Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? (26390 Views)

Poll: UK or US?

United Kingdom: 29% (45 votes)
United States: 70% (109 votes)
This poll has ended

US Family Preference Visa Waiters Lounge / Are Medical Doctors Given Any Preference, As Regards UK Tourist Visa's? / Canada or Uk which one is your preference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Ezinwannem: 5:48pm On May 07, 2007
ur input cannot count because u have not been 2 da us 2 know it is better dan da uk, such things u mentioned as been negative in da uk does not justify anything, u don't know how so called AA people u praised above r living and suffering in da U.S
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 12:33am On May 09, 2007
"anusule"? Isn't that the name of a haemorrhoid cream?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by anusule(m): 12:47am On May 09, 2007
how did you know, wow! you must have it. cool smiley
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 12:51am On May 09, 2007
My brother, as soon as I posted my remark, I realized that I had laid myself open to exactly what you said! Nice one.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by fromuk(m): 7:29pm On May 13, 2007
by far US is the best place to live for meooooooooooooo, In Uk you are just a traingular person, from house to work and then to school if u are a student. Its a lonely place to be, i miss naija walahi, even when you work finish tax go follow, me i no de sik from yr to yr but still i pay insurance, council tax even to watch this dia 4 channeled TV you go pay. very soon we go start to pay air tax nothing is free. The house we live in was built during the 1st WW still we pay thro our nose. some places you will see 7 diffent people may be from 7 nationalities leaving in the same house. U no no who be osama, or pedophile. Some rd na only one car d pass at a time. children here no d worst i have seen, no respect even to dia pale and male, who born u wey d go respect. dia church na 4 stadium, rev fada na referee. to buy good wears na work wk salary, as i d write so my n-power remain some pence so maybe i fi no finish wetin i wan write b4 my light to cut off, to recharge na from £10 upwards. I pray e no cut offoooooooooooo. petrol na nearly £1, organised transport ke, those yeye children d smoke weed upstairs for the double decka, sometime u go wait for 1 hour no bus. when i come this country new, for winter i dey bus stop my bus no show for more than 1 hour, cold hammer me so tteeeeeeeeee i just jump into another bus wey no d go anywhere near my area. I follow the bus reach last stop folow am comot again still come see the people wey me with them the wait for bus b4 i vex follow that bus. tube na another headache

1 Like

Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by GNature(m): 7:39pm On May 13, 2007
@fromuk

What is it about the U.S. that you prefer ? Because a lot of what you wrote is applicable in the U.S. too.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by DisGuy: 8:22pm On May 13, 2007
he likes what they potray on MTVBase it is very glossy you know Nigerians like glossy things  wink
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by gaylord: 8:37pm On May 13, 2007
@ fromuk

man mi nice analysis, meself don tire, i dey seek der deportation dem no gree give me
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Boome2(f): 8:59pm On May 13, 2007
i lived in the US for 5 yrs and i am now studying in London. I must admit that I am really disappointed

everything is just too expensive, the weather is terrible and its just too crowded

Just my 2cents
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by fromuk(m): 8:06pm On May 14, 2007
GNature

are u sure people in US pay £135 or equivalent a yr to watch 4 conventional channels( like NTA, AIT,MIRAGE,GALAXY and IBC OWERRI), if its true then my next relocation will be naija cos in Germany you have many channels free.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Vicjustice: 8:36pm On May 14, 2007
Comment withdrawn for reserved purpose
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by UPRISING: 10:57pm On Jul 03, 2007
NA MALU GO LIVE NIGERIA OR AS GO LIVE FOR
UK. I CAN VISIT UK. BUT LIVE? shocked HELL NOOOO
I RATHER LIVE IN NAIJA OR SOUTH AFRICA,
STATE IS THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO LIVE.
cool cool
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 1:23am On Jul 05, 2007
UK is a better place to live in. . . . . . . . . . .
Quality Education, Proper Enforcement of the Human Rights Act and an excellent Health Care System.

