Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,546 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (17127 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Agimor(m): 9:51pm On Jul 21, 2012
Expol for those that are seeking project topic this eventually is one topic already.fine write up by the debaters and i hope to see more issues been delibrated or rather debated in nairaland.keep the ship sailing.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by BigBenoski(m): 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2012
coogar:

still wondering how a judge scored me 5!!! 5? is the judge greek or cantonese?
breezy is 4th not 5th!
if i were in that panel bro, u'd end up with a 2 from me. You just went on a long ramble. U write well but u lack the basics of great debating sir.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2012
BigBenoski: if i were in that panel bro, u'd end up with a 2 from me. You just went on a long ramble. U write well but u lack the basics of great debating sir.

of course.....I lack the nonsense basics of acknowledging co-debaters, time keeper and the panel of judges like people used to do in the 70s. when was the last time you saw a proper debate of international standard? if you compare what you think is the normal standard to the way it's done in saner climes, then you'd be embarrassed!

i have given you your 3 mins of fame now, kindly jog along......nicely!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by maclatunji: 10:10pm On Jul 21, 2012
jim jones:

shymmex, this coward(sagamite), who chickened out of the debate shouldn't be given the impression that his/her opinion matters.

Word!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by BigBenoski(m): 10:24pm On Jul 21, 2012
coogar:

of course.....I lack the nonsense basics of acknowledging co-debaters, time keeper and the panel of judges like people used to do in the 70s. when was the last time you saw a proper debate of international standard? if you compare what you think is the normal standard to the way it's done in saner climes, then you'd be embarrassed!

i have given you your 3 mins of fame now, kindly jog along......nicely!
hehehehehe.. This has nothing to do with acknowledgements. Would you please remove your 'pride glasses' for a minute and go through ur supposed debate again. At a point i thought it was a critique. But not to worry bros..i'l just 'jog along', keep swimming in a deluge of ignorance. Over and out!

10 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by maclatunji: 10:35pm On Jul 21, 2012
#Organisers, considering the nightmarish logistics required to hold this debate properly, I give you credit for even getting to this stage. Please for the next round, enforce your rules a lot more strictly and sanction erring parties appropriately.

Debaters, please step-up your game, you can do much better.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 10:42pm On Jul 21, 2012
BigBenoski: hehehehehe.. This has nothing to do with acknowledgements. Would you please remove your 'pride glasses' for a minute and go through ur supposed debate again. At a point i thought it was a critique. But not to worry bros..i'l just 'jog along', keep swimming in a deluge of ignorance. Over and out!

the irony.....
with your below average intelligence and appalling penmanship, you dare stand there like a mannequin to say i am ignorant? you need to be lobotomised asap!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Fourcade(m): 10:56pm On Jul 21, 2012
Thumbs up to the debaters,both for those who argued for and against..can't say i didnt learn anything from both sides.
I expect more from the debaters tommorow... cheesy cheesy cheesy
However would have loved the pairing to be this way...
Shymmex vs Coogar/Breezy cheesy
or

First Vs Third
Second Vs Fourth

IMHO cheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 21, 2012
coogar:

the irony.....
with your below average intelligence and appalling penmanship, you dare stand there like a mannequin to say i am ignorant? you need to be lobotomised asap!
No dey show yourself. Npama. You are supposed to be civil. Buusu.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Orikinla(m): 11:45pm On Jul 21, 2012
The President of Nigeria should be wise enough to download the points made by the debaters. Cheers all.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 22, 2012
No offense but i think the Topic being debated is boring and it doesn't make sense repeating the same Topic for the second round.. If it's political, you can talk about BOKOHARAM

1. Is politics the cause of bokoharam or is religion the cause of bokoharam?

2. Will Nigeria be better off today if the Military remained in power from 1999 till date

3. Is human capacity the cause of Nigeria's under development?

4. Are humans fulfilling the purpose of creation?

5. Marriage breakup! Who is to blame? The man? The woman?

6. Exam malpratices! Who is to blame? Students or Teachers?

See, the list is endless. But godfatherism, the topic is really boring.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:48am On Jul 22, 2012
bennyraz: No offense but i think the Topic being debated is boring and it doesn't make sense repeating the same Topic for the second round.. If it's political, you can talk about BOKOHARAM

2. Will Nigeria be better off today if the Military remained in power from 1999 till date

well said. Bt ur last topic shld b lyk ds.
6. Exam Malpractice! Who is to blame? Students, Teachers or Parents.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 1:39am On Jul 22, 2012
Pointless waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by manny4life(m): 2:30am On Jul 22, 2012
bennyraz: [b]No offense but i think the Topic being debated is boring [/b]and it doesn't make sense repeating the same Topic for the second round.. If it's political, you can talk about BOKOHARAM

At the bold, everyday/week/month, we have one boring activity or the other, does it mean we should ignore it because it's boring? NO. Topics of debate doesn't necessarily have to be of fun, even me, I thought the topic was VERY unfamiliar to me, however, it was a learning experience for many including me.

