Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,101 members, 7,828,850 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? (4304 Views)

Obiano Visits Mosque Which Was Attacked During The Protest In Onitsha (Photos) / Thousands Of Fake Voters From South West And North Arrives Bayelsa For Election / Yoruba Say SW And North Saved N/delta From Igbos - Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Dede1(m): 12:12pm On Jan 10, 2012
otokx:

the east is igboland not the south south

This is yet another statement that exudes wanton load of ignorance. There is Igbo land within the so-called south-south. There is no ethnic group that lay exclusive claim to the nonsensical south-south jargon.

At least, Igbo can exclusively lay claim on one region in the cesspit called Nigeria. It will be welcome closure on your self-denial if you can spit your ethnicity.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by beafroast: 12:22pm On Jan 10, 2012
'TRIBALLAND' where everything must start and end in tribal war.
I laff in monkey language!
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by tpia5: 12:31pm On Jan 10, 2012
The west has always been known for civil protests of this nature.

We're usually very quick to take to the streets.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Hardunnii(f): 12:32pm On Jan 10, 2012
Ibos, whether u like it or not, u are also parasite, south south has rejected u ppl, deal with it
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by asha80(m): 12:34pm On Jan 10, 2012
Hardunnii:

Ibos, whether u like it or not, u are also parasite, south south has rejected u ppl, deal with it

so why wasn't the 'parasites' allowed to leave nigeria when they wanted to?
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by jason123: 12:37pm On Jan 10, 2012
The SS has oil  BUT the SE and SW have significant oil as well.
In the SE, we have Imo and Abia state as oil producers.
In the SW, we have Ondo but[b] Lagos[/b] also has a significant amount of oil.

For Lagos (why its not regarded as an oil producing state is VERY baffling):

An oil rig in Lagos:

http://www.2space.net/news/article/207621-1246012211/
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by DRANOEL(m): 12:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
emmke:

nah. Not just benue. Most northern states are agricultural powerhouse. Plateau, taraba, nasarawa, kaduna etc are all blessed with fertile lands with significant % of nigeria's agricultural produce coming from them. And last time i checked, benue is NC or has anything changed?

in matters like this i don't think a 98% christian benue will exactly follow the mostly muslim north and assume the position of the igbos(as the scape goat of the muslim north) in the seperated north!
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by jason123: 1:13pm On Jan 10, 2012

Another oil rig near V.I in Lagos state. Yet, its not regarded as an oil producing state.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by emmke(m): 2:16pm On Jan 10, 2012
DRANOEL:

in matters like this i don't think a 98% christian benue will exactly follow the mostly muslim north and assume the position of the igbos(as the scape goat of the muslim north) in the seperated north!
Benue is not 98% christian. And they are north, or at least middle belt. Have never been south.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 10, 2012
The West and the North are where the movers and the shakers of the oil industry come from.
Jonathan has moved the unmovable movers and shaken the unshakable shakers.

They are able to mobilise their foot soldiers to go out enmasse.

In the SouthSouth and the South East, the majority of the people have no stakes and nobody to "mobilise" the people.

Hahahaha.

No more free oil. Jonathan, please hit them hard. NO MORE FREE OIL!

We will join the strike when members of the TUC & NLC will start burning theselves to death.

Nonsense.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by DRANOEL(m): 2:49pm On Jan 10, 2012
emmke:

Benue is not 98% christian. And they are north, or at least middle belt. Have never been south.

i never said benue is south! i implied that when the chips are down they'll rather stick on their own than go north! i can atually give the demgraphics of benue! in the capital makurdi there are small pockets of hausa settlements in wadata and north bank area! amongst the tivs are 0.01% muslims while the idomas have about 2.5% muslims! unlike the other north central states the people speak their own language and not hausa! before the amalgamation of 1914 southern tivland was under southern protectorate!

for more about benue people try reading the book; the middle belt people: politics of identity and development by the late prof. logams
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by jason123: 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2012
DRANOEL:

i never said benue is south! i implied that when the chips are down they'll rather stick on their own than go north! i can atually give the demgraphics of benue! in the capital makurdi there are small pockets of hausa settlements in wadata and north bank area! amongst the tivs are 0.01% muslims while the idomas have about 2.5% muslims! unlike the other north central states the people speak their own language and not hausa! before the amalgamation of 1914 southern tivland was under southern protectorate!

for more about benue people try reading the book; the middle belt people: politics of identity and development by the late prof. logams

Don't be too sure . . . . this is the MB not the South.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Gbawe: 2:58pm On Jan 10, 2012
noblezone:

The West and the North are where the movers and the shakers of the oil industry come from.
Jonathan has moved the unmovable movers and shaken the unshakable shakers.

They are able to mobilise their foot soldiers to go out enmasse.

In the SouthSouth and the South East, the majority of the people have no stakes and nobody to "mobilise" the people.

Hahahaha.

No more free oil. Jonathan, please hit them hard. NO MORE FREE OIL!

We will join the strike when members of the TUC & NLC will start burning theselves to death.

