Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,525 members, 7,958,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:41 PM

Building A Large Duplex In Enugu - Properties (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Large Duplex In Enugu (63908 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. / Twin Duplex In Aso Rock Villa For Lease In Abuja With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 12:18am On Jan 28, 2012
We keep learning as stuff happens
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by AmAlone: 12:32am On Jan 28, 2012
Bros Spyder, my take is that you have at least two different building you are building together.
To make them one, I think you need to chain them up. Otherwise  in a space of 6 months or so.
you will notice that the building will start to seperate at that joint(because of the rotation of the earth) & because just chalking it will not hold it back.

Note

Again, I don't know how you plan to do the decking, but please dont make same mistake as you did with the german floor.
since you are building this house as a building, let the decking make them one!!!!!

That is the best solution I can offer.

OLUWA CHAMPION!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by caseymoney(m): 4:36am On Jan 28, 2012
Who is the expert here? Spyder880, I wanna believe you are and there must be a structural layout for the ongoing construction. Am alone, has pointed out somethings and I think the house would appreciate it, if you could explain why it's done that way.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 4:59am On Jan 28, 2012
Am alone you really pointed out something,channing of the foundation has to be round,again i don't know whether spyderman has taken expansion joint consideration.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 5:17am On Jan 28, 2012
weldone
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 8:06am On Jan 28, 2012
Nice points guys, wish I saw this when I was at home, this handheld will not allow me see the posted pictures or post some others. Is there some way we can chain the floor on one single level since the floor cannot be on one level due to the slope?

This decking will be on same level, thats why I made sure leveling matters are sorted out on the ground floor level. Thanks for the inputs my people, keep them coming.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by AmAlone: 9:15am On Jan 28, 2012
spyder880:

Nice points guys, wish I saw this when I was at home, this handheld will not allow me see the posted pictures or post some others. Is there some way we can chain the floor on one single level since the floor cannot be on one level due to the slope?

Yes you can/could. When if you check my first pic you would c how.
After raising the backside of the building to the level of the fronside, then you can chain up!!!!

Good news is that the decking will be on same level. Its a very good news my man!!!
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:02am On Jan 28, 2012
^^^^ bros, please read from the first page, see other suggestions and explanations and then we can talk.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 10:56am On Jan 28, 2012
I love to build online, how else can I expose my work to the type of critical analysis which is lacking in most other sites where people do whatever they like because they think the owner is ignorant of safety processes and then build as they like. Since I know people are watching, I have to double check every single step to ensure compliance with existing best practices, I also work with well trained proffesionals and when am in doubt, I call outside help.

If I look at the site am going to build and its above my knowledge, I quickly decline the job and walk away with clean conscience. About this project, I am taking all precautions to check each step. I had to go the extra mile and bury some rods in the german floor where I think the structure might be at risk, some called it wastages but I know what am doing.

Every site is different in its own way, but am still open to more suggestions.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 12:26pm On Jan 28, 2012
You can do your chaninig on top of your dpc,i mean above jaman floor as lay man term
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2012
I had to step out of site and into a cybercafe to see these pictures and the suggestions by my online friends, and I must say I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I  saw the pictures because there was really nothing wrong with this building, in fact I did most of the things they are suggesting. Let me try and recount.

On post number 383 where it was suggested that I do a chaining of the upper German floor, it was done, only from the pillar after the measuring tool on the ground to the last corner pillar. This was done before the German floor was poured and the owner of the house was there to see this.

Its not the practice to hang beams everywhere in a building, and that's why we connect pillars to beams on different levels. The rod, remember is a stabilizing reinforcement and the fact that its not on the same level does not remove the fact that its still the same rod tying the two levels and running upwards. Chaining on a single level has its own disadvantages too, remember when you chain on the same level, a vertical pressure can still break your slab into two, but not in this case, the real reason I decided to step down this floor is to stay closer to the ground and thus avoid high levels which will present higher risks of slab separation.

on the same picture, it is unnecessary to hang beams on the block line because there are a number of structures supporting that wall from behind, maybe I will show that line later today but it might interest you to know that a bar, dug up, set with 3 pillars is supporting that line of blocks from behind , so its not wise to judge a work only from a few online pictures. There is also a flight of steps leading down from the wall to the lower parts of this house, the steps, the bar are holding this wall firmly and NO! I dont need any beams on that line.

Lets go on to post number 385.

You have a point here, and we noted and reinforced the German floor, note also that the straight pillar will tie the 2 chaining works.

However you are wrong on the second arrow you showed to the right of the picture posted on post 385, please note that that area is the staircase of the house, there is noway you can hope to hang a whole flight of stairs and still "chalk" up the area, No sir, according to my experience, you stand two pillars either side of the staircase and then drop a line of blocks in between , you now cast all the steps on top of the blocks with the blocks hanging the step landing, supported by enough network of rods, remember that before the casting of the steps, rods will be formed to carry the steps and wood work formations will sit the steps, The rods will bind with the existing pillar rods you see now, that is why we are leaving that area as it is now, you will still see this as we go along this building, please don't draw conclusions on an ongoing project. but its also right you point issues out, only that you don't know this is a stair well area sha grin

Keep the suggestions flowing my people, am enjoying them, that's what makes buildings very interesting.
I will show more pictures when I get home.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:19pm On Jan 28, 2012
Am Alone:

Yes you can/could. When if you check my first pic you would c how.
After raising the backside of the building to the level of the fronside, then you can chain up!!!!

Good news is that the decking will be on same level. Its a very good news my man!!!

