Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread (6353 Views)

Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / Has GOD Given Humans Freewill Or Predestinated Humans?? / Yahweh And Freewill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 7:05am On Jul 27, 2012
Ihedinobi: ^^ @5solas, I think I should give other commenters an opportunity to respond although I was the one that requested your views. Depending on how they answer, I'll come in later.

Thank you for giving your thoughts on this and thereby keeping your word.

Thanks. It was what I could come up with within the time frame.

Hopefully as the comments come in I will bring in some explanations.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 27, 2012
Mr_Anony:
even after we have been sealed by the Holy Ghost, we are still not to grieve Him (we must put our wedding clothes on)
Irresistible grace says something along the lines of "once sealed, the Holy Spirit will compel you to wear your wedding garments".

I don't know if you're still of this opinion. But Rom 8 ("they that are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God"wink as well as Jude 16 stand on the fact that the seal of the Holy Spirit is not giving to us wedding garments for the feast. If we are such as have the Spirit and are sealed with Him, then the seal is evidenced by our putting on the garments given to us. Giving us the garments is equivalent to being given the knowledge of the Truth. Knowing that one can be saved by believing is not the same as believing unto salvation. Multitudes are in the first and only the Family of God are in the latter. So, apostasy is impossible for a child of the household (defined by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God), but very possible for those who have knowledge of this Truth but have no faith to be saved by.

Again, the garments correspond to the knowledge of salvation by grace through faith. Wearing them correspond to receiving this salvation by believing.

Once one becomes a Christian, it is a life of grace that he lives. He has no life but grace and the grace is superabundant. He can't go back on his decision to trust the Lord because his will, by his own choice, has been bound over to the Lord. Like Paul said, "it is no longer I that live..." The Christian's will is not neutral or free after having received salvation any more than the unbeliever's is before receiving it. The position of neutrality is when we have received knowledge of the Truth. That knowledge sets us free to choose. But once we do, we're no longer free to unchoose.

I think I will go on to bring in Andromida's position of remaining adamant in sin. No one who has the Spirit of God can remain adamant in sin. From the moment he does evil, his heart will not give him rest till he's back home with his Father. Oh believe me, I don't need writings from the Bible to know this. My own personal walk bore it out enough. Such evil as I did not do as an unbeliever I was reveling in as a believer and hating every minute of it wishing I knew how to get out. The very first instant I saw how I took off. I have also been in the place that I felt that I had insulted the Spirit of grace and made the sacrifice of Christ of none effect by persisting in a sin. I was so miserable. I soon smelled just a waft of warm air and, because I was an eagle, I got immediately on it and took off towards the mountains. It's just a thing of nature.

A true child of God, not an assumed one, cannot remain willfully in a sin. It will be either that he is ignorant as to the fact that this thing is indeed a sin (though he'll find himself so uncomfortable about it that he'll go seeking to understand if it is indeed) or he'll be ignorant as to how to escape and get out of it. In fact, the sign that the Spirit is in Him is that he can't be comfortable in that sin. He'll be miserable until he sees a way out.

What I'm saying is that even though we have become believers we can sin (and it takes ignorance of very subtle kinds for us to do so) but we cannot remain in sin. So again, the word about apostasy wherever you may find it in the Bible is not directed at the true child of God.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by MrAnony1(m): 3:03pm On Jul 27, 2012
@5solas, i think we are disagreeing on two almost entirely different things. I disagree with the calvinist view of irresistible grace because it is a grace that forces one to be saved and that is not scriptural while you disagree that a person accepts Christ of his own accord because it is not scriptural and suggests that the person obtained his salvation.
Let me point out something; I agree that we can do absolutely nothing of our own without the help of the Holy Spirit, Salvation is a gift of God's mercy.
What I don't agree with however is that once a person is saved, no matter what he does, the Holy Spirit will make him stay in line. i believe that a person can effectively resist the Holy Ghost and be truly lost.
Well I won't say much more for now, I'll look into this carefully and give a proper response in a bit
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 3:05pm On Jul 27, 2012
5solas:
Can man make choices? Yes!Does he have a will?Yes. Does he have freewill? No.

