Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences (23050 Views)

I’m Reaching Out To Those Who Defected To APC – PDP Chairman, Sheriff / Sanusi, Monetary Policy And Economic Development In Nigeria / Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 6:41am On Aug 26, 2012
ACM, I would recommend reading two old articles that comment significantly on this indigenization process:

"The Nigerian Indigenization Policy: Nationalism or Pragmatism?" (1983) by Chibuzo S. A. Ogbuagu and "Towards Authentic Economic Nationalism in Nigeria" (1986) by Chibuzo N. Nwoke.

Both articles provide important context (important in determining whether there was a deliberate "Yoruba wealth bolstering conspiracy" or an oversight and failure to consider the plight of those groups trying to recover from the civil war - and the distinction is important) and a lot of analysis of the process. The 1983 article by Ogbuagu also raises some of the ethnic problems/concerns mentioned by the author of the article you posted at the beginning of this thread.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 6:53am On Aug 26, 2012
What a bu!lpoo! Your obasonjo could not resist to use the likes of dora and ngozi to shine of course,since he knew they are not corrupt even though he used all means at his disposal in trying to corrupt the fine Igbo ladies but he failed. So what else do you have?
Ileke-IdI:

But yet, it was during OBJ (Yoruba man)'s regime was that Igbos gained back their "work".

Was it not Obj that gave that Dora her position?

Simpletons.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 7:16am On Aug 26, 2012
PhysicsQED: ACM, I would recommend reading two old articles that comment significantly on this indigenization process:

"The Nigerian Indigenization Policy: Nationalism or Pragmatism?" (1983) by Chibuzo S. A. Ogbuagu and "Towards Authentic Economic Nationalism in Nigeria" (1986) by Chibuzo N. Nwoke.

Both articles provide important context (important in determining whether there was a deliberate "Yoruba wealth bolstering conspiracy" or an oversight and failure to consider the plight of those groups trying to recover from the civil war - and the distinction is important) and a lot of analysis of the process. The 1983 article by Ogbuagu also raises some of the ethnic problems/concerns mentioned by the author of the article you posted at the beginning of this thread.

Noted! I will look for those articles. Thank you!
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 7:20am On Aug 26, 2012
What sympathy please? Any person (none Yorubas) expecting fairness from Yorubas in anywhere will continue to fool him/herself, that is what we want our people to understand that you are actually worse than we thought simple. keep your sympathy to yourselves no one needs it,as long as our people understand this that is good enough for us, by the way it is crystal clear now that all Yorubas do everywhere is to use others like a shield from their abusive hausa/fulani husbands, not so? Or is malam farouk telling lies i'm sure you wish he had not revealed a bit of the greed of what made awolowo and his Yoruba people rushed to join in murdering over three million Biafrans.
Ileke-IdI:

Another falsified emotional rant.

If you must seek sympathy, do it credibly.

Where are these claims? Who did the Yorubas go to to make this claim?

There was no animosity between the Igbos and Yorubas pro-Biafran beat-down. The distrust Yorubas have for Igbos started pro-Biafran Beat-down.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by mpumalanga: 8:28am On Aug 26, 2012
We have survived all those deliberate brutal decisions standing alone and
i think we can employ the experience to benefit from the present nigeria situation
especially now that the war coalition is in disarray and each group(s) are desperately
looking for alliance for salvation.

Some are trying to call it oversight lol.Everything that happened to the igbos were
either caused by them or done by oversight according to some nigerians.Even up till today,
similar thing are practiced by some churches and some igbos can't see that earlier.

How can somebody explain a situation where some people have to waste their money and risk their life to go and
see God in cannan land,redeem land and mountain of fire land and they can never come to Elijah land in ELELE
or lands Uyo or Gboko.Even my LORD JESUS was going around doing his good.

Igbos are now stimulating the economy of other people in the name of religion
and after some years,we will come back to blame CHURCH POLICY.We were helpless during the indigenization and other
policies but the MESSAGE is that you rally round your own because in nigeria,no decision is irrational.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by sheyguy: 8:45am On Aug 26, 2012
OP is not answering some important question.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2012
sheyguy: OP is not answering some important question.

Sorry, can you repeat those questions. Maybe I missed them
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by MrWale: 9:09am On Aug 26, 2012
if you wish to get connected to a rich sugar
mummy, just call the helpdesk personnel of
WALEMUMMIESVENTURES on +2348109700577.
We're waiting for your call.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 9:52am On Aug 26, 2012
mpumalanga: We have survived all those deliberate brutal decisions standing alone and
i think we can employ the experience to benefit from the present nigeria situation
especially now that the war coalition is in disarray and each group(s) are desperately
looking for alliance for salvation.

Some are trying to call it oversight lol.Everything that happened to the igbos were
either caused by them or done by oversight according to some nigerians.Even up till today,
similar thing are practiced by some churches and some igbos can't see that earlier.

