Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,503 members, 7,954,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:35 PM

Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? (8865 Views)

Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? / Should We Pray For The Death Of Our ‘enemies’? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by jaydude(f): 3:14pm On Dec 08, 2012
Detonator-rex:
did Jesus ever pray against His enemies?

yes he did

But those mine enemies, which would
not that I should reign over them, bring
hither, and slay them before me...Luke 19:27 (new testament)
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by jaydude(f): 3:19pm On Dec 08, 2012
Well as for me, my opinion is that the enemies u won't kill if they don't repent wuld just kill you!

God says :
1) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live..Exodus 22:18 (old testament)
If all the witches in our families that have refused 2 repent are dead many of us for don rich pass dangote wit d brains we have!

2) Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein:
and he that rolleth a stone, it will return
upon him... Proverbs 26:27 (old testament)
...u can go ahead and pray for ur enemies that they don't fall into d pit they have dug, u decide to fall inside d pit for them to bury you okay!

3) Mine eye also shall see my desire on
mine enemies, and mine ears shall hear
my desire of the wicked that rise up
against me Psalm 92:11 (old testament)

4) But those mine enemies, which would

By d way when God said u shuld pray for ur enemies, did He give u a prayer point? wisdom is profitable to direct (Ecclesiastes 10:10b)
...dnt be like Abel whose blood cried to God for vengeance against his brother Cain when he was already in d grave, if uve ever lost a loved one at a young age and mysteriously too, u wuld know what it means to pray against enemies if they have REFUSED to repent

#My 2 cents#

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Koolking(m): 3:29pm On Dec 08, 2012
DANILSA: THEY PRAY AGAINST THE EVIL DEMONS CONTROLLING BOKO HARAM BOYZ lipsrsealed

I bet the boko haram too sees them as enemies. Once you are in sin, you are an enemy. You are not different from the die-hard boko boys. That's how I understand it bro.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by gbanga02: 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2012
according to the scripture, it is not good, Jesus said we should pray for our enemies.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 08, 2012
We wrestle not against flesh and blood , but against principalities and powers of this world.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 08, 2012
The devil and the works of the devil are the enemy here..He came that He might destroy the works of the devil(1john3:8b). Only spiritual fools disrespect the devil's strength(jude8-11). Wise men crush him in the power of the Lord, putting aside their own power and their own wisdom clothing themselves in the armor and equipment that is of the Lord(Ephesians 6:10-18). Unless we fight: we die. Don't forget, satan is an arrogant spirit(2 chronicles32:1-23).
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 08, 2012
shol: We wrestle not against flesh and blood , but against principalities and powers of this world.
Ephesians 6:12
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by saint22: 3:47pm On Dec 08, 2012
U do not compare d actions of JESUS to dat of men.He came 4 a purpose which is to die 4 mankind.when we talk about d bible,some people only believe d new testament & writes off d old testament which is wrong.pls read psalm:35 & 109.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by NET1(m): 3:52pm On Dec 08, 2012
Detonator-rex:
Don't you think that's murder?you have prayed for an enemy(who ofcourse is a sinner) to die..they may eventually die and go to hell.but is that God's plan for us?ask yourself.

Just last week (as I came back to PH from Lagos), I heard the sad story of a 22 year old boy who has bewitched and killed in my compound. He is the only son in a family of about 5 girls. His uncles had openly boasted that they would get rid of him, so his father would no longer have a heir to replace him. They reckoned that if that happened, they would just wait for the boy's father (who is from my estimate over 65 years) to die, so they take his own portion of their family land, since he would have no son to replace him.

I also heard they were seriously fighting and haggling over their Family Land and ..ish. The boy has been having terrible spiritual and physical attacks. Many times, he fell sick and experienced doctors could not diagnose anything wrong with him. Time will fail me to narrate the terrible ordeal this lad had to go through.

I was shocked to hear when I came back to PH just last week that the boy had crossed the narrow sea.

If you were that boy, would you pray against your 'Enemies' or not?

.NET

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by God2man(m): 4:45pm On Dec 08, 2012
Spiritual enemies, a big yes.

