Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (340769 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 12:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
datalossvictim1:

Lol thanks. I wash it with baking soda and very warm water. Nearly hot. Then if it needs de tangling, I de tangle with conditioner(I use tresseme) then I still use a bit of warm water to rinse the cond off so that my cuticles are still raised. Then I apply coconut oil to my whole hair. I then pour cold water on my hair to close the cuticles.

I will advise you against using baking soda as a shampoo, it is great as a clarifying wash but for a long term use. It is a no-no.

Google has several reviews on its long term use, mostly negative .

http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/01/baking-soda-destroyed-my-hair.html

The link would help to clarify the problems with using baking soda as a shampoo
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 12:45pm On Aug 23, 2014
Well, I have always been natural, I was on low cut while in secondary school. After high school I decided to grow my hair longer but it became a problem when I moved to study in the UK. Despite several friendly advices to get it relaxed so that I would be able to manage (I hate that word) it, I declined because I have never never liked the texture of relaxed hair or the look. However I did straighten it with a straightening iron for a while but the effect lasted for a couple of days before it reverted back to its natural state.

I also had braids for a while but I could not maintain because I hated having to shower with a big load on my head, it made my hair dry, it was hard to wash and also strenuous to undo without uprooting all your hair.

This was the period I decided to read more about black natural hair, and I came across several websites like curlynikki, rehairduction, blackgirllonghair and other YouTube videos. It was definitely an eye-opener for me and it found it surprising that the average black hair can also grow as long as other races. it took me two years to finally make my decision. The reasons were because I found it too expensive, Most natural hair products are mainly found in the US, the exorbitant prices plus the postage fee was daunting shocked shocked. and it took me along while to understand what black hair really needed.

I was going through another blog of a natural enthusiast who lives in the UK and I came across a list of all natural hair products in the UK, Most of them were very expensive but I finally made my choices. I had the option of choosing between Tresemme naturals or Rainforest from Bodyshop, they were the cheapest from the list.

The latter was more expensive however more natural than Tresemme. I read the reviews of both products and realised that Rainforest would be a better option. So I got two 60ml bottles, £2.00 each. It was so small that I knew I had to incorporate the old saying that 'a little goes a long way'. grin grin ;.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Seroautos: 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2014
HOW TO WALK LIKE A LADY

The way you move, stand, sit, use your hands or place your feet silently communicates to the world. A woman should express her beauty not only with her physical features, but in the way she moves with poise and grace. A beautiful walk is the sign of a graceful poised woman. Follow these steps.

1.} Lift your thigh slightly. Don't lead with your shoulders.

2.} For a feminine walk, the space between your steps should be about the length of your foot. Too long a stride is masculine, too short is mincing.

3.} On each step your heel should touch the floor first, then quickly shift the weight forward to the entire foot as you take the next step. Keep your feet close to the ground when you lift them. visit www.ladieswinds.com to learn more.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sixix:

I will advise you against using baking soda as a shampoo, it is great as a clarifying wash but for a long term use. It is a no-no.

Google has several reviews on its long term use, mostly negative .

http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/01/baking-soda-destroyed-my-hair.html

The link would help to clarify the problems with using baking soda as a shampoo

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I wash my hair once in nearly 2 months because I don't use any products on it and I hardly get dandruff. When I have braids in its once every 3 months. I understand BS being an alkali so I sometimes do an ACV rinse but not often because I hardly wash my hair.

Your link focuses on caucasian hair though lol.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Empressgifted(f): 2:47pm On Aug 24, 2014
Has anyone used Virgin Hair Fertilizer for hair growth? I want to add it to my diy hair cream but i don't know if it actually aids in hair growth.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by TosanEreku: 5:59pm On Aug 24, 2014
Perfumes, bags, shoes and Ralph lauren Products all available on Urban store.
BBM: 2871D24A
Follow @UrbanStore_ on Twitter, _Urbanstore on instagram. Facebook https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443586199259551
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Madrededios(f): 6:21pm On Aug 24, 2014
I am a transitioner on a budget,so pls can i get cheap but good hair products in nigeria?Also how can i transition with braids and weaves?
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 9:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Madrededios: I am a transitioner on a budget,so pls can i get cheap but good hair products in nigeria?Also how can i transition with braids and weaves?

Wig is a better option, less stress on the hair, easy to maintain the hair underneath but if you must use weaves or braids, deep condition and moisturise heavily before you use them. And make sure your hair stylist do not put too much stress on them
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 10:01am On Aug 26, 2014
Empressgifted: Has anyone used Virgin Hair Fertilizer for hair growth? I want to add it to my diy hair cream but i don't know if it actually aids in hair growth.

