Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,240 members, 7,957,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:03 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1628) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1723476 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1625) (1626) (1627) (1628) (1629) (1630) (1631) ... (2277) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 7:54am On Oct 22, 2020
Have had troubles sleeping the last two nights. That Lekki Toll Gate massacre broke me.

How can the army kill people who were kneeling down singing the national anthem while waving the Nigerian flag in darkness?

This single piece of madness may have changed the course of Nigeria as we know it. Unless a miracle happens.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 8:54am On Oct 22, 2020
A40:

The koko is the Rockets proved they were beatable. They didn't pull it off but any team that can push you to 7 games and be leading you by double digits at halftime can definitely beat you.

That's neither here nor there

The Heat had better depth and for that era the Heat had far and away the best roster in the league

Na wa oh. You people act like Phil Jackson never lost a series. Wasn't he coach when Dallas swept them? Didn't he lose to Detroit with Kobe, Shaq, Payton and Malone

The first finals LeBron was passive and terrible. He was the 3rd best scorer on his team and did not play even passable defense on Jason Terry

The last Finals Wade struggled but the entire team lacked the will to play defense. And trust me the rest of the league were not sympathizing with a team that had Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen as secondary options

LeNomad displayed some of the most fantastic statpaddin you will ever see in that 2014 Finals as well. Almost 40% of his buckets came with the Heat down by 15 points or more grin grin

I think between Games 3-5 he scored 51 points with the Heat down by 15 or more grin

The warriors at their best just seems unbeatable. And if they were to be beaten, the other team needed to be twice as good as they usually are.

I agree, heat had a far deeper roster thru those years.

Phil Jackson and the Lakers did above expectations by winning 2 years straight championships.
That laker team wasn't star studded.

The Lakers team that added Payton and Malone had less chemistry/fire than before their arrivals.

All the same, Dynasties don't last Forever.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:54am On Oct 22, 2020
donlittle25:
omo he hot o, and I been they contemplate make I stay Lagos for one more week. Thank God say I japa. See the killing yesterday, I no believe am at all.
Ohh you been dey around?

Your timing na God save you bro. All these killings dey go normal. Only say social media dey carry am now
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 10:28am On Oct 22, 2020
A40:
Ohh you been dey around?

Your timing na God save you bro. All these killings dey go normal. Only say social media dey carry am now
Bruh I been they around o. Something just they tell me make I Comot na him I Carry my pangolo.

I see young guys when this protest start they yarn rubbish say them no be their papa. The last generation na coward. Them no go gree. Na their papa spoil this country. I just they look them.

This country has a way of breaking your spirit and soul. It's what was done to our parents. I am sure they can see that now. Some of them after that shoot out I am sure have started processing visa to leave. The little democracy we they enjoy, our parents went through hell for us to get it.

Naija has a way of breaking your spirit and will, and what happened broke a lot of will. It was sad to see
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:37am On Oct 22, 2020
donlittle25:
Bruh I been they around o. Something just they tell me make I Comot na him I Carry my pangolo.

I see young guys when this protest start they yarn rubbish say them no be their papa. The last generation na coward. Them no go gree. Na their papa spoil this country. I just they look them.

This country has a way of breaking your spirit and soul. It's what was done to our parents. I am sure they can see that now. Some of them after that shoot out I am sure have started processing visa to leave. The little democracy we they enjoy, our parents went through hell for us to get it.

Naija has a way of breaking your spirit and will, and what happened broke a lot of will. It was sad to see
Lmaoooo lucky you.

I don't think the older generation did enough to fix things, the way they met Nigeria is not how they are leaving it for us. Especially anyone upwards of 60. That is the bitter truth. They did not do a good job

No country can defeat a people ready to fight. The worst case scenario is that it becomes a wasteland. The truth is for a revolution to succeed there has to be sufficient people willing to die. Without that no revolution can happen. What has happened thus far is not enough to break the will of people that were originally dead set on fighting and are aware of the consequences

More importantly there is need for the revolution to be mental. It doesn't have to be violent. But without the revolution happening mentally you're just going to the streets to waste your time

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2020
nairamaniac:

The warriors at their best just seems unbeatable. And if they were to be beaten, the other team needed to be twice as good as they usually are.
I don't believe they were unbeatable but that's just me. I saw a team that was dragged to 7 games and a half time deficit by James Harden and CP3 (who missed the final two games) I struggle to believe that there is no team in the history of basketball that would have beaten them if the Rockets were able to do that. I'm sorry I don't buy it

nairamaniac:

I agree, heat had a far deeper roster thru those years.
Good. Progress

nairamaniac:

Phil Jackson and the Lakers did above expectations by winning 2 years straight championships.
That laker team wasn't star studded.
The Lakers team that added Payton and Malone had less chemistry/fire than before their arrivals.

All the same, Dynasties don't last Forever.

But don't bring in the Phil Jackson factor like he was an unbeatable coach. He lost series as the favorites especially with the Lakers

The addition of Payton and Malone or lack of chemistry were not a factor for me. That team ran through the West. The truth is Kobe played poorly and Phil Jackson did not adjust or have any answers for Larry Brown's defense and coaching after winning Game 1
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2020
A40:
Lmaoooo lucky you.

I don't think the older generation did enough to fix things, the way they met Nigeria is not how they are leaving it for us. Especially anyone upwards of 60. That is the bitter truth. They did not do a good job

No country can defeat a people ready to fight. The worst case scenario is that it becomes a wasteland. The truth is for a revolution to succeed there has to be sufficient people willing to die. Without that no revolution can happen. What has happened thus far is not enough to break the will of people that were originally dead set on fighting and are aware of the consequences

More importantly there is need for the revolution to be mental. It doesn't have to be violent. But without the revolution happening mentally you're just going to the streets to waste your time

Bro what i saw in the first 12 days made me believe but in the last 2 days, it damaged my spirit not going to lie. That was too much, worse is everyone denying it.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:12pm On Oct 22, 2020
Folks mad about the latest 2K ratings grin
KD and Curry are fortunate to be 95

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:14pm On Oct 22, 2020
Jimmy Buckets getting that love he deserves. Dame too. Legit superstars.

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:10pm On Oct 23, 2020
steady986:

It's just the first of a three peat. You heard it here first.

I know Lebron looks like he's in good physical shape, but they will need to manage load manage him from here on out. Real load management, as in old Tim Duncan style, not the nonsense Kawhi was doing. The good thing is his bball IQ is still league highest, his jumpshot is getting more reliable and he is learning how to mentally take over games at will, like Kobe used to. Lakers will need another pure shooter to keep up with Warriors next year.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:27pm On Oct 23, 2020
A40:
Lmaoooo lucky you.

I beg to disagree Baba - taking out the IBB/Abacha combo and moving to an OBJ democracy was not a small feat for that generation. Even driving past SSS HQ back then, you couldn't even look at the building, that was the level of fear. Back then even big men were not exempt - if you were non-military, anything can happen.

Today's youths have cell phones, which allowed them to communicate and we can see whats happening real time. By the time govt realized what was happening, it was too late to stop them. Back then, communication was via newspapers and TV, which govt could clamp down on, then use divide and conquer to tribalize everything.

Internet has also been huge - now youth can see what obtains in other countries. Even when you try to go to fellow African nations and you see how they treat your passport, you return home with even more anger. Back then, most of us didnt really know how far behind we were.

The biggest one that no one is talking about is the covid lockdown. It had the same effect in the states - restricting movement for that long allowed people time to stop being distracted and focus

If there were cell phones at the june 12 riots, things woulda been different, most likely Nigeria would not exist.

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by samdunzo: 4:08pm On Oct 23, 2020
birdman:

I beg to disagree Baba - taking out the IBB/Abacha combo and moving to an OBJ democracy was not a small feat for that generation. Even driving past SSS HQ back then, you couldn't even look at the building, that was the level of fear. Back then even big men were not exempt - if you were non-military, anything can happen.

Today's youths have cell phones, which allowed them to communicate and we can see whats happening real time. By the time govt realized what was happening, it was too late to stop them. Back then, communication was via newspapers and TV, which govt could clamp down on, then use divide and conquer to tribalize everything.