Nonsense.

Keep decieving yourself. As if ordinary Nigerians, from all corners of the nation, benefit from so-called "free oil". The real beneficiary are the extremely minute percentage of individuals , also from all corners of Nigeria, who are affiliated with Government and use the income from crude sales to create a hideously opulent existence for themselves while the rest of Nigerians have to provide everything for themselves. 'Subsidy' in the form of free food, free newspaper, free electricity, free estacode, free travel,  free cars, in fact free everything those associated with Government enjoy , that the rest of us can only dream of, illustrates clearly who the losers are for those who can think without ethnic hatred blinding their reasoning.

What most Nigerians who support subsidy removal do not understand is that Government enjoys far more yearly subsidy than the N1.4 trillion they lie claim will be "saved" from fuel subsidy removal.

Indeed the Nigerian Government is without doubt the most subsidised in the entire world !!!!! Not many nations of the world  have this anti-human and evil practice in place whereby a very small number of people subsidize themselves massively at the expense of 99.9% of the population. Even sad when it is the citizens themselves , forever susceptible to the divide-and-conquer tactics of leaders, who cannot discern the real winners and losers. They rather call each other names when the fact is that it is all ordinary Nigerians who are losers. Anyone who thinks this subsidy removal somehow hurts the Yoruba and Fulani "parasites" more is simply deluded. Senators, Ministers, special advisors and special advisors to special advisors (from all corners of Nigeria) simply now have the proportion of their already very disproportionately large subsidy increased while the subsidy benefitting 160 million Nigerians is gone.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 10, 2012
Nchara:

Okay!! Thanks. But the fact that I do not know him (and I know many people/things  ) makes him a very small cabal.

LMAO. One man can make a "CABAL"?!

Double LMAO @:"I know many people".

Stop the chest pounding, King Kong,. . . . not a good look.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by aljharem(m): 3:11pm On Jan 10, 2012
Beacuse they demand accountability from there leaders

http://www.huhuonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4073%3Abreaking-news-otedola-tinubu-and-otudekos-homes-picketed&catid=103%3Amore-news&Itemid=1
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 10, 2012
Ekt_bear:

The attempts to tribalize this are sad and pathetic.

Mark well which people are ethnicizing this issue, Nigerians (and the world at large more generally.)

They are venomous vipers.

Hmmmn. . . .
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by DRANOEL(m): 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2012
jason123:

Don't be too sure . . . . this is the MB not the South.

i don't know what you are impling but this i know, the people in benue are not fools! sticking with the north if the country seperates means they will become the majority christians/non hausa speaking and as such a repeat of the present nigeria with them bearing the brunt of religious attacks! if at all a middle belt state is formed,sticking with them means the rebirth of the old benue plateau where benue indigenes were hated and disliked for dominating the civil service and being educationally more advanced. besides a tiv man doesn't forget the fact that most of the middle belt tribes are actually quararafa(and all speak a uniting hausa) and as such will gang up against him when the chips are down! benue will be in a predicament!
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by ektbear: 3:43pm On Jan 10, 2012
DRANOEL:

most of the middle belt tribes are actually quararafa(and all speak a uniting hausa)

Hmm, interesting.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by naijaking1: 3:48pm On Jan 10, 2012
Answer= the core north and SW are yet to fully accept the result of last year's presidential election.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by aljharem(m): 3:55pm On Jan 10, 2012
naijaking1:

Answer= the core north and SW are yet to fully accept the result of last year's presidential election.

the MB and the SW voted for GEJ

so what result ?
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nchara: 4:22pm On Jan 10, 2012
The south south is ashamed for GEJ

Otoxx:

This is only 0.0002% correct
The overwhelming bulk of SS people are happy with GEJ
If in doubt go out on the streets and repeat what you just said
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nchara: 4:25pm On Jan 10, 2012
You guys are speaking grammar
If you claim the SE has no oil
Please allow resource control
Let every state manage their resources
Let's see who blinks first
Already we have seen the list of states that are almost financially out
How many SE states are on that list?
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nchara: 4:27pm On Jan 10, 2012
Ekt Bear:

Those tribalizing it are those insisting that SE should protest and destroy properties against their will. And when they do not, they are being called names
I thought it was a free world where you have a right to choose and not to choose what is important for you?

If you call me names for not protesting, I call you names for protesting. That is fair, no?

Those making these foolish comments do not want to acknowledge the 1000s of SE people living and protesting in the SW and North?
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Gbawe: 4:28pm On Jan 10, 2012
alj harem:

the MB and the SW voted for GEJ

so what result ?

Don't mind him. As Ekt bear posited correctly "Mark well which people are ethnicizing this issue".

I personally have no issues with some folks turning their back on protest and strike actions. It is their prerogative. What is regretable is how this whole thing has been given a rabid ethnic dimension by those calling others "parasites" and "lazy phucks". Of course I think it is very unpatriotic and ungracious to call fellow ordinary Nigerians  parasites, as those subsidy removal affects the most, when we all know they benefit very little from our oil wealth.