It contains harmful/ non-natural ingredeints

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 10:03am On Aug 26, 2014
Pre poo-Coconut milk, overnight

Shampoo- Rainforest shampoo (Every week)

Protein treatment- gelatin, flaxseed gel or a mixture of both (Once a month)

Hot oil treatment-Coconut oil (Once a month)

Deep Conditioning- Rainforest conditioner, avocado, banana and coconut milk plus heat (Every week)

Leave-in-Conditioner (protein)- Aphogee Pro Vitamin leave in conditioner (Twice a month)or flaxseed gel (mixed with moisturising leave in conditioner)

Leave-in-Conditioner (Moisture)- Na.ked little miracle leave in conditioner or Herbal Essence Beautiful Ends

Daily moisturiser- Water

Sealants- Coconut Oil and Shea Butter
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Idowuogbo(f): 10:10am On Aug 26, 2014
Sixix:

Deep Conditioning- Rainforest conditioner, avocado, banana and coconut milk plus heat (Every week)

Leave-in-Conditioner (protein)- Aphogee Pro Vitamin leave in conditioner (Twice a month)or flaxseed gel (mixed with moisturising leave in conditioner)

Leave-in-Conditioner (Moisture)- Naked little miracle leave in conditioner or Herbal Essence Beautiful Ends

Daily moisturiser- Water

All this for natural hair? MY LORD shocked

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 10:13am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:

The end na the koko

Beautiful, thick , soft and silky hair and the length would be the envy of many

like this hair

[img]http://hairscapades.files./2012/02/img_20391.jpg[/img]

shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Idowuogbo(f): 10:16am On Aug 26, 2014
Kandiikane, confession time....i chickened out. I permed the bit you leave out for side pattern last month. embarassed
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 10:24am On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo:

Her hair is permanently straightened but the good hair care gave her that length
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Idowuogbo(f): 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
Sixix:

Her hair is permanently straightened but the good hair care gave her that length
Oh stop! Just stop! I'm jealous. tongue
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by 2CatWoman: 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
Sixix:

Leave-in-Conditioner (Moisture)- Na.ked little miracle leave in conditioner or Herbal Essence Beautiful Ends

Daily moisturiser- Water

Haba! This is like a shopping list for the kitchen cupboard grin

2Catwoman hair list:

Bar of soap

Apple conditioner

Coconut oil or raw shea butter mixed with olive oil (whichever is available)

Thats it!!

My hair (pulled long like in the pics) is only 5-6 inches though.

Do any of you ladies trim split ends?

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by MzOma(f): 12:27pm On Aug 26, 2014
Plz go on and like my pics(contenstant no 9)then click on the page and like it also...pls help re-BC on fb,bbm,IG,whatsapp nd oda social ntwrk!tel a frnd to tell a frnd to like my pics......http:///mqqa7vg. PLS LIKE D PAGE AS WELL TO MAKE UR VOTE COUNT....Tanks
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by MzOma(f): 12:28pm On Aug 26, 2014
Plz like ha pics alone and like the page also!...http:///pxmwlhl
facebook:http:///mqqa7vg
twitter:http:///nkvkn5g
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 12:45pm On Aug 26, 2014
2CatWoman:

Haba! This is like a shopping list for the kitchen cupboard grin

2Catwoman hair list:

Bar of soap

Apple conditioner

Coconut oil or raw shea butter mixed with olive oil (whichever is available)

Thats it!!

My hair (pulled long like in the pics) is only 5-6 inches though.

Do any of you ladies trim split ends?

I don't think I have ever had split ends

I think that works too, cos before I started the above regimen I did not use leave in conditioners, sulphate or fsilicones free hair product but I followed the LOC rule and I noticed improvement with my hair texture.

The problem I have is dry roots but moisturised ends undecided . According to a couple of hair websites , it could be as a result of different hair types
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
Idowuogbo: Kandiikane, confession time....i chickened out. I permed the bit you leave out for side pattern last month. embarassed

Lool see your life... but why you nor buy a closure instead of perming the leaveout?
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Triczchic(f): 1:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
Sixix:

Daily moisturiser- Water

HOT oil Treatment..... how HOT is the oil biko?
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 3:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
Triczchic:

HOT oil Treatment..... how HOT is the oil biko?

1.Choose an oil or a combination of oils of your choice. Try using a mixture of olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and almond oil. You can use all of the oils or pick one or two to use for your hot oil treatment. All of the oils above will moisturize your hair and hydrate the scalp. Coconut oil hardens when it is cool.

