Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,496 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (28305 Views)

UNILAG Students Arrested For Attempting To Resurrect Colleague..see Pictures / Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG / ASUU Introduces ‘UNILAG Forever’ Badge To Discredit Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 6:31am On May 30, 2012
rhymz: dude, the claim of Abiola graduating with a first class is BS. I am yet to see a recognize source with such claims, so far, what I have seen are different accounts of what he studied and got a 1st class for. Some say economics, another says account then there is another claim of management. . . Guy, these larger than life discriptions show it is all about embelishment jare!! The man was a politician remember He can spin his story anyway he wants.

The fact that Abiola studied Accounting (not economics) and graduated with a first class was publicly known by informed people BEFORE he joined politics in the second republic. It did not start today.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Babakenny(m): 6:33am On May 30, 2012
porka:

First time I am hearing people chose school because of the name, i.e. Alphabetical name and not name as in reputation or brand.

This seems to be the main and only reason the students are on the edge.

In that case, then they lack self esteem.

People build name.

People make name sexy.

Human beings build brands, brands don't built people.

It is not the other way round.

What is sexy in ordinary Bush?

What is "tooch" about Aliko Dangote ordinarily?

What is so romantic about Obama?

What is the big deal about Gates?

I mean, who would want to name his/her child Laggard?

It is part of Africans obsession with mundane things.

No one has even mentioned the financial cost of the name change.

From the letter head to the sign-post, to the website.

All you hear is "Akokites" as if the Uni has been taken from Akoka.

I actually don't know why these students cannot "tooch the name it up" if they are really that "tooch"
porka:

First time I am hearing people chose school because of the name, i.e. Alphabetical name and not name as in reputation or brand.

This seems to be the main and only reason the students are on the edge.

In that case, then they lack self esteem.

People build name.

People make name sexy.

Human beings build brands, brands don't built people.

It is not the other way round.

What is sexy in ordinary Bush?

What is "tooch" about Aliko Dangote ordinarily?

What is so romantic about Obama?

What is the big deal about Gates?

I mean, who would want to name his/her child Laggard?

It is part of Africans obsession with mundane things.

No one has even mentioned the financial cost of the name change.

From the letter head to the sign-post, to the website.

All you hear is "Akokites" as if the Uni has been taken from Akoka.

I actually don't know why these students cannot "tooch the name it up" if they are really that "tooch"
Chyvy: [ quote author=Goldenheart]aftermath of consuming cassava bread........ grin.

grin grin

I don't blame u. Its cos u failed to secure admission to that school. Have u forgotten that NAME has the power to command many things? Oh no! u don't knw this.

Besides, u can't attend the school cos ur Jamb score was low. I attended this school before mobile telecoms start operating and that was before year 2001.

You must be exceptionally brilliant to secure an admission into Unilag at that time and not now that u guys need a figure to be admitted to ur local schools. Go figure!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 6:45am On May 30, 2012
kildran:

Dude u must be very misinformed, everyone knows MKO was very brilliant. He was always amongst the top three students in classes he attended. U think na by beans to come from nowhere and be a multimillionaire in dollars?