Internet has also been huge - now youth can see what obtains in other countries. Even when you try to go to fellow African nations and you see how they treat your passport, you return home with even more anger. Back then, most of us didnt really know how far behind we were.

The biggest one that no one is talking about is the covid lockdown. It had the same effect in the states - restricting movement for that long allowed people time to stop being distracted and focus

If there were cell phones at the june 12 riots, things woulda been different, most likely Nigeria would not exist.

This is what I've been thinking. People, especially those in developed countries, really take technology like phones for granted. In places like Nigeria, you have a whole generation that came of age in the tech boom era. Obviously, they see how their mates are living in civilized climes. It was only a matter of time before they started demanding for the same here

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:33pm On Oct 23, 2020
steady986:

Being a coward that's alive is better than being dead.
It's crazy man.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
A40:
Omo. I told everyone I knew after seeing what happened in Orile to stay in for the curfew especially for day 1 because anybody they caught that first day go too suffer. Even I didn't anticipate the murderous plans this government had
I knew shit was about to go down when they mentioned come guys came to remove cameras. I just didn't think the government would commit such atrocity in 2020. It's crazy.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
Back to Basketball. Omo, say what you want. LeBron lived up to the hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nC9z57MuaI

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2020
SmooshCHN:
Back to Basketball. Omo, say what you want. LeBron lived up to the hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nC9z57MuaI

Truth is, no one remotely questions the fact that he has lived up to the hype. Some people have selective interpretations when they read about him, especially his supporters. The bulk of the argument surrounding LeBuM today is where he stands on the list of All Timers list from 3rd to 6th.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 8:54pm On Oct 23, 2020
Why you dey look for trouble, en? cheesy

Roland17:

Truth is, no one remotely questions the fact that he has lived up to the hype. Some people have selective interpretations when they read about him, especially his supporters. The bulk of the argument surrounding LeBuM today is where he stands on the list of All Timers list from 3rd to 6th.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
benji93:
Why you dey look for trouble, en? cheesy

Na weekend we dey enter, I get small-time.. grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 9:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
This hypothetical sutuation is quite interesting. Back in 2018 It would have been hard to argue against it. But fast forward to their loss to the same golden state side the year after, I cannot but look back and say that, they would have found a way to bottle it even with Chris Paul. Unless ofcourse you wanna argue that GSW's system without KD was just better at beating the Rockets.
A40:
I disagree. A healthy Chris Paul would have led the Rockets past Golden State in 2018. The Warriors were down at halftime in Game 7 by double digits and if they had any player with any kind of midrange game they beat the Warriors

It took a CP3 injury and Rockets missing 27 consecutive missed 3's for Golden State to advance. They were not unbeatable. The Rockets completely shat the bed in the second half. James Harden choked shooting 12/29

That team was supposed to win a 4peat. Have you forgotten what they said at their unveiling? There was a palpable fear that we were seeing a dynasty that had never existed in league history.
It was easy and it was a question of how many rings they would win not if they would make 4 Finals. You had Wade, Bosh, Battier on defense, Mike Miller off the bench then they added Ray Allen, added Rashad Lewis and other role players. That team was super loaded and the league should never have stood a chance

The Heat's strengths obviously LeNomad was their best player but they had a strong bench, they also had a historically great defense. I still maintain that that Heat team should have won 3 or 4 rings in a row
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2020
Roland17:

You might be up to something. Care to expatiate? grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 10:25pm On Oct 23, 2020
SmooshCHN:
You might be up to something. Care to expatiate? grin

I am avoiding the urge!

I leave that to the coalition of awon selective interpreters grin grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2020
Roland17:

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by nairamaniac: 10:48am On Oct 24, 2020
A40:

I don't believe they were unbeatable but that's just me. I saw a team that was dragged to 7 games and a half time deficit by James Harden and CP3 (who missed the final two games) I struggle to believe that there is no team in the history of basketball that would have beaten them if the Rockets were able to do that. I'm sorry I don't buy it

But don't bring in the Phil Jackson factor like he was an unbeatable coach. He lost series as the favorites especially with the Lakers

The addition of Payton and Malone or lack of chemistry were not a factor for me. That team ran through the West. The truth is Kobe played poorly and Phil Jackson did not adjust or have any answers for Larry Brown's defense and coaching after winning Game 1