2. Keep your hair warm or at least at room temperature while coconut oil is in your hair. Make about a cup of your own hot oil mix. You need enough of the oil to cover your hair, from root to tip, so it may be necessary to use less than a cup or make a little more depending on the length and thickness of your hair.

3. Heat the oils in a small saucepan until the mixture is warm to the touch. The oil is going on your hair and scalp, so make sure that it is lukewarm. Although microwaving is faster, it is not recommended because the oil may get too hot. Microwaving may also negatively impact some of the nutrients in the oils. Again, if the oil is over heated, let it sit for a few minutes to cool.

4. Apply the oil to the hair. It is best to use a small squeeze bottle, the kind that is used to color hair.
Massage the product throughout your hair, making sure that all of your hair is covered with the oil. The hair does not have to be overly greasy, just slightly oily. Do not rub the hair too harshly, as this can cause tangles and breakage.

5. Once the hair is covered, put on a shower cap. If you have a bonnet-style hair dryer at home, you can sit under the dryer. If you don't have that type of dryer, you can wrap a towel around your head to keep the heat in.

6. Let the oil penetrate through your hair for about 15 minutes. For a relaxing hot oil treatment, take a warm bath while the oil penetrates in hair.
Next, rinse the oil. Dry your hair and style it as normal.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/01/how-to-do-a-simple-at-home-hot-oil-treatment/

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sissie(f): 7:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
^it's not advisable to heat the oil on a sauce pan directly it reduces the strength of the oils, one of the reasons why cold pressed oil are better.

It's better to boil water, pour the oils in a container I.e cup and insert into the boiled water till it becomes warm/hot.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 28, 2014
sisix, luv ur hair! it's heat-trained, yea? is it easier 2 retain length with straightened natural hair? ... less knots n tangles, less breakage? maybe i shud do dat to mine. hard 2 retain my length undecided
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 7:46am On Aug 28, 2014
aflyingbird: sisix, luv ur hair! it's heat-trained, yea? is it easier 2 retain length with straightened natural hair? ... less knots n tangles, less breakage? maybe i shud do dat to mine. hard 2 retain my length undecided

It makes no difference, the results are the same. The most important thing is a good hair regimen. You can't retain length on relaxed or natural hair if you lack a good hair regimen.

That is not my hair, I got it from a website, http://www.rehairducation.com/

This is her hair regimen

I relax my hair every 20 weeks. After relaxing my hair, I wear it out for about 8 weeks. During those weeks I follow the hair regimen below.

Shampoo 1x a week ( wash hair in 10 calabar braids)

Deep condition with heat for 30minutes 1x a week (moisture and protein mixed together for every week)

Use leave in conditioners 1x a week after deep conditioning

Air dry after every wash

Moisturise and seal daily

Wear protective styles 90% of the time

Sleep with hair covered with a satin scarf every night

Comb on my wash days only which is once a week. Rather than combing daily, I use my fingers to detangle and remove knots 3/4 times a week

And her Relaxer schedule

I relax my hair every 4 to 5 months, twice or three times a year max.

I self relax at home ( mum or my sister help me with the back)

I don’t relax my hair bone straight – I deliberately under process my hair ( this is called texlaxing)

Products – Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Crème Relaxer – No Base Formula – Normal Strength

Organic Root Stimulator Neutralizing Shampoo or Elasta QP Neutralizing Shampoo
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sixix: 7:49am On Aug 28, 2014
Sissie: ^it's not advisable to heat the oil on a sauce pan directly it reduces the strength of the oils, one of the reasons why cold pressed oil are better.

It's better to boil water, pour the oils in a container I.e cup and insert into the boiled water till it becomes warm/hot.

I got it from a website. I heat my own oil in urine sample like bottle dipped in kettle of hot water
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by ksmiley: 12:39pm On Aug 31, 2014
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Sissie(f): 12:43pm On Aug 31, 2014
Sixix:

I got it from a website. I heat my own oil in urine sample like bottle dipped in kettle of hot water

Thank best I also heat oil by dipping a cup/bowl In a pot of hot water.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by 2CatWoman: 1:38pm On Aug 31, 2014
Was looking for some hair styles for 4c type hair and came across this lady:

Nappy Fu, informative and very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OLUB20
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Onegai(f): 1:59pm On Aug 31, 2014
I've been doing this thing, where I pour some coconut or olive oil on my hair the night before wash day (you kinda have to sleep with a shower cap on, so as not to stain your pillows). My curls are looking more defined and my hair feels softer, but I'm shedding or breaking like mad. It could be the Dudu Osun, I've heard it breaks hair. This is my 3rd time using it, so will maybe give it a rest.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.