Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,637 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences (23052 Views)

I’m Reaching Out To Those Who Defected To APC – PDP Chairman, Sheriff / Sanusi, Monetary Policy And Economic Development In Nigeria / Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:05am On Aug 25, 2012
centje: Dr.ACM
u finally carried out ur threat. Opened up this topic,i can see u gathered much info jst like u promised. My eyes are drowsy now. Hope to read the post later. cool

Oh yes! The topic deserves to be debated. I hope u will come back to make your contribution. cool
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 7:08am On Aug 25, 2012
Mobil has offices in Eket

Shell has office in Port harcourt and Warri

Chevron still has huge locations in Warri

Agip has in Portharcourt

Most Oil companies have huge facilities in the host community.

So who hired the Igbo man to cry on their behalf
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 7:12am On Aug 25, 2012
ACM10: The onus is on you guys to name those companies that are located in other regions of Nigeria. You made the assertion, not me.

All those companies you named are in the SW and were indigenized by SWesterners. if you want to indigenize companies, Look for those in your side of the country.

If you dont have any in your caves, blame your chi for creating you with bad head

hausas took Unity bank Headquarter to Abuja, Tell Diamond bank and Fidelity to take theirs to Owerri and Ahiazu mbaise

Dont blame Yorubas for your people refusing to go and invest in their own hometown

4 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:14am On Aug 25, 2012
odumchi: Interesting.

So what's the way forward for the Igbo?

Good question! But that should be for another thread. The aim of this thread is to X-ray the policy that was enacted by the Gowon regime under the advice of the then Finance minister, Obafemi Awolowo. What is its impact on the lives of average Nigerians? How did it affect the economic landscape of Nigeria. Your contribution will be valued
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:20am On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu: Mobil has offices in Eket

Shell has office in Port harcourt and Warri

Chevron still has huge locations in Warri

Agip has in Portharcourt

Most Oil companies have huge facilities in the host community.

So who hired the Igbo man to cry on their behalf

The companies you listed have the operational head offices in Lagos and the western region. We are not talking about the scramble for buildings or structures. This is about the takeover of a company and all its assets that are scattered within the confines of Nigeria's territory including its maritime territories.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:30am On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu:

All those companies you named are in the SW and were indigenized by SWesterners. if you want to indigenize companies, Look for those in your side of the country.

If you dont have any in your caves, blame your chi for creating you with bad head

hausas took Unity bank Headquarter to Abuja, Tell Diamond bank and Fidelity to take theirs to Owerri and Ahiazu mbaise

Dont blame Yorubas for your people refusing to go and invest in their own hometown

Don't drift away from the topic. Those companies were British-owned which were located close to the British administrative headquarter. Those corporations were not owned by Nigerians or the Yorubas ab initio.

This must be the exact reason given by the supporters of that policy. When meritocracy is trounced by nepotism, then you should expect the situation we found ourselves now.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:34am On Aug 25, 2012
Ejiné: "one blow seven akpus"?
Who wrote this garbage? An elementary school pupil? Nairalanders need to stop recycling all these poorly written junk littered all over the internet.
As for the topic itself, I can't address it, because whoever wrote the article must either be childish or just plain uneducated.

Attack the issues raised and ignore the delivery.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:39am On Aug 25, 2012
Let's stick with the topic

ACM10: The posts above was culled from Onlytruth's comment.
www.nairaland.com/1023852/answers-common-questions-igbo-people/27#11913499

1. Do you agree with him?

2. Can you give us your own account of INDIGENIZATION POLICY?

3. How does this policy shape/affect Nigeria's economic landscape?

I intends to open a debate on this little known event among today's youth that had far-reaching consequence(s). It is so far-reaching that it continues to resonate up till this day.

I invite intellectuals, historians, economists to debate on this topic without rancor or emotions.

I plead with mudslingers to read and move on.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Afam4eva(m): 7:47am On Aug 25, 2012
You don't expect Igbos to some out of the war and still dominate the economy and the civil service. They forfeited it the moment they went to war considering the fact that most of these companies were located in Lagos and would ordinarily be taken over by Yorubas. Had they been located in the east, it would have been a diferent case.

I think the Igbo have to leave all this and move forward as a nation. We have what it takes to take our place like it was pre civil war.

