Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176656 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:48pm On Jun 10, 2013
smoothsailor: please i'm a new dv winner that just came into the country and residing in minnesota. please i have a wife that is four month pregnant and i will like to know the benefits we qualify for as a green card holder and where she can get started with the anti natal things because we are just finding our feet and as of present, we still lives with a friend as we are less down 2 weeks old in the country. Thnks

You are welcome, tell your wife to locate WIC programme office closer to your location. they will give her all necessary information she needs.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:54pm On Jun 10, 2013
pator: Please I have a concern I need to clarify. My host just raised an issue that my wife might not be able to work for several months or even years because we will be going with about 3 months old baby. His argument is that we will not be able to afford a nanny and so she has to stay at home to nurse the baby. Please experience people how true is this?

Cost of day care officially ranges from $20-$40/day but that doesn't mean she cant work, all you need is planning, if two of you work you can afford it even if she works part time.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by owobabaisabella: 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2013
Touch down on USA soil on the 8th of June at Newark International Airport aboard a virgin-atlantic flight from London. Went through the immigration and people were looking at me because I join the line of permanent residents with a green passport on my hand,but I don't care cos I know am a permanent resident too lol. After 30mins am done with the immigration officer, all glory be unto God for everything. This is my second day in North Brunswick, New Jersey.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Leripa(m): 12:09am On Jun 11, 2013
owobabaisabella: Touch down on USA soil on the 8th of June at Newark International Airport aboard a virgin-atlantic flight from London. Went through the immigration and people were looking at me because I join the line of permanent residents with a green passport on my hand,but I don't care cos I know am a permanent resident too lol. After 30mins am done with the immigration officer, all glory be unto God for everything. This is my second day in North Brunswick, New Jersey.

Welcome to America bro.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:18am On Jun 11, 2013
owobabaisabella: Touch down on USA soil on the 8th of June at Newark International Airport aboard a virgin-atlantic flight from London. Went through the immigration and people were looking at me because I join the line of permanent residents with a green passport on my hand,but I don't care cos I know am a permanent resident too lol. After 30mins am done with the immigration officer, all glory be unto God for everything. This is my second day in North Brunswick, New Jersey.

Owobaba you are welcome.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by owobabaisabella: 12:20am On Jun 11, 2013
@leripa n soj, thanks bro
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ogba1: 12:44am On Jun 11, 2013
Dear Nairalander, it has been a challenging experience. Touch down some few days ago with family in Houston, Texas. The Airport experience was good and welcoming. Host has been welcoming. But the difficult aspect is that one needs a second death to fit into the system of things here in Gods own country.Very unlike naija where anything goes. The waiting game continues for GC, SSN and Shola Shola. Thanks to all forumites. With duggedness we will get there where we want to be. Our strength is in HIM who failleth not.To all our gratitude.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by lorddom(m): 1:28am On Jun 11, 2013
olanrewaju76: Hi guys up there, I am a DV selectee and I have been scheduled for interview in the American embassy next week. what was it like during your time? I mean what I should expect. Thanks
u be want make them schedule you appointment na for African embassy hahaha no ofence abeg na just fun
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:57am On Jun 11, 2013
ogba1: Dear Nairalander, it has been a challenging experience. Touch down some few days ago with family in Houston, Texas. The Airport experience was good and welcoming. Host has been welcoming. But the difficult aspect is that one needs a second death to fit into the system of things here in Gods own country.Very unlike naija where anything goes. The waiting game continues for GC, SSN and Shola Shola. Thanks to all forumites. With duggedness we will get there where we want to be. Our strength is in HIM who failleth not.To all our gratitude.

Welcome Ogba1, you will surely fit in with time,it is gradual.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 7:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
Good my people may the good God of heaven strengthen all of you that are helping us out here. Please i humbly need information as regards Nigeria WAEC and NECO result if one have all this is it necessary to write GED exam here?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Leripa(m): 8:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
ogba1: Dear Nairalander, it has been a challenging experience. Touch down some few days ago with family in Houston, Texas. The Airport experience was good and welcoming. Host has been welcoming. But the difficult aspect is that one needs a second death to fit into the system of things here in Gods own country.Very unlike naija where anything goes. The waiting game continues for GC, SSN and Shola Shola. Thanks to all forumites. With duggedness we will get there where we want to be. Our strength is in HIM who failleth not.To all our gratitude.