@ the bolded,

please explain more, because, lets assume I raised the level of the back to meet the front of this house, the back will have 14-15 blocks to catch the front, is this not more dangerous as it rises, what about soil pressure of the big vacuum to be filled when you raise 15 blocks behind and then start filling it up with laterite? or the cost of a new retaining wall to prevent collapse?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by rastaman20(m): 1:26pm On Jan 28, 2012
waa-ooo, school of thought,every building is unique. @spyder880 thanks for those tips. learning alot.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:33pm On Jan 28, 2012
^^^ @ Oga Rastaman20, long time?
Really every house is unique and I like to see it as very different from the other. Depending on what the area presents, that how I formulate solutions to every problem. In Lagos if you do what am doing now, it may fail, why The soil!!!

The sandy nature of Lagos grounds will make improper foundations sink into the ground, and most times you consider raft arrangement because of their soil nature. But with the stones of Enugu, you are building on top of solid rock.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 6:24pm On Jan 28, 2012
Loving it by the day
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by gmiky: 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2012
Bros spyder880 , kindly update us on the cost of doing the foundation. tanx
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 11:52pm On Jan 28, 2012
gmiky:

Bros spyder880 , kindly update us on the cost of doing the foundation. tanx

Good question . . .
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by olubuffett: 12:53am On Jan 29, 2012
spyder880:

^^^ @ Oga Rastaman20, long time?
Really every house is unique and I like to see it as very different from the other. Depending on what the area presents, that how I formulate solutions to every problem. In Lagos if you do what am doing now, it may fail, why The soil!!!

The sandy nature of Lagos grounds will make improper foundations sink into the ground, and most times you consider raft arrangement because of their soil nature. But with the stones of Enugu, you are building on top of solid rock.

Na him be se the man way build house on solid rock in the bible na Enugu he build am! grin grin wink
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 4:48am On Jan 29, 2012
^^^^ na so bros, in fact I always wonder why Enugu was not mentioned in the bible, lol.

As of the cost of the foundation, am still calculating, will post that later.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:31pm On Jan 29, 2012
more work done on saturday

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
more

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:42pm On Jan 29, 2012
more

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2012
more lintel wood work

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 11:56pm On Jan 29, 2012
more

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by FACE(m): 12:32am On Jan 30, 2012
Am Alone:

Bros Spyder, my take is that you have at least two different building you are building together.
To make them one, I think you need to chain them up. Otherwise  in a space of 6 months or so.
you will notice that the building will start to seperate at that joint(because of the rotation of the earth) & because just chalking it will not hold it back.
Note

Again, I don't know how you plan to do the decking, but please dont make same mistake as you did with the german floor.
since you are building this house as a building, let the decking make them one!!!!!

That is the best solution I can offer.

OLUWA CHAMPION!!!!

The above in bold is false and shows a poor understanding of what you are trying to use as a postulate. Everybody on earth is moving at the same speed and direction (east) as the earth and you do not feel the speed.

Even if the earth were to change speed, unless that speed is not uniform or change was brought about by an external object (2nd law), which causes a sudden change or the earth suddenly departs from its axis of spin everybody will continue to travel at the same speed and direction as the earth with no effect on their stability as a result of the earth's spin. If you have a cup of water in your car and your acceleration is not sudden/erratic and your direction remains uniform,the water will remain in the cup; that's a simple illustration.

You could base your postulates on things like gravity, compression, landslide etc but not on the earth's spin. The day the earth's spin becomes a problem, we will have more worries than the stability a structure.

Spyder has already explained to you about other points you raised.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 12:34am On Jan 30, 2012
FACE:

The above in bold is false and shows a poor understanding of what you are trying to use as a postulate. Everybody on earth is moving at the same speed and direction (east) as the earth and you do not feel the speed.

Even if the earth were to change speed, unless that speed is not uniform or change was brought about by an external object (2nd law), which causes a sudden change or the earth suddenly departs from its axis of spin everybody will continue to travel at the same speed and direction as the earth with not effect on their stability as a result of the earth's spin. If you have a cup of water in your car and your acceleration is not sudden/erratic and your direction remains uniform,the water will remain in the cup; that's a simple illustration.

You could base your postulates on things like gravity, compression, landslide etc but not on the earth's spin. The day the earth's spin becomes a problem, we will have more worries than the stability a structure.

Spyder has already explained to you about other points you raised.

Thank you sir for those points.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by FACE(m): 12:43am On Jan 30, 2012
spyder880:

Thank you sir for those points.

No wahala, still learning from you. Thanx for dealing with criticism and advice in a mature manner.
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 12:56am On Jan 30, 2012
more

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by spyder880(m): 1:03am On Jan 30, 2012
where beams meets a pillar, this will be left till we are casting the staircase

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by sixtus4: 7:57am On Jan 30, 2012
i observed some thing on the staircase,the landing and the dpc.whether staircase or change in level.what happened ?
Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by chidexy(m): 1:31pm On Jan 30, 2012
@ Spyder880, I got a question. First off, I am not knowledgeable in the building department, but I have observed that you had 9 levels of block before the Lintel and 3 already after. I guess one or more block levels will be added before decking, why is this so? Isn't it adding to the total (increased) cost of erecting a building. Is that how it is prescribed in our Nigerian building code.

Compare this to the structures that I have seen outside the country, where the decking is just about 2.5meters from the floor, hence saving on blocks. I would like your view on this (see some attached pictures)

Re: Building A Large Duplex In Enugu by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2012
Reporting to class for today

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply)

10-Hour Rainfall: Lekki, Ikoyi Residents Flee Mansions As Flood Ravages Homes / FLOOR/WALL TILES HERE @EPIC_CERAMICS (with Pictures) / Inside Abeokuta Hill-top Estate Where The Super Rich Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.