It's rather ironic that the 'very misinformed' person here is yourself. You have obviously read my post upside down. You may want to go over it again in order to understand the correct perspective.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Murphy7h4: 8:02am On May 30, 2012
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 8:05am On May 30, 2012
Are these really UNILAG students i am seeing on those you tube videos, they look more like touts and area boys than students, i remember years ago when i was in UI, Lag students were known as fine boyz no pimples, now they look hungry and unkept. Omo suffer they Naija o, thank God i got the heck out of dodge, even the girls look like two dollar whores.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 8:18am On May 30, 2012
[b][/b]Imagin renaming UNIVERSITY OF PORTHARCOURT to PETER ODILI UNVERSITY, I will personally Bomb the school myself.
NOW its OBVIOUS That MKO ABIOLA is not a good Name, My Yoruba Brothers confirm this grin A Yoruba Name for a Yoruba Scool whats the problem, or is he a criminal, just asking lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by safarigirl(f): 8:23am On May 30, 2012
Na wa Jonah. New Year's day, we slept and woke up and heard fuel subsidy has been removed. Democracy day, we woke up to the change of name of UniLag. At this rate, on independence day, Nigerians will wake up to the discovery that the country has been sold to China. Let us also not forget that another Nigerian university bears the initaials MAU- MADONNA UNIVERSITY. We need not get ahead of ourselves in the name of giving honour, lest we cause confusion.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 8:38am On May 30, 2012
femmyb: Are these really UNILAG students i am seeing on those you tube videos, they look more like touts and area boys than students, i remember years ago when i was in UI, Lag students were known as fine boyz no pimples, now they look hungry and unkept. Omo suffer they Naija o, thank God i got the heck out of dodge, even the girls look like two dollar whores.
u are funny,isn't it unilag that you pay 150k to runs admission?isn't it unilag that boasts of the highest number of ashi's and aristo,isn't it in unilag you see yahoo boys showing off,isn't it in unilag that lecture halls turn to red light districts after 7.pm?isn't it in unilag you see 99 people convocate with 1st class?
Guy bone this school is running on old glory,it is just hyped u cant compare d quality of unilag to U.I they just enter der 4 name,efisee and swag.
As an accounting student a neighbour in unilag(300 level) studying engineering could not explain calculus to me when writing my exam in 200l.unilag was better when it produced academicians and proffessionals in the 70's and 80's unlike now where they produce a lot of celebrities.
femmyb: Are these really UNILAG students i am seeing on those you tube videos, they look more like touts and area boys than students, i remember years ago when i was in UI, Lag students were known as fine boyz no pimples, now they look hungry and unkept. Omo suffer they Naija o, thank God i got the heck out of dodge, even the girls look like two dollar whores.
u are funny,isn't it unilag that you pay 150k to runs admission?isn't it unilag that boasts of the highest number of ashi's and aristo,isn't it in unilag you see yahoo boys showing off,isn't it in unilag that lecture halls turn to red light districts after 7.pm?isn't it in unilag you see 99 people convocate with 1st class?
Guy bone this school is running on old glory,it is just hyped u cant compare d quality of unilag to U.I they just enter der 4 name,efisee and swag.
As an accounting student a neighbour in unilag(300 level) studying engineering could not explain calculus to me when writing my exam in 200l.unilag was better when it produced academicians and proffessionals in the 70's and 80's unlike now where they produce a lot of celebrities.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by dmjoguns: 8:47am On May 30, 2012
GEJ and his team are siicc...k. UNILAG is an iconic brand name known all over the world; and has been built for over 50 years. How do you pull down a 50 year old legacy. That name MAU is not even fitting. Also there already exist Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MaPoly) in ogun state. why duplicate names. let him name a National stadium after MKO. GEJ is not fit to be a president. His one year of office is full of scandal, corruption, wickedness, and terrorism.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Hunkygee: 9:01am On May 30, 2012
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.
-Willian Shakespeare.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rhymz(m): 9:35am On May 30, 2012
Pukkah:

The fact that Abiola studied Accounting (not economics) and graduated with a first class was publicly known by informed people BEFORE he joined politics in the second republic. It did not start today.
publicly known or public propaganda? Lmao!!! Guy go and verify your claims jor. Abiola was not an upright man afterall. Even fellow detribalized Yorubas will tell you without mincing words that Abiola was a dubiois character. Little wonder there is a serious protest against the move. .lol.
Lets be sincere and call a spade a spade. The real reason behind the strong opposition to the renaming of UniLag has more to do with the character of the man whose name was used. I refuse to fall for all that shout about UniLag being a brand bla bla bla. . . Abiola does not deserve the honour of being named after a reputable school like UniLag. He was a politician who rode on the back of a tiger and eventually ended up in the belly of the tiger. June 12, in the real sense was not about Abiola but democracy and the real brave Nigerians that died defending the mandate they Nigerians gave to him, Abiola who unfortunately bailed out of the country when ordinary Nigerians were dying en mass fighting and defending the man. I have little respect for the man on that basis I believe that is the true reasons people are against the name change above any other thing else.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by dont8(m): 9:44am On May 30, 2012
Pukkah:

