Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,012 members, 7,838,540 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name (28053 Views)

Why Do Some Men Like To Tempt Married Women? Why??? / 16 Costly Mistakes Married Women Make / The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by losak9111(m): 7:11am On Aug 26, 2012
E.g Iyabo Obasanjo Bello
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by yurLink: 11:56am On Aug 26, 2012
Funny enough, very unlike this Poster, i would love my future wifey to keep her maiden name in addition to mine, just like i would prefare my future daughter to keep her surname too, and it is even encouraged in my religion..I do not own my wife, she is a person with her own identity and personality..
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by anonymous6(f): 12:38pm On Aug 26, 2012
tendercharles: Its now a normal trend among married ladies, they dont completely replace their father's name with their husband's name. I believe the husband should be in full possession of the woman after wedding but she, still having to use her father name creates a notion that she still 'partly' belongs to her father. I can't allow my wife to retain father's name after our wedding oo. What do you guys think?

why should this bother you, as long as they retain your name as last name that is all you should worry about, if a woman has a sentiment for her last name as middle name leave her alone.

Hilliay Roddam Clinton, Jada Pinkette Smith, Omotola Jalade Ekenide all have their maiden names as middle names and they are good women, and happily married with their husbands.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by megawave(m): 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2012
I believe ladies who do this are ladies who are so full of themselves or the greatness or achievement of her family. Its a matter of choice for the MAN, as for me my wife now bears my name, she even said she wants to bear my own first name and surname together as her own surname. that is an indication of total submission. If you can't let go of your father's name then get married to your father.

3 Likes

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by anonymous6(f): 5:14pm On Aug 26, 2012
megawave: I believe ladies who do this are ladies who are so full of themselves or the greatness or achievement of her family. Its a matter of choice for the MAN, as for me my wife now bears my name, she even said she wants to bear my own first name and surname together as her own surname. that is an indication of total submission. If you can't let go of your father's name then get married to your father.

That is not right, I am not against the compound surname thing, even though for me I will take the surname of my husband but to give a ultimatum to marry their father is harsh.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Royou: 6:22pm On Aug 26, 2012
A very wise man God Bless his soul wherever he is, He was a one time Nigeria's ambassador to the holy land (Israel)we had a discussion around this some years back and he asked my opinion, i told him it didn't matter because whatever name she bore and how she spells it didn't matter, hell she doesn't even pronounce my name right (Married for 7 years now!)

His words - My eldest daughter was getting married and we are very close , she told me that she would never drop my name for anything in the world, so i called her into my room and read the passage to her " That a man would leave his father....and CLEAVE TO HIS WIFE..." You know the rest, the long and short of the story is that when you're getting married do it whole heartedly foresaking all others.

Those were his words, his daughter dropped the idea....For me it don't matter because not everyone is supposed to know she is my wife!I know it she knows it and that's all that counts!
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by tobezekiel(f): 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2012
Well being the only child of my parents ill love to retain my father's name after marriage.. an i pray who ever ill get married to will be reasonable an understandin.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by bukatyne(f): 7:52pm On Aug 26, 2012
Donxavier: I weep at what some ladies are spewing here. We are in trouble. No wonder marriages never last this days. Westernazation has already destroyed our family values.
and wat is our family values?
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by bukatyne(f): 8:18pm On Aug 26, 2012
sheyma: Na wa 4 all d men wey dey support dis motion o, men are now becoming women and women r becoming men.very soon men go leave dere surname and bear d woman papa name jst in d name of God knw what. Smh men r nw becoming weak.
and ur definition of a man is someone who is a bully or doesn't respect women or wat? if you want to know who a real man is, study diligently the life of Jesus Christ, u ll learn one or two things from him
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by bukatyne(f): 8:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
sheyma: Na wa 4 all d men wey dey support dis motion o, men are now becoming women and women r becoming men.very soon men go leave dere surname and bear d woman papa name jst in d name of God knw what. Smh men r nw becoming weak.
and ur definition of a man is someone who is a bully or doesn't respect women or wat? if you want to know who a real man is, study diligently the life of Jesus Christ, u ll learn one or two things from him.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Pharoh: 8:56pm On Aug 26, 2012
tobezekiel: Well being the only child of my parents ill love to retain my father's name after marriage.. an i pray who ever ill get married to will be reasonable an understandin.

