Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

- Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (46069 Views)

Ten Steps To Better Self-esteem / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? / Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
chic2pimp:

LWKMD....... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Baba n la were ni bobo yii sha grin

Fact! grin grin grin grin
Re: by chic2pimp(m): 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2012
naijababe:

Fact! grin grin grin grin

No mind Saga jare grin
Re: by deols(f): 9:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
That many people fail to keep to our values doesnt mean we dont have them. Somewhere deep in every1 or majority of the people, they exist.

Nigerian values include that you respect your elders, that you dont eye them nor look down on them, stamp your feet while speaking with them, not to raise your voice over theirs.that you respect your parents, hold their views in high esteem and seek to please them always. It also involves being chaste(pregnancy before marriage was at least a thing of shame until very recently and is still it in some places). Neatness and cleanliness as being next to Godliness. To also hold things termed holy in high esteem, keeping to the rules and regulations guiding them.

A lot may have been responsible for the decline in our value system. It doesnt make them non existent nor less valuable.
Re: by SisiKill1: 9:47pm On Aug 14, 2012
Good list Deols and you are right, those things are what we consider Nigerian values. However, if we look deeper, we will see that they should be Human Being values (for lack of a better word).

I don't think there's anyone. . .parent out there instilling the opposite of those things in their kids (westerners included). We Nigerians just tend to be more vocal about it even when it is not being practiced and when our children fail, it is easier to blame an external forces instead of looking inward and assessing where we went wrong.

What is different between us and "the westerners" is that they don't bury their heads in the sand, they tackle the hard stuff which for us. . .is a No No! We don't talk about certain things, like sex, we would much rather pretend our children are chaste and they shall be for the rest of their lives. The mere mention of it sends us into a fit but reality is. . .the world is changing, even we don't talk about it, these kids are still going to find out about it one way or the other. Wouldn't you rather be in control of your child's first foray into dangerous territory?

If I had to say what the Naija value(s) is. . .I'd have to say Denial! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: by Sagamite(m): 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
I don't think there's anyone. . .parent out there instilling the opposite of those things in their kids (westerners included).

Yeah, westerners do.

When parents go and verbally or even physically attack teachers for punishing their child, they are saying do not respect your elders.

When parents are saying they are allowing their teenagers to have s[i]e[/i]x in the home "because they are going to do it anyway and we can't stop them, so why not let them do it at home where it is safer", they are encouraging promiscuity.

They are in moral melt-down (especially in the UK).

While it might be said that our Africa morals are not optimal themselves, at least the major contribution to ours is economic, theirs is based mainly on pure illogical, moronic, liberal, progressive-wannabe, idiotic philosophical choices.

As I always tell people, it is child abuse to raise your kid in the UK.
Re: by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Good list Deols and you are right, those things are what we consider Nigerian values.[size=13pt] However, if we look deeper, we will see that they should be Human Being values (for lack of a better word).

I don't think there's anyone. . .parent out there instilling the opposite of those things in their kids (westerners included). We Nigerians just tend to be more vocal about it even when it is not being practiced and when our children fail, it is easier to blame an external forces instead of looking inward and assessing where we went wrong.
[/size]

What is different between us and "the westerners" is that they don't bury their heads in the sand, they tackle the hard stuff which for us. . .is a No No! We don't talk about certain things, like sex, we would much rather pretend our children are chaste and they shall be for the rest of their lives. The mere mention of it sends us into a fit but reality is. . .the world is changing, even we don't talk about it, these kids are still going to find out about it one way or the other. Wouldn't you rather be in control of your child's first foray into dangerous territory?

If I had to say what the Naija value(s) is. . .I'd have to say Denial! lipsrsealed

TELL THEM!!

Re: by Sagamite(m): 10:28pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Sometimes you make decisions in life based on experiences.

My parents (and all parents of close friends and associates I know) did not talk about sex with me/us, neither was it taught in school bar reproductive system in biology, and I (as well as friends) came out fine.

My parents did give me contraceptives though. It was an oral one. Basically it was "You do shyt, you are dead". It worked like peach for virtually all of us and has worked till this day for me to the very best of my knowledge (I am not aware of any child I have, I may just be ignorant sha). It was an era when parents were parents and not trying some lame "I want to be my child's BFF".

Yes, the world is changing, but not for the better, I need to change with the changing world but I will try and make it for the better.
Re: by SisiKill1: 10:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sagamite:

Yeah, westerners do.

When parents go and verbally or even physically attack teachers for punishing their child, they are saying do not respect your elders.

When parents are saying they are allowing their teenagers to have s[i]e[/i]x in the home "because they are going to do it anyway and we can't stop them, so why not let them do it at home where it is safer", they are encouraging promiscuity.

They are in moral melt-down (especially in the UK).

