Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS (15586 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by antitpiah: 4:26am On Jul 23, 2012
kandiikane:

Excuse me, did you go to school? Who told you this rubbish? It's not like he quoted a sentence or paraphrased a sentence and referenced the author. He lifted whole sections of it and pretended it was his. If this was a university coursework, he will fail it because he cheated

First of all, let he who has no sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest you be judged. I dont know why you are getting all worked up over some stupiddd debate where all the participants cheated. Shymmex was just unfortunate to have been caught. It is not as if the other contestants didnt cheat. They all did. They all plagiarized, in one way or the other. Secondly, this is not a university, and it will be stupidd and pompous of any of us to judge them by the same standard universities use. The rules of the debate were vague and wasnt well articulated from the start. Not sure if even the judges know what plagiarism entails. Thirdly, it is a freaking debate, I mean, you didnt expect him or anyone else for that matter to come up with an original idea, do you? He has to rely on other people's work, which frankly they all did. Fourthly, the ideas they all presented are already in the public domain. Simply stated, there is nothing they said that is not already out there, which raises the question: Whose truth is it anyway?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 4:30am On Jul 23, 2012
Kandiikane

Look at the mongrel who's running her mouth, why didn't you get selected? At the end of the day, I was debating a topic I don't really know much about - but I still did a damn good job..

Graduate from uni before you start comparing yourself to people who have gone past the stage you're right now more than 5 years ago. You're still in your second year in uni, and probably the dumbest in your class - based on the level of intellect you exhibit on NL.

The only talent you've got, is writing about your sexual experiences on NL - stick to that, and stop following me around like a dog, slag.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 4:34am On Jul 23, 2012
antitpiah:
First of all, let he who has no sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest you be judged. I dont know why you are getting all worked up over some stupiddd debate where all the participants cheated. Shymmex was just unfortunate to have been caught. It is not as if the other contestants didnt cheat. They all did. They all plagiarized, in one way or the other. Secondly, this is not a university, and it will be stupidd and pompous of any of us to judge them by the same standard universities use. The rules of the debate were vague and wasnt well articulated from the start. Not sure if even the judges know what plagiarism entails. Thirdly, it is a freaking debate, I mean, you didnt expect him or anyone else for that matter to come up with an original idea, do you? He has to rely on other people's work, which frankly they all did. Fourthly, the ideas they all presented are already in the public domain. Simply stated, there is nothing they said that is not already out there, which raises he question: Whose truth is it anyway?

Fam, they're all stans - everyone in the debate copied examples from one or more sources, and they never even cited their sources. And these guys are Nigerians who lived through the system - something I never did, yet I was still able put up a performance that was above average.

These guys are pathetic..
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 4:38am On Jul 23, 2012
Kandiikane's IQ is definitely below 20 - this is the same slut who claimed she's Sierra leone/Gambia... grin

This compulsive liar don't even know Sierra Leone and Gambia are two different countries.. grin

And how the fvck did Senegal/Gambia become Sierra leone/Gambia? grin

This girl is a re.tard - I bet she slobs everywhere like a down syndrome having scrounger.

Chimp faced cu.nt.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 23, 2012
I am not holding brief for Shymmex, but in earnest, I have gone through the entire debate articles and all the debaters plagiarized, I guess the decision to disqualify Shymmex may have been based on the facts that it was a popular demands by participants who went through his alternative threads than plagiarism, and we are thankful that it was successful this time. Shymmex, you broke the 11th commandment, which is "Thou shall not get caught".

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by DExplorer1: 8:27am On Jul 23, 2012
kandiikane:

Excuse me, did you go to school? Who told you this rubbish? It's not like he quoted a sentence or paraphrased a sentence and referenced the author. He lifted whole sections of it and pretended it was his. If this was a university coursework, he will fail it because he cheated

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know

@ the bolded, YES! and that 'rubbish' came from a professional view. If you read my comment again then you will see that i used the word "IF". I repeat, there's NOTHING wrong in copying someone else's work, if credit is duly attached. This' called a debate and i think every 'weapon' to defend and aid points should be granted. No doubt some fuss was instigated as an 'attack' against his content and i refuse to believe that the judges were manipulated because of that.
[p] My friend, we all know there's NOTHING wrong in copyright so far it's copied RIGHT!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Cyberconnect12: 8:53am On Jul 23, 2012
Cuddlemii: Shymmex's Argument-

