Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? (19987 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by samizy1000: 11:03am On Aug 13, 2012
illicit u must be a jehovah witness
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Revolva(m): 11:17am On Aug 13, 2012
Well na wetin oyedepo take hammer after all the brainwashed mugus pay pay ooo and till date their problem aint solved- fela don talk am na pastor life dey better pass - na followers dey suffer-
You see there is no heaven or hell bro its just a state if mind- we are already in hell here on earth -nigeria and you can get ur heaven here also hussle hard and make money you will enjoy or travel to yankee or europe and you will see heaven a bit- religion heaven or hell are all lies

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by xyztus(m): 11:31am On Aug 13, 2012
tithing is very important as stress'd in the bible,bt because you should pay tithe does not mean you must give it to every church in every street corner,and pls if i may add its not a guarantee for you yo attain heaven.christ said no 1 can get to the father accept through him so u can pay d whole tithe in the world but if you do not believe in the sonship of jesus.hell awaits such a person.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by segyemaro(m): 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
Decryptor: Ok...i think it's high time i clear the air on this issue of tithing.
#Decrypting...
Paying your tithe is not wrong. To me, it's like sowing a seed in other to reap a harvest. But it all depends on whether you are sowing on a fertile or infertile ground. A true MOG who has been geniunely called by God is a fertile ground. But when you give your tithe to a "self-acclamed" pastor who just wants to enrichen himself, then don't expect any positive result cos it's like sowing on a rocky pavement!
#Decrypted.
so how do we know the genuine MOG?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by texazzpete(m): 12:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
samizy1000: AMANYI Are u a christain undecidedAMANYI Are u a christain coz if of are u will know that titing is your obeligation to GOD.

He's a Christian. He just knows how to read his bible (unlike yourself) and unlike you he isn't a pastor worshipper.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by texazzpete(m): 12:18pm On Aug 13, 2012
xyztus: tithing is very important as stress'd in the bible,bt because you should pay tithe does not mean you must give it to every church in every street corner,and pls if i may add its not a guarantee for you yo attain heaven.christ said no 1 can get to the father accept through him so u can pay d whole tithe in the world but if you do not believe in the sonship of jesus.hell awaits such a person.

SHOW ME WHERE TITHING IS STRESSED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT!!!
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 2:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
lordmanuel: Guys what does Matthew 23:23 implies.

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and
anise and cummin,and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment,
mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done,and not to leave the other undone(TITHE)."
What is this tithe that they were talking about there?
Firstly it is important to define it so we can say whether it is the same thing as now.
This two links might help us understand whether Tithe in JUDAISM is the same as in Christianity.

http://www.choicesforliving.com/spirit/part4/tithing.htm

http://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi006.htm

My argument is that they are not.
The Jews practised Theocracy and TITHES WERE not just an offering but a tax paid to people who were a part of the GOVERNMENT.It was the LAW but more importantly it applied to "THE FRUIT OF THE LAND" = Agricultural produce ONLY. People were discouraged from paying cash and exception made for people who lived far away from the temple. Those who did not work the land were NOT required to pay. So is this the same as Christian TITHE and where is the scriptural backing for "TITHE in Christianity"
Now the new testament says Christians are no longer under the Law so why is it this one law that the church is so keen to keeP

Since Jesus was talking to Pharisees who were Jews it iuseful to google
Tithing in Judaism as follows
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tithing+in+judaism&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

One important point is this
Why do JEWISH Rabbis Today not collect TITHE??
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by illicit(m): 2:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
samizy1000: illicit u must be a jehovah witness
whys that? although i respect some of their reasoning(not all) am not one am not even a christain, am agnostic.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by obazuwa: 2:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
aribisala0:
What is this tithe that they were talking about there?
Firstly it is important to define it so we can say whether it is the same thing as now.
This two links might help us understand whether Tithe in JUDAISM is the same as in Christianity.

http://www.choicesforliving.com/spirit/part4/tithing.htm

http://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi006.htm

My argument is that they are not.
The Jews practised Theocracy and TITHES WERE not just an offering but a tax paid to people who were a part of the GOVERNMENT.It was the LAW but more importantly it applied to "THE FRUIT OF THE LAND" = Agricultural produce ONLY. People were discouraged from paying cash and exception made for people who lived far away from the temple. Those who did not work the land were NOT required to pay. So is this the same as Christian TITHE and where is the scriptural backing for "TITHE in Christianity"
Now the new testament says Christians are no longer under the Law so why is it this one law that the church is so keen to keeP
you are realy preaching,pls preach on
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Goodfield(m): 4:11pm On Aug 13, 2012
Unfortunately for christians there are eight things that qualify someone for Heaven but only tithe enjoys hammering among them. The best thing is to know GOD personally and befriend your bible,let the pastors leave their works undone,you should be a practical christian and be concerned on how to make Heaven(1 follow peace with all men 2 integrity 3 clean hands 4 pure heart 5 holiness 6 humility 7 tithe 8 hatred for vanities)
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by KiKatanga: 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Goodfield: Unfortunately for christians there are eight things that qualify someone for Heaven but only tithe enjoys hammering among them. The best thing is to know GOD personally and befriend your bible,let the pastors leave their works undone,you should be a practical christian and be concerned on how to make Heaven(1 follow peace with all men 2 integrity 3 clean hands 4 pure heart 5 holiness 6 humility 7 tithe 8 hatred for vanities)

