Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) (52385 Views)

How To Get Jobs In Canada / Student Jobs In Norway! / 38 Highly Demanded Jobs In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Zechy09: 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
A-town:

I think i know the girl you're even talking about sef. One thing you have to understand is that a lot of people will assume that you're bragging when you talk about things like this.
For example, if i talk about what i do and the kind of positions me and my friends hold in our various organizations it will seem like bragging so the best thing is to just note that it is not the same for everyone and live it at that.
Some have jobs, some don't. Some own companies, some dream about companies...,,.,.,,

@ A_town, thanks for your comment. I Played it down a bit so people won't say I am telling lies. In the middle of the so called recession, recruitment agents are calling everyday begging to take up another offer. I think the major issue is that we all come from naija without experience so we find it difficult to sell ourselves. With relevant experience, people can still come here and get jobs very easily in oil and gas sector and visa will be done for them.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Truckpusher(m): 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2012
justwise: [/b]

We have being hearing that for a long time now, a country of 150M people and nobody has being able to tap into that unharnessed potentials? What could be the reason. . . thinking. . .
I GUESS YOU LOVE COUNTING THE SKY SCRAPPERS ABI?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by r231(m): 5:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

I know your type, and how you always want to sound intelligent;
but you're far from it.

I already put you in your in place, now go play hide and seek,
with your mates.

Why do you always assume that everybody is a kid undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2012
Truckpusher: I GUESS YOU LOVE COUNTING THE SKY SCRAPPERS ABI?

Your point is?
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:26pm On Aug 12, 2012
r231:
Why do you always assume that everybody is a kid undecided undecided

Is the kid not an undergraduate?
I'm a regular at the Literature/Writing section,
and I know a kid when I see one.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
Zechy09:

@ A_town, thanks for your comment. I Played it down a bit so people won't say I am telling lies. In the middle of the so called recession, recruitment agents are calling everyday begging to take up another offer. I think the major issue is that we all come from naija without experience so we find it difficult to sell ourselves. With relevant experience, people can still come here and get jobs very easily in oil and gas sector and visa will be done for them.

I'd also like to state that a lot of us (i'm not left out) always use the Oil sector as a yard stick. I've come to realize that it is very different for people working in other sectors. If you're not an Engineer/In the Medical field, your story may be different. When the recession started in early 08, i had a lot of naija(at least 13) friends that lost jobs here in the US. Some of them are still jobless. Some of them are back on their feet. It got to the point that even the relatively safe oil field starting loading people off. A lot of us with the majors even got scared at some point thinking the oil majors would layoff massively too but it ended up being only conocophillips that did some minor "tashere" reshuffling.

At the end of the day, thank GOD for wherever and whatever you are. Some have it bad, some have it good be it Nigeria, USA,Canada, Somalia etc
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by bobokelly(m): 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2012
Thank God for your success, we in Nigeria we also thank God, for the fact that you do not travel abroad does not mean you will not succed in life, keep encouraging yourself.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
A-town:

I'd also like to state that a lot of us (i'm not left out) always use the Oil sector as a yard stick. I've come to realize that it is very different for people working in other sectors. If you're not an Engineer/In the Medical field, your story may be different. When the recession started in early 08, i had a lot of naija(at least 13) friends that lost jobs here in the US. Some of them are still jobless. Some of them are back on their feet. It got to the point that even the relatively safe oil field starting loading people off. A lot of us with the majors even got scared at some point thinking the oil majors would layoff massively too but it ended up being only conocophillips that did some minor "tashere" reshuffling.

At the end of the day, thank GOD for wherever and whatever you are. Some have it bad, some have it good be it Nigeria, USA,Canada, Somalia etc

That is just the truth.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
Zechy09:

Recruitment agents means temp jobs.
You need to keep upgrading yourself,
and look for permanent jobs.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
A-town:

Cosign.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Cuddlemii: 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

I know your type, and how you always want to sound intelligent;
but you're far from it.

I already put you in your in place, now go play hide and seek,
with your mates.

Sound intelligent to whom? you?
Someone who hasn't analyzed anything sensible beyond the walls of a club/bar.
The scope of your knowledge is limited thats y u dance arnd the comfort of a bar like this is some e-brochure for night clubs
why not challenge yourself to discuss a wider scope of the nigerian economy/job market & Uk economy as other sensible members started.

Put me where, on a faceless forum? You must think u have some clout! E-lord!
Rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by MurderX: 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
eezeebone:

Yes there's a possibility you are correct but when people with good grades have tried and tried with no avail, what is your honest advice? Sit and rot away?

I have a friend with first class in Physics... he could not get a decent job in Nigeria... couldn't even get interview with NYSC, Shell, NLNG, Mobil and the likes... frustrated after 4 years, he headed to UK... after his Masters in UK, he got a job in the USA some offshore exploration stuff... now he does 4 weeks in nigeria, and a couple of weeks off the coast of Mexico.