Welcome to America my bro. It is well.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
When ever i face some challenges here and quickly call one of my big mentors here in America to lament my plight, He simply reply by saying " AMERICA DREAM NONI !!!". : Meaning, NOTHING GOOD COMES EASY.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:07pm On Jun 11, 2013
agbaawo: Good my people may the good God of heaven strengthen all of you that are helping us out here. Please i humbly need information as regards Nigeria WAEC and NECO result if one have all this is it necessary to write GED exam here?

You dont need GED once you have high school diploma =waec/neco certificate

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
seal777: When ever i face some challenges here and quickly call one of my big mentors here in America to lament my plight, He simply reply by saying " AMERICA DREAM NONI !!!". : Meaning, NOTHING GOOD COMES EASY.

NO PAIN NO GAIN..

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 12:14am On Jun 12, 2013
@adesojiaderemi thanks so much.............
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ogba1: 2:19am On Jun 12, 2013
Dear Forumites, is possible for me to drive with my nigerian drivers license for one year as read from the Texas Driving Manual or I need to do something more. Response Please.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:57am On Jun 12, 2013
ogba1: Dear Forumites, is possible for me to drive with my nigerian drivers license for one year as read from the Texas Driving Manual or I need to do something more. Response Please.

I will advice you visit your nearest DMV to confirm your driving status.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 7:56pm On Jun 12, 2013
smoothsailor: please i'm a new dv winner that just came into the country and residing in minnesota. please i have a wife that is four month pregnant and i will like to know the benefits we qualify for as a green card holder and where she can get started with the anti natal things because we are just finding our feet and as of present, we still lives with a friend as we are less down 2 weeks old in the country. Thnks

Hi Smoothsailor, it is well.
I went through a similar route.
I suggest you apply for medicaid for your wife's delivery.
Since you are not presently working, you can apply for SNAP to take care of your feeding as a family.
Find out where your local WIC office is located. Apply for WIC at least for your wife and later for the baby.
All these are your rights at least before you start working.
Don't listen to confusionists who will likely tell you its not possible.
So i was told until i made my investigations and got them for my family at least before working.
Moreover, the SNAP will help your host as it contributes towards feeding in the house.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by smoothsailor: 9:16pm On Jun 12, 2013
[quote author=loconzo00]

Hi Smoothsailor, it is well.
I went through a similar route.
I suggest you apply for medicaid for your wife's delivery.
Since you are not presently working, you can apply for SNAP to take care of your feeding as a family.
Find out where your local WIC office is located. Apply for WIC at least for your wife and later for the baby.
All these are your rights at least before you start working.
Don't listen to confusionists who will likely tell you its not possible.
So i was told until i made my investigations and got them for my family at least before working.
Moreover, the SNAP will help your host as it contributes towards feeding in the house.

@loconzo00, thank you so much and God will always bless your ways too. i will go to the WIC office when our SSN drops in because i believe i will need it also? and will let you know wot they say thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 12:04am On Jun 13, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

Cost of day care officially ranges from $20-$40/day but that doesn't mean she cant work, all you need is planning, if two of you work you can afford it even if she works part time.
As you said,all depends on planning.If they have different shift,it would be easy.Wife work morning shift while husband takecare of pickin.Husband work after or night shift while wife take care of pickin(or child grin grin).I have a female ghanian at my work place that does similar thing
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by missannie: 5:44am On Jun 13, 2013
Pls House Members, I have stayed in America for A Month now, but i still haven't recieved my GC. How long those it take for GC to arrive. I paid my USIC fee before leaving 9ja. If u have collected your GC, how long did you wait. Thanks.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:42am On Jun 13, 2013
missannie: Pls House Members, I have stayed in America for A Month now, but i still haven't recieved my GC. How long those it take for GC to arrive. I paid my USIC fee before leaving 9ja. If u have collected your GC, how long did you wait. Thanks.

You may need to call the USCIS office ASAP, make sure you have your receipt number and alien number available.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mogzy(m): 12:51pm On Jun 13, 2013
Hi all,Thanks to the old guys for taking the time to attend to various questions and concerns.
I thought I should update you guys on the latest. I came in to Houston last Thursday and I had this conversation with a middle age immigration officer.

officer: where are you coming from (he had my passport already)
me : Nigeria
officer: How long did you stay?
me : 5 months
officer: how long are you planning to stay
me : well ehmm, hemmm it's gonna take a while
officer: What do you mean it's gonna take a while, a month, 2 months tell me something(ticket shows 17th of June return)
me : well you know, I just got married to my long time fiancee and had to spend sometime with my her, but I'm back
now to look for job and then settle down (him no ask me all that story o)
officer: ok, place your hand on there (finger prints)