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Rhapsody1(f): 10:14am On Jul 23, 2012
The debaters did good and I must say I learnt a thing or two. While I agree that all the debaters had to add other peoples ideas to their own to make their arguements richer, it is completely another thing to lift paragraphs of another person's work without any form of acknowledgment. All the same, the idea of this debate is to share ideas, learn and generally have fun.
On that note, it is totally childish to allow something like this denegerate into name calling. My English teacher then used to say, "Whether you pass or fail, do so honorably". It was just a debate! That you did not come first does not mean you are no longer intelligent. Plus, I am sure some of the debaters were not too familiar with the topic anyway. So acting like a sore loser (although in the real sense, nobody lost) is something you expect from kids not adults. So could the swords be sheathed now, please? Thank you.
Hope there will be more of this. I enjoyed it. Kudos to the organizers.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by DExplorer1: 10:27am On Jul 23, 2012
Rhapsody!:
The debaters did good and I must say I learnt a thing or two. While I agree that all the debaters had to add other peoples ideas to their own to make their arguements richer, it is completely another thing to lift paragraphs of another person's work without any form of acknowledgment. All the same, the idea of this debate is to share ideas, learn and generally have fun.
On that note, it is totally childish to allow something like this denegerate into name calling. My English teacher then used to say, "Whether you pass or fail, do so honorably". It was just a debate! That you did not come first does not mean you are no longer intelligent. Plus, I am sure some of the debaters were not too familiar with the topic anyway. So acting like a sore loser (although in the real sense, nobody lost) is something you expect from kids not adults. So could the swords be sheathed now, please? Thank you.
Hope there will be more of this. I enjoyed it. Kudos to the organizers.

I laugh at the bolded. That's the meaning of 'real' fun here and that shouldn't be strange to you because even on this comment you might get some. LOL

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by kandiikane(m): 11:07am On Jul 23, 2012
D-Explorer:

@ the bolded, YES! and that 'rubbish' came from a professional view. If you read my comment again then you will see that i used the word "IF". I repeat, there's NOTHING wrong in copying someone else's work, if credit is duly attached. This' called a debate and i think every 'weapon' to defend and aid points should be granted. No doubt some fuss was instigated as an 'attack' against his content and i refuse to believe that the judges were manipulated because of that.
[p] My friend, we all know there's NOTHING wrong in copyright so far it's copied RIGHT!

Ok, so they can give you an assignment and you can copy whole sections of an author's work as long as you say it's from so and so?

WTF? I laugh in chinese!

Like I said, it's not like he quoted or paraphased to support his own argument, he lifted whole sections of it and made it his argument. There is a difference.

@antipiah, blah, blah, blah? Even if the others cheated, I personally wanted to respond to shymexx. The goat is too dum.b to enter anything. That's why he got caught.

shymmex: Kandiikane's IQ is definitely below 20 - this is the same slut who claimed she's Sierra leone/Gambia... grin

This compulsive liar don't even know Sierra Leone and Gambia are two different countries.. grin

And how the fvck did Senegal/Gambia become Sierra leone/Gambia? grin

This girl is a re.tard - I bet she slobs everywhere like a down syndrome having scrounger.

Chimp faced cu.nt.

Your stup!d.ity makes me sick.

Look at what you just typed. Look at the question you asked.

Hood rat!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Emilo(m): 11:09am On Jul 23, 2012
Judges am so bewildered over the disqualification of shymmex, i see no reason for such action. Just as someone rightly pointed out, Who didn't lift someone's else thought?.....Show me!!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by kandiikane(m): 11:11am On Jul 23, 2012
shymmex: Kandiikane

Look at the mongrel who's running her mouth, why didn't you get selected? At the end of the day, I was debating a topic I don't really know much about - but I still did a damn good job..

Graduate from uni before you start comparing yourself to people who have gone past the stage you're right now more than 5 years ago. You're still in your second year in uni, and probably the dumbest in your class - based on the level of intellect you exhibit on NL.

The only talent you've got, is writing about your sexual experiences on NL - stick to that, and stop following me around like a dog, slag.

You.are.one.sore.loser!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by DExplorer1: 11:13am On Jul 23, 2012
kandiikane:

Ok, so they can give you an assignment and you can copy whole sections of an author's work as long as you say it's from so and so?

WTF? I laugh in chinese!

Like I said, it's not like he quoted or paraphased to support his own argument, he lifted whole sections of it and made it his argument. There is a difference.

I think i would like to see you debate and i'll be so much intrested in your content. How about that?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by kandiikane(m): 11:22am On Jul 23, 2012
^Pass.
wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by debosky(m): 1:16pm On Jul 23, 2012
Interesting outcome - could the judges, for the sake of transparency indicate if they have a view on the subject matter?

I'm not trying to impugn the integrity of our judges, but it would be interesting to know if they held a view either way. In future, it may be beneficial to select judges from both viewpoints as it were (if we can't find neutral judges that is) to ensure people feel there is a sense of balance.

