned; secondhand: a used car.
showing wear or being worn out.
employed for a purpose; utilized.

refurbish [riːˈfɜːbɪʃ]
vb
(tr) to make neat, clean, or complete, as by renovating, re-equipping, or restoring
refurbishing , refurbishment n

Read the article below to further educate yourself.

As the electric-powered cars become surplus and are pulled offline in Toronto, they will be individually trucked to the United States for rebuilding by a team of world-class rail engineers. The cars will also undergo track-width (or “gauge”) conversion and interior refurbishment before being shipped to Lagos.

Each of the TTC cars come equipped with air-conditioning, automatic sliding doors, solid-state traction control, energy saving regenerative braking, and a wide range of modern safety features and amenities. Once equipped with a state-of-the-art, GPS-based train control system made by General Electric, Eko Rail’s trains will provide faster, safer, cheaper and more reliable transportation for Lagosians.

Eko Rail is entering into an innovative public-private partnership with the government of Lagos State to equip, operate and maintain the Blue Line for 25 years. Negotiations are being finalised and a concession agreement is expected to be signed in the near future. Lagos State has already started to make significant progress with building the rail tracks and stations. Eko Rail is utilising URS Scott Wilson, one of the world’s leading railway infrastructure consultancies, to ensure that the infrastructure is built to global standards.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5743824-146/eko_rails_trains_begin_journey_to.csp

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 4:59pm On Dec 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You are right to apply the word "used", matter of fact, given that we are talking of 30-year old units that had already been condemned as SCRAP. I am not sure if you have been to salvage centers but when something is condemned as scrap, used is being too generous. Just across in the other state, you will find a number of people who use these 'scrap' cars as houses. The minute you get a look at these units, you know that they have gotten serious use.

I don't know why the word REFURBISHED keeps coming up but these 30 year old cars where definitely not REFURBISHED cars when purchased. The State purchased 'scrap' units and then proceeded to spend extra to 'refurb' them - That is what the article says.

Is it a crime or even wrong to buy used products and refurbish it up to standard?

What is your point? What is killing you about the word used?

Are Lagosians getting used trains or refurbished trains restored and upgraded to function like new with better facilities than even when they were first built?

What is killing you for real?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Basseti: 5:03pm On Dec 25, 2011

I will ignore all ur invectives and just stick to the issue.

Like i posed before, refurbished or not, what do you call an appliance that has been in operation for two decades?

I applied the term "used" cos the article stated explicitly that the vehicle has been in operation for at least two decades. Now if the Lagos Govt wants to buy it and restore it, how does that change the fact that it was a USED vehicle that was refurbished?

Unless if you are making money off insulting people, I dont know why you should blow off ur thermostat attacking someone online that suggests that a vehicle that is 30 yr old is used?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Basseti: 5:06pm On Dec 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

Is it a crime or even wrong to buy used products and[b] refurbish [/b]it up to standard?

Noone is saying thats a crime. Like I stated before, I dont have an issue with that.

But how come u use the word "used" and when I do , I get sent dictionary definitions? undecided
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by blingg: 5:07pm On Dec 25, 2011
BRF is laundering money through his very good friend and business associate that lives in canada! just an easy route for them to launder money! It is a well known fact that the canadian government encourages heavy investment in their country, these two men are capitalising on this to stash money away! Lets not be fooled, newer trains for almost the same amount could have been sourced from asia! BRF should stop deceiving us! he is a thieving man like jagaban!
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On Dec 25, 2011
Used i.e AS-IS , Scrap, buyer beware . . . .  etc.

Refurbished . . .  i.e re-manufactured, cleaned, guaranteed to work for a period, and tested -- (not necessarily by original manufacturer)
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 25, 2011
3 questions we ought to ask ourselves;

1. Is it safe

2. Can we easily maintain it with our existing man-power and technology?

3. Is it cost-effective?

This is the first time we will be using this technology in Lagos and I see no reason why we can't start small. I reckon we can still get 5-10 years out of it.

Let me give an analogy. ' If you teaching your kid how to drive, and you have the option to teach him/her with your most expensive or least expensive car, which would you teach with'?

Let's get used to it first, then we can order for much more expensive and newer ones in the future.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Genius100: 6:13pm On Dec 25, 2011
texazzpete:

I have no idea why you're talking about 'refurbished' here.
The article in the Toronto news states clearly that the Toronto Transport Company is not making any effort to refurbish these cars. They will be sold 'as is' to Eko Rail.

Why is the assumption there that the project must make back the sunk capital as soon as possible? Why must the prices soar if new cars were purchased? Considering the population of Lagos State, it is very likely that these cars will experience greater stress in their operations here. So why purchase train cars that will require much more maintenance and have much shorter lifespan than new cars?

