Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,406 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (28304 Views)

UNILAG Students Arrested For Attempting To Resurrect Colleague..see Pictures / Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG / ASUU Introduces ‘UNILAG Forever’ Badge To Discredit Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by pmarine: 3:14pm On May 29, 2012
papatosibe:

So John Harvard isnt a person's name?

Harvard was actually named after John Harvard.

The institution was named Harvard College on March 13, 1639, after its first principal donor, a young clergyman named John Harvard. A graduate of Emmanuel College, Cambridge in England, John Harvard bequeathed about four hundred books in his will to form the basis of the college library collection, along with half his personal wealth worth several hundred pounds.

Ambrose Alli University is a university in Nigeria established in 1981. It was established by the then governor of Bendel State (now Edo and Delta States), Professor Ambrose Folorunso Alli (1979–1983). First known as Bendel State University, then Edo State University, it was later changed to its present name in commemoration of Alli.

The decision to establish the University of Ife (popularly referred to as "Great Ife"wink by the ruling Action Group party of the Western Region of Nigeria was in protest at the recommendations of the Ashby commission. The university was founded in 1962 as the University of Ife by the regional government of Western Nigeria.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by deandavid(m): 3:15pm On May 29, 2012
pmarine:

Source......
ask ur fada

3 Likes

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by papatosibe: 3:17pm On May 29, 2012
tomzman:
You don't get the point.Ok if I'm to even go by your way of reasoning can you compare this to what Awo did in Ife? Some things are just uncalled for!

What did Awo do besides the fact that he was the premier of the Western region?

Abiola actually touched people's lives with his philanthropy. He has paid more school fees on behalf of indigent Nigerians ( of all tribes) than any other person in the history of the country. Only the federal govt has done more for education.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Wendy80(f): 3:17pm On May 29, 2012
t is very stupid 4any student 2 protest abi na d name of d skul u con learn 4 skul or 2 collect ur B.SC leave?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by nitrogen(m): 3:17pm On May 29, 2012
deandavid: ask ur fada
Lmaooooo
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by dustydee: 3:18pm On May 29, 2012
grin

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by akanbiaa(m): 3:19pm On May 29, 2012
What is the big deal about changing a universities name when the great university of ife was changed to obafemi awolowo university was there a problem or is it that abiola is not worth it to be named to replace unilag or what?so if university of ibadan is changed to bola ige university hell will be let loose be that,a great university will always be a great university no matter the name even when the great federal university of technology yola was changed to modibo adama university ot technology in the core north what happened so I think there is no big deal just keep on working hard and prooving why you are worth a great university.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by overkillR(f): 3:20pm On May 29, 2012
So you mean d president should have consulted you or the lecturers on his payroll? If you dont like d name of d institution there's absolutely nuttin u can do about it! Let them set their priorities right!

Uyi Iredia:

Fair enough, but that doesn't give the President the right to make the change. A stupid name change I must add. This country has bigger fish to fry and Jonathan lacks the common sense to approach issues. Nigerians are watching. Come 2015 he would not be in Aso Rock.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by bigboy3: 3:21pm On May 29, 2012
deandavid: ask ur fada

You are very shallow......backup your arguments with facts shikena.....you can as well ask your mother to help you.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by novaman: 3:25pm On May 29, 2012
People just talk in the name of supporting Jonathan, I knew a long time ago that this guy has nothing to offer, many never believed me, we are all shouting over different issue and the result is nothing.

If he wish to honour Abiola, I can help him MOSHOOD ABIOLA NATIONAL ASSEMBLY or MOSHOOD ABIOLA BUILDING (instead of ASO ROCK), Abiola was the Pillar of Sports in Africa before he died, why can't GEJ simple call the NFF to organise the MKO Challenge on June 12 like the South Africans do for Mandela, and make sure only those in the top 10 are invited to play against Super Eagles, this will make Abiola happy.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by dont8(m): 3:25pm On May 29, 2012
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by dont8(m): 3:27pm On May 29, 2012
papatosibe:

So John Harvard isnt a person's name?
My bad, I thought Havard was a city in US, thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by cnwamo(m): 3:28pm On May 29, 2012
What's in the name UNILAG abeg make all those people wey dey protest go jump for lagoon jare no be to learn carry you go school. Mtchew!!!!!! Una dey jobless obviously una no get book to read.
MKO Abiola is an Icon not just to the yoruba tribe but also to the entire nation and if the president decides to change the name of a federal institution to honour an icon wetin concern una.
Abeg make una free My Presido jare una dey beef because una know say na miss malu una go dey get now.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Hemanwel(m): 3:28pm On May 29, 2012
Unilag FM now turns MFM!hohohohoho...#laffin in waffi style#...shakara don end ohh!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by firmi(m): 3:28pm On May 29, 2012
absolutly unecesry.dat university is a brand.nd a pride 4 dis country.d guy has a stadium nd a polytechnic 2 his name.which cud hv bn upgraded.jst kip doing tins 2 provoke ppl.

