Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free (4649 Views)

Some Scriptures People Use Wrongly To Justify Themselves / What Does This Really Mean?"The Truth Shall Set You Free" / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 2:59am On Jul 31, 2012
In the OT, for God to establish a nation through which He will establish the fulfillment of His Covenant, God had to first set them free from their oppression and bondage. In the OT, it was bondage and oppression of Pharaoh that held the people of God bound and they could not serve their God as it should be. Today in the NT, it is lies, heresy, manipulation, intimidation and "twisted" scriptures that keeps God's people in bondage and prevents them for worshiping God in Spirit and in truth (John 4:24). In the OT, God set the people of Israel free by sending Moses to deliver them. In the NT, the only thing that will set God's people free is TRUTH for Jesus said, "You shall KNOW the truth and the truth shall set you free". Truth is the only deliverer sent to the NT believers to set them free from all kinds of oppressions.

Apostle Peter, speaking about Apostle Paul wrote this:

speaking of these things in all of his letters. Some of his comments are hard to understand, and those who are ignorant and unstable have twisted his letters to mean something quite different, just as they do with other parts of Scripture. And this will result in their destruction. 2 Peter 3:16 (NLT)

Also, the writer of Hebrew wrote:

We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. Hebrews 5:11 (NIV)

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV).

I know many of you/us have many scriptures that had been explained to you/us in the past by those we trusted to teach us the truth of God's word but alas, we grew up studying the word only to find out that many of those scriptures were actually "twisted/distorted" to suite traditions of men. Kindly share/post your burden of "twisted/distorted" scriptures here and many strong bible teachers on this board will be here to explain those scriptures to you USING SCRIPTURES TO EXPLAIN SCRIPTURES ONLY.

Let us be respectful, mature in our conversation/presentations here and be open mined to learn without a "preconceived I Must be right/You are wrong" mentality or teaching. Bible teachers, kindly present your strong teachings in CONTEXT as clearing and convincing as you can and that will prove the truth BEYOND ALL CONTRADICTIONS to explain what the word of God says so that whoever ask question on any "twisted" scriptures/readers will be edified and know the truth of God's word, NO MAN'S IDEA AND NO PRIVATE/PERSONAL INTERPRETATIONS PLEASE.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by PastorKun(m): 6:16am On Jul 31, 2012
Interesting but sad topic, unfortunately twisting of scripture and man made doctrines is the order of the day today in most christian denominations. From the catholic church to the protestant churches heresies abound. Today whole denominations are founded based on lies, deceit and twisted scripture that itching ears enjoy hearing. However the most ravaging of these false doctrines is the prosperity gospel which is being used by the devil to distort the true gospel and rob believers of their material resources and more importantly their salvation.

However to the glory of God, God is currently raising an army of believers who have stepped outside church doctrine and decided to follow God in spirit and in truth. And the truth is surely being revealed to them and believers are being set free from the bondage of man made doctrines.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by ATMC(f): 10:24am On Jul 31, 2012
Tx bro goshen, i like u a lot, u know dt? U nd other brethren should clear me on this: when jesus said dt d sin against d holy spirit shall not be forgiven neither in this world nor in d world to come, does it mean dt there r sins dt can be forgiven in d world to come, cos of late i'm begining to believe dt there is forgiveness in d world to come except dt a certain sin wont be forgiven as such. This has made me to think about d roman catholics nd d church of jesus christ of d latter day's saint, who pray for d dead, how come about this revelation to them?
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 3:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
ATMC: Tx bro goshen, i like u a lot, u know dt? U nd other brethren should clear me on this: when jesus said dt d sin against d holy spirit shall not be forgiven neither in this world nor in d world to come, does it mean dt there r sins dt can be forgiven in d world to come, cos of late i'm begining to believe dt there is forgiveness in d world to come except dt a certain sin wont be forgiven as such. This has made me to think about d roman catholics nd d church of jesus christ of d latter day's saint, who pray for d dead, how come about this revelation to them?

