Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? (9644 Views)

See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / Nigerian Anthem Sang Before South-Africa's Anthem in Capetown / Nigerian Anthem Before American Anthem, Guests Tell Obaigbena, Thisday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by cheddarking(m): 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva: For some reason, whenever the Nigerian anthem is being played i just don't feel anything. But whenever the US anthem is being played, it moves me. I get close to tears at times. Mind you i've never been to the US in my life. Why don't i feel anything when the national anthem of Nigeria is being played? Even the South African anthem moves me.

I honestly pity you.
You were born in the wrong generation.
You would have made a fine slave....

Tattooboy: wow! Just like me. If there is one thing i'm not proud of it's gotta be being a Nigerian. I really dont care what anybody thinks.

I pity you too.
You have to live with your 'shame' of being Nigerian FOREVER.

The hard fact remains that both of you are Nigerians for life....Unfortunately for my Beloved Country.
You will NEVER be wanted or truly accepted anywhere else.
You will both DIE hating your skins, your faces,and your very existence...
But before that you must LIVE in the prison of your NIGERIAN bodies...

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by initialspark: 6:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
men this site kills me. The comments r so darn funny. i am always in stitches. grin
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by omenziate(m): 7:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
Mine is the cambodian and vietnamese anthems, almost moves me to tears each time I listen to it on encarta, very euphonic to say the least. grin
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by KiKatanga: 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
The Nigerian anthem is definitely at least as good as the American anthem, and way better than the British one.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by dasparrow: 7:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar:

stop lying...
what about your trip in 2009? when you were found by in a luggage @ jf kennedy airport.
now you are feigning innocence that you have never left nigeria all your life?
may amadioha impregnate you with 4 albino midgets.

@Bolded

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by amebopost(m): 7:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by amebopost(m): 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
Though not our national anthem, this is beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc36_RN6624
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by zsch: 7:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
I like banana. That doesnt make me a baboon? So you cn like the anthem all u want.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by amebopost(m): 7:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
You knew this was coming: Whitney Houston Singing The Star Spangled Banner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by lacasa: 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
Joblessness is a murafucker grin
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by amebopost(m): 7:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
^
I agree. That is why we, including you, are all here.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Nuzo1(m): 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
HNosegbe:

Because America and South Africa are nations in the true sense, while Nigeria isn't.
Ileke-IdI:
Attacking afam4eva is unnecessary lol.
I think it has to do with the beats and lyrics. i.e I like Canadian anthem than USA's anthem.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Yeske2(m): 7:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
Una like to yab persin for Nairaland, that the American anthem moves him doesn't mean he wants to be an American. The Marseillaise(French anthem) with it's militaristic tone and lyrics does it for me but that doesn't mean i had ever contemplated being French. Afam no mind dem joor, na bad belle dey worry them.
Allons! Enfants de la patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé. . . .
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Wallie(m): 8:11pm On Aug 15, 2012
The lyrics were in response to the British Royal Navy's bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1812. It's a testament to America's resilience and defiance in the face of adversity.

The Star-Spangled Banner
O say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Dede1(m): 8:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nigerian national anthem is damn noisy and meaningless.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by cheddarking(m): 8:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
Wallie: The lyric was in response to the British Royal Navy's bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1812. It's a testament to America's resilience and defiance in the face of adversity.

The Star-Spangled Banner

Why do people take so much pride in the land that ENSLAVED your FOREFATHERS?

They sold your grandaddy and his friends the same way Aboki's sell meat at the abbatoir...and you're here praising the 'testament to America's resilience and defiance in the face of adversity.'

I'm not anti-America....But I cannot honestly abide people who rush to Identify with other countries at the expense of their own...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Navalsadiq(m): 8:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
Your countries anthem is what u hav to embrace no matter what.u gat that.though american athem is inspirational bt our is unique and it has a superp tune.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by amebopost(m): 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
cheddarking:

They sold your grandaddy and his friends the same way Aboki's sell meat at the abbatoir...and you're here praising the 'testament to America's resilience and defiance in the face of adversity.'

I'm not anti-America....But I cannot honestly abide people who rush to Identify with other countries at the expense of their own...

Because we do not hold grudges. I cannot blame the current generation for the sins of their fathers!
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by cheddarking(m): 8:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
amebopost:

Because we do not hold grudges. I cannot blame the current generation for the sins of their fathers!

And so you rush to become one of them...and sing a song praising their military might.
The same might that turned your Grandpa into Kunta Kinte.

