Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? (26392 Views)

Poll: UK or US?

United Kingdom: 29% (45 votes)
United States: 70% (109 votes)
This poll has ended

US Family Preference Visa Waiters Lounge / Are Medical Doctors Given Any Preference, As Regards UK Tourist Visa's? / Canada or Uk which one is your preference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:00am On Apr 20, 2007
Hm we're dumb yet I write better than you. . .?

and didnt Tony Blair just recently make a horrible statement about how black people are behind the sudden violent uprising in England?

Also Chelsea went to Stanford.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by anusule(m): 10:08am On May 03, 2007
hey ya! i heard the US have started off loading illegals. and here in uk the jenges are not finding it easy. even we HSMP holders gan sef. lets vote labour party out. sad sad sad
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by DisGuy: 2:46pm On May 03, 2007
Yea time to get the conservatives in and block the borders for good!  cheesy
atleast labour brought hsmp and many millions came pouring in, the conservatives are exactly like their name!

TOH
I doubt blair said anything like that! apart from being a stupid comment, he is the most (genuinely) PC politician on this part on the pond.

chelsea also went for her Master's in the UK
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 9:02am On May 06, 2007
I was born and bred in the UK (am currently on one of my periodical stints in Nigeria) so I'm undoubtedly biased in favour of the UK. However, I can understand why most Nigerians, if given the choice, would overwhelmingly opt for the US.

The USA is the most powerful (politically, miltarily, technlogically, financially and culturally) nation on earth. As John Lennon said, when asked why he left England to live in New York, "during the Roman Empire, you would have wanted to live in Rome". So he moved to NYC. My favourite place of all the places I've visited in the US over the years is NYC, simply because it reminds me of London - its multinational flavour - only London and New York are "world cities" in that respect.

Actually, what I've written makes the point that it is the LOCATION WITHIN THE COUNTRY, not necessarily the country as a whole, which dictates one's preference - I can't live in Middlesborough, England anymore than I could live in Hicksville, USA.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Reverend(m): 9:13am On May 06, 2007
If you think that the USA has culture you must be sniffing something undecided

The USA is the most uncultured country on the planet! angry angry
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by English1(f): 9:27am On May 06, 2007
God no, please don't bring back the tories. shocked
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 9:29am On May 06, 2007
Reverend, I wasn't making an artistic appraisal. US culture is dominant- movies, music,etc. It may be well be shit but that's what is ruling the airwaves right now. Capisce?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 9:31am On May 06, 2007
Reverend, I wasn't making an artistic appraisal. US culture is dominant- movies, music,etc. It may be well be shit but that's what is ruling the airwaves right now. Capisce?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Reverend(m): 9:42am On May 06, 2007
On that basis you are correct, but I would definately not call that culture undecided

The problem with the USA is the false and corrupt notion of the 'American Dream' - It does not exist and never did.

It is a country controlled by Jews, that is dangerously overweight and needs to learn a few moral standards.

Give me the good old UK anytime wink wink wink
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 10:03am On May 06, 2007
"Culture" is technically a neutral, objective term, referring to a society's norms and ways of expressing itself.

"Cultured" is an adjective connoting a superior level of attainment - a subjective term.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 10:19am On May 06, 2007
Reverend:

The problem with the USA is the false and corrupt notion of the 'American Dream' - It does not exist and never did.

I concur! The American Dream is non-existent. Just a false lead angry angry angry
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 10:43am On May 06, 2007
At least they have a dream.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 10:45am On May 06, 2007
Yeah one that they lead you to believe they have.
It ain't all that they make it to be.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 10:51am On May 06, 2007
I know, but there are more rags-to-riches stories in the US than anywhere else. True, achievement of this dream takes hard work but the US does provide a greater framework of opportunity than the rest of the world. I recall a former (British) editor of The Economist admitting that the US has a "freer" society than the UK.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 10:57am On May 06, 2007
freer society? In terms of economy, probably
There is racism everywhere you look. THey have more compounded problems and use classification to create everything.
There is an idea that people have which says that America is a melting pot. That is a lie as well. You can't just come in and blend in like that.

I'm not saying U.S. is that bad but personally, for some weird reason, I'm in love with UK.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by GNature(m): 11:05am On May 06, 2007
donjohano:

there are more rags-to-riches stories in the US than anywhere else.

God bless you my brother, you have said it all !!!!

donjohano:

True, achievement of this dream takes hard work but the US does provide a greater framework of opportunity than the rest of the world.

Thanks again my brother for your wisdom. You will never experience erectile dysfunction in your lifetime amen

I know of atleast 15 people that came to the U.S. with nothing but the clothes on their back and their O' levels from Nigeria but are success stories today.
These are people I know personally, not stuff I just read somewhere.