While it might be said that our Africa morals are not optimal themselves, at least the major contribution to ours is economic, theirs is based mainly on pure illogical, moronic, liberal, progressive-wannabe, idiotic philosophical choices.

As I always tell people, it is child abuse to raise your kid in the UK.

Not long ago, I read an article about an Army officer going to beat up his son's teacher. . .If I remember correctly, the teacher seized the boy's phone. . . it happened in Nigeria.

I'm not a real fan of using anecdotal evidence to prove a point but here goes. . .my nieces attend one of the better schools in Lagos and some time last year they called an emergency PTA meeting because one of the moms actually brought a cane to beat a teacher for punishing her daughter. What made the whole thing crazy was the fact that the school was going to let the teacher go just because the woman is one of the big moneybags in the school (they can always count on her for donations) the other parents made such a big stink about it the injustice of letting the poor teacher go just to please the witch, they decided to move the teacher to their annex school.

I can bet anything that there are more cases like that but they are being swept under the carpet because these teachers don't want to lose their jobs. There's no union to protect them, there aren't labor laws they can use to fight their cases. They have no choice but to take the ill treatment and move on.

As for the sex part, you need to go on twitter to see what these kids are doing. Wasn't it year one students going at each other's throat last year on twitter talking about who has effed who and where? If our kids. . .Nigerian kids are so protected by the Nigerian values our Universities won't be synonymous to whorehouses (or whatever the kids call them these days)

These things are happening, that we don't talk about them as openly as they do in the west does not mean they aren't. It is easier to quote stats in the west because they at least try to keep track of these things but we don't. . .I mean how do you keep track of something you have convinced yourself does not happen? So of course when the western Statistics are compared to the Nigerian no Stats at all. . .well, the conclusion is obvious but does it paint a true picture?

1 Like

Re: by SisiKill1: 10:37pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sagamite:

Sometimes you make decisions in life based on experiences.

My parents (and all parents of close friends and associates I know) did not talk about sex with me/us, neither was it taught in school bar reproductive system in biology, and I (as well as friends) came out fine.

My parents did give me contraceptives though. It was an oral one. Basically it was "You do shyt, you are dead". It worked like peach for virtually all of us and has worked till this day for me to the very best of my knowledge (I am not aware of any child I have, I may just be ignorant sha). It was an era when parents were parents and not trying some lame "I want to be my child's BFF".

Yes, the world is changing, but not for the better, I need to change with the changing world but I will try and make it for the better.

Seriously, we are saying the same thing really, my parents didn't tell me about sex either but then again I didn't have the internet at home, internet on the go, internet on the potty, readily accessible sex books and magazines like they do today.

Times are changing and yeah maybe not for the better but we have adapt to it and if it means sitting our children down to have the sex talk (even though we never had to have it with our parents) then that's what we gotta do.

1 Like

Re: by SisiKill1: 10:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
Kobojunkie:

TELL THEM!!

Lmao! I'm gonna start stealing your smileys. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: by Sagamite(m): 10:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Not long ago, I read an article about an Army officer going to beat up his son's teacher. . .If I remember correctly, the teacher ceased the boy's phone.

I'm not a real fan of using anecdotal evidence to prove a point but here goes. . .my nieces attend one of the better schools in Lagos and some time last year they called an emergency PTA meeting because one of the moms actually brought a cane to beat a teacher for punishing her daughter. What made the whole thing crazy was the fact that the school was going to let the teacher go just because the woman is one of the big moneybags in the school (they can always count on her for donations) the other parents made such a big stink about it the injustice of letting the poor teacher go just to please the witch, they decided to move the teacher to their annex school.

I can bet anything that their are more cases like that but they are being swept under the carpet because these teachers don't want to lose their jobs. There's no union to protect them, there aren't labor laws the can use to fight their cases. They have no choice but to take the ill treatment and move on.

As for the sex part, you need to go on twitter to see what these kids are doing. Wasn't it year one students going at each other's throat last year on twitter talking about who has effed who and where? If our kids. . .Nigerian kids are so protected by the Nigerian values our Universities won't be synonymous to whorehouses (or whatever the kids call them these days)

These things are happening, that we don't talk about them as openly as they do in the west does not mean they aren't. It is easier to quote stats in the west because they at least try to keep track of these things but we don't. . .I mean how do you keep track of something you have convinced yourself does not happen? So of course when the western Statistics are compared to the Nigerian no Stats at all. . .well, the conclusion is obvious but does it paint a true picture?

I don't even need to finish reading this.

What you just gave (I am sure) are examples of our Nigerian, modern, western-wanabee, na-me-love-my-child-pass, oyinbo-copying, funky parents that we are getting nowadays in the metropolis.

