Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan (13414 Views)

Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / "It's Going To Be A Very Difficult Year," Ngozi Okonji Iweala (CNN) / Rivers Govt Replies Okonji-iweala On Missing $5B From Excess Crude Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
ambrosini593:

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/55684-reps-to-jonathan%3A-beware-of-okonjo-iwealas-advice.html
whose advice is he to follow. our lawbreakers called lawmakers.GEJ never understand this guys, when they are broke like that they make noise for ghana must go.that is their trade. is this the first time they know nija no dry implement budget. why the fuss. GEJ SHOULD SEND THEM GHANA MUST GO.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Anjasor(m): 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
aribisala0: Nothing wrong with our heads,she is being judged on results.Anyway the World bank job is quite different from a Minister of Finance.One is a technocrat whose main responsibility is to her boss(es),the main shareholders of the bank i.e. the US.
She is seen to do a good job to the extent that she serves US interest.That is the nature of the World bank as her recent failure to become President highlights
The MD does not shocked set the World bank Agenda but plays out a US/European script.In that regard she did very well apparently. Creating jobs or prosperity in a Place like Nigeria probably requires a set of skills which I suspect elude the accomplished lady.Time will tell
We must remember that the World Bank is not a commercial banking environment like Citigroup e,g and is very much removed from where the often painful impact of its decisions are felt.
Finance ministers on the other hand are often politicians elected and have a sense of the suffering of the people as well as an eye on future elections.
So, because someone is a world class vet we cannot assume they will make a good doctor
Just to make this point further. Is there any example anywhere of a previous world bank MD being employed as Minister of Finance in any significant economy or Any country for that matter and what were the results
You' ve said it all.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: I think that is quite clear really.It is a tendency for the executive arm to presume supremacy over the legislature,to demand subordination,to resent and resist challenge and to expect that their proposals are "passed" unaltered.
The Presidential system is probably not right for Nigeria but that is what we have.We have seen the problems it has thrown up recently in the US with difficulty passing budgets,government shutdowns etc.
In short hangover is the tendency to operate or try to operate like military Heads of State and not realizing or ignoring constitutional limitations to Executive power
E.g the recent renaming of MAULAG and
the frequent sacking of LG chairmen etc
those are symptoms of hangover
Thank you for the explanation of military "hangover". It would have been more sensible to use the terms "military influence" rather than to use military hangover. The eclectic nature of the term(hangover) is part of the legislative characters to deceive the public.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by chucky234(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: NOI has a distinguished career at the World Bank .She studied economics at University and excelled as a MANAGER/BANKER/ADMINISTRATOR at the World Bank in the sector of Finance/Banking. She deserves credit and honour particularly as a woman and African as these might actually have worked to hinder her progress.
It is hyperbole to call her a World Renowned Economist as wikipedia has done and I am not aware of her publications which justify such "RENOWN" as an economist though she certainly has renown for other things.She has not had a lenghthy career as an "economist" and has not excelled in this area whether by way of publication or otherwise and we need not to get carried away in our desire to celebrate her.
I am not convinced that her previous achievements can or will translate into any outstanding benefit for Nigeria and this is in no way an indictment.The issue is Chloroquine is not the medicine for childnesses no matter how good Chloroquine is
If ones competence is judged by fat certificate or based ones past record then Nigeria would have been a better nation with the thousands of first class graduates that come out of our universities , my point is that the fact that NOI had an excellent career at the world bank does not mean she cannot fail at another financial institution. People have to understand the fact that she is human and has her own shortcomings,being a worldbank DG is totally different from running a country's finance which is more diversified and demanding than the world bank DG post.
If she knows it all as people foolishly believe what is she doing with her many SPAs,we need to put sentiment aside as view this from a constructive and beneficial perspective.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by KingGeorge1: 2:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
Am very sure the National Assembly(NA) is crying n raising dust over the budget implementation with regards 2 what they will get 4rm it n we know that's not unrelated 2 constituency Akpalapala.....cos outside that i believe in working hand in hand 2 come 2 a peace or amicable resolution btw the 2 arms of govt(executive/Legislature),if it really 4 the interest of naija,,,,than this Threat of Impeachment 4rm the National Assembly....
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by ikeyman00(m): 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
f ones competence is judged by fat certificate or based ones past record then Nigeria would have been a better nation with the thousands of first class graduates that come out of our universities , my point is that the fact that NOI had an excellent career at the world bank does not mean she cannot fail at another financial institution. People have to understand the fact that she is human and has her own shortcomings,being a worldbank DG is totally different from running a country's finance which is more diversified and demanding than the world bank DG post.
If she knows it all as people foolishly believe what is she doing with her many SPAs,we need to put sentiment aside as view this from a constructive and beneficial perspective
^^^^^ yes the same manner the criminals in the house have no moral watsoever to talk

