Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (28471 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / BOTCHED DIPLOMACY AS Saudi-Arabia Deports 510 More Nigerian Women Pilgrims!! / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by sheyguy: 8:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
Onlytruth:

So, Eko Atlantic will be replicated all along the entire Nigeria sea borders abi?
Why is the same Lagos having some of the worst flooding in Nigeria even as we speak, and can you then imagine what would happen after the sea barriers are completed.

Ol'boy come make I borrow you a little of Igbo man's brains. I won't charge a dime. wink
You mean the type in charge of Enugu or which one? Don't even think of assembling a plastic made in china Ark in Lagos . . . Lagosians know what suites them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by odumchi: 9:37pm On Sep 27, 2012
shymexx:

Wtf are you on about? Don't chat shyte, just fvck off... You're on here now because I mentioned Igbo GTFOH...

And was I on the other thread? - do your damn job and piss off, prick...

If you haven't noticed, I could care less about the ethnic wars/battles on here. You can say whatever you like about anybody but the truth is that it doesn't affect me in any way. All I'm telling you to do is to act responsibly and take responsibility for your action when the need arises.

I hope it's not too hard.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Jarus(m): 11:33pm On Sep 27, 2012
Guys, let's take it easy and be civil.

Otherwise ban button will be activated on this thread.

Thanks
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by DuduNegro: 11:42pm On Sep 27, 2012
Yes, no vulgarity and baboon cage aggression here.

If you cant handle the pressure step out and watch on the sidelines. I support Odumchi and Jarus response, respect parents.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by sheyguy: 4:57am On Sep 28, 2012
The ballard of a fallen soldier!
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by naptu2: 5:29am On Sep 28, 2012
[size=14pt]Background and context [/size]

Unfortunately, the Lagos State Ministry of Justice website has not been the same since it was attacked by hackers early this year. I was going to repost the environmental sanitation act.

Environmental sanitation law has always been controversial in Lagos. People always complain about the state of the environment, but they complain even more when government takes steps to remedy the situation.

Back in the 1980s people often quoted the report that stated that Lagos was the dirtiest city in the world. Foreign news stations often showed pictures of Oshodi, kids hawking in traffic (dodging cars, etc), heaps of refuse on road median, etc. The people often complain about the presence of lunatics who wander the streets aimlessly.

Government response to these problems have included:

1) Colonial governments deploying health inspectors (the infamous "Wole Wole" ) to ensure that houses, markets, etc were kept clean. The people hated these health inspectors and accused them of bribery (I remember comedy sketches which depicted health inspectors stealing meat from people's pots in the guise of ensuring that the food was suitable for consumption).

2) Military governments deploying soldiers, policemen and other officials (environmental offences task force) to chase away beggars, street traders and other offenders. It was seen as a futile effort, because the traders and beggars would return to the same spot hours later. The law was amended to include the forfeiture of goods seized during such raids and imprisonment of offenders. The task force would seize the goods and burn them. Fela Anikulapo-Kuti sang

The time around 1975 and '77, police go seize expensive goods dem go start to burn burn them. Army go go market, anything cost money go burn burn dem (2x).

Why dem like to burn the things wey dey costee money? Government fit sell to people cheape cheape. Government fit dash people wey no get money.
And the burn burn na im dey sweet dem pass (burn and bribe). Na im dey sweet them pass. Oya oh, burn burn.

(Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, "Confusion Break Bone", c1980)

The people were sympathetic towards the traders and beggars and believed that the task force was cruel and inhuman. The public felt that these people were only trying to earn a living and their presence on the streets was a result of the economic decline caused by the government. It was also felt that sentencing these people to jail would mean sending them to a training centre where they would learn how to become hardened criminals (besides, the prisons were already over crowded. How many prisons would be built to accomodate the vast army of beggars and street traders?).

3) The return to civilian rule in 1999 ushered in a wave of ammendments to the law. The year 2000 amendment created the Kick Against Indiscipline Corps (basically, the environment police) and made the public-private system the only legal means of disposing waste in Lagos. It became illegal to patronise cart pushers and residents were given bin bags for free. Several markets were also closed because the market men and women engaged in street trading and improper means of disposing refuse.

The 2003 amendment presented offenders with 3 choices, rehabilitation, repatriation or jail.

This amendment was made because the government realised that the prison system was over crowded and thus it would not make sense to keep sending people who break the environmental sanitation laws to jail.

Sending them to jail also created bad publicity for the government. Offenders would often be more hardened and a greater danger to the society when they were released than when they were sent to jail. It was therefore decided that jail term would be a last resort.

Offenders would be given a second chance at life via the rehabilitation process. They could also choose to return to their home state via the repatriation process (some realised that it's better to farm in their home state, than to sleep on the streets of Lagos). Their home state government or relatives would be informed ahead of time, so that they can take steps to rehabilitate the returnees. For example, in the documentary I watched, the Kano State Government gave returnees some money to ease the process of resettlement.

