Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences (23053 Views)

I’m Reaching Out To Those Who Defected To APC – PDP Chairman, Sheriff / Sanusi, Monetary Policy And Economic Development In Nigeria / Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Onlytruth(m): 5:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
Dede1: @OP

We should thank the author of the posted piece for exposing the stark ignorance that dwells in the mind of certain Nigeria. The author should not have deliberated on the punitive indigenization decree alone but boundary adjustment and land decree yet the moronic leaders failed to settle the issues of Bakassi. It is an unforgettable mark in history that the damages inflicted on Nidgbo by Britain\Biafra war were finished by indigenization and boundary adjustment decrees.

I have always looked at the civil war as Britain\Biafra war and regarded the term of Nigeria\Biafra civil war as a misnomer. In addition, I am happy the author brought to the fore the basement ignorance that tends to dominate certain discussions about and in Nigeria. I bear a shocking disappointment on the comments from unexpected quarters on this issue.

I am not shocked at all by some of the comments from our own brothers on this issue. Reason? Some of them are already repeating history by heavily investing eslewhere while abandoning the East. Man is usually self centered and would rather view the world from personal convenience. Only VERY FEW men view the world objectively and without considering personal convenience. lol

@Topic,

Now I'm back! cool
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Onlytruth(m): 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
Noiseless2: [b]The British were actually 419ed (scammed)by the Yoruba & HAUSA/FULANI after wining the war for them against Biafra, but they have no choice other than remain mute since they knew they would still benefit from the oil [/b]due to their (british) shameful and evil role in slaughtering over 3million Biafra/Igbos.

Perhaps the bolded represents my own conclusions drawn from the intents and practices of the Indigenization Decree of March 1972.

I didn't even dig deep to draw the same conclusion, and I will post my supporting document.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Onlytruth(m): 5:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
Some years after political independence, it became clear to Nigerians that political independence, for it to be meaningful, should be founded on a bedrock of economic indepedence. It was in realization of this fact that in March 1972, the Nigerian government promulgated the Indigenization Decree. The decree compels some foreign business organizations to share the ownership of some of their business interests with Nigerians. Since 1972, other similar decrees have been promulgated, the most important of them being the decree of January 12, 1977.
The decree classified all enterprises in Nigeria into three schedules:

Schedule 1 consists of enterpriseswhich should be 100 percent owned and managed exclusively by Nigerians;

Schedule 2 are enterprises where Nigerians should acquire up to 60 percent equity participation; while,

Schedule 3 consists of enterprises with 40 percent equity participation by Nigerians

The decree then stipulated that appropriate equities of those enterprises were to be sold or transfered to Nigerians not later than December 31 1978 (or June 30 1977 for some classes of businesses).

Source: Nigeria's Third Republic: The Problems and Prospects of Political Transition ...
By Bamidele A. Ojo

http://books.google.com/books?id=CcXAqV4Ho04C&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=indigenization+decree+in+Nigeria+what+year&source=bl&ots=lDGiyUHJE5&sig=NUaPKWuIaTusiuJQQXKRNOGVBl8&hl=en#v=onepage&q=indigenization%20decree%20in%20Nigeria%20what%20year&f=false

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Yeske2(m): 5:28pm On Aug 25, 2012
@Eze OnlyTruth, you made sense die.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Onlytruth(m): 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2012
Why do I believe that the British and Igbo were scammed? Simple.

The British could not have resisted the Indigenization Decree because (after the destruction of the Igbo in 1970) they had no other leg to stand in Nigeria. Before the Nigeria/Biafran war, the British were very well represented in the THREE Regions: EAST, WEST AND NORTH (and to a lesser extent Midwest). Even as the war began, the British didn't immediately take sides until the Biafran side made some errors that swayed the war against Biafra within Nigerian groups (call it betrayal by those Nigerian groups or whatever) the British couldn't side with Biafra afterwards. Only a master stroke foreign support from another world power for Biafra could have attracted the British back to support Biafra. That never happened.

