Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,163 members, 7,835,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! (10788 Views)

The Olodo Guide To Paying Tithe / Your Motive For Paying Tithe / Paying Tithe To Widows And Orphans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 26, 2012
I see it like this.
1. The bible says my body is the temple of christ - meaning I am the church too.
2. ... and I must pay 10% of all Ive got to the church => temple which is ME wink
I just realized.... Im doing just that shocked. Now can I get an amen.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by zuzuonyi: 9:46am On Mar 26, 2012
chukwudi44: While xtians are enjoined to support their church financially there is no law in bible which stipulates any fixed percentage for them to pay to their churches.The old jewish law of tithe even while in force was not restricted to levites but also widows,strangers and orphans.

Xtians are however enjoined in 2 cor 9:7 to give freely out of their own volition.The jewish law of tithe is no longer in vogue but if you still wish to pay to the orpanages it is very much in order.

I have long held this point of view. But while trying to reason this line with brothers/sister, they always come up with the convenient Old Testament quotes. But then, on some other issues, they tell you that we are on the Grace era (New Testament) and are quick to dump related Old Testament quotes. Isn't that hypocritical?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by mastelbiz: 9:49am On Mar 26, 2012
@ Lucy, as nigerians we should learn to seperate ourselves from our business. Dictate what you salary is and pay your tithe based on 10% of agreed salary. As a business you can then decide to sow special sacrifical seeds as the spirit leads.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Okijajuju1(m): 10:28am On Mar 26, 2012
Babzilla: I see it like this.
1. The bible says my body is the temple of christ - meaning I am the church too.
2. ... and I must pay 10% of all Ive got to the church => temple which is ME wink

Amen Brother!!!
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by ZUBY77(m): 11:53am On Mar 26, 2012
I see many people here saying that tithe is God's money and should be given to him.
I am more interested in how this money gets to God.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 1:40pm On Mar 26, 2012
zuzu-onyi:

I have long held this point of view. But while trying to reason this line with brothers/sister, they always come up with the convenient Old Testament quotes. But then, on some other issues, they tell you that we are on the Grace era (New Testament) and are quick to dump related Old Testament quotes. Isn't that hypocritical?

Exactly what it is. Hypocrisy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Jemibee: 2:31pm On Mar 26, 2012
I strongly feel the way you do but somethg keeps telling me it's wrong. All because Malachi 3: 8-10 "Honour the Lord with your tithe..." God was very clear in this scripture asking that we take our tithes to the church. Whatever that money is being used for is no longer our buisness, because we would have done our own part.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by eva123: 3:44pm On Mar 26, 2012
Give to ceaser, what belongs to ceasar and give to God what belongs to God. It is mandatory to give 10 % of your income to God. If you feel the orphanages need help then you should not use your tithe, else you will not receive the blessings attached to tithe giving.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by eva123: 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2012
cheesy
I see many people here saying that tithe is God's money and should be given to him.
I am more interested in how this money gets to God.

The money is used for God's work and definitely it goes to God. Money can not fall down from heaven to buy the church building, for missionary work, to pay the Man of God, church maintenance ...
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by mastro: 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2012
well since the exact passage is

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

Nowhere in any translation does it say give [b]10% [/b]to the church http://bible.cc/malachi/3-10.htm
and since as pointed out below

zuzu-onyi:

I think you should do God's work and donate to orphanages, please be aware though that it is better to donate in kind rather than cash, and if you can make it a regular thing no matter how small then God will bless you many fold.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by PastorKun(m): 7:50pm On Mar 26, 2012
eva123: Give to ceaser, what belongs to ceasar and give to God what belongs to God. It is mandatory to give 10 % of your income to God. If you feel the orphanages need help then you should not use your tithe, else you will not receive the blessings attached to tithe giving.

Nowhere in the bible is tithes defined as 10% of monetary income. Monetary tithes based on income is a false man made doctrine designed to fleece believers of 10% of their income on a consistent basis. That aside even the biblical tithes instructed to the Jews which is a part of their obsolete laws is not applicable to christians who are living under grace.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 9:29pm On Mar 26, 2012
PLEASE give it to the orphanage.
Who told you it is only if you give to a religious building that God will be pleased with you.

You would be impacting more lives that way and that would matter most to God. God is not "religious". Religion is what man made of things and some with selfish motives.
the whole point of tithing if you read the old testament was not really just for churches, it was for all the needy as well. But, much to my dissapointment, church leaders seem to have colonized things, and unfortunately people don';t read their bibles and just blindly believe what a man says.
I tell you if Jesus came to earth on a Sunday, I doubt he would have the patience to stay in church all day.
He would say "guys, how about we cut this ...thing... short today, and go find a homeless shelter or orphanage to minister to and feed and clothe it's inhabitants. I see much harvest there. Afterwards on the way back we can here a sermon in the bus".

And I can tell you about 70% of church leaders today will say no. Sadly, that was what Jesus was about.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Bolarge1(m): 10:08am On Mar 27, 2012
ALL TITHES GO TO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD WEATHER THE PASTOR NA WITCH NOR WIZARD NOR CORRUPT.

