Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,777 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (28329 Views)

UNILAG Students Arrested For Attempting To Resurrect Colleague..see Pictures / Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG / ASUU Introduces ‘UNILAG Forever’ Badge To Discredit Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Africar: 6:51pm On May 29, 2012
Greatest Akokite, "Say Yes to UNILAG and No to Mashood Abiola University, Lagos". Let's preserve the legacy of our great UNILAG.
Join us oN FB https://www./142572489211054/

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Gbengaslc: 7:05pm On May 29, 2012
You guys shouldn't worry just vote for me in 2015. I will restored the name
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by waja(m): 7:07pm On May 29, 2012
Una dey protest against GEJ, Na him kill Abiola. Make una go Hiltop mansion for Minna go protest ooh!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by AnikaShiloh: 7:10pm On May 29, 2012
We have now created a proper petition page that can be forwarded to the office of the presidency. This will help to consolidate all facebook groups that are popping up. Remember, we mean no disrespect to MKO. Remember, it is not about name change. Remember, it is not about disrespecting GEJ. It is about our leaders not giving due weight to important matters. It is about letting them know we would no longer be taken for a ride. We know what we want. And this is just symbolic. The power belongs to us, the people.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/referendum-against-unilag-change.html
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by solaceguy(m): 7:32pm On May 29, 2012
K
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by IYANGBALI: 7:33pm On May 29, 2012
the way jonathan dey behave he be like say that fish wey swallow Jonah in the bible na for Nigeria he come vomit am
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by naijanedu(m): 7:35pm On May 29, 2012
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rhymz(m): 7:47pm On May 29, 2012
yd849ja: .

And can you please come forward with those xlear facts of what he did to the Nigerian polity? Please I need facts, hard facts not hear say please?
hahahah...guy you are not talking to a kid, the man was a highly corrupt money bag, like many Nigerians, I got to know the real Abiola through the ITT scandal. Abiola's history is not far fetched, it happened just a few years ago. There was more to Abiola's travail than meet the eyes. What you read about Abiola in the dailies is what the southwestern print media wants you to know and see. My dear, Abiola was not your average saint or upright politician with a good heart. The man played hard and died hard. Whatever achievment the man made was achieved riding on the back of a tiger and expectedly, he ended up in the stomach of the tiger. He became a hero brcause the establishment he once wined and dined with turned its back against him. What you don't understand is that even amongst the Yorubas, Abiola had more real enemies than real friends, they were actually the reason he never became president. Ask OBJ why it never occured to him to rally round for his release after he, OBJ was released from jail. Instead, he waited out for the man's death and then declared his intention to run.
If you wants facts about Abiola's heavy politicking I will oblige with an avalalanch but first, you need to give me reasons of his squeaky clean, Nelson Mandela kind of image you have of him. Back it up with facts, then we can talk.

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by papatosibe: 7:48pm On May 29, 2012
Area boyz don take over lag ooooooooo

Dont tell me those are students . . . They look hungry, s/t/u//p/i/d, unorganized and utterly inarculate
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by porka: 8:06pm On May 29, 2012
baslone: Why does our President take decisions that are blatantly unpopular with the people

The person(s) who advised him to change the name of University of Lagos to MOSHOOD
KASHIMAWO OLAWALE ABIOLA UNIVERSITY LAGOS
, are they living in this same Nigeria with
the rest of us?

Mr. President said that he had consulted widely before announcing the name-change, but,
given spontaneous protests by Unilag students against the name-change, Mr. President had
obviously not considered the Unilag body of students relevant during his wide consultation.

I thought it's Moshood Abiola University, or which one are you referring to?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by adonisgold: 8:31pm On May 29, 2012
[quote author=papatosibe]

What did Awo do besides the fact that he was the premier of the Western region?

Abiola actually touched people's lives with his philanthropy. He has paid more school fees on behalf of indigent Nigerians ( of all tribes) than any other person in the history of the country. Only the federal govt has done more for education.[/quo