Well this is my lil' experience on my returning to the US after coming Nov 2012 and leaving in January this year. my plan is not to be shuttling this way but just just trying to manage and get somethings in place before final relocation. I should be heading back to Naija by Next week God's willing with the plan to come back permanently by October.
I'm just hoping, them go welcome me when I show that time sha...
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ikemans: 4:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
Hello all, I would be very grateful if gurus in the house can advise me on this issue. A friend of mine has a dv visa which expires in August 2013. He is currently very busy at school so can not leave till mid-July. The problem is he has only five days to spend in the USA because he has to return to finish his exams. My question is that, is it possible for him to travel to the USA, get his passport stumped ( which makes his visa valid for one year) and leave the USA after about five days without waiting for his green card?
Will get any problems if he want to re-enter USA with his passport again (maybe after 2 months) without a green card?

Thank you all for the wonderful work you are doing here.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 5:00pm On Jun 13, 2013
[quote author=smoothsailor][/quote]
Good luck brother.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by missannie: 5:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

You may need to call the USCIS office ASAP, make sure you have your receipt number and alien number available.
I made d call today & i was told that they have mail it since 20th of May @ my old address, but when i got to the point of entry; I gave them the new address. I wonder why they still posted it to the old address. Though, they gave me a tracking number & told me to call US Post office services. But if am still unable to get it, that means i'll apply for a New one. I pray i get it oo!

Thank you so much Adesojiaderemi, my prayer for you today is that God will bless you mightily. Thanks, am greatful.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
missannie:
I made d call today & i was told that they have mail it since 20th of May @ my old address, but when i got to the point of entry; I gave them the new address. I wonder why they still posted it to the old address. Though, they gave me a tracking number & told me to call US Post office services. But if am still unable to get it, that means i'll apply for a New one. I pray i get it oo!

Thank you so much Adesojiaderemi, my prayer for you today is that God will bless you mightily. Thanks, am greatful.

Try locating the old one by calling the post office and have then track it, liaise with the USCIS and have them sent it back to you......Its not free to get a new one having lost the initial one. It might cost you as much as $450. I stand to be corrected
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by hitunes(m): 10:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
ikemans: Hello all, I would be very grateful if gurus in the house can advise me on this issue. A friend of mine has a dv visa which expires in August 2013. He is currently very busy at school so can not leave till mid-July. The problem is he has only five days to spend in the USA because he has to return to finish his exams. My question is that, is it possible for him to travel to the USA, get his passport stumped ( which makes his visa valid for one year) and leave the USA after about five days without waiting for his green card?
Will get any problems if he want to re-enter USA with his passport again (maybe after 2 months) without a green card?

Thank you all for the wonderful work you are doing here.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:17pm On Jun 14, 2013
missannie:

Just take it easy my sister, Can you get across to your contact person in the old address if he/she was able to get the mail? if not, you may need to file I-90 for replacement of green card.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by tosdem(f): 3:48pm On Jun 17, 2013
Goodmorning to u all this good trend,plx I need an help that I think is given me little stress,my husband try to make our 165$ online payment before we left nigeria but he can't where to make the payment wen he created the account till we take our liv to state and the reason why we live earlier is that we have some chanllanges with the airline we booked that I wouldn't behable to fly until I put to bed and before my hubby booked the ticket he spoke with one the agent and tell her my condition that can I fly,she respond that I can but I have to go with medical report frm our doctor tham healthy,so we done that but ungeting to airport the refuse saying that I av to follow there medical process wish we last for 3days before they can giv a respond and this make us to mis our flight and bill us to rebook mean that we to had some amount the the one we've payed before and was@hi rate I paid 1200$additonal payment I did this because it hard for urs to move back to where we are coming frm so we lodge in hotel for good 3days before there medical report come from there headquater so we received a call that we can fly now and we most fly within 4days of there respond and this make my hubby spend a lot and our host also given a condition that his using asingle room apartment that it can't contain us that we perpared like 600$ and all the money that my hubby plan for our well being there he booked 3k with him because his the only person doing it all I can't lie for that is a dearing strong man so the problem now is that the money we want to use for the 165 for the 3 of has been spend for so medical on our daughter sa am writen to u my hubby is in hospital looking after our daughter really is a father also a good husband I knw is not happy with all is happen but he dnt want anytin to affect me so he force himself to make me and my daughter happy,so thsi is my Q we are just having just a token his account now that can pay for just a person can he pay for his own alone pending the time he ll start working and how can he go with it because we can't find any place to make payment on that site.........plx ur attention is needed mr temmy mr remi also everyone that has ideal how we can make the payment thanks and god bless
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 9:11pm On Jun 17, 2013
tosdem: Goodmorning to u all this good trend,plx I need an help that I think is given me little stress,my husband try to make our 165$ online payment before we left nigeria but he can't where to make the payment wen he created the account till we take our liv to state and the reason why we live earlier is that we have some chanllanges with the airline we booked that I wouldn't behable to fly until I put to bed and before my hubby booked the ticket he spoke with one the agent and tell her my condition that can I fly,she respond that I can but I have to go with medical report frm our doctor tham healthy,so we done that but ungeting to airport the refuse saying that I av to follow there medical process wish we last for 3days before they can giv a respond and this make us to mis our flight and bill us to rebook mean that we to had some amount the the one we've payed before and was@hi rate I paid 1200$additonal payment I did this because it hard for urs to move back to where we are coming frm so we lodge in hotel for good 3days before there medical report come from there headquater so we received a call that we can fly now and we most fly within 4days of there respond and this make my hubby spend a lot and our host also given a condition that his using asingle room apartment that it can't contain us that we perpared like 600$ and all the money that my hubby plan for our well being there he booked 3k with him because his the only person doing it all I can't lie for that is a dearing strong man so the problem now is that the money we want to use for the 165 for the 3 of has been spend for so medical on our daughter sa am writen to u my hubby is in hospital looking after our daughter really is a father also a good husband I knw is not happy with all is happen but he dnt want anytin to affect me so he force himself to make me and my daughter happy,so thsi is my Q we are just having just a token his account now that can pay for just a person can he pay for his own alone pending the time he ll start working and how can he go with it because we can't find any place to make payment on that site.........plx ur attention is needed mr temmy mr remi also everyone that has ideal how we can make the payment thanks and god bless

