Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers (5328 Views)

The Rise Of Christianity. The Misunderstanding Of Emperor Constantine / The Cowardice Of Christianity (re; The Cowardice Of Atheism) / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 11:36am On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

If the child is preaching about the cartoon version of Moses parting the red sea, no problem.

We are talking of the real bible that talks about sexual relationships, sacrifice, death by crucifixion, slavery etc. An 11 year old can not fully understand such things
How do you know this for sure?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 11:37am On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
How do you know this for sure?

I was a christain for 22 years

I was preached to for 22 years

I know what is in the bible
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 11:39am On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

I was a christain for 22 years

I was preached to for 22 years

I know what is in the bible
That doesn't answer my question.
How do you know what an 11 year old can or cannot understand?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 11:43am On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
That doesn't answer my question.
How do you know what an 11 year old can or cannot understand?

The 11 year old does not have both physical and mental experience to understand what sex, slavery and marriage are about.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 11:49am On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

The 11 year old does not have both physical and mental experience to understand what sex, slavery and marriage are about.
You are still making claims but you still haven't told me how you know exactly what experience an 11 year old can have and cannot have.

The question is not: What do you know?
The question is: How do you know?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 11:55am On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You are still making claims but you still haven't told me how you know exactly what experience an 11 year old can have and cannot have.

The question is not: What do you know?
The question is: How do you know?

Logical deduction.

An 11 year old

-No adult responsibility of paying taxes
-No adult responsibility of getting married and taking care of a spouse
-Is probably a virgin, if not the 11 year old is a spoilt child
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 11:59am On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Logical deduction.

An 11 year old

-No adult responsibility of paying taxes
-No adult responsibility of getting married and taking care of a spouse
-Is probably a virgin, if not the 11 year old is a spoilt child
Here are your fallacies.
Not being responsible for paying taxes does not equal not knowing about taxes besides a pastor is not a tax advisor the same fallacy applies to your second and third points
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 12:03pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Here are your fallacies.
Not being responsible for paying taxes does not equal not knowing about taxes besides a pastor is not a tax advisor the same fallacy applies to your second and third points

a) Give unto Caesar........ Can the 11 year old really understand what it is to dislike taxes and tax collectors?

b) Marriage counsellors study marriages and many of them married themselves. Experience is neccessary. Keep fooling yourself.

c) Can an 11 year old really tell someone to be chaste when the 11 year old doesnt know how addictive and pleasurable sex can be?

Please, do not try to debate with me, you end up getting debunked.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 12:21pm On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

a) Give unto Caesar........ Can the 11 year old really understand what it is to dislike taxes and tax collectors?

b) Marriage counsellors study marriages and many of them married themselves. Experience is neccessary. Keep fooling yourself.

c) Can an 11 year old really tell someone to be chaste when the 11 year old doesnt know how addictive and pleasurable sex can be?

Please, do not try to debate with me, you end up getting debunked.
You are still running on assumptions about what an 11 year old can/cannot know. Secondly, it is not the primary duty of a pastor to give relationship/marriage or tax advice. What is required of a pastor is: does he have proper understanding of scripture?

To properly deliver an argument on this, you must objectively show how an 11 year old cannot possibly understand scripture. Should you succeed in doing this, then we can have a debate but should you fail, then you really have nothing to talk about.

Shouting "debunked" until you are blue in the face will not change anything.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by thehomer: 12:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
BĂ©lla3: and wh.o says its for life advise?

So if the boy gives you a message about someone to marry, will you ignore it?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Avicenna: 12:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
#Unrelated#

How are you sure a snake cannot talk?
You do not know what love is?

@Macdaddy

Remember?
#unrelated#
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 31, 2012
There is nothing wrong with child preachers because they are just doing the same things the adult preachers do.
All you need to do to be a good preacher is to imbibe the myths and legends in the bible, have the gift of gab, and be generally charismatic. Since the figure they refer to as god is said to have been a "child genius", there is nothing wrong with children possessing the same "gifts" as him. It's just a "sign" of their god's blessings.

Religion is bullsh#t to begin with, so what does it matter who serves the bullsh#t to the sheep?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You are still running on assumptions about what an 11 year old can/cannot know. Secondly, it is not the primary duty of a pastor to give relationship/marriage or tax advice. What is required of a pastor is: does he have proper understanding of scripture?

To properly deliver an argument on this, you must objectively show how an 11 year old cannot possibly understand scripture. Should you succeed in doing this, then we can have a debate but should you fail, then you really have nothing to talk about.

Shouting "debunked" until you are blue in the face will not change anything.

See how Anony tries to dodge the debunking bullet?

1) Marriage and sexual relationships are sigbificant areas in which the bible covers. If an 11 year old can not understand sex and relationships, what is he doing teaching the bible to adults?