Our police don't brand guns like they do in the USA to terrorise people. Our police don't beat citizens like i have seen in the USA.
There are no death sentence penalty here like they killed TOOKIE WILLIAMS.

People still get treated in the NHS with or without a NHS card unlike the USA where the Health Insurance is a necessity or DEATH.

A lot of people complain about the tax system but thats bollocks.
The minimum wage here is about 5.35 pounds($10) and its about $7(it varies from state to state) in the USA.
For instance, Georgia pays aboout $5.25 which is less than 3 pounds in the UK.
Even animals make more money than that! grin
Please do the math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer the UK anytime, anyday.
It's more compact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by chiogo(f): 2:39am On Jul 05, 2007
@topic.

idk really. I think i prefer US 'cause i live there. never been to UK but from what i've heard, it's almost d same as US. Besides, US is so popular, that's where everyone wants to go but they don't know, it's not all that. tongue
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 3:03am On Jul 05, 2007
US is popular but the quality of life down there is over-rated/exaggerated.
I have been to USA and any state apart from California and Florida is struggling behind Western Europe.
The UK is very compact thus more well-organised than the US.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by bluesky4(f): 1:13pm On Jul 05, 2007
its sooo much more easier in the US
the houses are big, and money can go far.

In the UK, life is hard, houses are small, and money earned goes bak to the government sad
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by DisGuy: 1:50pm On Jul 05, 2007
blue-sky:

its sooo much more easier in the US
the houses are big, and money can go far.

In the UK, life is hard, houses are small, and money earned goes bak to the government sad

Easier in what sense? undecided better dont let mtv base deceive you wink
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 2:11pm On Jul 05, 2007
@ Dis Guy,

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Much easier in the USA? I am having a laugh.
Majority of em are living from hand to mouth whereas they are doing more than a job to make ends meet.
America is HELL.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by DisGuy: 2:28pm On Jul 05, 2007
I use to think people in the UK work long hours
But people in the USA damnnnnn they put in some mad hours shocked
there are 12hr shifts which are somewhat illegal in the UK but in the US its normal undecided
Especially with the nurses
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by bluesky4(f): 2:50pm On Jul 05, 2007
I mean easier in the sense that money can go far in the US compared to the UK
it is not unheard of for people to work 12 hours in the UK, and nurses work long hours everywhere.

I am not saying that life in the US is easy, life is hard everyhwere, but it is easier compared to the UK.

if you want to compare, come and live in a dingy 1 bed flat worth the same price as a 4 bed house in the US
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 2:56pm On Jul 05, 2007
@ blue-sky,

I DISAGREE with u totally.
The quality of life in the UK is far better than what u get in America?
When Hurricane Katrina blew New Orleans away, i stared in disbelief that New Orleans was indeed in the USA.
Take out Florida and California and America is not different from Ivory Coast!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by bluesky4(f): 3:23pm On Jul 05, 2007
I agree that the way America handled New Orleans is a disgrace. How can the richest country treat its people like they are 3rd class citezins. BUT i blame this situation on Bush rather than US way of life.

If you think the quality of life is better in the UK, then we will have to agree to disagree.
As much as i love where i am, i still believe that things would have been different if i was in the US.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2007
@ blue-sky,

I'd really love u to visit the USA and see things for yourself.
The whole AMERICAN DREAM is a facade.
I studied in California for about a year and the things i witnessed were appaling.

