Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free (4654 Views)

Some Scriptures People Use Wrongly To Justify Themselves / What Does This Really Mean?"The Truth Shall Set You Free" / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
anukulapo: Mark 16:17-18 KJV .
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; ...

Many have been questioned "are you born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues?"

The above scripture seems to be their reference and instances from the book of acts.

I wonder why they don't ask of other signs like "...with the evidence of casting out devils" or "...with the evidence of drinking deadly things and not being hurt?" And so on.

We know that "if any have not the spirit of christ, he's none of his"
Therefore,if the evidence of receiving the spirit is tongues,non tongue speakers are not going to be with christ for & in eternity?

Thanks. I await your clarifications.

Honestly, I didn't see any need for clarification. It seemed to me that you'd clarified it yourself with that verse from Rom 8 and your next comments. Obviously, we don't prove that we have the Spirit by drinking deadly things and not being harmed. And if we don't, we cannot prove our Christianity by speaking in tongues either. Jesus even did speak of false signs and wonders in the days following His return to Heaven. So, judging anybody's Christianity by their tongue-speaking is foolishness and exceedingly dangerous. We will reject a lot of true Christians and embrace anti-christ that way.

The evidence that a man has the Spirit is the fruit of the Spirit that he bears: LOVE.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 05, 2012
Also, anukulapo, the 14th chapter is not that long. What passage did you mean?
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by anukulapo: 8:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ihedinobi: Also, anukulapo, the 14th chapter is not that long. What passage did you mean?

14th chapter of which book? Mark or romans?
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 1:48am On Aug 06, 2012
anukulapo:

14th chapter of which book? Mark or romans?

I was refering to the bolded in the following quote of your post.

anukulapo: Good explanation and to back up one of you points

"However, ignorance or not, the moral value of
the act remains the same. Those first two
students did in fact fail"

Luke 14:42-48...tips can also be gathered to buttress your point from there and from the parable of talents too

However,my last post have not been cleared.
Attn:all and goshen360
Thanks all.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 5:59am On Aug 06, 2012
ATMC: Tx bro goshen, i like u a lot, u know dt? U nd other brethren should clear me on this: when jesus said dt d sin against d holy spirit shall not be forgiven neither in this world nor in d world to come, does it mean dt there r sins dt can be forgiven in d world to come, cos of late i'm begining to believe dt there is forgiveness in d world to come except dt a certain sin wont be forgiven as such. This has made me to think about d roman catholics nd d church of jesus christ of d latter day's saint, who pray for d dead, how come about this revelation to them?
actually it isnt only the catholic church and lata day saints that pray to the ''dead". All the churches that existed before 1500 pray to the ''dead'' and high anglicans and jews do the same. To talk about pray to the ''dead'' is insultive to a catholics becos the bible makes it clear that there are no "dead" in christ. If you 'left this word' a xtain then you are alive in christ you are not dead you are alive, infact you have an abundance of life. If you are a big fan of christain history then you have probably heard about the apostles creed the last part says ''i believe in the holy spirit, the holy catholic church the communion of saints the forgiveness of sins the resurrection of d body and life everlasting''. The phase i want talk about is 'the communion of saints' if you read you bible well you will find out that the saint are *believer on earth *those in heaven *and those undergoing 'salvation by fire. The doctrine of d communion of saint say that the believer on earth, the saints in heaven and those 'going thru fire' are one body of christ, one church. Just the way the all parts of a human body help each other, so must the part of christ body so the believer on earth(militant), in heaven(glorious) and those going thru purgation are in communion. That mean in christ well have access to one another even those who have left this world. Just the way a protestant can ask his pastor to pray for him a catholic can ask the saint and angels and humans to pray for him since they are all brethren in christ, a catholic can also pray directly to God. That is the almost complete doctrine of the communion of saints. The last part of the doctrine is purgatory after reading these passages of scripture and the witness of the apostles the early xtains also believed that some sins can be forgiven in the other world. The state or place of in which such sin are dealt with is call purgatory. To be continued.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 6:11am On Aug 06, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I am curious about the possibility of sin, repentance and forgiveness in the world to come
there is zero posibility of repentance in after death but there is a posibility of mercy even after death, you can ask how.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by anukulapo: 11:46am On Aug 06, 2012
@Ihedinobi and all:very sorry bout the wrong quote--typo. It should be Luke 12:42-48

"But he that *knew not* and did commit things worthy of stripes *shall be beaten* with few stripes..."

Though ignorant,he still won't be spared.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 06, 2012
Thanks, my brother (you're male, right?), for clearing that up. It was indeed an eye-opener.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by MacDaddy01: 9:19pm On Aug 06, 2012
Ihedinobi: Thanks, my brother (you're male, right?), for clearing that up. It was indeed an eye-opener.