Still that does not help in the actual purpose you were trying to achieve because you are not targeting the main goal. My mother is the only surviving child of her father who is a king and non of us her children bears her fathers name, so the lineage will still be lost ( even if she bears her fathers name at the moment ) but it would be on record that we were her fathers grand children. Would it not be nice if one of your male children continues the name of your father as you so wish?.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by tobezekiel(f): 10:12pm On Aug 26, 2012
Pharoh:

Still that does not help in the actual purpose you were trying to achieve because you are not targeting the main goal. My mother is the only surviving child of her father who is a king and non of us her children bears her fathers name, so the lineage will still be lost ( even if she bears her fathers name at the moment ) but it would be on record that we were her fathers grand children. Would it not be nice if one of your male children continues the name of your father as you so wish?.
Hw will my childreen bear my father's name? dats nt possible. an its nt like am nt gonna bear his(my husband)name atal...! my fathers name ll be the middle name while my hubby's name my last.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Nobody: 1:19am On Aug 27, 2012
I would probably keep my last name (hyphenated).
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by esummer: 6:55am On Aug 27, 2012
Ibrahim mr fish: It is a very good idia,and i support it.Why most women use their husband's name as their own?I never really understand the reason behinde it. Their father name is much better.

pls someone should meet him in a private room and explain the issue on post to him
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by megareal: 7:08am On Aug 27, 2012
esummer:

pls someone should meet him in a private room and explain the issue on post to him
He understands. He's simply saying there has never been a basis for a woman changing her name after marriage. I think he advocates a woman completely retaining her name after marriage and not taking on her husband's. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by esummer: 7:13am On Aug 27, 2012
pls we are talking of marriage not sale of goods nor co-habitation. don't lose the trend.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by tpia5: 7:13am On Aug 27, 2012
For me it don't matter because not everyone is supposed to know she is my wife!I know it she knows it and that's all that counts!

i like the way you think.

as long as you're referring to your actual wife sha!!! cheesy
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by esummer: 7:18am On Aug 27, 2012
[quote author=megareal]
He understands. He's simply saying there has never been a basis for a woman changing her name after marriage. I think he advocates a woman completely retaining her name after marriage and not taking on her husband's. I stand to be corrected though.[/quote/]

think it makes more sense now. #$p£||¡^g problems#
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Theodora(f): 3:22pm On Aug 27, 2012
dasparrow:

What is your problem mister? I am begining to think that most of you Nigerian bred men are a very miserable bunch due to the kind of poverty stricken country you were brought up in and as such you get some form of gratification making the opposite gender miserable as well. For starters, most people and countries don't even focus on middle names as much. They pay more attention to a person's first and last name. So, if a lady is bearing your last name, I don't see what the issue is.

Your mates in other parts of the world are inventing new things and making a positive impact in this global world we live in. Yet, all you can think about as a typical Nigerian chuvinist male is how to turn another sentient human being created lovingly by God in His image and likeness into your property. Charles, where is your conscience and where is the fear of Jehovah God in you? Did God create marraige so that men can take women as their property? Did Adam tell God he needed a 'property' when he asked God for a helper? Do you think God would have granted Adam his request for a helper if Adam was a chuvinist male like you?

Tomorrow now, some Nigerians may insult me in their minds when I keep saying that as long as I live, none of my female children will be allowed to marry a Nigerian bred male. It is due to this very sickening type of mentality that many of you still have even in 2012. There are so many Nigerian women living outside of Nigeria who have alot of offer Nigeria such as their expertise in their chosen fields and what have you. However, this hateful, chuvinist mindset many Nigerian bred males possess is why many of these women refuse to come back home and contribute to their quota to making Nigeria a potentially great nation. These women will rather contribute to their host countries instead.

The sexism, misogyny and chuvinism in Nigeria can drive those of us with an active conscience through the roof. I think you are a very unhappy person Charles and I feel for the unfortunate lady that will agree to be your wife someday. Men like you will suck the life and joy out of her with your backward, chuvinist way of thinking. Charles, do yourself and others who think like you a huge favour: Stay single!

Well put
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by tpia1: 3:28pm On Aug 27, 2012
am begining to think that most of you Nigerian bred men are a very miserable bunch due to the kind of poverty stricken country you were brought up in and as such you get some form of gratification making the opposite gender miserable as well.

wow, see yab.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by coogar: 3:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
mylunch: Listen to your self,why should't they?are you her father?did u bring her to life?from no where u show up from d blue,she marries u,so she should eliminate d name she has known all her life,the man that has cared for her all her life,the man that made her existence possible.Do u hv any idea of the sacrifices and pain involved with raising a child?i believe a good man should say to her father inlaw thank u for raising her for me,to show a bit of gratitude,she will keep your name.Am settling for a compound name.

why not marry her father then? did her mother keep her maiden name? this is the same bullshyte you sentimental beings ptyalise - she should say to my parents "thank you for raising a responsible son good enough to be the father of my kids"! i reiterate, the men who allow such from their wives are pussies.... if you love your last name so much to such dizzying height then you have 2 options: remain single or marry your father!

