Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,246 members, 7,836,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! (10789 Views)

The Olodo Guide To Paying Tithe / Your Motive For Paying Tithe / Paying Tithe To Widows And Orphans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by orekinky: 6:33pm On Mar 25, 2012
goshen360:

Who was God talking to in this verse? Who was the man God who refering to? Go study the whole of Malachi from chapter one n come back to answer the question. Malachi had being taken out of context to FRAUD GOD'S ON TITHE.
. Chapter 1 speaks bout Polluted Offerings to God, 2 talked bout Corrupt Priests while 3 speaks bout the Levites( we christians, believers of today) which is today,s church. There is no excuse bout tithing, if you fear God you shall keep his commandments. Pay it get blessed to cater for all your needs.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ben4ever(m): 6:35pm On Mar 25, 2012
That question has crossed my mind a hundred times. I think u shud follow ur mind coz its not d pastor dat will account for ur actions, but urself. Besides the churches of these days are now incorporated. No more missionary services and envangelical journeys.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 6:38pm On Mar 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abeg stop with the idio_tic ramblings . . you are giving me a headache with the many desperate attempts to seem you have something reasonable to offer in this. . . where do you think the storehouse was in Biblical days? It was right there in the Temple you dingbat . . . If you have no clue what you are talking of, it is OK to SHUT the F up!!! Gosh!!!

Biblical tithe no longer applies? Where was that cancelled? Who did it? By whose authority?? Anywho, never mind cause given what you have posted so far, I suspect you are simply looking for others to grab until this silly ideas of yours so you can somehow pretend it legit as a result.

You can chat your course without insult. Ok. Let us open the bible and I will show you how tithes was abolished under the New testament. Only free will giving is instructed to us in the New testament. Ok. Am waiting for you.

Every man as he proposes in his heart, let him give. There is also a place for supporting the gospel and the work of God,but still under free will giving.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Mar 25, 2012
ben4ever: That question has crossed my mind a hundred times. I think u shud follow ur mind coz its not d pastor dat will account for ur actions, but urself. Besides the churches of these days are now incorporated. No more missionary services and envangelical journeys.

that is not true. there are churches worldwide that engage in missionary work. That many choose to focus on the well-known and hip churches does not mean there are no churches even today fervently working in the fields.

And nowhere are you told to pay tithe only if Pastors use it for evangelism or missionary work.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Mar 25, 2012
goshen360:

You can chat your course without insult. Ok. Let us open the bible and I will show you how tithes was abolished under the New testament. Only free will giving is instructed to us in the New testament. Ok. Am waiting for you.

Every man as he proposes in his heart, let him give. There is also a place for supporting the gospel and the work of God,but still under free will giving.

I didn't insult you, simply said you should shut the F up . . since all you seem to be doing is making baseless statements, even to this point.

The bible does not anywhere equate giving tithe with giving to the poor or giving offerings. That is one major lesson anyone who is well versed in scripture would know. Anywhere you say the word Tithe, you almost immediately see that there is emphasis made to ensure people understand it is separate from giving to the poor.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Jem1: 6:44pm On Mar 25, 2012
Jem1: 1. God no longer dwells in houses built with human hands.
2. Jesus said whatsoever you do to the least of my brethren, you do unto me.
3. This means if you want to give directly to Jesus, give to the needy e.g. the orphanage.
4. Giving to the orphanage is giving to Jesus.
5. Jesus didn't pay tithe from wages from carpentary work (Malachi robbing God curse did not apply to him)
6. If he had tried to pay from wages there would be no way to pay cash. (God's law on tithes could not be met by cash)
7. Apostle Peter and the others didn't pay tithe from wages. (Malachi robbing God curse did not apply to them)
8. Early Christians didn't pay tithes from cash (Malachi robbing God curse did not apply to them)
9. Please give to Jesus by giving to the orphans.
10. You will not be under a Malachi curse for giving 10% of your wages to orphans.

