Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail (9241 Views)

I See APC And CPC Splitting / All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / ACN And CPC Have Failed To Reach An Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by NovusHomo(m): 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
Serious politicians 'NEVER SAY NEVER'.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by kumbalo(m): 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
i never thought CPC would be talking about a merger after Buhari mouth- lashed Tinubu as being greedy and ambitious when the first failed before the last election. Tinubu would definitely want the Lion share that which will not suit CPC's Buhari, Tinubu doesn't make too many mistakes. The merger would not work.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
CPC = BOKO HARAM

Tinubu + OLE
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by brownlord: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Esss:

If you say 13 years of PDP hasnt gotten us anywhere, then you are a fallacious liar and the truth is not in you...

I wait to hear the truth from you then. Regards
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by kutchs: 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
ooseven: Hello 40Laptops, is there any room to make it 41?? I feel you guys make more sense than your opponents.
We are more than 40, just take time and find ur number. Anyway u‘re welcome.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by pcicero(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
I want a party that will allow active youth participation- not as political thugs or chorus-crowds, but as catalysts for our liberation and socio-political emancipation.

I am looking forward to an alliance that will not be ethnic based but broad-based and sound manifestos.

I want fresh ideas that will wrest power from PDP.

It is not enough to condemn these people- PDP, ACN and CPC.Let those eating crumbs from their tables continue doing so.

The Awolowos, Azikwes et.al started the struggle in their youths.

We must fight for it if we truly desire it because freedom is not given. No slave master will desire to set his slaves free without resistance.

The time to start is now.

"the time will....come when the sun will shine only on freemen who know no other master but their reason; when tyrants and slaves, priests and their stupid of hypocritical instruments, will exist only in works of history and on the stage; and when we shall think of them only to pity their victims and their dupes; to maintain ourselves in a state of vigilance by thinking on their excesses; and to learn how to recognize and so to destroy, by force of reason, the first seeds of tyranny and superstition, should they ever dare to reappear amongst us."

-Condorcet
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by ifihearam: 4:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
Aside the facts you listed above,supremacy is a major challenge for them. Who takes leadership of the party?tinubu for sure will not allow anyone have control over him. Selection of presidential candidates is another hectic challenge for them.
In a nutshell the amalgamation is a failure from inception. PDP is indomitable not in the nxt 25years to say the least. Carry on GEJ u nor get shakings
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by proudlyafrican(m): 4:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
The merger would have worked out perfectly if the politicians have the interest of the country at heart,in that circumstances they would be merging on the basis of a collective goal which will be clear and understandable by all but the reverse is the case.They are pursuing their individual interest and so there will always be clash of interest and suspicion.In my opinion the merger is dead before the idea was put to birth. I hope they will prove me wrong as i strongly wish Nigeria can have a strong opposition party that will match PDP on the electoral field and not on the pages on Newspapers.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by CuteTj(m): 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
Esss:

If you say 13 years of PDP hasnt gotten us anywhere, then you are a fallacious liar and the truth is not in you...
then can you tell us with real facts to convince us that PDP has taken us to the promised land or even close to taking us considering the enormous wealth we have and the money that has been spent from 1999 till date. If you don't know, Nigeria (under PDP's leadership) is the 14th most failed state in the world.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by danjohn: 4:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
Idokojimmy: It is no longer news that some opposition Parties are working assiduously to see how they can dislodge PDP from power. Notable figures here include ACN and CPC. Recently, these parties reportedly held a meeting in Ghana, to fine tune the merger talk. But will the alliance work? If you ask me, I'll say their chances are slim. For instance,

1. They are yet to agree on a unified Party name. While some are suggesting ACTION CONGRESS ALLIANCE, some say it should be called CONGRESS FOR PROGRESSIVE ALLIANCE. Both parties want to dominate in the alliance.