hahaha, Abiola paid school fees for people, Awo brought free education!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by shuddyy: 8:51pm On May 29, 2012
Those students and haters should just go and sit their silly arss down. MKO is worthy of the honour!
Why are they acting like the school is all about the name Unilag? There are a good number of universities
Named after great men so what is their problem. Change is a difficult thing to swallow but this is no bad change
So why are they acting like they are bereaved. They should just get used to the acronym MAU.
They will remain Akokites afterall nobody was calling them Unilagite before.
Am sure most of them were toddlers then so could not imagine the impact of MKO and june 12 in nig history.
They are acting like it was their surname that fg changed.
Rest in peace MKO - the best president nig never had.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by plentykola(m): 8:53pm On May 29, 2012
I dont knw watin dey worry unilag(MAU) student federal govt have the power and right to change any federal university name when university of ife was changed to obafemi awolowo university who shout make dey go gum body for chair jo MAU has come to stay
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by porka: 9:07pm On May 29, 2012
rhymz:
Yes of course, MKO Abiola does not deserve any recognition, the man got what he deserved. He was no different from the rogues that run the government then and even now. He was a victim of his own high-handed politics with the khaki boys. Need I remind you of his numerous money making schemes and corrupt enrichment? What exactly did he do to deserve the kind of accolades being showered on him? Even Bill gates is yet to get the kind of National recognition that Abiola has gotten so far. I mean, Gates' philantropy is incomparable, the man's giving is not even inspired by any politics unlike Abiola who started philantropy because he was nursing the ambition of becoming a president. How much of philantropy did he do outside of the southwest? At least I Know Rochas has many school foundations outside of the SE, point to one Abiola did outside of his comfort zone? Are you telling me that if Abiola was not your tribesman giving his character you would have accepted whole heartedly that UNILAG be turned to Abiol bla bla to imortalize him. He and his wife have already been immortalized so why change every goddam parastatal to Abiola's name. The man is not even that learned. As much as I love Ojukwu, I will be mad if Jonathan in his bid to play his stooopid politics of appeasement changes UNN to OJUKWU University. That is gross and wrinks of mediocre politics, there are are way better people with sterling achievements than Abiola whose names still would have caused a stir let alone a corrupt money bag like Abiola that was busy enriching himself and got his finger burnt in the process. Abeg call a spade a spade, Abiola was not all that he is repped up to be by the south western news media propaganda, a lot of us still have very xlear memory of what he realy did to the Nigerian polity, he is not any different.

Oga, the man, Abiola, is learned. He held a First Class Honors Degree in Accounting from the City of Glasgow University, Scotland.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by porka: 9:13pm On May 29, 2012
Anika Shiloh: We have now created a proper petition page that can be forwarded to the office of the presidency. This will help to consolidate all facebook groups that are popping up. Remember, we mean no disrespect to MKO. Remember, it is not about name change. Remember, it is not about disrespecting GEJ. It is about our leaders not giving due weight to important matters. It is about letting them know we would no longer be taken for a ride. We know what we want. And this is just symbolic. The power belongs to us, the people.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/referendum-against-unilag-change.html

Did you listen to the entire speech?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 9:30pm On May 29, 2012
Mark my words, this protest will die off faster than you guys think.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rhymz(m): 9:32pm On May 29, 2012
porka:

Oga, the man, Abiola, is learned. He held a First Class Honors Degree in Accounting from the City of Glasgow University, Scotland.
hahahahahha....who made 1st class, MKO?
Propaganda is a biatch. Where is your source? Let me guess, Wiki? Hahahahahhaha. . . . Guy you need to update the hard drive of your brain walahi. As if that is not laughable enough,the claim is that he got a first class in Political economy, commercial law and management accountancy. .lol . . Nigerians can be funny sha. It is obvious, that is some stoopid journalistic embelishment to rep the man and make him look like an eistein.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by shuddyy: 9:34pm On May 29, 2012
Any MAU student that feels the school has lost its pride and swag just because the name was changed from unilag to MAU
should just renounce their studentship and quickly walk across to the nearest JAMB office and pick form! Eediots
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 9:43pm On May 29, 2012
rhymz: hahahahahha....who made 1st class, MKO?
Propaganda is a biatch. Where is your source? Let me guess, Wiki? Hahahahahhaha. . . . Guy you need to update the hard drive of your brain walahi. As if that is not laughable enough,the claim is that he got a first class in Political economy, commercial law and management accountancy. .lol . . Nigerians can be funny sha. It is obvious, that is some stoopid journalistic embelishment to rep the man and make him look like an eistein.

Is it a new piece of info in the public domain that Abiola made a First class degree in Accounting from Glasgow? Where is the propaganda in this? It's a pity the way this country is going.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Chyvy(f): 9:46pm On May 29, 2012
[ quote author=Goldenheart]aftermath of consuming cassava bread........ grin[/quote].

grin grin
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by porka: 10:03pm On May 29, 2012
Babakenny: Thank God too my certificate bears the great University of Lagos, 'the Nations pride school'. I wanted to do my postgraduate next session but now that the University has been renamed, I can't stand having MAU in my postgraduate certificate.

With this said, the great Unilag will loose many prospective students for this stupid and untimely name change. A lot of young people seek admission to this great school cos of her name 'UNILAG'.

Chichi.. Hey Nancy!! Guess what!!
Nancy..what Chichi!
Chichi.. I just got an admission into Unilag...
Nancy... Oh really?
Chichi.. Yes yes of course! I'm super excited!!
Nancy.. Hmmmmm! But have u heard?
Chichi... Heard what, what's going on?
Nancy... Its no longer Unilag but Mau or Moau or I don't knw
Chichi.. When does this happen?
Nancy... Jonathan did it. He changed the schl to suit the west and bribe himself for 2015.
Chichi.. Oh no! I picked the schl cos of her name Unilag!
Chichi... My other friends have been calling me Unilag babe already! Wht's next now? I guess I"ll change school!
Nancy... That's a good idea...
Chichi.. I'm goin home, I'm not happy anymore. I hate this Jonah... Nonsense!!!!

First time I am hearing people chose school because of the name, i.e. Alphabetical name and not name as in reputation or brand.

