Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (20733 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 25, 2012
I had also mistakenly use a liquid detergent that luks like groundnut oil to fry egg.unluckily 4me,the eggs were much,like 10eggs,4me,and my paddy dem.o'boy,it was awful,cos guys broke den,we had to eat d yam alone.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 25, 2012
i also remember d 1st tym i ever used bitterleaf 4 ogbono, my aunt always told us dat when adding d leaf we must not talk, so dat it wont come out bitter. So on that fateful day i went 2 d farm behind d house, got some fresh bitterleaf, sliced it instead of washing it like 3tyms and innocently made sure i did nt utter any word and i added it 2 my ogbono. Lol, when i tasted d soup, i coulded swalow it and i kpt wonderin wat hapend dspite kipin d instructions. I do plenty mistake tire o...
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ellyt(f): 10:10am On Aug 25, 2012
Mistakenly picked bitter leaf and scent leaf for yam porrigde_2 bad.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by treasuremi1(m): 10:20am On Aug 25, 2012
i was about 13years and my mum wasnt at home.dad asked me to cook rice and beans for my siblings.I put the rice in the hot water and later added beans. I gues u know what the mixture would taste like. My dad didnt spare me at all. But my lovin mum encouraged me.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by pgiddy(m): 10:49am On Aug 25, 2012
Wow,it waas my first year @ d uni,I poured my white omo into a used tin of milo,unfortunately for me I poured my salt into anoda used tin of Milo,and placed both @ d balcony.I came back from klass one day and I was damn hungry,I jez struggled and placed rice on d hotplate,and was eagerly waiting for d rice to get done.d rice was almost done,& den I rmbered I had not put salt,stupid me instead of carry d tin containing salt,I carried d one wth Omo,& put 2 spoons into d rice And covered it den waited for lik 5mins for d ricce to b vry okay.oh boi dat hunger don almost wayo my tommy,as I opened d pot to finally taste my eagerly awaited rice,chai,na soapy foam I see ontop my rice,I so much hated my sef dat day.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by donblacky(m): 11:29am On Aug 25, 2012
tchidi: I cooked beans, looked really nice. Just as I was about dishing it, I saw my pounded pepper n crayfish in the mortar!!! embarassed

Chio. Lolz
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Slasha1(f): 11:35am On Aug 25, 2012
My elder bro was askd to cuk beans cos mum trvld,he cukd a pot of saltless beans 4 us all.... We complnd n he gav a silly explanatn dat he added salt bt it evaporatd along wit d steam frm d pressur cuka lol... We acptd dat xcept Dad,he askd if dat was d kind Chemistry he was tot in d sch

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Lizzylois(f): 11:43am On Aug 25, 2012
Awww.stil very fresh in my memory because it was a very terrible experience and also earned me a scar on my leg.It all started on this day,I was 12yrs.wanted to write my JSCE,came back from school and was vry hungry.mum was at work,jst me and my sis.couldn't get anytin to eat in the house,and decided to make fried yam.lit the cooker and placed a pot instead of a fryin pan,poured groundnut oil,and left to take a shower .by the time I returned,wit a wrapper on my chest,and d oil was sooo hot and I was scared I was gonna blow up the house,I rushed to the cooker,and used a part of the wrapper I was tyin to put dwn the hot oil,and behold ,it burnt my hand and I dropped it.and sure you can guess what happened after them,I had my leg soaked with hot oil,and I wwoke up in the hospital.its an experience I will never forget soo fast.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:59am On Aug 25, 2012
Shollypopz:
lol, did ur mum beat you??
chukles. My dear, dat day was sumtin else.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Chiopatra: 12:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
I remeber frying my egg with kerosene.also not washing my vegetable,wit it resulting to..... Sahara desert,also I fried fish wit a little quantity of g.oil without boiling it,all I ate was raw fish.wen I cooked moi moi,it resulted to orange akam(pap.)Recently I fried plantain and it was like black poopoo.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by BUSHMAN1: 2:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin shovelling spoons of sugar in egusi soup thinking it was salt
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by EmmaUG: 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
Was cooking beans with my best friend after adding salt I told him dat he should take care of the rest n starting adding ingredient while I go n come bak “didn't tell him a have added salt”he added evrytn with more salt,d salt was so unbearable even after raising d cooked beans with water d salt was stil much n food testless,
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by EmmaUG: 2:55pm On Aug 25, 2012
Chiopatra: I remeber frying my egg with kerosene.also not washing my vegetable,wit it resulting to..... Sahara desert,also I fried fish wit a little quantity of g.oil without boiling it,all I ate was raw fish.wen I cooked moi moi,it resulted to orange akam(pap.)Recently I fried plantain and it was like black poopoo.
bad habit work on ur cooking department n carelessness is order of ur day
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by blaise26abj(m): 3:06pm On Aug 25, 2012
Can't forget the day my brother put rice on fire and we all left to play ball ( all boys in my house) we returned to meet a very black pot and the whole house was having that dry, choking smell even after opening the windows and doors. Our minds started racing as our popsy na school principal and didn't spare the rod. being the "cook" in the family, i rushed to the fridge, picked up some plantain and started frying with the occasional running around the house with the hot frying pan with the plantains. Then cooked another rice. They came back and didn't suspect a thing except of the "plantain smell". Though mum found the pot later grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by OmoAlata(f): 3:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
My mum decided to interfere in this married couples bizness whilst in Nigeria. She lived in England for many years (we were born here) then relocated to Nigeria. She saw this young wife doing all the housework and pulled her husband up over it. She admonished him and said he needed to help his wife with the cooking as men overseas helped their wives grin