We all know those , from all corners of Nigeria, who really benefit from the oil wealth of Nigeria to the extent that they use circa 73% of budgeted spending yearly to subsize their own hideously opulent lifestyle. There is no luxury they do not arrogate upon themselves to be paid for by Nigeria's wealth. They have 5 of everything (cars, homes, gaurds et al) even as ordinary Nigerians , from all corners of Nigeria, have nothing and must provide everything for themselves.

That being said, and ultimately, folks can take whatever positions they want as long as they will not turn around tomorrow to revise history to tell us they defeated subsidy removal "single-handly" or that they practice "one Nigeria" more than others or that they represented better than everybody else when National problems arose. It will also do well for some folks to remember all what we are noting when they insist they must have the Presidency in future. Who will support such an ambition if they remember this period and how it was those always calling everyone else bigots who revealed bigotry the most by calling fellow Nigerian , fully entitled to the Nation's collective wealth under the constitution,  "parasites", lazy phucks" and all other unsavoury tags.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by ektbear: 4:33pm On Jan 10, 2012
Gbawe has said most of what needs to be said.

My own position on the subsidy is well known, at this point. So I don't begrudge anyone who decides not to protest.

The problem I have is that some are:

1) trying to characterize those who are protesting as parasites
2) characterizing entire ethnic groups as parasites based on these protests
3) and trying to play a game of holier-than-thou.

Live and let live. . . if you are for the subsidy-removal, you aren't obliged to protest, and if you are against it, by all means protest.

Freedom of speech, right of assembly, all that jazz.

Just don't play games with the situation.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by aljharem(m): 4:36pm On Jan 10, 2012
In case people have forgotten, this was the election result last year

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmkYcdO2THnQEc2E4PidVw5fbIoU2a51tl8YPKWJkf0q97_x-ymQ[/img]
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by PointB: 4:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
It is idiotic to make this protest and comment about future presidency! It is even most unfortunate that such idiocy is coming from those who won presidency for Buhari on Nairaland. At any rate, I need not remind any fool the presidency is not won on lost on NL, future dynamics such as candidate, campaign, funds, etc has a lot of role to play.

bunch of myopic and glorified ethnic champions and purveyor of vindictiveness.

btw lets even pray that Nigeria make is past 2015. Fvcking mofos!
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2012
Gbawe:

We all know those , from all corners of Nigeria, who really benefit from the oil wealth of Nigeria to the extent that they use circa 73% [/b]of budgeted spending yearly to [b]subsize their own hideously opulent lifestyle.

My guy, I told you: YOU CANT USE 'CIRCA' IN THAT CONTEXT. Even though Circa means around, it can only be used for dates, events or  eras. The word you're looking for is 'appx' (Approximately).
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nchara: 6:00pm On Jan 10, 2012
ekt_bear:

Gbawe has said most of what needs to be said.

My own position on the subsidy is well known, at this point. So I don't begrudge anyone who decides not to protest.

The problem I have is that some are:

1) trying to characterize those who are protesting as parasites
2) characterizing entire ethnic groups as parasites based on these protests
3) and trying to play a game of holier-than-thou.

Live and let live. . . if you are for the subsidy-removal, you aren't obliged to protest, and if you are against it, by all means protest.

Freedom of speech, right of assembly, all that jazz.

Just don't play games with the situation.

Fair enough. Let those calling SE not protesting names stop, and we shall stop calling those protesting names.
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Gbawe: 6:02pm On Jan 10, 2012
kingoflag:

My guy, I told you: YOU CANT USE 'CIRCA' FOR IN THAT CONTEXT. Even though Circa means around, it can only be used for dates, events or  eras. The word you're looking for is 'appx' (Approximately).

In the modern context circa is now commonly used to mean "in the region of" . For example, salary circa £18,000.00
Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by dayokanu(m): 6:17pm On Jan 10, 2012
We have always known Igbos to be saboteurs

Ask me what Arthur Nzeribe, Uche Chukwumerije and Daniel Kanu have in common? They are the major saboteurs in our history and Ibos

While the SW were the ones who protested vehemently against the govt of IBB, Abacha, OBJ(A SWwesterner), yar Adua (During the cabal)

Where were the SE in all of these?

For more info, Go and read my previous posts about the slave gene

Re: Why Is The Protest So Intense In The West And North? Why Are They Bitter? by Nchara: 6:22pm On Jan 10, 2012
^^^^
And Awolowo (Oba of Yorubas) served under an illiterate northern officer (Gowon)
And Awolowo and the Yorubas joined the North to kill Igbos
And Bakare served Buhari
And Fola Adeola (a seasoned banker) served a mere Police Officer, Ribadu
And Dayokanu is serving me too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kidnappers Grab Son Of Secretary To The Delta State Government / Diezani Is Innocent: Lets Pray For Her / Face of SACKED, Nigerian Tribune Editor Who Hoaxed Fake Prof Sagay Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.