Human beings , No, but there are wicked men that have made a covenant with the devil. Unrepentant or stubborn enemies. They are devil incarnate. Devil in human form. Then it becomes a big yes.

Above all let the holy spirit guide you in your battle, because life is a battle. Whether you like it or not, you are on the battle field. As a christian, you need to be in God's Army. Fight or die untimely.

Ephesians 6:12

God bless you.

God2man.

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by charlsecy4(m): 4:46pm On Dec 08, 2012
destinedtee: I was not aware d question has been asked before now.
Search Nairaland before making a post. Ignorance is not an excuse.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Mascherany: 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2012
Its not that we pray against humans beings as enemies but we fight and pray against spiritual darkness and principalities u know it says that we re not fighting against flesh nd blood!
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by plankton(m): 5:29pm On Dec 08, 2012
Not at all
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by destinedtee(m): 6:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
charlsecy4:
Search Nairaland before making a post. Ignorance is not an excuse.
So i have to comb the numerous pages in a section before making a post Anyway, thanks...your comment is noted sir. wink
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by destinedtee(m): 6:45pm On Dec 08, 2012
jaydude: Well as for me, my opinion is that the enemies u won't kill if they don't repent wuld just kill you!

God says :
If all the witches in our families that have refused 2 repent are dead many of us for don rich pass dangote wit d brains we have!

...u can go ahead and pray for ur enemies that they don't fall into d pit they have dug, u decide to fall inside d pit for them to bury you okay!

By d way when God said u shuld pray for ur enemies, did He give u a prayer point? wisdom is profitable to direct (Ecclesiastes 10:10b)
...dnt be like Abel whose blood cried to God for vengeance against his brother Cain when he was already in d grave, if uve ever lost a loved one at a young age and mysteriously too, u wuld know what it means to pray against enemies if they have REFUSED to repent

#My 2 cents#
Thanks Jaydude but have u considered 1Peter1:13 which says 'and who is he that will harm you if ye be followers of that which is good' I personally believe that if all we do is follow and serve God genuinely we don't have to bother about our 'enemies' as it were because God will take care of them.They can't hurt us without the consent of God and i trust that God will never permit them to hurt us.The only way they can gain access to us is when we have defiled ourselves with sin and created a loophole for them to reach us.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by destinedtee(m): 6:58pm On Dec 08, 2012
saint22: U do not compare d actions of JESUS to dat of men.He came 4 a purpose which is to die 4 mankind.when we talk about d bible,some people only believe d new testament & writes off d old testament which is wrong.pls read psalm:35 & 109.
Thanks saint22.I beg to disagree with u sir.Jesus is our role model.(Heb.12;2)and so we ought to emulate his lifestyle.Another example is Stephen when he was being stoned to death.Did he pray against them?Rather,he prayed FOR them.God is not interested in the death of our enemies but their repentance and salvation.Have u done everything possible in your own capacity to ensure their salvation via prayers,intercession,preaching etc before resolving to finally praying against them? I am not in any way judging ur school of thought on this issue but i believe i can still learn from you.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Detonatorrex(m): 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2012
.NET:

Just last week (as I came back to PH from Lagos), I heard the sad story of a 22 year old boy who has bewitched and killed in my compound. He is the only son in a family of about 5 girls. His uncles had openly boasted that they would get rid of him, so his father would no longer have a heir to replace him. They reckoned that if that happened, they would just wait for the boy's father (who is from my estimate over 65 years) to die, so they take his own portion of their family land, since he would have no son to replace him.

I also heard they were seriously fighting and haggling over their Family Land and ..ish. The boy has been having terrible spiritual and physical attacks. Many times, he fell sick and experienced doctors could not diagnose anything wrong with him. Time will fail me to narrate the terrible ordeal this lad had to go through.

I was shocked to hear when I came back to PH just last week that the boy had crossed the narrow sea.

If you were that boy, would you pray against your 'Enemies' or not?