How can man make choices without freewill? How can man be said to possess a will if there is no freedom attached to it? How can you make choices if you cannot decide for yourself? If your choices are determine by a third party, then you are simply acting out his instructions.

5solas:
Man can make choices , and as far as he is concerned they are free, but he cannot act other than God wills and foreknows.

Why should one rely on an interpretation that is not consistent with behaviors/actions and events we find in the bible? God can force his will on man (e.g. pharaoh), no issues with that, but it is not the norm. From the time of Adam, we see that God gave man the opportunity to decide. Abraham did not act out God's will when he agreed to sacrifice Isaac, Job's was not influenced, Jonah exercised his options (even though he was later forced to do it God's way grin) e.t.c

5solas:
Paul was converted without his seeking God,

It was the other way round for Cornelius and Jailer in Acts 16. Just as men who did not seek God finds him so also will men that seek him. It was the same Paul that told his jailer that he just need to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. If the Jailer is not exercising his freewill, whose will is it then?

5solas:
But as we know not before our conversion if we are chosen or not, we should cry out to Him for our salvation because to Him it belongs.

This is contradicting everything you've said before now. If we do not have the ability to make such decisions, how can one cry out to God?
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by MrAnony1(m): 3:43pm On Jul 27, 2012
@Ihedinobi,
I think you misread my argument. The point was that I was trying to show the difference between the called and the chosen. I was also trying to show how one after being born-again and filled with the Holy Spirit can still stubbornly refuse to be led by Him and willfully sin hence such a person will be thrown out into the outer darkness.

Now this brings me to "hell". When you describe hell as Nothing, the picture I get in my mind is that of blankness. I am absolutely sure that this is not what hell is. Hell may or may not literally be a lake of fire but one thing is sure it is a place of eternal separation from God and it is eternal torment. Nothing in scripture suggests to me that it is a place of alone-ness rather scripture paints a picture of dreadful torment
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by truthislight: 4:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
@5solas
Friend, sorry to say this. But ur lack of insight into how the information in the bible is arrange is very obvious.

Imagine how u muddle every thing together!

In the bible, the almighty God proud himself as being a God of prophecy and has the ability to foresee the future.
That he is the only God that can tell from the beginning the end if he wants to.
But all u can do is bond every thing together and say it is predestination of humans. Hmmm!

This is the almighty giving evidence and proof of his Godship, that other gods cannot tell what the future of mankind will be, like in restoring his blessing and how he will do that.

He gave the first prophecy that the seed of the serpent will bruise the heel of the seed of the woman, and that the seed of the woman will bruise the head of the seed of the serpent.
Which other god can tell how he will do this?

That he will restore everlasting life to human which other god can tell how he will do that?

He then took his time in the bible to demonstrate this to build our faith for the future concerning things that has not yet taken place.
This things written aforetime were written for our instrucition so that we may have faith, faith for the things that has not yet taken place owing to this demonstrated evidence.

But all u can see in the bible u bend it to suite ur stand.

I dont wish to go in detail with anybody on this issue.

But if i may ask u, all you are trying to prove how rational is it to u?

If human can have a reason for doing things, and see justice and injustice, is it possible that the God of the bible dont have rational bases for doing things?
That he will be the effect and the cause of all things that human do, that means he sent satan to tempt eve?
Where then is his justice?

He will destine a child to be a medical doctor, then the other to be an arm rubber, he will later say he will judge then according to their deeds.
Who is then deceiving who. Judge what according whose did? God's predestination?

Is it possible that the one that created the ear cannot hear?
Is it possible that the one that created the eyes cannot see?

Is it possible that the creator of the brain cannot not think?

I thought we were created in his image with a sense of justice?

Even where in isaiah that God said that from the beginning that he is telling what the end condition of planet earth is, that it will be inhabited. U also use it in ur effort to proof that God from the womb has destined that he will create the majority of mankind and later burn them in fire.

If that makes sense to ur brain u thing that the almighty also have the same constrain.