2. Who will be the major financier of the party? Will the major contributor allow others to have a say?

3. They took the merger talk to Ghana, knowing quite well that Ghana doesn't support Nigeria. Aburi Accord held in Ghana didn't work, this may not work too.

4. The proposed Candidates to fly their flag are not sellable. Possible figures include ATIKU, BUHARI, BAKARE, ELRUFAI, AND TINUBU.

5. Lastly, the Northerners don't trust TINUBU, remember that he abandoned Ribadu when he needed them most. Can he be trusted now? Also, the Westerners have continuously asked, what is their place in the new order? In your opinion, will this merger/ alliance work?

Here are my rebuttals to your arguments according to how you have listed them above:

1. Picking the party name is not a big issue. It can be Action Congress for Progressive Change (ACPC) or Action Congress Alliance or it can be a completely new name. It is not a big deal.

2. Like any merger, there is a senior partner and a junior partner. We all know that AC will be the major financier of the new party. Based on the result from the governorship and national assembly election of 2011, ACN proved itself to have a stronger grassroots network. However, based on the result from the Presidential election, Buhari also proved that he could get 12 million votes based almost entirely on his name recognition and goodwill in the North. When you analyze these two things, AC is the senior partner. They have more financial resources and they have a grassroots network that elected more governors and legislators. CPC has potential but they need the resources of AC to help Buhari’s popularity trickle down to electoral victories on the local level.

To settle the issue of who has a greater say, the party leadership can have both a Governing Council and a Board of Trustees. In the Governing Council, AC and CPC will have an equal number of members, while in the Boart of Trustees membership will be based on the proportion of sits won in the 2011 national assembly election.

3. Aburi accord did not fail because it was held in Ghana. The agreement signed by Ojukwu and Gowon would have failed even if it was signed in the Vatican.

4. The personalities you mention above are not the only political personalities in ACN and CPC. They can also run a Fashola/Marwa ticket if they wanted to. There are other political personalities in the party. In addition, we shouldn’t forget that in Nigeria people switch parties. The merger can attract popular people like Donald Duke etc.

5. This argument is a bit disjointed. Tinubu persuaded Ribadu to suspend his campaign and support another Northerner, Buhari. Yes ACN left Ribadu out in the cold after the alliance talks failed but it was because Ribadu had no realistic chance of winning. Why spend billions of naira on grassroots mobilization for a lost cause?

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by greaterlove(m): 4:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
Esss: Whats the point?!! Wether they call themselves CCC, ACC or CPN, the first problem that all the opposition have is ethinic divide.. The only Uniting political Party in Nigeria till tomorrow remains the PDP.

i agree with you on this, and if we really tell ourselves the truth PDP is the only party that is not a regional party, despite the corruption and hatred we might have for PDP they are far ahead of CPC and ACN. if the challenges facing them at this point is what to call the party and who to front in 2015, then they are not yet serious. they should be more concerned with coming up with a good manifesto, bringing in other regions, NE, NC, SS and SE, selling their plan on how to move the country forward to nigerians, building a good youth base by going to higher institutions all over the country with their manifesto, raising money , engaging nigerians in discussions, organizing town hall meetings, hear what we want and involve us, have it at the back of their mind that even if they don't win the presidency in 2015 they will have claimed more seats in the house and have more state governors. with this i feel they will put PDP on their toes and make us take them serious.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
lacasa: PDP must go!!

Nigerians are tired of this vampire party

13years of PDP with failure as its trademark

Once ACN/CPC finish their merger, surely the North will go wt CPC & the South West will go fσr ACN =CPC/ACN

The SS/SE/MB are the confused lot, but the SW/North is enough fσr them.

