Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (512) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1638468 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 9:56pm On May 13, 2017
SagePAUL:
is there a group?
like a whatsapp or FB group for nba discussions?
No. Discussions are done here

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:08am On May 14, 2017
Manutd19:

Why because I say the truth? You love post of people saying Cavs wouldn't dominate in playoff cos of their regular season short struggle?
What have I said so far that disgusts you?
Lol.... Truth is this is NBA and no team can the east is challenging the Cavs.

Warriors fans makes it look like they are facing any challenge as well. Mtcheww

I doubt if anyone here said the cavs would struggle, and it was most likely a joke by anyone on here who said that. Anyone that watches basketball will know a lebron james led team since 2011 scrolls through the eastern conference, albeit a little bit tough when the pacers came along for two years and is guaranteed a spot in the Nba finals. So i no understand your serenreren sometimes.

On your second sentence, i dont understand.

On your third statement, you are right, but my hatred for lebron(Basketball wise) is greater than my disdain for any warriors fan or players. My beef with lebum is personal. I am a dallas fan, and if you don dey watch ball tey tey, you go understand why
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 1:18pm On May 14, 2017
Honestly, people don’t hate Russell Westbrook. However, Russell Westbrook is the classic Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury type player. They are going to put up great stats and look spectacular doing it. With that said, they are going to dominate the ball to the detriment of their team. Hence, none of them ever won titles, which is unfair to say because only so few do. But, one could argue that the Thunder had the most talented team in the league over the past 3–5 years.

If you watch guys like, LeBron and KD play, they generally make the right pass at the right time. They rarely sit with the ball, and dare I say, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble. Part of what makes the Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs (on occasion) so good (outside of talented players) is the way they swing the ball. And by swing the ball, I mean pass at the right time. Heck, go back and watch an old Jordan game when he started winning titles, he was constantly swinging the ball and rarely sat with it. I don’t foresee Russell changing his behavior as a player. I also think that’s a big reason Durant left too. Durant knew that Russell’s behavior wouldn’t change, and that greatly diminished their chances of winning a title/titles together.

Also, you should go back and watch Durant’s MVP season. There was a large swath of games during the early to mid part of that season where Russell was injured. If you watch, you’ll see that Durant was playing point forward (Steve Kerr actually has him doing this some in Golden State), and very effectively too. Often, Durant would bring the ball up the court and pass it within the first eight seconds of the shot clock, usually to a screening/picking Ibaka who would shoot a jumper or keep the ball moving. Basically, Durant was making the right basketball play. Also, after a slow start without the injured, Russell, the Thunder, and more importantly, Durant got rolling. During that stretch, Durant led an OKC team into Miami without Russell and won that game by more than 20 points. Later that season, when a healthy Russell was back in the lineup, Miami came to OKC and blew the Thunder out. While watching that second game between the two teams, it dawned on me that Russell was often not making the right basketball play. Russell was holding the ball too long, taking ill advised shots, and passing to Durant with usually less than eight seconds on the shot clock; when defenders knew he was going to have to shoot. An objective viewer could see that Russell’s playing style affected the Thunder and Durant’s rhythm. Basically, teammates never knew when they were going to get the ball, and Russell seemed to be more interested in stuffing his stats and taking it to the guy defending him.

Now, just because Russell is a stat stuffer, does not mean that he isn’t competitive. I think he may be one of the most competitive athletes I have ever seen. In addition, him and Durant won a lot of games while playing together and advanced deep in the playoffs. With that said, watch Durant and LeBron play. Yes, they have superior talent around them, but they seem to be more interested in the success of their teammates and team than they are with their own numbers. I hope I am wrong about Russell, because he is so explosive and fun to watch, but I don’t see him capable of playing in this fashion that will deliver titles…even if OKC assembles the talent around him to do it.

Comments from quora.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 1:24pm On May 14, 2017
The simple answer is that he is not the best player in the league. He is awfully good, but here is the case against him:

1. His shooting efficiency is around league average. All of the other players who have recently been considered for MVP are substantially above average. Their offensive workloads are not like Westbrook’s, but they are still extremely high.

2.Westbrook averaged 5.6 turnovers per game, and his turnover total was second all-time. (Hilariously, James Harden was first)

3.Westbrook is responsible for the highest share of his team’s offense in NBA history, but that offense only ranks 16th. Even if you think that Westbrook’s teammates are trash, Tracy McGrady’s 2003 Orlando teammates were clearly much worse, and that team ranked 10th in offense. And Westbrook’s teammates aren’t trash: it was only a year ago that Steven Adams was considered one of the best young centers in the NBA, and the Thunder recently gave Adams, Oladipo, and Enes Kanter 20M/year without anyone raising much of a stink over it.

