Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,549 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name (28054 Views)

Why Do Some Men Like To Tempt Married Women? Why??? / 16 Costly Mistakes Married Women Make / The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by akintun: 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
I'm keeping my 'father' name. D key word here is father.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2012
naija women. always ready for a fight. always the least in the pecking order and always feel insecure.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by yokus(f): 1:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a woman keeping her maiden name with her husband's consent ofcourse, as a matter of fact such men should be respected.
Its quite unfortunate that there are still lame thinking men that think of women as properties to be possessed because you paid bride price or not, it is pathetic and does people are very immature and don't know what marriage is.
Some countries practice the husband's taking the wife's name after marriage, there's nothing wrong if the man decides to keep his former name. Please Nigerians think deep and not just at the surface, if your wife bears your surname and is unhappy you have failed as a Man, while if she keeps her maiden name as a middle name and his happy then what the heck is the problem. It is men like the poster that can never be like the husband of the Malawan president, you won't allow your wife be a President for fear of being 1st Gentleman. Hish, men that worry about tiny surface things like this are the real pussies.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by akwunmi(m): 1:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
It is so permitable 4 me coz I don't c any big deal there,besids islam also alow It n am ok wit it too .
Wwot if d grl papa name na big name lik OBAMA,YARAdUa or MANDELA While ur own papa no get mouth,wil u force her? n apat 4rm all dis sef,notin de dare jorr.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by bigdoo: 1:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
I don't see anything bad in a woman keeping her father's name as a middle name after marriage. It is good to know where she is coming from. These days with the help of modern technology it would be relatively easier for old time school mates to find their old time friends. If a woman retains her father's name as a middle name she would be found more easily.

2 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by stpat1(m): 1:43pm On Aug 25, 2012
I'll surely want my fiancee to keep her surname since she's the only child. I see nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Myself2(m): 2:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
That's because their papa is shining their congo,I aint buying any other bulcrap

2 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Kobojunkie: 2:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
brotherlyn: .

While I am against the trend, considering the rising divorce rates in the country, I think I understand why some do it. They may not consciously admit it but I sense it is all about security. grin

@ Kobojunkie- This is rather too harsh. Even if he's not getting it, kindly advise him and not insult.

Do you know what an insult is? He made his statement and I made mine. Why do you pretend it is my place to correct another adult? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Afam4eva(m): 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2012
akwunmi: It is so permitable 4 me coz I don't c any big deal there,besids islam also alow It n am ok wit it too .
Wwot if d grl papa name na big name lik OBAMA,YARAdUa or MANDELA While ur own papa no get mouth,wil u force her? n apat 4rm all dis sef,notin de dare jorr.
Then she should stay in her fathers house or better still marry her father so that she can retain the big name. Absolute Bunkum.

3 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by mylunch: 2:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
coogar:

unless the full bride price hasn't been paid by the husband, there's no reason any woman should attach her father's name after marriage! men who allow such are pussies!
Listen to your self,why should't they?are you her father?did u bring her to life?from no where u show up from d blue,she marries u,so she should eliminate d name she has known all her life,the man that has cared for her all her life,the man that made her existence possible.Do u hv any idea of the sacrifices and pain involved with raising a child?i believe a good man should say to her father inlaw thank u for raising her for me,to show a bit of gratitude,she will keep your name.Am settling for a compound name.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by megareal: 2:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
Keep or not to keep my father's name?
Its only an underachieving man that would be scared of such trivia. Its a man imprisoned by a complex that regards his wife as his property. Name change or lack of it doesn't make or break a marriage. There are scarier things to worry about. Most responses here go to show some men still have a very long way to go.

Im keeping my name. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by mylunch: 2:31pm On Aug 25, 2012
megareal: Keep or not to keep my father's name?
Its only an underachieving man that would be scared of such trivia. Its a man imprisoned by a complex that regards his wife as his property. Name change or lack of it doesn't make or break a marriage. There are scarier things to worry about. Most responses here go to show some men still have a very long way to go.