Now, I admit, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication (and your legal papers to work and stay here  grin) as well as God's grace, but living the american dream is very much existent.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 11:07am On May 06, 2007
I know, I know, but there ain't no UK equivalent of Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Barack Obama, etc, etc.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 11:09am On May 06, 2007
Thanks GNature. Erectile Dysfunction must be avoided at all costs! But that's another thread all to itself.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 11:15am On May 06, 2007
lol @ GNature and donjohano.
I have personal beef with Condoleeza Rice on issues of war and Bush Admin but let me shut up for now.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 11:17am On May 06, 2007
J-girl, its not about Condi's politics. It's the fact that she is where she is - that's the point!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 11:21am On May 06, 2007
You can't compare US govt to UK govt now! They are two different systems. Black men won't run for office, neither do black women. When they run and fail, tell me.
It is all a ploy to make it seem racially united but even where she is, she can't dare oppose Bush. She agrees with every thing he says so what is the use of her being where she cannot make a difference?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 11:28am On May 06, 2007
J, I think you should leave the US.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Reverend(m): 11:30am On May 06, 2007
There are far more rag stories than rich stories  sad

The American dream is just that, a dream,

For the truth, read the following:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6857387/site/newsweek/
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 11:34am On May 06, 2007
donjohano, I'm working hard on it grin
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by GNature(m): 11:38am On May 06, 2007
donjohano:

I know, I know, but there ain't no UK equivalent of Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Barack Obama, etc, etc.

So true.

Let me give you an example. I am not going to talk about my self because I am not the bragging type.

I know of a guy who came here with his O' levels from Naija at 17. His parents were not that rich in Naija, but he had an uncle here in the states to stay with. When he got here, he enrolled in a community college and worked as a waiter at a restaurant. He spent a year with his uncle and moved out on his own.

Because he had to support himself, the 60 credits that usually takes 2 years to complete took him 5 years ! But he hung in there.
To cut a long story short, this guy graduated from pharmacy school in 2005 (Pharm. D degree) and do you know what his starting salary was ?  $75,000 !!

Another Nigerian friend of mine who came here with his O' levels used to take the bus everywhere, he used to work at a fast food chain and his first car was a junkie. He is now a Mechanical Engineer. He just completed his MBA last year. He brings home over $60,000 a year.

Should I go on ?

Reverend:

There are far more rag stories than rich stories  sad

I beg to differ !   America does not work out for some folks because they are not willing to put in the work. They expect overnight success, but that is not what this place is all about.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 11:40am On May 06, 2007
J-girl, stay where you are!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 11:44am On May 06, 2007
na wa, you changed your mind already? cheesy

Let me set one thing straight. I love the lifestyle here but I miss home so the thing is I find reasons to be angry at US.
UK is just a personal preference, nothing complicated.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Reverend(m): 11:45am On May 06, 2007
The saddest part is all the Nigerians who want to leave their native lands to make other nations richer and live out ficticious dreams.

Surely, the best idea would be to stay at home and try and make your own nation stronger and more financially viable.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by donjohano(m): 11:51am On May 06, 2007
J, you'd be just as angry in the UK.

Reverend, I hear you but armed robbers, lack of electricity (my diesel bill pisses me off monthly), the sheer drudgery of getting things done,
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by GNature(m): 11:58am On May 06, 2007
Oh yes,  I just remembered this Akin guy.

This guy called Akin, he studied computer science in the UK. He is a UK citizen, but he has lots of friends here in the U.S., so he visits often.

One time when he visited, we were all discussing and the issue of salaries came up. There were some Computer science graduates making
more than $40,000 (with less than 1 year of experience). Akin had more than 3 years of experience in the UK and was making less than that.

Akin was fascinated when he saw the car and homes his fellow CS majors were driving and living in here in the states.

He then decided to move here. This guy was so good that he got about 3 job offers of not less than $50,000 when he moved to the states. He said he makes more and can save more because there is less taxes here than the UK.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by anusule(m): 8:28pm On May 06, 2007
In the UK, (negatives)
its really hard gettin a gud job if you are black and did not study in any of their schools, even if you did, our skin is different. even at work, they dont wont like you, they keep saying love love. its all false.
the uk culture is bad, why for God sake should small kids be kissing on the streets?
why should they be saying ''i hate my mum''
why should a wife accuse the husband of rape??.
most of them dont have peace, their kids dont respect them, they get divorced anyhow. they kill each other.
you see ciggerettes everyfuckinwhere, they smoke igbo on the road, it really s**ks.
the weather is unpredictable.
street cams everywhere, its really annoying. even in buses u find them.
small houses, no creativity like we nigerians have.
majority dont believe in God, they dont go to church
difficult to use their accent especially in most parts like the north except london and some other west areas.

In the UK, (positives)
very very good education system.
24hrs light
organised transport system
good roads
good work pay.
enough choppies and enuff discounts
enuff rights
enuff laws.
there are other things that is good about the uk which i cant remember now. smiley

I have not lived in the US and dont know how things are being run there, but im sure its better than the UK. there are more of blacks there, you can easily speak their american english and you will go along with the system easily.

therefore,
i think i would prefer the US.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by felia(f): 3:28pm On May 07, 2007
"anusule" you said it all. u.s is the best.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

New Terminal of the Port Harcourt International Airport due for commission Thurs / The Hypocrisy Of Anti Japa People On Nairaland. / FG Introduces Temporary Passports For Nigerians Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.