Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,605 members, 7,816,505 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (28307 Views)

UNILAG Students Arrested For Attempting To Resurrect Colleague..see Pictures / Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG / ASUU Introduces ‘UNILAG Forever’ Badge To Discredit Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 29, 2012
deandavid: ask ur fada

This is fu-ckin hysteric and totally uncool. . . grin grin the guy offend you before ? cheesy
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by tomzman: 4:08pm On May 29, 2012
papatosibe:

What did Awo do besides the fact that he was the premier of the Western region?

Abiola actually touched people's lives with his philanthropy. He has paid more school fees on behalf of indigent Nigerians ( of all tribes) than any other person in the history of the country. Only the federal govt has done more for education.
There is no point going into any further conversation with you.You want to compare Awo and Abiola's achievements in education.Oga, go and dust your history books and in case you have none, go and buy.They are not expensive. Nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by slimpoppa(m): 4:12pm On May 29, 2012
Neoviper147: grin NO MORE ''UNILAG RUNS GIRL'' ITS NOW ''MAU RUNS GIRL'' LOLLLLLL
No, it is now "MALU runs girl".
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 4:20pm On May 29, 2012
Kolababa: Moshood Abiola was from Abeokuta in Ogun State.
Why not renaming University of Abeokuta, UNAAB which is located in the MKO's hometown to Mashood Abiola University, Abeokuta.
Another sign of cluelessness.

Did MKO become popular because he hailed from Abeokuta? Was Murtala Mohammed from Lagos? Was Obafemi Awolowo from Ife? Is Obasanjo, whom a key road was named after, from Port Harcourt?

Don't localize this issue please.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 29, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Fair enough, but that doesn't give the President the right to make the change. A stupid name change I must add. This country has bigger fish to fry and Jonathan lacks the common sense to approach issues. Nigerians are watching. Come 2015 he would not be in Aso Rock.

gbe 'nu e soun (shut ur trap). so Greece dat has bigger fish to fry still had d tyme to light olympic touch. nanamu
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 29, 2012
Pukkah:

Did MKO become popular because he hailed from Abeokuta? Was Murtala Mohammed from Lagos? Was Obafemi Awolowo from Ife? Is Obasanjo, whom a key road was named after, from Port Harcourt?

Don't localize this issue please.

True Talk
People just feel that UNILAG has attained 'cult hero' status so nothing can be done to it.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 4:27pm On May 29, 2012
Adagba1: yes they should lead the protest because they cannot finish from community secondary school and then enter Moshod Abiola University(sound too local) .

What's the meaning of 'too local' please? Would it have been the same reaction if the name had been changed to say Bill Gates University? I hope you guys aren't suffering from a complex.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by SpiritofOkija(m): 4:29pm On May 29, 2012
Unilag girls now to be known as Abiola Babes...
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 29, 2012
All these MAULAG Students abi na wetin be una name sef? u are all dump assholes!y crying over a spilled milk? cus dey change una name.mtcheeeew.
wotz so so special about UNILAG? Afterall,d sch is nt among d 1000th uni.in d world. Make una no go read una book,una go know hw fa wen dem release soldiers.Shege wawa muntulas!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 29, 2012
Spirit of Okija: Unilag girls now to be known as Abiola Babes...

Make their aristo money sha reduce..
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 4:34pm On May 29, 2012
papatosibe:

I agree! Just as razz as the following names: Joseph Wharton, oral Roberts, Robert Wood Johnson, Sloan Kettering, John Harvard, Leland Stanford, MD Anderson, Williams and Mary,Brigham Young, Carnegie Mellon, Harvey Mudd, Rice, Sarah Lawrence, Johns Hopkins, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Henry Rutgers, Elihu Yale etc.

I am sure you'd be pissed if you graduated from one of the aforementioned university?