The generation that have watched western stuff and want to copy it. The generation that loves boasting proudly their kids can speak English with pepeye fone and Spanish with aguntan fone but cannot speak their mother-tongue despite living and growing up in Nigeria.

That is not representative of the African values I allude to. Those are youthful, niche, funkadelic Nigerian people's values.

As par what kids are up to. That is the result of globalisation and the things parents let them have access to without any monitoring. I do not plan to follow that path as best as I can.

https://www.nairaland.com/939130/when-it-right-child-own/2#10840402

I am not funky at all. I am a realist.
Re: by coogar: 10:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Seriously, we are saying the same thing really, my parents didn't tell me about sex either but then again I didn't have the internet at home, internet on the go, internet on the potty, readily accessible sex books and magazines like they do today.

Times are changing and yeah maybe not for the better but we have adapt to it and if it means sitting our children down to have the sex talk (even though we never had to have it with our parents) then that's what we gotta do.

come on - they must have told you if a boy touched your hand you would get preggers.....
Re: by queensmith: 10:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
chaircover: After yet another few days of heartbreaking threads where our ahhh's and e-hugs are too late for some people, I have decided that we should have a chat about catching this serious problem from the root.

After I lost my dad, I lost all self confidence and I used to be very shy and it wasn't until a change of environment, that the real me suddenly blossomed and things changed. I was only lucky I know and I could have easily ended up lamenting like many women on here.

i will like us a mums and dads to share tips on how we prepare our daughters for the dating game/marriage.

When we had our daughter we made it a point to ensure that she is a very confident girl and can speak her mind. its never too early to start praying some things into your kids life. We have prayed for her from when she was a baby that when the time comes, she will pick the right man, We pray for her husband to be and the kind of marriage that she will have and even the type of inlaws & children that she will have.

Her nickname is princess. We tell her at least once a day that she is very beautiful and clever and we let her express herself. If she doesnt want a particular outfit we dont force it on her. So long as she is dressed decently and for the occasion then thats OK; so leggings under a mini shirt is fine by me and during the school holidays if she wants her hair down rather than in plats again that is fine by me.

She is baby fat cute chubby, but no one is allowed to call her fat, unless the person wants to see her dads red eye. we also try to make her feel important by involving her in descsins, so for example when we go shopping, we will ask her which brand of an item to buy and she picks her own meals of a menu when we eat out. We also try to ensure that we create time to actually listen to her even though My God she can talk ooooooooooo. she and her dad are like 5 and 6 and they have been to hundreds of places together; they play these silly games and I have heard her tell people that she will report them to her dad . . like her dad is her own personal superman LOL.

We praise her as often as we can, even when she makes small improvements, using a lot of positive words such as clever, gorgeous, beautiful, exceptional, great and so on and we never ever use any body part as an abuse even in jest like "see your eyes" or "that your big mouth"

One person I admire on this forun is sagamite. I have actually heard that he is like that in real life....superconfident. His only problem is that he has a caustic tongue to go with it cool cool lipsrsealed Only God knows how many cretins he has met in his life time grin grin

Seriously, More tips will be welcome please. We need to teach our daughters to believe in themselves. They are princesses in their fathers house and they should be queens in their husbands house. Nothing less.

Will be back to open a thread about how we teach our sons to be good partners.

I sure do hope you do all this for your sons, abi what message are you sending? Women are retarded so we must treat them special. well done. Meanwhile there really is no self esteem and self respect when one believes women are 'somehow somehow' you know when they get hormones and all that. . . . . .

I am amused.

1 Like

Re: by SisiKill1: 10:53pm On Aug 14, 2012
coogar:

come on - they must have told you if a boy touched your hand you would get preggers.....

Shut up!!! How did you know!!! cheesy cheesy

It was "If a guy sits close to you, you will get pregnant" for me. Of course they had to change it when I went. . .wait a min but Muktar and Saliu and Yemi and Toks sits close to me all the time (Muktar, Saliu, Yemi and Toks are my cousins, brother and uncle) and I don't have a baby. cheesy

In retrospect, The "Errrrr. . .ehm. . .we mean any guy not related to you" shoulda tipped me off that something wasn't right but what can I say, I was eight and mom was the fountain of knowledge. cheesy
Re: by Sagamite(m): 10:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
The first bunch of kids I knew that were being raised using this youthful, niche, funkadelic parenthood were Queen's College girls.

In my time, they love to speak funky and were posh.

A great institution that used to churn out great alumni back in the days. Those were the old ones raised by proper African parents. Now, I don't even hear of their grads anymore, evident of the waste of the generation I knew, in my opinion.