End of the day, no dynasty last forever.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 11:06am On Oct 24, 2020
aliondo:

E shock you? grin
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:58pm On Oct 24, 2020
benji93:
This hypothetical sutuation is quite interesting. Back in 2018 It would have been hard to argue against it. But fast forward to their loss to the same golden state side the year after, I cannot but look back and say that, they would have found a way to bottle it even with Chris Paul. Unless ofcourse you wanna argue that GSW's system without KD was just better at beating the Rockets.
Good you said back in 2018, because the Rockets of 2018 and 2019 were not the same thing. Same way the Spurs of 2014 were not the same as the Spurs of 2015

They won 12 fewer games. That's a sharp drop
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:03pm On Oct 24, 2020
donlittle25:
Bro what i saw in the first 12 days made me believe but in the last 2 days, it damaged my spirit not going to lie. That was too much, worse is everyone denying it.
Here's the thing. Today's youths we got a little too cocky even trolling the older ones instead of picking their brains and finding out what they did right or wrong

Government don't play fair and people didn't realize this till it was late. Maybe we were fooled because this was supposed to be a 'democracy'

Any protest or active upheaval against the state people go die. That's the truth but in this case it was annoying to me that the government and army was too cowardly to even admit they were responsible
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:07pm On Oct 24, 2020
SmooshCHN:
I knew shit was about to go down when they mentioned come guys came to remove cameras. I just didn't think the government would commit such atrocity in 2020. It's crazy.
The single annoying thing for me was the fact that this government went and attacked soft targets. The softest of targets. This is equivalent of Boko Haram raiding a crèche and going to kill babies. That Lekki ground wey peaceful die.

I don't know if I would ever look at our Army the same. Any army capable of murdering it's citizens on their own soil is not fit for purpose
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:21pm On Oct 24, 2020
birdman:

Did they really take them out? Let's just thank God Abacha died because our matter for worse pass Cameroon. Have you forgotten all the 5 political parties had nominated Abacha as their sole presidential candidate

birdman:

Of course cellphones and technology make things easier but realize too that it makes it easier for Government people to also monitor and feel the pulse of the people. It manifested in these protests too, they were able to infiltrate the system, spread misinformation and plant doubts in the mind of the fencists

birdman:

Nigeria is a country that has long had an overbloated image of its importance in the international community. Nobody rate us like that again. We are a laughing stock

People were frustrated, schools on strike, underpaid and under utilized youth. And people are hungry. Guyyy people dey H

I believe whether cell phones existed or not it's still going to boil down to the will of people. How far were they willing to take this fight.

Were we ready to go the Sudan route? Because that was what it was going to take

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 10:05pm On Oct 24, 2020
A40:
Lmaoooo lucky you.

Words on the marble!
Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 10:19pm On Oct 24, 2020
Was on the Lekki Toll Gate ground on 19.10.20, a night before the massacre. I sensed danger on 20.10.20. Didn't go anywhere.

Was shocked around 6:30 pm when a female neighbour told me she saw protesters still there that evening after the army had moved in, on her way back from work.

I feared for there safety.

DJ Switch's Instagram live and the Twitter updates of killings broke me that Tuesday, 20.10.20. I was stunned. Speechless.

My trauma quickly turned into anger as Government and an armada of paid hacks invaded the internet and started denying the killings, sowing doubts and calling it fake news. I just shut down. I had had enough.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:38pm On Oct 24, 2020
https://twitter.com/OlayinkaLere/status/1319988081638998019?s=19

Lol Soldiers telling people to loot peacefully grin grin

Fire fire in our country country give me plenty water make I quench the fire
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 12:01am On Oct 25, 2020
A40:
https://twitter.com/OlayinkaLere/status/1319988081638998019?s=19

Lol Soldiers telling people to loot peacefully grin grin

Fire fire in our country country give me plenty water make I quench the fire
Bro, the truth is we are sitting on a ticking time bomb. If care is not taken in the next few weeks, it will be chaos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1625) (1626) (1627) (1628) (1629) (1630) (1631) ... (2277) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.