How can somebody explain a situation where some people have to waste their money and risk their life to go and
see God in cannan land,redeem land and mountain of fire land and they can never come to Elijah land in ELELE
or lands Uyo or Gboko.Even my LORD JESUS was going around doing his good.

Igbos are now stimulating the economy of other people in the name of religion
and after some years,we will come back to blame CHURCH POLICY.We were helpless during the indigenization and other
policies but the MESSAGE is that you rally round your own because in nigeria,no decision is irrational.

I would appreciate it if you could just address me directly rather than just making some snide remark. Considering that every part of Nigeria, including the region that would later become Biafra, had some elites that were pushing for indigenization prior to the civil war and the idea was being promoted as early as the 50s, I'm not really convinced that it was mainly or intentionally some "Yoruba wealth bolstering conspiracy" against Igbos or people from what was Biafra in particular. I think that those that were recovering from the war did unfortunately get sidelined by not having comparable economic means at the time, but after what I read, I find it rather hard to believe that some kind of nationalization program wouldn't have been carried out soon after independence (if not for the increasing political chaos from 1966 onward) regardless of which section of the country was "ruling" as long as the conservative Balewa administration was replaced militarily or defeated in elections. I see the argument for Igbos being sidelined by the process, but what I'm skeptical of is the "deliberate conspiracy" aspect. Considering that Gowon established the Expatriate Quota Allocation Board in 1966 ( before Aburi, decree 8 and the rejection of decree 8 ), after the Balewa administration had taken the first, much less radical, step toward indigenization in 1962, I don't see indigenization in the 70s as a consequence or outgrowth of the civil war, but something that would have happened anyway as a natural outgrowth of earlier policies. As far as I can tell, Nigeria was heading toward indigenization, civil war or no civil war. That the indigenization process favored some more than others is unfortunate, but I don't see some kind of grand ethnic plot/scheme as being behind it.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by mpumalanga: 10:36am On Aug 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I would appreciate it if you could just address me directly rather than just making some snide remark. Considering that every part of Nigeria, including the region that would later become Biafra, had some elites that were pushing for indigenization prior to the civil war and the idea was being promoted as early as the 50s, I'm not really convinced that it was mainly or intentionally some "Yoruba wealth bolstering conspiracy" against Igbos or people from what was Biafra in particular. I think that those that were recovering from the war did unfortunately get sidelined by not having comparable economic means at the time, but after what I read, I find it rather hard to believe that some kind of nationalization program wouldn't have been carried out soon after independence (if not for the increasing political chaos from 1966 onward) regardless of which section of the country was "ruling" as long as the conservative Balewa administration was replaced militarily or defeated in elections. I see the argument for Igbos being sidelined by the process, but what I'm skeptical of is the "deliberate conspiracy" aspect. Considering that Gowon established the Expatriate Quota Allocation Board in 1966 ( before Aburi, decree 8 and the rejection of decree 8 ), after the Balewa administration had taken the first, much less radical, step toward indigenization in 1962, I don't see inidigenization in the 70s as a consequence or outgrowth of the civil war, but something that would have happened anyway as a natural outgrowth of earlier policies. As far as I can tell, Nigeria was heading toward indigenization, civil war or no civil war. That the indigenization process favored some more than others is unfortunate, but I don't see some kind of grand ethnic plot/scheme as being behind it.

There is nothing snidely in my intention as i was touching each parts of the comments.
Was it not the same government that took the decisions that made those that were recovering
from the war to be incapable of participating in the policy?Are you saying that the same experts
that some of you hails as gurus and sages can not comprehend the implications of certain decision
among the different population divide as at that time.I like it more when i hear that they deserve it just as usual.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 10:56am On Aug 26, 2012
mpumalanga:

There is nothing snidely in my intention as i was touching each parts of the comments.
Was it not the same government that took the decisions that made those that were recovering
from the war to be incapable of participating in the policy?Are you saying that the same experts
that some of you hails as gurus and sages can not comprehend the implications of certain decision
among the different population divide as at that time.I like it more when i hear that they deserve it just as usual.

Look, as far as I'm concerned, it was bad timing or if you like, incompetence and blindness to the plight of others - but the conspiracy aspect of things only holds water if you believe that carrying out the nationalization was predicated only on things ending up the way they did after the war. But after reading up on the background of this drive to indigenization, I genuinely don't believe that the war had to happen for it to happen. For example, Awolowo called for nationalization (indigenization) while in the opposition in the federal legislature in 1961. If the ruling coalition had adopted his more extreme position even back then, instead of the more moderate approach they were pursuing, nobody would even be discussing this right now. I simply don't see the nationalization process as being predicated on or carried out because of the economic downfall of the eastern region, especially since the alleged principal conspirator (Awolowo) didn't even care if the NPC and NCNC were in control of government while nationalization was carried out. That's my point of view. Clearly you have your own view of things and we're not going to agree, so let's leave it at that.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by AK481(m): 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2012
oduasolja: indigenisation decree was not about transfering ownership of western companies to yorubas outright. it was about allowing all nigerians to buy shares in these companies. these companies were listed on the stock exchange and those who had money bought into them simple and short .

these stupid bastards ranting about ohhh , the yorubas took over these companies when all it was was people being able to buy shares in companies.

