Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

State Police Is Inevitable - ACN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Police Is Inevitable - ACN (5486 Views)

IGP Says Police Is The Least Corrupt Of All Nigerian Institutions / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
olivertwist:

At last...
Olivertwist, You wan start ?
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by warrior01: 1:00pm On Aug 30, 2012
sharp man: Just imagine LASTMA as the police in Lagos state.......
...I jump and pass and it'll not be our portion in Jesus name
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by stillme(m): 1:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
It doesn't make sense if we will be derived of state police because of corrupt governors that will misuse it. Is there no way FG can prevent them from abusing it? When in this world are we going to ripe for state police?
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by olivertwist: 1:07pm On Aug 30, 2012
Billyonaire: Olivertwist, You wan start ?

LOL! Sorry, I thought I was dreaming when I read your post. It's the beginning of a new dawn. I concur with you.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Reptyle(m): 1:11pm On Aug 30, 2012
gonon: Nigeria is not ripe for State police. Our present political landscape will not allow for effective implementation, we already have some form of state police in states like Kano. Hisbah or whatever they are called. Instead of them catching criminals, they were busy destroying alcoholic drinks and flogging women for wearing trousers, etc... So for now, i don't agree at all.

You have a right to your opinion sir. But I disagree with the Kano example you used. The HISBAH is a religious compliance monitoring unit. The law forecloses them from embarking on such adventures as chasing and capturing criminals...they are not even equipped for such pursuits. It is just another organ of the state government setup for a special purpose like you have LASTMA in Lagos. Even in Lagos, LASTMA still has to work with the police in delivering on some of its mandates especially the ones that border on criminal infractions. The Police has had a running battle with various civil militias for what they consider to be attempts hijack the Police mandate of apprehending criminals and bringing them to justice.

The State Police as being advocated is a constitutionally empowered organ of the state government much like you have the central police right now. I opine that the only reason that the FG does not want to go in that direction is that it will see its powers of control over the federating units whittled down drastically. We as citizens have also unwittingly bought into this culture of fear by toeing the same line as the FG to oppose a move that will ensure the devolution of power from the centre and investing same on uswszd, the people.

This oft expressed fear of abuse by the state governors is neither here nor there. The fact is that it is the same thing that is wrong with the centralized structure presently. Common sense dictates therefore that this concern as well as others that may be raised by and by, will be addressed by whatever form of legislation or policy that will support the new security structure. Billions of naira have been sunk into attempts to reform the behemoth called the Nigerian police with very little achieved.

The truth is that there are people at the centre who will continue to ensure that such reforms, especially those seeking to grant some form of autonomy to the police will never succeed because they have vested interests. So all that we have gotten in return for the huge investments over the years is basically a change in uniforms and a perpetuation of the same old regime of corruption. You have states like Lagos state spending a huge chunk of her annual budget funding and equipping the federal police in the state so as to gain a modicum of performance from them, while the commissioner needs to clear every directive from the governor with his principal in Abuja. Isn't this an aberration?

If the FG is really sincere about turning around the security sector around, perhaps this idea of having state police departments should be explored. We really need to move away from this culture of analysis paralysis. Bright ideas are mooted but are often wholly discarded at the level of analysis. Surely, there is no way we can move forward as a nation if we continue to do that. If a concept is not working, let us be courageous enough to try other concepts. It was someone's idea to explore the central police model when he felt the regional structure we had in the 60s/70s was not working. Perhaps the time has come for us to explore other options.

I apologize for the length of this post smiley

1 Like

Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by spendogram: 1:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
May be some states are not ripe for state police. May be they are not ripe to even become states in the first place. But we should bear in mind is that once you are called a state you should have machinery to secure the lives and properties of the residents of that state. Nigeria's inefficiency stems from its over-centralization. If a business were this centralized should we expect it to run profitably?No way.