If he had stayed here and listened to people b*tching about how horrible and useless going abroad will be i bet someone like you will be using him to tell stories "I know one guy with first class who doesn't have a good job".

I guess it's time Nigerians open their minds and allow exposure and reasoning take control. Every Nigerian DOES NOT have to live in Nigeria... Everybody does not have to do WHAT YOU CONSIDER REASONABLE... all these Nigerians repping Britain in the Olympics have their folks (who probably cleaned toilets at some point0 to thank for that.

So pleas reason and let everyman get what's his. There is money everywhere... just find yours and do well.

Abroad is not useless especially getting a masters or PHD additional to your first degree but that doesnt mean you stand a better chance of getting a professional job abroad. Your friend with his 1st class in Physics and a UK masters is positioned for a good job especially internationally - since not many good jobs in Nigeria require physics experts. On the other hand there are a number of Nigerian staff in Chevron, Mobil etc that have 28days Nigeria and 28days America schedules so its not over the roof if he does that. I am against the impression that its greener in the UK. I think you will get a good job anywhere when you have the relevant degree and good grades.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by r231(m): 5:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:
:

WHAT undecided undecided

Bro there is temp to perm and also it depends on what you do

I have a lot of friends in IT that prefers temping to permanent
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by jaybee3(m): 5:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
Not again........
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
jay bee: Not again........

grin grin
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by r231(m): 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
jay bee: Not again........

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
Cuddlemii:
Sound intelligent to whom? you?
Someone who hasn't analyzed anything sensible beyond the walls of a club/bar.
The scope of your knowledge is limited thats y u dance arnd the comfort of a bar like this is some e-brochure for night clubs
why not challenge yourself to discuss a wider scope of the nigerian economy/job market & Uk economy as other sensible members started.

Put me where, on a faceless forum? You must think u have some clout! E-lord!
Rubbish!

I don't need to get into a discourse with a
lout like you. Learn a thing, or two about life,
before engaging someone beyond your wavelength.

There's nothing to contribute to the discourse,
other than correct innuendos, half-truths, and outright lies.

Challenge yourself, by engaging your dissertation,
and stop posting in half-baked English.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
Murder_X:

Abroad is not useless especially getting a masters or PHD additional to your first degree but that doesnt mean you stand a better chance of getting a professional job abroad. Your friend with his 1st class in Physics and a UK masters is positioned for a good job especially internationally - since not many good jobs in Nigeria require physics experts. On the other hand there are a number of Nigerian staff in Chevron, Mobil etc that have 28days Nigeria and 28days America schedules so its not over the roof if he does that. I am against the impression that its greener in the UK. I think you will get a good job anywhere when you have the relevant degree and good grades.

Fair enough
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
justwise: People lets stop derailing this thread, enough of unnecessary insults

Okay. Okay. Let us behave.

Despite the fact, we have indirectly ventilated Indian clubs. As we speak, our serious minded folks have started job hunting in that field. This is what I term "Classic unconscious marketing".

Next in line.......

Restaurant business is really booming in the UK and perhaps the western world. And you see the East Asians dominating it.

Why? Because the "civilized world" is dumping their junk food for better diet. Indian and chinese cuisines are rich in fibre, low sugar, low fat, anti-oxidants, anti-biotics and loads of other medicinal benefits. These reduces the risk of obesity, heart diseases, diabetics and other stuff that is frustrating NHS.

Its the next big thing; green economy and organic food.

In effect, our people can learn this and start opening up their own restaurants. Man must wack. We all must not do professional jobs. Besides, what gives money than everyday items ?

Besides, those that do oil Rig jobs; it can be very dangerous, inhaling all that stuff can be detrimental to health; always eat garlic like the indians to flush it all out.

Anyways, good luck with all that.

Awon olodo boys have spoken.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by justwise(m): 5:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

I don't need to get into a discourse with a
lout like you. Learn a thing, or two about life,
before engaging someone beyond your wavelength.

There's nothing to contribute to the discourse,
other than correct innuendos, half-truths, and outright lies.

Challenge yourself, by engaging your dissertation,
and stop posting in half-baked English.

I don't want to keep hiding posts, lets end this war of words.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:44pm On Aug 12, 2012
r231:
WHAT undecided undecided

Bro there is temp to perm and also it depends on what you do

I have a lot of friends in IT that prefers temping to permanent

Why would an intelligent person, want to continue 'temping' everywhere,
when you can build a career, through a permanent job?
It doesn't make sense at all.

And bear in mind that employment agencies do take out of your pay.
Different people, with different ideas. But I'd rather work a
permanent job, get the needed experience, and build my career;
than be on the move all the time, thus, sharing my salary with employment agencies.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Godogwu: 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2012
Zechy09: This thread is as a result of numerous threads on nairaland about nigerians in diaspora suffering so much. I want to create an avenue for nigerians abroad to encourage one another and tell the ones about to come that that it is not that bad. I will start with my story.:

I studied one of the oil and gas MSc courses in UK, graduated and started looking for a job in the UK. I had to start working as a security man (bouncer) in a club here. I also worked in spar as a door man while looking for a job.Some of our mates laughed at us (my friends and I) for doing security jobs and they moved to nigeria. Out of 10 that moved to Nigeria, only one got a good job in shell, the others ended in banks and other one man businesses. Out of 15 that stayed back and did security work, care work and other menial jobs while looking for a professional work, 14 have so far gotten professional jobs. Mind you, it is not easy as the last one got a job in schlumbeger UK last 2 weeks after 16months of job search and security work.
I myself did security work for 9 months and got a professional job in an oil and gas firm( TO GOD BE THE GLORY).