Unfortunately enough,ur ability to comprehend is too poor and" absolute zero"level.didn't you read where the op said the all igbos were given 20 €?
How many shares can 20€ buy?
I like people quashing arguement with a superior one.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by AK481(m): 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2012
MrWale: if you wish to get connected to a rich sugar
mummy, just call the helpdesk personnel of
WALEMUMMIESVENTURES on +2348109700577.
We're waiting for your call.
Another yoruba man
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by AK481(m): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2012
joeyfire: For crying out loud! What do you mean "did yorubas take over companies in the east". Are companies taken over by mob action or purchase of shares? Don't get it twisted, the british owned companies for administrative reasons cited 80 percent of the companies headquarters in lagos. You dey sing song say make igbos leave your region. Hear this - igbos are in lagos not generally in your region

Goat,how much share can 20€ buy?
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by AK481(m): 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2012
oduasolja: WHY DONT U BASTARD BIAFRANS RETURN ALL THE monies you looted from nigeria.

you looted from the central bank in benin , port harcourt and calabar.

why dont u return all that money.

buhahhahah

you igbos embarked on a war of colonisation and appropriation of minority lands and resources and you were soundly defeated , yet you want us to pay you for you tyranny and stupidity . get lost.

Oga,defend the issue at hand and stop galivanting.
Do you agree with the poser? Yes or no? If no,y?
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by AK481(m): 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
The war was mainly Igbo vs North, but all I see is Yoruba.

Real question; how much power does a Yoruba person have on psychological well-being of Igbos in general? Why should Yorubas help you fight a war that you didn't plan well before starting?

Even if you declare Biafra today, Yorubas will not join you if it does not positively benefit them.
You re not welcomed here,go to romance section,dat is where ur mates are,go and tell them stories how u were nyarshed,not important thread like this.
I repeat u ve notin to offer.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 2:16pm On Aug 26, 2012
You can clearly see how you yourself is finding it very difficult to fit in your argument on this topic since you decided to come to the rescue. But one thing you still haven't explained or you ignored is how a people whose entire savings were confiscated and handed to few of them only bloody 20pounds by the same government regardless of tens of thousands or millions they had in the nigerian banks be able to participate in the program? Not even mentioning those who were murdered in cold blood or while trying to escape for their dear lives, bear in mind they were not able to take their savings to igboland as tens of thousands of them could not even make it to igboland alive, let alone taking their lives savings or properties with them. Your effort to try to make sense on this topic really has reduced you to zero am afraid, this people were only asking their individual sweats (savings)which they left in banks to escape for their dear lives before the war. Why is it that nigerians are so evil minded that they can't help but to look for a way to always twist everything about the war in order to justify their act of shame? Yet you would rather want Igbos forget about the war,but you won't be courageous enough to be honest about it.
PhysicsQED:

I would appreciate it if you could just address me directly rather than just making some snide remark. Considering that every part of Nigeria, including the region that would later become Biafra, had some elites that were pushing for indigenization prior to the civil war and the idea was being promoted as early as the 50s, I'm not really convinced that it was mainly or intentionally some "Yoruba wealth bolstering conspiracy" against Igbos or people from what was Biafra in particular. I think that those that were recovering from the war did unfortunately get sidelined by not having comparable economic means at the time, but after what I read, I find it rather hard to believe that some kind of nationalization program wouldn't have been carried out soon after independence (if not for the increasing political chaos from 1966 onward) regardless of which section of the country was "ruling" as long as the conservative Balewa administration was replaced militarily or defeated in elections. I see the argument for Igbos being sidelined by the process, but what I'm skeptical of is the "deliberate conspiracy" aspect. Considering that Gowon established the Expatriate Quota Allocation Board in 1966 ( before Aburi, decree 8 and the rejection of decree 8 ), after the Balewa administration had taken the first, much less radical, step toward indigenization in 1962, I don't see indigenization in the 70s as a consequence or outgrowth of the civil war, but something that would have happened anyway as a natural outgrowth of earlier policies. As far as I can tell, Nigeria was heading toward indigenization, civil war or no civil war. That the indigenization process favored some more than others is unfortunate, but I don't see some kind of grand ethnic plot/scheme as being behind it.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Dede1(m): 2:28pm On Aug 26, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
The war was mainly Igbo vs North, but all I see is Yoruba.

Real question; how much power does a Yoruba person have on psychological well-being of Igbos in general? Why should Yorubas help you fight a war that you didn't plan well before starting?

