Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,048 members, 7,814,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (707) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4435303 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (704) (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 11:59am On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

It's unfortunate that you mentioned me, am a Nigerian and living in Nigeria, only visited UK in 2016 and regretted the adventure so I know nothing about dollars am comfortable with naira. You only bother if you live a cross boarder life. With no plans of living Naija, I have a billion naira projection by 2030. Then I will retire to enjoy my 120m annually, 10m monthly. So you can keep calculating your dollars. As at this morning, a dollar is 360 so all calculations failed and might continue to fail.

I know this is a Tbills thread, but care to share the adventure in question?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 12:43pm On Feb 26, 2019
BlackAfrican:
Hello guys...

Will appreciate if anyone can advise me before I take wrong step and later regret...

First, I'm thinking of going into TB investment...

The real issue is my cash holdings is mainly in dollars... Let's say 75% dollars and 25% naira...

Is it wise to convert my dollar holdings into naira then invest in TBs?

What percentage of my dollar holdings will you advise me to convert to naira?

Bear in mind, I plan to use the dollars 2 years from now...

Thanks guys

Cc:

Barrytone
Just2endowed2
Flexyrule
the problem is we can perfectly predict when a massive devalution will occur which might half you holdings when converting back to naira...unless you intend doing every 3 months the convert to dollars

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 12:43pm On Feb 26, 2019
BlackAfrican:
Hello guys...

Will appreciate if anyone can advise me before I take wrong step and later regret...

First, I'm thinking of going into TB investment...

The real issue is my cash holdings is mainly in dollars... Let's say 75% dollars and 25% naira...

Is it wise to convert my dollar holdings into naira then invest in TBs?

What percentage of my dollar holdings will you advise me to convert to naira?

Bear in mind, I plan to use the dollars 2 years from now...

Thanks guys

Cc:

Barrytone
Just2endowed2
Flexyrule

Should i Convert all funds, convert little? These are questions nobody has a definite answer to. The game of forex in Nigeria is a penalty kicks ( it's a no man game),people can analyze situations that could favor or Mar naira but they can't be certain. If ur investments are in Nigeria, invest in Nigeria n if you plan ur investments in Abroad, they should remain there. You can split the funds into two then do some dollars investments here in Nigeria or abroad with half and do half in nairas. But if you believe in Nigeria like me put all funds in Naira. Gob bless Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 12:51pm On Feb 26, 2019
skyangel:

Thanks for this update. Thank God i didn't go to Stanbic today.

Gtb got sweet rates today

84 days 10.85%
175 days 13%
357 days 14.75%

Good afternoon to all the gurus in the house. I will be very grateful if anyone with today's TB secondary market rates for GT bank can advise the house. Many thanks.
It will be helpful as well if members with TB secondary market rates for other banks can similarly advise the house.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 12:58pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

It's unfortunate that you mentioned me, am a Nigerian and living in Nigeria, only visited UK in 2016 and regretted the adventure so I know nothing about dollars am comfortable with naira. You only bother if you live a cross boarder life. With no plans of living Naija, I have a billion naira projection by 2030. Then I will retire to enjoy my 120m annually, 10m monthly. So you can keep calculating your dollars. As at this morning, a dollar is 360 so all calculations failed and might continue to fail.

cheesy can i join the train?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

Seems you misunderstood my post.

I'm in Nigeria... I live in Nigeria... I simply have funds in both dollars and naira... The dollar comes from freelance earnings...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 26, 2019
Akin3891:

Should i Convert all funds, convert little? These are questions nobody has a definite answer to. The game of forex in Nigeria is a penalty kicks ( it's a no man game),people can analyze situations that could favor or Mar naira but they can't be certain. If ur investments are in Nigeria, invest in Nigeria n if you plan ur investments in Abroad, they should remain there. You can split the funds into two then do some dollars investments here in Nigeria or abroad with half and do half in nairas. But if you believe in Nigeria like me put all funds in Naira. Gob bless Nigeria

I'm in Nigeria... I live in Nigeria... I simply have funds in both dollars and naira... The dollar comes from freelance earnings...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 26, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
the problem is we can perfectly predict when a massive devalution will occur which might half you holdings when converting back to naira...unless you intend doing every 3 months the convert to dollars

I don't understand your analysis due to the 4th word in your first sentence...