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come. Matthew 12:31-32 Kjv

The context of these verse shows the rejection of Christ by the Pharisees and attributing his miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit to Satan even though it was glaring that he cast out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit/finger of God. It is one of their persistent ways of denying Christ. The Pharisees like Saul of Tartus, if they come to repentance will be forgiven but the sin against the Holy Spirit is what Jesus said will not be forgiven.

Now, the question is: does it mean that the blood of Jesus cannot atone for sin against the Holy Spirit? You will notice that at the time Jesus is referring to the sin against the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit had not been given at that time because Jesus had not died. Jesus used the analogy of sin and blasphemy against him to compare to that of the Holy Spirit because it is the Holy Spirit that will later convict the world of sin after Jesus' death and resurrection. This you find in John 16:5-15.

Jesus is not confronting sin and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is committed based on unbelief stemmed from ignorance such as that of Paul when he was still Saul, a Pharisee (1 Tim.1:13) because Paul was later forgiven but such as the Pharisees' deliberate rejection when the Holy Spirit would have been given to testify of Christ and makes his truth known to us, also convicting the world of sin. Also, Peter's rejection of Christ was also forgiven, Luke 22:54-62 and was subsequently restored John 21:15-19. This sin against the Holy Spirit is not committed by believers but by unbelievers who voluntarily reject the finished works of salvation for the bible says, the Lord is that Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17. So the so called "sin against the Holy Spirit" cannot contradict other scriptures that talks about forgiveness when one confesses and repents of his/her sins. 1 John 1:7-9.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 3:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
~double post~
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MrAnony1(m): 3:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
Goshen360:

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come. Matthew 12:31-32 Kjv

The context of these verse shows the rejection of Christ by the Pharisees and attributing his miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit to Satan even though it was glaring that he cast out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit/finger of God. It is one of their persistent ways of denying Christ. The Pharisees like Saul of Tartus, if they come to repentance will be forgiven but the sin against the Holy Spirit is what Jesus said will not be forgiven.

Now, the question is: does it mean that the blood of Jesus cannot atone for sin against the Holy Spirit? You will notice that at the time Jesus is referring to the sin against the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit had not been given at that time because Jesus had not died. Jesus used the analogy of sin and blasphemy against him to compare to that of the Holy Spirit because it is the Holy Spirit that will later convict the world of sin after Jesus' death and resurrection. This you find in John 16:5-15.

Jesus is not confronting sin and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is committed based on unbelief stemmed from ignorance such as that of Paul when he was still Saul, a Pharisee (1 Tim.1:13) because Paul was later forgiven but such as the Pharisees' deliberate rejection when the Holy Spirit would have been given to testify of Christ and makes his truth known to us, also convicting the world of sin. Also, Peter's rejection of Christ was also forgiven, Luke 22:54-62 and was subsequently restored John 21:15-19. This sin against the Holy Spirit is not committed by believers but by unbelievers who voluntarily reject the finished works of salvation for the bible says, the Lord is that Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17. So the so called "sin against the Holy Spirit" cannot contradict other scriptures that talks about forgiveness when one confesses and repents of his/her sins. 1 John 1:7-9.

@ Goshen360, I Think you missed her question, I highlighted the part she was referring to. She's asking whether there is forgiveness of sin at all in the world to come i.e after death

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by PastorAIO: 3:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
ATMC: Tx bro goshen, i like u a lot, u know dt? U nd other brethren should clear me on this: when jesus said dt d sin against d holy spirit shall not be forgiven neither in this world nor in d world to come, [b]does it mean dt there r sins dt can be forgiven in d world to come, cos of late i'm begining to believe dt there is forgiveness in d world to come [/b]except dt a certain sin wont be forgiven as such. This has made me to think about d roman catholics nd d church of jesus christ of d latter day's saint, who pray for d dead, how come about this revelation to them?