The UK is a better place to stay for me.
Their system suits my lifestyle and thigs are conducive here compared to the States.
The Human Rights Act here is real and i love this place for that.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by bluesky4(f): 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2007
I have been to USA, i have family who live there.
infact i am going there on holdiay in 2 weeks time.
Are u actually living here in the UK? If you are, where abouts are u stayin.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by dtwsola(m): 8:45pm On Jul 05, 2007
I normally wouldn't bother to respond to a topic like this but I just feel that I have interject some truth and sense into Jackal's bullshit crusade. It's clear the guy  despises America for whatever reason, so now he resorts to spewing lies and misinformation. In fact I doubt the guy has actually ever laid foot here. That's why he compares 48 of 50 states to the Ivory Coast. I've been to Abidjan and I liked it, but that is certainly the most outlandish thing I've ever heard. What you're telling me us that world class places like Hawaii, NY, Chicago, Seattle, Denver, and Boston all have  infrastructure and standard of living similar to Cote d'Ivoire. All the UK has is London, what else? You must really have you got some serious inferiority complex about living in the UK that you spend your time America bashing on an internet messageboard.

It's clear Jackal is a jobless clown with low expectations. Look at the things he's whining about. Minimum Wage? You are complaining about minimum wage. Have you no ambition? Why the hell would anyone work for minimum wage. I never worked for minimum wage even when I was pursuing a degree. As soon as I got my degree, I had multiple high paying job offers.
And besides that, lets talk facts. Clearly the US, even with a population ~5 times the size of the UK's, can generate far more income than the UK per person. Many of the displaced people simply don't want to take advantage of it. Not to mention the cost of living is, in general, much less here. So at the end of the day you take more to the bank. The American pie is larger. I've certainly got my piece. Even yet, almost all American companies offer savings (401k) plans that allow people to start saving and offer a company match on top of the savings. Hence by the time you choose to retire you can have saved a ton of money (possibly millions) if you were smart with your finances. The US job market is constantly booming. Skilled workers and educated people take advantage of this. If you choose to not be skilled, and end up working at Wal-Mart or flipping burgers for the rest of your life, you really have no one to blame but yourself, and you just leave more of your pie for us smarter people to chop.

Health care.
We've all heard it before. The US does not have universal health care. Yet somehow they still manage to maintain such high life expectancy. I do agree that health care should be a social service. However there are trade ins to everything e.g. the quality of healthcare you get in the states is much higher.
I'm no sickler, but I know from what I've read about the UK healthcare system I'd much rather be treated here if I should contract some deadly disease first because I wouldn' be put on some long goverment queue to get treatement, and the quality of the hospitals here are second to none. I have a job that provides excellent health coverage if something like this should happen. Also the US is in the midst of healthcare reform that will likely provide health care for all legal residents, but the free market healthcare system would still be maintained, and people with some reasonable standard of living would likely already have a higher quality of provided by their employer.

Now on education. Which is your biggest joke of an argument

You claim education is somehow better in the UK. O REALLY? In what sense, or is that just another of your bigoted unfounded opinions?
Let's see what a neutral sorce has to say abouth that.
Here's the most neutral, comprehensive, and reputed  world rankings. Shanghai Jiao Tong University has rankings  based on scientific papers, peer reviews, success of alumni, Nobel Prizes etc. This is a ranking by a Japanese university, not an American publication Here it is.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ranking2006.htm

Pretty much exclusively American at the top of the list. Cambridge is no.2, and Oxford is 10, but take a closer look.

When it comes to Engineering & Technology, Cambridge doesn't even make the top fifteen,
Source: http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2007/ENG.htm

What about the medical field? Same deal
Source: http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2007/MED.htm

Maybe the UK universities can compete in art and social sciences, but otherwise there really isn't much competition. The days of Isaac Newton are long gone. Matter of fact, besides Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners-Lee, the UK just has not produced many recent great scientists and technological innovators.