Even if you declare Biafra today, Yorubas will not join you if it does not positively benefit them.

If you tend to lack self control on mere historical facts, I wonder what you do with your arse when socially tizzy.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by bigmo1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2012
Dede, Afam4eva, Acm and Co, you guys are hell bent on continueing the kind of propaganda that killed millions of your fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts. Ojukwu with His own personal ambition led a gullible tribe of people into fighting a war that was not properly planned and we know the end result. Please let the sleeping dog lie o! Cos the next civil war will not be fought with ogbunigwe. Nobody will be spared not even lizards.
Back to the topic:
The nationalization and Indigenization policy became an issue shortly after independence. And this were championed by parliarmentarians from Awo's party. These where the true Pan-Nigerianists who wanted Nigerians to take over every thing that was in control by the British. In their own opinion, it will reflect the sovereignty that has been granted to the new independent Nation. In other words, they were asking for economic and commercial independence just as political independence. Remember these were the same guyz that first moved the motion for independence. Eventual political events, witch hunting of opposition on trumped up treason charges, military coup and counter coups and the Biafra war overshadowed the clamour for the policy. Few years after the war, enacting the policy became an issue again and this was championed by Ime Ebong, Allison Ayida, and Phillip Asiodu, who were all ministers in Gowon's govt and none of them is from the south west. It is true that most yorubas became owners of most the companies not because of Awolowo like some idioits are trying to make us believe.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
"Clever one"! Was the awolowo's 20pounds policy against ndigbos and the confiscation of their entire lives savings also an "issue shortly after the independent" which awolowo carried out after the war? I will just ignore your other stup!p rantings or threats for now.
big mo: Dede, Afam4eva, Acm and Co, you guys are hell bent on continueing the kind of propaganda that killed millions of your fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts. Ojukwu with His own personal ambition led a gullible tribe of people into fighting a war that was not properly planned and we know the end result. Please let the sleeping dog lie o! Cos the next civil war will not be fought with ogbunigwe. Nobody will be spared not even lizards.
Back to the topic:
The nationalization and Indigenization policy became an issue shortly after independence. And this were championed by parliarmentarians from Awo's party. These where the true Pan-Nigerianists who wanted Nigerians to take over every thing that was in control by the British. In their own opinion, it will reflect the sovereignty that has been granted to the new independent Nation. In other words, they were asking for economic and commercial independence just as political independence. Remember these were the same guyz that first moved the motion for independence. Eventual political events, witch hunting of opposition on trumped up treason charges, military coup and counter coups and the Biafra war overshadowed the clamour for the policy. Few years after the war, enacting the policy became an issue again and this was championed by Ime Ebong, Allison Ayida, and Phillip Asiodu, who were all ministers in Gowon's govt and none of them is from the south west. It is true that most yorubas became owners of most the companies not because of Awolowo like some idioits are trying to make us believe.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 3:57pm On Aug 26, 2012
AK 48:

Unfortunately enough,ur ability to comprehend is too poor and" absolute zero"level.didn't you read where the op said the all igbos were given 20 €?
How many shares can 20€ buy?
I like people quashing arguement with a superior one.

£20 were given to the priviledged few.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by mpumalanga: 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Look, as far as I'm concerned, it was bad timing or if you like, incompetence and blindness to the plight of others - but the conspiracy aspect of things only holds water if you believe that carrying out the nationalization was predicated only on things ending up the way they did after the war. But after reading up on the background of this drive to indigenization, I genuinely don't believe that the war had to happen for it to happen. For example, Awolowo called for nationalization (indigenization) while in the opposition in the federal legislature in 1961. If the ruling coalition had adopted his more extreme position even back then, instead of the more moderate approach they were pursuing, nobody would even be discussing this right now. I simply don't see the nationalization process as being predicated on or carried out because of the economic downfall of the eastern region, especially since the alleged principal conspirator (Awolowo) didn't even care if the NPC and NCNC were in control of government while nationalization was carried out. That's my point of view. Clearly you have your own view of things and we're not going to agree, so let's leave it at that.

We are not going to agree because there is nothing to agree on.Justifying it because awo called for nationalization earlier
can not hold to me because even if it was done by NPC and NCNC,they will not limit the financial capacity of any group so that they
will not participate but the gurus and sages did it first before embarking on such policy.Iam surprised that you will call
your well adored tacticians and geniuses incompetent and blind to the plight of others just to reduce their covert intentions
to a mere oversight.Ok, let us say that in one nigeria which you represent fiercely,there are many oversight geniuses that can
only apply it in IGBO matters.lol
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I might not argue convincinly that the Indigenization/nationalization policy was a "deliberate conspiracy", but I can say that it is a "subtle opportunistic conspiracy". You might use "bad timing" to refer to the policy, but I choose "opportunism". Awolowo decided to kill two birds with one stone by enforcing the policy when his rival tribe was economically incapacitated. I can't say for sure that Awolowo had indigenisation policy in mind when he enacted the £20 policy. I will defend my use of "subtle opportunistic conspiracy" by starting with £20 policy.