WHAT U PLACED IN THE HOUSE OF THE LORD IS NOTED BY GOD AND HE WILL BLESS YOU FOR IT.

IF YOUR PASTOR MISAPPROPRIATED THE TITHE HE WILL BE PUNISHED BY GOD AND THAT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU.

ANY MONEY THAT GOES TO MOTHERLESS HOME OR TO THE NEEDIES ARE ANOTHER SPECIAL OFFERING FROM YOU THAT ATTRACTS ANOTHER SPECIAL BLESSING. PSALM 44: 1-2.

CHEERS
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Dannyboy1471: 11:37am On Mar 27, 2012
i think its very ok pay tite to ophanage, because those who no one care 4 are the ones the we sopose the care for. beside this days churches are bussiness center so no need add money on top money
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by sunto: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2012
my brother,i believe you have a good motive for the question you ask. GOD IS NOT MOCK will advice you to read (HEBREWS 7:1-28 ) PLEASE try to read the hole chapter read it till you understand.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Fhemmmy: 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2012
sunto: my brother,i believe you have a good motive for the question you ask. GOD IS NOT MOCK will advice you to read (HEBREWS 7:1-28 ) PLEASE try to read the hole chapter read it till you understand.

Amen to that
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 28, 2012
@op. Take your time, understand this message.

Be A Giver

God is a giver and desires His children to be givers. Giving is
the opposite of selfishness. Giving is love in action. And God
blesses those who give.

LUKE 6:38 NIV
38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed
down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into
your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to
you."

PROVERBS 3:9-10 NKJ
9 Honor the Lord with your possessions, and with the
firstfruits of all your increase;
10 So your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will
overflow with new wine.

MATTHEW 10:42 NIV
42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these
little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he
will certainly not lose his reward."

2 CORINTHIANS 9:6-8 NIV
6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap
sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap
generously.
7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to
give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a
cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in
all things at all times, having all that you need, you will
abound in every good work.

HEBREWS 6:10 NIV
10 God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love
you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue
to help them.

LUKE 12:33 NIV
33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses
for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven
that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no
moth destroys.

ACTS 20:35 NIV
35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard
work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord
Jesus himself said: `It is more blessed to give than to
receive.'"

God designed His system with incentives to encourage people to
give. He has promised to bless those who give, both now and in
the age to come.

God bless you
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Ignatio(m): 10:56pm On Mar 28, 2012
Babzilla: I see it like this.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 11:16pm On Mar 28, 2012
My recent study on tithe again shows that, In the Old Testament God asked from Israelites during the Pre-Church era to bring a certain amount, 10% (tithe) not from monetary substance though but from agricultural produce but in the New Testament, God that saved us through Christ never asked for a certain amount, he simply commanded us to give.

He gave us His Spirit through Christ and simply asked us to give without restricting us to a certain amount of 10%. He asked us to give freely, cheerfully, without grudges. Simply put, the law had changed from being a tither to a giver.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On Mar 29, 2012
goshen360: My recent study on tithe again shows that, In the Old Testament God asked from Israelites during the Pre-Church era to bring a certain amount, 10% (tithe) not from monetary substance though but from agricultural produce but in the New Testament, God that saved us through Christ never asked for a certain amount, he simply commanded us to give.

He gave us His Spirit through Christ and simply asked us to give without restricting us to a certain amount of 10%. He asked us to give freely, cheerfully, without grudges. Simply put, the law had changed from being a tither to a giver.

Where did you study?
It is like you are driving a Toyota Camry and you are referring to the manual of an Honda Accord to fix the machine, it wont work.
The Bible is the book of advice, lecture and discipline from God through His spirit and where in that book do you see that?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On Mar 29, 2012
goshen360: My recent study on tithe again shows that, In the Old Testament God asked from Israelites during the Pre-Church era to bring a certain amount, 10% (tithe) not from monetary substance though but from agricultural produce but in the New Testament, God that saved us through Christ never asked for a certain amount, he simply commanded us to give.

Where in the bible do we read such change?
Also, we have always been giver, so being a giver do not take away from being a tither . . .
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 3:47pm On Mar 29, 2012
Fhemmmy:

[color=#990000]Where did you study?
It is like you are driving a Toyota Camry and you are referring to the manual of an Honda Accord to fix the machine, it wont work.
The Bible is the book of advice, lecture and discipline from God through His spirit and where in that book do you see that?
[/color]

I study because the same word of God tells me to STUDY. It's not the same as just reading. Though reading and studying are inseperable but Study takes you deeper. You are searching the deep things. I guess you are not a study of the word and you cant even tell that the word of God tells us to STUDY.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 tim 2:15 KJV

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, John 5:39 NIV

Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. Acts 17:11 NIV

Imagine as heavy as Apostle Paul was, he taught and the Bereans still have to search or study to see if what Paul taught was true. Our Christian generation today are soooooo lazy that they just swallow whatever that comes from the pulpit and from any man. I AM NOT THAT KIND BRO.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 4:01pm On Mar 29, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Where in the bible do we read such change?
Also, we have always been giver, so being a giver do not take away from being a tither . . .