Please encourage others with your success story and tell people in Naija to understand that menial jobs are used to pay bills while searching for professional job. Do not laugh at people doing such jobs as most of the naija people in oil sector here did security or care work.

What you are saying is very true. I have family members who work in the US and UK who are doing pretty well for themselves; live in nice houses and drive pretty good cars. The thing is there are also some who are doing menial jobs who don't have all that luxury. My point is that there are Nigerians who are doing excellently in Nigeria and the ones not privileged enough to do so well, same applies to Nigerians in diaspora. My major problem with some of the diaspora Nigerians is that they feel all Nigerians who reside in the country are suffering and often feel they are better than Nigerians living in Nigeria. They are also very quick to criticize or disregard any progress in Nigeria and believe they have all the answers to the problems in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by ocelot2006(m): 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
An ITV documentary I once watched back then in London actually stated that most Nigerians residents, apart from being the most educated, work in decent private and government institutions like the Canadians and Americans. They equally do not rely on handouts like Somalians, thus they contribute more to the British economy.

That said, I believe everything changed during (and after) the recession of 2007/2008. The jobs dried up, making it extremely difficult for Nigerian graduates residing in UK. Most chose to work menial jobs to pay off the bills till something better comes by, while a few like me opted to return home at the end of our respective postgraduate programs.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by jaybee3(m): 5:49pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

than be on the move all the time, thus, sharing my salary with employment agencies.
Temp => Short/long term Contract
Job flexibility, highly remunerated and easy to acquire diverse skills within a short period of time.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by Claus(m): 5:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Recruitment agencies contact people for both temporary and permanent jobs.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2012
jay bee:
Temp => Short/long term Contract
Job flexibility, highly remunerated and easy to acquire diverse skills within a short period of time.

I know that!
But what do you do when the contract ends,
and you don't get offers?
Then, you're back at home till the next offer comes.

My point is, I'd rather work a job,
with no fixed contract, where I can dictate,
the terms of my contract. And resign honourably,
when I find a better job.

You know like a 'stepping stone' to building,
a solid and sound professional career, and moving on
when I want to.

With that being said; I have no problem whatsoever with temp jobs,
as 'man must survive'; but a temp job is just anything really.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by r231(m): 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

so because the man prefers to temp makes him unintelligent undecided undecided

newsflash for you, the guy has been temping since 2002 going different places even different countries and he has never been out of a job

he takes 6months to a yr contract here and there and he has his own limited company for his taxes so no agency is making any money off him
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by ocelot2006(m): 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2012
Murder_X:

Well said.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by HiiiPower(m): 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2012
Claus:
Recruitment agencies contact people for both temporary and permanent jobs.

Permanent jobs = long term contract.
But they still leech off your pay.
You can't compare that with a graduate job,
nor a job you get directly from the company.

Apples and oranges here, mate..
But I have no problems with temp jobs,
just telling the OP to keep searching,
while doing what he has got now.
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by r231(m): 6:00pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

Permanent jobs = long term contract.
But they still leech off your pay.

You can't compare that with a graduate job,
nor a job you get directly from the company.

Apples and oranges here, mate..
But I have no problems with temp jobs,
just telling the OP to keep searching,
while doing what he has got now.

you are wrong again undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians have good jobs in UK (enough Of Sad Stories) by jaybee3(m): 6:01pm On Aug 12, 2012
HiiiPower:

I know that!
But what do you do when the contract ends,
and you don't get offers?
Then, you're back at home till the next offer comes.

My point is, I'd rather work a job,
with no fixed contract, where I can dictate,
the terms of my contract. And resign honourably,
when I find a better job.

You know like a 'stepping stone' to building,
a solid and sound professional career, and moving on
when I want to.

With that being said; I have no problem whatsoever with temp jobs,
as 'man must survive'; but a temp job is just anything really.
There are some temp jobs and there are some other temp jobs.
If you have the right skills set and experience then it will be somewhat hard for you to be out of a job for a long period of time. I ain't talking about your regular software testers or so called project management guys.
Some Nigerians are known to be lazy hence the reason why they tend to be out of job for eons. If you are ready to evolve along with the constantly changing world of technologies then surely one shouldn't have a problem missing the boat.

I do get your point though about preferring to have job security over short term gain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Refuses To Enter "Driverless" Bus In Netherland (pics/video) / Nigerians In Pretoria, Sunnyside, South Africa Suffering. / Another Military Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.