Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? (1075 Views)

Emir Sanusi's Response To His Marriage To Saadatu - Theheraldng.com / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Okonjo-Iweala's Response To Charles Soludo's Article / The Most Embrassing/funny Questions Someone Ever Asked You About Nigeria/africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Tadeus(m): 11:19am On Feb 24, 2013
What is your response wen a Nigerian or foreigners asked you "were you from".? I heard people response, even some will mentioned their village name before mentioning Local and State government area. I asked myself, when will Nigerian break up from this boundage of ethnicity.

If you ask someone from Kentucky, the response is "American" The spirit of One Ameriica is there but in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. If any incidence happen in one of Nigeria State, you will hear it on CNN "blah blah happend in Northern Nigeria" but if it is in USA " blah blah happend in Kentucky, USA" nothing like north, south or east America.

Even most of Nigerian in diaspora, if they ask them, they respond "Yoruba Nigeria Or Eastern Nigeria or Northen Nigeria"

My Question is why are we not sensible or bold enough to tell the world that we are Nigerian..?
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by cassyrooy(m): 3:08pm On Feb 24, 2013
Dear Mr Authur, i can't possibly say but it's still clear dat the 'post-War' truama is still dancing 'Azonto' and 'Etihgi' mixed wit 'Alingo' in Naija... But for me I'll still say 'Eastern Nigeria' or Possibly 'Biafran'... Hope i was the first to comment...
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by ifyalways(f): 5:57pm On Feb 24, 2013
I am from my husbands house undecided
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Tadeus(m): 8:25pm On Feb 24, 2013
@ ifyalways

You funny
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by ijawcitizen(m): 2:28am On Feb 25, 2013
I am from Ijawland
Ijawland is my motherland and fatherland
I resist being called a slave/ conquered people's name like "nigerian".

Before nigeria came to being, Ijawland existed
and Ijawland will continue to exist as a free people when nigeria is gone.

God bless Ijawland,
and everywhere else.
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Nobody: 4:05am On Feb 25, 2013
I dont really agree with you. Its only the media that says east, west or north and truth is that ppl watching it dont even differentiate or know what that mean, they see nigeria the way you see india, china etc. Also nigerians dont tell ppl that im igbo, yoruba or hausa except asked, and foreigners that asks are neigbouring countries eg ghana etc or someone that has been to nigeria which are rare to see. Now answer to ur question. It depends on who asks me the question, if a country girl from tx or from middle of russia asks me -I will say im from africa period instead of her wondering where the fuc:k is nigeria.
A middle person from newyork or london ask me I will say im from nigeria. Why because there are chances that the person must have heard of nigeria but dont really know much.
If an african from ghana, cameroun, kenya and very few ask then I can tell him nigeria igbo to be specific or maybe a foreigner that has been to nigeria and wants to know. .
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by saintneo(m): 5:11am On Feb 25, 2013
To a foreigner, I have always said NIGERIA! However, these foreigners are now very aware of our divisions such that they drill deeper with their question. You must be from the southern part - East or West?

To a Nigerian, I am an Igbo person. What state am I from? That's a difficult one to say, because I believe that an Igboman is naturally stateless.
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by ba7man(m): 5:23am On Feb 25, 2013
"I'm a Nigerian". Take it or leave it, i don't owe them my existence. To give any other answer would reveal an inferiority complex.....Or you could get creative and reply "I am a Martian".
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Jarus(m): 10:17am On Feb 25, 2013
If I'm being asked by a non-Nigerian or somebody that doesn't know I'm a Nigerian, my answer will obviously be 'I'm from Nigeria'. But if being asked same question by a Nigerian who knows I'm a Nigerian already, obviously he meant which part of Nigeria I'm from, so I will asnwer him 'I'm from Kwara state'.
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Nobody: 11:11am On Feb 25, 2013
When a Nigerian ask me where am from,i simply say am from Imo state.If na foreigner ask me as they always do when i was crazy about Yahoo Messenger back in those days,i simply say am from Ghana.I remember often times i mentioned being a Nigerian and my foreign friends will just ignore me.well that was way back.Am still proud to be a Nigerian. grin
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Tadeus(m): 2:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ethnicity is our major problem in Nigeria. Till when we belive in one Nigeria before we will have progress.

What is wrong for a Nigerian to tell the world that he/she is a Nigeria and when asked were in Nigeria, you mentioned you state government area not your tribe. Don't we have different tribes in USA.
Re: What Is Your Response When A Nigerian Or Foreigner Asked You "Where You From"..? by Tadeus(m): 9:39am On Feb 26, 2013
I'm a Nigerian". Take it or leave it, i don't owe them my existence. To give any other answer would reveal an inferiority complex.....Or you could get creative and reply "I am a Martian"

If average Nigerians have this common beliv, I think we almost der.

(1) (Reply)

Ndigbo;s Have Begun To Prepare For Another Un Avoidable War. / Why Are Southerners Still In The North?.... / Obasanjo Decries Yar’Adua’s Reversal Of Policies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.