Nonetheless the proof is in the pudding
Where are the IBM, Intel, Apple, AMD, Sun Microsystems, Google, Yahoo companies in the UK? Those are all American companies that are significant in the tech world. Where are the large innovative research companies like NASA etc. Back in the days of Isaac Newton, the UK was a world leader in scientific research, now all it really has is history. Pick an industry in which the UK is actually leading the US. Not in engineering/manufacturing, not in technological sector. (There is no UK equivalent to Silicon Valley). It pretty much shows that the US continues to be the center of innovation and high technology. All this for a country that just celebrated it's 331st birthday. Sorry you guys couldn't keep up

The funny thing is when I was in Nigeria, I dreamt about moving to the UK. This was mainly because I was in love with Premiership football, but then I snapped into reality. I came here and got an engineering degree, and am working a great professional job. No night shift. No living from paycheck to paycheck. I have tons of time to kick it with friends, and I travel when I get the chance. I've even visited London only to see family. But besides watching football matches, which I can do on cable here and being tightly packed around other Nigerians, which is here as well, I thought it was dry. There are tons of places I'd rather visit in Europe before Britain. Seriously. The UK really doesn't have much that is intriguing.

Anyway,

@Thread topic, I mos def prefer Yankee (if you couldn't tell  wink ). I like America, because there is choice. I can choose to live in snowy cold upstate New York, or I could live in sunny Southern California, or always temperate San Fransciso Bay. I can choose to work in any industry, and not have to worry about getting a well paying job since the job market is steady and booming. New jobs are always being created here. I like the job I have in the aerospace industry. It pays very well and has great benefits, but there are other companies I could choose to work with if I wanted. Choices are not as plentiful in the UK. The same bad weather everywhere, fewer companies. I also like that there are many cultures here. I have made friends with origins from all corners of the earth. I don't need or want to be around Nigerians every second of my life.
Yes America is large but people tend to congregrate around metropolitan areas. If you go to Houston, and Chicago, you'd be around tons of other Nigerians. Thankfully this type of thing doesn't matter to me. My girlfriend and a few good Naija friends I met in college is all I need. And though there are a few ignorant loud mouthed Americans, it's unfair to paint all of them with such a broad brush. I would not have made friends here if that was the case. Much of what happens in your life depends on the people you associate with. I don't associate with idiots, so almost all the Americans I met have been warm and caring people.

There are limitless opportunities in the States. You can be like  yeye Jackal and be expecting the government to provide you with everything and live in some sort of welfare state, or you can be like this Nigerian guy and make a name for yourself. It 's up to you really. I know some Nigerians going to Harvard and MIT, doing well with themselves. Those are the types I associate with.
If you can't make it in America, you can't make it anywhere. That's why the US. has more millionaires (in US$) than all of Europe.

Certainly the US has it's bad aspects like overagression on the world politics stage, a terrible president, materialism, excess. What people don't realize is that for every American like that, there are two more that are the exact opposite. I'll admit there is a lot of ignorance about other nations here and general insularity, but there are also many of them are well informed and educated. For every warmongerer there is an equally loud war protestor. There are people who are lobbying for universal health care and it will soon happen. Also there are crazy people with handguns but most of this depends on the company you keep. If you date, mingle, and hang out with useless people, drug dealers, and such, you are more likely to run into something like this. Almost all violent crime is related to the company kept. I have never felt at all unsafe here.  The only other thing I hate here is god awful American football. I'll never understand that but really no big deal.

At the end of the day, I'm still a Nigerian. Since Nigeria is still developing, there is more room for growth there than the Western countries. My dream is to somehow contribute to the development of my home.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 12:03am On Jul 06, 2007
@ blue-sky,

I actually stay in NW Area of London(Swiss Cottage).
Enjoy your vacation in the USA and bring pictures when u come back to the UK.
If u think all UK has is London then u need to have ur head re-examined or better still get some adult education.
U have a rotten luck of being born in the wrong century so deal with that first.@ dtw_sola,

Your comments have to be the most senseless on this thread.
I read it, filtered and digested it and all u spew is balderdash and raw bollocks.
Jackal a jobless clown? If only u know better u wouldn't be spilling ur guts like chicken cordon bleu and talking trash on a public forum.
I was only trying to highlight the low quality life majority of all y'all are living in the United States.
Talking about the minimum wage does not mean i earn a minimum wage. Open ur eyes wide open and read between the lines.
I shouldn't be boasting online but i can bet my mortgage that i make more income than ur greasy ass.
U claiming to be smart? I have a better chance joining the KKK.
Your comment is a complete contrast to a man i can describe as being ASTUTE . . . . . . . The whole spine of ur comments is horse-shiiiit!