No wonder churches breed atheist in the thousand every day.
Sorry.
I cant west my time trying to help or argue with someone that has no conscience to see injustice in an effort to call himself a saint.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by truthislight: 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2012
5solas: A lot of believers are wont to thump up ‘freewill’ whenever there is a mention of predestination. They feel uncomfortable by it. To some and also to some unbelievers, it seems a ‘cheap’ way to get to heaven. Imagine a person believing he will get to heaven simply because he was predestinated to! But if we think predestination a ‘cheap’ way to get to heaven, how about grace? It seems to me a ‘cheap’ way to get to heaven too. To think Christ died for you and took upon Himself the punishment due to you and with that offering you are perfected forever and He is able to save you completely. It is much easier for us believers to believe the doctrine of salvation by grace than to believe in the doctrine of predestination.
But that there is a predestination of everything that takes place and of salvation in particular , let us go into the Bible:
*We read in Eph 1:3-5 that we were chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world
Having being predestinated ‘’unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will’’,
* Matt 11:
25 ¶ At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
*2Thess.2: 13 ¶ But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because[b] God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation[/b] through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth
*Rev. 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life
*1Thess.5: 9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
From these verses it is clear also that there is a predestination to damnation, we may rightly infer it, but it is also clearly stated in the Bible:
*Rom.9: 22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
*1Peter2: 8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
*Jude 4 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
*Examples of predestination can be found in the Joseph story. He told his brothers,
Gen.50:20 ‘’ But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive’’.
*It was said of the sons of Isaac, "the elder shall serve the younger" and it was so.
*Judas betrayed Christ as prophesied and for thirty pieces of silver.
*Peter denied Christ thrice before the cock crowed.
*Peter was asked to go fishing and to look into the mouth of the first fish he catches and there he would find a coin to pay taxes with, and it was so!
*In the time of the judges, Barak was told he would not have the honour of killing Sisera,it would go to a woman, and it was so.

From all I have said about predestination, it should normally surprise me if they are people who still would argue there is no such thing, but I won’t be surprised for many of such persons already know the verses and still argue against it.
The teaching of predestination is supported by God’s foreknowledge. God knows how this world would end and it cannot end in any other way. His knowledge of future events is certain.
He says in Isaiah 46:9,10
“ Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:”…
God knows now how we all lived our lives , how we all died, who would go to heaven, or hell.
Can man make choices? Yes!Does he have a will?Yes. Does he have freewill? No.
Man can make choices , and as far as he is concerned they are free, but he cannot act other than God wills and foreknows. The heart of the king it is said, is in his hands “ as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will”.—Prov.21:1. He can restrain evil or permit evil.
Yet in all of this, we are exhorted to seek Him, we are to preach the gospel to all. If it was the intension of God to save all, all would be saved. He chose to save some and not all men. Men do not convert themselves, neither are they born again of themselves the Spirit of God makes the difference in who are saved and who are not. We do not find God, rather we are found of God Gal.4:9.
Paul was converted without his seeking God, it is a testimony of the fact that we are saved , not by “freewill” or anything in us but for something in God.
But as we know not before our conversion if we are chosen or not, we should cry out to Him for our salvation because to Him it belongs.
Christ did not die to give us an opportunity to save ourselves, He died to save as many as the “ Lord shall call” Acts2:39.

And as many as He saves can never be lost, for to save them was His determination and He did not die in vain.

Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr_Anony: @Ihedinobi,
I think you misread my argument. The point was that I was trying to show the difference between the called and the chosen. I was also trying to show how one after being born-again and filled with the Holy Spirit can still stubbornly refuse to be led by Him and willfully sin hence such a person will be thrown out into the outer darkness.

Now this brings me to "hell". When you describe hell as Nothing, the picture I get in my mind is that of blankness. I am absolutely sure that this is not what hell is. Hell may or may not literally be a lake of fire but one thing is sure it is a place of eternal separation from God and it is eternal torment. Nothing in scripture suggests to me that it is a place of alone-ness rather scripture paints a picture of dreadful torment

I completely agree with you.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 8:48pm On Jul 27, 2012

The nature described does not seem like that of a believer. Remember we are not of them who turn back to perdition, but of them who believe to the saving of the soul.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr_Anony: @Ihedinobi

Thank you so much for responding. It's much easier for me to learn the Lord when I have brothers to check me.