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Donmeca(m): 3:29pm On May 29, 2012
AbuHanifa:

That is ikemba odumegu ojukwu university na

mumu, wait until Tony Anineh dies and c if uniben won't be baptized to TAU.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by lasgidiboy1: 3:30pm On May 29, 2012
Will it reduce the price of Aristos?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by janyj: 3:31pm On May 29, 2012
what do expect from a president whose brain is full of black shit
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Donmeca(m): 3:34pm On May 29, 2012
Those foolish students shud move back to their dorms immediately. I finished from NAU and instead of crying over d ugly name, we creatively coined UNIZIK to make it sexy. Today, even JAMB and NUC calls it UNIZIK. Let dem go into brainstorming sessions and stop being lazy.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rhymz(m): 3:34pm On May 29, 2012
deandavid: those school and stadium u talking about, were they federal? Do u mean mko abiola doesnt deserve this recorgnision? If i may ask, how old were u in 1993? U still a kid i guess. Do u knw oau used to be unife? No wonder the bible says, a prophet is nt accepted in his own town. SMFH
Yes of course, MKO Abiola does not deserve any recognition, the man got what he deserved. He was no different from the rogues that run the government then and even now. He was a victim of his own high-handed politics with the khaki boys. Need I remind you of his numerous money making schemes and corrupt enrichment? What exactly did he do to deserve the kind of accolades being showered on him? Even Bill gates is yet to get the kind of National recognition that Abiola has gotten so far. I mean, Gates' philantropy is incomparable, the man's giving is not even inspired by any politics unlike Abiola who started philantropy because he was nursing the ambition of becoming a president. How much of philantropy did he do outside of the southwest? At least I Know Rochas has many school foundations outside of the SE, point to one Abiola did outside of his comfort zone? Are you telling me that if Abiola was not your tribesman giving his character you would have accepted whole heartedly that UNILAG be turned to Abiol bla bla to imortalize him. He and his wife have already been immortalized so why change every goddam parastatal to Abiola's name. The man is not even that learned. As much as I love Ojukwu, I will be mad if Jonathan in his bid to play his stooopid politics of appeasement changes UNN to OJUKWU University. That is gross and wrinks of mediocre politics, there are are way better people with sterling achievements than Abiola whose names still would have caused a stir let alone a corrupt money bag like Abiola that was busy enriching himself and got his finger burnt in the process. Abeg call a spade a spade, Abiola was not all that he is repped up to be by the south western news media propaganda, a lot of us still have very xlear memory of what he realy did to the Nigerian polity, he is not any different.

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by SmartNaija(m): 3:36pm On May 29, 2012
The issue of who the name of a prestigious university such as unilag is named is a matter of great sensitivity if one considers the contributions of MKO Abiola to this Nation, despite his arguable faults which are minute compared to many who enjoy higher acclaim than this man who improved the lives of many he came across, invested in this country and finally paid the ultimate prize with his life,
Please stop the riot over this matter. Has anyone got more pictures?

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Adagba1: 3:36pm On May 29, 2012
Turbocharged: Pls I want to ask. Are those who joined the school from various community secondary schools also in the protest?
yes they should lead the protest because they cannot finish from community secondary school and then enter Moshod Abiola University(sound too local) .
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Donmeca(m): 3:36pm On May 29, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

You get it wrong

IT IS NOW ABIOLA BABES

hahahaha now I'm finally dead with laughter. This is my best Democracy Day ever, no doubt.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by yd849ja: 3:37pm On May 29, 2012
All you guys that think you are intelligent here don't get it. UNILAG is already a brand why destroy that brand name for something else. It takes years to build reputation you know. Do you think Obama dare changes Havard Uni to Abraham Lincoln Uni? It's impossible! Why not erect a befitting memorial statue in Abuja like Lincoln Memorial statue in DC and name it after him? I appreciate the gesture Mr. president but this leaves a bad taste in the mouth and it's more like a gift to the yorubas, why not something more grand and of gigantic proportion Abiola affected our psychic all as a nation and that prompted all to vote for him in the first instance. After all said and done I have to give it to GEJ for taking the initiative to appreciate MKO's sacrifice.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by yd849ja: 3:45pm On May 29, 2012
rhymz:
Yes of course, MKO Abiola does not deserve any recognition, the man got what he deserved. He was no different from the rogues that run the government then and even now. He was a victim of his own high-handed politics with the khaki boys. Need I remind you of his numerous money making schemes and corrupt enrichment? What exactly did he do to deserve the kind of accolades being showered on him? Even Bill gates is yet to get the kind of National recognition that Abiola has gotten so far. I mean, Gates' philantropy is incomparable, the man's giving is not even inspired by any politics unlike Abiola who started philantropy because he was nursing the ambition of becoming a president. How much of philantropy did he do outside of the southwest? At least I Know Rochas has many school foundations outside of the SE, point to one Abiola did outside of his comfort zone? Are you telling me that if Abiola was not your tribesman giving his character you would have accepted whole heartedly that UNILAG be turned to Abiol bla bla to imortalize him. He and his wife have already been immortalized so why change every goddam parastatal to Abiola's name. The man is not even that learned. As much as I love Ojukwu, I will be mad if Jonathan in his bid to play his stooopid politics of appeasement changes UNN to OJUKWU University. That is gross and wrinks of mediocre politics, there are are way better people with sterling achievements than Abiola whose names still would have caused a stir let alone a corrupt money bag like Abiola that was busy enriching himself and got his finger burnt in the process. Abeg call a spade a spade, Abiola was not all that he is repped up to be by the south western news media propaganda, a lot of us still have very xlear memory of what he realy did to the Nigerian polity, he is not any different.

