Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70353 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Shokoloko(f): 10:48pm On Feb 04, 2012
dont use language as a parameter in jugding closeness of tribes. tribes adopted words from each other's languages that were commonly used in trading

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
You are actually the clown and  the attention seeker here.

I never spoke to you on this thread - you came at me sideways for no reason, Next time if you don't care about a post, ignore it and stop talking to me side ways, People get their faces knock off for that, where I'm from,

I'll talk about what I know about my history, which are FACTS - because we're being MARGINALIZED in Lagos by the AWORIS, We were in Lagos before them, and they stole our culture and traditions, yet they want to claim Lagos to themselves, I have cousins we couldn't even get into the State University in Lagos because some bigoted Awori elders told them they're not from Lagos, when their ancestors were in Lagos before these Aworis were barnished from Ile-Ife, I know my history and I know what rightfully belongs to me in my home state - if you don't like it, ignore my comments, No ratings for gossipers and cowards - who only talk behind people's back, period,
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by odumchi: 10:52pm On Feb 04, 2012
exotik:

as if yoruba and igbo are not full of dialects that have variants for words.  grin grin

orisakwe is an igbo name meaning god-agrees. and i actually saw an igbo person wit dat name here on NL posted abagworo a proper igboman.

Orisakwe is a variant of Olisakwe or Osawke which are derived from Osebuluwa meaning God who carries the world. This has no connection with the Yoruba goddess Orisha. Besides "Orisa" in Yoruba is pronounced "Oh-ree-sha" while "Olisa" is pronounced "Oh-ri-sa" or "Oh-li-sa". Howvwer, you're right, there are dialectal differences.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PhysicsQED(m): 10:52pm On Feb 04, 2012
The Edo (Bini) language is basically equidistant from both Yoruba and Igbo in terms of words shared according to the latest linguistic study:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ARo7vPXOhvkC&pg=PA84#v=onepage&q&f=false

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 10:55pm On Feb 04, 2012
shymmex:

I never spoke to you on this thread - you came at me sideways for no reason,  Next time if you don't care about a post, ignore it and stop talking to me side ways,  People get their faces knock off for that, where I'm from,

I'll talk about what I know about my history, which are FACTS - because we're being MARGINALIZED in Lagos by the AWORIS,  We were in Lagos before them, and they stole our culture and traditions, yet they want to claim Lagos to themselves,  I have cousins we couldn't even get into the State University in Lagos because some bigoted Awori elders told them they're not from Lagos, when their ancestors were in Lagos before these Aworis were barnished from Ile-Ife,  I know my history and I know what rightfully belongs to me in my home state - if you don't like it, ignore my comments,  No ratings for gossipers and cowards - who only talk behind people's back, period,

sorry you are not Ijebu

I would ask you some series of questions now

1. Name 3 Ijebu settlements in Lagos

2. What is the ijebu favourate food

3. What do Ijebus added to their ewedu that aworis don't add

4. Give me some proper Ijebu names

5. what were ijebus concerned and what position was reserved for Ijebus alone in Oyo empire

6. What is your Ijebu name that they were able to know you were not awori ?

7. Which part of lagos do Ijebu aworis occupy ? Awori is a mixture of different groups and we are the most mixed yoruba group.

8. Was Awori under the Oyo empire yes or no what what was ijebus role in Oyo
I am waiting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 04, 2012
@Moderator.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by sleekman(m): 10:57pm On Feb 04, 2012
Obi of Onitsha is a direct descendant of d Oba of Benin so also is d Obi of Agbor, all Enogies in Edo state, Owo of Owo, Oba of Akure, Oba of Lagos, Ooni of Ife, Rulers of Igbira, Atuwase of Warri, ruler of Uhrobo. One of d reasons adduced for d Bini empire not expanding much was that d Binis were very wicked. So much atrocities were commited by them. So u see just like in Europe most people in d south that's SW, SE, SS and part of d middle belt are closely related. Various Oba's intermarried amongst eachothers tribes as peace treaties.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 10:58pm On Feb 04, 2012
odumchi:

Orisakwe is a variant of Olisakwe or Osawke which are derived from Osebuluwa meaning God who carries the world. This has no connection with the Yoruba goddess Orisha. Besides "Orisa" in Yoruba is pronounced "Oh-ree-sha" while "Olisa" is pronounced "Oh-ri-sa" or "Oh-li-sa". Howvwer, you're right, there are dialectal differences.

cotdamn u are funny . . . u sound like someone trying to explain the difference between igbo and ibo grin grin

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PhysicsQED(m): 10:58pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

ayegbeni and adesua are yoruba names but you might find edo people bearing the same.