Yes Goshen, you missed her point entirely. Me too, I've highlight in red and bolded the parts that I think are most pertinent in what she is asking.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 4:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
@ Pastor AIO, Mr Anony and ATMC,

There is no forgiveness of such sin against the Holy Spirit or after death when such person rejects the gifts of salvation from God through Christ and die in such sins, not in this world or world to come. However, there is forgiveness of all kinds of sins prior to believing in Christ and yielding to the conviction of the Holy Spirit. This is what Christ meant by such sins against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this world or world to come.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 4:57pm On Jul 31, 2012
Twisted Scriptures:

And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah. Genesis 4:19 Kjv

Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah. (NIV)

Mormons cite this verse and their own scriptures (Doctrines and Covenants, Section 132) in order to justify polygamy. Polygamy, however came into existence only after the fall in the garden. The creation mandate directs that a man shall be joined to one wife - Genesis 2:24 and also confirmed by Jesus Christ himself. While there are examples of polygamy in the OT such as 2 Sam. 5:13; 1 Kings 11:3, they did not receive God's approval. Instead, God in His mercy issued laws to protect the many wives and children of polygamists.

Other verse of the scriptures that clearly teaches monogamy include Pro. 5:18-19; Mal. 2:14-15; Mark 10:2-8; 1 Cor. 7:2,10; 1 Tim 3:2,12; Titus 1:6.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 5:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
Twisted Scriptures:

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Genesis 3:15 Kjv

I will make you and the woman hostile toward each other. I will make your descendant[b]s[/b] and her descendant hostile toward each other. He will crush your head, and you will bruise his heel. (GWT)

Revelation 12:17 Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring--those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus.

Many Pentecostal oneness sects use this verse to promote the serpent seed theory. William Branham, a faith healing evangelist of the 1940s, taught that Eve's sin in the garden was an illicit sexual affair with the serpent, resulting in her pregnancy. Such teachings and twisting of God's word is not found in other references in the bible.

The serpent's seed was Cain and his descendants are unscriptural. Scripture is very clear and consistent that the first sin was not sexual and no where is it mentioned as such in the scripture but rather consisted of Adam's disobedience to God's command not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil - Genesis 2:16-17.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by PastorAIO: 5:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
Goshen360: And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah. Genesis 4:19 Kjv

Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah. (NIV)

Mormons cite this verse and their own scriptures (Doctrines and Covenants, Section 132) in order to justify polygamy. Polygamy, however came into existence only after the fall in the garden. The creation mandate directs that a man shall be joined to one wife - Genesis 2:24 and also confirmed by Jesus Christ himself. While there are examples of polygamy in the OT such as 2 Sam. 5:13; 1 Kings 11:3, they did not receive God's approval. Instead, God in His mercy issued laws to protect the many wives and children of polygamists.

Other verse of the scriptures that clearly teaches monogamy include Pro. 5:18-19; Mal. 2:14-15; Mark 10:2-8; 1 Cor. 7:2,10; 1 Tim 3:2,12; Titus 1:6.

Nobody, from what I can tell has enquired about polygamy or any other practice of the Mormon apart from that of praying for the Departed.

Goshen360: @ Pastor AIO, Mr Anony and ATMC,

There is no forgiveness of such sin against the Holy Spirit or after death when such person rejects the gifts of salvation from God through Christ and die in such sins, not in this world or world to come. However, there is forgiveness of all kinds of sins prior to believing in Christ and yielding to the conviction of the Holy Spirit. This is what Christ meant by such sins against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this world or world to come.

Perhaps we haven't asked the question intelligibly enough. I believe that what ATMC is asking is that in order for Jesus to make reference to a forgiveness (or lack of it for a specific sin) in the[b] World to come[/b] (by which I believe she understands the world after one has died) does that mean that there is a possibility for forgiveness of sins for the deceased. This is practised by the Roman Catholics and the Mormons.

We know as you have affirmed that there is 'forgiveness of all kinds of sins prior to believing in Christ and yielding to the conviction of the Holy spirit'. But if there is no forgiveness for a specific sin, ie the sin against the holy spirit, in the World to come then is there forgiveness of other sins in the world to come? I can't speak for ATMC but I believe that is what she is asking. If not then I apologise to her, yet me myself I've taken interest in the issue and would like to know whether you think there is forgiveness of other sins, apart from sin against the holy spirit, in the world to come.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MrAnony1(m): 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Perhaps we haven't asked the question intelligibly enough. I believe that what ATMC is asking is that in order for Jesus to make reference to a forgiveness (or lack of it for a specific sin) in the[b] World to come[/b] (by which I believe she understands the world after one has died) does that mean that there is a possibility for forgiveness of sins for the deceased. This is practised by the Roman Catholics and the Mormons.