Did you read the article? The article  clearly stated that the trains are easier to maintain than the new ones which is why it is appropriate for Lagos. Second, what is wrong with the train being 30 years old? If the useful life of the train is 50 years for instance, what is wrong with purchasing a 30 year old train. Obviously the same 30 year old train was still being used until recently in Canada, a well developed country. Unless you guys have any evidence that the train was a piece of sh-it, STFU. The article said Canada is getting rid of the train for capacity reasons not because they malfunctioned.

Of all the internet forum I've been to, Nairaland has the greatest collection of individuals with very low IQs,
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by stpat1(m): 6:42pm On Dec 25, 2011
I wonder why sum ppl lk kobo junkie who's talkin like an uneducated literate man. Trains are not stuffs that just go bad off because of a few yrs, they are only changed cos of the terrain in toronto, do u expect the govnr to buy brand new coaches and run them on where? Do we av the staedy electricity and technology on ground to run modern rail system on? I dont want to go ranting on this but I expect u to circumspect the situation on ground before making regressive comments
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by koruji(m): 6:45pm On Dec 25, 2011
Exactly. They need to read here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-832426.0.html#msg9833344

stpat1:

I wonder why sum ppl lk kobo junkie who's talkin like an uneducated literate man. Trains are not stuffs that just go bad off because of a few yrs, they are only changed cos of the terrain in toronto, do u expect the govnr to buy brand new coaches and run them on where? Do we av the staedy electricity and technology on ground to run modern rail system on? I dont want to go ranting on this but I expect u to circumspect the situation on ground before making regressive comments

Kobojunkie:

Refurbished . . .  i.e re-manufactured, cleaned, guaranteed to work for a period, and tested -- (not necessarily by original manufacturer)

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by FILEBE(m): 6:56pm On Dec 25, 2011
Genius100:

Did you read the article? The article clearly stated that the trains are easier to maintain than the new ones which is why it is appropriate for Lagos. Second, what is wrong with the train being 30 years old? If the useful life of the train is 50 years for instance, what is wrong with purchasing a 30 year old train. Obviously the same 30 year old train was still being used until recently in Canada, a well developed country. Unless you guys have any evidence that the train was a piece of sh-it, STFU. The article said Canada is getting rid of the train for capacity reasons not because they malfunctioned.

[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]Of all the internet forum I've been to, Nairaland has the greatrest collection of individuals with very low IQs,[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

yeh! see wahing! big insult!
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 7:01pm On Dec 25, 2011
Basseti:

I will ignore all your invectives and just stick to the issue.

Like i posed before, refurbished or not, what do you call an appliance that has been in operation for two decades?

I applied the term "used" cos the article stated explicitly that the vehicle has been in operation for at least two decades. Now if the Lagos Govt wants to buy it and restore it, how does that change the fact that it was a USED vehicle that was refurbished?

Unless if you are making money off insulting people, I dont know why you should blow off your thermostat attacking someone online that suggests that a vehicle that is 30 yr old is used?

To start with, I did not insult you so stop crying like a baby.

Ignorance is defined as lack of knowledge and you've adequately displayed in this thread that you lack knowledge abut the same issue you.  

Now let us talk about the issue and leave the irrelevancies.

First I'll point out your ignorance (Lack of knowledge)

You said

1) Did he know he would have gotten the vehicles at a much cheaper price? If he had done enough research, he might have gotten those stuff for real cheap especially if they are going to scrap anyways.

But Fashola did not purchase the trains, the company in charge of the project purchased the trains, Fashola as the governor of Lagos state and doing his duty to look out for Lagosians did not sit in Lagos wating for some used trains to be imposed on Lagosians by the company so he  went to Canada to inform himself about what Lagosians are getting before giving the go ahead. It's called prudence in case you don't know.

He looked at the trains and the plans laid down by the folks involved including the eventual outcome of the trains when they get to Lagos.

2) Since this is a state thing, does he have a long term plan for lagos transit and how does this short term move fit into the general picture. Simply put, how long does he think that those vehicles will last on the road before the transit system start raising enough money to gradually replace these vehicles with newer models.

Obviously, you again displayed lack of knowledge about this issue. This has nothing to do with Fashola.This is a private investment and private investors are in business to make money and how are they going to make money by investing their money on junk that wont work or serve their interest which is to make money.

They've recruited the best folks in the world to manage this project and make sure everything is on the up and up, this is what we expect from our leaders and the people we ask to build infrastructures in our country, we expect them to go to every length and secure the best brains on our behalf and this is one project that's doing just that.

