Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria (10177 Views)

Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke / Nigeria At 55 : The Most Stylish First Ladies Naija Ever Had / 5 African First Ladies Who Cheated On Their Husbands (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by OmanIman: 12:02pm On Jul 26, 2012
I remember Maryam Babaginda’s "Better Life for Rural Women"

Mariam Abacha’s "Family Support Programme"

Stella Obasanjo’s "Child Care Trust"

Turai Yar’dua’s "Women and Youth Empowerment Foundation"

Titi Atiku’s "Women Trafficking and Child Labour Eradication Foundation (WOTCLEF) for war against human trafficking"

Dame Patient Goodluck's "Women For Change Initiative"...

These "Pet Projects" have spanned over a decade and keep changing names, colour and wrapping sheet though the same package.

They have all promised Change,women empowerment,better life,fresh air and everything imaginable.Hwever one begins to wonder what exactly are these programmes all about?

Are they just avenues for First Ladies to seek relevance for their office,buy away time and have something to do besides trying on clothes,bags,shoes and bling-bling,have tea parties with their friends and ladies in waiting or are these projects actually touching and changing the lives of women out there?

Do we know of anyone or woman out there whose life has been positively affected by any of these Pet Projects?Or should these Projects be Scrapped by Government with the backing of the Constitution? What is your take on this?

3 Likes

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by maclatunji: 12:37pm On Jul 26, 2012
It's a nice way to rake-in millions and travel around the world whilst err... "empowering women" and "building the nation".

1 Like

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by sdiq: 12:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
THEM DEY EWPOWER THERE BANK ACCOUNT NOW USELESS PEOPLE grin

2 Likes

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Smhart1(f): 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
Politicians and their cunny ways of extorting money from the nation.smh

1 Like

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Delafruita(m): 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
WOTCLEF was the first pet project by a vice president's wife and i must admit it had very strong positive effect.it is still in place and many people even though it was a government agency because of the way it was efficiently run.of all the "pet projects",i doff my hat for wotclef

8 Likes

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2012
There should be people out there who have benefited from these dragon projects. anyone on NL?
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Biggyd2: 1:06pm On Jul 27, 2012
Do these projects survive beyond the terms of the "1st Ladies" that establish them?
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by crackhouse(m): 1:07pm On Jul 27, 2012
Scrapped with the backing of constitution? Are u a lawmaker?. O.k, now if i say it should be scrapped, what will u do?.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by ebamma(m): 1:10pm On Jul 27, 2012
im tired oh,wetin come be pet project again na dog?

1 Like

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by ebamma(m): 1:11pm On Jul 27, 2012
when her husband's tenure as president is over her pet project too will be over,so no shaking.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by OjujuCalabar(m): 1:15pm On Jul 27, 2012
The God for the Constitutional Review Committee, it's high time a provision is enshrined in the constitute banning anything called office of the first lady, it's almost becoming a major distraction for the government

1 Like

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by pek(m): 1:16pm On Jul 27, 2012
Correct me if i am wrong, i think these pet projects started with mariam. Incidently, it is the most successful and life impacting.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by ElZionista(m): 1:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
[quote author=OmanIman]I remember Maryam Babaginda’s "Better Life for Rural Women"

Titi Atiku’s "Women Trafficking and Child Labour Eradication Foundation (WOTCLEF) for war against human trafficking"

These "Pet Projects" have spanned over a decade and keep changing names, colour and wrapping sheet though the same package.

Do we know of anyone or woman out there whose life has been positively affected by any of these Pet Projects? Dats a very timely n important question.i really doubt if there are any,tho if there are,i strongly suspect they are within their circle or hav connections wit them.VERDICT:scrap 'em all.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Joey82(m): 1:24pm On Jul 27, 2012
to think that the budget does not make provisions for this project gives a lot of concern.
in the end, its money earmarked for other sectors that is diverted to the so called projects.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by chmod777: 1:27pm On Jul 27, 2012
In as much as I care less about GEJ, but I am impressed his presidency has recognized that the first Lady is unconstitutional. the height of it's abuse was with Turai.
YET why not give the devil his due, my fellow naija ppl. Why not commend the guy for not allowing the office of first Lady be as it used to be used to waste public fund
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by OjujuCalabar(m): 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2012
Than God for the Constitutional Review Committee, it's high time a provision is enshrined in the constitute banning anything called office of the first lady, it's almost becoming a major distraction for the government
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 1:29pm On Jul 27, 2012
chmod777: In as much as I care less about GEJ, but I am impressed his presidency has recognized that the first Lady is unconstitutional. the height of it's abuse was with Turai.
YET why not give the devil his due, my fellow naija ppl. Why not commend the guy for not allowing the office of first Lady be as it used to be used to waste public fund

Sorry but are you in Nigeria?
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 1:30pm On Jul 27, 2012
PEJ's Women for change initiative is the most ridiculous of them all, Mariam Babangida's Better Life was awesome and life changing.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Bibol(f): 1:36pm On Jul 27, 2012
IMO, Miriam Babangida and Titi Atiku's pet projects were good. The others? Not so sureundecided

3 Likes

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by YungG(m): 1:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
OmanIman: I remember Maryam Babaginda’s "Better Life for Rural Women"

They have all promised Change,women empowerment,better life,fresh air and everything imaginable.Hwever one begins to wonder what exactly are these programmes all about?