Im keeping my name. Simple.
Thanks sweetie,tell them.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Kenistry(m): 2:46pm On Aug 25, 2012
Dats number one tin i wont acept frm any lady no mata wht her family is......i cant even imagine my wife answerin such name....simply insolence!

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by simdam500(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
Sincerely, am sure dere is nothin bad in using her fathers name as middle name cos i cant be d only person to make d decision in our marriage, dat y we are 2. So, she also has a say and opinion!!!

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by wonlasewonimi: 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
mylunch: Listen to your self,why should't they?are you her father?did u bring her to life?from no where u show up from d blue,she marries u,so she should eliminate d name she has known all her life,the man that has cared for her all her life,the man that made her existence possible.Do u hv any idea of the sacrifices and pain involved with raising a child?i believe a good man should say to her father inlaw thank u for raising her for me,to show a bit of gratitude,she will keep your name.Am settling for a compound name.

compound name ko street name ni. She should go and marry her father then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Shinatu: 2:53pm On Aug 25, 2012
Like I have mentioned at a time before now, if it is going to be 50/50 and I have to also toil to contribute to the family, I should not only keep my name, the children too should have the two names, mine & his, that would be the only fair thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Delfino: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
tendercharles: I believe the husband should be in full possession of the woman after wedding but she, still having to use her father name creates a notion that she still 'partly' belongs to her father.

Very good topic you raised but you are kinda getting the concept of marriage wrong.
The fact that a woman is married to you doesn't mean you own her -- she is also human and has FREEWILL.
If she so desires and you love her --- then why would you not do what would make your woman happy

However, some do it for just name-dropping sake e.g Iyabo Obasanjo Bello (didn't that make you remember the former president?)

I would have granted my wife the wish if she had so desired.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
@ all, woman is some months older than a man, na trouble. She has a well paid job than the husband is another trouble. She has only girls as children that one is a bigger trouble. Now it is retaining her father's name as a middle name that is the problem. What will the name change add to your life for God's sake. Tomorrow if she turns to an harlot you will tell people that she is her fathers daughter. Why leave the main substance and start chasing shadows. Are your children still bearing her fathers name. @ poster, with this mindset it will be very difficult for you to get married o. A matured mind don't think like this. I wanted my wife to retain hers because she is the 1st of five girls in the family but she opted to do without it.I didn't impose it on her. Learn to be flexible.

7 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by zmoni: 3:25pm On Aug 25, 2012
I thank God that i am so confident in myself and I will pay no attention to my wife if she choose to keep her maiden name. She is not my slave, she had a name before i met her and I am not the one that gave birth to her. she should have the right to keep her parent name. Thank God I am not in the circle of those men that have esteem issues.

6 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Tropilo(m): 3:25pm On Aug 25, 2012
jennykadry:

Why should he? Don't you know that women are now slaves to them men? A woman retains her last name and she is in trouble, she keeps her last name and makes it a middle name before her husbands and her husband is automatically tagged a softie, I mean how dare he allow her keep her last name? He bought her so she must Do as he says, she goes to a diff church from her husbands and boom he wants a divorce. If a woman is successful and has a branded name, what is wrong with including her fathers name to her list of names? KHLOE KARDASHIAN-ODOM? NGOZI OKONJI IWEALA( is OKONJI her fathers name?)

We have the likes of omotola who has been married for years to a very successful man, truth is some men who know what marriage is all about just cannot be bothered, there are tougher struggles ahead that they would rather concentrate on. It's like Genevieve nnaji's future husband whinging to the public that his wife refused to let go of her fathers name. Crazy

Some of these hollywood celebrities still get to keep their names. Oh no, the men paid no bride price that's why

You have just tacitly pointed out that its the men that are nobody(s) that will tolerate such.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iwuala, her dad was a cabinet minister in the days and she would want to keep the name cos her dad was somebody and traine her in Harvard.
Conversely, Stella Obasanjo, did not keep her father's name even though her dad was a very accomplished man as the very first black Chairman/MD of UAC the biggest conglomerate in the 70's/80's. Obasanjo, ofcos was a bigger name. So if a woman marries a man with a "smaller" name than her dad's she will want to keep her maiden identity.
CHECK: Dr. Tokunbo Awolowo-Dosumu, Madam Akerele-Bucknor.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2012