you are needed here

https://www.nairaland.com/1010605/questions-mr-anony-idhenobi
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by ATMC(f): 7:53am On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: actually it isnt only the catholic church and lata day saints that pray to the ''dead". All the churches that existed before 1500 pray to the ''dead'' and high anglicans and jews do the same. To talk about pray to the ''dead'' is insultive to a catholics becos the bible makes it clear that there are no "dead" in christ. If you 'left this word' a xtain then you are alive in christ you are not dead you are alive, infact you have an abundance of life. If you are a big fan of christain history then you have probably heard about the apostles creed the last part says ''i believe in the holy spirit, the holy catholic church the communion of saints the forgiveness of sins the resurrection of d body and life everlasting''. The phase i want talk about is 'the communion of saints' if you read you bible well you will find out that the saint are *believer on earth *those in heaven *and those undergoing 'salvation by fire. The doctrine of d communion of saint say that the believer on earth, the saints in heaven and those 'going thru fire' are one body of christ, one church. Just the way the all parts of a human body help each other, so must the part of christ body so the believer on earth(militant), in heaven(glorious) and those going thru purgation are in communion. That mean in christ well have access to one another even those who have left this world. Just the way a protestant can ask his pastor to pray for him a catholic can ask the saint and angels and humans to pray for him since they are all brethren in christ, a catholic can also pray directly to God. That is the almost complete doctrine of the communion of saints. The last part of the doctrine is purgatory after reading these passages of scripture and the witness of the apostles the early xtains also believed that some sins can be forgiven in the other world. The state or place of in which such sin are dealt with is call purgatory. To be continued.
u missed something in my post. I wasn't referring to praying 'to' but 'for' the dead. They differ.
R u in essence saying there's such thing as purgatory?
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 10:25am On Aug 07, 2012
ATMC: u missed something in my post. I wasn't referring to praying 'to' but 'for' the dead. They differ.
in essence yes, im saying that even after death God may still be merciful and grant salvation 1cor 3:15 clarifys that even if a mans work is burnt up he will suffer loss yet he will be saved, but only as through fire. So simply put xtian who made little mistakes of imperfection before they died may still go to heaven but they must suffer loss and their imperfection must be cleansed because nothing defiled can enter into heaven. One can pray for them since we belong to one body in christ and ask God to quicken their purification and grant them rest in his kingdom. That is the last part of the doctrine of the communion of saints. The saints can join you in prayer and you can pray for those who havent yet experienced the beatific vision.
Peace be with u.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 10:26am On Aug 07, 2012
ATMC: u missed something in my post. I wasn't referring to praying 'to' but 'for' the dead. They differ.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: in essence yes, im saying that even after death God may still be merciful and grant salvation 1cor 3:15 clarifys that even if a mans work is burnt up he will suffer loss yet he will be saved, but only as through fire. So simply put xtian who made little mistakes of imperfection before they died may still go to heaven but they must suffer loss and their imperfection must be cleansed because nothing defiled can enter into heaven. One can pray for them since we belong to one body in christ and ask God to quicken their purification and grant them rest in his kingdom. That is the last part of the doctrine of the communion of saints. The saints can join you in prayer and you can pray for those who havent yet experienced the beatific vision.
Peace be with u.

Wrong, my brother. But since you said that the Bible is not your final authority, I won't pursue it. I'll only say that your interpretation of 1 Cor 3:15 is terribly wrong.

1 Like

Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 2:28pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Wrong, my brother. But since you said that the Bible is not your final authority, I won't pursue it. I'll only say that your interpretation of 1 Cor 3:15 is terribly wrong.
i said d word of God is my authority, besides i would luv to hear ur interpretation.
Peace.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ubenedictus: i said d word of God is my authority, besides i would luv to hear ur interpretation.
Peace.

The problem here is that for me, the Bible = the Word of God, whereas that equation may not be strictly true for you, I do not know. If we have disagreement as to what to appeal to as final arbiter, then our discussion will be endless and meaningless.

For instance, to interpret that verse, I will compare other parts of the Bible to it. I will make no appeal outside of the Bible. My reason/logic will serve only point out how one part of the Bible upholds the other so that both say a coherent thing, it will not bring in new, independent information to buttress or excuse anything that is in the Bible.

That's why interpreting this verse is quite pointless. If you'll accept my position, I will interpret it and if you have a contrary view, you can show that the Bible supports it. But if you intend to appeal outside the Bible at any point, obviously, we'll never agree.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ihedinobi:

The problem here is that for me, the Bible = the Word of God, whereas that equation may not be strictly true for you, I do not know. If we have disagreement as to what to appeal to as final arbiter, then our discussion will be endless and meaningless.

For instance, to interpret that verse, I will compare other parts of the Bible to it. I will make no appeal outside of the Bible. My reason/logic will serve only point out how one part of the Bible upholds the other so that both say a coherent thing, it will not bring in new, independent information to buttress or excuse anything that is in the Bible.

That's why interpreting this verse is quite pointless. If you'll accept my position, I will interpret it and if you have a contrary view, you can show that the Bible supports it. But if you intend to appeal outside the Bible at any point, obviously, we'll never agree.
even d bible appeals to outside authority and d bible certainly tell christians to hold on to tradition. And yes i believe d bible is d word of God even though not every word God spoke is recorded. You can go on with ur explanation, i have no problem discussing using d bible.
Peace
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ubenedictus: even d bible appeals to outside authority and d bible certainly tell christians to hold on to tradition. And yes i believe d bible is d word of God even though not every word God spoke is recorded. You can go on with ur explanation, i have no problem discussing using d bible.
Peace

May I request that you join me at this thread, www.nairaland.com/1009653/grace-why-works-let-us#1009653.10 ? I am discussing on it with my brother, Mr Anony, Pastor AIO, and a few others.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Ubenedictus(m): 8:01pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ihedinobi:

May I request that you join me at this thread, www.nairaland.com/1009653/grace-why-works-let-us#1009653.10 ? I am discussing on it with my brother, Mr Anony, Pastor AIO, and a few others.
im already there, that is a discussion on grace right?
Peace
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 09, 2012
Ubenedictus: im already there, that is a discussion on grace right?
Peace

Right.
Re: Twisted Scriptures - And The Truth Shall Set You Free by ATMC(f): 6:07am On Nov 22, 2012
Explain luke 16 to me. Someone told me d other day dt its d use to which money is put dt makes it unrighteous and not how its got...he referred me to luke 16 but i didn't seem to grasp it, what do you have to say about luke 16, d story about d unfaithful steward?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did GOD Create "Space"??? There is No Gravity / Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone / What's The Difference Between Those Canned Prayer Points And Hail Marys?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.