Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead (6953 Views)

Nigeria's Communication Minister Is Dead? / The Self-appointment Of Buhari As Petroleum Minister Is Unconstitutional - Epaul / EFCC Swoops On Diezani’s Residence In Abuja As Ex-minister Is Arrested In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by naijawebe(m): 5:22am On Dec 28, 2007
Mr Tayo-D,

The pronunciation is CHILDREN as in CHILD-REN, not the way it is written and pronounced BY YOU the Yoruba way "shildren" and you live in the US just like I do, and we always hear those pronunciations here all the time. Those who has stolen Nigeria's wealth for their personal benefits should all be assassinated just like Bhutto. I am talking about people like babagida, igbinedion, ibori, aneni, useni abacha's son et all. For we Nigerians being cowards and so scared to do what has just happened to Bhutto. Just one person did that, because Bhutto and her family has stolen so much from the country and someone have got to pay for it. Remember, her father and a cross section of her family were also assassinated a while back. We should always have the courage to do this in Nigeria, because not until we start killing these shameless leaders, no leader, I repeat, no leader will ever take us very seriously, not even the soft-spoken Yar-radua. "UNEASY LIES THE HEAD THAT WEARS THE CROWN"

"WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO DO, DO IT NOW. THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY TOMORROWS"

"FREEDOM IS A POWERFUL ANIMAL THAT FIGHTS THE BARRIERS, AND SOMETIMES MAKES PEOPLE WISH FOR HIGHER FENCES"

"THE WORD WERE BETTER WORDLESS, IF THE EAR PERCEIVE IT NOT. SO, SPEAK OUT, THAT ALL MAY HEAR"

"DETRACTION DURING A MAN’S LIFETIME AFFORDS NO TEST OF HIS LIFE’S VALUE NOR OFFERS ANY FORCAST OF HISTORY VERDICT. IT WOULD ALMOST SEEM AS IF THE GLORY OF IMMORTALITY WERE ANTICIPATED IN THE LIFE OF THE GREAT BY DETRACTION AND DENIAL WHILST YET THEY LIVED"
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Vitastraka(m): 5:29am On Dec 28, 2007
Imagine the shock the suicide bomber will receieve when he is denied access to heaven for being a mass murderer.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by wendymanda: 5:34am On Dec 28, 2007
Imagine the shock the suicide bomber will receieve when he is denied access to heaven for being a mass murderer.
Even the bigger shock is that he won't get 70 virgins ashawos.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Nobody: 6:39am On Dec 28, 2007
MP007:

The death of bhutto did not surprised me at all. How in the world do u expect bhutto , a harvard graduate to survive the animosity of the mideast?

She died because of american's foreign policy of "do it our way or the hard way", we are seeing the product of the idea of spreading democracy in the heart of the middle east. you have not seen nothing yet, stay tuned.

let nigeria restrict its relationship with america to business only because I do not see nigeria surviving if we are labelled or if we accept the role of "key-ally" in the war against terror.

let[b] the people in the middle east live their lives and stop telling countries and nations what to do like u own them, protect your own borders and people(air [/b] space and water).I bet u , america will soon increase its global military base from 700 to 1000

Mr MP, we are tired of this untenable excuse. So suicide bombers kill Benazir Bhutto because of American foreign policy? What a way of "protesting"!
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by MP007(m): 6:43am On Dec 28, 2007
davidylan:

Mr MP, we are tired of this untenable excuse. So suicide bombers kill Benazir Bhutto because of American foreign policy? What a way of "protesting"!
exactly, bhutto herself said she was willing to help america fight the war against terror, what other prove do u need
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by debosky(m): 6:50am On Dec 28, 2007
the same war on terror that killed her father and two brothers I suppose?