I pray that one day, the eyes of my brethren will open cos then they will be free to help their neighbour and be 'good samaritans'. The truth is that very few people have any money left over after meeting the necessities of rent, food, etc if you add tithe (which is not even mandatory) to the mix. Think what you would do with one years tithe if you keep it, you can build boreholes, pay school fees, house rent for widows, etc. Think further if you combine one year's tithe equivalent with your friend/s, Nigeria will be transformed.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by bisi16(m): 6:50pm On Mar 25, 2012
chukwudi44: It is very much in order and in line with the original law of tithe as described in deut 14:22-29 and Deut 26:12

Thanx for this insight. Tithe is actually meant for the needy/poor in the society. Offerings don do for day 2 day running of the church.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Mar 25, 2012
bisi16:

Thanx for this insight. Tithe is actually meant for the needy/poor in the society. Offerings don do for day 2 day running of the church.

Actually, you have it the other way around. The Tithe went to the religious organization itself while the offerings went to helping the needy and the poor. If you are having a problem grasping this then I suggest you visit some Jewish locations for clarification since much of what we have today, came from the Jewish roots of the laws.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ben4ever(m): 6:58pm On Mar 25, 2012
@kobojunkie

Why do u guys allow pastors to hypnotize u guys with that. The new covenant Jesus formed is simple. Learn to serve God in ur fellow man. Why do we keep living in the old testament. ok then if we are truly following the old testament, we should be marrying more than one wife

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 25, 2012
It's better to give your money to the needy than to give those 419 pastors who will use it for their personal and devilish agenda.Eg launching an airline.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2012
ben4ever: @kobojunkie

Why do u guys allow pastors to hypnotize u guys with that. The new covenant Jesus formed is simple. Learn to serve God in ur fellow man. Why do we keep living in the old testament. ok then if we are truly following the old testament, we should be marrying more than one wife

Who said I am hypnotized by any pastor? Abi you no get eyes to read? No pastor has to tell you what is written in Scripture. All of scripture, the one you consider OLd and the one you consider NEW has been translated and continue to be translated into new languages up to this day for a very good reason and that reason has nothing to do with any human being or any pastor you fear or dislike or think low of.

I see you are one of those who pretend that the old testament is no longer valid today . . . .

So, just a thought, does this also mean I can lie and kill all I want since THOU SHALL NOT LIE , and THOU SHALL NOT KILL are in the old testament? And the part of the new testament that talks of believers giving unto God what's is God's is null and void since it talks of something that is in the old testament? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by obagangan: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2012
bring ur tithe to my house is the commamdment, how it is spent is not ur bizness except u are an elder, tressuere. In all u just pay and forget about the rest. that IF U are a tru XTIAN and realy belive HIS words
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by bman2003: 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2012
The LORD says "Bring ye all the tithes into my store house". who are you to monitor how the tithe is spent? it is God's money. satan deceives people to pay their tithes into orphanages, meanwhile God says "bring into my storehouse(church)". you have payed it only when you dropped it in the tithe basket not orphanage. if you payed it into an orphanage, that's an offering not tithe. pls dont allow satan deceive anyone to believe "i must pay only to an orphanage", who are you to say with your mouth that a pastor is eating God's money? how dare you insult God's anointed?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ben4ever(m): 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2012
@kobojunkie

If u love ur neigbour, will u steal from him or her, or perhaps kill him? Its a simple command, yet complex to follow.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 7:11pm On Mar 25, 2012
orekinky: . Chapter 1 speaks bout Polluted Offerings to God, 2 talked bout Corrupt Priests while 3 speaks bout the Levites( we christians, believers of today) which is today,s church. There is no excuse bout tithing, if you fear God you shall keep his commandments. Pay it get blessed to cater for all your needs.

God addresses Israel in the book of Malachi:

Mal 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

And then the priests:

Mal 2:1 And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

Who is addressed here? Israel or the priests?

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

It's obviously the priests who should bring ALL the tithes into the storehouse. But if you have doubts:

Neh 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

The thieves who were robbing God were the priests who were not bringing all the tithes into the storehouse so that they may be meat for whom?