Don't mind them. Many of them are just displaying immaturity, insecurity, or outright complex.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by khanivorous(f): 4:34pm On May 29, 2012
mcqt21: GEJ,,,if u 1nt war...jus try renamin uniben grin

Uniben just renamed MAJEK FASHEK UNIVERSITY

That shit cray!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 29, 2012
rhymz:
Yes of course, MKO Abiola does not deserve any recognition, the man got what he deserved. He was no different from the rogues that run the government then and even now. He was a victim of his own high-handed politics with the khaki boys. Need I remind you of his numerous money making schemes and corrupt enrichment? What exactly did he do to deserve the kind of accolades being showered on him? Even Bill gates is yet to get the kind of National recognition that Abiola has gotten so far. I mean, Gates' philantropy is incomparable, the man's giving is not even inspired by any politics unlike Abiola who started philantropy because he was nursing the ambition of becoming a president. How much of philantropy did he do outside of the southwest? At least I Know Rochas has many school foundations outside of the SE, point to one Abiola did outside of his comfort zone? Are you telling me that if Abiola was not your tribesman giving his character you would have accepted whole heartedly that UNILAG be turned to Abiol bla bla to imortalize him. He and his wife have already been immortalized so why change every goddam parastatal to Abiola's name. The man is not even that learned. As much as I love Ojukwu, I will be mad if Jonathan in his bid to play his stooopid politics of appeasement changes UNN to OJUKWU University. That is gross and wrinks of mediocre politics, there are are way better people with sterling achievements than Abiola whose names still would have caused a stir let alone a corrupt money bag like Abiola that was busy enriching himself and got his finger burnt in the process. Abeg call a spade a spade, Abiola was not all that he is repped up to be by the south western news media propaganda, a lot of us still have very xlear memory of what he realy did to the Nigerian polity, he is not any different.

u are so ignorant n suffering from short term memmory loss if u were mature. i mean I could u be so ungrateful by distancing urself from d man's struggles. even if he was fighting for himself then, was it not d struggles dat brought abt democracy? he laid down his life 4 it.hw many of them 2day can do dat?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by kiyosaki1(m): 4:44pm On May 29, 2012
Thanks be to bros J the price of aristo don crash I love gej
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Darey00(m): 4:48pm On May 29, 2012
MAULAG.....greatest MAULAGITES!!! Oh,somebody hold my sides! Lwkmd
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Remii(m): 4:54pm On May 29, 2012
Wait oo, Had this school named "Harvard University, Lagos Campus", these kids go protest like this?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by davidugotex(m): 4:55pm On May 29, 2012
U.I brace up, urs will soon be changed to Fela Anikolapo Kuti University Ibadan (FAKUI)
Chei! Frankly I don't find any usefulness to dis change of name, and it's totally ill-timed. If he had changed d name on June 12, d criticism wouldn't hv been much. At least he would hv gotten some credit as that is a date set aside to honour Abiola. Probably his memory runs very slow (on MS DOS with 256MB RAM I guess) that's why what he planned to do in June 12 finally came to his memory in June 29.
Well, UNILAG accept ur Democracy Dividend from Jona in good fate.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 5:03pm On May 29, 2012
Turbocharged: If I am Joe I will name it after Rashidi Yekini, adding all those their funny yoruba names. Or after one Mazi from Igbo.

What really are you trying to say? So you find some people's name funny right? Do you realize that that is relative and a matter of subjective opinion? So which names don't sound funny to you? Stop looking down on others...it's not good.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by unclenna(m): 5:04pm On May 29, 2012
MAU sounds like a cow name. I pity all those chew gum girls in unilag nw mau. At least d name go humble una....lol.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by psamuell2(m): 5:05pm On May 29, 2012
MAUL sounds beta.
MAUL UNIVERSITY
moshood abiola university lagos.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Babasessy(m): 5:15pm On May 29, 2012
lol.

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Babakenny(m): 5:33pm On May 29, 2012
Simple solution to this problem.

Vote for me in 2015 and let us unseat Jonathan and I will rename the school back to UNILAG.