And can you please come forward with those xlear facts of what he did to the Nigerian polity? Please I need facts, hard facts not hear say please?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 29, 2012
I dont understand this man o..Baba J abi ki lon je
Although it is neither a good nor bad decision..it is uncalled for!!
there are more pressing matters that need his attention..

The dude and his wife are just ATTENTION-SEEKING f*ckers
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by ifeci: 3:50pm On May 29, 2012
The issue of who the name of a prestigious university such as unilag is named is a matter of great sensitivity if one considers the contributions of MKO Abiola to this Nation, despite his arguable faults which are minute compared to many who enjoy higher acclaim than this man who improved the lives of many he came across, invested in this country and finally paid the ultimate prize with his life,
Please stop the riot over this matter. Has anyone got more pictures?

Akuko! ultimate price ni! because he offered himself to fight for a cause and die a matyr abi? you think say him for drink that tea if to say him know?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by tomzman: 3:52pm On May 29, 2012
deandavid: those school and stadium u talking about, were they federal? Do u mean mko abiola doesnt deserve this recorgnision? If i may ask, how old were u in 1993? U still a kid i guess. Do u knw oau used to be unife? No wonder the bible says, a prophet is nt accepted in his own town. SMFH
People like you constitute a major reason why Nigeria may never progress.For Christ's sake, when will we ever think before we do things in Nigeria? Anyway, novaman has dealt with the first part of your post.You just shot yourself in the foot by mentioning OAU.Awo's achievements in the area of education in western Nigeria has not been surpased by anyone, not even Abiola.FYI, my point is not majorly about the name.We have to learn to reason very well and set our priorities right before we act in Nigeria.The school needs more important things than a change of name.

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Turbocharged: 3:55pm On May 29, 2012
FILEBE: We d students of unilag strngly protest d change of unilag to mau, if dis is among d new developments in the thinkin faculty of Jonathan..i say that he shal surely have no Goodluck in this. Enough of political meddling into educational system. ONLY God knws what he stands to gain in this, but he shud cary his biznes venture to a wiling customer - unversity of lagos isnt buying his new name!
Perhaps he dreamt it up over9te, perhaps d nightmare of his wife promtd him to changing Unilag's name, perhaps it is one of dices needed for political game- but here ends our PATIENCE with him: if he has realized the importance of changing names, I beg of him nt to change Unilag's name, we ar happy and satisfied with our name! If there is a name to change, it's Goodluck! It has brought us no luck so far and mayb Badluck wil work for him and Whateva hidden Agenda Gej has on his desk should b fowarded to anoda angle. We want no part of it! We ar Akokites, Great Unilag students
WE D STUDENTS... Wht is ur matric nos? grin grin grin
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 29, 2012
tomzman:
Did you read the post at all?
Mr werepe, first of all, there is already a Moshood Abiola Polytechnic. Why give the same name to a university.
Secondly, is Abiola from Lagos? Or did he contribute anything to the development of the school before he died? For your info young man, a school and a stadium (both in his state) have already been named after him.It's of no use naming another school after the same man.Please reason and be logical.Don't just come online to support every move GEJ makes, the world has gone past that level.Think and get facts before you post!!!
Please, I need to know. Is Awolowo from Osun state? If no, then why was Uni ife 's name changed?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 29, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

You get it wrong

IT IS NOW ABIOLA BABES
u mean d defunct football club? lol
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by yampoo(m): 4:05pm On May 29, 2012
It is also in this regard that the Federal Government has decided that late Chief M.K.O. Abiola be honoured,for making the ultimate sacrifice in the pursuit of justice and truth. Destiny and circumstances conspired to place upon his shoulders a historic burden, and he rose to the occasion with character and courage. He deserves recognition for his martyrdom, and public-spiritedness and for being the man of history that he was. We need in our land, more men and women who will stand up to defend their beliefs, and whose example will further enrich our democracy. After very careful consideration, and in honour of Chief M.K.O. Abiola’s accomplishments and heroism, on this Democracy Day, the University of Lagos, is renamed by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Moshood Abiola University, Lagos. The Federal Government will also establish an Institute of Democratic Studies and Governance in the University.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

LASU Lists 15 Unwanted Dressing Styles Among Students On Campus / Truth Or Dare: What Really Is The Game All About In Nigeria? / How I Almost Got Rusticated Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.