Before the war, the British worked more with Igbo civil servants and administrators, even up to military command. So, the British did not hate the Igbo really. It was all games of self preservation that made Britain support Nigeria.

With such background information, it becomes clear now how BETRAYED the British must have felt after their companies were forcibly taken from them and shared between Yoruba and Hausa elite who "won the war". sad

For all those who claim that the Igbo lost in indigenization excercise merely because the companies were located in the West, my questions to you are these:

Which rational human would expect the Igbo to be fair participants in the sharing of national resources just two to ten years after the most devastating war in the African continent?

Why the mad rush to indigenize?

What were the architects of indigenization rushing for, or better yet, what were they running from?

By the way, why did the indigenization thing stop in 1977/78? Why not conduct it again today? lol

I often feel insulted by some of the banal and self serving arguments put up by some Nigerians, because it shows such groups as wicked and without soul.

Well, let the debate continue. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 6:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
@Onlytruth, I thank you for stating your point clearly. In my opinion, British were scammed. Maybe like someone pointed out, they didn't resist such move because the have their eyes fixed on the newly discovered oil in the eastern region. But that one will be a debate for another day.
I expect posters from the other side to shoot down these scathing reviews of issues that bothers on indigenisation policy point by point.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Yeske2(m): 6:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
^^
Posters from the other side, you mean liars who would want to rewrite history? True and honest posters from whatever side definitely will agree with what OnlyTruth said except they have contrary opinions that they can back up.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by joeyfire(m): 6:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
For crying out loud! What do you mean "did yorubas take over companies in the east". Are companies taken over by mob action or purchase of shares? Don't get it twisted, the british owned companies for administrative reasons cited 80 percent of the companies headquarters in lagos. You dey sing song say make igbos leave your region. Hear this - igbos are in lagos not generally in your region

HiiiPower:

The OP is being disingenuous!
All the companies he listed were located in the western region and Lagos.

Can he tell us what happened to the companies in EASTERN REGION, NORTHERN REGION, AND MIDWEST?
Did the Yoruba take over them as well?

I don't know why you guys always cry spilled milk over things in Yoruba region and Lagos,
are we siamese twins? Our region is our region, and whatever we do there is non of your business.
The same way Azikwe wanted to rule over Lagos and western region; and cried cross carpeting till he died.

What do you people want from us?

The way forward is about how Igbo people would focus on their region,
stop moving to Yoruba land, and mind their own business.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by mpumalanga: 6:54pm On Aug 25, 2012
All the policies like indigenization and others post civil war, were done by men and women that believes such
decision will hep their own people.When are we going to learn to take positions 'ruthlessly' to further our own interest without
being apologetic to other people's view the same way other do or did?

More historical information like this should be shared to guide the future.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Dede1(m): 7:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
mpumalanga: All the policies like indigenization and others post civil war, were done by men and women that believes such
decision will hep their own people.When are we going to learn to take positions 'ruthlessly' to further our own interest without
being apologetic to other people's view the same way other do or did?

More historical information like this should be shared to guide the future.

Bros, you could not be more correct with your postulation on this discuss. Sometimes I felt Ndigbo had not learnt their lessons from the fallouts of Britain\Biafra war.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by mpumalanga: 8:38pm On Aug 25, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, you could not be more correct with your postulation on this discuss. Sometimes I felt Ndigbo had not learnt their lessons from the fallouts of Britain\Biafra war.

Oga Dede,it worries me every day because if we have learned how to watch
the suffering of others with clinical detachment like other groups,we will be succeeding
more in nigeria.