After the two people argue their for and after actions tomorrow, hopefully, the NL audience can give their own opinions to the issue. To me, Godfatherism doesn't in ANY way contribute to corruption that's why I stand with Newacca argument. Like it's often said, this is a foot in the door. Hopefully, this will reduce the cussing on NL and put NL on a new page.

One thing I must say is, though this was very good thought out ideas, however the planning and its execution was ...(go figure). There were awful flaws in it's execution, nevertheless, how can one improve if they don't make mistakes? Hopefully the planners will plan very well before execution, I hope NL members can wholesomely accept this new idea.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Cuddlemii: 2:51am On Jul 22, 2012
manny4life:

At the bold, everyday/week/month, we have one boring activity or the other, does it mean we should ignore it because it's boring? NO. Topics of debate doesn't necessarily have to be of fun, even me, I thought the topic was VERY unfamiliar to me, however, it was a learning experience for many including me.

After the two people argue their for and after actions tomorrow, hopefully, the NL audience can give their own opinions to the issue. To me, Godfatherism doesn't in ANY way contribute to corruption that's why I stand with Newacca argument. Like it's often said, this is a foot in the door. Hopefully, this will reduce the cussing on NL and put NL on a new page.

One thing I must say is, though this was very good thought out ideas, however the planning and its execution was ...(go figure). There were awful flaws in it's execution, nevertheless, how can one improve if they don't make mistakes? Hopefully the planners will plan very well before execution, I hope NL members can wholesomely accept this new idea.

Contrary to what you think, so much was put into the planning & execution of this. The problem started when politics section "elites" trampled on the project. They started by discrediting the potentials of debaters stating they were incompetent because they come from diverse backgrounds and not regular political posters. This made most of the debaters to drop out. The idea I had in mind was to bring diversity yet togetherness but I guess I wasn't stern enough to eliminate negative leaches.

Sagamite didn't make it easy as he repeatedly constituted a nuisance just to cover up his insecurity or intimidation. Every participant worked their butts off for this. This plan started barely fours days ago, therefore, the efforts of the judges, debaters & project manager should at least be appreciated.

Not to worry tomorrow would be much better! We can only get better right?

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by tpia5: 5:04am On Jul 22, 2012
sounds like a set up imo.

something jarus would do.

intentionally call people's names just to cause trouble.

but yall should carry on- havent been following any of it so far.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 5:20am On Jul 22, 2012
tpia@:
sounds like a set up imo.

something jarus would do.

intentionally call people's names just to cause trouble.

but yall should carry on- havent been following any of it so far.
Smh. Jesus wept.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 22, 2012
shymmex:

I'm still pissed at the judges for denying the voice of the masses the number one spot.. grin

Join the masses, fam.. cool

I like your spirit of sportsmanship here.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 5:33am On Jul 22, 2012
Initially, I wasn't so disposed to the idea that this clearly political topic should be debated by people outside the active politics section posters. But after this first round I agree with Cuddle that it's a better idea having non-regular politics section gladiators as debaters. It made the debaters go extra mile, do some searching and prepare well. NewACCA and Shymmex confessed to consulting Google, which is a good idea. The latter has never even stepped into Nigeria, just as the former is not your regular active political discussant. Altogether, I think it's a good showing from all the participant, far beyond my expectation. Let's keep this up guys. We may consider making this a weekly event(Saturday/Sunday) or last weekend of every month or forthnightly.

For specific comment about each debater's performance, I reserve that till after the exercise, since I'm a Judge and my scores should be the talking for now.
Kudos guys.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by BigBenoski(m): 5:34am On Jul 22, 2012
coogar:

the irony.....
not just ignorance, you are also practised at chasing the wind, as vividly depicted in your incidental rants. Grow up, changeling and don't throw up a critique next time. ..its called a DEBATE. Just an advice but ofcourse you don't have to take it.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by DExplorer1: 5:58am On Jul 22, 2012
Sagamite was just a clown! He seemingly was without content and smartly went the frivolities' way. How on earth will you tell an event manager that you've your personal stage to perform somewhere at your backyard? Dude, you flawed something you should be part of and be proud of. We ALL saw it! Anyways, kudos to the organiser, what you're doing will stretch the debaters and enlighten the audience. Halting the debate wasn't the best of ideas for me since it was based on delivery and points. I look forward to tonight. Kudos again!

