Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,374 members, 7,864,712 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:32 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8877525 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (14218) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 11:05pm On Apr 28, 2013
Well DDG was definitely better than Cech and Hart this season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 11:33pm On Apr 28, 2013
coogar:

rooney as the MOTM?
with his misplaced passes and general poor play? fergie is just being funny. jones will never be even considered to be better than djemba-djemba if he doesn't play in the defence(as a centre half) - that is his natural position. his positioning and technique is 4th grade.
I don't know what fergie sees in jones, he is not in any way a midfielder, I am disliking fergie more and more with his erratic decision making. Anytime I see jones in the midfield I know we will be on a long thing that day, our midfield play was very bad today especially in the first half. With Cleverley, we would have murdered arsenal today. Fergie should just please retire.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by A40(m): 11:54pm On Apr 28, 2013
mbulela: btw, how worse can Valencia get?
Dude is scaring me with his atrocious performances this season.
Valencia has the football IQ of a tapeworm! Instead of adding to his game dude stays regressing! Some of his final balls in today's game would phuck up a wet dream
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fabville: 12:27am On Apr 29, 2013
coogar: gareth bale won the pfa player of the year

what a joke!!! van persie scored against all the top teams away from home. etihad, emirates, anfield, white hart lane, etc!

I think the reason why Bale won it was because his goals had more impact on the position of his team than any of his fellow nominees. Most especially contesting for a champions league slot. This is where each team would have been without their top scorer.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 12:45am On Apr 29, 2013
Jones can do a decent job as defensive midfielder or destroyer (hencce why I have argued against signing a DM). He is not however a center midfielder no matter how much SAF wants him to develop into one. It is already looking like SAF is once again looking for reasons to justify not adding some much needed quality and numbers to our regressing central midfield.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2013
I'm pretty worried about the fact that Nani gets far more stick than Valencia. Valencia has been borderline atrocious this season but its Nani that gets most stick and gets asked to be sold.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2013
Mr_TA: I'm pretty worried about the fact that Nani gets far more stick than Valencia. Valencia has been borderline atrocious this season but its Nani that gets most stick and gets asked to be sold.

valencia is rubbish....i don't even know what he's capable of doing these days apart from just running into blind alleys. nani beats defenders for fun and van persie should have scored from his cross in the first half. it was also nani's pressure that forced sagna's error that led to the penalty. valencia turns his back and allows defenders to pick passes from the back. valencia has gone lazier, his pace has suffered and he's got confidence issues.

zaha won the championship player of the year, i hope he hits the same form with us next season and demote valencia!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
elampiro:
At the end of the season, we shall see who the best goalkeeper goes to. Perhaps the only time I will return to remind you and De Gea.

United facebook page has no rival in keeping up with Manchester United. You get to know things as they happen. When they are raw, being cooked and when ready to serve.

Bye.

elampiro, come back and eat your vomitus.
de gea is the best goalie in the division as i predicted almost 6 weeks ago. alan hansen and dailymirror have you fooled!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 3:00pm On Apr 29, 2013
coogar:

elampiro, come back and eat your vomitus.
de gea is the best goalie in the division as i predicted almost 6 weeks ago. alan hansen and dailymirror have you fooled!

No one fooled me, it is what I watched and saw. If today I am a coach of a team, I will start Cech, Hart ahead of De Gea in that order. But since the EPL officials have said he is the best, I rest my argument even though I highly disagree. In about 70% of our matches this season, De Gea made me nervous, I actually think the players over laboured to protect him. Even against Aston Villa he fumbled a simple crossing into the 18 box and it was RVP who cleared again from goal line in the resulting corner. These are suppose to be simple balls for goalkeepers.

Remember too, Bale won the best player. Is he really the best?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 3:00pm On Apr 29, 2013
Gary Neville feels the current champions are only at the beginning of their cycle.

