Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (17125 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by newacca: 6:33pm On Jul 21, 2012
Cal Thomas wrote in a column “In a free society, government reflects the soul of its people. If people want change at the top, they will have to live in different ways. Our major social problems are not the cause of our decadence. They are a reflection of it” This made me argue vehemently against the motion that says: Godfatherism in Nigeria politics is the main cause of corruption and developmental crisis. Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

Godfatherism orginiated from the Baptist Christian group. Godfathers are chosen to help raise Christian boy and teach him christian values. In the recent times,the true meaning of godfathers had been twisted and changed to political figures that have power to determine who gets nominated to contest in elections and who wins. If godfatherism is applied selflessly, it will immensely contribute to the development of our nation. Former President of Nigeria,Gen.Olusegun Obasanjo(Rtd) was a godfather to the late President,Umar Musa Yar'adua. It is a known fact that The Niger/Delta amnesty programme which started and got implemented on 25th June,2009 during Late Yar'adua's administration was initiated by Gen.Obasanjo Rtd. In this case,Gen. Obansanjo had played a key role in the implementation of the progamme as a godfather to Lt.Yar'adua. He was able to get this done by throwing his support behind Lt.Yar'Adua to be elected as President.
In the example above, godfatherism is seen as a positive practice that benefits the society.

Godfatherism is a cause of high level of corruption in Nigeria but it does not come as a major cause but consequent cause beneath the listed factors below amongst many other :

1. CULTURE-
The belief,art of living,customs of people in a soceity is what defines the value and culture of the people. In a soceity where giving gift to Chiefs and Traditional rulers to express gratitude or loyalty is a norm,then a fertile ground is created for corruption in such society as in case of Nigeria. Indiscipline,greed and selfishness has been adopted in this part of the world as custom. If discpline has been used to replace our culture in Nigeria,this factor could not have emerge as major source of corruption to Politics.

2. ETHNICITY-
Another major cause of corruption is Ethnicity. Tribalism as it is called in Nigeria,impose strains on ethical disposition of Public office holder when friends and kinsmen seek favour from public official.

3.LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY-
If people are not required to account for their stewardship corruption will flourish. All government ministries and organizations lack a transparent system of administration. The biggest corruption deterrent is when civil servants, ministers and all senior management in government corporations know that they are under scrutiny. I have lost count of how many times journalists have been detained in Nigeria simply for reporting the obvious. A transparent government has nothing to fear from the media.

Babangida Administration

The regime of general Babangida is seen as the body that legalized corruption. His administration refused to give account of the gulf war windfall, which is estimated to be $12.4 billion.

While I argue that godfatherism is not the main cause of corruption and developmental crises in Nigeria,I admit that godfatherism is an underlying cause of corruption in Nigeria.
Thank you!

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Cuddlemii: 6:42pm On Jul 21, 2012
Round 1 Contd
Debaters pick at least 1 opposing participant and oppose/rebut his arguments
*Any post from the audience will be hid at this time
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
I'll like to take on breezy047 in the next round (that's if I make it).

Cheers.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Cuddlemii: 6:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
Sagamite and other contestants, please post your arguments.
The reason for the hidden post was because we were waiting for all debaters to be present before kick off.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by OAM4J: 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2012
Sagamite all these things were well explained before now na
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2012
i love big meals - can i have debosky and sagamite to complete a double whopper meal?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by jaybee3(m): 6:48pm On Jul 21, 2012
I can't believe i'm at a party and having to be so anti-social so as to judge this debate. Where is the time keeper?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 6:48pm On Jul 21, 2012
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 21, 2012
Any other debater posting? I have read from 6 of them now. I have my pad and pen here and already filling in the scores.

Cuddlemii, please update us judges and audience.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 6:50pm On Jul 21, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a MOD and you can see hidden posts so you can see the simple questions I asked. Why did she not just answer?

Is she on some speed or something? What a fcking ediot.

I am not debating on this thread I have created on in my section.

Let her FCK OFF!

sagamite, you got to stick to the rules. the contestants don't make the rules, the organisers do! it wasn't convenient for me as well. i am actually @ one owambe party as we speak monitoring this ish! this is just for fun to sharpen verbal skills. no one is getting paid!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by OAM4J: 6:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
Judges I propose we postpone this, yes or no?

To sagamite:

Those questions are not suppose to be asked now if you have gone through the same explanation made available to others. You singlehandedly mess this up. Am dissapointed.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by casestudy: 6:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
them dey clap for this house at all? see grammar dey fly pass my head like bullets!!!!!!!! choi!!!!!!!! mods and debaters una too try! thumbs up guys!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 21, 2012
Please, don't waste the 2hrs I devoted into getting ready for this debate..

Just disqualify sagamite, and let's move on..
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2012
Who's winning?? grin

Shymmex is ready to tear a new arsehole in round 2..

I'll take on anyone! cool
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by SisiKill1: 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2012
Come now guys. . .this is all in good fun!

And y'all can't do me like this. . .I bought my ball gown for the dance with the winner

And by Gosh I'm gonna wear it!! $19.99 is no joke!! angry angry

Errr. . .does. . .does it matter that I can't dance worth a lick. embarassed
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2012
shymmex: I'll like to take on breezy047 in the next round (that's if I make it).

Cheers.

I'm ready for you like a ROCK if you make it.
Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sites To Read Novels Online / So You Betrayed Me-a Christian Fiction / Whats Your Best African Novel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.