people that done fu k all but earn no than obama get

people just write nonesense in nl all cuz that buhari/tribal man lipsrsealed did not win

sentiment aside indeed

they think we are fools like themselves

meanwhile the bombing that has been going on seem not to bother them

next they will be quick to remind u that power must return to the north
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
ozoebuka1: you should ask ursef these questions...1.what was this womans intention when she asked the fg to remove fuel subsidy did she have bad or good intention? good 2.did she actualize most of her dreams? yes -farouk and co. 3.the removal of the fuel subsidy, who suffered most of the pain, the thieves or the masses? the thieves. after u must have answered those questions, u will know if we should be thanking okonji or critizing her and if we should be asking those thieves to stop advisin gej or to continue... in the case of imperfection, okonji neva wanted to harm anybody but she ended up doing that just because she is a humanbeing -she must not be 100percent efficient-. but those reps are harming us not because they are imperfect but because they are wicked and unmannered...they are just selfish!

YOu get SUPER ADHD abi wetin? Wetin concern subsidy with this now? What has farouk and co to do with this?

Why are you so desperate to deny that which is in front of you? You are told that she said implentation was at 56% and that that number is incorrect, but here you are bouncing all over the place in your bid to pretend it is OK for you to pick sides, something you say others should not be doing at this point? Are you high?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by chucky234(m): 2:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
dedeike: Profile in excellence which haters and ignorance cannot wish away.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
The undisputable power-house in the Jonathan administration, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who doubles as the Coordinating Minister for Economy and Minister of Finance, no doubt, added credibility to the cabinet based on her formidable credentials locally and internationally.

A stickler for probity and excellence, Okonjo-Iweala’s persistent campaign for the effective management of the nation’s resources informed the government’s decision to adopt fiscal discipline, cut down on waste, and rein in debt and the budget deficit, especially in the 2012 budget.

This resulted in slight reduction of recurrent expenditure this year. Her target, however, is to cut recurrent spending to about 65 per cent of the total budget by 2015 so that more resources can be deployed on capital projects.

The minister, who narrowly lost her bid for the presidency of World Bank, has worked on rebuilding the nation’s decimated savings in the Excess Crude Account (ECA), which currently stands at $4.3 billion, and this is despite the monthly withdrawals by the three tiers of government. She has also been in negotiations with the 36 states of the federation to start up the Sovereign Wealth Fund as a replacement for the ECA.

Under her watch, the government established the Subsidy Re-investment Programme, through which savings accruing to the three tiers of government from the partial removal of the subsidy on petrol, can be deployed to projects. In her bid to keep the public informed on the savings, her ministry each month publishes the figures accruing to the federal, states and local governments under SURE-P.

The finance minister is carrying out bio metric evaluation of federal civil servants  to reduce waste. The exercise is yoelding fruits as it uncovered the pension scam of over 32 billion. The scam involved Abubakar Kigo, a former perm sec at the office of the head of civil service of the federation and 5 others. There is the new integrated online payment system which helps the minister monitor transfer of public funds from CBN.
This system also ensures that suspicious allocations in the budget are blocked.
Corrupt minds are not happy with these stringent measures hence the outcry

Another proven deluded retarded google boy who dumbly believe that rich profile of an economist is what makes a great finance minister,do you know the duties of a world bank DG?
The fact that she excelled as a world bank DG is not a guarantee that NoI will succeed as a finance minister as both posts greatly differs,managing a nation's finance is more a diversified and demanding job than the world bank DG post she held.
If you believe this woman is a financial guru simply because she was a world bank DG then find out how many SPAs attached to her,your google has continue to disgrace you in public with your daft findings.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:
All of a sudden the same crooked corrupt House of reps are now saints in the eyes of Nairalanders right ? And yet we want Nigerian to change with all these tribal and partisan politics right ? I tire for una O!!!