Neville wrote in the Mail on Sunday: "You can always sense when a United team are coming to the end of a cycle and when they are growing.

"This team are definitely in the latter category. There were seven players winning the Premier League for the first time.

"And when I look at players like Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Rafael, Tom Cleverley, Danny Welbeck, Shinji Kagawa and Javier Hernandez, I can see them doing the same as those Dortmund and Bayern players.

"What all those players have in common, and what is crucial to the modern game, is that they can all run - and quickly.

"But I would imagine Sir Alex will have been invigorated from watching Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich and will have thought: 'Right, we missed out this year. But I'm going to get my players into that mentality so that we're going to be there in 2014 and 2015.'

"This United team are on an upward curve. Monday wasn't the summit of their potential achievements. It was one of the smaller peaks along to the way to the summit." <Source: Tribal Football>
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 3:02pm On Apr 29, 2013
Buzzing for De Gea! Selected alongside Michael, Robin and Rio in the PFA Team of the Year! Well deserved lads! -Rooney, on his facebook page.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 3:02pm On Apr 29, 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson has warned Chelsea not to expect an easy ride against Manchester United next weekend despite the United already winning the Premier League title.

Sir Alex has reassured Arsène Wenger United will give 100 per cent against Chelsea and that United will be looking to beat last season’s Champions League winners.

“We’ve got Chelsea next week and they’re fighting for a Champions League place, we’ve got to honour the rest of the teams that are trying to get there.

“Nobody could say that we relaxed too much at Arsenal. We showed good aggression again in the second half in particular and with a bit more composure in front of goal I thought we could have won the game.” <Source: thesportsreview­.com>
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 4:41pm On Apr 29, 2013
You would choose Hart ahead of De Gea?

Joe hart is the biggest scam in this seasons English football
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fabville: 5:29pm On Apr 29, 2013
elampiro:

No one fooled me, it is what I watched and saw. If today I am a coach of a team, I will start Cech, Hart ahead of De Gea in that order. But since the EPL officials have said he is the best, I rest my argument even though I highly disagree. In about 70% of our matches this season, De Gea made me nervous, I actually think the players over laboured to protect him. Even against Aston Villa he fumbled a simple crossing into the 18 box and it was RVP who cleared again from goal line in the resulting corner. These are suppose to be simple balls for goalkeepers.

I don't know from which perspective you watch matches. Did you watch Man City vs West Ham? Since De Gea arrived in England, he has never made such error. Most of the errors made by Hart in this season are school boys errors that De Gea have never made. You need to concede to superior argument when you see one. No matter how you look at it he is the best goalie this season. That was our (Coogar and i0I) argument and we supported it with facts while you depended so much on some articles written by Alan Hansen & co.
You said defenders over laboured to protect him. I totally disagree because he was so much alive to his duties as a good goalie even when we didn't have a stable defence line because of injuries. If not for his sharp reflexes we wouldn't have won this title the way we have won it. Defenders are supposed to give protection to their goalie as their primary duty. But if you don't have good/stable defence line, then you don't have to blame goalie for conceding goals cos there is a limit to what he can do.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2013
elampiro:

i too will start Cech ahead of DDG,although in 2 years time DDG will likely reach levels Cech can never dream of either in his past nor future.
My joint second choice would be Lloris and DDG.
How did Hart end up in that list of yours?
Hart is due a slot on Comedy Central. If DDG committed half as much cock ups as Hart, his EU citizenship would have been withdrawn and the lad banished to North Korea.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 6:01pm On Apr 29, 2013
dayokanu: You would choose Hart ahead of De Gea?

