Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? (25596 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any HSE Professionals In The House? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by pneumaticos(m): 1:31pm On Sep 27, 2012
Bams95: thanks,i will give it a try.just dont know some of these companies that use oracle.seriously speaking,i am ready to work for free.

u can contact some companies like computer warehouse cyberspace and others cos they are the once that manage the IT infastructure of most of the firms that uses oracle...like mtn which i know of but am sure there are others that use it ...i tink u shuold get mssql certication too cos while oracle is often use at the production center of most of this companies they use mssql for the customer service or friendship centers....hope u get me
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 1:38pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Ohh ok...if you need an Oracle job that badly then i dare you to walk into any company that uses Oracle and tell them you want to work for them for free, at least for some time in order to garner some experience. It will also help your CV. Do it and thank me later.
if i have an oracle teaching job,i will do it.even the teaching jobs are not there?

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by benJAVA: 1:40pm On Sep 27, 2012
@Bams95, Afam just answered u correctly, I also have the following certification MCTS,MCPD,OCPJP but I just got them of recent, after spending 10 years as a web/software developer and we do alot of DBA job along the way. Cert. is just paper, dont expect people to respect it unlease you have the experience to defend it, so dont wait for DBA job when several other IT related jobs a begging for attention in Nigeria, Note: despite my certification I'm still self-employed because I took the exams because of the book I'm authoring you know Nigerians love certificates

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 27, 2012
I could easily get an employer 4 u but u need to be skilfull in java,mysql,access and web programming. You could also have a little knowledge on networking. That would make any I.T Training centre hire u and pay u per hour. From there,u will get a better job as database Administrator. Gudluck
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by wonlasewonimi: 2:03pm On Sep 27, 2012
Most companies use Ms Access as their database in Nigeria. Cheapskates!

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 2:04pm On Sep 27, 2012
wonlasewonimi: Most companies use Ms Access as their database in Nigeria. Cheapskates!
God forbid.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by lond07: 2:08pm On Sep 27, 2012
Bams95: Please people,
what hope do oracle DBAs have in getting jobs in Nigeria?
Is there any prospect in being an oracle DBA?
Are companies in Nigeria really using Oracle at the moment?
and what hope for the inexperienced oracle professionals in Nigeria, because it seems the
very few jobs that are available are for oracle DBAs with years of experience.

please i need your contributions.

Well, like many suggested, you can diversify into programmimg which will be an added advantage to you. I have ACP(2007)AND OCP(2010) but later changed into programming. It's much easier landing a job as a programmer and can as well do well as self employed.

Note however, that your previous experience always go with you. It's an added advantage

All the best wishes

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Bams95: 2:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
maryjames9: I could easily get an employer 4 u but u need to be skilfull in java,mysql,access and web programming. You could also have a little knowledge on networking. That would make any I.T Training centre hire u and pay u per hour. From there,u will get a better job as database Administrator. Gudluck
thanks,am skillful in mysql,microsoft access,oracle SQL and Pl/SQL,I can use oracle on LINUX/UNIX platform,i can perform backup and recovery using RMAN,i can do various oracle database administration work.knowledge of microsoft excel,powerpoint and word.but i cant lie to u,i dont currently av knowledge in java and web programin,but i have the plan to learn them.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by idowuswap: 2:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
Can igbo desist 4rom thier robbery then kill police at ikeja.but then catch them dey want spoil yorubaland lagos then go die 1 by 1
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by wonlasewonimi: 2:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
idowuswap: Can igbo desist 4rom thier robbery then kill police at ikeja.but then catch them dey want spoil yorubaland lagos then go die 1 by 1

Is this PL/SQL or T-SQL?

afam4eva:
God forbid.

Why?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by ektbear: 2:20pm On Sep 27, 2012
wonlasewonimi: Most companies use Ms Access as their database in Nigeria. Cheapskates!