What a myopic way of analysing issues.
Because you are no sickler means u couldn't give a rat about others,innit?
Also, just because u work in a company that can provide free health coverage means others without the opportunity must suffer.
Can u hear urself talk? The Health care system in the USA is a complete joke.

No one is disputing the fact that America is not bigger than UK.
C'mon, The population of the USA is 250 million compared to Britain's 60 million so the issue of technological innovations  is not the issue.
What we are saying here is the suffering index of the citizens of the USA compared to the UK.
America has more billionaires than the whole Europe means what? U are a brainless clown!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigeria has more billionaires than any country in Africa but the quality of life in Ghana, Gambia and South Africa is still better than Nigeria.

It is true America owns companies like Yahoo, Apple, Google and all other bollocks but of what significance is that to the relatively suffering masses.
You make America sound as if everywhere u go is sparkling clean but the reality is IT IS NOT.
America has more ghettos than any country in the world and thus more destitutes.
It is only in America i have seen tramps building carton houses on the streets and the government not caring about it.
Show me anywhere in UK where u'll find tramps building cartons on the streets like Lagos.

Go and do your research well.
London is one of the top multi-cultural cities in the world.
I have met many people of different backgrounds here in the UK so shelf that line of argument.
There are limitless opportunities in the UK and thats why u find everyone in Europe swooping down to grab opportunites in the UK.
Why is the GB pound mightier than the dollar? Does that ring a bell in ur ears?
You do the math!!!!!!!!!!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Qc1(m): 2:50am On Jul 06, 2007
hmmmmm, last time I checked  Nigeria naira is more than Japanese yen, Italian lira and many yet those are 1000% far more developed and better than naija.  Your GB pounds vs USD is silly( mind you I don't say you are silly, i don't even know you i 'm only referring to your argument).

So far, sola have provided proof to back up his point where is yours?

I have lived in the USA for a while Love the country but hate their foreign policy on world politics because it doesn't benefit  neither me nor my country !
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by dtwsola(m): 3:14am On Jul 06, 2007
Jackal:

Your comments have to be the most senseless on this thread.
No. You comparing the standard of living of 48 US states to the Ivory Coast is the most senseless comment in this thread. FACT.

I read it, filtered and digested it and all u spew is balderdash and raw bollocks.

Wow! that's exactly what I thought about the shit you wrote. Crazy. The only thing is I have data and links to back up my "bollocks". You are just spitting random garbage out of your ass.

Jackal a jobless clown? If only u know better u wouldn't be spilling your guts like chicken cordon bleu and talking trash on a public forum.
I was only trying to highlight the low quality life majority of all y'all are living in the United States.
What we are saying here is the suffering index of the citizens of the USA compared to the UK.
Majority? What majority? See that's your problem.You aren't concerned with facts.You are spewing bigoted nonsense because you hate the US for whatever reason. The US has under 13% below the poverty line and the UK has 17% below the national poverty line. Im not making these numbers up. Seems that you are the one trying to paint a skewed portarait of the UK. Poverty exists everywhere and will never go away.
The US still has one of the strongest middles classes in the world and jobs and are being constantly created. The only criticism of the US is that it is not as much of a welfare state as the UK. Well if you come here looking for handouts, then I guess that's a valid argument. Someone with half a brain, and a bit of willpower will have no problem making it in the US.

i can bet my mortgage that i make more income than your greasy ass.
This loser is making mouth that he makes more money than me. Internet big talker, abi? Sorry, that cannot be proven homey. Let's just say the average person in the UK makes less than the average person in the US, and standard of living is still higher here. so this is how we'll have to conclude.