We know as you have affirmed that there is 'forgiveness of all kinds of sins prior to believing in Christ and yielding to the conviction of the Holy spirit'. But if there is no forgiveness for a specific sin, ie the sin against the holy spirit, in the World to come then is there forgiveness of other sins in the world to come? I can't speak for ATMC but I believe that is what she is asking. If not then I apologise to her, yet me myself I've taken interest in the issue and would like to know whether you think there is forgiveness of other sins, apart from sin against the holy spirit, in the world to come.
The exact same thing I am asking. This issue has caught my interest.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by PastorAIO: 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
Oops, I realize that the part about polygamy is within the scope of your original title about twisting the scriptures. I apologise. I thought you were addressing ATMC question with it.

Sorry o!
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Okay. I understand the question in another dimension now. I think there is forgiveness of other sin aside sin against the Holy Spirit in the world to come in the sense that, such sin, not against the Holy Spirit are already forgiven in this world or had already be forgiven such soul even before death and such person is wearing the righteousness of Christ. So the point of "in the world to come" is not mentioned as to sin not against the Holy Spirit. Only sin against the Holy Spirit is made reference to as regards "world to come" because same context say, any sin and blasphemy against Christ (son of man) will be forgiven.

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Cor 5:21 (NIV)

For he has made him, who knew no sin, to be sin for us; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (KJV)
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 5:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
Pastor AIO: Oops, I realize that the part about polygamy is within the scope of your original title about twisting the scriptures. I apologise. I thought you were addressing ATMC question with it.

Sorry o!

Nope, am doing my own twisted scriptures also and at the same time refuting it. I have many twisted scriptures to deal with but one at a time as God gives me the Grace.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
The exact same thing I am asking. This issue has caught my interest.

What has caught your interest? "world to come" or what?
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MrAnony1(m): 6:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
Goshen360:

What has caught your interest? "world to come" or what?
I am curious about the possibility of sin, repentance and forgiveness in the world to come
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 6:30pm On Jul 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I am curious about the possibility of sin, repentance and forgiveness in the world to come

Not possible for those who have believed in Christ because there will be no more sin in that world. The "forgiveness" in world to come is only referred to sin against the Holy Spirit.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2012
Goshen360:

Not possible for those who have believed in Christ because there will be no more sin in that world. The "forgiveness" in world to come is only referred to sin against the Holy Spirit.
And this sin against the Holy Spirit? Is it still a mystery or as the Holy Spirit revealed it to anyone?
Used to be a question that puzzled most of the youth members at my church..
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 6:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
musKeeto:
And this sin against the Holy Spirit? Is it still a mystery or as the Holy Spirit revealed it to anyone?

People have stipulated many things out of this sin against the Holy Spirit. Let's look all through the scriptures and see if this sin is the rejection of Christ and/or blasphemy against Christ. Certain not! Peter denied Christ "out" of fear and ignorance. Saul who later became Paul persecuted Christ and the Church in his ignorance but was later forgiven. To rightly discern the sin against the Holy Spirit is to interpret what it is in the light of other relevant scriptures, hence we contradict scriptures. I stand to say that ALL BELIEVERS AND CHRISTIANS WHO BELIEVE IN THE FINISHED WORKS OF THE CROSS don't commit this sin against the Holy Ghost. The context itself says all sins against the son of man shall be forgiven and other scriptures says other sins shall be forgiven and are forgiven.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MrAnony1(m): 7:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
musKeeto:
@muskeeto and @Goshen360, you may want to check out this link.
https://www.nairaland.com/996184/grace-destiny-vs-freewill-brethren/3
I think it deals with the unforgivable sin in some depth
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MrAnony1(m): 7:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
Goshen360:

Ok, Thanks. I'll look into it a bit more sometime as well
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by buzugee(m): 7:27pm On Jul 31, 2012
i see yall goons is breaking bread in here
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by danwo: 8:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
buzugee: i see yall goons is breaking bread in here
aye.church.ajoje lo ndun.And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by buzugee(m): 8:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
danwo:
aye.church.ajoje lo ndun.And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.
quite poignant
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
And they were having all the fun without me sad

Well, I'm here now and I'm really interested in the "sin in the world to come" issue.