I wish some of our people adopted this position 'strongly' during the western nigeria
crisis and even the most recent so called june 12.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 8:53pm On Aug 25, 2012
I'm so glad that in this day and age, the tool (media propaganda lies) which the Yoruba & hausa/fulani have used for many years after murdering over three million Biafra/Igbos with the help of the british monsters to hide the innocent blood on their hands has met it's waterloo,cos' gone are those days when with the budget they mapped out for their media to continue presenting their image against the Igbos to the whole world without means to challenge their shameful and evil lies. Even though they are still flying around many lies through whatever means they can,at least with the internet one can clearly see that they are struggling to keep up with their lies, in fact their every lie they ever spread or told is actually bouncing back at them with a devastating jaw tearing uppercut. And if anyone continues thinking they will change i'm really sorry they will continue in this way,cos whoever the gods want to kill the gods will first make him mad. And what baffles me is that for many years since after the war, with the blood of over three million Biafrans/easterners on their hands,and after brainwashing our neighbours of many thousands of years of peace by telling them,"Igbos will dominate you,Igbos will do this to you and do that you,Igbos hate you and we just here to liberate you from the Igbos",after even going as far as making sure that all Igboland that crud oil was discovered in those days were carved out and make some of the communities deny their Igboness, order wise they will be met with same inhumane way the Igbos are being met with. Despite all their claims that they love our brothers and neighbours and are there to liberate them from some imaginary Igbo whatever, my humble question to these greedy bunch and oil hungry hypocrites,is now that a son of the soil of the land and people which you have thrown everything you could think of at Igbos to make them think you are there really to liberate them has made it to the presidency in this country,a good man for that matter, so why can't you lots seize this golden opportunity to finally prove all your claims against the Igbos, instead of being the ones which are not only bullying him,threatening his life,sabotaging his every effort,vowing to make the country ungovernable for him by using religious guise to murder innocent people if he ever gets elected as the president. My other question to you lots, is all of you put together since after the war,how many presidents/heads of states have you produced, at least not less than 11 presidents/heads of states on 11 different occasions,now which of these former presidents/heads of states can you honestly say was better than the man you have now sworn to make sure he becomes a laughing subject? Use your heads instead of exposing yourselves as hypocrites in the highest order,why not even pretend and allow him to govern peacefully his mandate so that the lies which you have been telling over the years against the Igbos won't be exposed?

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Dede1(m): 9:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
mpumalanga:

Oga Dede,it worries me every day because if we have learned how to watch
the suffering of others with clinical detachment like other groups,we will be succeeding
more in nigeria.

I wish some of our people adopted this position 'strongly' during the western nigeria
crisis and even the most recent so called june 12.

It has remained a scene of ultimate regret for me when I saw few sons and daughters of Ndigbo gathered to constitute themselves into public menace over the nonsensical “June 12”.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by pazienza(m): 1:35am On Aug 26, 2012
Yea,only few igbos know why we turned to traders after the war,and why the yorubas control nigeria's corporate world. I will post this topic in my facebook. This is a very important history that the young and unborn generations of igbos MUST learn.

Ejine,you really disappointed me,that post was unlike you,what happened?

By the way,i am waiting for nairaland history revisionist extraordinaire, katsumoto and his side kick,Tksy,to come and offer a good opposition to this topic,as dayo and co have failed.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by oduasolja: 2:58am On Aug 26, 2012
WHY DONT U BASTARD BIAFRANS RETURN ALL THE monies you looted from nigeria.

you looted from the central bank in benin , port harcourt and calabar.

why dont u return all that money.

buhahhahah

you igbos embarked on a war of colonisation and appropriation of minority lands and resources and you were soundly defeated , yet you want us to pay you for you tyranny and stupidity . get lost.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by maxmeridiux: 3:29am On Aug 26, 2012
what is d meaning of dis uselss thread? what is d point here?
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 3:42am On Aug 26, 2012
Story tellers, time to move this thread to literature section.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by BlackPikiN(m): 3:55am On Aug 26, 2012
The truth is bitter! lol

Make una taste the truth wey una dey hide since
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 26, 2012
BlackPikiN: The truth is bitter! lol

Make una taste the truth wey una dey hide since

I assume that you still believe in Santa Claus
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by omenala(m): 4:18am On Aug 26, 2012
This thread is a classic! like someone mentioned earlier what is the way forward for ndi igbo?