Joe hart is the biggest scam in this seasons English football
na typo.
i am waiting for the guy to come and correct himself.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 29, 2013
Fabville:

I don't know from which perspective you watch matches. Did you watch Man City vs West Ham? Since De Gea arrived in England, he has never made such error. Most of the errors made by Hart in this season are school boys errors that De Gea have never made. You need to concede to superior argument when you see one. No matter how you look at it he is the best goalie this season. That was our (Coogar and i0I) argument and we supported it with facts while you depended so much on some articles written by Alan Hansen & co.
You said defenders over laboured to protect him. I totally disagree because he was so much alive to his duties as a good goalie even when we didn't have a stable defence line because of injuries. If not for his sharp reflexes we wouldn't have won this title the way we have won it. Defenders are supposed to give protection to their goalie as their primary duty. But if you don't have good/stable defence line, then you don't have to blame goalie for conceding goals cos there is a limit to what he can do.
baba, 4gt articles here. wen ddg was parrying shots to d paths of unrushing strikers for a couple of weeks nko??isnt it an open secret dt DDG isnt too comfortable with arial balls into d box?? Dnt get i twisted oo, i cldnt be more impressed with d prgress d boi has made over d past 10mnths, bt if der r areas of his game dt nid improvement, dey shud be pointed out, and even fergie attested to dis fact in a nmbr of interviews.i think man utd fans shud see his inclusion into d team- of- d- yr list more as a recognition of hw well he has improved,and not as if we nw hav an accomplished gianluigi buffon in our ranks!! DDG....great shotstopperABSOLUTELY!!! great goalkeeper??NOT YET!!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
Fabville:

The West Ham goal was a close range shot from Carroll, that can beat anyone. Hart may have made a few errors, I guess not more than three. What I look at is goalkeepers overall ability to read the game. His movement off his line to pick corner kicks and crosses before they get to players, his positioning , the way the defenders relax around him, I.e the overall team reliance and dependence on he goalkeeper. For these, Cech and Hart are far ahead of De Gea.

You guys keep mentioning articles. I only used those articles to corroborate my opinion about the goalkeeper. At least I am not the only one who has noticed the lapses. What I saw most times were defenders plus forwards working very hard to ensure no shot gets to the goal. I had a feeling these affected our attack in some instances because balls cleared into play immediately fell to the opponents as United players were mostly in the box. I didn't get to see any other keeper being shielded or protected by two defenders.

Even Gary Nevile said, the defenders would be nervous of what is behind them. I perfectly understood him as he spoke my mind, my worry.

You made mentioned that our defense was weak. Hmmm, I would have agreed, but considering Ferdinand who was voted best central back was in the defence, I wouldn't agree anymore. Ferdinand played more than any other central defender, and he is a master organizer. He paired Evans more than anyone else, Evans is no longer a baby defender in Europe. In my opinion, I think United had a better organized defence than Chelsea.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2013
^^ 3 quick ones I can remember at the top of my head this season alone

5 - Joe Hart has now made five errors leading directly to a goal in the Premier League this season, four more than in 2011-12. Fumble.
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) April 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:35pm On Apr 29, 2013
^^ Come on when Hart and co make mistakes it part of what makes them great. DDG is to be judged by a different standard.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 7:59pm On Apr 29, 2013
I tink fergie should attempt signing tarabt from qpr naw dat dey are relegated..I tink in no go cost 2 much money...and av also bin watching dis bryan of a guy from fulham..dat guy sabi o...we seriously nid 2 reinforce our midfield dis summer
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fabville: 9:33pm On Apr 29, 2013
dademola: baba, 4gt articles here. wen ddg was parrying shots to d paths of unrushing strikers for a couple of weeks nko??isnt it an open secret dt DDG isnt too comfortable with arial balls into d box?? Dnt get i twisted oo, i cldnt be more impressed with d prgress d boi has made over d past 10mnths, bt if der r areas of his game dt nid improvement, dey shud be pointed out, and even fergie attested to dis fact in a nmbr of interviews.i think man utd fans shud see his inclusion into d team- of- d- yr list more as a recognition of hw well he has improved,and not as if we nw hav an accomplished gianluigi buffon in our ranks!! DDG....great shotstopperABSOLUTELY!!! great goalkeeper??NOT YET!!!!