All they did was tell you that implementation is at 30 something percent and not as 56% as suggested by Okonjo Iweala. This has nothing to do with her Harvard degree, or how long she was in Nigeria the last time. Rather than engage in meaningless babble, when are you all going to demand the truth in this , which in in how your money is truly being spent?

If it turns out she did lie to the nation, what then? It is the fault of the crooked corrupt House of reps? Or will her Harvard degree and her past record somehow NULLIFY that?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by chucky234(m): 2:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
King George: Am very sure the National Assembly(NA) is crying n raising dust over the budget implementation with regards 2 what they will get 4rm it n we know that's not unrelated 2 constituency Akpalapala.....cos outside that i believe in working hand in hand 2 come 2 a peace or amicable resolution btw the 2 arms of govt(executive/Legislature),if it really 4 the interest of naija,,,,than this Threat of Impeachment 4rm the National Assembly....
Ignorance is truly a disease, first you need to understand what a nation's budget is and the process of its implementation.
From your post am sure you must have dumbly believed budget is a cheque signed by the president and the finance minister then handed over to the reps so they can cash into their bank accounts, find out what budget is all about then come back to tell us your findings.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Ufeolorun(m): 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

According to wiki "Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (born June 13, 1954) is a globally renowned Nigerian economist best known for her two terms as Finance Minister of Nigeria (her current position) and for her work at the World Bank, including several years as one of its Managing Directors (October 2007–July 2011)" but according to your post she is not good enough to manage the financial problems Nigeria has right ? FYI the "mysterious" job she did at the worldbank was being one of the MDs. The same Okonjo Iweala that:

1.single-handedly cleared our debts worth $18billion with the Paris club (or maybe you were still a baby back then)

2.obtained Nigeria's FIRST EVER BB minus rating with Standard and poors ,
3. worked with world bank for years as one of the MDs but somehow she is not good enough for the job of Nigeria's Minister of Finance right ?

You guys should do some research first before coming here to talk garbage
. FYI before you label me "40 computer #30" you should look back at my past posts , just yesterday i was criticizing GEJ for the Cassava bread "thingy" . I am not PRO or ANTI GEJ but i believe its time we remove sentiments and call black-black and white-white . Okonjo Iweala is MORE THAN CAPABLE of handling the financial situation in Nigeria and she has done just that , The reason the average Nigerian or masses can't feel the changes is because of the corrupt system and we cannot blame Okonjo Iweala for the system
I am not an economist but I have a bit of commonsense. I repeat okonjo is grossly over rated and the lack of major or any turnaround achievement to her name reinforce this,it also makes her the wrong person to rely on at this moment.
Obj and Okonjo Iweala gave Nigeria's surplus away on a platter of gold,our creditors couldn't have threatened us cos we had the leverage to argue out the details of debt handed to corrupt unelected military boys.I remember the national assembly threatening default.
The fitch rating cannot be divorced from the scam and foreign extortion the debt repayment was. What's the relevance of that rating today, I know if we had pumped that money into our rail system we would be better for it today.
People can easily pick out the lappies anyways.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
King George: Am very sure the National Assembly(NA) is crying n raising dust over the budget implementation with regards 2 what they will get 4rm it n we know that's not unrelated 2 constituency Akpalapala.....cos outside that i believe in working hand in hand 2 come 2 a peace or amicable resolution btw the 2 arms of govt(executive/Legislature),if it really 4 the interest of naija,,,,than this Threat of Impeachment 4rm the National Assembly....

Simple question

What are members of the National Assembly going to get from the implementation of the budget?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by occam(m): 2:38pm On Jul 30, 2012

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
The undisputable power-house in the Jonathan administration, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who doubles as the Coordinating Minister for Economy and Minister of Finance, no doubt, added credibility to the cabinet based on her formidable credentials locally and internationally.