I did mention chaos, right? Once I read your comment, I wanted to say, "I don't mean nothing NOTHING or alone ALONE" but then I'd have to explain that anyway. I do not know if there's a lake of fire but I wouldn't mind if there is. I totally accept that there is torment and my effort was not describe the "material" or "physical" aspect of it. I was heading for spiritual and moral meanings.

What does it mean to be cast out of God's presence forever, to be left to your own devices such that you are utterly dead to Him? What is the spiritual or moral meaning of that? Try just a little and imagine this world, this very one, utterly without God. What do you think it would be like? Now that is what I was trying to get across.

I know what being without God was like. At that time, whatever I might have read from the Bible or heard from Christians, God was dead to me. I didn't know Him. I knew of Him and wanted that reality in my life and my life in it (which is why I got saved). Now I remember the misery of those days and place side by side with it other days when I do not just know of Him, but I HAVE SEEN AND KNOWN HIM and He did not and would not know me. I couldn't have Him then even if I wished because I'd thrown my chance away. Now I have to live eternally with that. Even if there were multitudes milling around me and I had all the amusements in this world to distract me and all the beauties and wonders of this world should remain (which is very doubtful) and I were to remain in it, I would be miserable all of the rest of my days.

My point was not that one would be physically alone: the Bible says that anyone whose name was not found in the Lamb's book of life would be thrown into the lake of fire and we know that at least three intelligent beings, the man of lawlessness, his prophet and Satan, will be there. Nor was it that hell would physically be NOTHING, like no feeling, no thoughts, no. . .anything. No! I was looking into the moral meaning. What it means to exist apart from God because you rejected Him.

And now that I have started to unwind my thoughts again here, it's impressed itself upon me very strongly that there will most definitely be regret. Why? Jesus did mention "weeping and gnashing of teeth", didn't He? And do you realize that as much as any human being rejects God, they always want His Things? They want morality (His own, no less) but not Him, so they would build a tower and debate in it to produce their own morality. They want comfort, whether emotional, physical, or spiritual, but they'd sooner make some idol someplace to which they can resort than bow the knee to Father. You know what I am saying. It is not heaven that children of Adam don't want, it's God in heaven. This is always the mark of the evil one: a strong coveting of God's things with a rejection of God Himself.

Then at the judgment, it is found that it is impossible to separate God from His things. You cannot have conditions of heaven without God. You reject Him, you reject all that He can give. The result? Terrible regret and anguish, but no repentance because the Spirit is unavailable to you.

I don't think it's very important to know whether or not there is a lake filled with fire or whether it'll be small enough for people in it to interact or whatever. The only thing I consider important is that God will not be there. Being anywhere without Him is a torment in itself without adding the chaos that results from the absence of the harmony His Presence guarantees. Hell will no doubt be utterly terrible, without compare. Perhaps there will be unquenchable fire and worms that do not die to cause incredible anguish to those in it (matter of fact, that's what I see when I conjure up a mental picture of hell), but whether or not this is materially the case, there is no doubt of this whatever: God will not be there and where God is not, whatever you may have there, even if you could count and name it would be NOTHING. And that is incredible anguish and torment!
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 27, 2012

You said you would study this more carefully so I intend to await the outcome of that. The comment I am about to make is just one more thing to test against the Scriptures as you examine them.

That bolded part is my interest. Now, the truth of the Scriptures is that if such a person as you described in that bolded part could sin willfully and remain adamant in sin, they will without doubt lose their salvation. But this here is the question? Can such a person, one who is born of God and has the seal that he is born of God which is that God's Own Nature (the very Spirit of God) is within him do such a thing? Can such a one sin willfully? And can he remain adamant in sin when it is revealed to him that he is in sin? Is it possible that one evidence that he has the Spirit of God is that he will not remain in sin once he is shown that he is in it?
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 4:33am On Jul 28, 2012
truthislight: @5solas

But all u can do is bond every thing together and say it is predestination of humans. Hmmm!