I did not say De Gea has arrived or is now "an accomplished gianluigi buffon". When this argument came up here, i said he has improved a lot from last season and statistics supported that. I also said we have to take into consideration that he is new in EPL compared to where he's coming from. EPL is more physical and they play a lot of crosses into the 18 yard box. I said that we need to give him time to adapt and adjust to the system of play in England instead of criticizing him the way some fans were critical of him. As for me he is still learning and he's not yet a finished product but he has improved tremendously. This is his second season and he is already in PFA team of the season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fabville: 10:51pm On Apr 29, 2013
elampiro:

The West Ham goal was a close range shot from Carroll, that can beat anyone. Hart may have made a few errors, I guess not more than three. What I look at is goalkeepers overall ability to read the game. His movement off his line to pick corner kicks and crosses before they get to players, his positioning , the way the defenders relax around him, I.e the overall team reliance and dependence on he goalkeeper. For these, Cech and Hart are far ahead of De Gea.

You guys keep mentioning articles. I only used those articles to corroborate my opinion about the goalkeeper. At least I am not the only one who has noticed the lapses. What I saw most times were defenders plus forwards working very hard to ensure no shot gets to the goal. I had a feeling these affected our attack in some instances because balls cleared into play immediately fell to the opponents as United players were mostly in the box. I didn't get to see any other keeper being shielded or protected by two defenders.

Even Gary Nevile said, the defenders would be nervous of what is behind them. I perfectly understood him as he spoke my mind, my worry.

You made mentioned that our defense was weak. Hmmm, I would have agreed, but considering Ferdinand who was voted best central back was in the defence, I wouldn't agree anymore. Ferdinand played more than any other central defender, and he is a master organizer. He paired Evans more than anyone else, Evans is no longer a baby defender in Europe. In my opinion, I think United had a better organized defence than Chelsea.

You are only looking for a way to excuse Hart from that school boy error. De Gea have made a lot of point-blank saves this season irrespective of whether it is from close range or not. If he reads the game so well as you have claimed, why didn't he position himself well to prevent the ball entering his 'Toros'? The errors Hart made this season is more than three.

I don't believe in whatever anybody says, i believe in statistics and statistics are facts.

I didn't say our defense was weak. I only said that at the beginning of the season, our defense line was not stable because of injuries. A defense that had Carrick as a central defender at some point. A defense that kept changing week in week out will always open the goalie to so many goals because there will be no understanding. What makes a good defense is good defenders and stability. I am not doubting the ability of Rio. He started 25 games, Jonny Evans 19 games while Vidic played 16 games. He is the most consistent and regular out of the four central defenders we have. These are the kind of things that will make a goalkeeper concede goals anyhow.

"most times were defenders plus forwards working very hard to ensure no shot gets to the goal. I had a feeling these affected our attack in some instances because balls cleared into play immediately fell to the opponents as United players were mostly in the box"
I do not believe this because Man Utd scored the most goals from open play in EPL this season. They scored 50 goals from open play and if they are "too shielding their goalie" then they wouldn't have been able to score that amount of goals from open play.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by 1025: 11:46pm On Apr 29, 2013
wow, what a good news for the red devils and their fans. howard webb has been appointed for the game vs chelsea on sunday. up man uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. your ref is back.
winning a game especially vs chelsea is a big issue without howard webb and mark clattenberg.
must these two special refs be involved whenever a big team is involved?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:12am On Apr 30, 2013
elampiro:

close range shot and the ball went between hart's legs? are you shïtting me? how much more of hart's änus would you lick just to save your face? over here, we put our hands up when we make a bad call. this is why we all paid tributes to ruudie with the lewandowski angle - he was the only one that called it some 14 months ago.