Anyway, the man agreed to cook the stew.

The wife came round to our house the next morning and said whilst the husband was frying the meat, he finished all of it and now nothing to cook the stew with grin

Mum never interfered after that grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by megareal: 3:55pm On Aug 25, 2012
Chei! LWKM4H.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by kinguwem: 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
1. I cooked rice and beans in campus. I stated boiling the beans and rice at the same time in the same pot. At the end of the cooking, the rice was very soft while the beans was still hard.
2. I cooked afang soup as a corper. I put a lot of water before adding water leaves. By the time I added the water leaves, the meal turned to a pepper soup.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by mayofab(f): 5:10pm On Aug 25, 2012
I was boiling rice, I got distracted and burnt it, my mum said it was alright, that it happens to everybody sometimes so I put another one on the fire, And it burnt again! By this time I just started crying. Surprisingly, my mum just laughed at me, third time, I stood over the pot of rice for the entire time it took to cook. When my dad got home the whole family decides to laugh at me for my misfortune that day and left me watching pot. The last attempt was perfection grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by OmoAlata(f): 5:30pm On Aug 25, 2012
mayofab: I was boiling rice, I got distracted and burnt it, my mum said it was alright, that it happens to everybody sometimes so I put another one on the fire, And it burnt again! By this time I just started crying. Surprisingly, my mum just laughed at me

You've got a very good mother smiley Look after her wink
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2012
Baking boiled spaghetti embellished in eggs.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by EyesWideOpen(m): 8:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
Lizzylois: Awww.stil very fresh in my memory because it was a very terrible experience and also earned me a scar on my leg.It all started on this day,I was 12yrs.wanted to write my JSCE,came back from school and was vry hungry.mum was at work,jst me and my sis.couldn't get anytin to eat in the house,and decided to make fried yam.lit the cooker and placed a pot instead of a fryin pan,poured groundnut oil,and left to take a shower .by the time I returned,wit a wrapper on my chest,and d oil was sooo hot and I was scared I was gonna blow up the house,I rushed to the cooker,and used a part of the wrapper I was tyin to put dwn the hot oil,and behold ,it burnt my hand and I dropped it.and sure you can guess what happened after them,I had my leg soaked with hot oil,and I wwoke up in the hospital.its an experience I will never forget soo fast.
that was no cooking blunder, it is a horrible kitchen accident!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Gudintent: 9:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
Warming a boiled egg in the microwave