Again, whose judgement do you think is the best? You and your lack of knowledge or any inside info about this project or the experts handling the project or the experts handling the project?

I think you know the answer and you'll do the same thing, you'll go with the experts, at least that's if you a honest with yourself.

Btw, don't tell me you don't know the difference between USED and REFURBISHED.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 7:12pm On Dec 25, 2011
Basseti:

Noone is saying thats a crime. Like I stated before, I dont have an issue with that.

But how come u use the word "used" and when I do , I get sent dictionary definitions? undecided

Next time, before asking other people to do their research, you need to do yours first.

I used the word USED to highlight the fact that you lack knowledge about the project and the fact that you don't know the difference between used and refurbished.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Dec 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Dec 25, 2011
stpat1:

I would like to call on you to take your own advice there. Rather than posting like the unEducated, illiterate you truly are, you might want start changing some of that by spending some time doing good research before posting. Google even offers you free rescue there.

What the frell has TERRAIN to do with trains the run back and forth the city, most 24hrs a day? Worse, you call 30 years of use a FEW YEARS OF USE? I am not sure if you have ridden on a train before to make that statement, let alone a commuter train. 
Dude, better get back on your medicine there. 

That you are told the cars had to be shipped to a location in the US for work on there ought to have told you of the condition of those things. They are called scrap lot for pete's sake, not resell lot. Jeeazzz!! grow a brain why don't you!
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by shoboy9: 8:06pm On Dec 25, 2011
Very poor. 30yr old train isn't fairly used anymore. Its scrap and a danger to lives, property and the environment. BRF has no excuse fir this except blind gluttony.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by iluvnaija: 8:06pm On Dec 25, 2011
Has any nigerian govt bought tokunbor official cars? this really goes to show they dont care about us. second hand train after two months we will hear another news train broke down on high way, passengers are stranded.

Na God go purnish nigerian politicians.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by blingg: 8:10pm On Dec 25, 2011
BRF is laundering money through his very good friend and business associate that lives in canada! just an easy route for them to launder money! It is a well known fact that the canadian government encourages heavy investment in their country, these two men are capitalising on this to stash money away! Lets not be fooled, newer trains for almost the same amount could have been sourced from asia! BRF should stop deceiving us! he is a thieving man like jagaban!
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 8:13pm On Dec 25, 2011
iluvnaija:

Has any nigerian govt bought tokunbor official cars? this really goes to show they dont care about us. second hand train after two months we will hear another news train broke down on high way, passengers are stranded.

I tried to go down this route earlier when someone came up with the assumption that in Africa ALL THINGS ARE BOUGHT TOKUNBO. Na the same Nigeria we dey hear of FLEET OF NEW CARS ooo. But when asked why we can't even fathom purchasing of new cars, the silly set of people come up with the lame claim that there is no money. No be the same Lagos dash chiefs ALL AROUND LAGOS with 43 million, or so worth of cars?  When asked why, someone came up with some HOGWASH about how Lagos constitution(LORD KNOWS WHERE THIS STUPIDITY WAS MANUFACTURED) stipulates that the Lagos state Government spend millions of tax payer money on purchasing gifts for these Local chiefs and the lot.

Anyways, I think used is not bad as long as we are not loosing money in the end. I am not entirely sure why this one is attempting to sell this off as refurbished now. Scratch that, I am sure I know why. ROFL
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 8:15pm On Dec 25, 2011
iluvnaija:

shoboy9:

Very poor. 30yr old train isn't fairly used anymore. Its scrap and a danger to lives, property and the environment. BRF has no excuse fir this except blind gluttony.

The quote below applies to you 2.

Genius100:

Of all the internet forum I've been to, Nairaland has the greatest collection of individuals with very low IQs,

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by KDULAR: 8:18pm On Dec 25, 2011
"Players are gonna play , haters are gonna hate". I read the article and there was no mention of scraps. the company is changing on basis of CAPACITY and not scrappy.

I see no reason why Lagos state Govt will not  buy and put into ops these coaches as long as safety , services and profits are assured from the  comissioning of these cars. I think we have to start from somewhere  mad it 's not a bad one at that.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 8:23pm On Dec 25, 2011
[size=13pt]CORRECTION: When sold for scrap, TTC cars fetch up to $1,500 each, not $15,000, as this story originally stated. The correction has been made. [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Atiku’s Son Pays N1m Dowry For Ex-gov’s Daughter / APC Planning To Rig Election In North - Musiliu Obanikoro / Idol Worshiping Faithfuls Are The Ones Delaying Biafra From Materialising - Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.