To ask me where in the bible do we read such Law that changed tithe? Again, You probably are not a student of the bible. I dont mean insult though. Now let me show you:

Read Heb 7: 1 to 16. Your answer to change of law of tithing is in verse 11 to 14 (Emphasis on v 11-14). In the OT, God asked for and was specific about tithing being 10% and not monetary, even though money existed then but in NT, he simply wants us to give and give aboundantly, freely, cheerfully and without grudges, God didn't restrict us to certain percentage unlike tithing. It is religious act to still tithe. Why is it only tithe that the religious people take out of the OT and not other things? Why? Cant you answer that.

Am waiting sir.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Excuzeme: 12:23am On May 22, 2012
^^^^^^Oouch! I see that you still being kept WAITING!

Oro p'asi jee! (An unanswerable Kwesion grin )
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Goshen360(m): 3:34am On May 22, 2012
^
lolz. Almost 2 months and still waiting.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by PastorKun(m): 7:38am On May 22, 2012
Goshen360: ^
lolz. Almost 2 months and still waiting.

Bros you would wait till the second coming of our lord before you get an answer to tht kweshion grin

Answer is obvious though they won't admit it, the pimps preaching tithes are making money from it. Put simply it is a money making venture and probably the most successful and longest standing scam in the history of mankind.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by SisBrenda(f): 3:29pm On May 22, 2012
Dear sir,

Many have raised quite reasonable arguments and I was almost convinced. But my humble advise is to give to an actual church. You may like me be not interested in seeing "airlines" and universities for the rich built from your hard earned money. Am more for the church that gives back a lot more than my 10 cents to causes which are close to my heart. And in true demonstration of Gods love. Praying for an orphan is not enough you must give also to them.

I have since moved from Winners and have nothing against them but we are just not on the same page here. So I have flipped to a more suiting page. As someone once said to me 'what's the point of having a mind if I can't change it?'

Am afraid you have to give to a church. Find one and give don't miss heaven for 10% Find a church and give there. But also give to the Orphans. God bless.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by PastorKun(m): 3:41pm On May 22, 2012
SisBrenda: Dear sir,

Am afraid you have to give to a church. Find one and give don't miss heaven for 10% Find a church and give there. But also give to the Orphans. God bless.

Kindly quote one scripture in proper context that says chritians have to give a tithe or 10% to a church as a condition for going to heaven.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by SisBrenda(f): 10:25pm On May 27, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Kindly quote one scripture in proper context that says chritians have to give a tithe or 10% to a church as a condition for going to heaven.

If you cared to read the post I categorically stated that I was giving MY OPINION! How did your pastorness miss that one?
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by PastorKun(m): 10:51pm On May 27, 2012
SisBrenda:

If you cared to read the post I categorically stated that I was giving MY OPINION! How did your pastorness miss that one?

Well christian doctrine is not about personal opinions, it is about the un diluted and un twisted word of God. It is very wrong to teach 'opinions' as the word of God and lead other believers astray.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 7:05am On May 28, 2012
Tithe to a church. Give generously and freely to orphanage etc.

For those who want to discourage you from tithing, do not worry i found myself in the same soup but God delivered me.

As a brother already directed you to Hebrews chapter 7, please read as he advice.

While reading also check what happened before the law that anti-tithers hold their justifications to;

Before the Law:

- Abraham, the first great patriarch , gave tithes centuries before the Law of Moses (Genesis 14).
- Poor Jacob, the father of the Twelve tribes of Isreal gave his tithes also before the law of Moses (Genesis 28:22)

During the Law:

The Children of Isreal where commanded to tithe

- Leviticus, Numbers etc

Jesus also uphold the principle of tithing during His ministry but i want you to see what Apostle Paul had to say about it:

Read 1Corinthians chapter 9 where Paul teaches on the financial support of the church, now see what he says in verse 8 "'Does not the Law say the same things""
(He is referring to the law of Moses and how the priest lived on tithes and offerings).

From the tithe History you can see that tithing was voluntary on the part of Abraham for example and his tithe was approved by him ""öf whom it is witness that he liveth""

I am out of the anti tithing camp and i have found peace. God revealed it to me. I pray he reveals it to anyone who sincerely seeks to know the truth about Tithing
We should not be decieved, God is not mocked.
Re: Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently! by Nobody: 7:30am On May 28, 2012
Read your bible and you will know that tithes was not meant for the poor but for the Levites who worked at the temple

bisi16:

Thanx for this insight. Tithe is actually meant for the needy/poor in the society. Offerings don do for day 2 day running of the church.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Christianity And Jehovah Witness? / Stephen Oni: Buhari Should Not Contest 2019 Election - Says Anglican Bishop / What Has Been Your Unique Experience With Long Fasting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.