While it may make sense to think that Jesus's saying that one sin of a grievous sort could never be forgiven even in the world to come implies the possibility of sin in the world to come, it has no scriptural ground. In fact, Jesus's speaking in that manner has always meant to me that the sin is so grievous as to never ever be forgiven whatever the time or dispensation. I think His focus was the gravity of the offence. And I don't think that He was saying at all that it was possible to commit the sin in the world to come.

But if we were to compare Scripture against Scripture, Deut 4:14, Ez 36:27, Jer 31:31-34, Heb 8:8-13 are all useful to the issue. I put Deut 4:14 because it is crucial to understanding the situation of the Christian. It was said there that the law that was given to the house of Israel in the desert was to guide their behavior in the Promised Land. This was under the Old Covenant. I need to point out here that everything of the Old Covenant was a shadow of the New pointing on to the "better covenant, which (was to be) established on better promises" (Heb 8:6). Therefore there is a counterpart in the New for everything in the Old. We know that it is Christ that is the new Promised Land (not just heaven, but a new heaven and a new earth, a whole new universe, the world to come). Our walk in this world is severally described as a journey, we are "strangers and pilgrims" (1 Pet 2:11) passing through today's world. In that sense, the desert of the Old Testament foreshadowed the world, or our walk in the world, of today. So, the saying that the law the house of Israel received in the desert was to be their way of life in the Promised Land also foreshadowed the fact that the law that we receive now is going to be our way of life in the world to come.

Now, the Old Covenant was imperfect. It "failed" in the most essential thing: it could not remove sin. In fact, the lengths that the Pharisees went to to use it to wipe out iniquity only got this from Jesus: "...ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition." (Matt 15:6). The Old Covenant was not actually established to remove sin, but to show that man was in bondage under sin, so that when Christ came with the New Covenant, the man in slavery would recognize that there was something he needed freeing from. Now, this is where we come to the matter at hand. It has a bearing on whether or not a Christian (a true born child of God) can lose their salvation or not.

The New Covenant spoken of in the other three passages I pointed out addressed the "failing" of the Old. It essentially did away with sin entirely. It was established to offer the man who by reason of the Old Covenant had come to know that he was in a very terrible strait an out. If the man took it, the conditions of the New Covenant would apply.

The conditions include particularly that the man would receive a new nature that is bound irrevocably to righteousness. In other words, this new nature is incapable of sin. Our walk through this world is to steadily teach us to live in this nature. Of course, there is need that we learn how, because we have all our lives lived according to a different and opposing nature that knew only sin and failure. We learn steadily to invest in this nature, to have all our doings in it rather than in the old one (which remains with us because it is useful to the teaching). As soon as our time of learning is done, we have no further need for the teaching tool of our old nature and "this corruptible (will) put on incorruption" (1 Cor 15:54) and we "put off this (our) tabernacle". From the time that we cross the Jordan (death or the Rapture) into the Promised Land (the world to come), we will no longer know sin in any form or shape.

Again, why? Because we did not only receive a knowledge of what God wants, but His Nature as ours to want the things He wants. Sin is an impossibility in the world to come (and we taste that in a measure here) because there is no nature that accommodates it there.