In reality, if possible, some states should actually be merged because they are not self sufficient and can not even sustain themselves. They always need the Federal Government to provide them everything (including police). Why should they be states in the first place? If it is a business would you create a branch that can not sustain itself? And continue to retain and sustain it decades after decades? The branches are supposed to be self sufficient and are suppose to contribute to the center and not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by kennytidistar(m): 1:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
the wisdom there is the fact that we are not matured enough to operate a state policing let immunity clause be remove from all the governor first and let the see them selves as messager and not god then we can begin to think of state police but for nau, not yet.

because i know some power drunk governor who will miss use it.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Chedarking: 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2012
ACN said State Police is Inevitable...I agree.

It should and it will happen.

But Not NOW!

I see no need to give the SARAKI family State-Sanctioned private Army...
Neither do I have a desire to see Legalized Shariarists in Zamfara acting as Mini Judge Dredds...

Nigeria is still not ready for this yet...
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Chedarking: 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2012
Reptyle:

You have a right to your opinion sir. But I disagree with the Kano example you used. The HISBAH is a religious compliance monitoring unit. The law forecloses them from embarking on such adventures as chasing and capturing criminals smiley

Do you know what SHARIA is?

In Kano, Islam IS the LAW.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by sharpman1(m): 1:42pm On Aug 30, 2012
warrior01:
...I jump and pass and it'll not be our portion in Jesus name

AMEN!!!!! God forbid bad thing.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by zone77(m): 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
Lucy001:

Nigeria as a country is not ripe for a state police yet, reasons are that most governors will miss use it, expecially during elections, citizens who go against their wishes, eg civil society organisations, human right activitst etc, I believe the FG should continue with d mode of deployment of police to various parts of the country.

when will nigeria be ripe 4 state police,lets give it a trial probably 4 1 year nd lets no hw it turns out.nigeria can neva be ripe 4 it unless given a chance.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 30, 2012
olivertwist:

LOL! Sorry, I thought I was dreaming when I read your post. It's the beginning of a new dawn. I concur with you.
Am no hypocrite. I say it the way it is. When I was singing praises of GEJ, you were not using my political telescope. I was singing the praises because I could see tomorrow and by reason of tomorrow. Now, you have started applying into the GEJ 40 Laptop crew as you call it. GEJ will put State Police in place before leaving office in 2019. State police, is excellent. If politicians like, make dem use am kill themselves. Who loves Politicians anyone. The lesser their number the better for Nigeria. Apart from GEJ, I careless about Politics. He remains my hero, and remains the only President I have ever voted for.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Gwazah(m): 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
Our useless senators ar tryin 2 compare naija nd USA were state police is effectively wokin but let us not 4get dat USA were develop more dan naija of 2day b4 17someting or so, HISBAH here in zamfara ar lik state police check their record nd c if u hav 2% gud record. 2012 state election they were helpin in thumprints 4 government dis is not hear say so imaging state wit arm security. Say no 2 state police.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Demdem(m): 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2012
Billyonaire: Am no hypocrite. I say it the way it is. When I was singing praises of GEJ, you were not using my political telescope. I was singing the praises because I could see tomorrow and by reason of tomorrow. Now, you have started applying into the GEJ 40 Laptop crew as you call it. GEJ will put State Police in place before leaving office in 2019. State police, is excellent. If politicians like, make dem use am kill themselves. Who loves Politicians anyone. The lesser their number the better for Nigeria. Apart from GEJ, I careless about Politics. He remains my hero, and remains the only President I have ever voted for.

I never would have imagined that i and billygoat will ever be on the same side on whatever issue. Thats great.
Anyway, just this week alone, The retardeen said he isnt for state police, i dont think that ur bolded declaration will ever come to pass oooo
https://www.nairaland.com/1030849/governors-abuse-state-police-jonathan
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by omobabanani: 2:16pm On Aug 30, 2012
In my opinion and understanding of the situation in the present Nigeria, the Police and all other security agencies are instrument of oppression in the hands of any Northern leader both presently serving and yet to emerge, any attempt to have a state Police is to consider themselves as gradually loosing grip of the other regions, since the regions are seen and treated as captured territory.