Please I need your an explanation of this statement.

You had said the life of Christ was predestined.How about the response of at least some people to Him.

Acts 4
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?

26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.

27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,

28[b] For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done[/b].

No wonder churches breed atheist in the thousand every day.

We agree! The breeding of atheists is as a result of false doctrines.

I cant west my time trying to help or argue with someone that has no conscience to see injustice in an effort to call himself a saint.

Rom.9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

When Paul had said God chose Jacob over Esau, before they had done anything (good or bad),he imagined his hearers asking the above. Surely they must have thought it unfair too as you do or else they would not murmur "against God".

Rom.9

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 4:56am On Jul 28, 2012
Mr_Anony: @5solas, i think we are disagreeing on two almost entirely different things. I disagree with the calvinist view of irresistible grace because it is a grace that forces one to be saved and that is not scriptural while you disagree that a person accepts Christ of his own accord because it is not scriptural and suggests that the person obtained his salvation.
Let me point out something; I agree that we can do absolutely nothing of our own without the help of the Holy Spirit, Salvation is a gift of God's mercy.
What I don't agree with however is that once a person is saved, no matter what he does, the Holy Spirit will make him stay in line. i believe that a person can effectively resist the Holy Ghost and be truly lost.
Well I won't say much more for now, I'll look into this carefully and give a proper response in a bit

I think you do not understand the notion of irresistible grace. It doesn't force anyone to be saved. What is meant is that it will at God's set time avail.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 5:54am On Jul 28, 2012
Zikkyy:
How can man make choices without freewill? How can man be said to possess a will if there is no freedom attached to it? How can you make choices if you cannot decide for yourself? If your choices are determine by a third party, then you are simply acting out his instructions.
Is it a third party doing this post for you? And yet you could not have done this post if God willed otherwise.

John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Zikkyy:
Why should one rely on an interpretation that is not consistent with behaviors/actions and events we find in the bible? God can force his will on man (e.g. pharaoh), no issues with that, but it is not the norm. From the time of Adam, we see that God gave man the opportunity to decide. Abraham did not act out God's will when he agreed to sacrifice Isaac, Job's was not influenced,

Acts 4
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.
27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

Zikkyy:

Jonah exercised his options (even though he was later forced to do it God's way grin) e.t.c
Lol. He wasn’t forced. He was made willing

Phil.2: 13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Zikkyy:

It was the other way round for Cornelius and Jailer in Acts 16. Just as men who did not seek God finds him so also will men that seek him. It was the same Paul that told his jailer that he just need to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. If the Jailer is not exercising his freewill, whose[b] will[/b] is it then?
God converts. God saves.

John 1
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
It is obviously better to seek him.

'Will' is not equal to 'Freewill'.

Zikkyy:
This is contradicting everything you've said before now. If we do not have the ability to make such decisions, how can one cry out to God?
It seems contradictory to me that God who chose some persons before He laid the foundation of the world, should also command that the gospel should be preached to all. But both are true.
We don’t know if we are of the number of the elects or not (before conversion), but we do know He commands us to repent and believe.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by 5solas(m): 8:53am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas: :

Do you agree that at least some things are predestined? How can you tell which are predestined and which are not, if so?

Zikkyy:

Events could be pre-destined, but does it take away free-will? I think we are mixing things here. Dreaming of an event prior to it occurrence have nothing to do with freewill. It will happen if it is not within our power to change it.

It necessarily takes away freewill.

However, the point of my post is that everything that happens is predestined.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by truthislight: 8:54am On Jul 28, 2012
@5solas
When i said u bonded every thing together. I mean that u mixed or took all prophecy in the bible to project predestination of human.

If God foretold the coming of christ does that mean that he has fixed all his actions?
If satan knew that God has destined Jesus not to fall why then did he satan went ahead to tempt Jesus? Or, is it that satan knows that God does not destine human actions.

If i even use the word destined for Jesus, then it is not in the sense that u use it, am only saying that God "fore told" his coming.