A stickler for probity and excellence, Okonjo-Iweala’s persistent campaign for the effective management of the nation’s resources informed the government’s decision to adopt fiscal discipline, cut down on waste, and rein in debt and the budget deficit, especially in the 2012 budget.

This resulted in slight reduction of recurrent expenditure this year. Her target, however, is to cut recurrent spending to about 65 per cent of the total budget by 2015 so that more resources can be deployed on capital projects.

The minister, who narrowly lost her bid for the presidency of World Bank, has worked on rebuilding the nation’s decimated savings in the Excess Crude Account (ECA), which currently stands at $4.3 billion, and this is despite the monthly withdrawals by the three tiers of government. She has also been in negotiations with the 36 states of the federation to start up the Sovereign Wealth Fund as a replacement for the ECA.

Under her watch, the government established the Subsidy Re-investment Programme, through which savings accruing to the three tiers of government from the partial removal of the subsidy on petrol, can be deployed to projects. In her bid to keep the public informed on the savings, her ministry each month publishes the figures accruing to the federal, states and local governments under SURE-P.

The finance minister is carrying out bio metric evaluation of federal civil servants  to reduce waste. The exercise is yoelding fruits as it uncovered the pension scam of over 32 billion. The scam involved Abubakar Kigo, a former perm sec at the office of the head of civil service of the federation and 5 others. There is the new integrated online payment system which helps the minister monitor transfer of public funds from CBN.

And what has this eulogy got to do with matter on ground? Are you a paid hack for Iweala? This write up is a disservice to your client.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by aribisala0(m): 2:53pm On Jul 30, 2012
chucky234: If ones competence is judged by fat certificate or based ones past record then Nigeria would have been a better nation with the thousands of first class graduates that come out of our universities , my point is that the fact that NOI had an excellent career at the world bank does not mean she cannot fail at another financial institution. People have to understand the fact that she is human and has her own shortcomings,being a worldbank DG is totally different from running a country's finance which is more diversified and demanding than the world bank DG post.
If she knows it all as people foolishly believe what is she doing with her many SPAs,we need to put sentiment aside as view this from a constructive and beneficial perspective.
I am Not sure if you get my point.Confused I have not said she has or will do well as Finance Miniter
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
Billyonaire: It baffles me. If a world class economist known worldwide with 25yrs experience in the world bank job is criticized profusely by her own people, I think we need our heads examined.

Um, actually its not just Nigeria that now despises her, but the whole world in General. Remember, the world'd rather give the Job of World Bank Chief to a Medical Practitioner than give it to her with all her Harvard degrees not too long ago?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Klinee: 3:00pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dat she world class economist does not make her competent.she have fail us,consider the oil subsidy issue.Now she is lying with our economy.For me i hav'nt seen her capability.GEJ should stop taking her advice pls.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Epalos: 3:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
Where did this woman work before joining Obj administration? Obj basicly made her and should be blamed for not speaking out after he found out she is fake and gave Nigeria money to Paris club in exchange for World Bank (Africa Affair) job.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by oiseworld: 3:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
Klinee: Dat she world class economist does not make her competent.she have fail us,consider the oil subsidy issue.Now she is lying with our economy.For me i hav'nt seen her capability.GEJ should stop taking her advice pls.

Blaah, Blaah, Blaah Blaah.
Cry cry baby, look round there are no kids here.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Epalos: 3:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
Trying hard to pull wool over our eyes.
occam:

And what has this eulogy got to do with matter on ground? Are you a paid hack for Iweala? This write up is a disservice to your client.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Epalos: 3:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
They thought if she could take $18B off her struggling people mouth's, she may end up selling World Bank to the highest bidder.[quot author=kingoflag]

Um, actually its not just Nigeria that now despises her, but the whole world in General. Remember, the world'd rather give the Job of World Bank Chief to a Medical Practitioner than give it to her with all her Harvard degrees not too long ago?[/quote]
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by oiseworld: 3:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
kingoflag:

Um, actually its not just Nigeria that now despises her, but the whole world in General. Remember, the world'd rather give the Job of World Bank Chief to a Medical Practitioner than give it to her with all her Harvard degrees not too long ago?

i have seen some interpretations on nairaland lately, and they really got me laughing.
Whats the meaning of despise as used in the above post. So not winning the wB. Sit means she was despised?

