Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? (19983 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by oddysey(m): 11:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
Attached is an article I wrote about tithes.

I hope you find time to go through it. Cheers.

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by ikachi1: 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
You will be more blessed giving to the needy than to the greedy pastors to build their empires. If the appostles practiced Christianity the way it is done now, Christianity would have died long time before now. No pastor wants to sacrifice his comfort here and store up treasure in heaven as the bible said. The modern pastors will quote all manners of chapters and verses of the bible to justify outright robbery of the congregation. Pay no tithe to any one but give to the needy. You will be fine before our creator.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 11:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
Chylo: Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have noticed something in all the responses here. People are just commenting on what they think or feel, but noone is talking about what the scriptures say. People get confused, even true believers, due to the way it has been so perverted, but God's principles remain the same. I will not argue either way, but I will simply present the scriptures (all from the new testament too) for you to make up your own minds.

1. Matt. 23:23 and Luke 11:42 - Jesus condemns the scribes and Pharisees for tithing even the smallest things, without doing the more important things like mercy, fair judgement and faith. However, He then concludes by asking them to do these more vital things, [b] without leaving the tithing [/b]undone. I think this answers the OP's question. No, tithing alone will not get you to heaven!

This is ignorant misrepresentation at best and deception at worst. Jesus did NOT comment on Tithing in Christianity at all and so we do not know FIRST HAND what his views were.

What is key is this Tithing was payment due to priests in Judaism i.e Jewish priests under Jewish law. It arose for clear reasons to serve a specific purpose.NOT anyone could become a priest as is the case in Christianity. Jesus himself could NOT become a priest and so could NOT receive TITHES It was usually food/agric produce not cash.
Jewish priests belong to a particular tribe (Levites). We must remember that Levites did not enjoy the same rights as the other 11 tribes of Israel to share in the spoils of war and land when they took over the promised land
Jesus was NOT a Levite neither a priest and under Jewish law could not receive tithes.He did not.
TITHES in Judaism were in effect a TAX and was COMPULSORY. It was a political and religious levy under a THEOCRATIC system.It cannot subsist under Christianity because Jesus did not command it and the Church has no political role
Christianity is a suppossedly new system under which anyone may serve as clergy but they are not priests under Jewish Law and anything They collect cannot be called TITHE under the JEWISH SYSTEM since only Levites may collect that. As such it would have to be called another name and cannot be subject to the same treatment of Tithes within the meaning of Jewish law as mentioned in Malachi. Let us not mislead ourselves.Any religion may levy its adherents,that is their right but to call it TITHE is wrong because the context of tithe was to COMPENSATE the HEBREW Tribe of LEVI for their economic disadvantage like our own 13% derivation fund.
It is clear this does NOT exist in Chritianity and if the system was to continue in chritianity there should be scriptural guidance.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by KiKatanga: 11:51pm On Aug 12, 2012
ikachi1: You will be more blessed giving to the needy than to the greedy pastors to build their empires. If the appostles practiced Christianity the way it is done now, Christianity would have died long time before now. No pastor wants to sacrifice his comfort here and store up treasure in heaven as the bible said. The modern pastors will quote all manners of chapters and verses of the bible to justify outright robbery of the congregation. Pay no tithe to any one but give to the needy. You will be fine before our creator.

Booom!

That's the best idea. Take your tithe, put 1% for your pastor to buy another jet, then take the other 9% and go to the needy with your fellow churchgoers and with the Muslims and atheists you know -- those who are good people will happily accompany you. Buy them education, buy them food, buy them blankets, sit with them, talk with them, help them.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 11:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
studM:

what has d law got to do wit tithing?Abraham paid tithe 500yrs before the law,issac also paid 250yrs before the law
ur understanding is unfruitful for now concerning tithe,wen it comes u will,cuz its mandatory if u want covenant wealth

Abraham paid tithe? To whom? To God or human?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 11:58pm On Aug 12, 2012
One funny thing about Christians is they like to pick and choose when to invoke or discard the Old Testament when it suits them often coming across as very bad lawyers.