Are they just avenues for First Ladies to seek relevance for their office,buy away time and have something to do besides trying on clothes,bags,shoes and bling-bling,have tea parties with their friends and ladies in waiting or are these projects actually touching and changing the lives of women out there?

Do we know of anyone or woman out there whose life has been positively affected by any of these Pet Projects?Or should these Projects be Scrapped by Government with the backing of the Constitution? What is your take on this?

This programms r just diff ways this ladies casts away million of taxpayers money.i belive the constitution did nt create provison for the office. They want to have the ministry of the first lady. Looters n looters
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by MMM2(m): 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
Op

She is teaching 9ja kids, how 2 speak good english undecided
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 27, 2012
I still rmbr the Family Support Programme of Maryam Abacha.in Owerri the FSP nursery and primary school is still waxing strong! Its one of the cheapest and most populated school in imo state.as for PEJ am yet to see any of her pet projects making impact on nigerians.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by cyril83(m): 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2012
Angry
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by oladayo042: 3:00pm On Jul 27, 2012
Must they always start a new pet project? What is wrong with continuing with the pet project of the former first lady and making it more effective?

2 Likes

Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by dedeike: 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2012
Women for change initiative set out to empower women to vie for elective positions ahead of the 2011 general elections. Given the results of the last elections, it is obvious that this initiative really achieved its purpose.

The number of women in the National and state Assemblies increased significantly. The number of women in GEJ's cabinet is amazing. Big Govt parastatals are headed by women. Immigrations, FIRS, SEC etc.

For the first time in our history, a woman heads the Ministry of Petroluem which Obj appropriated to himself during his tenure.
For the first time, a woman was appointed the chief justice of Nigeria. Though it could be argued that she rose thru the ranks but the president has a discretion to exercise in such appointments. And he exercised in it in her favour.
Everything about this govt is fresh air, pet projects inclusive
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Euroclydon(m): 3:47pm On Jul 27, 2012
they are aliases!
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 3:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
What is pet project again is it anoda name to train animals to siphon money again-

Naija and office am sure patience go don dey create language office now- that woman is not even fit to be my school teacher sef- even his hubby jona the sepe brewer also
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2012
dedeike: Women for change initiative set out to empower women to vie for elective positions ahead of the 2011 general elections. Given the results of the last elections, it is obvious that this initiative really achieved its purpose.

The number of women in the National and state Assemblies increased significantly. The number of women in GEJ's cabinet is amazing. Big Govt parastatals are headed by women. Immigrations, FIRS, SEC etc.

For the first time in our history, a woman heads the Ministry of Petroluem which Obj appropriated to himself during his tenure.
For the first time, a woman was appointed the chief justice of Nigeria. Though it could be argued that she rose thru the ranks but the president has a discretion to exercise in such appointments. And he exercised in it in her favour.

You have not demonstrated how the activities of this initiative actually brought about a change. It can easily be assumed that the 'increased' engagement of women in politics came about through other means and not necessarily by the efforts of this pet project. Oh wait, anyone who is a blind sycophant of the current government can make those claims.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
The pet project is in their bank account o
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by Delafruita(m): 4:41pm On Jul 27, 2012
dedeike: Women for change initiative set out to empower women to vie for elective positions ahead of the 2011 general elections. Given the results of the last elections, it is obvious that this initiative really achieved its purpose.

seriously,there is no extent you wont go to defend the retardeen and retardeeness.
so the fact that women contested elections and the nigerian people decided to vote them in is to be attributed as a success of an ineffectual pet project of an ignoramus.
so the fact that justice aloma mukhtar is next in line to be CJN courtsey of been the longest serving justice on the supreme court is to be counted as a success of the retardeness pet project
so the fact that women are appointed into cabinet positions is to be counted as the success of an NGO run by a private individual with no constituitional office
dude,you're delusional
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by blackbeau1(f): 4:56pm On Jul 27, 2012
Benefit from what? Those are just ways to bleed the country dry.
Re: The Many "Pet Projects" Of First Ladies In Nigeria by princenayo: 4:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
I think in the real sense of it, these projects have in a long way transformed a lot of woman.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Guts Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace / Presidency Extends VAIDS Deadline To June 30, 2018 / A Video Of Godwin Emefiele's Mansion Built In The Village Surface Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.