Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? (11558 Views)

Why You Should Be Very Careful What Church You Attend - A MUST READ! / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / Will You Attend These Type Of Churches?(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by engrtee(f): 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2012
Christianity is having a diffrent dimention in nigeria due to various motives we have for being in the religion.....

Quest For Power:
A foreign magazine ranked nigeria pastor among the most influential in the country..,...leading a congregation of people gives one fame....in nigeria, pastors aren't questioned for fear of offending their God.....

Material Gain/Food/Money:
Christianity has been a very lucrative source of möney..,the emphasis on tithe, the bianual haruest and barza, offeratory and thanksgiving has led many to be a church leader.,...the way church leader front their wealth especially the way they acquire private jet has turned the church into a buisnes worth investment

Miracles/Prosperity:
Nigerians are known for moving from one church to another looking for miracles....then they settle there.,when another problem start, they begin the search again

Wedding/Marriage/Family:
Before one get married today, both partners must attend the same church...if not, one will have to change......
Some of us are just born in a church and just accept it without ...
Any attempt to leave the church might result in been disowned by the family

Fear Of Death/Hell:
a friend of mine was born a catholic. He was convinced that catholic worship idol and so will be punished by God so he switched to Jehovah's witness. Later, he was told that Jehovah's witnesses reject heaven and hell, Trinity, etc so he moved to grail message where he believes he will reincarnate to amend his ways

All these are wrong motives for attending the church we should attend.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Ortis: 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2012
I go 2 church cos i need 2 marry a virgin sister ;DI go 2 church cos i need 2 marry a virgin sister

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Sunofgod(m): 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2012
. . . Just to show face,
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2012
Another Christian bashing thread

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Privy(m): 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
@ OP, what is the motive of your write-up?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by tchaik(m): 6:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
careytommy: Another Christian bashing thread
Answer the question or keep shut; don't try to derail the topic!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by stagger: 6:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
I switched to my present church because I needed to have a more complete understanding of Christianity and I can say that I have not been disappointed. I have made more progress in my life since then than I have ever made previously.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by umechuma: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2012
I don't go Nigerian Churches anymore because 90% of churches in Nigeria are fake and money hungry.
I read my Bible at home and make research on what I don't understand online.
Go to a Nigerian Church,Never again!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Bandy10: 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2012
I no dey go cos church na biz center for naija.How pastor go dey ride private jet but members go dey waka on leg come church
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Oluesther(f): 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2012
Ortis: I go 2 church cos i need 2 marry a virgin sister ;DI go 2 church cos i need 2 marry a virgin sister

For where?
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by oladayo042: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2012
I go to church because I have to.
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by alaoeri: 6:40pm On Jul 22, 2012
Chicks plenty for winners & christ embassy. wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Leorichy: 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
i go to church because i believe their is a living God somewhere,who brought me to this earth,and he cares for me,so i have to worship him! I dont care about the church i attend,cos i can always reference to my bible

9 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by kheart(m): 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
Hmmmm make i adjust my kujera sit back relax and watch d drama.
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by kheart(m): 6:45pm On Jul 22, 2012
[quote author=Leorichy][color=#000099][ i believe their is a living God somewhere, hmmm i thought jesus died or would die either ways.
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by yommy2sure(m): 6:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
To say Hi to my Pastor.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Emmy9ite(m): 6:47pm On Jul 22, 2012
#signing in...........

I go to church to have a broader knowledge of the bible and thats why i have remained in my church......i was born and raised in the catholic church,i wont change for anything..

7 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Anniesalis(f): 6:47pm On Jul 22, 2012
Bt talking abt offering and tithe, a pastor wud neva force u against ur wish. As for me i go to church for more impactation of the word of God.
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 22, 2012
In my church, the pastor teaches us not only the ways of God
but also activities around our normal life, how we can overcome
many life challenges both biblical and unbiblical.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by begwong: 6:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
@ op,the reason(s) that makes u go to your shrine,mosque,babalawo,atheist,cow shrine,budha or war-ever is/are same reasons dat makes me go to church tongue

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by FrenchyL(m): 6:50pm On Jul 22, 2012
What a stupid thread. Don't some of you who put up posts against the church of Jesus Christ have enough sense to know that you're up against something that's bigger than you and your small minds??

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by gramci: 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
There are other ways to worship the Lord other than the church.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Oluesther(f): 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
I go to Church because God said we should not forsake the gathering of the saints.

I go to Church to be sharpened. Proverbs 27:17 says "Iron sharpeneth iron....".

I go to Church to hear the Word of God and to receive spiritual impartation.

I go to Church to meet and interact with my fellow christians. No man is an Island.

Test whatever any pastor tells you with the scriptures. Does it go in line with the Word of God? If yes, do it. Does the Bible say you should pay tithes, give offerings, sow seeds, live holy, etc.; do them all. Forget about what the money is used for.

Except a man (or woman) be born again, he (or she) cannot see the kingdom of God.

Hope U all went to Church today.
Remain blessed!

25 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
To learn His word and grow spiritually,no pastor can coerce me to do what i don't want to do,if he likes,he should praise me from now till next year,i have the final say.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by r231(m): 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2012
They give food after service grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by baddestboy1: 6:54pm On Jul 22, 2012
i go because its sunday
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Raymond003: 6:54pm On Jul 22, 2012
I go to church in order to hav a good understandin and spiritual interpritatn of scriptures beyond canal explanatn.
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 22, 2012
I goes to church because my bible says "neglect not the gathering of the brethren" is a requirement from every Christ like..

And in such gatherings i acquire knowledge and learn the mystery's in the word

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by gramci: 6:54pm On Jul 22, 2012
FrenchyL: What a stupid thread. Don't some of you who put up posts against the church of Jesus Christ have enough sense to know that you're up against something that's bigger than you and your small minds??

There is nothing stupid about the thread, as a Christian you should be ready to defend your faith via superior argument

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by killuminati(m): 6:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
I'm a muslim but I go from church to church looking for cuties... grin lol get aroundgringringrin
Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by begwong: 6:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
FrenchyL: What a stupid thread. Don't some of you who put up posts against the church of Jesus Christ have enough sense to know that you're up against something that's bigger than you and your small minds??
wat baffles me is; u neva see front page topics against islam or muhammad from those godless mods

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Attend The Church You Attend? by Privy(m): 6:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
@ OP, People go to church for all sorts of different reasons like some of the ones you mentioned in your initial post. However, it would be wrong to assume that those are the reasons why the majority of Christians attend their current churches.

I can give you some reasons why some of the Christians go to church:
1. To worship alongside other Christians and learn more about God.
2. Good/positive social interaction.
3. Spiritual growth and strength.
4. A need for counselling on/solution to a certain physical/emotional/financial/spiritual challenge.
5. An opportunity to serve God by helping/teaching/influencing others.
6. Depth of teaching/preaching of the pastor/preachers in the church.
7. Music (how well the choir sings).
8. How efficiently organized the church is.
9. The positive impact of the church (or some of her members) on its (or their) community/neighbours.

All the reasons and many more unmentioned can affect the church one attends. If you've been to more than one church, then you would have observed that no two churches are the same when these factors I listed above are considered.

From a Christian perspective, I think it's improper to judge someone until you know, explicitly, why he attends a certain church, regardless of what your opinions about the church (or her members/pastor(s)) are.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jesus Christ Perform Solat / To Become A Nigerian Pastor: What Qualification Is Needed? / Deeper Knowledge in Witch Craft revealed by Edo Witch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.