Jesus the Son of Mary,Was a Jew. While he Never publicly Renounced Judaism it was clear that he objected to some practises that were core to Judaism which he considered unholy.

After his death his disciples and Paul,not a disciple but a convert,went even further.

A few illustrations.
The practice of offering a portion of one's earnings dates back to the time of Cain and Abel. I will not go into details her of their story.
Tithing is essentially a continuation of that tradition among the JEWS and is essentially a JEWISH tradition. In my opinion this is how Moses "Settled" His brother Aaron and their tribe for life.
Their tribe were priests and did not receive a share of Land/spoils of war when they got to the PROMISED LAND in the same way as the other 11 tribes.
The law of Moses mandated so many prescribed offerings by the Jews e.g. A women was to offer 2 doves as a guilt offering for every menstrual period = 24 a year times several thousand women.These were sold at the temple. That is just menstruation
There were prescribe offerings for boils,gonorrhea and many other forms of ritual uncleanliness eg coming across a dead pig etc. The point here is there were hundreds of practices/rituals peculiar to the Jews some of which Jesus during his lifetime challenged e.g stoning the adulterer but did not quite forbid.
Paul had a vision about eating unclean foods which some argue was a parable others say it was a parable but also to be taken literally as justification for Christians eating pork. I do not believe Paul or any other disciple went on to start eating pork but rather this was an accommodation like many other for Europeans.
So why all this history? Malachi is an Old testament book.The old testament recommends that we stone adulterers,smite blaphemers and is pretty much very similar to Islam which Christians like to Malign. Why choose to retain tithing and discard smiting,stoning,burnt offerings etc. Under Christianity there is no Priest tribe as there was in judaism.
The same church that seeks to rubbish pretty much every old testament commandment wants to retain that that has to do with money conveniently forgetting that under old Testament rules only Levites may be priests. We must not forget that a "priest" is not the same thing as a pastor bishop etc.Have we forgotten how many people Jehovah killed just because unauthorized persons (Non-Levites) touched his Ark.
PLease read your bible well.TITHING IS A SCAM