isn't that the job of the midfield? united conceded the most shots in the top 6, is that de gea's fault? you are just talking rubbish whilst trying to save face. other teams use natural defensive midfielders(destroyers), united have carrick(a deep-lying playmaker) to dictate the play and cut out opponents through interceptions and we often partnered carrick with misfits like giggs and jones.

and fergie called gary neville an idïot when he made that statement. in the same match, schmeichel said without de gea, the score would have been 4-1 to spurs. he made 3 world class saves to keep the scoreline respectable!

united had a better organised defence than chelsea? you must have watched your football upside down. compute the number of shots conceded by both teams and get back to me. chelsea protected their goalkeeper more than united did. shots conceded is the determinant.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 12:59pm On Apr 30, 2013
1025: wow, what a good news for the red devils and their fans. howard webb has been appointed for the game vs chelsea on sunday. up man uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. your ref is back.
winning a game especially vs chelsea is a big issue without howard webb and mark clattenberg.
must these two special refs be involved whenever a big team is involved?
no be dis guy wey dey cry 4 chelsea thread d day city beat dem be dis??instead of u 2 be begging us mae we allow u qualify 4 champions league... u come here dey talk rubbish abi u no know sae we no nid una match again??beg like arsenal so we go play draw wit una..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
coogar:

close range shot and the ball went between hart's legs? are you shïtting me? how much more of hart's änus would you lick just to save your face? over here, we put our hands up when we make a bad call. this is why we all paid tributes to ruudie with the lewandowski angle - he was the only one that called it some 14 months ago.

isn't that the job of the midfield? united conceded the most shots in the top 6, is that de gea's fault? you are just talking rubbish whilst trying to save face. other teams use natural defensive midfielders(destroyers), united have carrick(a deep-lying playmaker) to dictate the play and cut out opponents through interceptions and we often partnered carrick with misfits like giggs and jones.

and fergie called gary neville an idïot when he made that statement. in the same match, schmeichel said without de gea, the score would have been 4-1 to spurs. he made 3 world class saves to keep the scoreline respectable!

united had a better organised defence than chelsea? you must have watched your football upside down. compute the number of shots conceded by both teams and get back to me. chelsea protected their goalkeeper more than united did. shots conceded is the determinant.

I knew you were going to write again because you like argument too much. And your style of argument needs plenty of time devotion. Obviously no one can keep pace with that except there has to be another Coogar. I also think you can be more polite in your writing.

On the topic, let everyone keep his/her opinion as we can never reach a compromise on this. It only tells why coaches adopt different pattern, and sometimes different players in the same team. If Mourinho were to come to United today, some of our supposed best players might not find it easy again. Same if another coach had to come, some other players may not find favour with his pattern.

Here we don't think anything good in Jones playing midfield, some other forum think if not for him we wouldn't survive the big matches. In some cases, I agreed. Like the Everton game, he was marvelous. But Carrick and Cleverly paired in most matches more than any.

Carrick is said to be the best defensive midfielder while Ferdinand the best defender. To me this means we had the best defence protecting the goalkeeper. We are now looking at PFA rating. When it come to shot at goal, a lot of opponents were only trying their luck in De Gea cause they knew he is still learning, that is the reason there were so many shots at goal. Most of them were from far withou much threat. No one would unnecessarily try Hart or Cech that way.

I don't intend to argue this too much because PFA have spoken. So we take it that the players selected are the best this season. If I had to continue my argument it won't end, because I will also want to compare Carrick and Toure. As for Ferdinand, I am not a fan of his deep defensive style and sluggish play, though I still hold him to a high esteem.

Lest I forget, whenever United conceded a penalty, what do you usually see around De Gea? How many EPL does that happen to? You see two or three players (Carrick, Welbeck and Rooney) always shielding him. And if a header eventually comes through it has to be Rafael, RVP or Evra clearing from goal line while De Gea turns a spectator. Anyone watching our matches regularly should know what I am talking about.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:30pm On Apr 30, 2013
FACT: Man Utd are now the only team not to concede a penalty in the League this season and the only team not to receive a red card.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed he has plans in place to improve his Manchester United squad in the summer.