Mal 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

Does this answer your question or you still want us to go deeper?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 25, 2012
going by d latest, dominion airline supposedly owned by some bishop, i wl tel is d rit tin. Catholic has many of such institution,orphanage,leprosy n cancer centres,deaf n dumb even blind schools.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Mar 25, 2012

If u love ur neigbour, will u steal from him or her, or perhaps kill him? Its a simple command, yet complex to follow.

Interesting attempt to ignore the fact that the very person who tells you that you should Love your neighbor also tells you that he has not come to do away with the old testament but in giving you the two greatest commandments, he essentially encapsulates the old in the new, meaning the old still stands, only now in a new package that keeps the old and makes it easier for you to adhere to them. Or does that escape you? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Mar 25, 2012
irongate jnr: going by d latest, dominion airline supposedly owned by some bishop, i wl tel is d rit tin. Catholic has many of such institution,orphanage,leprosy n cancer centres,deaf n dumb even blind schools.

Catholics pay their tithes and the tithe, and offering is what is used to build the leprosy centers, the orphanages etc. Catholics do not give up giving to the church, instead they give the church, and then given extra to any of the other causes they want to.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nosmog(m): 7:15pm On Mar 25, 2012
just do what your heart tells you
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 7:17pm On Mar 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I didn't insult you, simply said you should shut the F up . . since all you seem to be doing is making baseless statements, even to this point.

The bible does not anywhere equate giving tithe with giving to the poor or giving offerings. That is one major lesson anyone who is well versed in scripture would know. Anywhere you say the word Tithe, you almost immediately see that there is emphasis made to ensure people understand it is separate from giving to the poor.

What is the baseless statement am making? That tithe is abolished and no more necessary under the new testament or what? Let us open the bible together if you don't mind and I will show you, TITHE DOES NOT WORK, IT IS ONLY A RELIGIOUS FUNCTION THAT IS NOT NEEDED UNDER THE GRACE ERA WE ARE. FREE WILL GIVING IS WHAT WE ARE TO PRACTICE AND THAT IS WHAT THE POSTER OF THIS THREAD IS DOING. HE HAD PURPOSED IN HIS HEART TO GO GIVE TO THE ORPHANS AND IT IS IN LINE WITH THE NEW TESTAMENT PRACTICE OF GRACE. THIS IS WHERE HE WILL BE BLESSED NOT BY TITHING.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 7:22pm On Mar 25, 2012
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. Gal 5:4

Tithing doesn't work BUT GIVING DOES:

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ben4ever(m): 7:23pm On Mar 25, 2012
when u go to the hospitals, prisons, and even the ghetto, u will see a beta use of the money.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ben4ever(m): 7:31pm On Mar 25, 2012
@kobojunkie
yes, if i may remind u, did u see anything like tithe in the acts of the apostles?
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by AZeD1(m): 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2012
Nicklee: What bugs my mind is the definition of 'giving to God' in this context. How is giving tithe to the church equivalent to giving it to God? And if the answer is yes, then what constitutes a church? Is it when two or three gather in God's name? I have seen churches which are so few that 90% of the membership are the Pastor's family. At what point does a group of persons transform into a church and hence eligible for our tithes? Can I decide to make myself a church (ex. start fellowshiping with my family at home and collecting all the tithes)? At what point does a person (or pastor) become a custodian of the tithes to God?

My take is that New testament Christianity decentralized christian congregation and as such there is no one body that can claim ownership or absolute custodianship of collective contributions like tithes. We all are custodians and out primary responsibility is to our neighbors, needy people right next to us. This doesn't negate the need to give to the church but primarily, our responsibility is to our neighbors.

Also, there is little or no accountability for these sort of contributions. It is easy to assume that the average Nigerian pays about 10% tax to the government. As a result, we expect accountability from government, which we have never seen. Then there is another 10%, almost as much as government takes (atleast from christians) that churches collect and do not account for too. So, 20% of our income gone to unaccountable purses. The system needs some serious overhaul.