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's" Mark 12:17

If you render unto a thief for his vanities that which is God's, what then?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Yornandrew: 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
We must obey all that is written in the word of God
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by emmykul1809: 6:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
Omoaka11: Of course its ok 2 pay tithe cos its a way of showing God u appreciate d gud tins he haz been doin in ur lyf.imho
D only way 2 appreciate God's kindness in ur life is by thanking n praising him. He does nt need ur money.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by studM(m): 8:03pm On Aug 13, 2012
tunnytox:

Abraham paid tithe? To whom? To God or human?

he paid tithe to melchizadec,read ur bible,k
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
He paid tithe to him only Once. This was from the spoils of war and not Personal property.
Let us NOT distort facts. This guy was not HIS priest. Abraham was a prophet of Jehovah who spoke directly to him.

How can we argue for tithing but Ignore CIRCUMCISION
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2012
studM:

I know you'll fall into my bait, now who the hell is your Melchizedek and what concerns me with him?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 8:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by aribisala0(m): 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2012
http://www.cultwatch.com/tithing.html

This link covers the issue in plenty of detail
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 9:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
aribisala0: He paid tithe to him only Once. This was from the spoils of war and not Personal property.
Let us NOT distort facts. This guy was not HIS priest. Abraham was a prophet of Jehovah who spoke directly to him.

How can we argue for tithing but Ignore CIRCUMCISION

Exactly! I don't have any spoils of war to give anyone, no wonder there are so many churches in Nigeria today every 'pastor' want to collect tithes grin grin Only the guilible and ignorant will be coarse to pay such tithes.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by cesil92: 1:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
Stop stirring unnecessary troubles. Get it right.

Your TITHE does not guarantee your SALVATION {Going to HEAVEN]...It is only HOLINESS/RIGHTEOUSNESS that does. You MUST accept JESUS CHRIST as you personal LORD and SAVIOUR and BELIEVE in HIM, That is the only GUARANTEED way to HEAVEN
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Jamisco: 11:09am On Aug 17, 2012
Goodfield: Unfortunately for christians there are eight things that qualify someone for Heaven but only tithe enjoys hammering among them. The best thing is to know GOD personally and befriend your bible,let the pastors leave their works undone,you should be a practical christian and be concerned on how to make Heaven(1 follow peace with all men 2 integrity 3 clean hands 4 pure heart 5 holiness 6 humility 7 tithe 8 hatred for vanities)

I think you did not get it right. there is only one thing that can take you to heaven as Christian, which is the GRACE OF GOD. It is by His Grace through faith, therefore no one should boast.

tithing is good but is not compulsory as in the old testament. the new testament only talks of cheerful giver. 2Corinthians 9:7 read "so let each one give as he purposes in his hearth, no grudgingly or of necessity for God loves a cheerful giver" read also 1cor.116: 1-2, 2cor.8:1-15 and Gal. 6:6-8 etc

remember we are no more under the law but grace. the tithe was a law and compulsory levy on the Jews as well as circumcision. in this regard if you pay tithe is good especially when you decided to do so but not compulsory, just be a cheerful giver, thank you.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Jamisco: 11:13am On Aug 17, 2012
studM:

Melchizedek was described in the Bible as the High Priest of which we as Christians are priests. this means that Melchizedek in the Bible was the symbol of Christ who is our High Priest.

SO, HE PAID TITHE TO GOD NOT MAN PLEASE.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by obazuwa: 1:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
hmm dis people sef
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Duroe: 2:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
I personally have some questions about tithing as been demanded/preached by most preachers today. While it is a good thing to 'give' as Jesus commanded, there was no established percentage of how much of our income to give especially when it concern the gentile christians.
The Jews have a reason for tithing as commanded by God- the 12 tribes were to pay 10percents to God (to be inherited by the Levites who had no share of the land given the whole nation). This is reasonable as the Levites were to be the priests doing service in the religious centres according to the law.
Abraham paid tithe of the loot of war to Melchizedec- the priest of the most high; but there was no record of when and to who he paid tithes of his regular profits from his occupation. Jacob paid tithes voluntarily as a vow ('when I returned from my journey I will give a tenth to thee') but this was 14years after he made the vow. There was no record of his tithing while in Laban's house. How will the church meet it's financial needs? The members of the new testament church gave voluntarily to God ranging from small percentage to almost 100% without the Apostles preaching a whole day's sermon on it. A believer who appreciate God's giving of his only Son for his redemption will not withold his material resources to take care of God's earthly project. However while tithing is good, there is no binding law on the non-Jewish Christians to pay it in the old and new testaments. A christian believer can give as much as 100% if he so desire but willingly and cheerfully. But remember that if you do not take care of the need of your household you are worse than an infidel and has denied the faith. We should give to God (or the church) not minding what and how it is been spent- God will judge the individuals on the last day. But give by faith and not to please your Pastor and do not use God as a lottery- if I give 1 naira God will give me 1000naira. He is faithful to bless you but give out of love for Him and not necessarily to buy Him over.