This seems to be the main and only reason the students are on the edge.

In that case, then they lack self esteem.

People build name.

People make name sexy.

Human beings build brands, brands don't built people.

It is not the other way round.

What is sexy in ordinary Bush?

What is "tooch" about Aliko Dangote ordinarily?

What is so romantic about Obama?

What is the big deal about Gates?

I mean, who would want to name his/her child Laggard?

It is part of Africans obsession with mundane things.

No one has even mentioned the financial cost of the name change.

From the letter head to the sign-post, to the website.

All you hear is "Akokites" as if the Uni has been taken from Akoka.

I actually don't know why these students cannot "tooch the name it up" if they are really that "tooch"
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by franktolk(m): 10:13pm On May 29, 2012
In 1956 Moshood Abiola started his professional life as bank clerk with Barclays Bank plc in Ibadan, South-West Nigeria. After two years he joined the Western Region Finance Corporation as an executive accounts officer before leaving for Glasgow, Scotland to pursue his higher education. From Glasgow University he received a first class degree in accountancy. He also received a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. On his return to Nigeria, he worked as a senior accountant at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by DaLover(m): 10:33pm On May 29, 2012
papatosibe:

I agree! Just as razz as the following names: Joseph Wharton, oral Roberts, Robert Wood Johnson, Sloan Kettering, John Harvard, Leland Stanford, MD Anderson, Williams and Mary,Brigham Young, Carnegie Mellon, Harvey Mudd, Rice, Sarah Lawrence, Johns Hopkins, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Henry Rutgers, Elihu Yale etc.

I am sure you'd be pissed if you graduated from one of the aforementioned university?

Abeg tell these mugus something....
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by kayLion(m): 11:34pm On May 29, 2012
mcqt21: GEJ,,,if u 1nt war...jus try renamin uniben grin
October 1 is coming...i forsee Rashidi Yekini University, Benin...
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by kildran: 11:39pm On May 29, 2012
Pukkah:

Is it a new piece of info in the public domain that Abiola made a First class degree in Accounting from Glasgow? Where is the propaganda in this? It's a pity the way this country is going.

Dude u must be very misinformed, everyone knows MKO was very brilliant. He was always amongst the top three students in classes he attended. U think na by beans to come from nowhere and be a multimillionaire in dollars?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by rhymz(m): 12:16am On May 30, 2012
Pukkah:

dude, the claim of Abiola graduating with a first class is BS. I am yet to see a recognize source with such claims, so far, what I have seen are different accounts of what he studied and got a 1st class for. Some say economics, another says account then there is another claim of management. . . Guy, these larger than life discriptions show it is all about embelishment jare!! The man was a politician remember He can spin his story anyway he wants.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Xtana: 1:29am On May 30, 2012
This is serious; one day we will wake up and discover he has also changed the name of our country Nigeria to something else, may be Islamic Republic of Bokoharam.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by slyfox1974(m): 3:14am On May 30, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]see mau mau uprising part 2
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Babakenny(m): 5:43am On May 30, 2012
We are taking this guy Jonathan to court for breaking the Law. The Law that established the creation of Unilag and any name change must first be amended.

If the guy Jonathan, had attended the Great Unilag, he wouldn't have dared change the name. He's a pig and all Alumni rejected the name change.

Let him go and tackle the Boko Haram issue first and get credit for that or let him vacate the seat for peace to reign!!!!! This guy Jonathan doesn't have clue for good governance. He became what he is today just cos of destiny, otherwise he doesn't deserve to rule over me for a sec.

I don't like him for anything! And I don't like his face!!! He has caused so much pains for this country. Bomb! bomb!! bomb!!! everywhere! Haba!!!!!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Remii(m): 6:25am On May 30, 2012
Babakenny: We are taking this guy Jonathan to court for breaking the Law. The Law that established the creation of Unilag and any name change must first be amended.

If the guy Jonathan, had attended the Great Unilag, he wouldn't have dared change the name. He's a pig and all Alumni rejected the name change.

Let him go and tackle the Boko Haram issue first and get credit for that or let him vacate the seat for peace to reign!!!!! This guy Jonathan doesn't have clue for good governance. He became what he is today just cos of destiny, otherwise he doesn't deserve to rule over me for a sec.

I don't like him for anything! And I don't like his face!!! He has caused so much pains for this country. Bomb! bomb!! bomb!!! everywhere! Haba!!!!!

http://www.aksjlegalresource.com/resource/Laws_of_the_Federation%5CUNIVERSITY%20OF%20LAGOS%20ACT.pdf

that link is to the UNILAG actor to the university.

The President is the visitor to the University. He or she is the only one with almost final say in affairs of the University, more or less has power to do anything. I guess we should get educated and act from point of facts since this involves academia. It may be emotionally difficult to accept but change of UNILAG to MAULAG looks legal. I am not a lawyer, lawyers in the house please clarify.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

How I Almost Got Rusticated Today!!! / LASU Lists 15 Unwanted Dressing Styles Among Students On Campus / List Of School That Have Released Post UTME Forms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.