What does this matter to our lives here and now? A great deal. A Christian that has been set free from "trying to stay saved" will grow from that point toward the full maturity of the Nature that he has received and will develop to the fullest all the ability of that Nature to prepare himself for the responsibilities of the world to come.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Goshen360(m): 10:46pm On Jul 31, 2012
^
I am grateful to God for men like you gracing the religious session of Nairaland. Thank you for the above contribution. When people begin to stand up for the truth. I believe falsehood will soon disappear. I was introduced to your thread about the Grace stuff. I will find time to go through all of it. You are welcome. Many times, I often overlook some thread due to Atheists overflowing this board with some unedifying threads, therefore I stay away in order to avoid unnecessary argument. I guess I must have overlooked your thread also. Hence, I will like to follow your thread from henceforth.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 01, 2012
Goshen360: ^
I am grateful to God for men like you gracing the religious session of Nairaland. Thank you for the above contribution. When people begin to stand up for the truth. I believe falsehood will soon disappear. I was introduced to your thread about the Grace stuff. I will find time to go through all of it. You are welcome. Many times, I often overlook some thread due to Atheists overflowing this board with some unedifying threads, therefore I stay away in order to avoid unnecessary argument. I guess I must have overlooked your thread also. Hence, I will like to follow your thread from henceforth.
You and this your nicey ways.. you no be Nigerian? grin grin grin grin

buzugee: i see yall goons is breaking bread in here
Ah, my favorite craseman breadbreaker joins in.. welcome buzu
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MrAnony1(m): 9:43am On Aug 01, 2012
Ihedinobi: And they were having all the fun without me sad

Well, I'm here now and I'm really interested in the "sin in the world to come" issue.

While it may make sense to think that Jesus's saying that one sin of a grievous sort could never be forgiven even in the world to come implies the possibility of sin in the world to come, it has no scriptural ground. In fact, Jesus's speaking in that manner has always meant to me that the sin is so grievous as to never ever be forgiven whatever the time or dispensation. I think His focus was the gravity of the offence. And I don't think that He was saying at all that it was possible to commit the sin in the world to come.

But if we were to compare Scripture against Scripture, Deut 4:14, Ez 36:27, Jer 31:31-34, Heb 8:8-13 are all useful to the issue. I put Deut 4:14 because it is crucial to understanding the situation of the Christian. It was said there that the law that was given to the house of Israel in the desert was to guide their behavior in the Promised Land. This was under the Old Covenant. I need to point out here that everything of the Old Covenant was a shadow of the New pointing on to the "better covenant, which (was to be) established on better promises" (Heb 8:6). Therefore there is a counterpart in the New for everything in the Old. We know that it is Christ that is the new Promised Land (not just heaven, but a new heaven and a new earth, a whole new universe, the world to come). Our walk in this world is severally described as a journey, we are "strangers and pilgrims" (1 Pet 2:11) passing through today's world. In that sense, the desert of the Old Testament foreshadowed the world, or our walk in the world, of today. So, the saying that the law the house of Israel received in the desert was to be their way of life in the Promised Land also foreshadowed the fact that the law that we receive now is going to be our way of life in the world to come.

Now, the Old Covenant was imperfect. It "failed" in the most essential thing: it could not remove sin. In fact, the lengths that the Pharisees went to to use it to wipe out iniquity only got this from Jesus: "...ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition." (Matt 15:6). The Old Covenant was not actually established to remove sin, but to show that man was in bondage under sin, so that when Christ came with the New Covenant, the man in slavery would recognize that there was something he needed freeing from. Now, this is where we come to the matter at hand. It has a bearing on whether or not a Christian (a true born child of God) can lose their salvation or not.

The New Covenant spoken of in the other three passages I pointed out addressed the "failing" of the Old. It essentially did away with sin entirely. It was established to offer the man who by reason of the Old Covenant had come to know that he was in a very terrible strait an out. If the man took it, the conditions of the New Covenant would apply.

The conditions include particularly that the man would receive a new nature that is bound irrevocably to righteousness. In other words, this new nature is incapable of sin. Our walk through this world is to steadily teach us to live in this nature. Of course, there is need that we learn how, because we have all our lives lived according to a different and opposing nature that knew only sin and failure. We learn steadily to invest in this nature, to have all our doings in it rather than in the old one (which remains with us because it is useful to the teaching). As soon as our time of learning is done, we have no further need for the teaching tool of our old nature and "this corruptible (will) put on incorruption" (1 Cor 15:54) and we "put off this (our) tabernacle". From the time that we cross the Jordan (death or the Rapture) into the Promised Land (the world to come), we will no longer know sin in any form or shape.