I'm in Nigeria btw
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 26, 2019
GonFreecss1:

I know this is a Tbills thread, but care to share the adventure in question?
willing to share if only I know what you are asking about.
But if on the billion naira which I think should be of interest to every aspiring billionaire. I drafted a 20yrs plan with nothing less than 500k per month and reinvesting profits. As long as I get my salary then this trend will continue till 2030 and my capital would have crossed the billion mark. We can be billionaires even as a salary earner. I laughed when some people say you can't become a millionaire working as a salary earner. Make a plan today, it's never late.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 1:17pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:
But if on the billion naira which I think should be of interest to every aspiring billionaire. I drafted a 20yrs plan with nothing less than 500k per month and reinvesting profits. As long as I get my salary then this trend will continue till 2030 and my capital would have crossed the billion mark. We can be billionaires even as a salary earner. I laughed when some people say you can't become a millionaire working as a salary earner. Make a plan today, it's never late.

That is if you earn or make up to 500k per month.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 26, 2019
Just2endowed2:

cheesy can i join the train?

Are you earning salary monthly or can you predict your earnings per month or quarterly. If you do then invest everything less feeding and use the interest as pocket money. It's never palatable initially but over time you start making equivalent of your salary and your investment doubles making your interest double and the initial stress eroding. Just be prepared to deprive yourself of basic fun initially. Thank me in few years time.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 26, 2019
BlackAfrican:

Convert them to naira and make money now

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:32pm On Feb 26, 2019
ositadima1:

That is if you earn or make up to 500k per month.

Use the closest benchmark, I used 500k because I was earning 600k then. U cant be earning 50k and dreaming of becoming a billionaire with that, it's possible but will take a longer time. The basic idea is to make triple your earnings as compared to your salary so you never miss your salary work when you retire. If you earn 50k per month, try to make atleast 150k per month before retiring. If you survived with 50k then you will survive with more fun at old age with 150k. Also, note your family burden increases as the family grow till the kids start becoming independent. Start early before the kids demands get hold of you and your salary. If you start early then their increase in needs is cushioned with your increase interest from TBills. I state again that I don't pay school fees from my salary but TBills interest.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

Convert them to naira and make money now

Thanks for your advice.

One question please:

Isn't the interest rate on treasury bills fixed?

I seem to be seeing different quotes from different banks.

Please clarify this for me so I know if I have to search for a better bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 26, 2019
BlackAfrican:

Thanks for your advice.

One question please:

Isn't the interest rate on treasury bills fixed?

I seem to be seeing different quotes from different banks.

Please clarify this for me so I know if I have to search for a better bank
Its not fixed but different with banks. It's bidding and if your banks bid falls at or bellow stop rate then you are considered. Some banks quote very low while some quotes at or close to stop rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

Its not fixed but different with banks. It's bidding and if your banks bid falls at or bellow stop rate then you are considered. Some banks quote very low while some quotes at or close to stop rate

If your bank bids above stop rate does it mean your bid will be rejected meaning you can't invest?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 3:10pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

Thanks for this, I was talking about your adventure in UK you said you regretted. grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by carbon1224(m): 3:35pm On Feb 26, 2019
I hope this election won’t disturb the next stock market for tbills
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 3:49pm On Feb 26, 2019
carbon1224:
I hope this election won’t disturb the next stock market for tbills

I am not sure election will affect anything. Atiku has series of businesses in Nigeria, hence has a lot to lose so, he wouldn't forment trouble.

If it was Buhari that lost, I would have been concerned. Because he could easily cause trouble since he rarely has viable personal businesses that could go down.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 26, 2019
BlackAfrican:

If your bank bids above stop rate does it mean your bid will be rejected meaning you can't invest?
Yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 4:02pm On Feb 26, 2019
Grupo:

I am not sure election will affect anything. Atiku has series of businesses in Nigeria, hence has a lot to lose so, he wouldn't forment trouble.