Need I say more shocked embarassed
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
I was 13 years old then. My mom had traveled and my dad asked me to prepare ukwa for him. After adding salt and pepper, I felt the thing had a nasty taste so I added sugar to it (a whole lot of sugar). It was by the grace of God and thanks to my brother that my dad didn't behead me that day. Igbo people know that ukwa is not cheap food at all. I remember when I accidentally added salt to my tea. I don't know how it happened, whether I was drunk sef. Mehn o, I had to even use mouth wash to remove the taste because water was not effective enough.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Madawaki01(m): 10:46pm On Aug 25, 2012
U know i came 4rm an hardcore yoruba family,after all d janu i cam cook amala perfectly,i was given d chance yesterday,so ladies,i don't know it is hard to roll d stick when in hot amala,to shorten a long story,after cooking,do u know what it feels like?my cooked amala was like GLUE on pples hand,can't eat it myself,i wil learn it someday but not in d near future.i don't think i can master it,it is very difficult,respect to u my sisters oooooooo,phewwwww.u ladies are trying ooo.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by docjuli(m): 11:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
ayobase: I have been seeing my mum cooking beans and corn, so I decided to prepare mine one good hot afternoon.(try that food if u have never ...it makes sense die)
Bought the corn, of course we had beans at home.
Washed the corn and put it on fire, about 46mins later, I added the beans....added the necessary ingredients after reasonable minutes.
As per scooping for taste levelz...the corn was still very HARD...after like 90mins?
I had to continue cooking to soften the corn...was still on the matter for close to 4hrs....to cut the long tori short.....I have gone to buy dried corn instead of fresh maize....I had to eat it like that!

LWKMD
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by DIG1: 11:37pm On Aug 25, 2012
Chiopatra: I remeber frying my egg with kerosene.also not washing my vegetable,wit it resulting to..... Sahara desert,also I fried fish wit a little quantity of g.oil without boiling it,all I ate was raw fish.wen I cooked moi moi,it resulted to orange akam(pap.)Recently I fried plantain and it was like black poopoo.
U need τ̅☺ stay away from d kitchen, d place is not meant for u

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Diakpa(m): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2012
Mine was when i was home alone with my dad (my mum and sister travelled) and i had to prepare banga soup. After extracting the oil and boiling it for sometime, i added pepper, onions, salt and maggi. The soup still wasn't tasting like the banga soup i know. I had to add another bulb of onion.... still no taste. I ended up using almost 3 bulbs of onions to cook the food, that my dad called it my own invention of soup - ONIONS SOUP. It was later i discovered that i ought to have added those special banga soup spices. I did perform better the next time though, thanks to my girlfriend who directed me via the phone.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Emary(f): 8:58am On Aug 27, 2012

U need τ̅☺ stay away from d kitchen, d place is not meant for u

grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Flakeey(f): 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2012
Julesbloom: i was cooking white rice n stew, while cooking d stew i added salt to taste but when i checked dere was no taste of salt. so i kept on adding n addin d salt yet dere was no taste of salt rather it was sweet dat was wen i decided to check it n lol n behold it was sugar, i was sumhow dead cox my popsi wil hit me for the mistake, i looked for salt n started adding salt, i also put alot of pepper to take d sugar taste away but no way. i served fud n one spoon inside my fathers mouth, the next thing he said was dz food taste sagarine n he asked who cooked it n my mum said it was me n he tongued lashed, all my family members rejected d fud includin me n we went to bed wit hunger. cnt forget it

LWKMD4Hooooooo
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by pearljiro: 8:01pm On Aug 27, 2012
Looking for that heavenly experience in cakes and confectionaries?look no further we specialize in birthday,anniversary,wedding cakes,cup cakes,small chops for individuals and organizations plus free doorstep delivery in lagos plus get a free cake if you order days ahead of time.so hurry and call us on 08183033930....pearl's kakes...tasty cakes u can't resist.

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Bluemoon1(f): 5:12am On Aug 29, 2012
this one is about 3 months ago. i can make moi-moi but on this particular day, i forgot to buy tomato and red peppers to give it color. My roommate wasn't around and her phone was switched off so didn't want to use her own before problem start. so guess what i used? palm oil o! i poured it into the moimoi mixture feeling cool with myself. made my lovely foil packs. poured the mixture. when it cooked it looked wonderful, but the taste eh? when i took a bite. i abandoned the whole pot o! straight into the trash can.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by DeGenius3(m): 3:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
The day I tried to cook vegetable soup. i put plenty water that made almost all the vegetables float.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

7 Cups Of Garri ₦200 In 2015 (Throwback Photo) / Can Pregnant Woman Drink Zobo Drink????? / 5 Ways To Eat What You Want And Still Be Healthy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.