See, God demonstrated in the bible over and over his ability to accurately fortell the future so that we can put faith in the other prophecies about the coming kingdom of God. That he does this does not mean that he has destined every single thing we will ever do as human.

See, also. God did not predetermined the individual persons in Roman 8:29,30.
He only predetermined the number of person that will be fashion like his son.
That is the number of persons that will be co-rulers with his son.
No body was destined to belong to this group, but as people work out there righteouseness they can be picked by God.

That is why Jesus can say "just as my father has made a covenant with me for a kingdom, so also i make a covenant with u for a kingdom". Luke.

This shows that there was no covenant for them individually.
But that was when they were taken into the covenant.

But a covenant was made for Christ and a covenant for a fixed number of people to rule with Jesus christ.

This people have a job to do with christ for a thousand yrs. Revelation 20:6.
Peace.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 9:12am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:
Is it a third party doing this post for you? And yet you could not have done this post if God willed otherwise.

But he did not will otherwise. It is not about what God can do, it is about what he has done; allowing us to make our choices without interference.

5solas:
John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

You assume every quote that has to do with God's authority suits your purpose. Do you really think anybody can have authority over the son of God, unless allowed by the Almighty? This one is a special case oh.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by truthislight: 9:18am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:

It necessarily takes away freewill.

Someone on this thread did use a very fine analogy.

He said. "if a dream was seen for someone for a promotion and on getting to the office the letter was lying on his table, and the letter shows he has been promoted indeed, and at the same time transfared to another country being Irag or sudan.
Are u saying he has no option of rejecting the promotion?".

As this fine illustration shows, foretelling event is just what it is, events.
The human person has all the freewill to accept or reject it. QED

Most of what we have in the bible are foretelling of event, like asking for God's kingdom to come, it has nothing to do with who goes in or not.
But only shows that God has foreordained that he will establish a kingdom. QED.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 9:56am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:
Lol. He wasn’t forced. He was made willing

grin What's the difference?

5solas:
Phil.2: 13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Php 2:12 And so, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you but even more now that I am absent, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
Php 2:13 For it is God who is producing in you both the desire and the ability to do what pleases him.

Don't get carried away by Apostle Paul's writing style. Can we really do much without the Almighty? No. But it does not take away our responsibility to 'work out our salvation'. The above is not telling us that it is the Almighty that is working out our salvation (on our behalf).

1 Like

Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 10:29am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:
'Will' is not equal to 'Freewill'.

Can you exercise 'will' if you don't have freedom to use it? think about it. It's not possible to have a 'will' if you can not exercise it. That's the way i see it.

Joh 1:12 However, to all who received him, those believing in his name, he gave authority to become God's children,
Joh 1:13 who were born, not merely in a genetic sense, nor from lust, nor from man's desire, but from the will of God.

You highlighted verse 13 without considering verse 12. We do not determine our salvation; that's for God to decide, but we do have to receive /believe.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Enigma(m): 10:36am On Jul 28, 2012
Per J I Packer previously posted here https://www.nairaland.com/477833/usual-suspects-co-suffering/1#6382869

The particular antinomy which concerns us here is the apparent opposition between divine sovereignty and human responsibility, or (putting it more biblically) between what God does as King and what He does as Judge. Scripture teaches that, as King, He orders and controls all things, human actions among them, in accordance with His own eternal purpose. Scripture also teaches that, as Judge, He holds every man responsible for the choices he makes and the courses of action he pursues. Thus hearers of the gospel are responsible for their reaction; if they reject the good news, they are guilty of unbelief. “He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed.” Again, Paul, entrusted with the gospel, is responsible for preaching it; if he neglects his commission, he is penalized for unfaithfulness. “Necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!” God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility are taught us side by side in the same Bible; sometimes, indeed, in the same text. Both are thus guaranteed to us by the same divine authority; both, therefore, are true. It follows that they must be held together, and not played off against each other. Man is a responsible moral agent, though he is also divinely controlled; man is divinely controlled, though he is also a responsible moral agent. God’s sovereignty is a reality, and man’s responsibility is a reality too. This is the revealed antinomy in terms of which we have to do our thinking about divine command and free-will.