All those who say the OP must take his Tithe to the church should please explain the bolded....
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 25, 2012
why not move this talk to religion? or we don too see enough tithe topics for dia?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ujchief(m): 7:42pm On Mar 25, 2012
goshen360: Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. Gal 5:4

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
still wondering where this fits in. Anyway, from ur last paragraph, God can freely giv us all things, when he comanded us to bring our tithe to His house, He did make a wonderful promise, 'test me and see if i'll not open the windows of heaven and pour out my blessings on u'. What a powerful promise, with a great degree of certaintinty from God Himself.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by bman2003: 7:55pm On Mar 25, 2012
goshen360: Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. Gal 5:4

hey, nope dude, all of God's word works. don't say tithing doesn't work. there is a blessing attached to tithing. i am a strong witness to the effects of tithing

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by bman2003: 7:58pm On Mar 25, 2012
yes, if i may remind u, did u see anything like tithe in the acts of the apostles?
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Read your Sword(bible) well. the Corinthian, Philippians and Ephesian Christians were spoken to by Paul concerning tithing/giving
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by sunky644(m): 8:02pm On Mar 25, 2012
Bring all your tithe to the house of the Lord says the word of God. The orphanage is not a house of God, if you don't trust the accountability of the church you attend then you can take it to another Bible believing church that you are sure it will be judiciously spent. As for donating to the orphanage, like someone said you can donate another 10% to them afterall tithing and giving is all about you receiving more Blessing. So the more you give, the more you get...
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by okenwa(m): 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2012
God is not an author of confussion when it comes to his words.
Jesus summarized the law & the prophets by saying '' thou shall love d lord ur God with all ur heart and with all ..............and the second law is like this; thou shall love ur neighbour as urself''
in this two hangs all d laws.
good deeds superceeds all laws,and let us be guided by d facts dat it is d good deed we do dat we will be judged. i gree with dis comments so attached
karpentar:

If tighting is a commandment from God, then, the stipulated process should be strictly adhered to. If pastors abuse privileges, then, God who made the law must have appropriate punishments. This argument is akin to refusing to pay taxes to Nigerian government, simply because the money will be misappropriated. If you do that and get caught, you'll end up in jail.
God is not an author of confussion when it comes to his words.
Jesus summarized the law & the prophets by saying '' thou shall love d lord ur God with all ur heart and with all ..............and the second law is like this; thou shall love ur neighbour as urself''
in this two hangs all d laws.
good deeds superceeds all laws,and let us be guided by d facts dat it is d good deed we do dat we will be judged. i gree with dis comments so attached
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 8:05pm On Mar 25, 2012
ujchief:
still wondering where this fits in. Anyway, from ur last paragraph, God can freely giv us all things, when he comanded us to bring our tithe to His house, He did make a wonderful promise, 'test me and see if i'll not open the windows of heaven and pour out my blessings on u'. What a powerful promise, with a great degree of certaintinty from God Himself.

Indeed God had freely given us ALL things. You are still standing while God had moved.

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 2 Peter 1:3 KJV

How do we receive what had already being GIVEN to us?

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. Luke 6:38 KJV

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matt 7:7 KJV

The blessing of good measure, pressed down and shaking together is no more in tithing, it is in GIVING. Remember, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John is not the begining of new testament. Jesus was instituting orders that will take effect after he died and become a new testament practice, so he instituted GIVING. Where is this new testament of giving after Matthew to John?

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 2 Cor 9:6-7

Our Reward for giving

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: 2 Cor 9:8 KJV
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by KINGwax(m): 8:09pm On Mar 25, 2012
I undstnd your feelings. It affected me too but it'd gone past it a long time. For yrs i don't give my tithe in my church since my pastor rides a very nice car and his family is doing okay. I send my tithe to churches that i knw the pastor needed it most. Especially when i knw his family is jst struggling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Christianity And Jehovah Witness? / Stephen Oni: Buhari Should Not Contest 2019 Election - Says Anglican Bishop / What Has Been Your Unique Experience With Long Fasting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.