The war of terror that led to her brother dying in France in '85?

there is no 'prove' needed, you are way out of your depth and will probably blame the death of Fela on the Americans - they made the AIDS virus that killed him! grin grin grin
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by bibiking1(m): 7:00am On Dec 28, 2007
She had it coming, Pervez was fighting a very volatile war against terrorism, yet these milk and butter faced politicians felt they could come kiss the reddest rose in the field and swing their arms in sweet smelling skies?
maybe Sharif should have gotten capped first!
You dont play sentiments with terrorists, no you dont!
the clime is now set for a thrilling finalle to the end of Pakistani terrorism,
Pervez Musharaff is quite capable of handling the situation

R.I.P Bhutto BUT you had it coming,
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 28, 2007
MP007:

exactly, bhutto herself said she was willing to help america fight the war against terror, what other prove do u need

There was no war on terror prior to 9-11, what is the excuse of your islamists?
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by odada(m): 8:06am On Dec 28, 2007
Bloody insurgents angry angry angry they have finally gotten to the Benazir Bhutto I wonder what kind of peace the people of Parkistan will have now?this woman was a major opposition to the Gen.Musharaf's govt.and a strong ally with the west because of her firm believe in democracy!May her gentle soul rest in peace,peace be unto the people of parkistan and the world.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by ndubest(m): 8:11am On Dec 28, 2007
another political dynasty ended
just like the gandhis of india and the kennedys of america

RIP BB
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by bibiking1(m): 8:18am On Dec 28, 2007
I dare say she deserved it,

lilly rosed politicians playing politics like it was their vanity corners,

Nawar Sharif next!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by igbsam(m): 8:31am On Dec 28, 2007
Guys, dis world is becoming something else. Especially dis muslim countries, if bomb no blow, na assassination. Make una tell dem o! b4 dem blow demself off dis earth. Abt bhutto, she saw it coming, she knew she would'nt exceed dis year or next, rather became d sacrificial lamb 4 paki. Make God help us on this planet earth.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by seun001(m): 8:33am On Dec 28, 2007
Benazir Bhutto was the target of threats from virtually all of the militant groups who make Pakistan their home — from al-Qaida to homegrown terrorists to tribal insurgents on the Afghan border.

Her assassination after a rally in the garrison city of Rawalpindi — where the country's military and intelligence services are based — also focused anger and suspicion on the government of President Pervez Musharraf.

The former prime minister blamed al-Qaida, the Taliban and homegrown militants for an Oct. 18 suicide bombing that tore through a procession welcoming her back from exile to lead her opposition party in parliamentary elections. But she accused militant "sympathizers" in Musharraf's administration of backing the attempt on her life. Bhutto's supporters chanted "Killer, Killer, Musharraf!" outside the hospital where she was pronounced dead Thursday.

Musharraf blamed Islamic terrorists, pledging that "we will not rest until we eliminate these terrorists and root them out."

Al-Qaida No. 2 Ayman al-Zawahri decried Bhutto's return in a video message this month and called for attacks on all the candidates in the Jan. 8 elections. And according to Bhutto, several Pakistanis arrested in an assassination attempt during her second term in the mid-1990s said they were following Osama bin Laden's orders.

The U.S.-backed, British-educated leader who pledged to redouble Pakistan's fight against Islamic militancy was also despised by Taliban-style radicals backed by tribes along the border with Afghanistan, where American forces are battling rising militant violence.

Baitullah Mehsud, a tribal warlord in the Waziristan region, was quoted in a Pakistani newspaper as saying that he would welcome Bhutto's return with suicide bombers. He later denied that in statements to local television and newspaper reporters.

Khalid Khwaja, a former Pakistani intelligence officer and self-declared friend of bin Laden, said Bhutto "was very openly threatening these tribal people."

"Naturally some of them could have done it," he said. "She was certainly hated to that degree by those elements who are victims of the American terror."

Bhutto also was labeled an infidel by groups such as Jaish-ul Mohammed, Lashkar-e-Tayyaba and Hezb-ul Mujahedeen, which were spawned by Pakistan's military and intelligence services to take on neighboring India in the disputed Kashmir region.

The groups later aligned themselves with al-Qaida and have vowed to battle foreign troops in Afghanistan, and wage war against the Pakistani military for its support of the U.S.-led anti-terror campaign. Some of their leaders said Bhutto deserved to die for her threats to crush militants.