2) Why play the strawman of tax advice? I am telling you that the boy can not explain the issues with tax collectors as mentioned in the gospel.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 5:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

See how Anony tries to dodge the debunking bullet?

1) Marriage and sexual relationships are sigbificant areas in which the bible covers. If an 11 year old can not understand sex and relationships, what is he doing teaching the bible to adults?

2) Why play the strawman of tax advice? I am telling you that the boy can not explain the issues with tax collectors as mentioned in the gospel.

Let me make it clearer for you.

The gospel is about how God loved us so much that He gave us the gift of His Son so that whoever believes in Him will be saved. That is the core. Other things are peripheral.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 6:39pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Let me make it clearer for you.

The gospel is about how God loved us so much that He gave us the gift of His Son so that whoever believes in Him will be saved. That is the core. Other things are peripheral.

does an 11 year old understand what torture and sacrifice of a human life is?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 6:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

What if he does? how can you know if he does or doesn't?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:

It doesn't matter what the boy understands. All he has to do is appeal to their emotions effectively and that's all the skill that's needed. A child is qualified to teach them because what they are being taught doesn't require a high intellectual ability to teach or accept. All he has to do is repeat what's in the book and go through the same gyrations and rhetoric the adults go through on stage.

You're the one placing preachers on a pedestal by saying a child is not qualified to teach as if there is any qualification needed to tell fantastic stories.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by wiegraf: 8:50pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
What if he does? how can you know if he does or doesn't?

I need to fight abeg mr anony.

You misunderstood me earlier. I compare a pastor to a community leader. Would you have an 11 year old community leader?
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 9:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
Martian:

It doesn't matter what the boy understands. All he has to do is appeal to their emotions effectively and that's all the skill that's needed. A child is qualified to teach them because what they are being taught doesn't require a high intellectual ability to teach or accept. All he has to do is repeat what's in the book and go through the same gyrations and rhetoric the adults go through on stage.

You're the one placing preachers on a pedestal by saying a child is not qualified to teach as if there any qualification is needed to tell fantastic stories.

I stand corrected sir!

Your extraterrestrial intelligence is magnificent!

Hail Xenu!
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
MacDaddy01:
I stand corrected sir!
Your extraterrestrial intelligence is magnificent!
Hail Xenu!

Hail Xenu? I'm not Tom cruise!
o, praise THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN instead.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 9:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
Martian:

Hail Xenu? I'm not Tom cruise!
o, praise THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN instead.

Lmao!

No probs!
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 9:51pm On Aug 31, 2012
wiegraf:

I need to fight abeg mr anony.

You misunderstood me earlier. I compare a pastor to a community leader. Would you have an 11 year old community leader?
As long as he/she knows his onions. Yes.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 10:00pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Anony, you have lost the debate....I stopped replying you when you were trying to imply that an 11 year old can fully understand torture and human sacrifice.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by wiegraf: 11:38pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:

An 11 year old cannot know his onions as far as being a community leader is concerned. He simply cannot be experienced enough, and leadership of that sort requires experience as well as technical skill. For instance, there's no way he could have a sufficient grasp of emotions at that age, and emotions play a key part in peoples motivations/actions. He'd likely be inexperienced with dealing with folk from other cultures/backgrounds as well. Etc etc etc. Even the good ol' despots, who were sometimes revered as gods, usually weren't allowed to rule at 11. There'd be some sort of system responsible till the kid turned 16 or so.

I will admit I've said nothing objective here, but it's highly unlikely an 11 year old could have the qualities required to be a community leader. If internally you guys were happy with it then well, who are we to talk. But if you had to deal with other groups and you sent out an 11 year old to represent you you'd be ridiculed.

Then again, I see muslims make posters of some kids. Supposedly the kids are special because they memorized text (gibberish to those who don't speak arabic) along with their abcs. What's that about?

Random: wth I skipped d match thinking friendly, so meh. Wth happened to chel$ki?!
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MacDaddy01: 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Anony, you have lost the debate....I stopped replying you when you were trying to imply that an 11 year old can fully understand torture and human sacrifice.
Wow, I didn't know we were involved in a debate of which victory belonged to the one who stopped responding first...lol. You never stop to amuse me.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 5:22pm On Sep 01, 2012
wiegraf:

An 11 year old cannot know his onions as far as being a community leader is concerned. He simply cannot be experienced enough, and leadership of that sort requires experience as well as technical skill. For instance, there's no way he could have a sufficient grasp of emotions at that age, and emotions play a key part in peoples motivations/actions. He'd likely be inexperienced with dealing with folk from other cultures/backgrounds as well. Etc etc etc. Even the good ol' despots, who were sometimes revered as gods, usually weren't allowed to rule at 11. There'd be some sort of system responsible till the kid turned 16 or so.