If it was Buhari that lost, I would have been concerned. Because he could easily cause trouble since he rarely has viable personal businesses that could go down.
what about his cows? He values them more than Atiku values his businesses you know?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by carbon1224(m): 4:12pm On Feb 26, 2019
Please when is the next primary market holding oo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 26, 2019
GonFreecss1:

Thanks for this, I was talking about your adventure in UK you said you regretted. grin

Lol, I traveled Nov 2016, 1 pound was 600 naira then. A glass of beer was 4pounds, that is equivalent of a full crate. That season wasnt too good for a first timer. I spent my vacation indoors in UK which is as good as staying in my house. Generally, it was too dull for my bubbling lifestyle as everybody is always busy with work and no one to show you round. I took a decision, if am not traveling for business then I better enjoy my ever bubbling Naija provided you have the money

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eddyakinrinde(m): 4:45pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

Can you share why you regretted ur adventure to UK pls? If I can learn from it. Not wise for investing?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PresidentBuhari: 5:04pm On Feb 26, 2019
Wetin you i dey talk abvout cow? I dey crase?
I don win am phor za erection wetin again i say make i do.

Aftiku i no sabi how to win am phor erection, na jjc.

All my cows vote am phor me, me i don win.
Nextlevel

OgogoroFreak:
what about his cows? He values them more than Atiku values his businesses you know?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 26, 2019
Stanbic today.
247 days at 13.95%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 6:48pm On Feb 26, 2019
Barrytone:

Lol, I traveled Nov 2016, 1 pound was 600 naira then. A glass of beer was 4pounds, that is equivalent of a full crate. That season wasnt too good for a first timer. I spent my vacation indoors in UK which is as good as staying in my house. Generally, it was too dull for my bubbling lifestyle as everybody is always busy with work and no one to show you round. I took a decision, if am not traveling for business then I better enjoy my ever bubbling Naija provided you have the money

Hmmn... Well said my man. I understand.

Glad to have you back in Naija. grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vexing(m): 7:56pm On Feb 26, 2019
TotoNaRubber:

Haha, the guy is trying his luck, even if he tie rope on the necks of regular TB investors here NOBODY will patronise him.

In a dwindling economy like Nigeria convincing pple to leave what works for them to follow an uncertain company that is not a commercial bank is IMPOSIBLE.

During the time of MMM i had pple telling me from left, right and center invest invest. I thought about it and almost invested N15m, on a second thought i said wait a minute, i told myself i'm well informed, because pple are doing it doesn't mean i should do it, the N10 in your pocket is greater than the N5 million you put in such risky business, i lock up.

Two months later MMM shut down at the december period, i used N500k out of the money i was supposed to invest in MMM to control some punanies from ABJ, LAGOS and enjoy myself.

Today, my TB portfolio has even grown more because i did the right thing. Greed to get richer kills faster than a bullet, these scums will use same money they steal from people to control punanies while the people suffer heart attack.

SafeInvestmentIsTheBestInvestment

Tar, you don't have up to 10million in TB or anywhere else.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Eghuan01: 8:40pm On Feb 26, 2019
valacious:
Stanbic today.
247 days at 13.95%.

Please what was the rate for 300 and something days? Thanks

Please who has GTB bank rates as well?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2019
Eghuan01:

Please what was the rate for 300 and something days? Thanks

Please who has GTB bank rates as well?
14.25% or something like that, didnt pay attention...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by buJu234: 8:56pm On Feb 26, 2019
Hi guys, just came across this, plx don't politicize it. As investors u need information especially from world class sources..

based on the information below; It may b adviceable to still hold on to dollar investment and t.bills but stocks may be risky. .

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-26/a-buhari-win-would-limit-the-growth-rebound-in-nigeria-chart?srnd=premium-africa

A Buhari Win Would Limit the Growth Rebound in Nigeria
By Mark Bohlund
26 February 2019, 17:37 GMT+1
Economic Struggle
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Share Tweet Post Email
In this article
CL1
WTI Crude
55.43USD/bbl.-0.05-0.09%
If President Muhammadu Buhari wins another four-year term it will probably mean more political interference in Nigeria’s economy and slower growth, according to research by Bloomberg Economics. The opening of the Egina offshore oilfield this month and the Dangote refinery next year will deliver a near-term boost, but low capital investment is likely to inhibit growth over the medium term. BE expects Nigeria, Africa’s largest oil producer, to keep losing ground in real GDP per capita against its peers in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Terms of Service
Trademarks Privacy Policy ©2019 Bloomberg L.P. All Rights Reserved

plx no APC vs PDP, but just business thoughts
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 9:29pm On Feb 26, 2019
Lol
Lol x 2
Lol on repeat.

Nothing to prove.

vexing:

Tar, you don't have up to 10million in TB or anywhere else.

(1) (2) (3) ... (704) (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Olif(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.