1. The 20 pound policy was crafted in the context of the power struggles that wrecked our nation. These power struggles had, above all, an ETHNIC coloration, especially between the Hausa-Fulani, the Yoruba and the Igbo. That struggles were the reason, above all, why the Biafran war of brother against brother was fought in such an utterly barbaric and wicked way. When the war ended, the players did not change. They did not convert into saints overnight. Ethnic warlords merely pursued their Power agenda in different ways, using, for example, the 20 pound policy and the indigenization decree.

2. Biafra was NOT a Banana Republic. It may have lost the war, but it was not a lawless entity. It had a functional Government. It had functional institutions. It had an Economic and Monetary Framework. Above all, it had a Central Bank that issued and controlled legal tender. Before they announced the 20 pound policy, they DID ask people to deposit ALL the money -including Biafran Pounds, in banks, abi? This were now Nigerian Banks, not Biafran banks, remember? So they know how much money that was in circulation. Remember that they insisted on only exchanging the money in the banks deposited before the deadline.

3. Biafran currency was NOT printed inside Biafra. They were printed in Portugal and Switzerland. The same way that Nigeria prints Naira in France. Therefore there was no rogue money in circulation.
Biafran money was a SCARCE commodity in Biafra! Sometimes, Biafran Banks were closed for days on end , because, they had no Biafran cash to dispense. When they did open, they often had to ration withdrawals. Everybody knew this. The Economists on the Federal side knew this

4. Awolowo's argument that Biafran money will overwhelm the Nigerian economy does not hold water. When the war ended, the Nigerian nation acquired another 16 million citizens -who were already using some form of money. Its like the EU absorbing Greece or Turkey. You do a straightforward currency exchange, however determined. Is it rocket science ?? This fake difficulty was invented by Awolowo and his gangs to justify £20 policy.

5. At the end of the war, people DID expect Nigeria to exchange the Biafran Pound with the Nigerian Pound. Now, most people thought that the Feds would use some ridiculous exchange -something like 20 Biafran Pounds to one Nigerian Pound. Greedy and opportunistic speculators expected the Government to be wicked, but even they, they prepared to make a kill, and in anticipation of an exchange, they purchased Biafran Pounds at the rate of £50 Biafran Pounds to £1 Nigerian Pound. Guess what? Awolowo and his Economists broke the ALL the record and expectations - even the one set by uber-greedy speculators!!! They delivered a fiat 20 pound policy to the priviledged few who had bank accounts!!! Even the speculators went broke!

(to be continued)
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 5:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
Just like I remarked in my previous post, I'm unsure if Awolowo had indigenization policy in mind when £20 policy was enforced. Awo woke up after £20 policy to discover that the economic backbone of his rival tribe has been broken. He decided to make a kill by promulgating indigenization policy knowing fully well that it will mostly benefit his kinsmen cos he's well aware that his kinsmen has displaced their rival tribe from the apex of the economic pyramid in the country. He made the time so short so that the easterners will not recover to fully participate in the indigenisation policy. Remember that it's been 12yrs since independence, so why the mad rush to nationalize foreign companies? Why wont a provision be made for the people who are still recovering from the war to participate in the process? Can you see that the policy was "opportunistic"? Though Awolowo may/may not have the policy in mind when he set out to reduce Igbo millionaires to £20 owners, but at the end of the day, he achieved his aim of fatally weakening his rival tribe, then displacing them for good from the upper echelon of the economic pyramid. So he killed two birds with one stone. So his policy can be labelled "subtle opportunistic conspiracy".

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 5:53pm On Aug 26, 2012
big mo: Dede, Afam4eva, Acm and Co, you guys are hell bent on continueing the kind of propaganda that killed millions of your fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts. Ojukwu with His own personal ambition led a gullible tribe of people into fighting a war that was not properly planned and we know the end result. Please let the sleeping dog lie o! Cos the next civil war will not be fought with ogbunigwe. Nobody will be spared not even lizards.
Back to the topic:

You should have stayed here long enough to know that impotent threats don't move me, rather I'm moved by the power of argument. Yes, I want the Igbo youths to know their history to avoid its repetition. Since you promised to kill all of us down to the lizard, wont it be wise for us to let our youths to know their history? undecided
BTW, Awo was tried in a civilian court of law and imprisoned for planning to overthrow the elected government. Remember that he also planned to overthrow IBB. So don't bother to defend the indefensible. We are well aware of his antecedent lust for power.