PDP r.i.p grin

CPC/ACN, let's go tђere cool
i added the above MB-MIDDLE BELT so readdress your opinion wit that and you know MB are a deciding factor to in this political equation
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by lorddannie: 4:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva: @OP
Just shut up and let the merger become a reality first before you start running your mouth. You sound like you're afraid of the threat the merger will pose.
i sense a group or groups are about to go into voluntary slavery, game of deceit and back-stabbing. these two dont trust each other going by their anticidents.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Orebukola(m): 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
princenayo: Cos the leadership of the two parties lost credibility and unnecessarily desperate.
.i pray god 2 bless ur unborn generations,unnecessary desperation killing dem afterall tinubu is ruling d western part now.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by danjohn: 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
dedeike: I wouldnt want the alliance to fail. I want it to succeed so that the opposition can be strengthened. It's healthy for our democracy. But unfortunately, the merger of ACN and CPC is of no consequence. The last time I checked, ACN controlled only 6 states while CPC has only one.

So the merger of ACN and CPC is a merger of two weak parties and can only result in a mega weak party. The likes of Buhari, Bakare, Tinubu and El Rufai will only succeed in aggregating their collective weaknesses and greed into the party.

My friend, you need to look at the potential of the merger. Yes, ACN controls 6 states and CPC controls only 1. But in the 2011 Presidential election Buhari won 12 states and over 12 million votes.

If you add the 12 states Buhari won to the 6 states ACN controls, that is 18. ACN has the financial resources and CPC has a political personality who is very popular in 12 states. The task at hand is, how can you make Buhari's popularity in the North trickle down to electoral victories on the local level?
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Orebukola(m): 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
2ru-talk:
ACN and CPC alliance cannot stand. The two parties are regional parties with different selfish ideologies.
short and big sense in ur write up,regional motive wil break dem.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by CuteTj(m): 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
I don't care if this merger fails. We will keep pushing till we push out the real enemies of Nigeria who claim to be the only uniting political party in Nigeria (pure bullshit). If they have truly united us; why is there boko haram, why is fulani and berom at each others throats?
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by pcicero(m): 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
Esss: Whats the point?!! Wether they call themselves CCC, ACC or CPN, the first problem that all the opposition have is ethinic divide.. The only Uniting political Party in Nigeria till tomorrow remains the PDP. From the North to the South. You cant call them an Igbo Party like APGA, cant call them an Yoruba Party like ACN (& AD), Cant call them a Cattlfucking Party like CPC...

Secondly, the PDP might have produced crooked leaders, but the other advantage they have is that they have their house in other.. Who ever runs shiit in the PDP (Obasanjo) has his machine working at optimum efficiency.. Even if the party principals dont like it, they always seem to put party interest above theirs.. If you no gree, they evict you like Atiku.

The Igbos will never vote for a CPC & ACN coalition party.. Dont forget that the ethinicity that both parties represent have betrayed Ndi Igbos in the past especially the Yoruba one.. Ask for the South-South, their allegeance to the PDP is as solid as Rock.. They may elect an ACN governor, but the presidency belongs to the PDP.

All the top gunners in the coalition party are not widely acceptable.. Not BUHARI (The war monger and NYSC killer), El-Rufai (The Boko Haram Sympatiser), Bakare (the two-tongued Political Pastor), Tinubu (the Yoruba criminal)...

The PDP already owns the East and the South-south.. The Middle belt will go to the PDP, The northern votes will be split and majority of the Western votes will also go to PDP.. In the end, PDP wins yet again... Jonathan till 2019... Fresh Breeze Campaign team wins!!!

All those talking about back-stabbing, deceits and betrayals should really go and learn their lessons.

Politics is all about interests. People should remember how the government was formed in the First Republic. How did Balewa become the PM? How did Shagari become the President in 1979?

How did cross-carpeting become a permanent feature in our politics?

We should make attempts to contribute meaningfully to issues at stakes and not resort to revisionism.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by proudlyafrican(m): 4:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
[b][quote author=Esss][font=Bookman old style][color=#006600][size=12pt]Whats the point?!! Wether they call themselves CCC, ACC or CPN, the first problem that all the opposition have is ethinic divide.. The only Uniting political Party in Nigeria till tomorrow remains the PDP. From the North to the South. You cant call them an Igbo Party like APGA, cant call them an Yoruba Party like ACN (& AD), Cant call them a Cattlfucking Party like CPC...