4. Westbrook’s defense vacillates between “OK” and “very bad.” It’s not reasonable to expect someone with his role in the offense to also be a lockdown defender, but this is a major strike against him.

5.There is nothing particularly interesting or important about a triple double. It’s neat, and it speaks to the level of his involvement, but it’s not obvious to me at all why it’s more impressive than any other kind of set of benchmarks.

6. Ask anyone. Hell, even ask yourself. If the space aliens landed and we needed to play their team for the fate of the Earth, are there players you would take over Westbrook? Of course there are. LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Curry, and Kevin Durant at the very least. Probably James Harden and Chris Paul as well.

Voting for Westbrook for MVP is definitely not crazy or wrong. His offensive load is unprecedented (and positive), and his clutch play this season was unbelievable. But it’s definitely not obvious at all that he is the world’s best player.

Comments from quora
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 2:03pm On May 14, 2017
Eruditor:
Honestly, people don’t hate Russell Westbrook. However, Russell Westbrook is the classic Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury type player. They are going to put up great stats and look spectacular doing it. With that said, they are going to dominate the ball to the detriment of their team. Hence, none of them ever won titles, which is unfair to say because only so few do. But, one could argue that the Thunder had the most talented team in the league over the past 3–5 years.

If you watch guys like, LeBron and KD play, they generally make the right pass at the right time. They rarely sit with the ball, and dare I say, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble. Part of what makes the Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs (on occasion) so good (outside of talented players) is the way they swing the ball. And by swing the ball, I mean pass at the right time. Heck, go back and watch an old Jordan game when he started winning titles, he was constantly swinging the ball and rarely sat with it. I don’t foresee Russell changing his behavior as a player. I also think that’s a big reason Durant left too. Durant knew that Russell’s behavior wouldn’t change, and that greatly diminished their chances of winning a title/titles together.

Also, you should go back and watch Durant’s MVP season. There was a large swath of games during the early to mid part of that season where Russell was injured. If you watch, you’ll see that Durant was playing point forward (Steve Kerr actually has him doing this some in Golden State), and very effectively too. Often, Durant would bring the ball up the court and pass it within the first eight seconds of the shot clock, usually to a screening/picking Ibaka who would shoot a jumper or keep the ball moving. Basically, Durant was making the right basketball play. Also, after a slow start without the injured, Russell, the Thunder, and more importantly, Durant got rolling. During that stretch, Durant led an OKC team into Miami without Russell and won that game by more than 20 points. Later that season, when a healthy Russell was back in the lineup, Miami came to OKC and blew the Thunder out. While watching that second game between the two teams, it dawned on me that Russell was often not making the right basketball play. Russell was holding the ball too long, taking ill advised shots, and passing to Durant with usually less than eight seconds on the shot clock; when defenders knew he was going to have to shoot. An objective viewer could see that Russell’s playing style affected the Thunder and Durant’s rhythm. Basically, teammates never knew when they were going to get the ball, and Russell seemed to be more interested in stuffing his stats and taking it to the guy defending him.

Now, just because Russell is a stat stuffer, does not mean that he isn’t competitive. I think he may be one of the most competitive athletes I have ever seen. In addition, him and Durant won a lot of games while playing together and advanced deep in the playoffs. With that said, watch Durant and LeBron play. Yes, they have superior talent around them, but they seem to be more interested in the success of their teammates and team than they are with their own numbers. I hope I am wrong about Russell, because he is so explosive and fun to watch, but I don’t see him capable of playing in this fashion that will deliver titles…even if OKC assembles the talent around him to do it.

Comments from quora.

Am an OKC fan and K.D was my best player but K.D also let us down in last season western conference finals...I think it was all about who was the true leader of the OKC team,who would take the last shots etc and stuffs like that..Now by default,K.D was the leader of the team but Westbrook also has this ego of wanting to feel like he wants the ball most times,he wants to lead the team etc and as such there is bound to be disagreement in the team....Now next season,am rooting for my team (OKC) to get a superstar player that can shoot the ball but if you are a superstar,you have to put into consideration if you will be able to play with westbrook??after all we once had a Kevin Durant...If at all we get a superstar,i want to urge westbrook to distribute the ball more and trust in his team mates more....JUST MY OPINION.....

#THUNDERUP.............