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 7:51am On Aug 25, 2012
Bro, what's the point in attacking whoever wrote it in this manner? Even if you you don't like him for whatever reason, wouldn't it be better if you write a better one instead of spiting on the writer,please your differences away and give us your better account, thanks.
Ejiné: "one blow seven akpus"?
Who wrote this garbage? An elementary school pupil? Nairalanders need to stop recycling all these poorly written junk littered all over the internet.
As for the topic itself, I can't address it, because whoever wrote the article must either be childish or just plain uneducated.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 8:04am On Aug 25, 2012
So even the 20 pounds policy should never be mentioned at all? That is the reason the Yorubas keep engaging themselves in all sorts of frauds,greed and wickedness hoping truth would forever remain lies and lies remain the truth. The only way out of this is our own republic that is the answer let the Yorubas and their gangs have theirs.
afam4eva: You don't expect Igbos to some out of the war and still dominate the economy and the civil service. They forfeited it the moment they went to war considering the fact that most of these companies were located in Lagos and would ordinarily be taken over by Yorubas. Had they been located in the east, it would have been a diferent case.

I think the Igbo have to leave all this and move forward as a nation. We have what it takes to take our place like it was pre civil war.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Onlytruth(m): 8:09am On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva: You don't expect Igbos to some out of the war and still dominate the economy and the civil service. They forfeited it the moment they went to war considering the fact that most of these companies were located in Lagos and would ordinarily be taken over by Yorubas. Had they been located in the east, it would have been a diferent case.

Afam4eva

Sometimes I wonder why it is always easy for some of you to use the type of glib logic you applied above.
Nna kedudi ife na eme unu bu umu Igbo? undecided cry
You have been nibbling at this thread trying desperately to throw it under the bus as if the OP is a fool for posting it.
Obudi soso unu bi na Lagos? undecided

The article was circulated in an Igbo forum (email forum) and I was not even interested in creating a thread with it, that is why I posted it in that other thread.
Nevertheless, this issue is a DEEPLY painful issue to Ndigbo and it has refused to die, so it would be careless and irresponsible for any Igbo son to poopoo such thread simply because he thinks the wounds have healed.

Echi kitaa unu ebido iti mkpu na ndi ugwu na ndi Yoruba na emegbu Ndigbo, mana unu bu umu Igbo ga ebukwa uzo gozi ha na ife ha melu enweghi ife omelu.
Nna ike gwuru! sad

The same goes to Ejine.

@OP, Nwanne the topic of indigenization is a very relevant part of our history. Onye na amaghi ebe mmiri bidoro maba ya agaghi ama ebe o kwusiri.
I don't have time yet to help research the topic. When I do, I shall come and give my own contribution.

Jisie ike nwanne. cool
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Onlytruth(m): 8:13am On Aug 25, 2012
Noiseless2: Bro, [b]what's the point in attacking whoever wrote it in this manner? Even if you you don't like him for whatever reason, wouldn't it be better if you write a better one instead of spiting on the writer,[/b]please your differences away and give us your better account, thanks.

Dalu nwanne cool
Umu Igbo na akpasu madu iwe oge ufodu. angry
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by joeyfire(m): 8:34am On Aug 25, 2012
In 1972 the government issued an indigenization decree, the first of a number of Nigerian Enterprises Promotion decrees, that barred aliens from investing in specified enterprises and reserved participation in certain trades to Nigerians. At the time, about 70 percent of commercial firms operating in Nigeria were foreign-owned. In 1975 the federal government bought 60 percent of the equity in the marketing operations of the major oil companies in Nigeria, but full nationalization was rejected as a means of furthering its program of indigenization.

Unemployment constituted an increasingly serious problem. Large numbers of farm workers, who had gone to urban areas in search of higher wages, remained in the cities even if they failed to find jobs, while school graduates and dropouts flooded the labor market at a rate of 600,000 a year in the mid-1970s. Unemployment reached its highest levels in the crowded Igbo areas in the east, where the economy still was recovering from the effects of the war. Skilled workers were reluctant to leave the east in search of work, although eventually the shortage of skilled workers in other parts of the country began to have its effect in overcoming Igbo fears. The dangers involved in discharging large numbers of soldiers who had no job prospects made demobilization of the costly military establishment undesirable. Substantial increases in public-sector employment promised to absorb some of the soldiers, but they lacked training. These economic problems assumed an imposing political dimension. To some extent, they reflected a pattern in the world economic situation, but the popular imagination blamed corruption and mismanagement and held the Gowon regime responsible.