Hear PAUL

2 corinthians 9:7-9:7

7Each of you must give as you have made up your mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
The key issue is that a Christian is required to "support the church workers financially without compulsion".
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by elviszzz: 12:11am On Aug 13, 2012
If do not pay ur tithe,u steal from God and u r worst dan a robber.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by jcross19: 12:13am On Aug 13, 2012
olamike: Paying of TITHE is very compulsory and mandatory, infact one has no option than to pay,read Malachi 3 verses 8 and 9
you are brainwashed okay , any priest must own anything even house to live but live in temple okay that, anything out of that is a fruad. Okay and tithe is only paid in temple not in church is different from church and that kind of doctrine is judaism okay after the death of christ a new religion emerged , so please can some one show me in bible after the death of christ and his acension can someone show me where tith is being mentioned even mt 5 vr 2 to 13 I don't see where jesus mention tith there.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by KiKatanga: 12:19am On Aug 13, 2012
elviszzz: If do not pay ur tithe,u steal from God and u r worst dan a robber.
If you spend 10% of your wages doing god's work, do you need to pay the church?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Blemex: 1:05am On Aug 13, 2012
pstbolanta: PL;S LETS BE SERIOUS HERE
u caused d rubbish, cos i c no reason y u shd bring topic lik dis 2 nairaland wen u av ur bible... Study 2 show thyself aprovd un2 God, a workman dat needeth nt 2 b ashamed, rightly dividing d word of truth.. But shun profane and babblings 4 dey wil increase un2 mor ungodlines.
Its beta u read Malachi 3:1-18. Precisely 4rm verses 8-12
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Blemex: 1:07am On Aug 13, 2012
kenny888: without tithe,pastors will go hungry,why do you think we have so many churches around the whole area,even some face to face churches
dat shows u atend one of doz churches.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Blemex: 1:11am On Aug 13, 2012
ebamma: tithe in nigerian churches is defined as the money gullible worshippers pay every month to the pastor,who uses it to buy private jets,luxurious cars,expensive clothes and exotic houses.
shut up if u dnt av any reasönable fin 2 say. Or where on earth is dat definitn st8td?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by CHIMSKY(m): 1:13am On Aug 13, 2012
I am tired of this tithe business.It has pushed the gospel of salvation to the back of the room.If u must pay your tithe,I strongly recommend you look for the needy or some other indigent person that badly needs an intervention.Believe me,the blessings you get will be uncountable.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Ayatullah(m): 4:53am On Aug 13, 2012
@pstbolanta, It seems you were drunk when you made your post, you said: ................ANYONE THAT DOES NOT PAY HIOS TITHE WILL GO TO HEAVEN, you definitely lost the point you were trying to make.........gullible NAIRALANDERS however still went ahead to attend to you(guess they know what you mean to say). THE TRUTH IS THAT JESUS IS WAITING FOR YOU PEOPLE ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT WHEN HE WILL DECLARE TO YOU THAT YOU ARE WORKERS OF INIQUITY AND THAT YOU SHOULD PISSSSSSSSSS OFFFFF TO HELL. Read the Quran and accept Islam.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goshen360(m): 5:24am On Aug 13, 2012
To all those who speak for tithe as still binding to Christians today. I will like to lay to rest this subject until a time in the future when I shall come back to do a comprehensive exposition on tithing from the first mentioned of the word tithe in the bible to the last and we shall open the book to expose this sensitive topic. It has been dealt with in the past but we will deal with it again because all these false tithe teachers can't stop deceiving people in the name of God, so will not also stop contending for the truth of our faith. ~I rest my case for now~
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by linearity: 5:28am On Aug 13, 2012
teminoni: Paying tithe is not a condition to enter the kingdom of heaven. But Jesus requested that as good christians, we should pay tithe. And the tithe should be used for the maintenance of the church and for feeding the poor and the old widowed members of the church.

Can you be so kind to post the Bible passage where "Jesus requested that as good Christians, we should pay tithe."?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by texazzpete(m): 6:45am On Aug 13, 2012
Chylo: Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have noticed something in all the responses here. People are just commenting on what they think or feel, but noone is talking about what the scriptures say. People get confused, even true believers, due to the way it has been so perverted, but God's principles remain the same. I will not argue either way, but I will simply present the scriptures (all from the new testament too) for you to make up your own minds.

1. Matt. 23:23 and Luke 11:42 - Jesus condemns the scribes and Pharisees for tithing even the smallest things, without doing the more important things like mercy, fair judgement and faith. However, He then concludes by asking them to do these more vital things, without leaving the tithing undone. I think this answers the OP's question. No, tithing alone will not get you to heaven!

2. Luke 18:12-14 - Jesus tells the story of two people praying, one a Pharisee, one a sinner. The Pharisee prays proudly saying he fasts twice a week and pays tithes, while the sinner prays humbly for mercy. Jesus concludes that the sinner is more justified than the other because,"everyone that exaltheth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted". Notice that Jesus does not condemn d scribe for tithing, but rather for being proud about it. If tithing were wrong from here, then so also would fasting twice a week. The lesson is, if you tithe, well and good, do not be proud of it. Also, if you are a sinner and do not tithe, God can still accept you; but this is not the ideal situation.

3. Hebrews 7:4-9 - Here, Paul suggests that tithing is a spiritual principle. Of particular importance is verse 8, where Paul says, "And here men that die receive tithes; but there He receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth". In other words, as human beings receive tithes here on earth, Jesus in heaven receives them there. When you pay tithes, you are not giving to any man, but to Jesus himself. You should imagine you are standing before God when presenting it. This is also an answer to those people saying you can pay tithes by giving alms, this is not what the scripture teaches.

What I can only say to pastors is that, please and please do not force people to pay tithes, it does not guarantee heaven, neither does it make one holy; however, simply present the Word of God to the people and leave them with the choice of whether to obey or not to obey.

Thank you very much.