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:06pm On May 14, 2017
See rubbish Green and Curry are playing oh. Ewooo! This is my fear with Mike Brown. Can he make the offensive adjustments necessary when the 3's aren't falling
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 9:09pm On May 14, 2017
16-30.
It is great but Spurs can still blow this lead
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:11pm On May 14, 2017
Green making terrible decisions with the ball. Terrible! The Spurs straight up outmuscling the Warriors atm
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:12pm On May 14, 2017
A40:
See rubbish Green and Curry are playing oh. Ewooo! This is my fear with Mike Brown. Can he make the offensive adjustments necessary when the 3's aren't falling

Baba,

Steve Kerr the head coach did not have alternatives when the money ball failed so M. Brown is not coaching any differently from S. Kerr. The Warriors want to play small ball, Pop counters by bringing size in Lee, Simmon and keeping LA on the court to build the lead.

The Warriors are turning the ball over because of the length, also they are taking advantage of the match up in size, suddenly no one is playing defense beneath the rim for the Warriors as the Spurs are either keeping Curry trapped with Simmons, or LA on Green.

Still very early though.. The Warriors are too good to be deflated.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:17pm On May 14, 2017
A40:
Green making terrible decisions with the ball. Terrible! The Spurs straight up outmuscling the Warriors atm

I desperately need the Warriors against the Cavs, firstly because I want KD to get his ring, and more importantly because the Spurs would struggle against the Cavs.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:19pm On May 14, 2017
Warriors down 25. Lewl
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 9:23pm On May 14, 2017
Mynd44:
16-30.
It is great but Spurs can still blow this lead

Spurs don't blow leads
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 14, 2017
Roland17:

Baba,

Steve Kerr the head coach did not have alternatives when the money ball failed so M. Brown is not coaching any differently from S. Kerr. The Warriors want to play small ball, Pop counters by bringing size in Lee, Simmon and keeping LA on the court to build the lead.

The Warriors are turning the ball over because of the length, also they are taking advantage of the match up in size, suddenly no one is playing defense beneath the rim for the Warriors as the Spurs are either keeping Curry trapped with Simmons, or LA on Green.

Still very early though.. The Warriors are too good to be deflated.
you beat me to it, baba for two years, kerr plan A, plan B, plan C na three ball, wetin mike brown wan change?
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:27pm On May 14, 2017
Donlittle:
you beat me to it, baba for two years, kerr plan A, plan B, plan C na three ball, wetin mike brown wan change?

Oshe..
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 9:27pm On May 14, 2017
A40:
Warriors down 25. Lewl
I tire
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:27pm On May 14, 2017
Roland17:

I desperately need the Warriors against the Cavs, firstly because I want KD to get his ring, and more importantly because the Spurs would struggle against the Cavs.
Warriors won't beat Cavs if they play this nonsense. Plus these Spurs can definitely beat the Cavs. I want Golden State to win but more importantly I want a team that would beat the Cavs
Re: The NBA Begins by Mynd44: 9:28pm On May 14, 2017
Decale:

Spurs don't blow leads
I think I am the biggest Spurs fan on this thread and I think I speak the truth when I say they know how to give heart attacks

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:30pm On May 14, 2017
Mynd44:

I tire

14 Now...
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:31pm On May 14, 2017
Nice hustle play by Steph. E time that inbound pass pa
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:34pm On May 14, 2017
Anyone noticed what I said about defense under the rim? 3 consecutive offensive rebound by the Spurs.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:34pm On May 14, 2017
Lol the Warriors rebounding is pitiful. Gave the Spurs 4 straight attempts

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:36pm On May 14, 2017
A40:
Lol the Warriors rebounding is pitiful. Gave the Spurs 4 straight attempts

This game reminds me of the first time both teams met this season.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:38pm On May 14, 2017
L. Aldridge and AL Horford have played very well for their teams recently.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:38pm On May 14, 2017
32pts in the paint. Just destroying Golden State with the size
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 9:42pm On May 14, 2017
Warriors are drugged, performing a James Harden grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 9:45pm On May 14, 2017
lolawilliams:
Warriors are drugged, performing a James Harden grin

Game 1 really doesn't mean anything.

You of all people should know that
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 14, 2017
Beating these heathens by 20. I am schleep. And KD said Kawhi is not a superstar some years ago, feels like life has hunted him down since he made that statement. grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 14, 2017
Decale:

Game 1 really doesn't mean anything.

You of all people should know that
lol it does not you are right, but you imagine those boys from ohio seeing some weakness in this team right now, ready to exploit it when the time comes.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 14, 2017
Yuck! What's going on?
Warriors should at least put up a fight jhare angry
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 9:47pm On May 14, 2017
LMA showing up recently....looking like the player he was @ Blazers that put him in the conversation of one of the best Power Forwards in the game......

(1) (2) (3) ... (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) ... (2227) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Skrrrrrrr, 5inchdick and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.