3 Likes

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by kenny888: 3:08pm On Aug 17, 2012
they will say pay more than 10 percent and God will suprise you
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by tunnytox(m): 11:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
Duroe: I personally have some questions about tithing as been demanded/preached by most preachers today. While it is a good thing to 'give' as Jesus commanded, there was no established percentage of how much of our income to give especially when it concern the gentile christians.
The Jews have a reason for tithing as commanded by God- the 12 tribes were to pay 10percents to God (to be inherited by the Levites who had no share of the land given the whole nation). This is reasonable as the Levites were to be the priests doing service in the religious centres according to the law.
Abraham paid tithe of the loot of war to Melchizedec- the priest of the most high; but there was no record of when and to who he paid tithes of his regular profits from his occupation. Jacob paid tithes voluntarily as a vow ('when I returned from my journey I will give a tenth to thee') but this was 14years after he made the vow. There was no record of his tithing while in Laban's house. How will the church meet it's financial needs? The members of the new testament church gave voluntarily to God ranging from small percentage to almost 100% without the Apostles preaching a whole day's sermon on it. A believer who appreciate God's giving of his only Son for his redemption will not withold his material resources to take care of God's earthly project. However while tithing is good, there is no binding law on the non-Jewish Christians to pay it in the old and new testaments. A christian believer can give as much as 100% if he so desire but willingly and cheerfully. But remember that if you do not take care of the need of your household you are worse than an infidel and has denied the faith. We should give to God (or the church) not minding what and how it is been spent- God will judge the individuals on the last day. But give by faith and not to please your Pastor and do not use God as a lottery- if I give 1 naira God will give me 1000naira. He is faithful to bless you but give out of love for Him and not necessarily to buy Him over.

You nailed it man!
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by 9icetoo(m): 12:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
tunnytox: Are Xtians under the law?
I have always asked that question and have never got any reasonable answer. If we were, we would be forced to obey all th laws of the old testament which frankly are sometimes bizarre. Eye for an eye and stuffs like that. However, its funny how pastors pick only verses which suit their sermon or intentions from the old testament and pass them off as acceptable and leave out others cos they don't suit their goals. When we understand that the old testament was meant for a particular people in a particular place and peculiar challenges, we would be better for it. paul when he was Saul followed the old testament laws to a tee but was not pleasing God. When he accepted Christ, he was saved. Was saul a sinner for following the old testament laws as it was? Answer that yourself and let your answer lead you. Tithing was for a purpose and to a particular people. Are our pastors descendants of levites? Ask yourself that too. A part of the bible stipulates what should be done with tithes after a certain period. It should be shared. I have never seen any church or pastor sharing anything. Have you?

1 Like

Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by studM(m): 6:31pm On Aug 30, 2012
tunnytox:

I know you'll fall into my bait, now who the hell is your Melchizedek and what concerns me with him?

am sorry i dont have to reply to people of your kind who cant afford to communicate without insult
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by studM(m): 6:37pm On Aug 30, 2012
Jamisco:

Melchizedek was described in the Bible as the High Priest of which we as Christians are priests. this means that Melchizedek in the Bible was the symbol of Christ who is our High Priest.

SO, HE PAID TITHE TO GOD NOT MAN PLEASE.

so,what you re trying to say in essence is that tithes in today's churches are not paid to GOD but man?
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 30, 2012
@OP;
How can you go to a place that does not actually exist.
Re: Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? by ignis: 10:26pm On Sep 02, 2012
Revolva: Well na wetin oyedepo take hammer after all the brainwashed mugus pay pay ooo and till date their problem aint solved- fela don talk am na pastor life dey better pass - na followers dey suffer-
You see there is no heaven or hell bro its just a state if mind- we are already in hell here on earth -nigeria and you can get ur heaven here also hussle hard and make money you will enjoy or travel to yankee or europe and you will see heaven a bit- religion heaven or hell are all lies

you can say that to the birds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Being The Odd One In A Sex-infested Society / {free} Face Divination Online / Man Kneels Down To Welcome Apostle Suleman In Sweden(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.