I've always wondered why nigeria isn't as developed as south africa, now i know better.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by blaqoracle: 4:20am On Aug 26, 2012
Onlytruth:

I am not shocked at all by some of the comments from our own brothers on this issue. Reason? Some of them are already repeating history by heavily investing eslewhere while abandoning the East. Man is usually self centered and would rather view the world from personal convenience. Only VERY FEW men view the world objectively and without considering personal convenience. lol

@Topic,

Now I'm back! cool
from where did they make the fortune? capitalist Always Invest In Either Where they made their money or were they can make money
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 4:22am On Aug 26, 2012
The war was mainly Igbo vs North, but all I see is Yoruba.

Real question; how much power does a Yoruba person have on psychological well-being of Igbos in general? Why should Yorubas help you fight a war that you didn't plan well before starting?

Even if you declare Biafra today, Yorubas will not join you if it does not positively benefit them.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by logica(m): 4:23am On Aug 26, 2012
kettykin: This is worst than having the Cocoa Heaquaters in Calabar a city which is a cocoa producer but not neccessarily a major producer or having Coal corporation in Ibadan which has no coal deposit.
LOL @ ignorance. So Lagos is not an oil producing state? How many times are we going to inform you unteachable lot?
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 4:26am On Aug 26, 2012
first place, Yoruba and Hausa claimed that

Ibo was dominating everything in the

country but what they will not

acknowledge publicly was the fact that

the British were making the decisions

about who to hire by their own standard

and not by Ibo standard and that Ibo was

good at what they did and better than

them.

Another falsified emotional rant.

If you must seek sympathy, do it credibly.

Where are these claims? Who did the Yorubas go to to make this claim?

There was no animosity between the Igbos and Yorubas pro-Biafran beat-down. The distrust Yorubas have for Igbos started pro-Biafran Beat-down.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 4:30am On Aug 26, 2012
the world

knew it that the Yoruba did not possess

the capacity, creativity, drive,

perseverance, hard work and the

competence to do what some are

crediting to

Seriously, if we begin to disect every section of fcukkery in the OP's content, one will begin to understand why the Igbos lost the war.

Which "World" knew Yorubas did not have the bla bla bla?

Did the "World" even know a Yoruba/Igbo existed before the Times posted pictures of hungry Biafran children? Igbos and Yorubas tribes were easily differentiated by "the world"?

Very crass sentiment garbage.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by BlackPikiN(m): 4:31am On Aug 26, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
The war was mainly Igbo vs North, but all I see is Yoruba.

Real question; how much power does a Yoruba person have on psychological well-being of Igbos in general? Why should Yorubas help you fight a war that you didn't plan well before starting?

Even if you declare Biafra today, Yorubas will not join you if it does not positively benefit them.

Did you not read where the former emperor of the whole yoruba jumped ship because he was promised the presidency. he also granted a 1mile military corridor from OFFA to APAPA.

chei ife eme!!!
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 4:33am On Aug 26, 2012
The apparent dominant control

the Yoruba has on the economy since

after the war was not out of great honest

smartness or creativity or innovation or

hard work or competence but out of

share robbery of the British and Ibo

sweat and hard work.

But yet, it was during OBJ (Yoruba man)'s regime was that Igbos gained back their "work".

Was it not Obj that gave that Dora her position?