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by shilling(f): 8:01am On Jul 22, 2012
This was interesting to read. Looking forward to the final. A different topic in the final wouldn't be a bad idea though.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 8:07am On Jul 22, 2012
BigBenoski: not just ignorance, you are also practised at chasing the wind, as vividly depicted in your incidental rants. Grow up, changeling and don't throw up a critique next time. ..its called a DEBATE. Just an advice but ofcourse you don't have to take it.

if i managed to harness the power of all the world's telescopes to create a super telescope with the power to see billions of miles into space, i still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in what a miscreant like yourself would have to say. why don't you just admit that your intelligence threshold falls short to grasp the modern techniques in the art of debating?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Sike(m): 8:51am On Jul 22, 2012
Subcribed?!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 22, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa:

well said. Bt ur last topic shld b lyk ds.
6. Exam Malpractice! Who is to blame? Students, Teachers or Parents.
you're right
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 22, 2012
manny4life:

let me re-phrase. The fun i meant earlier means ''HOT'' while the Boring means ''COLD''. I hope you get my drift. And i'm not saying ''COLD'' topics shouldn't be debated but i think ''HOT'' topics should come first. Godfatherism is old news. What is trending on Nigeria dailies today is bokoharam(security), exam malpractices(Education), underdevelopment(infrastructure) corruption e.t.c Topics like these would definately warrant interest of everyone because this is what we are facing right now.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by cheddarking(m): 11:52am On Jul 22, 2012
Looking forward to tonight...
My money on Shymmex...
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Jambsupport(f): 12:20pm On Jul 22, 2012
OAM4J: The FINAL.

Date: Sunday 22nd July 2012 (Tomorrow)

Time: 8pm Nigeria Time

Topic of Debate Remains-

God-fatherism in Nigeria Politics: The main cause of corruption and developmental crises (Case study include Tinubu, Obasanjo, Tony Anenih and Babaginda). Discuss

And it will be:

Newcca Vs Shymmex

and

Coogar Vs Breexy047

@ the contestants:

Please study your opponent's argument and prepare your rebuttals and as many question as possible for your opponents.

You all will have 45 mins from the start of presentation of your rebuttals to go at each other.

@ Judges:

Thanks very much for your time and patience. A modified template will be sent:

Individual participant will be judge on the following:

Content = 4pts
Delivery = 4pts
Logical Argument = 4pts
Factual Backup = 4pts
Persuasiveness = 4pts

Total possible points for each participant will now be 20pts from a particular judge.

@ALL

Get ready people, the FINAL will be much fun please keep a date with us.

A new thread will be opened for the final and we will post the link on this thread and on the 1st thread

NB

Please of any of the participants/judges have a problem with the timing, please let us know on time.
shud anoda topic na
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Jambsupport(f): 12:21pm On Jul 22, 2012
OAM4J: The FINAL.

Date: Sunday 22nd July 2012 (Tomorrow)

Time: 8pm Nigeria Time

Topic of Debate Remains-

God-fatherism in Nigeria Politics: The main cause of corruption and developmental crises (Case study include Tinubu, Obasanjo, Tony Anenih and Babaginda). Discuss

And it will be:

Newcca Vs Shymmex

and

Coogar Vs Breexy047

@ the contestants:

Please study your opponent's argument and prepare your rebuttals and as many question as possible for your opponents.

You all will have 45 mins from the start of presentation of your rebuttals to go at each other.

@ Judges:

Thanks very much for your time and patience. A modified template will be sent:

Individual participant will be judge on the following:

Content = 4pts
Delivery = 4pts
Logical Argument = 4pts
Factual Backup = 4pts
Persuasiveness = 4pts

Total possible points for each participant will now be 20pts from a particular judge.

@ALL

Get ready people, the FINAL will be much fun please keep a date with us.

A new thread will be opened for the final and we will post the link on this thread and on the 1st thread

NB

Please of any of the participants/judges have a problem with the timing, please let us know on time.
shud b anoda topic na
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Jambsupport(f): 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2012
coogar:

if i managed to harness the power of all the world's telescopes to create a super telescope with the power to see billions of miles into space, i still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in what a miscreant like yourself would have to say. why don't you just admit that your intelligence threshold falls short to grasp the modern techniques in the art of debating?
azzept correctn mufu

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sites To Read Novels Online / So You Betrayed Me-a Christian Fiction / Whats Your Best African Novel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.