"I think by far the most likely (suspect) is the al-Qaida organization, which has been trying to kill Bhutto for the better part of the decade," said Bruce Riedel, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and former senior director for South Asia on the National Security Council.

"If it's not them, it's certainly one of the groups that are sympathetic with them," Riedel said. "They all work together and share a common antipathy to Bhutto because she's a woman, an advocate of secularism, a supporter of democracy and everything they stand against."

Retired army Gen. Hamid Gul, a former head of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence secret service agency, questioned the security arrangements made for Bhutto's rally.

A cordon of police surrounded the park where Bhutto spoke, yet her attacker was able to get to the rear gate, where he shot her as she was leaving and then detonated himself, according to witnesses.

"How could they enter with so much of a police cordon. I am surprised," Gul said in an interview with The Associated Press.

A Washington-based friend of Bhutto's, Mark Siegel, told CNN that the former prime minister had been "very concerned that she was not getting the security that she had asked for," including devices used to jam cell phone signals.

"She had asked for special tinted cars, she had asked for four vehicles to surround her at all times," Siegel said. "All of that was denied to her.

Gul asserted that a suicide bomber couldn't have carried out the attack without being forewarned of Bhutto's movements with a cell phone or other device.

Bhutto had complained after the October assassination attempt in the city of Karachi that jamming devices had not been working, Gul said.

"Why were the jammers not working? She had been begging the government after the attack in Karachi saying the jammers were faulty then," he said. "I know that these things could not occur if the jammers are working."

"I think it is convenient to put the blame on al-Qaida. But there are other possibilities and they have to be examined," Gul said, without offering specifics. Gul strongly opposes the U.S.-backed campaign against Islamic militants, and has labeled himself the jihadists' only public supporter.

In an interview with the AP in November, a former district leader of Hezb-ul Mujahedeen said some members of Pakistan's intelligence establishment resented the idea of a woman leading a Muslim nation, as well as Bhutto's denunciation of militant Muslims. Hezb-ul Mujahedeen is believed to be heavily funded by Pakistani intelligence to fight in Indian-controlled Kashmir.

"In the Pakistani (secret) agencies and in the army there are so many people who are not secular, who are fundamentalists and will help a suicide bomber to carry out his job," said the former district leader, Saifullah, who uses just one name.

A former Taliban intelligence official, Mullah Ehsanullah, told The Associated Press this year that there were more than 500 men training as suicide bombers in 50 sites across the region in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

These camps he said, are run by al-Qaida and include Pakistani jihadists and Arab militants.

U.S. officials in Washington said they were trying to determine who might have carried out the attack.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said "the FBI continues to work with our U.S. intelligence community partners reviewing the al-Qaida claims for responsibility for any intelligence value. The validity of those claims are undetermined."

The statement came after a law enforcement official told the AP that a national FBI and Homeland Security bulletin to law enforcement agencies cited Islamist Web sites as saying al-Qaida had claimed responsibility. The official asked to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to speak publicly about it.

Director of National Intelligence spokesman Ross Feinstein said his agency was "in no position right now to confirm who may have been responsible."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071228/ap_on_re_as/bhutto_whodunit
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by debosky(m): 8:34am On Dec 28, 2007
lily rosed?

the lady spent 5 years in solitary confinement during a military regime - she lost her father and brothers to this political battles - how many family/friends have 'tough guy' Pervez lost? If that is lily rosed, puleeze keep the weeds away.

She has had it as rough and even rougher than those in power right now, She braved all odds and though she had her corruption issues, this killing has made her go out in a blaze of glory.

she deserved it? Because she insisted on democracy in her home country and not military cloaked in civillian guise?

I guess its vacuous reasoning like yours that proves the banality and gross disregard for life in Nigeria. Sad indeed
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by MP007(m): 8:59am On Dec 28, 2007
davidylan:

There was no war on terror prior to 9-11, what is the excuse of your islamists?

my islamist? u alright? na me send them?
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by bibiking1(m): 9:25am On Dec 28, 2007
democracy as defined by whom?
all she came back to do was to stir up the hornet's nest and in which case doesnt count as a democratic move!
Musharaff was an ally of the Americans, everyone knew he was always going to drop his military garb, he was'nt so much of a dictator as you would want to believe and his intentions where clear all he wanted was a Pakistan devoid of terrorism! like we all want too.
and at this point soft sells dont win, hardbacks take the day if the country is to return to calm
it sounds very funny that you all debate so passionately about issues you hardly understand.