This is what happens when Christians become Pastor worshippers and fail to study their Bibles properly.

Of course Jesus Christ would have NEVER asked the Pharisees to stop paying tithes. They were JEWS and it was Jewish custom to pay tithes to compensate the Levites for not working. How convenient of you to cherry pick passages from the Old testament and ignore others. Why do we not send women who are menstruating to the 'unclean' corner? Why no more burnt offerings?

The Bible is rife with stories of how the early Christians handled financial matters; the early SPIRIT FILLED Christians were selling property and giving to the poor, selling property and taking it to the church where it was shared THEN AND THERE with the widows, the sick and the needy. Yet you charlatans will rather use that verse in Malachi instead of reading the Acts of the Apostles!

Jesus Christ had tons of parables focusing on love, charity and giving to the poor. He had ZERO about sowing seeds, tithing and 'first fruits'. Yet our Pastors these days slavishly focus on tithes and sowing seeds...and sheep like you lap it up.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Amjustme: 7:23am On Aug 13, 2012
Another way of asking ur question is, Can I rob GOD and go to heaven? Or can I be a thief and go to heaven? If u don't pay ur tithe d bible says u r robbing GOD and ur a thief. Just pay ur tithe to ur own church and let d Pastors do wot they would wit it, at least btw u n GOD, u don clear ur way.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by KiKatanga: 7:33am On Aug 13, 2012
Am just me: Another way of asking ur question is, Can I rob GOD and go to heaven? Or can I be a thief and go to heaven? If u don't pay ur tithe d bible says u r robbing GOD and ur a thief. Just pay ur tithe to ur own church and let d Pastors do wot they would wit it, at least btw u n GOD, u don clear ur way.

If you spend your 10% doing God's work with the sick and the needy, need you pay the pastor?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 7:44am On Aug 13, 2012
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 7:45am On Aug 13, 2012
texazzpete:

This is what happens when Christians become Pastor worshippers and fail to study their Bibles properly.

Of course Jesus Christ would have NEVER asked the Pharisees to stop paying tithes. They were JEWS and it was Jewish custom to pay tithes to compensate the Levites for not working. How convenient of you to cherry pick passages from the Old testament and ignore others. Why do we not send women who are menstruating to the 'unclean' corner? Why no more burnt offerings?

The Bible is rife with stories of how the early Christians handled financial matters; the early SPIRIT FILLED Christians were selling property and giving to the poor, selling property and taking it to the church where it was shared THEN AND THERE with the widows, the sick and the needy. Yet you charlatans will rather use that verse in Malachi instead of reading the Acts of the Apostles!

Jesus Christ had tons of parables focusing on love, charity and giving to the poor. He had ZERO about sowing seeds, tithing and 'first fruits'. Yet our Pastors these days slavishly focus on tithes and sowing seeds...and sheep like you lap it up.

This is exactly how I believe the church should operate. imagine many churches own universities that members of their churches could not afford. Ironically it was these same members that contributed their so called 'seeds', pledges etc to establish these universities, what a daylight robbery!

Tithing is 100% scam
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 7:52am On Aug 13, 2012
No pastor should own private jets while his church members continue to live in penury. Peter and the early christians collected money from properties sold by early christian and distributed according to the needs of everyone. What this means is that if Peter himself own anything he sold them, none of the apostles rely on tithes.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by texazzpete(m): 8:35am On Aug 13, 2012
Am just me: Another way of asking ur question is, Can I rob GOD and go to heaven? Or can I be a thief and go to heaven? If u don't pay ur tithe d bible says u r robbing GOD and ur a thief. Just pay ur tithe to ur own church and let d Pastors do wot they would wit it, at least btw u n GOD, u don clear ur way.

The bible also says
1) any woman on her period is Unclean. Any one who she has contact with in that time (seven days) is also unclean. .
2) Don't round your hair at the temples or mar the edges of your beard. - Leviticus 19:27
3) The smell of a bull burnt at the sacrificial altar is pleasing to God - Leviticus 1:9

So why are you sheep not doing any of these?