To our finite minds, of course, the thing is inexplicable. It sounds like a contradiction, and our first reaction is to complain that it is absurd. Paul notices this complaint in Rornans 9: “Thou wilt say then unto me, Why does he [God] yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?” (Rom. 9:19). If, as our Lord, God orders all our actions, how can it be reasonable or right for Him to act also as our Judge, and condemn our shortcomings? Observe how Paul replies. He does not attempt to demonstrate the propriety of God’s action; instead, he rebukes the spirit of the question. “Nay but, 0 man, who are thou that repliest against God?” What the objector has to learn is that he, a creature and a sinner, has not right whatsoever to find fault with the revealed ways of God. Creatures are not entitled to register complaints about their Creator.7

This incomprehensible antinomy—God’s will, man’s will, and free will—occupies a large part of God’s truth. Does this subject have a message for ministers and Christians in this day of doctrinal indifference and ignorance? It most certainly does.

1 Like

Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 28, 2012
I find it quite upsetting to have to defend doctrines or to have to watch them defended. Are we all children of God or what? Do we all of us commenting on this thread have the Spirit of God or not? How is it that we disagree?

Please my brothers, there is absolutely no need to defend a position here. Rather is there need to test it against the Scriptures.

If Calvinism is correct in its entirety, for instance, how is a loving God also a tyrant? Is there not inconsistency in such a loving God whose desire is that none should perish (2 Pet 3:9; 1 Tim 1:9) saying to us, "come unto me. . .and I will give you rest" when He knew full well that we could not and then enabling only a few to come? I think that there is a contradiction there. If God cannot and does not lie, then it must be true that He indeed wishes to save everyone and, being God, if He willed it, His will would be irresistible. It would be quite dishonest of God, judging by His revealed character, to say He wants none to perish and then wills only a few to live. The Scriptures say that He did will salvation. He said, if any man believes on the Son of God, he will be saved. That we can choose hardly excludes grace. The first thing that the hearing of the gospel does to a man is free his will from the stranglehold of sin so that he again has a neutral or free will to choose to take what the gospel offers and be free of sin and owned by righteousness or reject it and return to his vomit (John 8:32; 3:19). Is there any disagreement between this and the revealed Nature of Love (God) and in 1 Cor 13?

What about Arminianism? Is there not a question as to "the foundation of God (which we're given to know is Jesus Christ) standeth sure" agreeing with "if you do not do well or you slip up, you will lose your foundation of Christ?" I think there is. The foundation is sure and the proof of its existence in the life of any man is that they depart from iniquity. They cannot choose not to being servants of righteousness (Rom 6:18) and bondslaves of God (Ex 21:5-6; Deut 15:16-17) by their own choice. Irresistible grace does not hold here because you don't have to sustain salvation by again and again choosing to stay saved. It is a once-done thing. He says to God, I love you and your ways and want to live in your house forever, and a binding covenant that lasts forever is established such that from then on the brand of his God upon him makes it impossible for him to be other than he is. . .forever. The provisions of the new covenant put completely on God Himself the responsibility of keeping the Christian in Christ (Jer 31:33; 32:40; 1 John 3:9-10).

What is my point? Test every spirit. Arminianism is not Christ because it takes away from Christ: the trustworthiness and the strength of the new covenant (which is founded on Jesus Christ not the Christian) are called into question by it, making God suspect as to His reliability. Calvinism is not Christ because it takes away from the mercy of a loving God Who would allow Himself to be made sin for the salvation of those He loves, it makes Him as dishonest as Arminianism makes Him too.

We should be Bereans in everything (Acts 17:11). We should be able to test things against the Bible and not the Bible against things.

Finally, if we were all to lay aside our spiritual (?) prejudices and examine the Word of God, we will be surprised to find that some elements in both Arminianism and Calvinism were borrowed from Christ. We would see how a loving God predestinates without binding man to His Will whether he, man, likes it or not. We will see how God's love or hatred for people before they're even born is totally dependent on their acceptance or rejection of Him when they have been born. We will see how punishment for rejecting God is less an act of a vindictiveness and more an act of Love accepting rejection withou taking away justice.