Oga, this shouldn't have come from you naww.Haba

topic,
Jona is satisfied with her. Am satisfied with her. Case settled.
If the farookie's are not; they should go and die.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Olaolufred(m): 3:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
searchcorp: For the first time in my life: I find it so difficult to understand Nigeria... I keep changing my political view everyday.

Now, this whole gej, honourables, noi thing is so loud that I can't even hear my thoughts....

My Father's Generation has failed this nation politically.

But what of our generation that is kissing laptops number 1-40 just for porridge so sweet like that of Esau?
Hope our own child won't repeat this same comment in reference to our own generation.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by oiseworld: 3:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
kingoflag:

Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Olaolufred(m): 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
floridam: Could Ngozi okonjo Iweala be wrong with taking decisions as it relates to budgetting and finances.
I am beginning to think that even if a first class economist from havard is minister of economy in Nigeria, it may not work because Nigeria is a Complex community.

Do you know that corruption blinds its victim?
If not, try to find out.
When Corruption grips you, your first class becomes dust.
Your reputation becomes nothing to be treasured.
In case you want to confirm, ask Esau what his porridge means.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Epalos: 3:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
There are 150million others who have say and want the truth at all cost.
oiseworld:

i have seen some interpretations on nairaland lately, and they really got me laughing.
Whats the meaning of despise as used in the above post. So not winning the wB. Sit means she was despised?

Oga, this shouldn't have come from you naww.Haba

topic,
Jona is satisfied with her. Am satisfied with her. Case settled.
If the farookie's are not; they should go and die.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Jul 30, 2012
Epalos: There are 150million others who have say and want the truth at all cost.

@Kobojunkie thanks you for that statement.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Olaolufred(m): 3:35pm On Jul 30, 2012
PointB: Between a world renown Economist, and a political spokesman, do we need to worry about who is on point on economic issue?
If not for sentiments, and bigotry, the difference is very clear!

When a mind is corrupt,
World, reknown and their Economist friend becomes nothing.
Because Corruption blinds and turns its victim to a reprobate.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by oiseworld: 3:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
Epalos: There are 150million others who have say and want the truth at all cost.

God is satisfied with her,
abi na wetin be your own sef?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Olaolufred(m): 4:03pm On Jul 30, 2012

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

Just brought this to complement your truths or lies.
She saved $32 billion when she has name an title to protect.
But now that she is fully a corrupt PDP member she is part of the conspiracy to the depletion of same to $3Billion
Kindly read through.

Excess Crude Account and Fiscal Responsibility
By Editorial Board
Thursday, 20 Jan 2011

CONTRARY to the provisions of the Fiscal Responsibility Act, it is disturbing that the nation’s governments have continued to share accumulated revenues in the Excess Crude Account. At the December 31, 2010 emergency meeting of the Federation Account Allocation Committee, $1 billion was again shared by the three tiers of government from the ECA. Thus, the deduction has brought the balance in the account created to offer relief for a rainy day to only about $3 million. $1 billion was transferred from the ECA National Sovereign Wealth fund as seed capital in September, 2010.

Though the FAAC said the disbursements were expected to be channelled to infrastructure development in different states, surprisingly, the draw-down came against the backdrop of a rise in the international prices of crude oil. Between the last week of December and the first half of January 2011, crude oil, Nigeria’s principal export commodity, was sold for between $87 and $92 per barrel. That price range was significantly higher than the $67 per barrel benchmark price for Federal Government’s Budget for Fiscal Year 2010. Besides, there was no precipitous drop in oil production in the country.