1 Like

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by Theodora(f): 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2012
@Poster I think you achieved what you set out to achieve originally. For some funny reasons I think that your choice of the word "POSSESSION" was VERY! VERY!! deliberate. You wanted to start a small "war" and you did.
However, it surprises me that a lot of men and women will let something as trivial as a Name affect their relationship and marriage. Everybody should strive to achieve or attain a state of happiness in their marriage. Issues such as a compound name or non compound name should be discussed between both parties before any talk of marriage arises; just like other issues concerning the number of Kids, who handles what chores e.t.c. If both parties agree on what they want; Good and if not don't bother tying the knot......
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by zayhal(f): 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2012
It's only petty men that'll be so hard on issues like this. If there's love and understanding between a couple, the name thing won't even matter at all, whether the wife keeps her maiden name or not.

The op is very funny, how can marriage to a woman translate to ownership of her? These primitive way of thinking na wa o.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by OILOFGLADNESS: 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
@ All, ESPECIALLY THE POSTER.

I KEPY ON SAYING THAT MARRIAGE ARE FOR MATURE MINDS, IF WE REAY UNDERSTAND WHAT MARRIAGE IS, THAT ITS NOT YOU DOING THE GIRL FAVOUR OR PAYING HER BRIDE PRIZE TO POSSESS HER, YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEM WITH HER COMBINNING HER FATHERS NAME AND URS.
WITHOUT A WOMAN , MAN IS INCOMPLETE, THE MAIN PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE IS FOR BOTH TO COMPLETE EACH OTHER, AN THEREFORE, WHENEVER YOU FIND A WIFE NOT A GIRLFRIEND YPU FIND FAVOUR AND OBTAINS FAVOUR FROM THE LORD.
IF YOUR WIFE CHOSE TO RETAIN HER FATHERS NAME AND YOU LOVE HAR WHY NOT ALLOW HER. ESPECIALLY IF THE NAME HAVE GOOD MEANING.

TAKE FOR INSTANCE, UR SURNAME IS OKAFOR AND HERS IS CHIKA, YOU GOT TO EVEN SUGGEST FOR HER SO THAT THE CHIDI CAN BLEND THAT OKAFOR OF A THING AND MAKE IT MAENINGFULL AND BETTER.
MARRIAGE IS VERY SWEET ONLY IF WE UNDERSTANDS IT, AND MARRY THE ONE WE LOVE.

"LOVE HER AND SHE WILL SUBMIT"

THE LEVEL OF SUBMISSION OF YOUR WIFE IS DEPENDENT ON THE LEVEL OF LOVE YOU ACCORD TO HER. THINK ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by damilola231(f): 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2012
If both partners ar ok with it, den dia's no point raisin an issue over it buh ℓ̊ personally will prefer 2 change 2 ma husband's name buh 4 celebrities who ve bn known with dia father's name b4 dey got married, dia's no problem if dey just add dia husband's name rather dan changin it totally
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by guyman2(m): 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2012
When I first heard the unpopular news of the introduction of the new N5000 denomination, I was greeted with mixed feelings, thus blatantly refusing to lend my voice on the topical debate until the Central Bank justifies its action before the Nigerian populace. So it was much to my chagrin when the CBN Governor highlighted the under listed porous justifications in defense of his controversial policy that has generated a lot of heat. The CBN Governor stated thus:
1. This is not a monetary policy but just currency management. Our cashless policy never says there should not be any cash at all. It only discourages heavy cash in the system. Whether in N5 notes or N5000 notes, the limit of N500,000 will still be N500,000. I
2. It enhances operational efficiencies. The number of times banks load their ATM machines will also reduce. Banks can now load up to 5 times the value in their ATM and reduces rate of stocking and associated costs.
3. The cost of printing and managing currency will also reduce.
4. The talk about inflation is unproven. I have challenged people to bring any study or research that say higher denomination leads to inflation. Nobody has brought any. Look, it is inflation that brings about currency redenomination, not otherwise. In the last 10 years we have been battling double-digit inflation in Nigeria.
Mr. Sanusi, it is obvious as you asserted above that higher currency denomination does not have any effect on the real value of the naira. It is also true that higher currency denomination reduces the cost of cash management in the economy but you did not consider the macroeconomic trade-off that will certainly affect the purchasing power of consumers. On the contrary therefore, the conversion of N5, N10 and N20 to coins, must bring inflationary pressures on the economy.
First, consider the inconveniences of carrying coins around. Consequently, sellers will increase the price of their commodities to be at par with the lowest naira note, which is N50. That means the supposedly cheapest commodity will sell for N50, thereby escalating inflationary pressures on the economy.
This absurd policy would cost the Government a whooping N40 Billion to cover for the cost of designing, printing, circulation amongst others.