What really are you trying to say? So you find some people's name funny right? Do you realize that that is relative and a matter of subjective opinion? So which names don't sound funny to you? Stop looking down on others...it's not good.
Don't mind him, who told him Rashidi Yekini(Rasheed Yekeen) is a Yoruba name, that's arabic. I think the guy is suffering inferioty complex, because the most prestigeous University in Nigeria is associated with an indigenous name, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU).
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by ikdom(m): 10:31am On May 30, 2012
The great ZIK of Africa said before he died, that he will rise from his grave if University of Nigeria Nsukka is renamed after him. There was no UNIZIK at the time he made this statement. The honour, pride and legacy in the name Unilag has just been ripped off, let's see if the new generation can resotore that same pride, honour and legacy to the new name MKO Abiola University. Great Akokites!!!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rhymz(m): 11:02am On May 30, 2012
ikdom: The great ZIK of Africa said before he died, that he will rise from his grave if University of Nigeria Nsukka is renamed after him. There was no UNIZIK at the time he made this statement. The honour, pride and legacy in the name Unilag has just been ripped off, let's see if the new generation can resotore that same pride, honour and legacy to the new name MKO Abiola University. Great Akokites!!!
Will you stop writing nonsense and spreading ignorance. When did Zik make such a Dumb statement? Are they yours or Zik's....rubbish!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 11:08am On May 30, 2012
rhymz: publicly known or public propaganda? Lmao!!! Guy go and verify your claims jor. Abiola was not an upright man afterall. Even fellow detribalized Yorubas will tell you without mincing words that Abiola was a dubiois character. Little wonder there is a serious protest against the move. .lol.
Lets be sincere and call a spade a spade. The real reason behind the strong opposition to the renaming of UniLag has more to do with the character of the man whose name was used. I refuse to fall for all that shout about UniLag being a brand bla bla bla. . . Abiola does not deserve the honour of being named after a reputable school like UniLag. He was a politician who rode on the back of a tiger and eventually ended up in the belly of the tiger. June 12, in the real sense was not about Abiola but democracy and the real brave Nigerians that died defending the mandate they Nigerians gave to him, Abiola who unfortunately bailed out of the country when ordinary Nigerians were dying en mass fighting and defending the man. I have little respect for the man on that basis I believe that is the true reasons people are against the name change above any other thing else.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? You claim that people are protesting because Abiola was a dubious character? shocked Yet people protested and died to defend the mandate they gave to this character? shocked

You can't approbate and reprobate at the same time. And please, stop standing history on its head.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Uchmane4life: 12:45pm On May 30, 2012
The change of name....I think it has more political underpinnings than what ordinary nigerian will perceive it to be.hnnnmmmmmm,....is it really necessary in the midst of all these security and political economy issues of nigeria? He should have a rethink....
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by scarletdp(m): 1:02pm On May 30, 2012
Hunkygee: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.
-Willian Shakespeare.
DAMN!!!! whoever reads dis and still complains abt the name should b flogged.... well said bruv...
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rinora(f): 3:12pm On May 30, 2012
A case of misplaced priorities,when will our leaders start getting things right....SMH smiley
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Sync32: 5:59pm On May 30, 2012
You all have no genuine reason for all this nagging. grow up and get on. if any of you were in the shoes of the Abiola family and something was done to honor your late dad how would you feel when pple start to protest against it? I dont see anything wrong with the new name
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by kildran: 6:09am On May 31, 2012
@pukkah
Take it easy man... I had problems copying rhymz's post. My first time of posting on the new forum...peace.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by danycool: 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2012
1025: Joe just changed the name of the school to Mashood Abiola University and the students are protesting now. What do you think?
Let's engage in dialogue(as academicians) and not risking our life in protest. Life loss never regain,THINK OOO.....
www.nairaland.com/attachments/715055_lag1_jpg100590b9903a8cf15ee84b4c150cea84 www.nairaland.com/attachments/715056_lag2_jpg49459ead4b048ecc019bbcb6d525c6cf
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Iveanyi: 12:32pm On Jun 03, 2012
rhymz: Will you stop writing nonsense and spreading ignorance. When did Zik make such a Dumb statement? Are they yours or Zik's....rubbish!
Maybe not in those exact words, but Zik did say something to that effect. It was about d time the Abuja University was being completed and the rumor mills had it going that it's proposed name was to b the University of Nigeria. The only snag being that the institution at Nsukka already bore that name. Apparently to solve this, Zik was or was to be approached but he declined. I'm sure the story has been retold a million and one ways and I'm not even sure my version is most authentic. However, there is an element of truth in the claim.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by felipecruz(m): 5:21pm On Jun 03, 2012
that is good bro me too i don't like that name
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Turbocharged: 4:01am On Jun 05, 2012
[quote author=Pukkah]

What really are you trying to say? So you find some people's name funny right? Do you realize that that is relative and a matter of subjective opinion? So which names don't sound funny to you? Stop looking down on others...it's not

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

LASU Lists 15 Unwanted Dressing Styles Among Students On Campus / How I Almost Got Rusticated Today!!! / Truth Or Dare: What Really Is The Game All About In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.