Oh, wait. I know. The Pastors cant use any of these to milk money from you, can they?

Now, let me show you what Jesus said under the NEW COVENANT

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

So explicitly Jesus is telling you in the new testament (NOT THE OLD!!) that what he delights in is when you give to the poor, visit the sick and show love to the common man out there. Did you see anywhere he mentioned giving 10% of your salary to him?

For all those who cling like sheep to the 'sow and you shall reap' mantra of our pastors these days, in the Parable of the Widow's Mite where the widow gave most of her possession as offering out of love, did it end with Jesus making her a multi-millionaire? No! Jesus told us she would reap her riches in Heaven! Your pastors now will start filling your heads with stories of bentleys and government contracts when you donate big money.

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Soundmind(m): 8:37am On Aug 13, 2012
It is good and advisable to pay tithe but it is not a must for u to go to heaven
The only condition for u to go to heaven is John 3:3 and 5
"U must be born again"
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by illicit(m): 8:51am On Aug 13, 2012
De-Grace01:
Pls don't misinform or lead pple arms giving is quit different from tithe. Tithe is giving one tenth of wht u made and to be given to the minister of God(priest or pastor) is not the same wt d one u give to the poor. Again in tithe u must gv one tenth bt arms giving u give what u like.
so is anything wrong, if i give my one tenth to the poor?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Enigma(m): 8:52am On Aug 13, 2012

This is very wrong and very very terrible. The Bible does not say a Christian is robbing God by not tithing. The Bible does not even require a Christian to tithe in the first place!

Take this little test from an old thread "Who is robbing God? https://www.nairaland.com/747403/another-poll-robbing-god

Enigma: Here are examples of three Christian givers. (I am using just three examples but people can figure out that there are myriad permutations)

1. Mr A earns 1000 a month; unfailingly he gives 100 a month as "tithe" in/to "church"; he gives 50 a month as offering; he then gives up to 20 to other needy causes outside "church".

2. Mr B earns 1000 a month; he gives anything up to 90 in/to church every month, he then gives 110 to other needy causes outside the "church".

3. Mrs C is a seller of "provisions"; any time that she is going to buy stock, she buys 10% extra (e.g. instead of buying 100 cans of milk, she buys 110); she regularly takes the extra 10% to her local orphanage; she then gives about 5% of her net profits in/to "church".

. . . . smiley

So, which of these three persons is robbing God?

smiley
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by illicit(m): 8:54am On Aug 13, 2012
i believe in charity rather than paying compulsive tithes that is of no us to humanity at large! and wen will u all drop this going to heaven thing? see wen u die den u decay here on earth, u heard?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Jamisco: 10:14am On Aug 13, 2012
olamike: Paying of TITHE is very compulsory and mandatory, infact one has no option than to pay,read Malachi 3 verses 8 and 9

my thought is different from yours, I think tithe should be paid but not compulsory.

Malachi 3:8-9 talked about tithe as food to the priests and the needy but most of our pastors today are on salary and the needy are not taking care of. also the church has so many means of getting funds.

the New Testament has not mentioned anything about tithe but a cheerful giver.

remember the NT does not condemned the OT. so pls give tithe if you can but not compulsory. the widow gave her mite so give your mite too.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by amanyi4u(m): 10:31am On Aug 13, 2012
if you have money look around you, they are people that do not have. Fine something for them to eat instead giving ur money to a man in the name of tithe
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by itoldu: 10:45am On Aug 13, 2012
Can you owe me and expect me to answer to your every beck and call?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by samizy1000: 10:56am On Aug 13, 2012
its goood to o but just that have yet to pay 4 2 months. wise means an rubing GOD for two months
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by samizy1000: 10:59am On Aug 13, 2012
AMANYI Are u a christain undecidedAMANYI Are u a christain coz if of are u will know that titing is your obeligation to GOD.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Alcohol Is Medicinal - Rev Fr Oluoma / Man Kneels Down To Welcome Apostle Suleman In Sweden(photos) / Being The Odd One In A Sex-infested Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.