.NET
what about a prayer of protection or deliverance from them?I don't think its our business telling God to kill our enemies.vengeance is the Lord's and if He wants them out of the way the decision is His not ours.we shouldnt do God's work for Him

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by trolling(m): 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2012
yes and no,it all depends....you can pray for or against
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by LaconicINC: 8:08pm On Dec 08, 2012
destinedtee: Considering Matthew 5:44(But i say unto you,Love your enemies,bless them that curse you,and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you) and Luke 6:27(But i say unto you which hear,Love your enemies,do good to them which hate you) Is it then biblical to desire their hurt,wish them evil or even pray against them?
it is not only unscriptural it is anti-christ, because it is against the teachings of Jesus Christ
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Ojukwu24(m): 8:45pm On Dec 08, 2012
WHO IS YOUR ENEMY? This question is one that should be treated carefully. In Acts 13, Paul had an encounter with a false prophet, who was an enemy to the gospel of Christ, and the false prophet(Bar Jesus/Elymas) became blind. We need to understand who our enemies are first. After all, we wrestle not against flesh and blood....(Ephesians 6:12)
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Naijapikin1: 9:08pm On Dec 08, 2012
@op, yes it is. Read psalm 35:1-10
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by rumeme(m): 5:36am On Dec 09, 2012
@trolling..Yes I concur.D bible is a mystery.Read,understand it,be wise when to use it,above all pray for God's interpretation.Elisha sent some mocking children to hell for mocking him,Ananias and Saphira,paul sent dem to hell for lying and stealing but Christ Jesus said we shld Luv our enemies...D same paul told us wat we'r wrestling with and he also said as much as we can bear we shld leave peacably with our enemies...Be wise my brethren.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by P4VS20: 7:31am On Dec 09, 2012
"for we wrestle not against flesh and blood (man isnt our enemy) but against principalities, powers, rulers, spiritual wickedness in high places (demons n dark spirits). so i would say "love the person, hate the spirit controlling them" simple.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by ladiesman(m): 8:05am On Dec 09, 2012
pastor will say u should pray against them to die and also another pastor will say u pray for ur enemy to live so that they can see how u flourish.... am confused sad
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 09, 2012
Our argument should not be unreasonable. First off, in order to determine who our enemies are, we've to consider the passage in its entirety. The statement, without doubt was made by Jesus. Therefore, it would be reasonable to know who the 'enemies' of Jesus were - which enemies made him to make the foregoing statement. All Jesus' enemies wanted Him dead, and those were the enemies He's talking about - the soldiers, the Pharisees, passers-by... When we love these category of people, we'd have loved our enemies. The enemies cannot be spiritual because the devil can't be loved, and tax collectors would not be caught dead loving the devil let alone christians.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 09, 2012
I was wondering whether you were a Muslim. That's a parable!
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 09, 2012
Jesus Christ prayed against his enemies:
hither, and slay them before me...Luke 19:27 (new testament
I was wondering whether you were a Muslim. That's a parable!
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by destinedtee(m): 9:40am On Dec 09, 2012
newmannewman: I was wondering whether you were a Muslim. That's a parable!
Wonder no longer brother...I am a Christian.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by christemmbassey(m): 12:02pm On Dec 09, 2012
jaydude: Well as for me, my opinion is that the enemies u won't kill if they don't repent wuld just kill you!

God says :

#My 2 cents#
Are you a christian or a judaist(judaism) the bible is judaism(old testement) and christistianity(new testement), that Luke you quoted was a parable, go back and read it with understand. If you want to KILL UR ENEMIES?, its very simple-Rome12:19-20
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by elampiro(m): 1:57pm On Dec 09, 2012
jaydude:

Jesus Christ prayed against his enemies:

Should I call your post blaspheme or abuse of the bible? That is a 'parable of the ten miners' you referred to. Why not read the entire account?

The Parable of the Ten Minas

11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a] ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

1 Like

Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by trolling(m): 7:26pm On Dec 09, 2012
there are so many places in the scriptures where the prophets prayed against their enemies.
Re: Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? by tpia1: 8:42pm On Dec 09, 2012
Well as for me, my opinion is that the enemies u won't kill if they don't repent wuld just kill you!

on point.

then they start patting each other on the back and calling themselves "better christians", or better whatever in whichever ramification.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

According To Jesus Christ Being A Muslim Makes All The Difference! / Once A Christian...unsure...questioning. A Thread For Questions. / Is It Good To Advise A Pastor When You Feel He Has Done Something Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.