The whole spine of your comments is horse-shiiiit!
At least my argument has a spine . I posted raw data and facts. Read the various links I posted. Again you just kept spewing nonsense opinions.

What a myopic way of analysing issues.
Because you are no sickler means u couldn't give a rat about others,innit?
Also, just because u work in a company that can provide free health coverage means others without the opportunity must suffer.
Can u hear yourself talk? The Health care system in the USA is a complete joke.
Are you daft or are you just not capable of reading and comprehending? I myself criticised the US health system saying it should be all inclusive. Even people here criticise it. There's even a big movie about it. All I said was that the quality of the health care is still far better here. America has the capability to support these people and if a smart, compassionate president gets elected, health care reform is on the way.

Go and do your research well.
London is one of the top multi-cultural cities in the world.
I have met many people of different backgrounds here in the UK so shelf that line of argument.
And where else besides London? Is that all you got ta offer.

If u think all UK has is London then u need to have your head re-examined or better still get some adult education.
You have a rotten luck of being born in the wrong century so deal with that first.@ dtw_sola,
What other world class cities does the UK have besides London? None, according to a study carried out by a UK university.
Source: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/citylist.html

Why is the GB pound mightier than the dollar? Does that ring a bell in your ears?
You do the math!!!!!!!!!!

And 1 japaneese yen = N1.035, so I suppose Nigeria's standard of living is equal to that of Japan's, you simpleton . You sound like an ignorant fanboy. Market exchange rates are simply like other stocks and bonds, and have very little to do with the economy of the country, and more to do with supply and demand, and risk. The US exports a ton, hence the market is flooded with dollars and the demand is less. If the US stops spending like it does, the dollar would be strong yet the world economy would be in terrible shape. Don't speak about things that above your head. It make you look stupid.

The fact still remains that there is more money in the US regardless of exchange rate. Convert it to whatever currency you like, more money is still more money. And there is more money to spread around in the US economy. I suppose your retarded ass would take 1 pound over three dollars since you love the pound so much.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Jackal(m): 10:54am On Jul 06, 2007
This is getting more interesting.
Lemme nail your coffin once plus put your retarded soul to sleep once and for fucking all.

Economy
The main reason the USA appears richer than UK, first of all,  is because a higher proportion of Americans are in employment and, secondly, they work about 20% more hours per year than Europeans.
In truth, both the employment rate and how long the average person works are explained mainly by political history. Until the late 1970s total hours worked were falling both in the UK and in the USA; since then, total hours worked have continued to fall in the UK but have risen again in the US.
Equally, if we look at employment data by age group, Americans join the work force earlier and leave it far later than Britons.
The key to understanding why this has happened is the change in US income distribution over the past 30 years.
Since 1979, the bottom 40% of income earners in the US has been treading water, while the bottom 20% has become poorer. US workers have needed to put in more years and longer hours simply to maintain their real income position.

Comparing the economic performance of the UK and the USA does not lead one to conclude that America has the more dynamic economy, or that it has performed better in the past or will do so in future.
The most important feature of the comparison is neither the growth nor the unemployment record of the US and the UK.
It is, rather, that US growth, unlike that in the UK, is funded by a dangerously high mountain of foreign debt.
US external indebtedness, in turn, is driven by the US house-price bubble, enabling US consumers to spend more than they earn. Ironically, it is the UK which, together with China and Japan, continues to lend the money to the US which keeps their households spending and their economy growing.

Healthcare
40 millions American have no healthcare insurance.
The government's annual bill for healthcare spending -- $3,925 per person -- significantly exceeds that of other nations, because physicians' salaries and hospital costs are higher, and medical technology is more widely used.
FACT: The American healthcare system is at once the most expensive and the most inadequate system in the developed world.
People can lie down for hours unattended to just because they don't have healthcare insurance . . . . . . Is this a country?
American drugs are too expensive and many go all the way to Canada to get cheap drugs.