Bhutto (RIP) for all i care might have wanted to instigate a coup in the country. Her point of entry was suspicious and very questionable! The atmosphere in the country all became violent and intense!
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by almondjoy(f): 9:42am On Dec 28, 2007
bibiking1:

I dare say she deserved it,

lilly rosed politicians playing politics like it was their vanity corners,

Nawar Sharif next!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!  How can you be exiled TWICE in one life time from a God forsaken country and you still carry your two left legs over there to carry out some "power drunk" fantasy when I have a loving husband and 3 beautiful teenage children at home? :oThis woman must have really missed the power play in Pakistan to return there for another shot at "power". Or plain bored with her family or lifestyle as a wife and mother.

May her soul rest in peace--but it does not negate the fact that this woman cheated death in the hand of barbarians on numerous occasions.

Not to talk of the embezzlement scandal around she and her husband's necks!!! Not to say it happened or not--but you never really know with politicians, the holiest of thieves!

This should be a lesson to all.  Make sure the sacrifices you make are commiserate with the "end results".

Once again, how can I have a husband and 3 teenage children, living in "heavenly DUBAI" and decide to go back to that "Pakistani" jungle to get back into that politics that looks like where a bunch of savage beasts are ravaging?  All in the name of power? Not unless my husband's hands have gone cold and my children are driving me absolutely nuts will I put my family before my career.  Having being exiled TWICE from Pakistan--that would cease to be my home.

I REPEAT--NEVER DIE FOR WHAT DOES NOT LOVE YOU--ONLY JESUS IS ENTITLED TO THAT PRIVILEGE.

One good thing is that she knew what she was getting into and never once said she was going to back down.  Now she has made the ultimate sacrifice--she should have died with a smile on her face very proud of herself, having left a grieving husband and 3 children behind!

May her soul rest in perfect peace!  A lesson to all or MOST should I say!

Happy 01/01/2008  Y'all!!!!!!! kiss
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by FBS: 9:49am On Dec 28, 2007
God knows best,
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by vikiviko(m): 9:57am On Dec 28, 2007
Tense Pakistan set to bury Bhutto

Benazir Bhutto said her life was at risk when she attended the rally
The body of the assassinated former Pakistani PM, Benazir Bhutto, has been flown to her home village in Sindh for burial amid fears of further violence.
President Pervez Musharraf appealed for calm after she was killed at a rally in Rawalpindi on Thursday, but deadly riots later erupted in several cities.

At least 11 deaths were reported as her angry supporters took to the streets.

The killing was condemned worldwide, with the UN Security Council describing it as a reprehensible act of terrorism.

US officials called for the parliamentary election scheduled for 8 January to go ahead as planned, but correspondents say the assassination has raised a huge question mark over the poll.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Raimond(m): 10:02am On Dec 28, 2007
Bhutto was one lady i always dreamt of meeting someday.I truely loved and admired her.
If we had more of such women in Nigeria, probably, yes probably, things would be different.Rather we have ladies who are bent on `chopping` yours truely to instant penury.

MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! cry
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by almondjoy(f): 10:07am On Dec 28, 2007
Raimond:

Bhutto was one lady i always dreamt of meeting someday.I truely loved and admired her.

If we had more of such women in Nigeria, probably, yes probably, things would be different.

Rather we have ladies who are bent on `chopping` yours truely to instant penury.

MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! cry

Oh yeah? tongue---Please go and find who killed Bola Ige first before you add more to the list of feasting cannibals. kiss

Nigerian men would have poisoned her before she set foot in Asso Rock! Like Nigeria is any better than Pakistan. At least the Pakistanis exiled the woman twice for less that perfunctory performances. Nigeria is yet to exile IBB or OBJ.

The men in Nigerian politics may not use suicide bombers but may resort to "voodoo" or crude "poisoning techniques'!!!