Why do you guys like to deflect blame? The one you cannot deflect are apportioned. Even when u apportion blames, you assign yourself minimal role. When it's obvious that u takes larger share of the blame. How can you blame someone in another ministry for a policy that was carried out in Awo's ministry? undecided This is getting comical. Be man enough and accept that Awo's behaviour is embarrasing.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
Whether Awolowo did it deliberately or not-what's the fuss all about? When Ibo knew they dominated everything Pre-War, why did they embark on such a war? Did Awolowo push them to war or declare the war for them or under obligation to fight the war for them?

When Awolowo called for nationalization (indigenisation policy) of foreign businesses as a leader of federal Oppostion, why didn't they implement his policy when Zik was a prominent leader at the centre and right there to protect his interests and that of his people? Did Awolowo also prevent them from executing the policy then? Now did Awolowo single handedly roll out indigenisation policy or was part of government that executed the policy? Why single Awolowo out for your misery and short sightedness of your leaders?

You expected to come back to work that was abandoned for three years! The companies should have reserved slots for Igbos knowing fully well they would lose the war and come for their posts? Or wait a minute, the new recruits should have vacated their position for the returning employees after the war? Do you guys at times check the logical soundness of some of these stuffs you generously posted on internet? Or you expect the government to wait for five years, 10 years, or 20years etc because the war has just ended before implementing the policy? It's even laughable that some of you guys expected the government to recognize Biafran pound and thus exchanged it when the country itself was not recognized. How logical!

You guys fought an unnecessary war, a kind of war that a good leader would not have declared. You were not doing badly before the war in politics, economics and even representation in the military. You destroyed everything with that nonsensical war and put the blame on Awolowo. You won't blame your leaders, Awolowo is the evil one you know.

Awolowo was not called a sage and political wizard for nothing. The North though have the money post civil war but lacked the wisdom that education brings in investment. The West had the knowledge, the wisdom and promptly seized the moment to buy into stocks. There is nexus between politics and economics for as long as you are relevant economically there is a chance a political breakthrough might occur. Go and lick your wounds. Now tell NOI to bring a policy that would favor Igbos abi she no get Harvard degree?

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 6:43pm On Aug 26, 2012
Prof Corruption: Whether Awolowo did it deliberately or not-what's the fuss all about? When Ibo knew they dominated everything Pre-War, why did they embark on such a war? Did Awolowo push them to war or declare the war for them or under obligation to fight the war for them?

When Awolowo called for nationalization (indigenisation policy) of foreign businesses as a leader of federal Oppostion, why didn't they implement his policy when Zik was a prominent leader at the centre and right there to protect his interests and that of his people? Did Awolowo also prevent them from executing the policy then? Now did Awolowo single handedly roll out indigenisation policy or was part of government that executed the policy? Why single Awolowo out for your misery and short sightedness of your leaders?

You expected to come back to work that was abandoned for three years! The companies should have reserved slots for Igbos knowing fully well they would lose the war and come for their posts? Or wait a minute, the new recruits should have vacated their position for the returning employees after the war? Do you guys at times check the logical soundness of some of these stuffs you generously posted on internet? Or you expect the government to wait for five years, 10 years, or 20years etc because the war has just ended before implementing the policy? It's even laughable that some of you guys expected the government to recognize Biafran pound and thus exchanged it when the country itself was not recognized. How logical!

You guys fought an unnecessary war, a kind of war that a good leader would not have declared. You were not doing badly before the war in politics, economics and even representation in the military. You destroyed everything with that nonsensical war and put the blame on Awolowo. You won't blame your leaders, Awolowo is the evil one you know.

Awolowo was not called a sage and political wizard for nothing. The North though have the money post civil war but lacked the wisdom that education brings in investment. The West had the knowledge, the wisdom and promptly seized the moment to buy into stocks. There is nexus between politics and economics for as long as you are relevant economically there is a chance a political breakthrough might occur. Go and lick your wounds. Now tell NOI to bring a policy that would favor Igbos abi she no get Harvard degree?

First of all; Nigeria declared war on Biafra, not the other way round. Brush up with your history before throwing careless comments.

Secondly, I'm yet to see a proof that Awo asked for nationalisation of foreign companies prior to war. Give me a concrete proof. Don't bother to post falsified article from obscure site.

Thirdly, going by your so-called sound logic, why did Nigeria exchange Biafran pounds with £20? Since they did not recognise the Biafran pounds. They should not have exchanged at all. You guys continue to come up with ridiculous excuses for your actions from your dead leader down to man on the street

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 26, 2012
ACM10:

First of all; Nigeria declared war on Biafra, not the other way round. Brush up with your history before throwing careless comments.

Secondly, I'm yet to see a proof that Awo asked for nationalisation of foreign companies prior to war. Give me a concrete proof. Don't bother to post falsified article from obscure site.