Jonathan is a disorganised
person. It is during his time that we recorded so much deaths in our country. It is during this tenure that youth corps members were maimed just cause he wanted to rule by force. Go home Jona, we don't need a pathetic president like u anymore.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by dustydee: 5:39pm On May 29, 2012
If the owner of the university wants to change the name I think he has the right to do that. If you are not happy with that then leave and go find another school. tongue
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Babakenny(m): 5:50pm On May 29, 2012
Ñeither is Jona the owner of the institution. Jona is only a figurehead and I don't like anything abt his Govt. Its always badluck!! Nonsense!!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by cesil92: 5:52pm On May 29, 2012
Useless Idle students, rather than protesting for the poor state of education in their skul, they are busy protesting for unnecessaray issues.. Naija which way forward? Atleast with GEJ shakara don end 4 UniLag babes and guys.. UniLag babes wey dey do runz dey claim big babes, GEJ don spoil market give una coz value don drop. UNIMALU, MALU UNI hahahaha laffn in pidgin
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by ortopazz(m): 6:04pm On May 29, 2012
Pukkah: Today, very few people even remember that Obafemi Awolowo University used to be known as Unife. As at that time, there was also some sentiment against the name change to OAU. Some alumni even refused to refer to the school as OAU preferring to stick to the defunct, arguably more prestigious, Unife.

However, time cures everything as the initial scepticism and kicks that greeted the change to OAU is now history. Such is life. I'm not surprised though that the present Unilag's, sorry MAU's undergrads are protesting against the name change. They were not old enough or unborn when MKO held sway and were probably very young when MKO paid he supreme sacrifice for the democracy that is in place today.

I'm not holding brief for Jonathan but you see, time heals everything. Very soon, only a few people will remember, just like the case of Unife or OSU, that MAU was once known as Unilag.

The questions should be: does MKO deserve he honor, was due process followed in the name change, and so on?

God bleSS you brother you cudnt av said it any better.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by baggy4luv(m): 6:07pm On May 29, 2012
unilag students jetage fools
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pakavy(m): 6:16pm On May 29, 2012
mcqt21: @isaac,,,d name,,d pride,,de swag..loke wen i do hear girls say,,,helloooooo i atend unilag helooo..,,so name gots evrytin 2 do wit ,,
unilag don gt belle o.shakara don end
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by SmartNaija(m): 6:17pm On May 29, 2012
ifeci:

Akuko! ultimate price ni! because he offered himself to fight for a cause and die a matyr abi? you think say him for drink that tea if to say him know?

While I am confident neither of us have any inside information, it is right to assume as stated on his Wikipedia page and I quote

"The sole condition attached to the release of Chief Abiola was that he renounce his mandate, something that he refused to do, although the military government offered to compensate him and refund his extensive election expenses"

Please what does Akuko mean?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by yd849ja: 6:32pm On May 29, 2012
Can someone tell Jonathan Goodluck that University of Lagos was established by an act of Parliament in 1962 and the name can only be change through an amendment to that act. I think this president is being chased by the shadow of military mentality. Let us challenge this act of illegality in the court of law.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by yankidelta(m): 6:44pm On May 29, 2012
 am smelling a ploy by the PDP to discredit Lagos(ACN).PDP is putting in place mechanisms to instigate ACN and make them re-act irrationally to be able to take advantage by declaring a state of emergency or outright overthrow ACN.Look at the LASG doctors' saga,then this MAU thingy....they have more arsenal and will continue to deploy them till they achieve their purpose.May the will of the people prevail ultimately!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 29, 2012
Mushood Abiola university Lagos Akoka Members "MALAM's" hahahaha o boy that school don tear like small pikin Superman pant

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

LASU Lists 15 Unwanted Dressing Styles Among Students On Campus / How I Almost Got Rusticated Today!!! / Truth Or Dare: What Really Is The Game All About In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.