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by megareal: 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
mylunch: Thanks sweetie,tell them.
Your'e welcome dear.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by megareal: 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2012
gzib: @ all, woman is some months older than a man, na trouble. She has a well paid job than the husband is another trouble. She has only girls as children that one is a bigger trouble. Now it is retaining her father's name as a middle name that is the problem. What will the name change add to your life for God's sake. Tomorrow if she turns to an harlot you will tell people that she is her fathers daughter. Why leave the main substance and start chasing shadows. Are your children still bearing her fathers name. @ poster, with this mindset it will be very difficult for you to get married o. A matured mind don't think like this. I wanted my wife to retain hers because she is the 1st of five girls in the family but she opted to do without it.I didn't impose it on her. Learn to be flexible.
Bless your heart. Good thinking.

2 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Theblessed(f): 4:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
[b][size=16pt]Why do you people still have issues with this idea?

And, when will you start weaning yourselves of the mentality that you own and possess women in Marriage, that has been and still is blindingfolding you all, in this 21st Century?

And may I ask, Marriage and our Birthrights which comes first?

The name our parents gave us at birth that goes with other gifts e.g. education/training they gave us and marriage, which is first?

Listen! We are not your possession, property, chattel etc gorit?

We are human beings just as you are and we have rights just as you have ok - so, live with it, and start getting use to it!

It is here to stay - like it or not and there's nothing you or anyone can do about it. If a lady chooses to double-barrel her name - it is her choice and right.

If you won't marry a woman for the sake of choosing to include her maiden name in her married name, tough!

Na your loss and not hers, abi? undecided

Where you fail, others go win - nobi so o!

Or, because you didn't marry her therefore, she will never, ever get married lai, lai and still keep that name thus, gain, gain all the way for her.

So, stop moaning about our Birthrights, ok!

If your lazy a r s e has nothing to do/think of, why not focus on more important things that can place a Nigerian man on the world billboard/history e.g. think of something no one else has invented before,and focus that evil thought going up round your mind in that area and leave us women, alone - lazy, a r s e! angry

There are more important things to worry about than a name, can't you, see that?

We have never stop you answering your father's name and why must you interfere with our rights to do so in marriage, if we wish?

Again, marriage has nothing to do with our Birthrights get it now, and stop asking this silly question and instead, invent something that would lift Nigeria up in the world than sitting down there, thinking what you should do to stop women - evil!

Instead of dominating us - go and dominate the world through your inventions!!!!!!!!!![/size][/b]

3 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
It's a problem?
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by dnawah(m): 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2012
Hey we r in 9ja where there IMM.most couple may do that to use it as "get away".what do u think that will happen to a man that is in-law to the president?wat if u mary and ur husban name is boko haram?i dont think u can travel out of this country.(ur name will be on terror list in USA)
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
I weep at what some ladies are spewing here. We are in trouble. No wonder marriages never last this days. Westernazation has already destroyed our family values.

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
Theblessed: [color=#770077][b][size=16]Why do you people still have issues with this idea?

And, when will you start weaning yourselves of the mentality that you own and possess women in Marriage, that has been and still is blindingfolding you all, in this 21st Century?

And may I ask, Marriage and our Birthrights which comes first?

The name our parents gave us at birth that goes with other gifts e.g. education/training they gave us and marriage, which is first?

Listen! We are not your possession, property, chattel etc gorit?

We are human beings just as you are and we have rights just as you have ok - so, live with it, and start getting use to it!

It is here to stay - like it or not and there's nothing you or anyone can do about it. If a lady chooses to double-barrel her name - it is her choice and right.

If you won't marry a woman for the sake of choosing to include her maiden name in her married name, tough!

Na your loss and not hers, abi? undecided

Where you fail, others go win - nobi so o!

Or, because you didn't marry her therefore, she will never, ever get married lai, lai and still keep that name thus, gain, gain all the way for her.