Thirdly, going by your so-called sound logic, why did Nigeria exchange Biafran pounds with £20? Since they did not recognise the Biafran pounds. They should not have exchanged at all. You guys continue to come up with ridiculous excuses for your actions from your dead leader down to man on the street

Great! Who rejected the inclusion of secession clause in Nigerian constitution? Who advocated that the clause be included? Did Nigerian constitution permit secession? If any part of Nigerian federation secedes, what's the role of the military-fold their arms and watch helplessly or assert to defend the country? The question you should answer is simple: why did Nigeria declare war on Biafra?

A better way to disprove that is to actually post a link or an article where Awolowo was against indigenisation policy. That's what would help your position. If Awolowo had opposed the idea and suddenly made a 360 degree to implement, then it would have been a different ball game. So you have a hint. Start working on it.

The £20 policy: the Igbos should forever be grateful to Awolowo. He was not under any obligation be it law, moral or whatever to even exchange the pound. He did it out of what I would call compassion for the war ravaged people and nothing more. What would have happened if Gowon Government did not implement such policy? Were you guys in any position to advocate for anything? Was there or is there a global convention that regulate such? You write some of these things as if the government was obligated to do them.

Did Igbos ask for the three Rs-Reconstruction, Reconciliation and Rehabilitation after the war? Were you guys for heavens sake in a position to negotiate for anything at all? Such policies were implemented out of pity to help some of the folks started life again. If anything, you should be grateful to Awolowo.

4 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 8:10pm On Aug 26, 2012
Noiseless2: You can clearly see how you yourself is finding it very difficult to fit in your argument on this topic since you decided to come to the rescue. But one thing you still haven't explained or you ignored is how a people whose entire savings were confiscated and handed to few of them only bloody 20pounds by the same government regardless of tens of thousands or millions they had in the nigerian banks be able to participate in the program? Not even mentioning those who were murdered in cold blood or while trying to escape for their dear lives, bear in mind they were not able to take their savings to igboland as tens of thousands of them could not even make it to igboland alive, let alone taking their lives savings or properties with them. Your effort to try to make sense on this topic really has reduced you to zero am afraid, this people were only asking their individual sweats (savings)which they left in banks to escape for their dear lives before the war. Why is it that nigerians are so evil minded that they can't help but to look for a way to always twist everything about the war in order to justify their act of shame? Yet you would rather want Igbos forget about the war,but you won't be courageous enough to be honest about it.

You're confused. First, I didn't come in with any argument much less "come to the rescue" especially considering that I pointed out that the ethnic concerns raised by the article from the opening part of this thread were also raised by a relatively contemporary study of the indigenization process in 1983. I actually referenced two articles which I said the starter of this thread should consult and use to reach his own conclusion on whether there was a conspiracy or a failure and an oversight. I only made the later comment you just quoted after mpumalanga made a snide/sarcastic remark about my comment. If not for his comment, I would have just watched as ACM reached his own conclusion and made his own comments on the articles I referenced without justifying my interpretation.

Now to the rest of your comment, I don't know if you have difficulty reading or something, but I actually acknowledged in multiple places that the process was unfair so I don't know what it is you think your comment is saying that is corrective to or contrary to my position.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 8:19pm On Aug 26, 2012
mpumalanga:

We are not going to agree because there is nothing to agree on.Justifying it because awo called for nationalization earlier
can not hold to me because even if it was done by NPC and NCNC,they will not limit the financial capacity of any group so that they
will not participate but the gurus and sages did it first before embarking on such policy.Iam surprised that you will call
your well adored tacticians and geniuses incompetent and blind to the plight of others just to reduce their covert intentions
to a mere oversight.Ok, let us say that in one nigeria which you represent fiercely,there are many oversight geniuses that can
only apply it in IGBO matters.lol

lol, when I have really called Awolowo or Gowon a genius? I don't think you're familiar with my post history, but whatever. . .obviously you'll say anything to make your point regardless of how far off the mark it is.

The point is, the conspiracy angle/interpretation looks weak when the apparent political leader of the apparently conspiratorial group and the supposed master conspirator singled out in the article posted in the opening part of the thread actually wanted the nationalization to begin as soon as possible, regardless of who was ruling or whether the opposing political parties had control of government. That doesn't mean that embarking on the policy right after the war was actually sensible though.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 8:30pm On Aug 26, 2012
ACM10:

I might not argue convincinly that the Indigenization/nationalization policy was a "deliberate conspiracy", but I can say that it is a "subtle opportunistic conspiracy". You might use "bad timing" to refer to the policy, but I choose "opportunism". Awolowo decided to kill two birds with one stone by enforcing the policy when his rival tribe was economically incapacitated. I can't say for sure that Awolowo had indigenisation policy in mind when he enacted the £20 policy. I will defend my use of "subtle opportunistic conspiracy" by starting with £20 policy.