He is convinced he has the players at the club to provide a solid foundation for the next five years but is still keen to add quality where possible.

"You have to look at the structure of the club at present, in terms of the number of first-team players we have at 23 or under,

"David De Gea, Rafael, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Alex Büttner, Nick Powell, Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck, Shinji Kagawa and Chicharito are 24. Jonny Evans is 25 and Wayne Rooney is hitting his peak at 27.

"Older players like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand may be coming towards the end of their careers, but these younger players are the foundation for the next five or six years, irrespective of the players breaking through, like Adnan Januzaj, the Belgian boy, who's really looking very good.

"Hopefully the players we bring into the club in the next year or so will be of the quality we need. We're competitive in the market - we're not Chelsea or Manchester City in terms of money but we're competitive.

We've been doing a bit of work on that over the last three or four months, targeting who the players are that we feel could enhance us, make us better or help us maintain the level we're at." <Source: Skysports>
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2013
Fabville:

You are only looking for a way to excuse Hart from that school boy error. De Gea have made a lot of point-blank saves this season irrespective of whether it is from close range or not. If he reads the game so well as you have claimed, why didn't he position himself well to prevent the ball entering his 'Toros'? The errors Hart made this season is more than three.

I don't believe in whatever anybody says, i believe in statistics and statistics are facts.

I didn't say our defense was weak. I only said that at the beginning of the season, our defense line was not stable because of injuries. A defense that had Carrick as a central defender at some point. A defense that kept changing week in week out will always open the goalie to so many goals because there will be no understanding. What makes a good defense is good defenders and stability. I am not doubting the ability of Rio. He started 25 games, Jonny Evans 19 games while Vidic played 16 games. He is the most consistent and regular out of the four central defenders we have. These are the kind of things that will make a goalkeeper concede goals anyhow.

"most times were defenders plus forwards working very hard to ensure no shot gets to the goal. I had a feeling these affected our attack in some instances because balls cleared into play immediately fell to the opponents as United players were mostly in the box"
I do not believe this because Man Utd scored the most goals from open play in EPL this season. They scored 50 goals from open play and if they are "too shielding their goalie" then they wouldn't have been able to score that amount of goals from open play.

Statistics don't tell it all. A goal keeper might save 10 weak shots as against another who saved 4 dangerous close range or dangerous shot. Still, a goalkeeper may have failed to prevent a danger from a crossing into his box, then he manages to save a threat from the resulting play, that will count as a plus. Whereas the other who moved off his line all the way to pick a corner kick had saved his team from unnecessary stress. The statistic might be against the latter, but he is the better 'manager' of his office (he is in charge of his area).

Also, you should know Chelsea too have not had a stable backline this season.

Lastly, if statistics were all in Bale shouldn't have won the best player. Perhaps, they considered his effort in helping the overall build up to attack. He also has some solos. Another argument against statistics is Mikel style of play. I am sure he has the best pass rate in the EPL over the years, but his pattern is mostly of trying to keep it safe. If I were a coach, I would prefer risk takers and adventurous like Toure. Toure may sometimes lose possession but everyone can see how much his game is worth. I also like Ramires and Louis. I love it when Ramires breaks and goes on a long drive into the opponents area.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Emperoh(m): 2:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
elampiro:

I knew you were going to write again because you like argument too much. And your style of argument needs plenty of time devotion. Obviously no one can keep pace with that except there has to be another Coogar. I also think you can be more polite in your writing.

On the topic, let everyone keep his/her opinion as we can never reach a compromise on this. It only tells why coaches adopt different pattern, and sometimes different players in the same team. If Mourinho were to come to United today, some of our supposed best players might not find it easy again. Same if another coach had to come, some other players may not find favour with his pattern.