This system is CRAP because only those with sufficient money receive the full medical cover and many of the poorest sections of society are left with little or no cover. There are 2 systems in place that cover old age and the poorest sections of society Medicare and Medicade , but both require the person to apply for them and make them jump through many hoops to obtain cover and coverage mostly only provides the basic cover and little choice in service supplier. Preventative medicine is not practiced to ensure the nation's overall health 
Children's dental health and eyesight needs are not covered as well. 
Many citizens continue to work after retirement as it is the only way health cover can continue.
This is why i think dtw_sola will continue to work till he drops dead at work one day. tongue

In the UK, No member of society is left with no medical cover from the cradle to the grave
The young and old are given the best of what medicine can offer and preventative medicine is used to improve the overall health of the nation 
Due to buying power of the NHS the cost of medicines is much lower in the UK than the USA.

Why would i want to live in America?
The United States "the land of free",ironically has much fewer legal freedoms than the UK and many other industrialised countries.

For example:
Throughout all of the European continent, there are no laws prohibiting gay or lesbian sexual activity, while a little less than half of the states in the US actually have laws stating that gay and lesbian sexual acts are illegal. It is not illegal to be gay or lesbian, but gay or lesbian sexual acts are.
And then there's this crap about gay/lesbian marriage and how it will corrupt the morals of our country.

If you are a working woman in the UK and you get pregnant, you will be given maternity leave benefits by the government.
If you are in the US, you will not receive anything unless your employer decides to pay you.
There is no mandated maternity pay though, so your employer may just as easily not give you anything.
How is this different from Nigeria or Somalia? grin

In 1979 a UN treaty called CEDAW (the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women) was adopted. Almost every country in the world signed and ratified CEDAW, including the UK. The US did not, taking its place among countries like Afghanistan and Iran and Iraq?
Is this country really developed?

In the US, state legislatures enacted 301 anti-abortion measures between 1995 and 2001.
86% of all US counties are now not served by an abortion provider.
What a sick country?

I'm tired of the US thinking its better than everybody else, because in fact it is much worse in terms of treatment of women and homosexuals and blacks and hispanics,  well basically if you're a white male in the US  you're golden but that's where the buck stops.
Is it not the same country that still practises the DEATH PENALTY?
There have been 1079 executions in the United States in the last 30 odd years. It was a staggering 53 executions in 2006.
Does this country really appreciate the Human Rights Act?

I will not live in a country that doesn't defend the rights of more than half of it's population. grin

P.S. . . . . . . . . .In every country you have some good and bad things as well as good and bad people
It's like that everywhere in the world. And it's normal to like the place you live in more than everywhere else.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Gbenge77(m): 12:05pm On Apr 19, 2011
blue-sky:

I mean easier in the sense that money can go far in the US compared to the UK
it is not unheard of for people to work 12 hours in the UK, and nurses work long hours everywhere.

I am not saying that life in the US is easy, life is hard everyhwere, but it is easier compared to the UK.

if you want to compare, come and live in a dingy 1 bed flat worth the same price as a 4 bed house in the US

lol
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by herostar(m): 2:46am On Sep 06, 2011
U. S. ALL THE WAY, ANY TIME ANY DAY, ALL MY FRIENDS IN UK ALWAYS TELL ME THEY ARE READY TO SPEND THEIR LAST BLOOD JUST TO VISIT AMERICA, USA, HOW MUCH MORE TO LIVE,
AND NOW MOST LADIES WHEN THEY GET PREGNANT THEY WANT TO HAVE THERE BABY IN USA, COME GUYS USA IS THE BEST AND WILL ALWAYS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

New Terminal of the Port Harcourt International Airport due for commission Thurs / The Hypocrisy Of Anti Japa People On Nairaland. / FG Introduces Temporary Passports For Nigerians Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.