Not to say much state police is absolutely a necessity for the good of all Nigerians and especially people of the south, take a look back at all the Political killings, how many of the perpetrators have ever been caught and brought to book, yet all we continue to here from the Federal Govt is empty promises the people you see in govt and set of Governors holding meeting against the State Police are the people behind most of the high profile killings. Enough of their senseless reason or defense that Governors would use the state police against the opposition party when human life are been wasted daily and they are presently using men of Federal Security agencies to carry out series of assassinations of others secretly.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by jmaine: 2:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
We are not ready for this as long as we are not politically mature to stay away from the temptation of power abuse
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Kgdavid(m): 2:29pm On Aug 30, 2012
forget about the misuse of the police by state governors...what happens when you begin to deploy indigenous state police is the propagation of massive internal xenophobia. why is this hard for people to see? the police themselves have their own religions and tribes and languages etc...what happens in the case of say a repeat of ife vs modakeke? state controlled police composed of all nigerians as is done in the west might not be a bad idea though.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by 2rutalk1: 2:39pm On Aug 30, 2012
I am tired of this ACN. The Party complains about everything. If the FG had agreed to set up a State Police, the Party would have said the contrary haba!. Must you oppose everything? ACN should learn to be reasonable in this their opposition bla bla bla.
The activities of KAI is terrible to contend with in Lagos State, let alone when a Police with gun-wielding power is added to their mobocratic activities.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by clemmonce(m): 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2012
free2ryhme:

Can someone tell this people that we are not yet ripe for state policing .. haba dis opposition status wey ACN get don dey turn to another thing ooo...
must you quote the whole article.nonsense
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by PeterKbaba: 4:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
maybe when Boko Haram enters into the Southern region, then nigerians would open the eyes and see that its better to be secure first before talking politics with all this pdp cabals
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by olivertwist: 8:00pm On Aug 30, 2012
Billyonaire: Am no hypocrite. I say it the way it is. When I was singing praises of GEJ, you were not using my political telescope. I was singing the praises because I could see tomorrow and by reason of tomorrow. Now, you have started applying into the GEJ 40 Laptop crew as you call it. GEJ will put State Police in place before leaving office in 2019. State police, is excellent. If politicians like, make dem use am kill themselves. Who loves Politicians anyone. The lesser their number the better for Nigeria. Apart from GEJ, I careless about Politics. He remains my hero, and remains the only President I have ever voted for.

LOL @ GEJ & 2019. Just pray he finds a solution to BH & Corruption asap.If not, you'll all be jobless by December 31, 2012. You can quote me.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Onlytruth(m): 8:05pm On Aug 30, 2012
And I support ACN on this state police issue. In fact if I ever find out that APGA is against state police I will stop supporting APGA. I hate PDP already, so no stories there.
The state police must happen because Nigerian lives are better protected by LOCAL POLICE.

If the FG is afraid of what the state governors may do with it, then Nigerian are dead already from fear of what the FG is doing with federal police! undecided

Here I stand! cool
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by dayokanu(m): 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2012
For the first time in their miserable existence Billiogoat and onlylies make sense

It must be full moon
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by CyberG: 9:15pm On Aug 30, 2012
akpanbaba: I beg those concerned in the name of Almighty God that state police should not be allowed now until Governor Akpabio leaves the corridor of power in Akwa Ibom State.

But why Akpan? He is one of the performing governors, why do you say that?
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by DuduNegro: 5:20am On Aug 31, 2012
State police in Nigeria is a bad idea. State police initiated by a partyis a terrible way to progress. Experimenting with State policing is a crazy man's idea and shouldd be avoided. In a few more months the country will dissolve, whats the rush to set up state police now, particularly as we count down to 2015?
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by drnoel: 7:24am On Aug 31, 2012
Demdem: I agree with ACN on this. The current system (Nigerian Police force) is a failure and we simply cant continue like this. There is a need to restructure the whole thing. The new police force doesnt need to be in the direct control of the executives neither does it mean the end of the federal police. Many ways to go by these things in order to have a well properly secured state. Continuing with this failed status quo is a no-no.

u mean state police run by the governor of the state. That would not be good at all.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Demdem(m): 7:52am On Aug 31, 2012
CyberG:

But why Akpan? He is one of the performing governors, why do you say that?