Simpletons.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by blaqoracle: 4:34am On Aug 26, 2012
Noiseless2: I'm so glad that in this day and age, the tool (media propaganda lies) which the Yoruba & hausa/fulani have used for many years after murdering over three million Biafra/Igbos with the help of the british monsters to hide the innocent blood on their hands has met it's waterloo,cos' gone are those days when with the budget they mapped out for their media to continue presenting their image against the Igbos to the whole world without means to challenge their shameful and evil lies. Even though they are still flying around many lies through whatever means they can,at least with the internet one can clearly see that are struggling to keep up with their lies, in fact their every lies they ever spread or told is actually bouncing back at them with a devastating jaw tearing uppercut. And if anyone continue thinking they will change i'm really sorry they will continue in this way,cos whoever the gods want to kill the gods will first make him mad. And what baffles me is that for many years since after the war, with the blood of over three million Biafrans/easterners on their hand, after brainwashing our neighbours many thousands of years of peace by telling them,"Igbos will dominate you,Igbos will do this to you and do that you,Igbos hate you and we just here to liberate you from the Igbos",after even going as far as making sure that all Igboland that crud oil was discovered in those days were carved out and make some of the communities deny their Igboness, order wise they will be met with same inhumane way the Igbos are being met with. Despite all their claims that they love our brothers and neighbours and are their to liberate them from some imaginary Igbo whatever, my humble question to these greedy bunch and oil hungry hypocrites,is now that a son of the soil of the land and people which you have thrown everything you could think of at Igbos to make them think you are there really to liberate them has made it to the presidency in this country,a good man for that matter, so why can't you lots seize this golden opportunity to finally prove all your claims against the Igbos, instead of being the ones which are not only bullying him,threatening his life,sabotaging his every effort,vowing to make the country ungovernable for him by using religious guise to murder innocent people if he ever gets elected as the president. My other question to you lots, is all of you put together since after the war,how many presidents/heads of states have you produced, at least not less than 11 presidents/heads of states on 11 different occasions,now which of these former presidents/heads of states can you honestly say was better than the man you have now sworn to make sure he becomes a laughing subject? Use your heads instead of exposing yourselves as hypocrites in the highest order,why not even pretend and allow him to govern peacefully his mandate so that the lies which exposed?
there is no such thing as "igbo". igbo is just a manufactured identity for both economic and political agitation.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 4:38am On Aug 26, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Did you not read where the former emperor of the whole yoruba jumped ship because he was promised the presidency. he also granted a 1mile military corridor from OFFA to APAPA.

chei ife eme!!!

See what I mean?

how more stupid can one get on the www.

You have prominent Yorubas who risked their life for this useless Biafrans, yet they want to taint Yoruba name all in hope of gaining sympathy www. viewers.

You should be more focused on Ojukwu who risked thousands of Biafran lives just to become the President of Biafra.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 26, 2012
dayokanu:

WHo fought bitterly to have Igbos in Nigeria?

Maybe you can tell us why Igbos and Biafrans attacked the Widwest and South West

Igbos had no intention of attacking the yo-robbers. I know you know it but for the sake of argument will not admit it. This is called mischief. By the way what will be the benefit of attacking the yo-robbers when they posed no threat? I know many people were brain washed by their folks. But as one gets older and with our conscience intact we should see and say things as they are.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 6:13am On Aug 26, 2012
Bro, better not make a hyena a pet and hoping it won't eat you or your kids. These fact twisting Yorubas are worst than any dangerous thing you can think of, shameless people who are always scheming ways to use Igbos in everything to shine like stars without working for it.
jomonic:

Igbos had no intention of attacking the yo-robbers. I know you know it but for the sake of argument will not admit it. This is called mischief. By the way what will be the benefit of attacking the yo-robbers when they posed no threat? I know many people were brain washed by their folks. But as one gets older and with our conscience intact we should see and say things as they are.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 6:40am On Aug 26, 2012
Truth hating bunch, you mean awolowo, who ran to warn his Yorubas that there is war between hausa/fulani and Igbos, that it doesn't have anything to do with you lots,was quick to fined a reason to join hausa/fulani immediately the hausa/fulani 419ed him with promise of making him the future nigeria's president? I bet he he must have spent a lot of the money he stole from Igbos paying the finest speech writers while waiting and praying his hausa/fulani husbands lived up their promise.No wonder he got frustrated and died by suicidal after his own kinsmen (ABIOLA & OBASONJO)landed the final jaw tearing uppercuts.
Ileke-IdI:

See what I mean?

how more stupid can one get on the www.

You have prominent Yorubas who risked their life for this useless Biafrans, yet they want to taint Yoruba name all in hope of gaining sympathy www. viewers.

You should be more focused on Ojukwu who risked thousands of Biafran lives just to become the President of Biafra.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed And Kemi Adeosun On Channels TV / Falana To Buhari: Don't Let Police Disrupt Upcoming #EndSARS Protest / Massive Crowd Turn Out For Benue PDP Campaign Flagoff (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.