Indeed, it was discovered that gangs of criminals act as agents, ferrying people from their home states to Lagos for a fee, promising them jobs when they get to Lagos and subsequently dumping them on the streets of Lagos. These gangs are particularly active in Kano State and Niger Republic. The City of Kano used to be the great economic centre of the sahel region of Africa. People came from far and wide to work in the factories in Kano City. However, chronic electricity cuts have led to the closure of many factories. Criminal gangs promise to help these people get jobs as security guards, okada riders, etc in Lagos in exchange for a fee and dump the people on the streets of Lagos.

In contrast, the rehabilitation and repatriation process would change the lives of offenders and enable them to become respectable and independent citizens.

Further amendments to the law since 2007 (Fashola administration) have made it illegal to give alms to beggars. Citizens are expected to channel such donations to registered charities, orphanages, destitute's homes, churches, mosques and other such institutions. It also provided the option of community service for people who break the law.

It should be noted that, under the law as it was before the 2003 amendment, the people who are currently being returned, would have been sent to jail.

Finally, it's a pity that the author of the article that the OP republished did such a shoddy job. He should have interviewed the returnees and then interviewed Lagos State Government officials. This would enable the public to know whether the scheme is still being implemented the way it was conceived, or whether it has derailed (the rehabilitation process suffered a setback when the Ita-Oko centre was burnt by inmates. Please ignore the bigotry in the link https://www.nairaland.com/400138/area-boys-lagos-ibadan-action ). Rather than doing this, the author wrote a sensational piece (probably to maximise sales/views) that made it seem like the returnees were forcibly deported and that they were returned simply because of their state of origin.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by ignis: 6:16am On Sep 28, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: i just have a question ..how do they did to know that those people aren't from Lagos?
Exactly, And how do they know that they are all from anambra? If one says they are all igbos, why not enugu, imo, abia ebonyi or delta?
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by triplem16: 10:46am On Sep 28, 2012
YOROBBERS shame to you for keep deleting my comment's .
The next thing I will bring down this web site for a price of 4o dollars,
This web site has open a trade to write nonsense against the igbo people but soon as you write against them they delete your comment and leave their poisonous comment against igbo hanging on the the same web site ,I 'm gonna make a move to bring down Nairaland . First to let F.B.I into this web site I swear .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by triplem16: 10:51am On Sep 28, 2012
Most celebrated illiterates from sub sahara Africa is Yoruba's ,with substandard Education .there is no sign of ingenuity and talent's in the whole of south west Nigeria . Nairaland be ready to go to court idiot ,Because C.N.N will carry the News .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by triplem16: 10:57am On Sep 28, 2012
YORUBASTARDS HAS NO SKILL'S so they resorted in Hypertensive goose bump when ever they run into Igbo man .
this guy's has the lowest I-Q ever upon being the most educated substandard doctors degree ,U.S.A will have to hear these .
Yorobbers are scavenger's more like pirate of the carribean ,they are thieves ,hijackers ,propaganda's . cry babies ,dubious hog wash with inferior brain.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by triplem16: 11:02am On Sep 28, 2012
I WILL OPEN UP 200 ACCOUNT OR 300 MONIKER TO SHOW YOU BASTARD'S THAT YOU CAN'T STOP MY COMPUTER ONLINE SAVVY . MULTI MILLION DOLLAR IGBO TECHNOLOGY WEB SITE WILL BE INTRODUCE SOONEST TO ENCOUNTER YORROBERS SAVAGE]S and their inter-net dog fight .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Noiseless2: 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2012
My dear, quit being in a hurry just to get noticed, if the videos that you have just hurriedly posted on here is to give the BAMILEKE race a bad image because some of them live and conduct their businesses in DOUALA think again, By the way BAFUSAM is not inhabited only by the BAMILEKES.
CAMEROONPRIDE: all aliens who doesn't live in their state or region of origin capiche grin grin
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by nwabobo: 6:07am On Jul 26, 2013
So, it's not today that the bald goat headed bastad Fashola started dumping people of other origin in Anambra.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Amadi6969: 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2013
baysol:
This is long coming. The nonsence lagos and SW have endured in the name of Nigeria is unacceptable any longer. Igbos go to your Biafra noise na abi na by force? We are tired of your money loving, evil doing criminal lot. The earler you people wake up and see you are no more welcome in SW the better. wake up and smell the coffee before its too late.

This is the Reason Nigeria can never be one. I do not blame you for such statement. I blame the Ibo leaders. This should serve as a wake up call to all ibos that they are supposed to develop their own states and not someone else's.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

White Witches Back Jonathan To Beat Buhari / Imo Assembly Workers Lock-out Corpse Of Ex-speaker Over Unpaid Salaries / Zahra Buhari's Experience At The Burial Of The 7 Soldiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.