Interesting.

Aiyegbeni is an Etsako name and I don't know the meaning, but Adesuwa is a child born in wealth/prosperity. What does Adesua mean in Yoruba?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 11:00pm On Feb 04, 2012
adesua is short for adesuwa which itself is a dialectal variant of adesewa.

crown is beauty, or there is beauty in the crown.

when you see anything with aiye in it, that is yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:00pm On Feb 04, 2012
sleekman:

One of d reasons adduced for d Bini empire not expanding much was that d Binis were very wicked. So much atrocities were commited by them.

lmao

I would respond to this seriously but I can't stop laughing.

Anyway, were you there back then to see whether they were anymore "wicked' than those around them?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by bluehorizo(m): 11:02pm On Feb 04, 2012
My mother is an Edo woman from Owan LG. And I can tell you that they SPEAK YORUBA and also answer Yoruba names. Right from Ifon to Uzzeba to Sabongida Ora to Ogute to Afuze to Otuo to Akoko Edo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 11:03pm On Feb 04, 2012
tribes adopted words from each other's languages that were commonly used in trading

end of.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 11:03pm On Feb 04, 2012
sleekman:

Obi of Onitsha is a direct descendant of d Oba of Benin so also is d Obi of Agbor, all Enogies in Edo state, Owo of Owo, Oba of Akure, Oba of Lagos, Ooni of Ife, Rulers of Igbira, Atuwase of Warri, ruler of Uhrobo. One of d reasons adduced for d Bini empire not expanding much was that d Binis were very wicked. So much atrocities were commited by them. So u see just like in Europe most people in d south that's SW, SE, SS and part of d middle belt are closely related. Various Oba's intermarried amongst eachothers tribes as peace treaties.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin na wa oooo southern Nigeria in one epistle
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:03pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

Thanks. Beautiful name. I think these are actually different names though. An example of a coincidence in appearance, like Osakwe (Igbo) and Osakue (Benin) or Oodua (Yoruba) and Oduwa (Benin).
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by onila(f): 11:03pm On Feb 04, 2012
edos look like igbos

edo women and men are one of the most beautiful people in Nigeria
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 11:04pm On Feb 04, 2012
bluehorizo:

My mother is an Edo woman from Owan LG. And I can tell you that they SPEAK YORUBA and also answer Yoruba names. Right from Ifon to Uzzeba to Sabongida Ora to Ogute to Afuze to Otuo to Akoko Edo.

+ 100
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 11:04pm On Feb 04, 2012
onila:

edos look like igbos

edo women and men are one of the most beautiful people in Nigeria

Nope

Women are fulani/hausa girl

men are yoruba/bendel men

get your facts right.

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 11:05pm On Feb 04, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Thanks. Beautiful name. I think these are actually different names though. An example of a coincidence in appearance, like Osakwe (Igbo) and Osakue (Benin) or Oodua (Yoruba) and Oduwa (Benin).

you have to examine the meaning before concluding something is a coincidence.

never heard of oduwa in benin. Is this a recent addition.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by richkids1(m): 11:06pm On Feb 04, 2012
This is really a funny conversation
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 11:06pm On Feb 04, 2012
richkids1:

This is really a funny conversation

that is why I love NL. different characters each time grin grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
sorry you are not Ijebu

I would ask you some series of questions now

1. Name 3 Ijebu settlements in Lagos

2. What is the ijebu favourate food

3. What do Ijebus added to their ewedu that aworis don't add

4. Give me some proper Ijebu names

5. what were ijebus concerned and what position was reserved for Ijebus alone in Oyo empire

6. What is your Ijebu name that they were able to know you were not awori ?

7. Which part of lagos do Ijebu aworis occupy ? Awori is a mixture of different groups and we are the most mixed yoruba group.

I am waiting

You're a clown!! I'm not IJEBU grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I won't expose my identity on the internet because anyone from Epe will know my family - we're very popular there. I'll give you my mother's lineage, and anyone from Iperu Remo will know the family, but because it's a big one - I doubt you'll be able to trace my mum,

My mum's family lineage is AGBONMAGBE which birthed OKUPE and others - that's all I'm going to tell you, If you know IPERU REMO, you'll know EYO FESTIVAL actually belongs to her family lineage, and they brought it to Idumagbo,

The Ijebu's primary settlements in Lagos are Epe, Ikorodu and Ibeju-Lekki, According to pops, some settled on Lagos Island in places like Idunmagbo and Ebute Ero, The Taiwo Olowos' from Lagos Island are our distant cousins, That's all I'm going to say about that,