What is wrong with this? If you don't have huge amounts of data and/or don't have significant performance needs, why is this a bad idea?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by kesx(m): 2:20pm On Sep 27, 2012
idowuswap: Can igbo desist 4rom thier robbery then kill police at ikeja.but then catch them dey want spoil yorubaland lagos then go die 1 by 1
You must be very stupid !!!

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by ektbear: 2:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

you should have done CCNA

What is CCNA?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Mayden: 2:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
I would advice that you add other skills to improve your chances. Right now, most companies in Nigeria use SAP (All-in-one or Business One depending on their size and budget). SAP itself runs on an Oracle Database and you'll find most SAP BASIS/ABAP consultants being proficient in both SAP and ODB and this means that these companies won't need the services of professionals that are strictly proficient in Oracle.

My advice, upgrade your knowledge and skills continually. What you know now may not be useful in 5-10years!

@idowuswap, kindly keep your posts related to the topic. And while you're at it, brush up on your english/spelling. Even your pidgin is very bad undecided

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by ektbear: 2:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
Sky-walker:

MSSQL is more common than oracle in most companies which are small to medium business.Oracle is too expensive and its mostly used by very large organizations.

As others have said, if you are a small business, may as well use Access (or MySql, PostgreSQL, or even Sqlite)
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by shagaman: 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2012
OP, Definitely there are oracle jobs in Nigeria,however it also depends on your knowledge,oracle professional goes beyond the normal select statement,experience also matters,most guys finish oracle training and wants to go into telecoms,some it works,for some it doesn't,organisations use oracle very well,Etisalat,Glo,MTN,Airtel,this are organisations that use it,how good are you with ASM,RAC,DATAGUARD,OEM, these are but few things you need to know.
i am an oracle professional and also MSSQL professional as i use both,but all in all it takes the grace of GOD..

all the best...Its well.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 27, 2012
Switch from Oracle to Arusi-Ibudu grin
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 27, 2012
Switch from Oracle to Arusi-Ibudu grin
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by wonlasewonimi: 2:30pm On Sep 27, 2012
ekt_bear:

What is wrong with this? If you don't have huge amounts of data and/or don't have significant performance needs, why is this a bad idea?

MS Access shouldn't be used as the back end if you deal with sensitive information be it small annd large organisation. I heard a bank was using it. Don't know how far it's true.
ekt_bear:

What is CCNA?

Central Certified Nursing Assistant
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by DonTim1: 2:33pm On Sep 27, 2012
Like already stated, ur best bet is being a trainer, have been certified and training both oracle and MSSQLS for some years now, even when u get a job as an administrator, there is hardly a database to administer cus majority of the multinational coy that use oracle have scheduled jobs to manage administration and u end up as figure head and making money doin nothin. bro, brush up ur programming,networking and others, become independent, work for urself, cos even the training centers would bleep u up with very bad pay compared to u doing stuff for urself.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by deserteagl: 2:53pm On Sep 27, 2012
Kindly mind your language bruv, stick to the subject and quit making an exhibition of your intellectual deficiency.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 2:54pm On Sep 27, 2012
wonlasewonimi:

MS Access shouldn't be used as the back end if you deal with sensitive information be it small annd large organisation. I heard a bank was using it. Don't know how far it's true.

The average Nigerian bank has something like five hundred branches, and maybe 2,000 plus ATMs.
Can you power all of that on Access?
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by garripack: 3:00pm On Sep 27, 2012
THE SIMPLE TRUTH IS DAT NIGERIA IS BACKWARD IN I.T WHICH IS REALLY PAINFUL.......I AM A (MSSQL) DBA STILL STUDYING C# AND JAVA(SV3) IN (NIIT) FESTAC BUT I CAN TELL YOU DAT THE CHANCES OF GETTING A GOOD JOB HERE IS REALLY NARROW NIGERIA AS A COUNTRY STILL USES MS-EXCEL, MS-ACCESS, AND OTHER LITTLE DB APP FOR KEEPING OF DATA/INVENTORIES WHICH IS WHY AS A DB WE WERE TAUGHT FROM THE SCRATCH.....OF DB....COS OVER HERE IN NIGERIA DATS THE ONLY WAY TO SURVIVE.....