It is obvious that Mr. Sanusi is trying to adopt the Keynesian Economic Model (rigidity) in Nigeria as witnessed in the banking industry without taking cognizance of the fact that Lord Keynes Economic Theories succeeded in a corruption-free society. Mr. Sanusi is only interested in the success of his cashless policy and a reduction in the cost of cash handling, without considering the macroeconomic-trade off (opportunity cost)
Furthermore, my over four years experience in Banking has taught me that the introduction of N5000 has no effect on ATM management as claimed by Mr. Sanusi. The amount loaded in an ATM is a function of individual bank policy and insurance and not size of the machine. The polymer notes introduced by his regime has failed to achieve the desired result as it is being destroyed daily due to how susceptible to fading it is when exposed to our climate for long
The Economic realities in Nigeria are peculiar. Nigerians have an extreme disdain for carrying coins and this policy which aims at changing N10, N20, and N50 notes to coins would as well fizzle them out in no distant time.
The challenges we face now go beyond the introduction of a new naira denomination.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by guyman2(m): 7:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
When I first heard the unpopular news of the introduction of the new N5000 denomination, I was greeted with mixed feelings, thus blatantly refusing to lend my voice on the topical debate until the Central Bank justifies its action before the Nigerian populace. So it was much to my chagrin when the CBN Governor highlighted the under listed porous justifications in defense of his controversial policy that has generated a lot of heat. The CBN Governor stated thus:
1. This is not a monetary policy but just currency management. Our cashless policy never says there should not be any cash at all. It only discourages heavy cash in the system. Whether in N5 notes or N5000 notes, the limit of N500,000 will still be N500,000. I
2. It enhances operational efficiencies. The number of times banks load their ATM machines will also reduce. Banks can now load up to 5 times the value in their ATM and reduces rate of stocking and associated costs.
4. The talk about inflation is unproven. I have challenged people to bring any study or research that say higher denomination leads to inflation. Nobody has brought any. Look, it is inflation that brings about currency redenomination, not otherwise. In the last 10 years we have been battling double-digit inflation in Nigeria.
Mr. Sanusi, it is obvious as you asserted above that higher currency denomination does not have any effect on the real value of the naira. It is also true that higher currency denomination reduces the cost of cash management in the economy but you did not consider the macroeconomic trade-off that will certainly affect the purchasing power of consumers. On the contrary therefore, the conversion of N5, N10 and N20 to coins, must bring inflationary pressures on the economy.
First, consider the inconveniences of carrying coins around. Consequently, sellers will increase the price of their commodities to be at par with the lowest naira note, which is N50. That means the supposedly cheapest commodity will sell for N50, thereby escalating inflationary pressures on the economy.
This absurd policy would cost the Government a whooping N40 Billion to cover for the cost of designing, printing, circulation amongst others.

It is obvious that Mr. Sanusi is trying to adopt the Keynesian Economic Model (rigidity) in Nigeria as witnessed in the banking industry without taking cognizance of the fact that Lord Keynes Economic Theories succeeded in a corruption-free society. Mr. Sanusi is only interested in the success of his cashless policy and a reduction in the cost of cash handling, without considering the macroeconomic-trade off (opportunity cost)
Furthermore, my over four years experience in Banking has taught me that the introduction of N5000 has no effect on ATM management as claimed by Mr. Sanusi. The amount loaded in an ATM is a function of individual bank policy and insurance and not size of the machine. The polymer notes introduced by his regime has failed to achieve the desired result as it is being destroyed daily due to how susceptible to fading it is when exposed to our climate for long
The Economic realities in Nigeria are peculiar. Nigerians have an extreme disdain for carrying coins and this policy which aims at changing N10, N20, and N50 notes to coins would as well fizzle them out in no distant time.
The challenges we face now go beyond the introduction of a new naira denomination.
Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by guyman2(m): 7:31pm On Aug 27, 2012

Re: Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name by guyman2(m): 7:37pm On Aug 27, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo) / Parent Pranks Son With Empty Pack Of Iphone 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.