Every simpleton knows that IKOKORE is our dish,

I'm not the type to claim what I'm not - I did that when I was younger trying too hard to be Jafrican - but I'm wiser now, I'm proud of my culture and heritage - and I'm proud of Nigerian, Proudly Nigerian, Yoruba and Ijebu, period,

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by onila(f): 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
alj harem:

Nope

get your facts right.

i said one of the most beautiful not beautiful  angry

most handsome men in Nigeria are igbo men. edo, calabar men come second
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2012
bluehorizo:

you are mistaken.

even just examine the edo place names you mentioned.

what sounds yoruba about them?

aside from akoko edo which people confuse for yoruba because there's an akoko which is yoruba and also because akoko edo people bear yoruba names.

sabongida ora doesnt sound hausa to you?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by odumchi: 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2012
sleekman:

The Obis of Agbor and Onitsha are from Nri.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by isalegan2: 11:10pm On Feb 04, 2012
shymmex:

Thanks, fam,  I have noted the notorious tribalists like onlytruth, dayokanu, ezeuche, exotik etc,  I'll try to avoid them - these clowns breed tribalism, I tell ya,  I grew up with a lot Nigerian kids that never cared about their tribes - we only saw ourselves as Nigerians and black Africans,  I developed an interest in Nigerian history before 1914 a couple of years ago - and the funniest thing is that the guy who introduced it to me was a RASTAFARIAN, and since then I have found out every tribe in Nigeria is the SAME PEOPLE - just with different tongues,  we all migrated from the same place,

Yorubas, Binis, Igbos, Hausa etc,  are all not indigenous to where they're in present day Nigeria - we all migrated from different places,  We might even be the same people but we now speak different languages,

Even most of the present day English people are GERMANS - but we Africans do HATE studying our history and migration patterns - that's why we're in the mess we're in today,

Welcome.  smiley  I guess you're a relatively new poster.  I haven't read all the back and forth, so I may have missed something . . . but I have to tell you, take it easy with comments about another poster's parent(s). shocked  Aside from my own personal opinion on the matter, NL rules says you can be banned for it.  Careful o.  if you get banned you can't later run for Poster of the Year. lol  wink cheesy

Jarus:

Culture, not Politics pls.

Thanks

Oga Jarus. angry  Sorry o. tongue  I spotted the thread, read just a few posts before replying to the one that caught my attention.  Didn't notice it was in Culture section.  Also, I mentioned Politics Section since that is where most of the complaints about tribalist threads stem.

Thread is moving too fast. 20 posts while I was typing. shocked No wonder I thought it was Politics Section.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 11:10pm On Feb 04, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Interesting.

Adesuwa is a child born in wealth/prosperity. What does Adesua mean in Yoruba?

aha, finally! grin i have been looking fwd to the day i will know something u dont know in edo.

adesuwa means "the middle/centre of wealth" just like adesogbe is "the middle/centre of ogbe"

abieyuwa is the name u are looking for which means "born into wealth" just like abiemwense meaning "i was born well"
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by odumchi: 11:11pm On Feb 04, 2012
alj harem:

Nope

get your facts right.

LOL. That says something about you Alj.  grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 04, 2012

Is nairaland ALLERGIC to "fullstop" My "fullstop" keeos showing as commas
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 11:12pm On Feb 04, 2012

fail.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Ninilowo(m): 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2012
Is it oduduwa or okanbi that had 7 sons? They all became rulers of 7 kindoms which ibini is one. Then what ar we saying. The ibinis do bear yoruba name like kola, taiwo, kehinde, etc. Read the history of Lagos u will understand dt yoruba n ibinis are one. The royal flat sword used by oba of lagos was sent from benin when d first coronation of oba of lagos. Kindly read "Lagos and its Environ" by Mr. Awofisayo of Adeniran Ogunsanya Coll of Educatio, Ijanikin for full details. In conclusion Edos n Yorubas are ONE. During the civil war, there was a liberation force in Benin dt did not fight on Biafra side. Brg. Sam Ogbemudia can give full details on dt.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

you have to examine the meaning before concluding something is a coincidence.

never heard of oduwa in benin. Is this a recent addition.

I don't see how it would be "recent" anymore than any other name. Aduwa, Aifuwa, Azuwa, Ebuwa, etc. There's a pretty consistent use of "uwa" since that word has a meaning that would be relevant to names.

Adesuwa in Edo and Adesuwa/Adesuwe in Yoruba don't mean the same thing though. It's just a coincidence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.