Ah! Me, I am not funky o. I am your FADA!
Re: by coogar: 11:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Shut up!!! How did you know!!! cheesy cheesy

It was "If a guy sits close to you, you will get pregnant" for me. Of course they had to change it when I went. . .wait a min but Muktar and Saliu and Yemi and Toks sits close to me all the time (Muktar, Saliu, Yemi and Toks are my cousins, brother and uncle) and I don't have a baby. cheesy

In retrospect, The "Errrrr. . .ehm. . .we mean any guy not related to you" shoulda tipped me off that something wasn't right but what can I say, I was eight and mom was the fountain of knowledge. cheesy

you can't blame them - that's their own way of protecting the kids! i doubt such tales would work again though. today's kids now watch animal planet and they see animals do their thingy!

Sagamite: The first bunch of kids I knew that were being raised using this youthful, niche, funkadelic parenthood were Queen's College girls.

A great institution that used to churn out great alumni back in the days. Those were the old ones raised by proper African parents. Now, I don't even hear of their grads anymore, evident of the waste of the generation I knew, in my opinion.

Ah! Me, I am not funky o. I am your FADA!

private schools caught up with queens college and even shot beyond them. i doubt the school produce the same quality like they did in the 80s and 90s! the calibre of chics who would have attended queens college these days now go to corona, chrisland, lekki British school, british international school, etc.
Re: by fstranger9: 11:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
Sagamite: The first bunch of kids I knew that were being raised using this youthful, niche, funkadelic parenthood were Queen's College girls.

If you think QC girls speak funky and posh, then I am afraid you didnt know what being posh is. You must have had a rough background in Sagamu if your idea of posh back then was Queen's college girls.

I wonder how your first few years in London was really like . . . did you think well brought up White girls were angels?

2 Likes

Re: by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith:

I sure do hope you do all this for your sons, abi what message are you sending? Women are retarded so we must treat them special. well done. Meanwhile there really is no self esteem and self respect when one believes women are 'somehow somehow' you know when they get hormones and all that. . . . . .

I am amused.
Re: by kandiikane(m): 5:06am On Aug 15, 2012
chaircover: Thanks Jenny. I knew that this is a topic that is very important to you. I sometimes think that it is my age and that is why I dont understand why all these women are just going with "anything goes" just t have a ring on their finger but you are younger than me and you too dont understand it

My heart bleeds when I read what these women are going through. I sometimes even feel guilty because I am not better wives than them.

How old are you?
Re: by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 15, 2012
Re: by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 15, 2012
chaircover:

Older than jenny grin

Excuse mee?? angry angry angry angry angry grin

kandiikane:

How old are you?
Don't mind CC. The first time I read that line I LMAO. Can you imagine the insult angry an old woman like me that has knacked menopause already cool grin
Re: by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 15, 2012

1 Like

Re: by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 15, 2012
Re: by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 15, 2012
queensmith:

I am amused.

Maybe if we got as much complaints from the men as we get from married insecure women here on NL, there wouldn't have been any need for this thread! undecided undecided
Re: by queensmith: 10:56am On Aug 15, 2012
chaircover:

I guess you didnt read the first and last sentence in the post you quoted 3 times.

And yes I believe that boys and girls are different no matter what we like to say/believe; I never used the word retarded; you did.

Am I amused? Yes I am too. It amuses me when people just have to write something just to be on the opposite side of someone else.

good luck with all that.

1 Like

Re: by jaybee3(m): 11:09am On Aug 15, 2012
No matter what you teach them usually gets thrown outta the window once they start to taste freedom.

How do you stop a teenager from wearing mini skirts that attract the you know what dudes when the current dynamics/trends dictates that's probably what's needed to get accepted in the world?

Kids of today are well informed and the least we can do is to move with time as well as develop new ways to damage control for the if and when they do fall.

The idea of sex education for secondary school kids was started to encourage intimacy between children. It was more of an awareness campaign so they are well informed when making big decisions at early stages of there respective life.
Re: by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 15, 2012
chaircover:

[s]I guess you didnt read the first and last sentence in the post you quoted 3 times. [/s]

[s]And yes I believe that boys and girls are different no matter what we like to say/believe; and I never used the word retarded; you did.

Am I amused? Yes I am too. It amuses me when people just have to write something just to be on the opposite side of someone else. [/s]

You know what . . I just give up.

+100. I agree

2 Likes

Re: by queensmith: 12:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
I'm jussayin, you already believe women are 'somehow somehow' that mentality will be passed down onto your children. No matter how many 'magazine phrases' you ban in the house, or how much you tip toe around her 'fragile' mind (and i know you don't believe the same for your boys'. She's already going to think she is somehow somehow, paranoid reactions to raising girls aren't going to solve it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

Husband Beats Wife For "Buhari Is Working" Comment (Photos) / A Nairalander Retakes photo Of His Mum And Siblings After 24 Years / Onyeka Nnadozie Eze's Two Sets Of Twins And Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.