I will admit I've said nothing objective here, but it's highly unlikely an 11 year old could have the qualities required to be a community leader. If internally you guys were happy with it then well, who are we to talk. But if you had to deal with other groups and you sent out an 11 year old to represent you you'd be ridiculed.

Then again, I see muslims make posters of some kids. Supposedly the kids are special because they memorized text (gibberish to those who don't speak arabic) along with their abcs. What's that about?

Random: wth I skipped d match thinking friendly, so meh. Wth happened to chel$ki?!
Mehn, Chelsea were resoundingly thrashed by Falcao (don't worry we'll soon buy him). I've been in mourning for my club since.....Oh well, never mind.

Back to the argument: I am glad that you do realize that you can't objectively determine the abilities of a kid until he has been tested. It doesn't matter if the kid is ridiculed. What matters is that the child has the ability and you cannot judge his ability merely by observing his picture
......That's what I have been trying to get macdaddy to understand. Unfortunately his bias blinds him to reason.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by wiegraf: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Mehn, Chelsea were resoundingly thrashed by Falcao (don't worry we'll soon buy him). I've been in mourning for my club since.....Oh well, never mind.

Back to the argument: I am glad that you do realize that you can't objectively determine the abilities of a kid until he has been tested. It doesn't matter if the kid is ridiculed. What matters is that the child has the ability and you cannot judge his ability merely by observing his picture
......That's what I have been trying to get macdaddy to understand. Unfortunately his bias blinds him to reason.

Actually if you're cool with the ridicule, you aren't giving me much to work it. Still unlikely mature enough, etc, but I'll leave it... For now
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 6:01pm On Sep 01, 2012
wiegraf:

Actually if you're cool with the ridicule, you aren't giving me much to work it. Still unlikely mature enough, etc, but I'll leave it... For now
"ridicule" and "unlikely mature" says absolutely nothing about ability......Yeah I'll leave it at this as well.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by wiegraf: 6:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
"ridicule" and "unlikely mature" says absolutely nothing about ability......Yeah I'll leave it at this as well.

No no no no, come back. This isn't a technical issue, it's one that requires experience with real life issues, ability to deal with people on various complicated matters. Elect an 11 year old as presido, ok lga chairman. How do you expect a pre-pubescent to legislate on issues like morality? Subjective topics? Yes. But still, odds of him being any good are astronomically low, unless the topic is one of little merit like the martian facetiously implies. Such as the best strategy to use while playing cops and robbers, ten ten, which is the most powerful power ranger? Etc, etc

And now the merry-go-round begins, ie assuming you as immature as I am
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by MrAnony1(m): 7:03pm On Sep 01, 2012
wiegraf:

No no no no, come back. This isn't a technical issue, it's one that requires experience with real life issues, ability to deal with people on various complicated matters. Elect an 11 year old as presido, ok lga chairman. How do you expect a pre-pubescent to legislate on issues like morality? Subjective topics? Yes. But still, odds of him being any good are astronomically low, unless the topic is one of little merit like the martian facetiously implies. Such as the best strategy to use while playing cops and robbers, ten ten, which is the most powerful power ranger? Etc, etc

And now the merry-go-round begins, ie assuming you as immature as I am

Lol, we really shouldn't go into arguments we cannot find an end to.

My stance is that If the kid has the ability, no one should deny him the position. Note: I am not affirming that the kid has the ability, neither am I saying that he doesn't. All I am saying is that ability is the denominator here not age.

You on the other hand is saying that it is unlikely that the kid has the ability. Note: you are also not saying that the kid has the ability or that he doesn't have the ability. What then are we arguing about?

Unless you are ready to hold the position that merely by being 11 years old, a kid should not be given certain responsibilities irrespective of whether he has the ability or not, then we really have no bone of contention.
Re: The Odd Side Of Christianity; Child Preachers by wiegraf: 7:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, we really shouldn't go into arguments we cannot find an end to.

My stance is that If the kid has the ability, no one should deny him the position. Note: I am not affirming that the kid has the ability, neither am I saying that he doesn't. All I am saying is that ability is the denominator here not age.

You on the other hand is saying that it is unlikely that the kid has the ability. Note: you are also not saying that the kid has the ability or that he doesn't have the ability. What then are we arguing about?

Unless you are ready to hold the position that merely by being 11 years old, a kid should not be given certain responsibilities irrespective of whether he has the ability or not, then we really have no bone of contention.

But what of my ego?

I'll bump older thread, re: problem of evil

www.nairaland.com/1009338/succinctly-anony/4#12022774

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Truth Concerning Temptation / Phone Contacts For Booking Of These Gospel Artists / Why Do People Lie Against God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.