Great work to the organisers sorting everything out. Unfortunately I couldn't participate this time; maybe next time. wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2012
debosky: Interesting outcome - could the judges, for the sake of transparency indicate if they have a view on the subject matter?

I'm not trying to impugn the integrity of our judges, but it would be interesting to know if they held a view either way. In future, it may be beneficial to select judges from both viewpoints as it were (if we can't find neutral judges that is) to ensure people feel there is a sense of balance.

Great work to the organisers sorting everything out. Unfortunately I couldn't participate this time; maybe next time. wink

To be honest, I had no view on the matter. I mean I knew what the general consensus on the matter was but thought it neither here nor there.

However, reading the debates against the motion made me think. . .hmmm, they may have something here (We are allowed to be convinced by one side after the debate. . .aren't we?)
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by debosky(m): 2:37pm On Jul 23, 2012
^^ Of course are allowed to be convinced.

I just wanted some insight into how a judge would set aside how he/she felt or was convinced and judge strictly on the merit of the arguments presented. Being a very emotive subject, objectivity is often difficult when political arguments are involved as people are often unable to extricate themselves from their views and thus examine everything through this lens.

End of my latest attempt at psychoanalysis. grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by jaybee3(m): 4:13pm On Jul 23, 2012
The contestants were judged and allocated appropriate scores against each of the following criteria:
Content
Delivery
Logical Argument
Factual Back
Persuasiveness

I held no view prior to the start of the debate and my scoring was solely based on the delivery of each contestants against the criteria set out by the organising committee
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 23, 2012
You’ve got a very valid point, Debosky.

But I don’t think it’s that difficult to set aside personal views on the matter. It only takes average maturity and I’m sure the Coordinator did not just choose the Judges randomly.

My personal view is against the motion, but judging criteria is well set-out that it will take extra-ordinary interest to lose objectivity. Interestingly, I scored Coogar highest in the first round and joint-highest in the final round, yet he argued for the motion. The criteria even make it difficult to allow personal sentiments override objectivity. For example, it will be difficult to score Coogar low on delivery, just as it will be difficult to rate him very high on factual back-up.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by antitpiah: 5:28pm On Jul 23, 2012
jay bee: The contestants were judged and allocated appropriate scores against each of the following criteria:
Content
Delivery
Logical Argument
Factual Back
Persuasiveness

I held no view prior to the start of the debate and my scoring was solely based on the delivery of each contestants against the criteria set out by the organising committee

Just wondering, hows logical argument different from delivery from persuasiveness?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2012
debosky: ^^ Of course are allowed to be convinced.

I just wanted some insight into how a judge would set aside how he/she felt or was convinced and judge strictly on the merit of the arguments presented. Being a very emotive subject, objectivity is often difficult when political arguments are involved as people are often unable to extricate themselves from their views and thus examine everything through this lens.

End of my latest attempt at psychoanalysis. grin
You can psycho-analyse me anytime. . you will be doing me or least my sister a huge favor. According to my her. . .I need all the help I can get. embarassed

Although after the debate, my view on the matter was solidly AGAINST the motion. In the first round, the debater I gave the highest score was FOR the motion and this was based on the criteria.

One of the iffy areas for me was the part where some debaters used actual people as proof of Godfatherism. I felt they should have stayed away from mentioning names because it is subjective. What one person sees as Obansanjo or Anineh's godfatherism mechanization, another person might not.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2012
Based on the various the research done online

1. Logical argument - Does the person state logically every step of the logic that leads to the choice?

2. Persuasiveness - Does the person do a good job at tying everything together to make a sound, logical, argument that could convince someone that their stance is correct?

3. Delivery - How did they lay out their overall argument. Usually what is judged here is their interaction with the audience. Sure this is a faceless forum and making eye contacts and measuring the pitch of your voice etc does not come into play but other things do. . .things like word usage. Are you using words your audience will need a dictionary and thesaurus to decipher? Are you assuming your audience knows the things you know?

In short, Delivery is where the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle applies.

Please note that I am not saying these things are set in stone but that is the basic gist of it. grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by coogar: 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
3. Delivery - How did they lay out their overall argument. Usually what is judged here is their interaction with the audience. Sure this is a faceless forum and making eye contacts and measuring the pitch of your voice etc does not come into play but other things do. . .things like word usage. Are you using words your audience will need a dictionary and thesaurus to decipher? Are you assuming your audience knows the things you know?

In short, Delivery is where the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle applies.

Please note that I am not saying these things are set in stone but that is the basic gist of it. grin

sisikill, you need blood tonic - that is all!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 7:24pm On Jul 23, 2012
coogar:

sisikill, you need blood tonic - that is all!