Secondly, the PDP might have produced crooked leaders, but the other advantage they have is that they have their house in other.. Who ever runs shiit in the PDP (Obasanjo) has his machine working at optimum efficiency.. Even if the party principals dont like it, they always seem to put party interest above theirs.. If you no gree, they evict you like Atiku.

The Igbos will never vote for a CPC & ACN coalition party.. Dont forget that the ethinicity that both parties represent have betrayed Ndi Igbos in the past especially the Yoruba one.. Ask for the South-South, their allegeance to the PDP is as solid as Rock.. They may elect an ACN governor, but the presidency belongs to the PDP.

All the top gunners in the coalition party are not widely acceptable.. Not BUHARI (The war monger and NYSC killer), El-Rufai (The Boko Haram Sympatiser), Bakare (the two-tongued Political Pastor), Tinubu (the Yoruba criminal)...

The PDP already owns the East and the South-south.. The Middle belt will go to the PDP, The northern votes will be split and majority of the Western votes will also go to PDP.. In the end, PDP wins yet again... Jonathan till 2019... Fresh Breeze Campaign team wins!!!

Bro. your analysis no doubt points to facts on ground,however,do not quickly forget the fact that Nigerians are more politically conscious today than yesterday and no longer cast their votes on the basis of most of the factors you mentioned in your analysis but on performance as we saw in the Edo State Election.Yes,you may argue that this has to do with the presidency but change as at the last time i checked is the only permanent thing in life.Though,most of your points may limit the chances of the merging party clutching the presidential seat but i am not ruling out a change if ACN & CPC work assiduously taking all this factors into consideration,especially on presenting a credible candidate with an unmatchable pedigree and that is acceptable by the people.I don`t vote on party line nor tribal line and so they can count on my vote if they do their home work properly.I believe one million and one Nigerians are also thinking in the same direction.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by proudlyafrican(m): 4:41pm On Aug 15, 2012
[b][quote author=Esss][font=Bookman old style][color=#006600][size=12pt]Whats the point?!! Wether they call themselves CCC, ACC or CPN, the first problem that all the opposition have is ethinic divide.. The only Uniting political Party in Nigeria till tomorrow remains the PDP. From the North to the South. You cant call them an Igbo Party like APGA, cant call them an Yoruba Party like ACN (& AD), Cant call them a Cattlfucking Party like CPC...

Bro. your analysis no doubt points to facts on ground,however,do not quickly forget the fact that Nigerians are more politically conscious today than yesterday and no longer cast their votes on the basis of most of the factors you mentioned in your analysis but on performance as we saw in the Edo State Election.Yes,you may argue that this has to do with the presidency but change as at the last time i checked is the only permanent thing in life.Though,most of your points may limit the chances of the merging party clutching the presidential seat but i am not ruling out a change if ACN & CPC work assiduously taking all this factors into consideration,especially on presenting a credible candidate with an unmatchable pedigree and that is acceptable by the people.I don`t vote on party line nor tribal line and so they can count on my vote if they do their home work properly.I believe one million and one Nigerians are also thinking in the same direction.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Biodup: 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
Abi oti wok ni. PDP, POWER. Haters GEJ will suprise u all come 2015.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Mekusnwa: 4:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
"The PDP already owns the East and the South-south.. The Middle belt will go to the PDP, The northern votes will be split and majority of the Western votes will also go to PDP.. In the end, PDP wins yet again... Jonathan till 2019... Fresh Breeze Campaign team wins!!! "
You can say that again.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Orebukola(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Dollarman101: PDP has 27 states already with Anambra set for grabs next year. Even if dem like make they go merge with Democrats and Republicans, they no fit produce half presidency. grin
u are my man u have said it all if den like make dey join APGA,dey can't wil presidency in d next 3tespensation take it or leave it.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by CuteTj(m): 4:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
We may not even need an ACN/CPC merger to unseat PDP. Thank God this present PDP administration is not even helping the party's fortunes with its actions and inactions. Nigerians are now aware and conscious of the damage PDP has done to Nigeria and the suffering they have imposed on Nigerians. If you don't know, NOTHING LASTS FOREVER! PDP should start preparing its will, go ahead to purchase a casket and dig 6ft below. Then go home to await its death.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by ibnjarir(m): 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
dedeike: I wouldnt want the alliance to fail. I want it to succeed so that the opposition can be strengthened. It's healthy for our democracy. But unfortunately, the merger of ACN and CPC is of no consequence. The last time I checked, ACN controlled only 6 states while CPC has only one.