Here we don't think anything good in Jones playing midfield, some other forum think if not for him we wouldn't survive the big matches. In some cases, I agreed. Like the Everton game, he was marvelous. But Carrick and Cleverly paired in most matches more than any.

Carrick is said to be the best defensive midfielder while Ferdinand the best defender. To me this means we had the best defence protecting the goalkeeper. We are now looking at PFA rating. When it come to shot at goal, a lot of opponents were only trying their luck in De Gea cause they knew he is still learning, that is the reason there were so many shots at goal. Most of them were from far withou much threat. No one would unnecessarily try Hart or Cech that way.

I don't intend to argue this too much because PFA have spoken. So we take it that the players selected are the best this season. If I had to continue my argument it won't end, because I will also want to compare Carrick and Toure. As for Ferdinand, I am not a fan of his deep defensive style and sluggish play, though I still hold him to a high esteem.

Lest I forget, whenever United conceded a penalty, what do you usually see around De Gea? How many EPL does that happen to? You see two or three players (Carrick, Welbeck and Rooney) always shielding him. And if a header eventually comes through it has to be Rafael, RVP or Evra clearing from goal line while De Gea turns a spectator. Anyone watching our matches regularly should know what I am talking about.

I am not sure i get the bolded part of your post. But i assume you mean corner kick?

Most time, i feel the DDG criticism is unfounded. Maybe you are being hounded by the fear of his earlier United career mistakes when you say you fret when the ball is floated into our box. Now, no one takes cognizance of the countless corners he's caught or defended. You see, there's this thing about impression sticking even when it is not so. That is why because DDG made errors or was know for early EPL career errors, any new one is immediately tied to the former. Can the same be said of GKs like VDS who despite being so good had his shyte moments.

I can't count how many times the ball went in through Hart's 'kolo' yet, no one is raising dusts. I understand your concern as a united fan but i kind of feel it is misplaced. I am not sure where you argument is placed but if you are acquiescing because PFA said so then it means you need more to be convinced. That being said, let us use the statistics used for other players to assess DDG and see what it gives. At least that won't lie. If we are to eliminate the saves he made which would have been goals, guess what, we may not have won the league by now or we will even be struggling to.

As for the corners, it can beat any keeper. I have seen many balls cleared off the line. With your argument, it means that any ball cleared off the line is the keeper's fault without analysing how those balls came and what a defender could have done to keep it off. By your assessment, will it be harsh then to assume that for being a United keeper, DDG should not concede goals?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:45pm On Apr 30, 2013
elampiro:

i do not like argument - i only resent intransigent souls like yourself who put forward conjectures to back your claims after being found out.

this does not explain why you think de gea has performed worse than cech or hart! you have resorted to your usual nonsense again to mask your weak arguments! what has different managers and different styles got to do with the role of a goalkeeper? formations and tactics do not involve goalkeepers. 4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, etc do not involve goalkeepers - so your point above is null and void!

which other forums? your facebook forums filled with plastic football fans? how many games did united win this season with jones playing in the midfield? did jones play in the midfield in stamford bridge? etihad? st james' park? big games my foot!

another weak argument - carrick as the best midfielder and rio being one of the best centre-halves means we have a good defence? as if those 2 can effectively prevent a goalkeeper from conceding........how many shots from outside the box did united concede in comparison to shots inside the box? you are just making conjectures over and over again. the era of de gea getting tested with long range shots was in his debut season - that era is long gone. his supposed weakness is commanding his box in aerial assault situations and that is within the penalty box(not outside)!

PFA award is mostly a popularity contest......
apart from baines, de gea, suarez, RVP, bale and mata, the other players on that list are easily debatable!

conceded a penalty or a corner kick?
why won't you put players around him when opponents put players in front of him to hinder his jump? you mean city don't put defenders around hart and chelsea players don't protect cech? other clubs don't put men on either post to make goal line clearances? lololololol. you really need to brush up your football intelligence.

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (14218) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.