I understand Akpan very well. No doubt Akpabio is performing but its also alleged that he kills his opponents. That was then, i wouldnt know what is going on now in the state.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Demdem(m): 7:54am On Aug 31, 2012
drnoel:

u mean state police run by the governor of the state. That would not be good at all.

I didnt mean that. Read my post very well.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by JimmyBoy1: 8:01am On Aug 31, 2012
Nobody aregues that Nigerian Police is an insitution that is grossly effective and adds more to the nation's crime problem than it solves. But creating state police at this time will make the problem become hydra-headed.
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by Lordrama: 8:34am On Aug 31, 2012
state police no good
Re: State Police Is Inevitable - ACN by ZeusI: 11:20am On Aug 31, 2012
OAM4J: Why state police is inevitable, by ACN

FOR the country to effectively tackle the enormous security challenges facing the country, a state police force is a necessity, according to the Lagos State chapter of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).

The party said that with the gross failure of the Nigeria Police Force to rise to the widespread security challenges in the country, opposition to state police was waning and the idea should be given due attention.

In a statement in Lagos by the Lagos State Publicity Secretary of the ACN, Joe Igbokwe, the party said that with each opposition to the idea of state police, various challenges arise each day to answer those who do not want the idea to see the light of the day. It advises that no further delay be tolerated in putting the idea into practice.

The statement noted: “When Lagos started and sustained the campaign for state police, our concern then was to have enough well trained capacity to deal with the challenges of ensuring the security of lives and property in a complex state as Lagos. We note that many Nigerians opposed this on clearly partisan reasons and not on the demerits of the demand. We, however, note that with the widespread state of insecurity pervading the country at present, many of those that fiercely opposed the idea of state police have come to see the great and urgent need for it and have become fierce campaigners of the policy.

“We note that through the hard work and proactive inclination of the Lagos State government, the security challenges that prompted the demand for state police in Lagos have been contained while newer theaters of insecurity have arisen to give fillip to the demand. We therefore state that there is a national demand for state police as a panacea for the expanding state of insecurity facing Nigeria at present.

“We demand that as an experiment, state police should be tried in Lagos and two other cities for a period of 10 years and from there, Nigerians will determine the viability or otherwise of the idea of state police. We are saying this because we are mindful of the fact that if Lagos is given such opportunity, the state will build the most efficient, most functional, most responsive, most active and most proactive police force in Africa.”

The statement added: “Lagos ACN wants to state, for the umpteenth time, that the present Nigeria Police are bogged down by monumental problems ranging from redundancy, inadequate training, dearth of equipment, nepotism, incompetence and weal control. These have made the police grossly incompetent to deal with the security problems that are staring Nigeria today. A situation where control of state commands of the Nigerian Police still rests in a central command in Abuja is counterproductive to tackling the security problems of the country at present. We state that a situation where policemen who have little or no knowledge of their operational terrain and culture can only lead to the poor security harvest we are having at present.”

According to ACN, a state security structure will allow respective states to recruit and post policemen to areas they have clear knowledge of the culture and terrain, which are very necessary in tracking crimes and dealing with them.

“We believe that states are more knowledgeable and more competent in dealing with localised crimes in their given areas. We believe that every crime is committed within a given local milieu and are best approached from localised perspectives hence the urgent need for state police if we must effectively deal with the rising security challenges in Nigeria today. We hope those who oppose the idea because of sundry reasons will come to the realisation that the benefits outweigh the risks and support it for the good of all Nigerians.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97175:why-state-police-is-inevitable-by-acn&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
ACN should prove their expertise in other sectors before asking of state police. Unu anghi apu ara.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Extracts From Barcanista's Posts About Buhari / Breaking News: Court Orders Saraki's Arrest - September 2015 / "Compare Jonathan’s Security Team With Buhari’s Security Team" - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.