The regime also had to deal with a severe drought that struck the northern states between 1972 and 1974. The drought was the most serious since that of 1913-14

Read more at countrystudies.us/nigeria/25.htm
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by BlackBaron: 8:34am On Aug 25, 2012
ACM10:
The onus is on you guys to name those companies that are located in other regions of Nigeria. You made the assertion, not me.
I wouldn't know cos I wasn't born. I expect you to uphold your integrity and be able to back up your claims rather than beat around the bush.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu:

Why did your folks fight so bitterly to have the Igbos back into Nigeria, i.e. if they will not be allowed to own businesses or establish in other parts of Nigeria like Lagos
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by oduasolja: 2:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
From the beginning, it was clear to the British government that the entire indigenisation
scheme was being championed by the group of three economic permanent secretaries –
Allison Ayida (Finance), Phillip Asiodu (Mines and Power) and Ime Ebong (Economic
Development). These “cautious and brilliant administrators” who also authored the Second
National Development Plan, held “strong doctrinaire views” and were “able to force their
policies through the Supreme Military Council whose members are neither brilliant nor able
to assess the practical effects of what is proposed.”

this is culled from page 6 of this indigenization report.

http://www.nai.uu.se/ecas-4/panels/61-80/panel-68/Chibuike-U-Uche-Full-paper.pdf

awolowo was not the architecht of the indigenization decree.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by CyberG: 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2012
Onlytruth:

Afam4eva

Sometimes I wonder why it is always easy for some of you to use the type of glib logic you applied above.
You have been nibbling at this thread trying desperately to throw it under the bus as if the OP is a fool for posting it.

The article was circulated in an Igbo forum (email forum) and I was not even interested in creating a thread with it, that is why I posted it in that other thread.
Nevertheless, this issue is a DEEPLY painful issue to Ndigbo and it has refused to die, so it would be careless and irresponsible for any Igbo son to poopoo such thread simply because he thinks the wounds have healed.

Echi kitaa unu ebido iti mkpu na ndi ugwu na ndi Yoruba na emegbu Ndigbo, mana unu bu umu Igbo ga ebukwa uzo gozi ha na ife ha melu enweghi ife omelu.
Nna ike gwuru! sad

The same goes to Ejine.

@OP, Nwanne the topic of indigenization is a very relevant part of our history. Onye na amaghi ebe mmiri bidoro maba ya agaghi ama ebe o kwusiri.
I don't have time yet to help research the topic. When I do, I shall come and give my own contribution.

Jisie ike nwanne. cool

Goebellianization in progress....onlyLIES must find some useless and shameless tribalistic tactics to goad some ibos into another long throat argument. Not me for sure! What happened to the companies in iboland? Who indigenized them? And again, leave other peoples land and heritage alone and paddle your canoe!
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 2:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
jomonic:

Why did your folks fight so bitterly to have the Igbos back into Nigeria, i.e. if they will not be allowed to own businesses or establish in other parts of Nigeria like Lagos

WHo fought bitterly to have Igbos in Nigeria?

Maybe you can tell us why Igbos and Biafrans attacked the Widwest and South West
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
ACM10:

Don't drift away from the topic. Those companies were British-owned which were located close to the British administrative headquarter. Those corporations were not owned by Nigerians or the Yorubas ab initio.

This must be the exact reason given by the supporters of that policy. When meritocracy is trounced by nepotism, then you should expect the situation we found ourselves now.

These companies were british owned and had headquarters in Lagos

I think you should have told those companies to bring their head offices to Onitsha so that Igbos would have taken them over

Yoruba took over companies in the SW, Let Igbos take over companies in the SE or why is that difficult.

Which situation do we find ourselves? Maybe we wouldnt have found ourselves here if brianless Igbo children like Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Nwobosi, Anuforo and co didnt stage a coup to kill other regional leaders and spare theirs
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 2:54pm On Aug 25, 2012
Onlytruth:

Afam4eva

Nna ike gwuru! sad

The same goes to Ejine.

Jisie ike nwanne. cool

Go back to your mailing list and as them what happened to companies in the SE? Did Yorubas also take them over? and if there are no companies in the SE, Then ask whose fault was it? Maybe you should blame the british who embraced the SW and rejected your caves in ALAYIBO
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 3:04pm On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu:

These companies were british owned and had headquarters in Lagos

I think you should have told those companies to bring their head offices to Onitsha so that Igbos would have taken them over

Yoruba took over companies in the SW, Let Igbos take over companies in the SE or why is that difficult.

Which situation do we find ourselves? Maybe we wouldnt have found ourselves here if brianless Igbo children like Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Nwobosi, Anuforo and co didnt stage a coup to kill other regional leaders and spare theirs

Seriously, you are too slow. If you sound so unintelligent one more time, I will hit my ignore button on you.

If you acquire Microsoft, you acquires all their assets wherever it is located. Going by your argument, how many companies were left standing in the war-ravaged east? This is not a scramble for abandoned property. This goes beyond that. Is it so difficult for you to comprehend?

