Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport (1092 Views)

General Murtala Mohammed's Burial And Corpse (Photos) / Custom Officers Kill Girl In Sango Ota, Ogun State(Graphic Photos) / Pictures Of Murtala Mohammed International Terminal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport by Dshepherdboy: 12:37am On Aug 30, 2012
I just came back from the US this week, after spending over two hours waiting for my luggage, I got pulled over by our custom officers as I was about the leave the airport. They asked me to open my bag which I did, they saw cloths with I bought for my family including the cloths i travelled with and started asking me ridiculous questions like, where is the receipt for the cloths? Have I paid import duty for the cloths? Do I know that if I buy items worth more than N50,000 I have to pay import duty?

Guys please tell me, what concerns our custom officers with what I bought for my family?
Re: Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport by Freewilly(f): 12:41am On Aug 30, 2012
Is this news or is his your first time leaving Nigeria?
Re: Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport by dasparrow: 3:53am On Aug 30, 2012
Dshepherdboy: I just came back from the US this week, after spending over two hours waiting for my luggage, I got pulled over by our custom officers as I was about the leave the airport. They asked me to open my bag which I did, they saw cloths with I bought for my family including the cloths i travelled with and started asking me ridiculous questions like, where is the receipt for the cloths? Have I paid import duty for the cloths? Do I know that if I buy items worth more than N50,000 I have to pay import duty?

Guys please tell me, what concerns our custom officers with what I bought for my family?

Don't mind them. They are just jealous. It can't be easy for them (customs) watching their fellow compatriots travel to the western world when many of the custom officers themselves have not even been to Togo. You need to see the way custom officers treat Nigerians visiting Nigeria using their american passport. They are treated like crap by the Nigerian custom officers.

Alot of our fellow Nigerians can be very bitter and envious people and many will not hesitate to use their positions at work to make life miserable or unbearable for others. As for me, what I do is ship the items (clothes, shoes, etc) to Nigeria before hand thereby enabling me to travel light. I wrap the items in gift wrap and place a label with the name of the person I am giving the gift to on each wrapped gift. This way, the prying envious eyes of Nigerian custom officials won't know what it is that I purchased for my family members. Shikena!
Re: Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport by Dshepherdboy: 9:41am On Aug 30, 2012
This is the only country in the world (at least from the countries i've visited) whereone is harrased by customs after passing through immigrations. For how long are we going to condone this? Why will i be allowed to travel with a maximum of $10,000 but can only return with N50,000 purchase worth.

Which way Nigeria?
Re: Custom officers Harassing Passengers At Murtala Mohammed International Airport by otokx(m): 11:08am On Aug 30, 2012
Next time pass through either Abuja or Port Harcourt

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Moves To Rescue South West From Political Oblivion / What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? / Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.