1. The 20 pound policy was crafted in the context of the power struggles that wrecked our nation. These power struggles had, above all, an ETHNIC coloration, especially between the Hausa-Fulani, the Yoruba and the Igbo. That struggles were the reason, above all, why the Biafran war of brother against brother was fought in such an utterly barbaric and wicked way. When the war ended, the players did not change. They did not convert into saints overnight. Ethnic warlords merely pursued their Power agenda in different ways, using, for example, the 20 pound policy and the indigenization decree.

2. Biafra was NOT a Banana Republic. It may have lost the war, but it was not a lawless entity. It had a functional Government. It had functional institutions. It had an Economic and Monetary Framework. Above all, it had a Central Bank that issued and controlled legal tender. Before they announced the 20 pound policy, they DID ask people to deposit ALL the money -including Biafran Pounds, in banks, abi? This were now Nigerian Banks, not Biafran banks, remember? So they know how much money that was in circulation. Remember that they insisted on only exchanging the money in the banks deposited before the deadline.

3. Biafran currency was NOT printed inside Biafra. They were printed in Portugal and Switzerland. The same way that Nigeria prints Naira in France. Therefore there was no rogue money in circulation.
Biafran money was a SCARCE commodity in Biafra! Sometimes, Biafran Banks were closed for days on end , because, they had no Biafran cash to dispense. When they did open, they often had to ration withdrawals. Everybody knew this. The Economists on the Federal side knew this

4. Awolowo's argument that Biafran money will overwhelm the Nigerian economy does not hold water. When the war ended, the Nigerian nation acquired another 16 million citizens -who were already using some form of money. Its like the EU absorbing Greece or Turkey. You do a straightforward currency exchange, however determined. Is it rocket science ?? This fake difficulty was invented by Awolowo and his gangs to justify £20 policy.

5. At the end of the war, people DID expect Nigeria to exchange the Biafran Pound with the Nigerian Pound. Now, most people thought that the Feds would use some ridiculous exchange -something like 20 Biafran Pounds to one Nigerian Pound. Greedy and opportunistic speculators expected the Government to be wicked, but even they, they prepared to make a kill, and in anticipation of an exchange, they purchased Biafran Pounds at the rate of £50 Biafran Pounds to £1 Nigerian Pound. Guess what? Awolowo and his Economists broke the ALL the record and expectations - even the one set by uber-greedy speculators!!! They delivered a fiat 20 pound policy to the priviledged few who had bank accounts!!! Even the speculators went broke!

(to be continued)

This is a pretty good argument for your position. 20 pounds is a completely arbitrary figure and I have never seen a rational justification for it. After reading this, while I still don't consider the indigenization process an ethnic conspiracy simply because I think those accused of the conspiracy just wanted to carry it out by all means, regardless of who was in control, I do think that enacting it at that time shows that the political leaders at the time had a complete disregard for the plight of those recovering from the war.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 8:32pm On Aug 26, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Great! Who rejected the inclusion of secession clause in Nigerian constitution? Who advocated that the clause be included? Did Nigerian constitution permit secession? If any part of Nigerian federation secedes, what's the role of the military-fold their arms and watch helplessly or assert to defend the country? The question you should answer is simple: why did Nigeria declare war on Biafra?
It's high time I investigate this Awolowo "secession clause" claim. It's becoming too spontaneous for my comfort. I've not read it in any of the books that dealt on that topic. I only read it online. Just like other Yoruba default response, it might fail my truth test. I might even open a thread on it.

A better way to disprove that is to actually post a link or an article where Awolowo was against indigenisation policy. That's what would help your position. If Awolowo had opposed the idea and suddenly made a 360 degree to implement, then it would have been a different ball game. So you have a hint. Start working on it.
Bros, the onus is on you to support your claim that Awolowo is a prominent proponent of nationalization of foreign companies. Why do u guys make claims and expect me to get evidence to support it? undecided

The £20 policy: the Igbos should forever be grateful to Awolowo. He was not under any obligation be it law, moral or whatever to even exchange the pound. He did it out of what I would call compassion for the war ravaged people and nothing more. What would have happened if Gowon Government did not implement such policy? Were you guys in any position to advocate for anything? Was there or is there a global convention that regulate such? You write some of these things as if the government was obligated to do them.
Really?

Did Igbos ask for the three Rs-Reconstruction, Reconciliation and Rehabilitation after the war? Were you guys for heavens sake in a position to negotiate for anything at all? Such policies were implemented out of pity to help some of the folks started life again. If anything, you should be grateful to Awolowo.
£20 policy is meant to help some folks start life again. I dey laff o. I thank God that all the Awolowo's machinations backfired spectacularly on him and his tribe. His name is forever written in the Igbos book of infamy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

‘High Value Terrorists’ Killed as NAF Itensifies Bombardment of Sambisa Forest / World Bank Officials Drown In Nigeria's In Egbe Dam In Egbe Ekiti / 2023 Presidency: Goodluck Jonathan Not Declaring - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.