Back to the topic.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by 9javoice1(m): 3:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
The british did not resist that move because of some reasons:

1) they see it as a way to help nigeria to build up again. act of pity
2) they now have bigger deal with nigeria in oil .
3) the british doesnt need strong and wise group like the igbos any more in the land of the blacks.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 3:40pm On Aug 25, 2012
ACM10:

Seriously, you are too slow. If you sound so unintelligent one more time, I will hit my ignore button on you.

If you acquire Microsoft, you acquires all their assets wherever it is located. Going by your argument, how many companies were left standing in the war-ravaged east? This is not a scramble for abandoned property. This goes beyond that. Is it so difficult for you to comprehend?

Back to the topic.

So whose fault is it that there were no companies in the East

and why are Igbos crying over companies located in the SW? Ths your leech mentality is worrisome

I guess its genetic

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by sheyguy: 3:42pm On Aug 25, 2012
ACM10:

Oh yes! The topic deserves to be debated. I hope u will come back to make your contribution. cool
Do we really need to debate a morally correct fact?
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 3:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
The British were actually 419ed (scammed)by the Yoruba & HAUSA/FULANI after wining the war for them against Biafra, but they have no choice other than remain mute since they knew they would still benefit from the oil due to their (british) shameful and evil role in slaughtering over 3million Biafra/Igbos.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by alex14(m): 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
@ OP, I say a resounding thank you for this thread. Although, my father already told me about the motivation behind Awolowo's move, but it's a good thing you brought up this important issue for some naive Igbo sons/daughters especially the "Lagos and Abuja" Igbos who can no longer see beyond their nose(s) embarassed. Some of these so called "Lagos and Abuja" Igbos are even telling us to forget the past and move on, forgetting that this is precisely what the enemies of Ndigbo wanted in the first place.

Lastly, there is a wise saying that says: "THOSE WHO FORGET THEIR PAST SHALL BECOME HISTORY".
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by sheyguy: 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
And if i may contribute further, who do you think will like to locate head office of any organisation in Anambra Or Enugu where rate of kidnaping, insecurity level extortion is very high instead of far more serene Lagos and Abuja? No body but Easterners is responsible for the woes of the East
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by alex14(m): 4:04pm On Aug 25, 2012
My main contribution to this thread is for we the younger Igbo nation to be wise and learn about nigeria (oh yes, learn about nigeria's past), because most of us claim to be educated in one field or the other, but when it comes to nigeria's history vis-a-vis Igbo nation, we are completely illiterate (no offence). I also believe that it's only when Ndigbo have a full undiluted and unbiased knowledge of nigeria's history, that they can safely navigate the dungeon called nigeria.

The knowledge of the past shall be the light to the future cool.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by sheyguy: 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu:

WHo fought bitterly to have Igbos in Nigeria?

Maybe you can tell us why Igbos and Biafrans attacked the Widwest and South West
Or even go a step back in time and tell us why they lured 'Yorubas' before independence into union Nigeria.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 4:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
It has been what the Yorubas been trying too hard to make sure it's locked and kept away from the light, no wonder they are so bent on accusing Igbos of the very crimes they themselves are responsible as a cheap way of diverting from the truth.
alex_101: My main contribution to this thread is for we the younger Igbo nation to be wise and learn about nigeria (oh yes, learn about nigeria's past), because most of us claim to be educated in one field or the other, but when it comes to nigeria's history vis-a-vis Igbo nation, we are completely illiterate (no offence). I also believe that it's only when Ndigbo have a full undiluted and unbiased knowledge of nigeria's history, that they can safely navigate the dungeon called nigeria.

The knowledge of the past shall be the light to the future cool.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Dede1(m): 4:54pm On Aug 25, 2012
@OP

We should thank the author of the posted piece for exposing the stark ignorance that dwells in the mind of certain Nigeria. The author should not have deliberated on the punitive indigenization decree alone but boundary adjustment and land decree yet the moronic leaders failed to settle the issues of Bakassi. It is an unforgettable mark in history that the damages inflicted on Nidgbo by Britain\Biafra war were finished by indigenization and boundary adjustment decrees.

I have always looked at the civil war as Britain\Biafra war and regarded the term of Nigeria\Biafra civil war as a misnomer. In addition, I am happy the author brought to the fore the basement ignorance that tends to dominate certain discussions about and in Nigeria. I bear a shocking disappointment on the comments from unexpected quarters on this issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NAF Repels Boko Haram Attack On Own Ground Forces At Kangarwa, Borno (video) / ‘More Chibok Girls Have Escaped’ - Daily Trust / Massive Crowd Turn Out For Benue PDP Campaign Flagoff (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.