Has my momma being talking to you??!! angry angry

That woman sure does not know when to quit, honestly it is becoming a pain. undecided

Like it is by force to drink 'em bitter blood tonic. angry
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Pharoh: 8:55pm On Jul 23, 2012
This was a wonderful thing to do ( wanted to do stuffs like this as well ) and thanks to everyone who made it happen and to the project coordinator ( don't remember me again i guess ).

Hope we can all take a retrospective view of the past events and see how we can make this debate better going forward. In my personal perspective, i think shymexx should have not been banned if he did not break the debating rules ( was there any rule concerning plagiarism before the debate commenced? ) and also i think some posters will like to make some suggestion to the debate and or see how it can be expanded and reorganized with adequate inputs.

Thanks everyone and keep the discussion going but with less fighting please cool.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 23, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Based on the various the research done online

1. Logical argument - Does the person state logically every step of the logic that leads to the choice?

2. Persuasiveness - Does the person do a good job at tying everything together to make a sound, logical, argument that could convince someone that their stance is correct?

You are a woman.
And perhaps a very emotional one because I find from your role as a judge that the other points 'Logical arguement and delivery' are automatically over-ridden and do not count much as long as you have been strongly PERSUADED.
. .
I would rather prefer an OBJECTIVE female judge who can suppress emotions and strike a balance.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 10:20pm On Jul 23, 2012
breezy047:

You are a woman.
And perhaps a very emotional one because I find from your role as a judge that the other points 'Logical arguement and delivery' are automatically over-ridden and do not count much as long as you have been strongly PERSUADED.
. .
I would rather prefer an OBJECTIVE female judge who can suppress emotions and strike a balance.

I don't get the highlighted part.

Forget the highlighted part, I don't get your entire post! cheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 23, 2012
Sisi_Kill: In the interest of transperancy. . .these were my comments on the debaters from the first round (nobody should take offense oh, remeber I LOVE YOU ALL and. . .and. . .I bought a new dress for this cheesy cheesy)

Reasons for Scores
Cooger – While I admire Cooger’s ways with words, I felt he said a lot without saying anything. He didn’t state fact or figures. I will be very interested to see how his opponents will rebut his argument because I don’t think he gave them anything solid to hold on to.

Here's what i'm talking about.
You scored Coogar the highest in the 1st round.
Why?
Because you admire his way with words (in otherwords you were persuaded) even though you felt he said a lot without actualy saying.(meaning his content is weak). . .
And he had no Facts!

There is only one explanation to this. . .
Whoever MOVES you emotionally automaticaly wins the debate. . .irrespective of other criteria like the content, delivery. . .persuasion influences the whole of your judgement.

Well, this is just my observation and i'm pointing it out to you so that next time you may be aware of it.
Cheers! smiley
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 11:14pm On Jul 23, 2012
Dude. . .you are gonna make me have to go into witness relocation program with this confession. My darling Cooger already wants my head on a silver platter.

You know what, forget trying to prove that you are wrong. . .self preservation takes precedence. Alls I gotta say. . . You couldn't be more wrong on how you think it went down in the first round.

Cheers cheesy

PS
I don't speak cantonese or Mandarin or Chinese wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Cuddlemii: 11:15pm On Jul 23, 2012
Pharoh: This was a wonderful thing to do ( wanted to do stuffs like this as well ) and thanks to everyone who made it happen and to the project coordinator ( don't remember me again i guess ).

Hope we can all take a retrospective view of the past events and see how we can make this debate better going forward. In my personal perspective, i think shymexx should have not been banned if he did not break the debating rules ( was there any rule concerning plagiarism before the debate commenced? ) and also i think some posters will like to make some suggestion to the debate and or see how it can be expanded and reorganized with adequate inputs.

Thanks everyone and keep the discussion going but with less fighting please cool.

Says who?
How are you?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by SisiKill1: 11:23pm On Jul 23, 2012
How you tie those two posts and came to your conclusion is astounding!!

Dude, you will give a frog a run for its money when it comes to leaping. cheesy

By the way I take serious offense to that "You are a woman" bit angry
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 23, 2012
Sisi_Kill: How you tie those two posts and came to your conclusion is astounding!!

Dude, you will give a frog a run for its money when it comes to leaping. cheesy

By the way I take serious offense to that "You are a woman" bit angry

Forget about the frog and the money. . .
Its obvious you may never understand my SPANISH. . .
So i'll just leave it alone.

Dont worry about that 'you are a woman' bit. Im sure it cant make your FROG leap.
Cheers! smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel / Ade's Chronicle: A Tale / Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.