DONT BE DISCOURAGE STUDY EITHER WEB DEVELOPING OR SOMETHING ELSE DAT YOU COULD DO WITHOUT RE-LYING ON EMPLOYMENT AS AN IT PROFFESSIONAL DATS WAT I WAS TAUGHT....WISH U LUCK
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by kayLion(m): 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
Shout out to the OP..we are in the same shoe...and greater shout out to d wise ones who has helped with advices....my problem is that I also wanna quit carrying my OCA everywhere...I think I want to learn how to do Web designing, App designing and software designing....I have to say the truth...I don't enjoy classes without practice...so, if anybody can help me with a firm where I can be an intern...I wouldn't mind...going to hiit/niit na long thing...pls help, am getting tired of joblessness pls...I want to learn something new and forge ahead in life....thx all..
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by richfaxy: 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2012
I will tell you that there are companies that use oracle, i know quite a few companies that use oracle DB. I know a company in Abuja that is currently looking for oracle DBAs.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by Goodcare(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2012
and i just paid my fees at my present computer training school .........ehhhhh, God help me ooooo
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by garripack: 3:14pm On Sep 27, 2012
richfaxy: I will tell you that there are companies that use oracle, i know quite a few companies that use oracle DB. I know a company in Abuja that is currently looking for oracle DBAs.

MR MAN MENTION IT AND STOP PRANTING ABOUT
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by garripack: 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2012
kayLion: Shout out to the OP..we are in the same shoe...and greater shout out to d wise ones who has helped with advices....my problem is that I also wanna quit carrying my OCA everywhere...I think I want to learn how to do Web designing, App designing and software designing....I have to say the truth...I don't enjoy classes without practice...so, if anybody can help me with a firm where I can be an intern...I wouldn't mind...going to hiit/niit na long thing...pls help, am getting tired of joblessness pls...I want to learn something new and forge ahead in life....thx all..

YOU CAN GO ON TO (NIIT) OR (APTECH) TO THOSE SKULS RE MORE PRACTICAL
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by hotwax: 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
I am not Oracle certified. But I use it for development and project implementations.

The certification is just too over-hyped. The Job is scare and there are no much know-how out there. There are millions of oracle certified but without know-how skills.
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by ektbear: 3:37pm On Sep 27, 2012
wonlasewonimi:

Why?

`
Central Certified Nursing Assistant
If this is indeed what the acronym stands for, I've no clue what relevance his comment has to the thread
Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by gidiMonsta(m): 3:38pm On Sep 27, 2012
hotwax: I am not Oracle certified. But I use it for development and project implementations.

The certification is just too over-hyped. The Job is scare and there are no much know-how out there. There are millions of oracle certified but without know-how skills.

You're so on point, its soooo easy to pass the 3 exams that make you an OCP nowadays that you'll find people who can't create a simple loopback adapter on windows claiming they're Oracle professionals angry angry angry and you expect organisations to place their balls in the hands of these novices?

There are oracle jobs in Nigeria but sadly lost to expatriates (Indians) and man-know-man backroom employments.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? by ektbear: 3:43pm On Sep 27, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The average Nigerian bank has something like five hundred branches, and maybe 2,000 plus ATMs.
Can you power all of that on Access?

1. How many gigs of data do you want to store in the DB?
2. Can Access be run in server mode, so that remote applications can access the data on one central server?
3. Can it be made secure?
4. How many transactions per second does your system need to handle?

From googling around, the answer to (2) is yes. Answer to (3) I would imagine is "probably."

Then (1) and (4) are application specific.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mohammed Abubakar, Former Aircraft Cleaner Set To Become Captain 24 Years After / Today, I Quit Gambling!!! / Do You Know Any Successful Person That Didn't Attend Any School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.