So the merger of ACN and CPC is a merger of two weak parties and can only result in a mega weak party. The likes of Buhari, Bakare, Tinubu and El Rufai will only succeed in aggregating their collective weaknesses and greed into the party.
. ACN still the strongest of the opposition
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by airfinance(m): 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
The fact is all the parties have one thing in comon which is desperation for power without putting the interest of the poor masses in heart. Even if they do they,the caliber of those to be presented as mentioned to face the opposition have one way or the other contrributed nagatively to the development,harmonious,peaceful co existence among nigerians.the nation is already on ethnic and division which makes it impossible to work.
However if only they would look for a well sounded youth with no political relation to these people but has willingness to serve the nation having no ethic,religion social and political difference,who doesn't care if yu are a christian muslim atheist or babalawo but as long as the unity would be his priority thereby unifying the nation along various differences.
But these old men in politics would not allow such to happen. They see themselves as to be served forever and power to remain in their domain. Without these in my own opinion,we would still be these perpetual under development.
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by doublej1(m): 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
If ACN and CPC alliance can suceed in making the people believe in democracy they would win convincingly
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by jmaine: 5:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
danjohn:

My friend, you need to look at the potential of the merger. Yes, ACN controls 6 states and CPC controls only 1. But in the 2011 Presidential election Buhari won 12 states and over 12 million votes.

[size=16pt]If you add the 12 states Buhari won to the 6 states ACN controls, that is 18.[/size] ACN has the financial resources and CPC has a political personality who is very popular in 12 states. The task at hand is, how can you make Buhari's popularity in the North trickle down to electoral victories on the local level?

Wrong bruv . .last i checked, GEJ won outstandingly in the strongest ACN state which is Lagos; and he also won in Ogun, Oyo, Edo and Ekiti, all with ACN governors . . .With Osun the only exception to the rule . . .

Our political terrain doesn't equate to 1+1 = 2 . .There are complex undertones that sway the voters wink
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by dedeike: 5:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
ibnjarir: . ACN still the strongest of the opposition
But not strong enough to give PDP a slight headache
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
It doesn't matter if it works or not cause they won't be able to unseat PDP. PDP is the only National Party in Nigeria(forget corruption cause all of the parties are corrupt) ACN and CPC are more of a Region Party thing. So its not gonna work
Re: Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail by bjdon: 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
Even if the merger works, AC-CPC will fail in the Presedential election if anyone other than Fashola is presented as the Presidential candidate. I think Fashola will be able to win votes in the SE/SS added to the SW and NW that should secure victory. If either Tinubu or Osama bin Buhari is the candidate, then GEJ is secured a second term. El Rufai is a joke who would not even win his state, and the less said about the loud mouth pastor the better.

Another point to consider is even if the ACN-CPC merger dose produce the president, will they produce a majority, let alone 2/3rds in the NASS? If they are unable to do that then we could have a situation where nothing much changes as the President would be forced to compromise with the PDP controlled NASS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2 Catholic Churches Attacked In Enugu. / Darius Ishaku: Buhari-Led Government Has Failed Nigerians On Security / Anambra Guber: PDP Adopts Automatic Delegates, To Go Ahead With June 26 Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.