So, stop moaning about our Birthrights, ok!

If your lazy a r s e has nothing to do/think of, why not focus on more important things that can place a Nigerian man on the world billboard/history e.g. think of something no one else has invented before,and focus that evil thought going up round your mind in that area and leave us women, alone - lazy, a r s e! angry

There are more important things to worry about than a name, can't you, see that?

We have never stop you answering your father's name and why must you interfere with our rights to do so in marriage, if we wish?

Again, marriage has nothing to do with our Birthrights get it now, and stop asking this silly question and instead, invent something that would lift Nigeria up in the world than sitting down there, thinking what you should do to stop women - evil!

Instead of dominating us - go and dominate the world through your inventions!!!!!!!!!![/size][/b]/color]

Complete lack of understanding on who a submissive wife and mother is. It's very sad seeing the extent Feminism has destroyed our thinking and family values.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by dasparrow: 4:56pm On Aug 25, 2012
tendercharles: Its now a normal trend among married ladies, they dont completely replace their father's name with their husband's name. I believe the husband should be in full possession of the woman after wedding but she, still having to use her father name creates a notion that she still 'partly' belongs to her father. I can't allow my wife to retain father's name after our wedding oo. What do you guys think?

What is your problem mister? I am begining to think that most of you Nigerian bred men are a very miserable bunch due to the kind of poverty stricken country you were brought up in and as such you get some form of gratification making the opposite gender miserable as well. For starters, most people and countries don't even focus on middle names as much. They pay more attention to a person's first and last name. So, if a lady is bearing your last name, I don't see what the issue is.

Your mates in other parts of the world are inventing new things and making a positive impact in this global world we live in. Yet, all you can think about as a typical Nigerian chuvinist male is how to turn another sentient human being created lovingly by God in His image and likeness into your property. Charles, where is your conscience and where is the fear of Jehovah God in you? Did God create marraige so that men can take women as their property? Did Adam tell God he needed a 'property' when he asked God for a helper? Do you think God would have granted Adam his request for a helper if Adam was a chuvinist male like you?

Tomorrow now, some Nigerians may insult me in their minds when I keep saying that as long as I live, none of my female children will be allowed to marry a Nigerian bred male. It is due to this very sickening type of mentality that many of you still have even in 2012. There are so many Nigerian women living outside of Nigeria who have alot of offer Nigeria such as their expertise in their chosen fields and what have you. However, this hateful, chuvinist mindset many Nigerian bred males possess is why many of these women refuse to come back home and contribute to their quota to making Nigeria a potentially great nation. These women will rather contribute to their host countries instead.

The sexism, misogyny and chuvinism in Nigeria can drive those of us with an active conscience through the roof. I think you are a very unhappy person Charles and I feel for the unfortunate lady that will agree to be your wife someday. Men like you will suck the life and joy out of her with your backward, chuvinist way of thinking. Charles, do yourself and others who think like you a huge favour: Stay single!

5 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by dasparrow: 5:05pm On Aug 25, 2012
Donxavier:

Complete lack of understanding on who a submissive wife and mother is. It's very sad seeing the extent Feminism has destroyed our thinking and family values.

Dude, stay single! Once a woman chooses to bear your last name, she is already submitting to you. Must you Nigerian bred men be such insensitive chuvinistic a[b]s[/b]s wipes that you make it such a big deal if a woman chooses to use her maiden name for her middle name? Since you want a slave, why don't you marry a DOG? A dog will not object to your chuvinism and heartlessness. You talk about submission but you have not and probably never will learn to love your wife/future wife like Christ loved the church. A man who loves his wife like Christ loved the church would want to see his wife happy. If your wife bearing her maiden name as a middle name will make her happy, why would you object? So, if you marry a woman who is the only child of her parents, you intend to wipe away her family's identity just like that because you are a selfish self centered egoistic pri[b]c[/b]k who was allowed to marry their pride and joy?

2 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by aries26(m): 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2012
My wife will bear my surname and not hers. No argument about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) / Parent Pranks Son With Empty Pack Of Iphone 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.