Again, why? Because we did not only receive a knowledge of what God wants, but His Nature as ours to want the things He wants. Sin is an impossibility in the world to come (and we taste that in a measure here) because there is no nature that accommodates it there.

What does this matter to our lives here and now? A great deal. A Christian that has been set free from "trying to stay saved" will grow from that point toward the full maturity of the Nature that he has received and will develop to the fullest all the ability of that Nature to prepare himself for the responsibilities of the world to come.
Permit me to say this: I love you my brother! I give glory to God for the grace and wisdom He has given you.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by ATMC(f): 10:58am On Aug 01, 2012
Tx ye all but...
@ihedi While it may make sense to think that Jesus's saying that one sin of a grievous sort could never be forgiveneven in the world to come implies the possibility of sin in the world to come, it has no scriptural ground...
My point is not whether one can commit sin in d world to come rather whether d sins committed by a christian in this world can be forgiven him or her in d world to come
@ musKeeto: And this sin against the Holy Spirit? Is it still a mystery or as the Holy Spirit revealed it to anyone?
D sin against d holy spirit is not a mystery. D holy spirit came to bear witness of d son ie jesus...if one rejects jesus' witness of truth like d pharisees did, it shall be forgiven him in d world to come but if any reject d witnes of d spirit, of jesus, it wont be forgiven him in this world nd in d world to come...therefore a christian who has recieved jesus cannot commit d sin against d holy spirit.
I understand dt their wont be sin in d new world but i'm just begining to think dt maybe there is forgiveness of sin dt one committed while on earth in d world to come...so praying for a dead loved one to be forgiven is likely ok...just saying not sure anyway
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Permit me to say this: I love you my brother! I give glory to God for the grace and wisdom He has given you.

I love you too, bro. I am indeed grateful to belong to His Family. What would I be, what would I know without such a Family? It is in their midst that I see the Lord of Glory and can tell of Him.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 01, 2012
ATMC: Tx ye all but...
@ihedi While it may make sense to think that Jesus's saying that one sin of a grievous sort could never be forgiveneven in the world to come implies the possibility of sin in the world to come, it has no scriptural ground...
My point is not whether one can commit sin in d world to come rather whether d sins committed by a christian in this world can be forgiven him or her in d world to come

I understand dt their wont be sin in d new world but i'm just begining to think dt maybe there is forgiveness of sin dt one committed while on earth in d world to come...so praying for a dead loved one to be forgiven is likely ok...just saying not sure anyway

I see what you mean now. It's more whether a person's iniquities can be forgiven them after death as a result of prayers from the surviving loved ones than whether sin is possible in the world to come.

Well, that would have been tricky without all those Scriptures about repentance and forgiveness of sin. My dear sister, beloved of the Lord and mine as well, the Bible says that it shall no more be said that the fathers eat sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge (I will in an edition of this post indicate where it said so). The place addressed the problem of responsibility for sin. It is the soul that sinneth that shall die, not that which careth about it. What I mean is that we are all individually responsible, utterly responsible for our individual sins. Nobody can repent or be forgiven for another's sins. The only place where the Scriptures say things that seem to contradict are places like, "if you shall forgive any body their sin here on earth, it shall be forgiven them in heaven...", and that very place refered only to wrongs done to one or to the Body of Christ in their obedience to the Lord with Whom they walk.

No prayers made for anybody whether dead or alive can answer for their responsibility before God. Each man is responsible to repent for their sin against God and sue for mercy before Judgment. If they fail to do so in their lifetime, perhaps on the Day of Judgment they may have another chance (I am not going to discuss that), perhaps not, but one thing is certain: your prayers won't do anything for them. They alone are responsible for their failure.

I hope you understand this, sis. If you do not, please feel free to question me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brazilian Pastor Convinced Followers His Penis Contained HOLY MILK. Now Arrested / Adam Was Not The First Man / You Cannot Divorce Him Or Her, Else You End Up In Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.