I hate it when brethren squabble. It tells me that they are unaware that they belong to one family and have one Spirit. Take the blinders off and learn to discern one another.

1 Like

Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Enigma(m): 10:54am On Jul 28, 2012
^^^ Like.

We should try to avoid the "either/or" or "absolutist" trap. smiley

(Edit: see also the quote immediately above yours)
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 11:11am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:
It seems contradictory to me that God who chose some persons before He laid the foundation of the world, should also command that the gospel should be preached to all. But both are true.

God chose the Israelite (probably before he laid the foundation of the world).

Rom 9:4 who are Israelis. To them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the Law, the worship, and the promises.
Rom 9:5 To the Israelis belong the patriarchs, and from them, the Messiah descended, who is God over all, the one who is forever blessed. Amen.

The Gentiles were subsequently incorporated into the equation (don't know when that was decided grin. But Paul tells us that God can also sideline those he has chosen

Rom 11:20 That's right! They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you remain only because of faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid!
Rom 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he certainly will not spare you, either.
Rom 11:22 Consider, then, the kindness and severity of God: his severity toward those who fell, but God's kindness toward you—if you continue receiving his kindness. Otherwise, you too will be cut off.

God chose people; that fine, but they can also be cut-off. abi?

5solas:
Acts 4
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

Act 4:27 For in this city both Herod and Pontius Pilate actually met together with the gentiles and the people of Israel to oppose your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed,
Act 4:28 to carry out everything that your hand and will had predetermined to take place.

Edit: I believe you did read the last post by truthislight, Act 4:28 is all about events (i.e what will happen). Anyways. . .

ever considered the bible verse below (1 Corinthians 2:7-cool

1Co 2:7 Instead, we speak about God's wisdom in a hidden secret, which God destined before the world began for our glory.
1Co 2:8 None of the rulers of this world understood it, because if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

How can Satan and his crew stop the plan from happening if it was predestined to happen; when God can just will Judas to sell out his oga; when God can easily will the people to choose Barabas and not Christ when Pilate made the offer; When God can easily harden the heart of Pilate. What's the role of Satan in the whole event (in God's plan)? Maybe it was Satan inciting the people to choose Barabas and request that Christ be crucified. How was it Judas became the chosen one (to betray Jesus)? could it be because he already possess the trait/character of the person for the Job? (always dipping his hands in the money bag). Could Satan been able to convince Peter? No doubt God already knew how it will play out; did he direct it?

Maybe you don't know everything about this predestination or how it operates. Think about it smiley
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 11:17am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:
We don’t know if we are of the number of the elects or not (before conversion), but we do know He commands us to repent and believe.

and you don't think the bit above (in red) is all about making free-choices?
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 11:41am On Jul 28, 2012
5solas:

From what i read you say, predestination is knowing how things or people turn out; it is not about influencing the events that result in the ultimate outcome. Am i correct?
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 28, 2012
The Lord bless you, Enigma. Thank God for you.
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Enigma(m): 11:59am On Jul 28, 2012
^^^ Thanks bro and everyone on the thread; as someone reading most posts quietly in the background I have to say that i have thoroughly enjoyed the thread and the spirit in which it has been conducted. smiley
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 12:27pm On Jul 28, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ Thanks bro and everyone on the thread; as someone reading most posts quietly in the background I have to say that i have thoroughly enjoyed the thread and the spirit in which it has been conducted. smiley

It's not free oh angry can't speak for the others, but send my 10% grin
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
Zikkyy:
ever considered the bible verse below (1 Corinthians 2:7-cool

Damn! what's wrong with NL i typed 7 - 8
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

It's not free oh angry can't speak for the others, but send my 10% grin

hehehehehe you crook you grin
Re: GRACE: Destiny vs Freewill: Brethren, Let Us Break Bread by Zikkyy(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ihedinobi:

hehehehehe you crook you grin

cool grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Religion Section Reference Library (sticky) / Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres / The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.