It is well with your family.
You are definitely getting out of this. Just be prayerful.
I want to believe your husband is the main applicant but whatever be the case, let him pay for the GC processing so he can start working as you mentioned.
Afterwards, you have to find a way to pay for yours and kid's because women and children attract more considerations in terms of WIC and SNAP because you need them with your present circumstance.
Please go to this site for information on how to pay
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3a2bb75e8109b310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Good luck.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:47pm On Jun 17, 2013
loconzo00:

I want to believe your husband is the main applicant but whatever be the case, let him pay for the GC processing so he can start working as you mentioned.
Afterwards, you have to find a way to pay for yours and kid's because women and children attract more considerations in terms of WIC and SNAP because you need them with your present circumstance.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3a2bb75e8109b310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCR

Good luck.
tosdem: Goodmorning to u all this good trend,plx I need an help that I think is given me little stress,my husband try to make our 165$ online payment before we left nigeria but he can't where to make the payment wen he created the account till we take our liv to state and the reason why we live earlier is that we have some chanllanges with the airline we booked that I wouldn't behable to fly until I put to bed and before my hubby booked the ticket he spoke with one the agent and tell her my condition that can I fly,she respond that I can but I have to go with medical report frm our doctor tham healthy,so we done that but ungeting to airport the refuse saying that I av to follow there medical process wish we last for 3days before they can giv a respond and this make us to mis our flight and bill us to rebook mean that we to had some amount the the one we've payed before and was@hi rate I paid 1200$additonal payment I did this because it hard for urs to move back to where we are coming frm so we lodge in hotel for good 3days before there medical report come from there headquater so we received a call that we can fly now and we most fly within 4days of there respond and this make my hubby spend a lot and our host also given a condition that his using asingle room apartment that it can't contain us that we perpared like 600$ and all the money that my hubby plan for our well being there he booked 3k with him because his the only person doing it all I can't lie for that is a dearing strong man so the problem now is that the money we want to use for the 165 for the 3 of has been spend for so medical on our daughter sa am writen to u my hubby is in hospital looking after our daughter really is a father also a good husband I knw is not happy with all is happen but he dnt want anytin to affect me so he force himself to make me and my daughter happy,so thsi is my Q we are just having just a token his account now that can pay for just a person can he pay for his own alone pending the time he ll start working and how can he go with it because we can't find any place to make payment on that site.........plx ur attention is needed mr temmy mr remi also everyone that has ideal how we can make the payment thanks and god bless
loconzo00:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3a2bb75e8109b310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCR

Good luck.

It is well with you and your family Mam, just to buttress what my friend advised, your husband can go ahead and pay for his green card and later process yours. Your stamped naija passport can still take you up to one year. Visit WIC center closer to you and get all the necessary info you need.

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.