Are you kidding? cheesy
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Raimond(m): 10:11am On Dec 28, 2007
almondjoy:

Oh yeah? tongue---Please go and find who killed Bola Ige first before you add more to the list of feasting cannibals. kiss

grin grin grin
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by chisco: 10:38am On Dec 28, 2007
What a sad end to an eventful life. She was really a rare breed in a world like ours. May her soul rest in peace!
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by skyliyke(m): 10:52am On Dec 28, 2007
This is what we are saying. The world have to stand up and support the way on terrorism. I felt so bad because not only Bhutto being a woman, she is really working hard to ensure that democracy and freedom is restored in Pakistan. The world should support Bush to ensure that terrorism is eradicated.

May her soul rest in peace
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by sickyria(m): 10:57am On Dec 28, 2007
when I heard of Bhuttos death, it pained me but guys lets pray for peace to rain in the world.cof if its not Pakistan today ,its Afghanistan tommorrow.I wept cos of the little pretty innocent kids she left behind.May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by peteroby(m): 11:19am On Dec 28, 2007
I've been watching the news replays on several channels, her security did not look very tight at all. I know alot of you guys here can spot some serious flaws after you watch the news,Tragic, what can I say. the bomber shot her then blew himself up.Especially considering that was the third "known" go at her. Certainly a bad thing that has the potential to be a crazy bad thing. These people have nukes, obviously they have a severe internal problem with radical islamists. Some reports indicate that the government (if it could be called that) is heavily infiltrated by radicals, whole areas of the country are basically lawless, and the list goes on and on. Some seriously bad indeed.Something amazing about this tragedy is that although the US and people in the industry here have been complaining for years about radical Islam - and their intent and scope - the rest of the world has largely poo-poohed us. Now, after this assassination, even Russia suddenly wants to announce to the world that these nutjobs can pose a threat to the world.I am very suspicious of their so called government and leary of who has control over those nukes. This thing could poteitially spin way out of control and the whole counrty could end up in a civil war. A really big mess now.It is a sad state of affairs,she really seemed as though she had the best of pakistan in her agenda. I am just wondering is it possible that this incident could cause people to come forward with information once kept quiet as to the various radical cells within the country.Benazir Bhutto got all she could ask for but fail to ask for security.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by stoneman91(m): 11:23am On Dec 28, 2007
SAY WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY,,,WE ARE ALL JUST STANDING ASIDE WHILE REACTIONARY FORCES KILL THE "PROPHETS" OF OUR TIME, WHAT IS WRONG IN PURSUING AN AMBITION ALONG LEGITIMATE LINES, EVERYTHING MAKES ME TO QUIVER AND SHAKE
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Soundmind(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2007
May her soul rest in peace
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by viceb: 11:47am On Dec 28, 2007
well she knew her country was a hot spot. i think she has sacrificed herself for the good of her country.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by otokx(m): 12:26pm On Dec 28, 2007
She wasted her self needlessly.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Carlosein(m): 12:31pm On Dec 28, 2007
peteroby:

Benazir Bhutto got all she could ask for but fail to ask for security.

Mr. peteroby, have you been reading this thread at all she has consistently requested for increased security details.
Re: Benazir Bhutto Former Pakistani Prime Minister Is Dead by Iman3(m): 12:33pm On Dec 28, 2007
The woman was a person of enormous of physical courage.It was clear she truly loved her country but she was also deeply flawed allowing her husband,she was complicit herself,to pilfer the country's wealth.

She also miscalculated by backing the Taliban at the beginning,this metamorphosed into a menace for not just Afghanistan but Pakistan and ultimately all "moderate" Muslims and non-Muslims in Pakistan.

The problem with her party,the Pakistan People's Party,is that it is a movement owned by her family.Indeed,she declared herself party leader for life.I think she was driven by a certain electra complex due to her relationship with her father to take up his mantle,no matter the cost to her,and lead Pakistan

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes Apapa Amusement Park For Security Reason / British Politician Chides Nigerian Press For Their Negativity / Kaduna Youths Reacts To Pro-biafra Protesters Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.