You salute the flag of a country that was created on your daddy's sweat and where you are expected to be a slave still.

You run away from home to pledge allegiance to a country that would sooner kick you out any chance it gets, a country where even the so-called 'Black president' is HALF-WHITE.

I pity you.

The truth of the matter is: The right to forgive the 'Sins of their fathers' was never even yours to begin with.
Even if you don't forgive....America still shytes in your mouth...now swallow and say "Thank you Obama"

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by veobosi: 8:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva: For some reason, whenever the Nigerian anthem is being played i just don't feel anything. But whenever the US anthem is being played, it moves me. I get close to tears at times. Mind you i've never been to the US in my life. Why don't i feel anything when the national anthem of Nigeria is being played? Even the South African anthem moves me.

Nigerian is very inspirational, you need to read in between the lines. Listen to it again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by MacLovington(m): 9:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
I cry a river anytime I hear Somalia & Afghanistan national anthems. grin.

Afam, instead of you to get emotional when you hear "eyimba eyim" or something closer to home.

Dis ya own no be patriotism, but FOREIGNTRIOTISM

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
MacLovington: I cry a river anytime I hear Somalia & Afghanistan national anthems. grin.

Afam, instead of you to get emational when you hear "eyimba eyim" or something closer to home.

Dis ya own no be patriotism, but FOREIGNTRIOTISM

lol
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Babaofor(m): 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
It is because of people like u dat nigeria is d way it is today

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by amebopost(m): 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
cheddarking:

And so you rush to become one of them...and sing a song praising their military might.
The same might that turned your Grandpa into Kunta Kinte.

You salute the flag of a country that was created on your daddy's sweat and where you are expected to be a slave still.

You run away from home to pledge allegiance to a country that would sooner kick you out any chance it gets, a country where even the so-called 'Black president' is HALF-WHITE.

I pity you.

The truth of the matter is: The right to forgive the 'Sins of their fathers' was never even yours to begin with.
Even if you don't forgive....America still shytes in your mouth...now swallow and say "Thank you Obama"

Thank you for your kind words. grin
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2012

Lol.

Wow....

I am American and dont even stand up when the Star Spangled Banner plays much less get teary eyed.

Joke ting. tongue
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by kingblosky: 10:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
VISA LOTTERY is what u need at the moment. Sorry da
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by manny4life(m): 10:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
cheddarking:

Dude chill, he was ONLY explaining how the song came to meaning. This isn't about the struggles of our grandparents, that's another story altogether, this is about U.S. resilience in time of war with Britain. If you have that mentality, I hope you haven't traveled to U.S. or UK or any other Europe nation to trade ore deal with them, I mean, weren't blacks their slaves? Abeg relax, it isn't that serious. What he had explained is how the song came to be, I did not see where he praised them, please stop adding salt and pepper of your own.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by ektbear: 10:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
I actually think that the naija national anthem is pretty catchy.

"Arise o compatriots" is a nifty way to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avPeagYhbgo

I don't think it is objectively *worse* than the US anthem, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPN-1Yjt0

I dunno, just my opinion.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by ektbear: 10:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
Honestly, if Nigeria had more "swag" as a country, threads like this wouldn't be started
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by manny4life(m): 11:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
ekt_bear: Honestly, if Nigeria had more "swag" as a country, threads like this wouldn't be started

Lol, what you tryna say?

IMO, I've heard Nigeria's Anthem several times, and all it talks about is serve, serve, and more serve, peace and unity. I mean,, if you look at the underlying message, it will make sense (i.e. if you know the history), as opposed to U.S. anthem, the wording are expressed directly.. no guess work.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by crackhouse(m): 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
Just ask ur mother whether ur assumed Papa was really responsible for ur existence or whether it was that American man she use to visit in julius berger yard back in the days.
Re: Nigerian Anthem Vs American Anthem: Am I An American? by cdamsel(f): 11:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
freecocoa: Afam nwanne bone that thing,you be proper okoro man,even if you chop burger\sandwich,form accent join sef from now to next year,e no go change anything,so you better start moving to the Nigerian Anthem,if e no move you,move yourself and whenever the American own wan move you,no gree just siddonn gidigba and you shall not be moved like a tree planted by the river Niger side.cheesy
gurl i need kiss u 4 dat true WORD,which kind bole b dis?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos CJ Frees 153 Kirikiri Inmates / Sanwo-Olu: No Party In Ondo Can Defeat APC, Akeredolu Has Done Well / EndSARS Protests: Ugwuanyi Appeals To Police Officers To Return To Duty Posts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.