But the Nigeria’s Fiscal Responsibility Act, which came into effect in 2007, never envisaged withdrawals from that account in the manner it was done on December 31 or on several other occasions since 2007. As stipulated in Part vii, subtitled, “Savings and Asset Management,” excess revenue savings, are not to be accessed by any tier of government except under clearly specified conditions. In Section 35 (5), the Act states: “No Government in the Federation shall have access to the savings made in pursuance to sub-section (2) of this section, unless the reference commodity price falls below the pre-determined level for a period of three consecutive months.” The wording of that sub-section of the Act is unambiguous, and government at every level is for enforcement of laws and regulations.

It is, therefore, difficult to understand why the federal, state and local governments have chosen the path of illegality, especially in resource management, the single most important factor in development performance. When the account was created in 2004, it was done with the best intention. The ECA is to act as a stabilisation fund, closing budget deficits that are a product of oil price volatility, and to potentially fund domestic infrastructure investments. Nigeria’s excess crude account had increased by 239.2 per cent, reaching $17.3 billion in 2007 from $5.1 billion recorded in 2004. The account peaked at about $32 billion before the spending binge set in.

No doubt, ECA became handy for the country to weather the stormy global financial crisis. But, subsequently, the three levels of government have continued to abuse the savings by insisting on their right to share the excess oil revenue at anytime.

Crude oil prices have been consistently high, much above the budget benchmark for Budget 2010, but this has not translated into any tangible benefit for citizens and the nation. If anything, the Federal Government has been on a borrowing spree, purportedly for infrastructure development, even when the national treasury should be awash with petro-dollars.

It is regrettable that savings in the ECA, which stood at about $22 billion in May 2007, when the late President Umaru Yar’Adua and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan assumed office, have dropped to less than $3 million today. Curiously, electricity supply is at its lowest at present, despite claims of the injection of some $5.6 billion into the expansion and rehabilitation of power infrastructure by Yar’Adua, back in 2008, while Nigeria’s road network has been compared to those of war-torn countries.

Last April, the International Monetary Fund had advised that “Nigeria needs to continue to have clear policies around the use of the excess crude oil account.” In May 2010, while commenting on the depletion of the ECA, the former Minister of State for Finance, Mr. Remi Babalola, warned that “If we embark on any form of fiscal profligacy today it will certainly hinder our ability to address the various fiscal challenges we are likely to face in the near future.” The Group Managing Director of the World Bank, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, also said, “We must support sticking to the fiscal rule and putting money aside, be it in the SWF, the stabilisation part or the savings part, in the future.

The National Assembly, the Fiscal Responsibility Commission and the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission have failed the nation by allowing such fiscal recklessness by the three tiers of government. The checks and balances enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, the Fiscal Responsibility Act 2007 and other statutes have become important in the environment of laxity and brigandage that has pervaded the public service for a long time now.

For the sake of accountability, as required in a true democratic system, the Federal Government should publish a detailed account of its utilisation of disbursements from the ECA. State and local councils across the country need to give account of the use of ECA funds since 2007. President Jonathan owes the nation a duty to curb fiscal recklessness in line with the sound advice from foreign and local experts.
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by Ufeolorun(m): 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2012
ldpele: source of ua informatn of murkter,bode n soludo makin obj realize hw empty she was?? Dnt mislead n misinform NLders bcause u gat acess to the internet
The guys I mentioned are eggheads though Soludo allowed money taint him but you can't be around these guys and your lack of ideas won't be obvious to a sane mind.
Who's there to challenge general overseer Iweala
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by embason(m): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
Between Ngozi Okonjo- Iwela and Hon. Zakari Mohammed, who is deceiving us? Who and what should Nigerians believe? Is it 56% or 36% budget implementation?
Re: Beware Of Okonji-Iweala`s Advice : Reps To Jonathan by DANILSA(m): 5:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
Nigerians we like criticising our own, we jus prefer others to ourselves. Our economy is growing still the house is trying to distabilise the woman. But why? Jus like eteh, if u don't compromise ur the thief, okonjo has blocked Ghana must go bag, therefore she must be delt with. BABA SAW DIS BF US

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kano Bombings: Give Weapons To Igbos For Self-defence - Ezeife / Tinubu - Jonathan’s Aides Threatening Nigeria’s Unity / Gunmen Abduct German In Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.